Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

So I guess it's going to be a tradition that Chappelle hosts the show after big elections. Got it.

I just have a feeling this one won't come off like the other times he's hosted. We'll see.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, vb68 said:

So I guess it's going to be a tradition that Chappelle hosts the show after big elections. Got it.

I just have a feeling this one won't come off like the other times he's hosted. We'll see.

I Did Not Care For Dave Chappelle Last Time ! He Kept Smoking And He Went On And On And On ! He Is Like The Taylor Swift OF Comedy ! OF Course, I Am Referring To When Taylor Swift Sang For TEN MINUTES ! 

• Love 1

Talib Kweli, one half of Black Star, was permanently banned from Twitter also.  His Wikipedia page only skims the surface.  It is my understanding that Talib mounted a harassment campaign against Maya Moody.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talib_Kweli#Controversies

I Googled a longer article about this if anyone is interested.  I was a fan of his about 20 years ago, but my god he has really lost the plot.   Both Chappelle and Kweli are extremely controversial figures to give this spot to right now.  It is incredibly obvious that SNL cannot find hosts and they are selling out to anyone they can.

https://jezebel.com/talib-kwelis-harassment-campaign-shows-how-unprotected-1844483551?utm_campaign=Jezebel&utm_content=1596561151&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 4
On 11/6/2022 at 10:04 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I Googled a longer article about this if anyone is interested.  I was a fan of his about 20 years ago, but my god he has really lost the plot.   Both Chappelle and Kweli are extremely controversial figures to give this spot to right now.  It is incredibly obvious that SNL cannot find hosts and they are selling out to anyone they can.

https://jezebel.com/talib-kwelis-harassment-campaign-shows-how-unprotected-1844483551?utm_campaign=Jezebel&utm_content=1596561151&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

I do think there have been struggles with finding hosts this season, but I don't think Chappelle is one of them. He remains a very popular, influential comedian. with many fans who do not go near SNL most of the time. This seems like a calculated risk to try to get some of those fans while hoping their loyal fans just bear with it. Many hosting choices this season feel like calculated attempts at different demographics due to anxiety about the various cast departures and inevitable ratings decline.

I don't think this is a big departure for SNL, given some of its past hosts, and I'm sure many would say this is a great pick (even if many will likely still not watch SNL to see Chappelle). It doesn't affect me very much either way, if I watch or don't watch. I mostly feel bad for the nonbinary people at the show who will have to work with someone who may go up on stage and deride them as part of the "alphabet people." (I think Celeste Yim has already said something without directly saying it in one of their Instagram stories). For their sake, I hope he does what he did last time, and barely show up outside of the monologue. And if they leave the show after this, I can't say I'd blame them.

Yim's story:

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2022 at 5:28 PM, Mediocre Gatsby said:

The title says that, but then in the article they say the room was full of writers pitching ideas.  I don’t think there is a boycott.

The comments on that article are harsh.

• Love 1

The only host I tweeted at SNL when they asked for suggestions in the summer.....

The only other suggestion other people made that I agreed with was Quinta Brunson, so here's hoping she's next?

Fhaz797WYAIWIif.jpeg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I remember Steve and Martin were thinking of appearing in Selena Gomez's episode - they did of course, but with very curtailed appearances due to COVID being bad in the building that week. I wonder if this is to make up for that. 

I know some people were disappointed Austin didn't host the premiere. This might be another week with a Tom Hanks cameo.

Good picks, overall.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 11/30/2022 at 7:15 PM, possibilities said:

I have no idea who Austin Butler is.

I'm not familiar with him myself, but he's an actor (who also sings) who has been in a bunch of relatively minor TV roles. His most recent and highest profile job was playing the title role in the Elvis film that came out this year.

Edited by Trini
oy, grammar
  • Useful 3
On 11/30/2022 at 6:15 PM, possibilities said:

I have no idea who Austin Butler is.

You are in for a treat. I had no idea who he was either until the Elvis movie and now I am smitten. I think he will do an incredible job, and if not, you can just turn the sound down and look at that beautiful boy. It's okay with me if they don't even do a show, he can just stand on the stage for 90 minutes and I'll be happy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

The first midseason departure since Seth Meyers. I can only guess she wanted to leave last season but Lorne asked her to stay on so they wouldn't have headlines about Kate, Aidy, and Cecily all leaving. 

I felt like it was probably her time a few years ago, but she's still one of the best cast members the show has ever had, and there will be a void to fill, especially in the voiceover department. 

• Like 10

It's sad that Cecily is leaving but definitely not surprising at all.  However, I wasn't expecting it tonight since she wasn't around to start the season.  I assumed that she'd make her exit this spring or shortly after the holidays (similar to Seth and well before that, folks like Murphy, Shearer, Carvey, Myers, and Shannon).

Can't blame Lorne or whomever if he wanted her to stick around, but it would've been fitting if she did exit with Kate and Aidy.  I would've been okay with it.

Nevertheless, Strong had a great run & was doing well outside of SNL so I imagine there's a lot of great things for her going forward

• Like 2
On 12/17/2022 at 10:16 PM, Carey said:

It's sad that Cecily is leaving but definitely not surprising at all.

I agree on both points. I have loved Cecily in every season with the exception of this one. From the time she showed up a few episodes in, I felt she barely showed up. She was there, but only half there. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:
The Aubrey announcement is pretty exciting, and honestly I didn't expect that.  I'd love to see a well done "White Lotus" parody.

Jennifer Coolidge responded to SNL's parody of her, so I wonder if she might pop in for a cameo.

Aubrey auditioned for SNL back in 2008, which probably helped lead her to be cast on Parks and Recreation. As she had never hosted the show I wasn't sure if she ever would, but I'm glad she is finally doing so.

First shows back from long breaks can be rough, or sleepy, but she has such a unique energy, if harnessed, it could be a good episode. I imagine Heidi, Sarah and Chloe will have a lot to do.

Michael is a little more of a, "That's nice..." for me, but if it gives Ego or Punkie more to do I'm glad. And knowing SNL, it will probably end up being the better of the two.

Oddly enough, the schedule for this season which was accidentally put out earlier this season (I think from a backstage photo) had the 28th as the first day back. Either they've been given an extra episode or, more likely, they've just shuffled dates around. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

First shows back from long breaks can be rough, or sleepy, but she has such a unique energy, if harnessed, it could be a good episode. I imagine Heidi, Sarah and Chloe will have a lot to do.

Exactly, if the writers are smart, and they use her correctly, it could be pretty good.  She'd probably do well with PDD.

I wouldn't assume all the white women would be super-used.  Aubrey is half Puerto Rican and extremely proud of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a more diverse cast.  I'm sure she insisted her character be so on "White Lotus" too, because it was.  Ego and she have already sent her other cute comments on IG.

Now that I think about it, there's an opportunity for Bowen to play Ethan.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
58 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Exactly, if the writers are smart, and they use her correctly, it could be pretty good.  She'd probably do well with PDD.

I wouldn't assume all the white women would be super-used.  Aubrey is half Puerto Rican and extremely proud of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a more diverse cast.  I'm sure she insisted her character be so on "White Lotus" too, because it was.  Ego and she have already sent her other cute comments on IG.

Now that I think about it, there's an opportunity for Bowen to play Ethan.

I'm hoping for some Ego too, and I can also see Bowen having fun with her. I was thinking of Sarah and Heidi more for their comic vibe and Chloe because of Coolidge. 

I could also see Aubrey doing something with Andrew or Michael Longfellow.

• Like 1

Pedro Pascal is going from zombies to Studio 8H with his hosting debut set on Saturday Night Live.

The actor, fresh from the success of HBO’s The Last of Us and ahead of the third season of Disney+’s The Mandalorian, will host the NBC show on February 4.

He will be joined by Coldplay as the musical guest. Chris Martin’s British indie pop band is making its seventh appearance on the show after announcing a run of West Coast dates in September for the Music of the Spheres world tour.

It marks a consecutive three-episode run of shows for SNL, which had Aubrey Plaza hosting last week and Michael B. Jordan set to host January 28.

Story here.

• Useful 2

I definitely think Pedro is a really good get. He's on two of the biggest streaming shows right now. I know people thought they were having problems booking guests earlier in the season, but now that looks like it has turned around, and they are getting some big, high profile names. 

• Like 2

I don't follow sports very closely but Kelce hosting not long after winning the Super Bowl is a big deal for the show. (Heidi must also be happy as she's a huge fan). Jenna Ortega is also big at the moment due to Wednesday. 

I had no idea who Kelsea Ballerini was, and anything I know about 1975 is the lead singer getting in hot water...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

but Kelce hosting not long after winning the Super Bowl is a big deal for the show.

I suppose but my first thought was I guess Mahomes said no thank you. I mean he gets asked first, right? 

I had no idea who Kelsea Ballerini was

I know she was briefly a coach on The Voice, filling in for Kelly Clarkson. 

Edited by vb68
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, vb68 said:

I suppose but my first thought was I guess Mahomes said no thank you. I mean he gets asked first, right? 

I know she was briefly a coach on The Voice, filling in for Kelly Clarkson. 

I Was Like You ! I Thought They Would Get the Quarterback From Kansas City ! How Ever, He Does Have His Injured Leg So He Might Not Want To Have To Move Around In The Sketches And Every Thing ! Kelsea Ballerini Is A Country Pop Singer Also Known As Contemporary Singer And A Song Writer ! ! ! 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Jody said:

Pete, Will Saturday Night Live Be On TV April 1 ? Will That Be A New Episode ? 

Right now there's no real way of knowing. They could work things out with the union, they could try a show without pre-tapes or promos (one that would probably have a harder time getting a host), they could cancel the episode, or the rest of the season.

Looks like there is supposed to be a new episode that night. (First after the next break) My guess is they picked that date so they can get their work done before the episode, and picket 30 Rock when people line up. Assuming they don’t make a deal before then.

• Useful 1
On 3/9/2023 at 5:26 PM, Pete Martell said:

they could try a show without pre-tapes or promos (one that would probably have a harder time getting a host)

I would seriously doubt that most of the cast would be cool with crossing a picket line.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

I would seriously doubt that most of the cast would be cool with crossing a picket line.  

Agree, but I'm not sure how much choice they have in the matter (the season 13 cast worked through a tech strike for several weeks).