Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

On 7/3/2021 at 12:45 AM, topanga said:

Great video. I turned it on, planning to see just the beginning. I ended up watching all 23 minutes. thanks for posting the link.

I read your comment, and literally said to myself 'well, I'M not gonna do that. I really do just want to see the first few minutes', and then I sat there and watched it all, too, lol. 

• LOL 1

Really happy about Bowen Yang being nominated for an Emmy.  The first time a featured player has been nominated, that's crazy!  Truly incredible.

However, I'm really sad Rege Jean Page wasn't nominated for hosting!

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 1.10.33 PM.png

• Love 6
(edited)

21 nominations! That's pretty high, and I'm really happy to see it.  I think it's the highest for any show on broadcast TV.   

Really happy about Bowen Yang being nominated for an Emmy.  The first time a featured player has been nominated, that's crazy!  Truly incredible.

However, I'm really sad Rege Jean Page wasn't nominated for hosting!

Very happy for Bowen indeed. That's quite an accomplishment for a featured player. Of course he won't be a featured much longer. (Two year max limit on that. I've always wondered if it was a union rule or something.)  I think he has the buzz to win. We will see. I'd probably give to Kenan just for his longevity, but I really do think Bowen has the heat.

I hope Cecily wins, but I'm less sure of that category. I know Ted Lasso has a lot of buzz. But I consider Cecily to be the Phil Hartman of her group. Kate is flashier and gets the headlines. Cecily quietly holds it together.  

I thought Rege would be nominated too. I guess Alec Baldwin took that spot, which really does surprise me. At least it wasn't Jim Carrey.

I still don't understand how Adele WASN'T even submitted?!? She could have won. (And where was Adele's team? How are they not trying to shore up her EGOT status? I don't get the neglect.) 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

21 nominations! That's pretty high, and I'm really happy to see it.  I think it's the highest for any show on broadcast TV.   

Very happy for Bowen indeed. That's quite an accomplishment for a featured player. Of course he won't be a featured much longer. (Two year max limit on that. I've always wondered if it was a union rule or something.)  I think he has the buzz to win. We will see. I'd probably give to Kenan just for his longevity, but I really do think Bowen has the heat.

I hope Cecily wins, but I'm less sure of that category. I know Ted Lasso has a lot of buzz. But I consider Cecily to be the Phil Hartman of her group. Kate is flashier and gets the headlines. Cecily quietly holds it together.  

I thought Rege would be nominated too. I guess Alec Baldwin took that spot, which really does surprise me. At least it wasn't Jim Carrey.

I still don't understand how Adele WASN'T even submitted?!? She could have won. (And where was Adele's team? How are they not trying to shore up her EGOT status? I don't get the neglect.) 

I AM Not Sure This is What You Are Saying ,But Adam Sadler Was A Featured Player OR They Say With FIVE YEARS Before Adam Sadler Became A Regular Player ! 

• Useful 1

While performing on stage in Los Angeles, Dennis Miller caught his act and recommended Sandler to SNL producer Lorne Michaels. After spending a few seasons as a featured player, Sandler became a full-fledged member of the cast in the 1993-94 season.

Interesting.  Adam was hired as a writer in 1990.

Seems like he was a full fledged member at 1993.  I guess the years in between that he was a featured player.

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Interesting.  Adam was hired as a writer in 1990.

Seems like he was a full fledged member at 1993.  I guess the years in between that he was a featured player.

The Book With The Interviews Had The Cast Members From Each Year ! That Book Had Adam Sandler As A Featured Player And The Next Year Was With And The Following Year Was Featured A Couple More Times I Think ! ! !  They Might Have Had AT Least Two With's ! 

From what I've been reading about this story from journalists on the comedy beat (especially Seth Simons, perpetual burr in Michael Che's craw), this whole thing is bigger than Horatio. It was not uncommon at that time for (male) cast members to reach out to teenage fansite runners and invite them to show events. I hope I'm wrong, but I think all the dark shit we already know about this show runs a lot deeper than we realize. It's why I get so annoyed at all the non-critical publicity it gets away with sometimes.

Jimmy Fallon's name comes up a lot in those docs, though people have pointed out he was unlikely to be fully aware of what was happening around him at that time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

From what I've been reading about this story from journalists on the comedy beat (especially Seth Simons, perpetual burr in Michael Che's craw), this whole thing is bigger than Horatio. It was not uncommon at that time for (male) cast members to reach out to teenage fansite runners and invite them to show events. I hope I'm wrong, but I think all the dark shit we already know about this show runs a lot deeper than we realize. It's why I get so annoyed at all the non-critical publicity it gets away with sometimes.

Jimmy Fallon's name comes up a lot in those docs, though people have pointed out he was unlikely to be fully aware of what was happening around him at that time.

Yes. The document makes some reference to this as I think the person who filed the suit claims they were told to avoid another cast member because he'd sexually assaulted or harassed a friend of theirs.

Then there is, as you say, Fallon. 

Fallon has told his share of stories about heavy drinking and partying, IIRC, so if he and Sanz were both completely messed up at this time, it  just shows how irresponsible NBC (this being the Zucker era, which was grimy in general) and Lorne were in handling this situation. 

I'd like to think after the scuzzy early '00s passed some of this alleged behavior was cleaned up, but that is probably naive of me, as it was far from new with SNL (or the industry) at the time. Much as I have a lot of history and  love for many periods of the show, it's hard to stomach all the backstage ugliness, so much of which we can't even begin to know about. I wish, at the very least, NBC could start making some long-overdue changes, right at the top of the show and the network itself. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5

He says there will be new cast.... I think the cast is already huge. Unless a lot of people leave, I wonder if the new normal will mean rotating who is on or off each week, to give more flexibility to some of the ones who otherwise would have wanted to leave.

• Love 2

I have a pretty hard rule about avoiding all things Kardashian. Not looking forward to that one at all. It also reminds me of Tina Fey going on about how horrible it was trying to do a show with Paris Hilton. Besides a Kardashian booking seems a little late now imo. It would had made more sense ten or even five years ago.

The rest of them are all fine, I guess.  I expected  Sudeikis.  But other than hoping that's a good show, nothing really excites me. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 11
On 9/22/2021 at 9:08 PM, possibilities said:

I guess we'll see Melissa do her Owen Wilson impression. I wonder if Owen has a Melissa impression.

I’m rather excited about Owen Wilson.  I kind of fell in love with his portrayal of his character on the show, “Loki” this summer.  I learned that a surprising amount of his best scenes on that show were the result of his improv efforts and suggestions, so maybe his writer’s soul will generate some good sketch ideas.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, Bruinsfan said:

At least they doubled up the people I actively want to avoid on 10/9 so I'll have no regrets about skipping it.

Aw, I kind of like Halsey’s music, and I liked that painting she did during one of her SNL performances:  very creative.  Has she done unfortunate things in her public life?  I don’t follow her life as a celebrity.

• Love 1

So at least according to this article Pete will be coming back. A little surprised, but I guess once Lorne asked the cast to stay, it probably makes sense. He does seem pretty busy though with ad campaigns and movies.

I also read that Kate is busy filming her new show Joe Exotic in Australia and with Covid flight restrictions in and out, probably won't make it back for awhile.  

Edited by vb68

The relevant quote from the article--

Davidson is about to start rehearsing for the new season of “SNL,” which begins Oct. 2 with Owen Wilson as the first host. “It all starts next week. Everybody is like emailing and texting each other so we’re all getting into the habit again,” he said.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I’m so disappointed about Beck leaving. He’s absolutely one of my favourites. Do we know if it was his decision? I don’t know of any other projects he has lined up.

I  Read A While Back That Beck's Wife Is in California And She Refuses To Move To New York ! What IF They Got Divorced ? Beck Is In Most Sketches And Plays The Most Male Parts ! Gee, Who Will Play Putin Now OR Mitch McConnell ? ? Also, I Thought For Sure That Cecily Was Leaving ! Beck And Cecily Are MY Two Most Favorites In The Cast ! ! Also, I Think IT Is Odd For Kyle To Be There And Beck Is Not ! ! Kyle Has Done Practically Every Thing So What Will He Do ? I DID Think Bowan And Chloe Would Be Updated To Regular Cast Members ! !  

9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Did Lauren Holt ever actually do anything on SNL besides stand in group shots where she was mistaken for Aidy?

I  Think Lauren Holt Was In A Couple OF Sketches ! One Time, Lauren Holt Was On Week End Update !  

• Love 1

Beck leaving feels very much like when Taran Killam got canned. I'm shocked that Kyle Mooney made the cut when Beck didn't, unless it was his choice to go.

I love Cecily, Aidy, Kate, and Kenan, but I feel like the cast is getting so bloated, and it's time to just pull the plug and give the new guys a chance to shine. I feel like Bowen Yang and Chloe Fineman are the only new cast members that have really made a splash in recent years (which is probably why Lorne seems so desperate to hold onto the show's "names.")

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Did Lauren Holt ever actually do anything on SNL besides stand in group shots where she was mistaken for Aidy?

Seriously.  I thought for sure her casting was because Aidy was going to leave soon for other projects and Lauren filled that 'niche.'  

Sad about Beck leaving, he was so good.  it'll be tough to replace some of his characters.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I love Cecily, Aidy, Kate, and Kenan, but I feel like the cast is getting so bloated, and it's time to just pull the plug and give the new guys a chance to shine. 

Yes, I'd love to see the cast pared down to what it was when SNL started. Everyone should be talented enuf to take on all different kinds of sketches and characters.

And yet I'm very disappointed that Beck won't be back. He was always great in every sketch.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Beck leaving feels very much like when Taran Killam got canned. I'm shocked that Kyle Mooney made the cut when Beck didn't, unless it was his choice to go.

I love Cecily, Aidy, Kate, and Kenan, but I feel like the cast is getting so bloated, and it's time to just pull the plug and give the new guys a chance to shine. I feel like Bowen Yang and Chloe Fineman are the only new cast members that have really made a splash in recent years (which is probably why Lorne seems so desperate to hold onto the show's "names.")

I think it’s more that the players are allowed to do more projects after being there for a few years while being allowed to stay. It seemed that you used to fulfill your 7 year contract (unless you got canned before that) and after that you either left to do movies and TV or stayed but couldn’t take on other things. Now you had Aidy, Cecily, Kate (who seems will be MIA for part of the season), Kenan and Pete to do the other stuff. Mind you that it helps that Lorne produces most of those projects but it looks he and NBC have loosened up on what actors are allowed to do now. They’re all still paid scale so if they can find ways to earn income, so be it.

• Love 2

Beck will definitely be missed--he was deceptively versatile.

Not surprised about Lauren, but I do feel bad. She was brought on to replace Aidy who has now outlasted her, she really did get screwed. But being a one-and-done on SNL is by no means a career death sentence--hoping she's able to land on her feet and thrive elsewhere.

Of the announced new people, I know James Austin Johnson from his Twitter presence. As with last year, here's hoping they're able to elbow their way into some good bits amongst the biggest cast in the show's history.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Of the announced new people, I know James Austin Johnson from his Twitter presence. As with last year, here's hoping they're able to elbow their way into some good bits amongst the biggest cast in the show's history.

I saw a video clip of James Austin Johnson and he does an excellent Trump impression. 

2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I saw a video clip of James Austin Johnson and he does an excellent Trump impression. 

I hope they aren't going to keep doing Trump sketches. They really need to focus on getting someone who does a good Biden impersonation.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know that. I thought the ones who were most popular negotiated their contracts for higher amounts.

I just assumed they were getting a ton of money. How much is scale? Maybe by my modest standards, it IS a ton of money. 

If I remember correctly it's not that bad compared to the average salary in flyover states if you're working regularly, but the cast has to deal with NYC cost of living.

How the hell did Colin Jost pay for that giant pee-colored diamond engagement ring?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know that. I thought the ones who were most popular negotiated their contracts for higher amounts.

Absolutely. There's no way Kenan or Kate are making scale. Once your initial contract is over, I think all bets are off. Colin is also paid a head writer's salary in addition to whatever he makes as a cast member.  So he's not just skating by.  Cue his wife's mock "Oh no! whatever will we do without his salary?" the last time she was on the show.

I had a very busy couple of days and didn't get to comment on the cast changes. I certainly didn't have Beck being the only major cast member exiting on my bingo card. I'm pretty shocked he's going, and Kyle is staying. I always thought they were a packaged duo as they came in as a team.  Weird. And Beck was one of the few who didn't get a "I'm possibly, maybe saying goodbye, it's been so great here, etc." moment in the final.

Speaking of which, Cecily is staying after that perfect and classic Judge Jeanne swan song? Cue Seth, Really???

Poor Lauren Holt. That's just very unfortunate. You never know. How many times have we written off Melissa?  I just feel bad for Lauren as she was put in a very awkward position (to say the least) of being a doppelganger for another more popular cast mate.

Hiring a master Trump impressionist NOW? Seriously?? Somewhere Alec Baldwin is steaming that guy wasn't around 3-4 years ago.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7

Count me in as someone who is confused about the cast for the new season. There will now be 21 cast members - that's just way too much. The great thing about SNL is its ability to lose key cast members, allowing others to rise up. By keeping everyone, no one will get a chance to shine. The new cast will be shuttered to the background and the long-termers who will continue to trot out their greatest hits over and over.

• Love 5

Just saw this. After at least 10 Emmy wins, including this past year, Don Roy King  has retired from directing the show. The director from Ellen DeGeneres' show takes over.

I wonder how smooth that transition goes. There's probably a learning curve to it.