Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

Hmm!!!   I know everyone except anyone on October 8.  LOL.

Miles Teller was really good in Top Gun Maverick (and hot) and Kendrick Lamar was amazing at the Superbowl half time show.  That should be a good one.

Surprised that Megan Thee Stallion is hosting.....

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Hmm!!!   I know everyone except anyone on October 8.  LOL.

Willow is the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett. I was thinking she'd been on SNL before. Did she make an uncredited appearance with another musical performer this past year?

Brendan Gleeson surprises me as a host, though he's been in comedies. I see that he has a movie coming out, The Banshees of Inisherin.

• Love 3

Yeah, I would never think of Brendan Gleeson as a potential host. His son, sure. But an outside the box choice can be good. (As long as it's not January Jones. lol)

I knew someone from Top Gun would host. I guess Teller is the most obvious choice, but I was still hoping for Jon Hamm.  It was never going to be Cruise himself.  I wonder if Teller is willing to mock his reputation, which is something along the lines of "arrogant jerk" to put it mildly.

3 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Could definitely do without Willow (Smith).

Same here. I just have no interest whatsoever. 

Edited by vb68
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I knew someone from Top Gun would host. I guess Teller is the most obvious choice, but I was still hoping for Jon Hamm.  It was never going to be Cruise himself.  I wonder if teller is willing to mock his reputation, which is something along the lines of "arrogant jerk" to put it mildly.

Jon Hamm also has that Fletch movie coming out!

But I have a big crush on Miles, so I am happy.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Willow is the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett. I was thinking she'd been on SNL before. Did she make an uncredited appearance with another musical performer this past year?

Yes, on the Jake Gyllenhaal episode, with Camila Cabello in April.

3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm loving his son Domhnall in The Patient. Maybe he'll pop in.

Oh yes! He's great, and very disturbing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Is there any word on the writing staff?

Probably not until closer to the premiere. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Jon Hamm also has that Fletch movie coming out!

I think if it was up to SNL, Jon would have hosted many times over by now. He stopped after his third and since then only does cameos. 

As for the hosts, I'm very surprised at the first two. Miles Teller is talented and attractive but he is a bit of a mess and I'm not sure how he will do in the SNL format. I thought they might play safer with a premiere host, especially with so many cast departures. Hopefully if they are taking a risk with the host they can take some chances with the writing too.  I wonder if they will try to rope in Tom Cruise for a cameo.

Brendan Gleeson seems to be a very respected character actor, which is promising, as you rarely get those on SNL. Again, I hope they give him some writing beyond  reacting to funny names, or a fart. 

Megan is someone I could have seen as more of a premiere host (she probably wasn't available).

I rented ‘Confess, Fletch’ yesterday and Hamm is indeed very good in it.

Brendan’s ‘Banshees of Inisherin’ (did I have to look that spelling up?  Absolutely) is tapped as having major awards buzz for Colin Farrell, I’m wondering if they’ll try to have him return to host later in the season.  I also wonder if they’ll have Domhnall appear for a cameo.

Megan has a LOT of personality, fingers crossed that the writers give her more to do than twerk.

Cruise has never hosted?  Interesting.

• Useful 1
On 9/19/2022 at 10:54 PM, vb68 said:

Yeah, I bet they desperately wanted him to stay just for that impression alone. That's one of the very few things from last season that everyone loved.

Some People Have One OR Two Characters That People Like, But, Chris Redd As Good As That Mayor, Musical Videos Rapping, Various Sketches, Game Shows, Week End Update AND Sketches With Kenan Such A The Gang Member That Did NOT Know The Address Or The Phone Number AND Stealing The Car Except He Couldn't Drive A Stick Shift And Sports Analysts Like Basketball Players ! ! ! ! ! ! !

On 9/3/2022 at 2:57 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I hope that's it, but when that's the case, don't we usually know it by the end of the season? 

NO, See, IT Looks Like Chris Redd Wanted To Leave So Chris And Alex OR We Think Maybe Alex Wanted To Leave, But, We Did Not Know At The End OF The Season ! ! 

• Like 1

Hamm is Fallon's lead guest on Friday, so let's hope he sticks around NY for another week and makes a cameo on the Teller episode. 

The Brendan Gleeson pick does seem like the kind of thing they would've done more of in the '90s, going with the older character actor. But you never know, sometimes that turns out to be a surprise. I also heard they might've had difficulty booking this episode and he was kind of a last-minute choice. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2022 at 5:21 AM, Pete Martell said:

I wonder if they will try to rope in Tom Cruise for a cameo.

I'd prefer a Jennifer Connelly cameo, personally.

Tom has never hosted or even cameo-ed in a 41-year career, ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ has already been out for months and has already earned a bazillionty dollars, I genuinely don’t think he’d do it but would love to be proven wrong.

(My pet theory is that he’s worried about the cue cards given his childhood struggles with the dyslexia that $cientology allegedly “cured.”)

Edited by Lethallyfab
Additional Info
  • Useful 3
On 9/21/2022 at 5:21 AM, Pete Martell said:

As for the hosts, I'm very surprised at the first two. Miles Teller is talented and attractive but he is a bit of a mess and I'm not sure how he will do in the SNL format. I thought they might play safer with a premiere host, especially with so many cast departures.

I was thinking the exact same thing. with so many departures, I would had thought a surer hand as host would be the way to go for the premiere. I remember the last trime there was a ton of newbies (with Beck and Kyle among them), Tina hosted and basically introduced them with a big dance number in her monologue.

On 9/27/2022 at 6:32 PM, Avabelle said:

Apparently Chris Redd is with Keenan’s ex wife.

Damn. And Chris was somebody that Kenan had really brought along, too. I don't know if protege is the right word, but it was very close to that. Chris even had a role on Kenan's sitcom. Wow. They can say this had nothing to do with Chris leaving, but I don't completely buy that at all.   

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Curious why there wasn't a show last night.

We just had three in a row - and next week will be the Halloween show. I think they do better if they break after three shows, four seems to really lead to weak effort for the last one.

Taylor Swift is on Fallon, musical guest Meghan Trainor.  I don't know why I assumed I was reading about the upcoming SNL episode instead.  Since Taylor is promoting her album maybe she'll come back?  But it does feel like she was just on.

Melissa Villaseñor Exited ‘SNL’ Due to Panic Attacks and Mental Health Struggle: ‘I Was on the Edge of a Cliff Every Week’:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/melissa-villasenor-exited-snl-panic-attacks-mental-health-1235415094/#recipient_hashed=ae61196ba6f66cd6ec207a72571f2857e83e34a5cad28b33bb296e929aa1ce60&recipient_salt=471b2891b0d600a6bd5295611376ec109e21ba3bf4fcc30a361e2c06811235cb

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 2

Not a fan of Amy Schumer, particularly right before an election, although she at least has a consistent comic voice and will be more sure of herself than most of the hosts this season have been. Given how shaky the writing is that will probably help the show out. 

With that said, she is far from  a host I would pick for a show that claims it is going into a new era. She's very tied to the late '10s and she's so polarizing many are likely to actively avoid her (the last episode she hosted had a promo with a staggering amount of dislikes on Youtube). 

I'm not sure entirely what is going into the host choices this season. I don't want to blame the new booker. I am just assuming it's becoming more and more difficult to find people. That we are now getting choices week by week rather than what they had been doing (announcing three in advance) is telling. 

Poor Chris.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2
On 9/20/2022 at 9:25 PM, peeayebee said:

What?!

Googling.... Oooo! Looks good!

By the way I saw "Confess Fletch" (starring Jon Hamm) and I loved it.  I would totally recommend.

10 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Poor Chris.

Oh my god.

I feel bad for Chris, and also for Melissa. I wonder if it was wise for her to go public with her reason for quitting, i.e, not being able to handle the stress. What kind of creative environment isn't going to be stressful? If I were a showrunner or film or stage producer, I'd have to take her issue under consideration before hiring her. Hope my fears are groundless.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I feel bad for Chris, and also for Melissa. I wonder if it was wise for her to go public with her reason for quitting, i.e, not being able to handle the stress. What kind of creative environment isn't going to be stressful? If I were a showrunner or film or stage producer, I'd have to take her issue under consideration before hiring her. Hope my fears are groundless.

I think SNL is bigger scale stress in comparison to a comedy gig or tv show. Plus she was there until the end and bowed out during hiatus. It’s not like it was a nervous breakdown on stage. I would hope and think that she’ll be fine. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I think SNL is bigger scale stress in comparison to a comedy gig or tv show. Plus she was there until the end and bowed out during hiatus. It’s not like it was a nervous breakdown on stage. I would hope and think that she’ll be fine. 

Her stress didn't affect her work as far as the audience can see.  I would not blame her for feeling internal stress either!  It's the environment.  It's social psychology.... the environment affects a person's reactions and behaviour more than their internal personality, I think.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

She's far from the only cast member to struggle at SNL, of course, and I'm hoping she is now in a much happier place. I do think she made a mistake staying as long as she did and I think NBC and Lorne should have let her go a few years ago  for her own sake. 

To be honest, her behavior in season 46 is what worried me most - she was very online, complaining about crowd reactions, complaining about her job, and at one point saying she was going to quit, then taking that back (I think she may have said she was drunk posting, I can't remember). That is where, if I were an employer, I'd be a bit nervous. With that said, she seemed to be well-liked and respected at the show, so maybe I can chalk that up to the pandemic.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 10/28/2022 at 1:50 PM, Avabelle said:

I think SNL is bigger scale stress in comparison to a comedy gig or tv show.

Absolutely. That's been noted for decades. Former cast members use to call the stage "The Bunker." 

On 10/28/2022 at 1:03 AM, Pete Martell said:

Not a fan of Amy Schumer, particularly right before an election,

On 10/28/2022 at 1:03 AM, Pete Martell said:

With that said, she is far from  a host I would pick for a show that claims it is going into a new era.

Well I do think "Inside Amy Schumer" is back on streaming, so she is legit promoting something. I do think it makes it easier on the writers and cast to some degree to have such an experienced and confident comedian.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/23/2022 at 5:37 PM, peeayebee said:

I guess I never really paid attention before. It makes sense that they'd take a breather betw a certain number of shows. 

I put the schedule of fall shows through December up in the speculation thread.

53 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Absolutely. That's been noted for decades. Former cast members use to call the stage "The Bunker." 

Well I do think "Inside Amy Schumer" is back on streaming, so she is legit promoting something. I do think it makes it easier on the writers and cast to some degree to have such an experienced and confident comedian.  

She definitely has a show to  promote, I just still tend to think of her comedy as being more part of a specific time and place, which is why I don't know if I would have asked her to host while trying to bring the show into a new era.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I just still tend to think of her comedy as being more part of a specific time and place, which is why I don't know if I would have asked her to host while trying to bring the show into a new era.

There's two separate questions here: Whether it's strategically "wise" to have her host, and whether I want to see her host. 😄 The answer to the latter is an emphatic yes! I dig her. I can't say I love her raunchiest stuff, but there's a particular comedic approach in everything she does that's unique to her and that tickles my funnybone.

Tangentially related, that cooking show she did in the truly isolated first months of the pandemic--in her own home with her husband who's a chef--it's streaming on Discovery+. I saw one recently and it was charming. Not a non-stop laff riot (it doesn't intend to be) but again, even in the absence of punchlines, her particular brand of humor is in everything she says. I just liked her, as a human being, even more than I had before.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm sorry I'm not the hugest Amy fan but she's got to be better than Megan the Stallion and Jack Harlow.

I definitely think (and certainly hope) that we have had our allotment of musicians as hosts for awhile.

• Love 5

I concur that ‘Amy Learns to Cook’ was pretty charming.  I also thought her pregnancy docuseries on HBO was humanizing as well.  

The ‘Inside Amy Schumer’ reboot has one big narrative device that fails big for me (cast & crew talking head interviews about a sketch right after said sketch) but it also had the much more incisive sketch about anti-semitism to air this week versus SNL’s

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

SNL specials in NBC's holiday programming:

A SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE THANKSGIVING SPECIAL
Wednesday, Nov. 23, 9-11 p.m.

What: The iconic late-night program will highlight memorable Thanksgiving-themed sketches from its 48 seasons.

A SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
Wednesday, Dec. 14, 8-10 p.m. (encore on Thursday, Dec. 22 at 9 p.m.)

What: The iconic late-night program will highlight memorable Christmas-themed sketches from its 48 seasons.

• Useful 1

Are we actually going to get new specials?  Or just the same one they've been showing the last few years.  They should really do several Christmas specials, one for each decade.  That way we will see more than the same sketches from the last 10 years.

• Love 3
On 9/20/2022 at 5:30 PM, vb68 said:

Yeah, I would never think of Brendan Gleeson as a potential host. His son, sure. But an outside the box choice can be good. (As long as it's not January Jones. lol)

I knew someone from Top Gun would host. I guess Teller is the most obvious choice, but I was still hoping for Jon Hamm.  It was never going to be Cruise himself.  I wonder if Teller is willing to mock his reputation, which is something along the lines of "arrogant jerk" to put it mildly.

Same here. I just have no interest whatsoever. 

I Wish The Musical Guests Would Stop Having This Wild Lighting And Very Fast, Loud Music ! ! ! This Kind OF Music Gives People  Almost A Seizure ! ! ! They Used To Have A Some What Fast Song With A Good Beat And Then Do Some Thing Slow Like A Ballad ! ! I Wish Every Body Would Go Back To Doing The Music This Way ! !