Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

I don’t know if they could do an episode without pre-tapes at this point. They need that time to change sets and costumes. They would need a lot more commercials. Or a lot of simple sets. If they do try it, I bet they settle by the following Monday. 

I really hope they let Quinta write sketches as well.

10 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

I don’t know if they could do an episode without pre-tapes at this point. They need that time to change sets and costumes. They would need a lot more commercials. Or a lot of simple sets. If they do try it, I bet they settle by the following Monday. 

Another thing they could do is split the cast; or each sketch only has a few castmembers. I think it's doable; but it would be a big change from how they're doing the show now.

• Like 1

The new Amazon Prime show, Daisy Jones and the Six, basically a Fleetwood Mac pastiche, includes a segment where the band performs on SNL (the real Fleetwod Mac never did as a group). A song "Aurora (Live from SNL)" was put out on Youtube, and here is the intro the show did. 

Curtis Sittenfield talks about her SNL viewing experiences as well as her new book, which is a spin on SNL's much talked about backstage romances. 

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/curtis-sittenfeld-romantic-comedy-saturday-night-live-interview-1235572698/

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
On 4/7/2023 at 2:17 AM, Pete Martell said:

The new Amazon Prime show, Daisy Jones and the Six, basically a Fleetwood Mac pastiche, includes a segment where the band performs on SNL (the real Fleetwod Mac never did as a group). A song "Aurora (Live from SNL)" was put out on Youtube, and here is the intro the show did. 

Curtis Sittenfield talks about her SNL viewing experiences as well as her new book, which is a spin on SNL's much talked about backstage romances. 

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/curtis-sittenfeld-romantic-comedy-saturday-night-live-interview-1235572698/

Omg thank you.  I loooooooooved Curtis's book "Eligible".

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Well, that didn't take very long

Pete had his moments, but I wouldn't rank him anywhere near the top of the cast. 

Considering the very strong possibility that the final three episodes of the season will be canceled by a writers' strike, a part of me thinks that Lorne and Pete just agreed to put his name on an episode that will never be anyway.

• Like 3

I swear I don't understand Pete's relationship with the show. Oh sure he'll come back and host all the while he's whining full force again in the press that they dared to do a few jokes on his dating life.  Grow up a little.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Hey, if you bring the circus to town, you can't complain when people comment about all the flyers posted everywhere.

I read the article and I'm not sure he is complaining as much as just talking about his feelings (and possibly indirectly promoting Bupkis which seems to be having fun with his hurt feelings). He makes a point of saying that Lorne has always been supportive and acknowledging that of course SNL's mandate is to make fun of people in the news. 

I was thinking about any jokes about Pete (which I don't even remember) vs the kind of ribbing Colin Jost invites. I think the difference is that Jost not only has more power at the show but also he doesn't identify with the straw Jost that is being mocked, whereas Pete sees himself in the jokes about his life.

I watched a promo for Bupkis and although I don’t think of myself as a Pete fan it actually looks funny. Don't know if it will be available in Canada though. In Canada it will be on Showcase starting May 25.

https://www.showcase.ca/shows/bupkis/

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Update re Showcase in Canada
  • Like 2

Pete Davidson is riding the money train generated by his personal dramas, so I don't take any of his concerns about it being exploitive that seriously. Most people with his issues aren't getting rich selling them. He can choose that path and get off the money train any time he wants to.

• Like 1

That was pretty cold to announce who would have hosted, had the shows not been canceled. This article didn't mention it, but Foo Fighters and Labirinth were supposed to be the musical guests.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, absnow54 said:

That was pretty cold to announce who would have hosted, had the shows not been canceled. This article didn't mention it, but Foo Fighters and Labirinth were supposed to be the musical guests.

Fans often speculate about who would have hosted, and we rarely know, so I appreciated the info. I do wonder if it was done by someone to try to make fans more unhappy about the writers choosing to strike. I am sad the season didn't get a proper end (I enjoyed Culkin's last episode quite a bit and would have enjoyed seeing him host again), but I still support the strike.

I'm also curious about which cast might have left but may not feel they can now, similar to what happened with COVID ending season 45 early. I felt like Mikey, Colin, and Michael were all heading toward an exit...now I'm not sure.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

This strike is already 11, almost 12 days in. And it looks like this one may go a while, what with concerns about a living wage and the threat of AI.

So, while it sucks we will miss out on the hosts and bands that will not air, I personally support the writers.

I just hope this won't go on too long but, again, with the issues at stake, it seems like a lengthy strike is a big possibility.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

This strike is already 11, almost 12 days in. And it looks like this one may go a while, what with concerns about a living wage and the threat of AI.

So, while it sucks we will miss out on the hosts and bands that will not air, I personally support the writers.

I just hope this won't go on too long but, again, with the issues at stake, it seems like a lengthy strike is a big possibility.

I Also Hope The Writers Get A Decent Wage And What They Deserve ! How Ever, I DO Want To AT Least Know Which Repeat Will Be On Every Saturday ! As An Example, I Was Glad To See That Molly Shannon And The Jonas Brothers Will Be On Next Saturday Which Will Be May 20 ! ! 

• Like 3

Interview with Ego Nwodim at Deadline: 'Shaking Tables & Stepping Up: How Ego Nwodim Broke Through On ‘SNL’'

excerpt:

DEADLINE: Talk me through Lisa from Temecula; it first launched in February and returned in April.

NWODIM: If I could have not had her appear a second time just yet, I would have waited. I love getting to do Lisa, I love her so much, it’s so cool to see something you enjoy doing so much, deep down in your bones, resonate with people. Using resonate and Lisa in the same sentence is just funny to me. Watching her resonate with people and have people enjoy it as much as you enjoy doing it is that moment… this is the perfect marriage between the content and the audience. Alex English and Gary Richardson and Michael Che wrote that piece for me. They told me they had something fun for me that week.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"SNL, like the daily late-night shows and reality shows including Dancing with the Stars, is covered under SAG-AFTRA’s Network Code, which means that theoretically everyone could come back to work."

How are the actors who make up the cast of SNL not actors?

• Like 4

They are. They’re just under a different contract. So they’re not on strike against SNL. But I’m guessing any other SAG-AFTRA members would not be able to host. And if they did, they certainly can’t promote their struck projects.  

• Like 3

Right. I am actually wondering if SAG members *can* host, as long as they don't promote any past or upcoming projects. Matt Walsh (until he got kicked off the show this week) was allowed to appear on Dancing with the Stars, because the SAG contract for that show falls under the same Network Code that SNL falls under. 

Someone like Olivia Rodrigo, for example...she's a SAG member because she's been an actress in the past, but if she's hosting/MGing to promote her album, is she breaking any rules? 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Also from that press release:

Bad Bunny will do double duty on Oct. 21 for his "SNL" hosting debut and second musical guest appearance. ...

Chloe Troast joins the cast as a featured player. The entire cast from last season returns.

• Like 3

By season 56 everyone in the cast will be named Chloe.

I'm glad to have a new cast member, even if some of the people I was hoping would leave haven't left. Anything to help shake up dynamics works for me. 

Pete isn't who I would have chosen for a premiere, as he seems to be struggling again lately, but I know their options are limited and Lorne is fond of him. Hopefully it will be a cast-heavy episode and they won't go too much into his personal life this time. 

Bad Bunny was fun in the few sketch appearances he had when he was a musical guest in season 46. I think he'll be OK.

I wonder if they're not doing a Halloween episode this year or they just don't have the third show locked down yet.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 2

While I agree Pete wasn't the best person to go with for the premiere, I'm okay with it.  The main reason for me is simple.  I believe the days or a week before the strike, the work stoppage was more probable than not.  Therefore I sorta wished they would've moved his show up closer to Ana's show.  Obviously it was easier said than done but 04/29 was pretty reasonable I think.

So I have no problem with it since he was due, but I don't think SNL was obligated to give him the nod.  They probably could've worked him in later (and maybe they still will).

Anyway, glad there's an actual date & the show is coming back.  What was crazy (for me) is that a couple hours before the news broke, I was actually looking into news on Season 49, mainly thinking about addressing Miss Swift (and the big nature of everything related to her) onto the show.  However, there was absolutely nothing.  Then I return and out of nowhere the show is back.  I didn't even think that it was real close (one week from Saturday), but here we are.

Whether SNL is Taylor free or not (expecting the latter), it's great that everyone is back.  As it the custom, whenever there's something that puts the show on hold, everybody usually returns.  No one wants the previous live show to be their last

• Like 3

The 10/28 episode has been announced. Standup Nate Bargatze is making his hosting debut, while longtime SNL staple Foo Fighters (who were intended to be on late last season) are returning as musical guests. 

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/snl-nate-bargatze-foo-fighters-host-musical-guest-1235759599/

Nate is apparently a very popular standup today, but I assume he was booked mostly due to the ongoing strike. I'm always glad to see offbeat or lesser-known choices hosting, so hopefully he'll be fine (if the writing is there). And I'm glad there will be a Halloween episode.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

I just googled him. "The nicest man in stand-up." I'll check out one of his shows today.

ETA: I just watched some of his act. I enjoy his comedy. I'm looking forward to his hosting stint.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/17/2023 at 8:49 PM, Pete Martell said:

Nate is apparently a very popular standup today, but I assume he was booked mostly due to the ongoing strike. I'm always glad to see offbeat or lesser-known choices hosting, so hopefully he'll be fine (if the writing is there).

He's very good.  I think he has two specials on Netflix.  There's at least one more, but I can't remember which streamer has it.  Maybe Prime.  I was so excited to see the announcement and he posted a video about how excited he is.  He's had to move some tour dates around, so I think he found out not long before we did.  I think he could gain a lot more fans from this.  Really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

This has an overview of the ratings for the last three episodes. The newest episode had the highest numbers since Steve Martin/Martin Short last season.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/saturday-night-live-season-48-ratings-halloween-nate-bargatze-1235589547/

Since it wasn't mentioned in this thread yet - the next show will be on 11/11, with Timothee Chalamet and musical guest Boygenius.

https://pitchfork.com/news/boygenius-to-be-musical-guests-on-new-timothee-chalamet-hosted-snl-episode/

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
(edited)

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/dakota-johnson-snl-justin-timberlake-guest-1235879015/

The January 27th episode will be hosted by Dakota Johnson, with musical guest Justin Timberlake. 

Johnson hosted in early 2015, the first episode after the 40th anniversary. That was not a very well-received episode, although I'm not sure how much of that was down to her. Here's a quick list of that episode:

http://www.snlarchives.net/Episodes/?20150228

Dakota does have a place in pop culture (her promos for that new Madame Web movie have gone viral) but I wasn't too sure she'd be hosting again. I wonder if they may have wanted Sydney Sweeney, who is also in that movie and has had some other recent successful projects. Still, if the show uses Dakota's deadpan the right way, especially in pre-tapes, it could work.

This is Timberlake's first appearance since the 40th anniversary. I'm surprised he has come back, but then his career isn't what it once was. I think he made the right choice to not host again, if it was his choice. Andy Samberg seems to not have any real interest in returning to SNL (although he did return for one short when Natalie Portman hosted again, so you never know), but I could see Jimmy Fallon coming back and doing a sketch or two with Timberlake for nostalgia's sake.

That we got this announcement so late and also didn't get one for the third episode makes me wonder if they're scrambling to get bookings right now. 

In other news, an interview with SNL's guitarist, Maddie Rice.

https://www.vulture.com/article/snl-guitarist-maddie-rice-interview.html

Casting announcements have started for the SNL 1975 biopic being directed by Jason Reitman.

https://deadline.com/2024/01/the-fablemans-gabriel-labelle-lorne-michaels-snl-1975-cooper-hoffman-rachel-sennott-1235797505/

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Useful 2