Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Face The Raven

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I enjoyed that, but I think I would have liked it more if I hadn't been spoiled.

I liked a lot of the ideas, but there wasn't much of a plot, or at least the plot hasn't finished yet. It felt like more of a means to an end.

Is that the first time they've done a post-credits scene/shot?

• Love 2

While I feel that the send off was appropriate for a companion...I also think that this episode was trying to evoke feelings that the Series hadn't earned. I felt for the Doctor I felt for Rigsy. But not for Clara.

And as Moffat says here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p038fndm....It'sno ones fault Clara died but her own. Hopefully the Doctor will be able to realise that. after a while.

And was Ashildr planning on committing Suicide?

• Love 4

I didn't watch (again). Is she actually dead? Damn, does that mean we're now going to get an extended sequence of the Doctor grieving as if she's the only person he's ever known and loved? I really wish current TV wasn't so in love with the idea that throwing non-stop angst at a show makes it more deep and meaningful. For the most part, all it does is manipulate and devalue the emotions it is trying to play with, going for shock value as often as possible rather than actually putting in any heavy lifting on the character development front. And this is a show where tragedy and death have long since ceased to have any meaning, since no one seems to stay dead any more anyway.

• Love 4

After watching Tennant in Jessica Jones all weekend, it was kind of creepy to see another Doctor dressed in a purple suit.

OMG- you read my mind :)  Loved JJ.

Good episode- great performance by Capaldi- his scary suppressed rage was very well done.  Hard to mourn Clara since I haven't really liked her much this entire season, but very good setup for the end of the season.

• Love 2

I hope there's some kind of payoff to this, otherwise bringing Clara back this season was a huge waste of time and they should have just given her the ending offered in "Last Christmas" before they reversed it at the very end. That would have been a nicely unexpected and understated farewell. Unless there's something more that results from her death, then having her around this series, giving her nothing to do, then killing her just seems pointless. Prove me wrong, show!

• Love 6

Well, Clara's dead, and it's from her own stupidity. And ego; mustn't forget ego. In the end, she truly thought she was just like the Doctor and could do what he did, and it bit her in the ass. I have to, grudgingly, give Moffat credit for letting that happen. Last year, Doctor Clara would have been able to save the day with only a minor assist from the old guy.

I also agree that bringing Clara back this season, only to kill her, was a complete waste of time. And, what for? So, we'd all be sad and forget how much we disliked her? I cried buckets when Amy and Rory left (and they didn't even die), but with this, I was only vaguely aware that the overwrought music was trying to drag a tear out of my eyes. The season would have been better spent introducing a new companion; one who had better chemistry with Twelve.

What was in the post credit scene? My copy cut off right after the Doctor was teleported.

• Love 9

The post credits scene showed Rigsy decorating/graffitiing the (now abandoned) Tardis. It had pretty flowers painted all over it and a portrait of Clara. I thought it was actually really sweet and pretty.

I agree that the memorial was beautiful and a nice way to bring back Rigsy's street art.

However, I unfortunately wasn't moved by Clara's death itself, as hard as the writer and director tried to pull my heartstrings.  It was weird that the Doctor would just stand there in the doorway, watching Clara die.  While it's good to be reminded that the Doctor doesn't always win and that Companions do die, the whole farewell scene fell flat for me.  Yes, Clara's sacrifice was noble; she died with dignity, owning that she did this to herself, but it just didn't feel tragic because Rigsy wasn't a strong enough character for me to feel worth saving (even with the baby).

On the other hand, I loved the Doctor's words to Ashildr after Clara's death--his quiet rage was chilling.  The other part of the episode I liked was the short interactions with the Janus-faced alien.  It was intriguing how she couldn't "read" the Doctor because his "past" and "future" were so scrambled.  I hope we meet that character again.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode, which will be all Capaldi.

Edited by alrightokay
  • Love 5

We all knew Clara was going to die. I like the fact that she died because she was reckless. She did something brave and reckless while trying to be like The Doctor. I thought Clara's death was probably one of the better endings for a companion.

The Doctor's quite rage at the situation was nice to. His warning to Ashildr was a nice touch. I have not been the biggest fan of this season but I really enjoyed this episode.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

The saddest thing about Clara's death is that I felt nothing. They trumped it up with slow motion, music and facing her death bravely. However, all I could feel was annoyance at clara's ego thinking she was just like the Doctor. I also felt annoyance and anger at The Doctor acting as if Clara was the most important being to ever live and that going genocidal on a bunch of innocent people was a good idea because poor wittle Clara died.

I truly hate Twleve/Clara probably maybe even more than I hated Ten/Rose.

• Love 6

Anybody else figure that Ashildr will get a proper Viking funeral in two weeks . . . while she's still alive? I don't think I've seen the/a Doctor this pissed since Ten obliterated the Racnoss Queen.

I'm not going to mourn Clara, because I feel she was toxic to the series. That, and I don't think this will be the end of her. Hard not to roll your eyes at her going in slow-motion, facing down her death. As far as deaths go, I think Adric's "Now I'll never know if I was right" was handled with a better touch. Here's hoping Moffat brings in a new companion with more dimensions. Or maybe Strax. Too weird?

• Love 8

Same here, I didn't feel for Clara when she died. "Clara, you dumb." The death didn't feel earned at all. Maybe that's the point? This is part one, we might see her come back somehow, I don't know. I hope this is the end for her, though.

Her whole story has become really confusing. First she was the Doctor's caretaker, then she was the Impossible Girl. Through that she had a hand in saving all 13 incarnations and that'd be enough to stroke anyone's ego. And she died for it trying to protect someone else thinking that the Doctor would find a way out of this. She might've assumed Doctor 101 an 102, but she didn't remember Doctor 103: The Doctor usually doesn't have a plan.

EDIT: Who's "They"? I guess we'll find out next week. Davros? Missy? Some new villain the Doctor claims to have seen before?

Also...last week was pointless, wasn't it? I thought something was going to come from that, but it didn't.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

I was spoiled on this episode about a month ago.  Still, I thought it was very good.

Loved Diagon Alley, I mean Trap Street.  I thought it and the situation here was fascinating.  Capaldi rocked it with his rage at the end.

It's hilarious that Clara's arrogance and stupidity got her killed.  She flew too close in the sun.  I really like Jenna Coleman but that final scene did nothing for me.  I hated the way Clara talked to the Doctor and she came across as more unlikeable than ever.  She truly brought out the worst in the Doctor and their relationship was toxic.  It's pretty clear Clara was re-written into a lot of the episodes this season.  She should have left after Last Christmas and 12 should have been given a companion afterwards more suited for his character.

I like Rigsy but he contributed nothing to this episode except serving as a plot device.

Always nice to see Maisie Williams.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 8

Anybody else figure that Ashildr will get a proper Viking funeral in two weeks . . . while she's still alive? I don't think I've seen the/a Doctor this pissed since Ten obliterated the Racnoss Queen.

I'm not going to mourn Clara, because I feel she was toxic to the series. That, and I don't think this will be the end of her. Hard not to roll your eyes at her going in slow-motion, facing down her death. As far as deaths go, I think Adric's "Now I'll never know if I was right" was handled with a better touch. Here's hoping Moffat brings in a new companion with more dimensions. Or maybe Strax. Too weird?

And here I thought that Ashildr would take the Raven for Clara. Like I said above, I'm pretty sure that this isn't over.

And Strax. God I hope Strax joins up, I'd love to see more of 12 getting irritated by him.

• Love 3

After watching Tennant in Jessica Jones all weekend, it was kind of creepy to see another Doctor dressed in a purple suit.

haha my thoughts exactly, esp. when The Doctor got all revengy. But Clara was brave and took responsibility for her actions. Athough she was a little anoyi g at times Clara was/is a good companion for The Doctor. RIP Clara Osgood we'll miss your soufflés.
  • Love 1

Strax would be awesome at first, but a little Strax goes a long way. Like many others I'd really like to see Osgoode. She would remember that the Doctor can save you from your own stupidity only so many times. Clara was so immodest and arrogant that she poisoned the dynamic, IMO. I did have some feels at the end, but music always moves me, and they were only for the Doctor anyway.

Edited by Starchild
  • Love 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't moved by Clara's death.  I'm still thinking "That was it?"  Rose in tears on Bad Wolf Bay, Donna's tragic ending, Rory and Amy, all of those episodes had me in uncontrollable sobs.  Even old Clara in Last Christmas really got to me.  This?  This was a big old meh.  Maybe I need to watch it again, but I just can't help thinking she went out with such a whimper when the others got really emotional send offs. 

(I'll admit, I'm not really remembering Martha's goodbye other than the married to Mickey one, so maybe this is on par with hers?)

• Love 4

I can't help it, I love Strax...

• Love 3

I agree that the memorial was beautiful and a nice way to bring back Rigsy's street art.

Oh is THAT where they knew him from -- that episode with the 2-dimensional aliens? I vaguely recollect that story and only because I caught a few minutes of it while I was channel surfing last week. Was anyone else saying "Who the hell IS this guy?" through the whole episode?

Loved Diagon Alley, I mean Trap Street.

WAS that the Diagon Alley set? It sure looked like it.

So . . . Clara, The Impossible Girl, Oswall is dead. RIP. I was not moved at all. I suppose knowing she was going to leave the show took a lot of the sting out of it. But I recall being heartbroken when Donna left. And Rose. And Amy Pond. So my lack of emotion over Clara leaving makes me feel sad. Oh look, at least I'm feeling that.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 10

Ah, Clara, you did yourself in with your arrogance and hubris. Oh, well. The Doctor might miss you but I won't. You should have taken the graceful exit Last Christmas; there was really no point to you this season.

I liked this episode overall. Enjoyed the Knockturn Alley feel of Trap Street. And Capaldi is fantastic. I hope the next companion does better by the Doctor than Clara the Special Snowflake did.

Edited by bugsmum
  • Love 8

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't moved by Clara's death.  I'm still thinking "That was it?"  Rose in tears on Bad Wolf Bay, Donna's tragic ending, Rory and Amy, all of those episodes had me in uncontrollable sobs.  Even old Clara in Last Christmas really got to me.  This?  This was a big old meh.  Maybe I need to watch it again, but I just can't help thinking she went out with such a whimper when the others got really emotional send offs. 

(I'll admit, I'm not really remembering Martha's goodbye other than the married to Mickey one, so maybe this is on par with hers?)

I sobbed unashamedly when Amy left, and Rose as well. And Donna was heartbreaking.

But Clara- ugh...my husband and I were both just saying, "alright, already--just get it over with!"  She was ordering the Doctor around yet again...just wanted her to be gone.

I felt nothing, except relief. And I like Jenna Coleman, just not The Impossible Souffle girl, Clara.

Ravens are one of my favorite creatures IRL, so I loved the whole idea of facing the raven, or running from it. Good episode though. She got a decent end, and went out bossy and brave.

Edited by whoknowswho
  • Love 5

Count me in on not really caring that Clara died.  Though I have to admit I had no idea that she was leaving during this episode.  I thought I read that they were getting rid of her during the Christmas episode.

I did not realize that so many fans disliked Clara (Granted I tend to stay away from non-reality show threads that talk about shows because I am tempted to read spoilers.).  I never really had a like or dislike of Clara, yeah I think Jenna is cute but other than that I felt her character was just there and I never felt the attachment I did towards Amy.

Really I tend to not really care about most of the companions on the new version of the show.  I am not sure why but it is the case.  I really hate how they do entire episodes about their personal lives. 

I thought overall this episode was decent, I did like a pissed off Doctor threatening Arya Stark. 

• Love 1

Well, I'll go against the tide here and say that I will miss Clara. I always liked her, and I want to like Doctor 12 but I wish they had been given better stories this season. Or at least, I wish the sound was better this series. I have to turn my tv up really loud to hear a lot of the dialogue.

Is this the first companion to die in the New Who? Rose was in another universe/dimension, Martha walked away, Donna had her memories wiped, Rory and Amy got stuck in a time locked area of New York. I hate that she died, I hate that Danny died. I guess that spaceman from the future will not exist. Sigh.

Is there only one more episode?

• Love 3

The saddest thing about Clara's death is that I felt nothing. They trumped it up with slow motion, music and facing her death bravely. However, all I could feel was annoyance at clara's ego thinking she was just like the Doctor. I also felt annoyance and anger at The Doctor acting as if Clara was the most important being to ever live and that going genocidal on a bunch of innocent people was a good idea because poor wittle Clara died.

I truly hate Twleve/Clara probably maybe even more than I hated Ten/Rose.

I hated Clara/AnyDoctor more than I hated any other companion/Doctor.  That said, I didn't think they would actually kill her.

• Love 4

Well, I'll go against the tide here and say that I will miss Clara. I always liked her, and I want to like Doctor 12 but I wish they had been given better stories this season. Or at least, I wish the sound was better this series. I have to turn my tv up really loud to hear a lot of the dialogue.

Is this the first companion to die in the New Who? Rose was in another universe/dimension, Martha walked away, Donna had her memories wiped, Rory and Amy got stuck in a time locked area of New York. I hate that she died, I hate that Danny died. I guess that spaceman from the future will not exist. Sigh.

I thought it was terrific and I was moved to tears.  I liked Clara and never more than in this episode.  I'm sad that so many people seem to hate her.  I think the writing for her has been atrocious, but actually the continuity this season has been good.  She was becoming too reckless and I like that she realized this was her own fault.  Capaldi was excellent, too.  I could actually feel his controlled anger.  This was the best episode of the season for me.   RIP Clara Oswald.

We all knew Clara was going to die. I like the fact that she died because she was reckless. She did something brave and reckless while trying to be like The Doctor. I thought Clara's death was probably one of the better endings for a companion.

The Doctor's quite rage at the situation was nice to. His war lining to Ashildr was a nice touch. I have not been the biggest fan of this season but I really enjoyed this episode.

I really enjoyed this episode, too! 

• Love 3

I missed most of the first 10-15 minutes of the episode.  Everything was going fine until I saw the Doctor and co walking down the corridor where I used to work - in the Cardiff University Main building.  So then all of us spent the next few scenes playing "spot the Cardiff landmark" until they found the trap street.

Clara didn't connect with me as a companion.  I can't see I'm sad to see her go.  Though I'd like to se more companions who naturally decide to leave of their own accord.

• Love 1

So, Clara is really truly dead? Like really most sincerely?

If they hadn't already faked Clara's death once before this season in part 1 of a two-parter, I would say for certain she's really dead.  Is Missy going to show up next episode with a once again living Clara in the sewers under the trap street ?

Was anyone else saying "Who the hell IS this guy?" through the whole episode?

You weren't the only one -- I had no idea who he was, or that his wife/girlfriend was pregnant in the episode he was in, so I was not really impressed by his inclusion like he was such a close personal friend of Clara.

I thought the whole episode was kind of underwhelming story-wise -- though Capaldi did a really good job with what he was given.

Clara's dead -- meh. Don't really care.

How did Ashildr create this alley hidden from the rest of London ?  Where did the tech come from because I doubt she invented it with her 1890s knowledge ? Who created the telepathic street lamps that hid everyone's actual appearance ? Why would all these aliens have just given up doing war-like alien stuff ?  The refugees from Janus I understand, but the Cyberman -- WTF ?  Where did Ashilder get the quantum shade from ?  Was it the aliens that were making her set the trap for The Doctor ?  Somebody else ?

As for the quantum shade taking the form of a raven, I was waiting for Clara to say "Nevermore" before she was finally killed.

• Love 3

Clara's death is yet another due to the Doctor's influence despite what Moffatt said.

There has been too much "magical" technology in this season. The show is leaning towards fantasy with more and more WTF conclusions. Arya Underfoot can't carry a season. The Doctor should have taken the girl to a planet of long lived people. She causes nothing but trouble here. Strangely she was nowhere to be found during the Zygon Farce. Wouldn't some of the Zygons have escaped to her little piece of Harry Potter's world? Is Clara is really dead? I would have expected Danny to come back to save her.

Edited by Sunnydayman
  • Love 1
I'll admit, I'm not really remembering Martha's goodbye other than the married to Mickey one, so maybe this is on par with hers?

Martha didn't get a big emotional farewell, but that's because she chose to walk away on her own (both to be with her family after the ordeal with the Master and because she realized her feelings for the doctor weren't good for her). It wasn't a Big. Dramatic. Moment, but I'd say being the only New Who companion to get to leave on her own terms makes her ending (as a full time companion, anyway, because she popped up a few times) awesome in its own way. I didn't shed tears over it, but I don't think we were supposed to. It was more "hell yeah! Go live an awesome life on your own, you rock star!" (I really love Martha. And I would love it if the next companion also left voluntarily, because while traveling with the doctor can be awesome, it's not all there is in life. Even though they basically got a happy ending together, I'm still annoyed Amy and Rory weren't allowed to bow out because they wanted a grown up, settled life. It would have been the perfect end to their arc.)

Anyway, I agree with the people saying they were not moved by this. Clara never really clicked with me the way past companions had, so maybe that's why. I do in theory like that she died for no real reason other than her own hubris, though. That's an interesting idea. Just wish I really cared more.

Edited by Agnes Bean
  • Love 11

It feels like a trick. Just like last Christmas. I won't believe it until it's for certain and he's zooming around time and space again with someone new (Osgood!!!)

Also, did anyone else find the slow mo, multiple angles death really strange? I really thought she was ready to go and didn't run and that actually the raven had spared her.. but no they were just doing a weird bit.

So, that actually happened. Huh. I thought for sure that Moffat would bring Danny back from the dead and Clara would leave to marry and have little Pinks, and that would restore the time line where Orson existed and Clara gave a pep talk to that Time Lord child so that he becomes The Doctor. And I would have really hated that, so thanks for not going there, show.

• Love 1

I think they missed an opportunity. It was a good way to end her story, but it didn't have the gravitas it needed IMO because they didn't tie it in to the rest of her life. It was only tied in to her behaviour this season -- becoming more reckless and doctor-like. But why did she become like that in the first place? She didn't used to be like that, so what changed? "Maybe this is what I want," she says -- maybe she had some kind of deathwish. But why?

We can theorize that it's because of Danny, and that's what makes the most sense. But his name hasn't even been mentioned all season, so the connection just isn't clear. Why not mention it now?  "Maybe this is what I want, maybe this is why I've been so reckless lately... since Danny died, it's they only way I could feel alive again, but now I'm tired."

And why not bring back some references to her entire past, her whole mythology? Clearly the doctor was verklempt but why not say something? "Clara, this can't happen... you're my Impossible Girl, you can't leave me now."  Or why not have a leaf float away when she dies and a voiceover from Clara talking about how she finally felt peace. Or some mention of her fragments, "Clara you saved me so many times, why can I not save you now."  

I don't have a problem with his accepting it and standing by to let it happen. I do think he should have COMPLAINED a whole lot more first, though.

Anyway, I was thinking that Rigsy was likely as the next companion, but since they gave him a 'new human' I doubt that's the case. So a friend of mine came up with a neat theory -- he wants the next companion to be a person of colour, and more specifically, someone Indian -- there are many people from India (and the general area) who live in Britain, we saw some in the Zygon episodes for instance. There's never yet been an Eastern companion (whether middle east/Arab, southeast Indian, or east Asian) and given British demographics, Indian seems the most statistically likely.

Then my friend thought that the 'new human' looks mixed race, somewhat Indian. Of course it can be hard to tell with babies lol... but just say that she is. Now the Doctors comes back for a visit, 20 years or so in their future, and meets her all grown up.

After all, when he invited Rigsy into the Tardis in this episode, he did initially tell him to 'bring the new human' -- so she has a standing invitation. And then he rescinded that by saying 'no, she'd be too distracting.' And what does the doctor need when he's alone after his companion died? A distraction.

So... are the street people going to be upset when they find out Mayor Me lied to them about the murder?  Did she explain what she got out of this deal to turn over the doctor?

And is Douglas Adams' estate going to sue over their use of the Somebody Else's Problem field? ;)

• Love 4

I liked Oswin - the original Dalek Clara. But then I really really miss how in the original series we got companions that weren't from contemporary Earth.

From what I understand, they didn't use Clara Oswin because they didn't want to write a companion that was from Victorian times because it was difficult or something.  It's disappointing that they were that lazy about it.  A show like Sleepy Hollow has shown how much fun it is to write for a character who is way out of his time and it's their MAIN character in that case.

• Love 3

I think they missed an opportunity. It was a good way to end her story, but it didn't have the gravitas it needed IMO because they didn't tie it in to the rest of her life. It was only tied in to her behaviour this season -- becoming more reckless and doctor-like. But why did she become like that in the first place? She didn't used to be like that, so what changed? "Maybe this is what I want," she says -- maybe she had some kind of deathwish. But why?

And why not bring back some references to her entire past, her whole mythology? Clearly the doctor was verklempt but why not say something? "Clara, this can't happen... you're my Impossible Girl, you can't leave me now." Or why not have a leaf float away when she dies and a voiceover from Clara talking about how she finally felt peace. Or some mention of her fragments, "Clara you saved me so many times, why can I not save you now."

I don't have a problem with his accepting it and standing by to let it happen. I do think he should have COMPLAINED a whole lot more first, though.

This. It's been raining anvils all season, anybody paying even a little attention has known for ages that Clara wasn't going to get out of this season alive (unless Moffatt is even worse than I think he is), so more context would have added meaning that simply wasn't there otherwise.