Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, while Keenan gets an exception as the stable foundation of the show, I think most of the longtimers should be moving on. Especially the ones who have their own series in addition to SNL.

Kenan HAS His Own Show AND Chris Redd IS His Brother In The TV Show ! ! They Also Have The Man From Miami Vice ! I Can't Remember His Name ,But I WILL Recognize His Name IF I See His Name ! 

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I personally don't think Kenan anchors the show or deserves any kind of special status. He's fine, but he's not essential.

I sort of agree, but on the other hand I enjoyed this joke so much I superstitiously feel like he can't simply leave. 

Spoiler

Tina Fey, dressed as Princess Leia during a guest appearance, told host Felicity Jones, “If all else fails, you should know that back in Season 35, I put a fatal flaw in the system: If you take out Kenan Thompson, the studio will explode.” 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 9/28/2021 at 10:49 PM, vb68 said:

Absolutely. There's no way Kenan or Kate are making scale. Once your initial contract is over, I think all bets are off. Colin is also paid a head writer's salary in addition to whatever he makes as a cast member.  So he's not just skating by.  Cue his wife's mock "Oh no! whatever will we do without his salary?" the last time she was on the show.

I had a very busy couple of days and didn't get to comment on the cast changes. I certainly didn't have Beck being the only major cast member exiting on my bingo card. I'm pretty shocked he's going, and Kyle is staying. I always thought they were a packaged duo as they came in as a team.  Weird. And Beck was one of the few who didn't get a "I'm possibly, maybe saying goodbye, it's been so great here, etc." moment in the final.

Speaking of which, Cecily is staying after that perfect and classic Judge Jeanne swan song? Cue Seth, Really???

Poor Lauren Holt. That's just very unfortunate. You never know. How many times have we written off Melissa?  I just feel bad for Lauren as she was put in a very awkward position (to say the least) of being a doppelganger for another more popular cast mate.

Hiring a master Trump impressionist NOW? Seriously?? Somewhere Alec Baldwin is steaming that guy wasn't around 3-4 years ago.

Alec could have left at any time - I think he always loved the attention. Anyway, I  have to think this guy is being hired for other political impressions as I don't know if they will go back to Trump yet, but I wonder where it leaves Alex Moffat as Biden, or if they will just keep ignoring Biden. You'd think Alex will get more airtime with Beck gone.

Beck had several big roles in the finale, including the last sketch of the season, which focused mostly just on him. I thought that might have been a hint. I am mostly surprised he is leaving without Kyle. I wonder if Lorne asked Kyle to stay one more year while they transition into new people for their pre-tapes.

I'm going to miss Beck a lot, especially his work in pre-tapes, but I'm glad he left on a high. 

Beck talks more about his exit here:

https://time.com/6103137/beck-bennett-snl-goodbye/

I do feel bad for Lauren, because they never gave her a chance. The most she got was an appearance on Update. She was meant to start near the end of season 45, likely when they thought Aidy was leaving. Once they knew Aidy wasn't, they lost all interest. Lauren left a very classy Instagram goodbye post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUV5h1hPeH1/

On 9/29/2021 at 9:37 AM, xander874 said:

Count me in as someone who is confused about the cast for the new season. There will now be 21 cast members - that's just way too much. The great thing about SNL is its ability to lose key cast members, allowing others to rise up. By keeping everyone, no one will get a chance to shine. The new cast will be shuttered to the background and the long-termers who will continue to trot out their greatest hits over and over.

I think most of the new cast members in the last few years have managed to find a niche, but I do agree keeping so many people makes the show more unbalanced. A number of them will be missing episodes (Kate, for instance, may not be in the premiere), which just makes fans focus on who isn't there and how the show isn't the same until they return, etc. 

SNL has ten new writers this season - three left last season (Sudi Green, Sam Jay, Emma Clark) and one more recently (Dan Licata). Three of the new writers  are from a comedy  troupe called Please Don't Destroy, which has gotten some praise. Two of them are the children of  longtime SNL writer Steve Higgins (who also does voiceovers and works a lot with Jimmy Fallon) and Tim Herlihly (who wrote for SNL in the '90s and often collaborates with Adam Sandler).. Needless to say, this has gotten some nepotism backlash...

https://www.vulture.com/2021/09/snl-adds-ten-new-writers-for-season-47.html

I wonder how much the show is going to tone down Sarah Squirm (Sarah Sherman), if they show her at all. She is so unlike anything they have had on SNL in many years. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 9/28/2021 at 12:06 PM, LADreamr said:

I'll really miss Beck.  I've loved him since his AT&T commercials with the kids, pre-SNL. He never disappointed.  I hope he gets to do great stuff from here, and that he'll be back soon, to host.

I loved those commercials, too!  He was so great in them.  Sad he is leaving.

• Love 5

Apparently Gary Richardson and Fran Gillespie also left the writing team after last season. Best of luck to them. 

Ken Aymong, a producer on the show for many years, has retired. That is the Ken that Colin was referring to in the goodnights.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/ken-aymong-saturday-night-live-retiring-1235079835/

I don't want to clog up the thread with videos but you may remember him for being a giant photo in the 2017 Scarjo and Kenan sketch Funeral Service. Probably one of the funniest uses of those backstage  personnel photos that often pop up in a sketch or on Update.

• Love 1

Pete + Kim?  [Spotted holding hands] 😍🤪🤩

They are probably just friends and the photo is from what appears to be a scary roller-coaster ride, if the expression on the face of the woman in front of them is any indication.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1

Jonathan Majors and Simu Liu round out the hosts for November.

Interesting choices though I don't know how either is with comedy.

Taylor Swift is a musical guest again. I guess it's true she has no desire to host again.

• Useful 1

At this point, both Kim and Pete know *exactly* what’s going to happen if they hold hands in public and, well, fine, famewh*res gonna famewh*re.  But don’t pee on my leg and tell me that it’s not raining, the air is just really humid.  When have Pete and Kim *ever* been “in the same circles” outside of her hosting gig?

I’m assuming that Taylor is going to perform some of her new old stuff rather than her old new stuff - she’s rereleasing all her old albums so that she controls the rights - and I would pay handsomely to have her go all out with the 10-minute version of ‘All Too Well’ from ‘Red (Taylor’s Version).’  

• Love 2

I'm so excited for Kieran.
Simu Liu is also hosting soon with Saweetie.  I know there can't have been many Asian hosts in the past so that's awesome.  

18 hours ago, vb68 said:

Jonathan Majors and Simu Liu round out the hosts for November.

Interesting choices though I don't know how either is with comedy.

Simu is the star of a sitcom.

Later in 2015, Liu was cast in his first main role as Jung Kim in CBC's popular sitcom Kim's Convenience,[9] the TV adaptation of a popular play of the same name. It remains his most notable television success to date, with the series being nominated for and winning multiple awards internationally, including "Best Comedy Series" at the 2018 Canadian Screen Awards and "Most Popular Foreign Drama" at the 2019 Seoul International Drama Awards.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I’m assuming that Taylor is going to perform some of her new old stuff rather than her old new stuff - she’s rereleasing all her old albums so that she controls the rights - and I would pay handsomely to have her go all out with the 10-minute version of ‘All Too Well’ from ‘Red (Taylor’s Version).’  

Does anyone else kind of miss when Taylor had a sense of humor about herself and would appear in bits on the show? When she was the MG in the Tiffany Haddish episode, they did a "Whiskers R We" sketch and she didn't even make a cameo! And she didn't do anything the last time she was a MG either. I'm hoping we see her appear in a sketch this time. 

Edited by Phishbulb

I don’t know where else to put this but per me complaining about the lack of a live stream of tonight’s episode on Twitter, Peacock TV support replied that they’re no longer carrying live streams and episodes will be next day only.  Seems like a really great way to squander a brand that could actually get people to subscribe.  Next day episodes are also on Hulu (as far as I know!), so why would I need Peacock?  (I didn’t watch The Olympics but from everything I heard, they completely botched that as well.)

• Love 3
On 11/6/2021 at 11:59 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I don’t know where else to put this but per me complaining about the lack of a live stream of tonight’s episode on Twitter, Peacock TV support replied that they’re no longer carrying live streams and episodes will be next day only.  Seems like a really great way to squander a brand that could actually get people to subscribe.  Next day episodes are also on Hulu (as far as I know!), so why would I need Peacock?  (I didn’t watch The Olympics but from everything I heard, they completely botched that as well.)

I’d also like to put in my complaints about peacock.  No reason to have it if you have Hulu.

Tim Kazurinsky struck me as another that hasn't so much been forgotten by the people who watched in his day, although there are now people who've grown up never seeing him on the show. But yeah, Laraine Newman is hardly some obscure footnote.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, ahisma said:

I didn’t know most of their names, but definitely remembered their faces/characters.

I had no memory of the existence of Jeff Richards (my Jeff Richards reference is always Benjamin in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers) and spent that segment vaguely imagining this guy was also Tina Fey's husband. Most of the letters in their names are the same! 

On 11/3/2021 at 8:32 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm so excited for Kieran.
Simu Liu is also hosting soon with Saweetie.  I know there can't have been many Asian hosts in the pastat's awesome.  

Simu is the star of a sitcom.

There Have NOT Been ANY Asian Hosts Until Now ! 

6 hours ago, Jody said:

There Have NOT Been ANY Asian Hosts Until Now ! 

If you're basing it on what was said last night, how he was the first Chinese host of SNL, part of his monologue was talked over where he was the "first" fourth Chinese host of SNL.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

If you're basing it on what was said last night, how he was the first Chinese host of SNL, part of his monologue was talked over where he was the "first" fourth Chinese host of SNL.

I'm Sorry About That ! My Memory Is Not As Good Lately And I Did NOT Remember Any Other Asian Hosts And I Did Go Partly By What They Said ! ! ! Now, I Remember Some OF Those People Hosting Saturday Night Live ! 

He was interviewed in relation to his induction and said he's obligated to run the show through season 50 and said that might be a good time to get out.  It may be old news but it's the first time I'd heard that.  I always thought Tina Fey would be the natural successor.

• Love 2

The show is (hopefully) returning on January 15 with West Side Story co-star and Broadway star Ariana DeBose as host. She might seem like an unusual choice, but she really isn't. This is the time of year when potential Oscar nominees start hosting as a way of campaigning. I just hope the show goes off without a hitch. Expect lots of singing and dancing. Coincidentally she co-starred in Schmigadoon with Cecily.

Also, Don Roy King is officially retired now. 

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, vb68 said:

The show is (hopefully) returning on January 15 with West Side Story co-star and Broadway star Ariana DeBose as host. She might seem like an unusual choice, but she really isn't. This is the time of year when potential Oscar nominees start hosting as a way of campaigning. I just hope the show goes off without a hitch. Expect lots of singing and dancing. Coincidentally she co-starred in Schmigadoon with Cecily.

Also, Don Roy King is officially retired now. 

It's too bad Cecily likely won't be there, as she has her Broadway show going on, but the cast has many other musical talents. I am glad to see more fresh talent on SNL, and I hope  the show gives her something fun to play. I also hope Rita Moreno can (safely from her own place) film a little something.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Willem Dafoe to host Jan. 29 with Katy Perry.

I thought they were having trouble getting hosts with Omicron, but those are really two good gets in my view.

I haven't heard much about Perry in recent years (apparently she's doing a Vegas residency), but she does have a long history with the show. Dafoe is someone I never thought would host - I had assumed if he wanted to he might have years ago. 

Forte and Dafoe are top-tier choices. I really hope the writing will come close to matching their talents. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I haven't heard much about Perry in recent years (apparently she's doing a Vegas residency), but she does have a long history with the show.

She's still judging American Idol the last I heard. I believe she also has a new single out.

I should clarify that for me a good get for musical guest is basically an artist(s) that I know or have heard of to be honest. :) 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2