Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

There was a rumor going around about this on Monday and I guess it was right. Nick Jonas double duty. The most interesting part of this for me will be to see who intros his numbers. In several cases people who were about to leave the show have had that role. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

Not surprised at all. I always expected him to pull double duty as he's always been good when they used him before, like in the show with Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

I think he's also the most charismatic of the brothers by not a little bit.

• Love 2

Now that the teaser trailer for Army Of the Dead, director Zack Snyder's upcoming Netflix horror movie premiering May 21st, I wouldn't be surprised if its star Dave Bautista hosted an episode.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Daniel and Carey aren't big household names, but are getting a great deal of attention and praise at the moment - surprised to see them hosting SNL. I've enjoyed the new hosts more this season, overall, so hopefully that will continue and they will get some good chances.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Daniel and Carey aren't big household names, but are getting a great deal of attention and praise at the moment - surprised to see them hosting SNL.

Daniel Kaluuya might not be "household name" but he starred in Get Out which was huge.  And is Oscar nominated.  He doesn't surprise me.

Carey is also Oscar nominated but definitely not in as many well known movies.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Daniel Kaluuya might not be "household name" but he starred in Get Out which was huge.  And is Oscar nominated.  He doesn't surprise me.

That's true, but I felt like Jordan Peele was the main one who got noticed from Get Out.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2021 at 2:20 PM, Pete Martell said:

Daniel and Carey aren't big household names, but are getting a great deal of attention and praise at the moment - surprised to see them hosting SNL

I'm not surprised at all. They are both very heavy into their respective Oscar campaigns at the moment. SNL is sometimes a big stop the nominees like to hit. Think SaoIrse Ronan and Casey Affleck hosting. I remember some bragging a few years ago when they had all four acting winners host. According to many prognosticators, they are the leading candidates in their categories. I can see them being booked for that potential cachet alone. 

On 3/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, Irlandesa said:

I remember that sketch just a few weeks ago where Ego learned he was British.  "Were you British when you did  Get Out?" 😄  I suspect he'll be a very good sport, and they will have a lot of fun with him.

Carey Mulligan has also been at the center of a big media storm recently where she clapped back at a critic who said she wasn't "hot" enough to be cast in the role she's nominated for this year. I think it's quite possible that comes up on the show. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Carey Mulligan has also been at the center of a big media storm recently where she clapped back at a critic who said she wasn't "hot" enough to be cast in the role she's nominated for this year

That's ironic, because when I saw her on Dr. Who, I thought she was a little too hot for the role (but like any great actress she made it work in "Blink.")

Apparently she's done some other things too, and done them really well; I don't know if a Dr. Who callback would be happening.

(edited)

At first I was going to put this in the episode thread but I thought it might veer into other sketch histories as well. 

In 2020, this writer says they submitted a Salt Bae sketch as part of their packet to try to get hired for SNL. (they didn't get hired) They show a bit of the version they had filmed. I can see the similarities. 

I remember there was some controversy over the writing submission rules and whether or not the show would have the right to use ideas submitted.

Anyway, this wouldn't be the first time for SNL, but if you want to judge for yourself:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNRUtOOAyLu/

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Daaayyyyyyyum that feels far away.

I know. I guess part of the delay is down to having 20 episodes this season instead of 21. I shouldn't be ungrateful, but with everything these days the show gives me some enjoyment, flaws and all.

• Love 1
On 4/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, Pete Martell said:

I know. I guess part of the delay is down to having 20 episodes this season instead of 21.

I'm extremely disappointed by that, especially after we lost so many shows last season. They could add one more show to get it back to the standard 21 of the past decade. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Melissa Villasenor was on with Seth and did a killer Kristen Wiig that kinda blew Seth away. If you just want to watch that, it is near the end....6 or 7 minutes in

• Love 9
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Safe to say no one saw that one coming.

I'm not really sure what to make of it.  It's truly rather bizarre. 

This is the show that had Trump host during the election cycle.  Nothing will top that.  

• Love 5

Somewhere January Jones is suddenly hopeful that she can finally give up her position as the posterchild for truly terrible, horrible, no good SNL host.  True, there's Trump, but he was use to being on TV, for good or bad. Musk to my knowledge has no tv experience at all. I guess it's also not coincidental that Miley (aka Friend of the Show) will be there. I bet it will seem like she's the host. She'll be in several sketches.

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I can't say the same, but I'll definitely be skipping it. Though who knows, maybe bad SNL ratings will be the final straw that turns Musk into a Bond villain.

The possibility of bad ratings, or of humiliating himself on national television (even though I imagine SNL will be very, very cautious on his behalf - I'm expecting a funny name news report, Close Encounters, rapping with Pete, etc.), are why I won't be surprised if Elon backs out. He has a big ego, but it's still a situation where many will be waiting for him to fail.

I think the booking mostly makes SNL look desperate. The ratings have slipped since the election, but that was to be expected, and they aren't at a shocking level.  Having someone who is so polarizing and the anathema of what much of the show's base audience likely wants to see just seems like flailing around, trying to find anything to land on post-Trump (similar to having Jim Carrey play Biden), and makes the show seem worse than it actually is. 

It also feels like yet another attempt by Lorne and/or NBC like Shane Gillis' hiring to try to get back the male demo who just aren't that into SNL anymore, and probably won't be again.

I feel bad for the cast and writers who have to put up with this - a few of the cast (Aidy, Bowen) have already subtweeted about the news, and a number of writers have seemed to agree based on their social media likes. So now I'm left to wonder if some will just skip that episode, or try to leave at the end of the season.

I did want some cast turnover, but not in these unpleasant circumstances. I guess, as always with SNL, you may get what you want, but never in the way you wanted it...

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Maybe next season they can get Jeff Bezos or Mark Zuckerberg too. 

Oh.... and ETA, you shouldn't be allowed to host if you give your child a string of unpronounceable symbols and call it a name. That should be the benchmark of douchbagginess that shouldn't be crossed. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 6

Was there no one else to choose from?? I think that Catherine Reitman would have done a fantastic job as host if asked.

Put me in the list of skipping this episode as well. Usually I pvr and watch it the next day but won't even do that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Elon Musk has played himself in Iron Man 3, The Simpsons, and in a slightly modified form on Rick and Morty--so between that and his sense of humor, he's got a chance, and I'm looking forward to it.  As to Miley Cyrus:

She'll be in several sketches.

I can see her being in at least one or two, but they've got a strong female cast this year, so that could go either way.  My predictions is that they'll push it a little after the monologue once, and once more after Update, but there will be some safe sketches as well.

Specifically, there will be one about billionaires who don't want to run for President, and and one with Miley where someone else plays Miley. 

week wife GIF

I'll be skipping as well.

Besides just being a garbage person, Elon Musk is not known for being particularly charismatic, and has also shown to be incapable of taking a joke at his own expense. The episode will definitely have to be written around these limitations, making it terrible in second, different way.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Was there no one else to choose from?? I think that Catherine Reitman would have done a fantastic job as host if asked.

It does seem odd they don't have a list of people to call on in case they're grasping at straws.  Call in a favor and snag Tina Fey or Seth Meyers and promise them a light week.  They have enough trouble using the cast as is, so having a minimally involved host might be a good thing.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, greekmom said:

One woman who should host: Carol Burnett. According to an interview with Larry King, Burnett hasn't hosted because she's never been asked, apparently because back in the day some of the male cast members didn't like how the cast members of the Carol Burnett Show broke character, as if Chris Farley and Jimmy Fallon didn't do the same.

Imagine all the female SNL alums who could return if Burnett hosted: Tina, Amy, Maya, Leslie and Kristen, to literally name a few. Hell, they could even get Laraine Newman, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Julia Sweeney, Cheri Oteri, Ana Gasteyer, Molly Shannon and Rachel Dratch, for good measure, if they wanted. A sketch with Burnett as Debbie Downer's mother or grandmother practically writes itself. If an online petition got Betty White to host SNL, then another could do the same for Carol Burnett. Elon Musk hosting SNL before Carol Burnett is just too much wrong on too many levels, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They're not grasping at straws .  This is a deliberate move and they absolutely want to do this.  I agree that this is a ploy for ratings.

Completely. This is all about buzz.  I just wonder which side approached the other first.

I'm also not ruling out that he just walks mid-week once he sees first hand what he's really in for and reality (and maybe panic, if he's capable of it) sets in. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

One woman who should host: Carol Burnett. According to an interview with Larry King, Burnett hasn't hosted because she's never been asked,

I remember Carl Reiner always wanted to do it but was never asked. I remember him floating the idea back in the 90s when Dennis Miller had a talkshow.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Chris broke character?  I definitely remember Jimmy doing it.  I don't remember Chris doing it but obviously it's been a long time.  

Farley did it during hit famous "Motivational Speaker" sketch.

Six more much better choices for host than Elon Musk would be Steven Yeun, Riz Ahmed, Viola Davis, Frances MacDormand, Michaela Coel and Andra Day.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, vb68 said:

Somewhere January Jones is suddenly hopeful that she can finally give up her position as the posterchild for truly terrible, horrible, no good SNL host.  True, there's Trump, but he was use to being on TV, for good or bad. Musk to my knowledge has no tv experience at all. I guess it's also not coincidental that Miley (aka Friend of the Show) will be there. I bet it will seem like she's the host. She'll be in several sketches.

January Jones was just blessed with awful material and an inability to carry it. Trump was just an awful choice all around.

12 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Six more much better choices for host than Elon Musk would be Steven Yeun, Riz Ahmed, Viola Davis, Frances MacDormand, Michaela Coel and Andra Day.

Literally anyone else would've been better, even letting Miley do double duty.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Chris broke character?  I definitely remember Jimmy doing it.  I don't remember Chris doing it but obviously it's been a long time.  

Chris didn't break character as much as he would sometimes try to make sketches become complete corpsefests, similar to what Harvey Korman and Tim Conway would do on Carol's show. The main examples I remember are the Martin Lawrence edition of the Matt Foley sketch, and the Pepper Grinder sketch from when Dana Carvey hosted in 1994 (Dana mentioned that he had to stop Sandler from breaking after Chris was giving a very OTT performance as one of the customers).

4 hours ago, DollEyes said:

One woman who should host: Carol Burnett. According to an interview with Larry King, Burnett hasn't hosted because she's never been asked, apparently because back in the day some of the male cast members didn't like how the cast members of the Carol Burnett Show broke character, as if Chris Farley and Jimmy Fallon didn't do the same.

Even at the time of early SNL, you would have bits like Lorne untying Belushi's shoes under the desk to break him up during a sketch. I think Lorne did have a weird disdain for that show (when Norm Macdonald joined in 1993, his first sketch was panned by Lorne as being "too Carol Burnett"), but I wonder if most of it was down to Lorne wanting to seem hip and away from the past. 

I do wonder why Dick Ebersol, who had many comedy legends host, never booked Carol. (the closest she got was when she was in the audience for Harry Anderson's episode, and he saw her and asked her to go up on stage for the goodnights). 

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They're not grasping at straws .  This is a deliberate move and they absolutely want to do this.  I agree that this is a ploy for ratings.

Yeah. They are mostly getting what they want - Lorne and NBC, I mean. Lots of publicity. Whether that will translate to ratings, I don't know. I still think in the long-term it, and even outside of Musk, the reliance on stunt casting is a mistake, but then Lorne has been doing this for a long time (like the infamous Andrew Dice Clay hosting gig), so who am I to say...

Andrew Dismukes has also joined in with a comment:

I imagine a number of the cast and writers are fine with it or just willing to see it as a job and keep quiet (most of his material is probably going to lay heavily on Pete, Kate, and Mikey anyway), but I do wonder how many at the show may leave after this season is over. 

• Love 2