Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Maybe next season they can get Jeff Bezos or Mark Zuckerberg too. 

Oh.... and ETA, you shouldn't be allowed to host if you give your child a string of unpronounceable symbols and call it a name. That should be the benchmark of douchbagginess that shouldn't be crossed. 

They DID Have Mark Zukerberg Cameo One Time ! Andy Plays Him And Jesse Eisenberg Was Hosting And Jesse Played Him In A Movie And TheTthree Of Them Were All Together Claiming To Be Him ! IF He Would Ever Come On, Then Alex Does An Impression OF Him ! Even Andy Did Not Do That Nervous Laugh Like Alex Does !

On 4/25/2021 at 7:55 PM, Pete Martell said:

I imagine a number of the cast and writers are fine with it or just willing to see it as a job and keep quiet (most of his material is probably going to lay heavily on Pete, Kate, and Mikey anyway), but I do wonder how many at the show may leave after this season is over. 

I think most will just keep quiet. I don't see anybody leaving the show who wasn't planning on leaving anyway. 

Edited by vb68
On 4/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have to wait so long for a new episode and this is what they're doing?  I personally find it horrifying.  I hate Elon Musk.  I think he's an evil and dangerous billionaire.  This is so stupid.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/elon-musk-saturday-night-live-host-miley-cyrus-tesla-1234959658/

I thought Elon Musk is just a super smart (kinda kooky) guy who did something great by creating the tesla.  How is he evil and dangerous?

On 4/25/2021 at 6:48 AM, Pete Martell said:

I think the booking mostly makes SNL look desperate. The ratings have slipped since the election, but that was to be expected, and they aren't at a shocking level.  Having someone who is so polarizing and the anathema of what much of the show's base audience likely wants to see just seems like flailing around, trying to find anything to land on post-Trump (similar to having Jim Carrey play Biden), and makes the show seem worse than it actually is. 

I feel bad for the cast and writers who have to put up with this - a few of the cast (Aidy, Bowen) have already subtweeted about the news, and a number of writers have seemed to agree based on their social media likes. So now I'm left to wonder if some will just skip that episode, or try to leave at the end of the season.

I did want some cast turnover, but not in these unpleasant circumstances. I guess, as always with SNL, you may get what you want, but never in the way you wanted it...

I think the ratings are slipping because of the writing.  The cast is talented, but they seem bored, which is not great for comedy.  Although, other than Beck, no one really stands out.  No one is blowing me away.  Also, IMO the political humor is best when it is not so one-sided.  The show used to be funny and creative because they took on both sides, and made fun of them equally.  

You think people would leave because Elon Musk is hosting?  What am I missing about him?

22 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

A sketch falling apart because people keep laughing, like the first Debbie Downer.

Well to be fair that was a REALLY funny sketch.  

12 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I thought Elon Musk is just a super smart (kinda kooky) guy who did something great by creating the tesla.  How is he evil and dangerous?

Elon Musk is a billionaire who is doing absolutely nothing to help people through this pandemic.  To make matters worse, he actively denied the seriousness of COVID through March 2020 and I don't know if he ever retracted.  All of it is still up.  People absolutely worship the ground that he walks on and he has 50 million follwers on Twitter alone so sharing these ideals are very irresponsible.  He has built cars that blow up and have killed their own drivers and his worshippers still kiss the ground that he walks on.  He is constantly having rocket launches and several of them have exploded; I don't know how many, I am always hearing about another one.  

When the Thai soccer team was stuck in the cave, he actively tried to take everyone's attention from it by claiming he built a submarine that would help with the rescue.  The rescuers told him that it would not, in fact, help.  Elon's response was to call one of the RESCUERS a PEDOPHILE.  Elon was using a stereotype that people go to Thailand to sexually assault children which is disgusting.

Elon Musk is a billionaire.  How can you live with yourself in 2020 and 2021 and not help by supplying PPE, funding vaccines, helping hospitals when you have billions is so beyond me I cannot fathom.  Christian Siriano is a designer worth like $10 million and he spent months making free masks and distributing them.  Dolly Parton is *not* a billionaire and she helped fund vaccines.  

He is not kooky, he is actively stupid, evil, and dangerous.

960x0.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14

WOOO KEEGAN MICHAEL KEY!!!!!!

‘SNL’: Anya Taylor-Joy, Keegan-Michael Key To Make Hosting Debuts For Final Episodes Of Season 46

Key will make his Studio 8H debut on May 15, where he will take the stage alongside “Driver’s License” singer Olivia Rodrigo, who serves as musical guest.

The following week, Taylor-Joy commands the stage with “Call Me By Your Name” singer Lil Nas X, who will also make his Saturday Night Live debut.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

The first Mad TV alum to host SNL. (he is also sharing a show with Cecily now - so we will probably get some teamups here). Anya Taylor Joy is the first completely-new-to-SNL finale host since 2007! (Zach Braff) If any cast are leaving, having a low-key host would also allow them to take the spotlight. Hopefully these two episodes will give a worthwhile close to the season. At least it's something to look forward to.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

Anya Taylor Joy is the first completely-new-to-SNL host since 2007!

How do you define a completely new to SNL host? I ask because weren't there plenty of hosts who had not hosted or appeared before on this season alone?

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

How do you define a completely new to SNL host? I ask because weren't there plenty of hosts who had not hosted or appeared before on this season alone?

I agree. Carey Mulligan, Dan Levy, Regina King, John Krasinski, Dan Kaluuya, etc. all would qualify for that distinction. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I agree. Carey Mulligan, Dan Levy, Regina King, John Krasinski, Dan Kaluuya, etc. all would qualify for that distinction. 

So would Timothee Chalamet and the upcoming host (spits)

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Sorry - I meant for the finale. I missed part of the sentence.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/26/2021 at 6:14 PM, heatherchandler said:

I think the ratings are slipping because of the writing.  The cast is talented, but they seem bored, which is not great for comedy.  Although, other than Beck, no one really stands out.  No one is blowing me away.  Also, IMO the political humor is best when it is not so one-sided.  The show used to be funny and creative because they took on both sides, and made fun of them equally.  

You think people would leave because Elon Musk is hosting?  What am I missing about him?

Well to be fair that was a REALLY funny sketch.  

You Said Beck Was The Only Funny Person ! What About Ego Especially When she Is Dianne Warwick !

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Jody said:

You Said Beck Was The Only Funny Person ! What About Ego Especially When she Is Dianne Warwick !

She is funny!  I guess I am just thinking of people who really stand out and crack me up in anything.  Beck cracks me up in everything he does.  

I think the cast is talented but something is amiss with their energy or the writing... I don't know what it is.

(edited)

Che is on Seth Meyers tonight.  He was all relaxed and loose and then as soon as Seth brought up Elon, Michael's voice went up like 5 octaves, he got a little defensive, and his legs started shaking.  They each said one sentence and then never spoke of it again. I thought it was pretty interesting.

9 hours ago, saoirse said:

See, now this is good.  I love Lil Nas X too.  How odd that they never had Nas on when he had his hit "Ol Town Road" which was ENORMOUS.  They've had way lesser known artists with way lesser known hits (Ashlee Simpson, MIMS.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

See, now this is good.  I love Lil Nas X too.  How odd that they never had Nas on when he had his hit "Ol Town Road" which was ENORMOUS.  They've had way lesser known artists with way lesser known hits (Ashlee Simpson, MIMS.)

I missed this part initially. I hope they put him in at least one sketch. I assume he'll be in a parody music video, too.

• Love 1

*sigh* Of course Pete Davidson is an Elon Musk bro. He is 27. Slowly maturing, and at least he looks happy and healthy, if unfortunately mustachioed.

• Love 1
(edited)

"Makes the Earth better"?  Oh... Honey.... sweetie...... No...........

And don't ask for a Tesla for your Mom!  They explode.

Can somebody show Pete Wikipedia?  Anything?  

Really interesting that he's getting rid of his tattoos though.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

Ratings for the Elon Musk episode:

https://deadline.com/2021/05/saturday-night-live-ratings-elon-musk-wario-chad-on-mars-1234752544/

A contingent of Elon Musk’s legions of fans tuned in to watch the hugely popular — and controversial — billionaire tech inventor and entrepreneur make his debut as host of Saturday Night Live. Last night’s telecast, hosted by Musk with musical guest Miley Cyrus, drew a 4.7 household Live+Same Day rating in the 44 metered local markets and a 2.7 adults 18-49 rating in the 25 markets with local people meters.

That was up sharply from the most recent SNL original on April 10, with host Carey Mulligan and musical guest Kid Cudi, which averaged a 3.6 in overnight households and a 1.5 in adults 18-49.

In fact, the non-entertainer topped the metered market household ratings for any other host this season except for comedians Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle. The 4.8 in households is tied for the third highest telecast of the season, behind the Nov. 7 Chappelle-hosted episode (5.7) and the Oct. 3 season premiere hosted by Rock (5.4). Last night’s household’s result matched the overnight rating for the Oct. 24 show hosted by Adele.

4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Ratings for the Elon Musk episode:

https://deadline.com/2021/05/saturday-night-live-ratings-elon-musk-wario-chad-on-mars-1234752544/

A contingent of Elon Musk’s legions of fans tuned in to watch the hugely popular — and controversial — billionaire tech inventor and entrepreneur make his debut as host of Saturday Night Live. Last night’s telecast, hosted by Musk with musical guest Miley Cyrus, drew a 4.7 household Live+Same Day rating in the 44 metered local markets and a 2.7 adults 18-49 rating in the 25 markets with local people meters.

That was up sharply from the most recent SNL original on April 10, with host Carey Mulligan and musical guest Kid Cudi, which averaged a 3.6 in overnight households and a 1.5 in adults 18-49.

In fact, the non-entertainer topped the metered market household ratings for any other host this season except for comedians Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle. The 4.8 in households is tied for the third highest telecast of the season, behind the Nov. 7 Chappelle-hosted episode (5.7) and the Oct. 3 season premiere hosted by Rock (5.4). Last night’s household’s result matched the overnight rating for the Oct. 24 show hosted by Adele.

Maybe, People Were Like Me And Watched To See Why Every Body Hated Him So Much Instead OF People Watching Him Because He Is Popular !

• Love 1
On 5/3/2021 at 4:01 PM, vb68 said:

Don't Forget Elon Musk !

(edited)
On 5/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Makes the Earth better"?  Oh... Honey.... sweetie...... No...........

And don't ask for a Tesla for your Mom!  They explode.

Can somebody show Pete Wikipedia?  Anything?  

Really interesting that he's getting rid of his tattoos though.

I don't think they are unsafe, I think that was a one-off.  I am like the only person without a Tesla in the school pick-up line.  And I want one!

On 5/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, opus said:

🙁

John Mulaney and wife Annamarie Tendler split after six years of marriage

(Wasn't sure if this was the right place for this)

I am so upset by this, I need more info.  I am a huge Mulaney fan and he really seemed to be just enamored with his wife when he spoke of her in ALL of his stand-up specials.  And she is "heartbroken" so he filed for divorce!?  I am surprised.

Edited by heatherchandler
8 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't think they are unsafe, I think that was a one-off.

Yeah, it's rockets that Musk has had an extensive series of blow up. Did Weekend Update or any of the sketches touch on that?

• Love 1
On 5/12/2021 at 10:44 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, it's rockets that Musk has had an extensive series of blow up. Did Weekend Update or any of the sketches touch on that?

Jost made a joke about how they can't blame Tesla/Elon for China's rocket blowing up.

On 5/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, heatherchandler said:

I am so upset by this, I need more info.  I am a huge Mulaney fan and he really seemed to be just enamored with his wife when he spoke of her in ALL of his stand-up specials.  And she is "heartbroken" so he filed for divorce!?  I am surprised.

And now he is supposedly dating Olivia Munn. 

The whole thing is a reminder to me I don't know these celebrities and I need to stop thinking their lives are what they tell us they are. From what he said in his recent return to standup, he's had problems for a while, which takes a toll on any marriage - I'm just sorry this all had to be a public mess. 

(Sorry, I know this is not on topic anymore)

• Love 4

Well, since Conan was a writer and appeared once or twice on SNL and is wrapped up with many SNL folks, it should be noted his 10 year run on TBS ends tomorrow. 

His final guests include several SNL alum, notably Dana Carvey, Martin Short, Sara Silverman, and Bill Hader.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2021 at 10:40 AM, VCRTracking said:

Great video. I turned it on, planning to see just the beginning. I ended up watching all 23 minutes. thanks for posting the link.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:40 AM, VCRTracking said:
  • Love 1