Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: What Did We Do?

I was surprised that it ended so suddenly! I felt that we were finally getting answers, but then it ended before we even caught up to the flash forwards.

As soon as we found out about Asher's father (which I didnt see coming but in retrospect shouldn't have been surprised about), I was pretty sure he would be the one to kill Sinclair, so I wasn't surprised about that. I loved the scene where Bonnie told him, though. I'm kind of confused as to why it was her who was delivering the news, but I thought they both nailed that scene. I really felt for Asher, and it was obvious that despite what Bonnie said before, she still really cares about him.

I know people had predicted that Annalise would plan on getting shot as part of the plan to put Catherine in jail, but I thought that was just the most insane plan that made zero sense, and even though that's what happened, I *still* think it's the most insane plan that makes zero sense. She is just completely off her rocker. There is a screw (or five) loose. Any way you want to say it, I can't understand it. And it makes even LESS sense to me that she's doing this to protect Nate, since I've never really seen that she loves him that much. I know some people disagree with this, but I really haven't seen/felt a connection between them, so her ridiculous plan makes even less sense to me.

And then there's Wes...I was also surprised that he was willing to kill Annalise - because really, he shot to kill. I also don't really get why Wes is willing to do all of these crazy things for Rebecca, although I guess that ship sailed a long time ago and at this point we pretty much just have to accept that he has zero common sense when it comes to her.

I thought the kid who played young Wes was fantastic. I could really believe that he was Wes (albeit by a different name), both in terms of appearance as well as mannerisms and voice tone/inflection. I wish we had gotten to know a bit more about Annalise and Eve's role in his mom's death. I'm not convinced it was suicide, although if it was, that kind of explains why Annalise was so upset when Asher's dad killed himself. It wouldn't be the first time then that she's caused someone's parent to kill themselves.

The flashback said ten years ago, and didn't Eve say that her and Annalise "consulted on a federal case" ten years ago? I wonder if the two events are related. At any rate, it sounds like they both would have been out of law school at that point. And I'm excited to see more of Eve, even if it's only in flashbacks with that horrible hair.

*edited to remove spoiler tags*

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 5

Damn. Those stupid silly kids got Analise all twisted. She has lost her damn mind, all because Wes killed Sam. And she was dropping people's secrets left and right. Wes continues to be an idiot and Connor continues to piss me off. Nothing is stopping any of them from going to cops...except themselves. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 7

OK, is it me or did they not show Asher walking into the police station and confessing that there had been a murder?

Because didn't we see a scene like that a couple of weeks ago, where he's sitting in the car at the gas station, Bonnie goes in the bathroom to clean herself off, (they showed this tonight)... but then when she comes out, a couple of weeks ago, they showed Asher walking into what I assumed was a police station and confessing that there was a murder.  

Where was this scene?

• Love 11

I suspect it's because it's only the mid season finale, so they're saving it for the season finale.

Damn. Those kids got poor Analise all twisted. And she was dropping people's secrets left and right. Wes continues to be an idiot and Connor continues to piss me off. Nothing is stopping any of them from going to cops...except themselves.

They're messed up, but it's not surprise with the messed up people they're around.

• Love 1

As soon as Annalise told Wes the truth about Rebecca, I knew he'd shoot her. This finale didn't go where I thought it would at all. I felt sure Phillip was the one who shot Annalise, especially when he showed up at the house.

Annalise became super unhinged at the end there. It was almost too much.

Michaela said it best in this ep - these are officially the worst people ever.

Still processing.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

My reactions while watching… Damn! Holy Crap! Wow! Wha?? DAMN! WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT (HOW LONG?) FOR THE HIATUS TO END?

More collected observations…

The "four of them" did not kill Sam. Wes did. I know they still broke the law with everything that came after, but saying they all killed him makes it sound like a lynch mob or some kind of premeditated group attack. It was not. This lack of distinction bugs me (obviously), for some reason.

Other thoughts. Both of Asher's parent are horrible in their own ways, which, granted, is relative on this show. Of course, that doesn’t gives him the right to kill anyone. Even annoying DA. I did not see Asher being a killer coming, even with all that grief and hurt and anger.

Kid Wes/Christoff is a much better actor than adult Wes. Also, what did Analise and Eve do?

• Love 7
And then there's Wes...I was also surprised that he was willing to kill Annalise - because really, he shot to kill. I also don't really get why Wes is willing to do all of these crazy things for Rebecca, although I guess that ship sailed a long time ago and at this point we pretty much just have to accept that he has zero common sense when it comes to her.

I'm sort of hoping that shooting Annalise and finding out she has some connection to his past will cure him of the Rebecca obsession.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

OK, is it me or did they not show Asher walking into the police station and confessing that there had been a murder?

Because didn't we see a scene like that a couple of weeks ago, where he's sitting in the car at the gas station, Bonnie goes in the bathroom to clean herself off, (they showed this tonight)... but then when she comes out, a couple of weeks ago, they showed Asher walking into what I assumed was a police station and confessing that there was a murder.  

Where was this scene?

It is possible they are saving that until the spring premiere. We saw flashforwards with Nate and the Keating 4 in the car driving away as well as Frank in the hospitial that would be presumably in the future as well.

The whole episode was insane, but the scene with the gun, the desperation of Annalise was played so well by Viola, I haven't ever seen a moment quite like that

• Love 12

I was proud of the kids that they all turned down a chance to shoot her...I am shocked Connor killed Sinclair...and I actually thought Annalise shot herself....so I was close...

Still the end scene really got me...Whoah....

It's gonna be a long winter but I may just have to rewatch this season...

• Love 3

That was just all kinds of ridiculous. 

I don't know. I knew from the get-go that this show would be crazy, but it's slowly going from guilty pleasure to just not watchable. These people are all terrible. And like, fine, I can watch a show with terrible characters, but then something else has to change. It's just wayyyy too contrived now. Now we know Annalise and Eve had something to do with Wes's mom's death. The Keating 4 were involved in Sam's murder. Asher has now killed someone. Frank killed Lila. Bonnie killed Rebecca. I'm surprised these characters don't snap with all this crap going on. Shrug. I guess I am just finding it less enjoyable as the series drags on. 

• Love 8

Was Wes actually trying to kill Annalise over stupid dopey girl?  He purposely aimed higher than her leg, I thought.  I'd be scared of him, and they're almost all pretty reprehensible for various things, but him...  I don't know.  Crazy obsessive impulsive <> want to be around. 

I'm glad that they were all like, "I'm not going to fucking SHOOT you." Until Wes did, but he's my least favorite of them anyway.

Though I also wouldn't have minded if Laurel did it in a completely calm way.

• Love 9

Sinclair was smug but damn, she sure knew how to push the right buttons.

Earlier today, I recalled a scene from one of the earlier scenes where the doctor mentions to Frank that the Annalise's shot wasn't fatal and my mind jumped to the possiblity of Annalise having someone else shoot her. However, I thought she would use that to frame Phillip not Catherine.

That last scene was interesting. I wonder if my theory may be right. Also, kudos to casting for getting a child actor that resemblem Alfred Enoch.

Asher's mom was a piece of work.

Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 2

When Annie told Asher that that they killed Sam, I was hoping one of them would say "Uh, actually, Wes killed Sam because of that dumb bitch Rebecca, then this crazy bitch over here had us dispose of the body", I'm really getting tired of Annie laying this all at their feet, this whole mess got started because of Rebecca and Wes. 

The final scene was insane, though, watching Annie come unhinged like that was disturbing. 

• Love 12

Damn. Those stupid silly kids got Analise all twisted. She has lost her damn mind, all because Wes killed Sam. And she was dropping people's secrets left and right. Wes continues to be an idiot and Connor continues to piss me off. Nothing is stopping any of them from going to cops...except themselves.

Exactly. Connor and Michaela can pop off all they want but they are horrible people who are only concerned with their self-interests. Connor's been acting like a bitch-baby all season, yet he never outs himself. Even Oliver doesn't know the truth. Michaela on the other hand was willing to cover-up three murders for the man who just gave her a HBI, but everything else is just too much for the delicate princess. You know it's bad when the member of the Keating 5 I have the most respect for is Laurel.

So, did Christophe kill his mom, go through the juvie system and have his name changed to Wes upon his release?

His attitude was either shock or a subtle way to set up for the reveal that Annalise has felt guilty for Wes's loss all these years when she never owed him anything because Wes killed his mother, because he is a sociopath -- it would explain a lot about his obsession with that horrid Rebecca.

I still say there is now way the Keating 5 as they stand now can be left standing at season'send.

• Love 8
It is possible they are saving that until the spring premiere. We saw flashforwards with Nate and the Keating 4 in the car driving away as well as Frank in the hospitial that would be presumably in the future as well.

The whole episode was insane, but the scene with the gun, the desperation of Annalise was played so well by Viola, I haven't ever seen a moment quite like that

Yeah, I just remembered that there were quite a few flash forward scenes that they've showed during the first part of this season that were missing from this episode which will be carried over to February. 

Nate didn't even get to the house yet, to find the kids hiding under the hill.

The one with Asher confessing that I mentioned

The one with Frank at the hospital because ambulance hasn't even gotten to the mansion yet

Then Frank laying Catherine at the grave site

Nate and the Keating-4 dropping Michaela back to her apt. to check on Caleb.

What else hasn't happened yet from those flash forwards cause that's all I can remember right now.

Bottom line, Anna has finally lost her shit and maybe that explains Franks pissed off look when he leaves the hospital.

Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that Wes told Nate about shooting Anna, I can't wait till Feb.

Because in the flash forward, when they are in Nate's car, he's calling Anna's cell to check on her and quite frankly, when Wes shot Anna, everyone else had already left the mansion. Didn't Laurel leave? 

So I don't even think anyone knows that he shot her. We'll see, so good.

There was a quick shot that showed a man dead in a car, I wonder if that was Phillip.

What? When was this?  OMG, I can't keep up. But we did see him pulling up to mansion, so yeah, what happened to him?

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

As soon as we found out about Asher's father (which I didnt see coming but in retrospect shouldn't have been surprised about), I was pretty sure he would be the one to kill Sinclair, so I wasn't surprised about that. I loved the scene where Bonnie told him, though. I'm kind of confused as to why it was her who was delivering the news, but I thought they both nailed that scene.

I think she thought he already knew, so she came over to give her condolences. It was only when he started talking about the leak that she realized that she had to break the news to him.

• Love 1

Though I also wouldn't have minded if Laurel did it in a completely calm way.

Until Wes did it, I was convinced that Laurel would be the one to stoically shoot Annalise while everyone was in hysterics. Wrong about the shooting part, I was. Laurel was still pretty calm through most of the shrieking, even calmly suggesting they throw the gun in the pool and let the chlorine eat the evidence.

• Love 14

Which episode was that in? I have no memory of it happening and I would have expected to remember something like that, but maybe it was short and I missed it?

I can't remember the title of the episode, but it was at least two episodes ago. They show the gas station scene, Bonnie telling him to wait in the car, her going in the bathroom and washing off the blood. Then she comes out, sees that he's not in the car, then it flashes to him saying to someone, they don't show the face of the person, but he's saying he wants to confess to a crime, murder. I assumed it was a police station. He's definitely in doors, in a very dimly lighted place, and standing in front of what looks like a counter.

In the flash forward, they never showed a scene of him coming around the bend talking about a car wash. You just think, he's not in the car. 

Oh no, where did he go?! 

Then you see it looks like he went to a police station to confess.

Edited by represent

I admit, I thought throwing the gun in the pool sounded like a good idea, if they were determined not to do things honestly.

As soon as Asher started to lose it, I thought he was going to shoot Annalise. I thought Annalise was going to kill Sinclair. As things unraveled further, I thought Annalise was going to shoot herself, or if none of the kids would do it, maybe Nate would.

I can't really root for anyone anymore. From Asher's mother's behavior, I thought maybe he lied about his lack of active participation in the gang rape of Tiffany. I mean, why believe anything anyone says to anybody, really?

I finally see why Laurel and Frank like each other. They both stay calm.

We still don't know who killed the Hapstall parents. I almost forgot that was an issue.

• Love 5

We still don't know who killed the Hapstall parents. I almost forgot that was an issue.

LOL, I know, and we still don't know if Anna made that cobbler from scratch either. 

And to tell you the truth, I care more about that cobbler than who killed those Hapstalls at this point.

Hell, Christophe and WTF Anna and Eve did to his mother?!

Yeah, the deceased Hapstalls and their muderer(s) can take several seats.

There's just too, too much.

• Love 13

This show is crazy. I love it. I loved Annalise telling Asher that they killed Sam and furiously reminding them that the whole reason everything has happened was because they killed Sam. In a warped way it was nice that Annalise was determined to protect Nate. Now all the students, Bonnie, and Frank are all killers. Annalise is the only non-killer in the bunch.

Wes shooting Annalise was ridiculous, but at least now we know.

• Love 8

This show is a roller coaster ride and I am enjoying Viola's performance..Tonight was her Emmy reel for 2016. She keeps me entertain, despite the absurdity of the predicament of the protaganists. Wes is Haitian, right? because Annalyse called him Christophe...The little kid who played Wes in the flasback looked so much like the actor who plays Wes in the present..The casting is perfect...I love the show...Viola is the Queen...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 19

I know this show is over-the-top and absurd, but I just love it. There are crazy twists and turns and all of them are horrible people but I've grown to find all of them interesting (well except Wes).

• Love 16

His attitude was either shock or a subtle way to set up for the reveal that Annalise has felt guilty for Wes's loss all these years when she never owed him anything because Wes killed his mother, because he is a sociopath -- it would explain a lot about his obsession with that horrid Rebecca.

In the UK there was a very notorious case in the 1990s of two boys who were about ten, luring away a toddler from a shopping center to his death. The boys were eventually released and given new identities as adults, but I don't know if the juvenile system in any US state has provisions like that. Not that how the law actually works has any bearing on HTGAWM storylines, so my next Christophe/Wes theory is "Witness Protection", another way to explain the name change, but don't people usually stay away from the place they used to live? OTOH, Wes has consistently been portrayed as someone who doesn't think the rules apply to him...but is that because he got his first lesson in learning they don't, as a kid?

Edited by Dejana

Oh yeah, they do know, those kids know at least. I'm still not sure Nate knows, but those kids do know because that was another flash forward. They come back in and Connor is there shaking and looking through Anna's pockets or something telling her that she brought this on herself. Then Michaela is tell him to hurry up and that they've gotta go. I'm exhausted, LOL, trying to remember all the flash forwards that didn't make this finale.

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

Yeah, I just remembered that there were quite a few flash forward scenes that they've showed during the first part of this season that were missing from this episode which will be carried over to February. 

Nate didn't even get to the house yet, to find the kids hiding under the hill.

The one with Asher confessing that I mentioned

The one with Frank at the hospital because ambulance hasn't even gotten to the mansion yet

Then Frank laying Catherine at the grave site

Nate and the Keating-4 dropping Michaela back to her apt. to check on Caleb.

What else hasn't happened yet from those flash forwards cause that's all I can remember right now.

Bottom line, Anna has finally lost her shit and maybe that explains Franks pissed off look when he leaves the hospital.

Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that Wes told Nate about shooting Anna, I can't wait till Feb.

Because in the flash forward, when they are in Nate's car, he's calling Anna's cell to check on her and quite frankly, when Wes shot Anna, everyone else had already left the mansion. Didn't Laurel leave? 

What? When was this?  OMG, I can't keep up. But we did see him pulling up to mansion, so yeah, what happened to him?

Nevermind it was just a flashback to dead Aunt Hapstall.

Asher's mom was a piece of work.

Isn't she? I'm so glad the scene cut out before she started blaming the rape victim for getting herself gang raped and causing all this inconvenience to the Millstone household. At the rate she was going, she sure sounded like she was gearing up to saying something like that. Because apparently nothing, and none of the choices Asher's GROWN-assed father made, were his own fault. 

So Wes DID shoot Annalise over Rebecca's useless ass. At least it was at Annalise's urging. I still don't like it. And why exactly is Annalise prepared to risk her entire life for a client? Because she had to know that telling Wes' unhinged ass about Rebecca was a suicide mission. Why the hell did she do it? 

I'm trying to feel bad about Sinclair. Really, I am. I swear.

Annalise is the only non-killer in the bunch.

Because she's smarter than all of them combined. And if she really is (sometimes) suicidal as they hinted some episodes ago and tonight, she didn't even have to do THAT herself. Everyone else has done the dirty work, and she has no ACTUAL blood on her hands. There's a reason she TEACHES How To Get Away With Murder. She LIVES that shit.

Edited by LaJefaza
  • Love 17

I can't remember the title of the episode, but it was at least two episodes ago. They show the gas station scene, Bonnie telling him to wait in the car, her going in the bathroom and washing off the blood. Then she comes out, sees that he's not in the car, then it flashes to him saying to someone, they don't show the face of the person, but he's saying he wants to confess to a crime, murder. I assumed it was a police station. He's definitely in doors, in a very dimly lighted place, and standing in front of what looks like a counter.

In the flash forward, they never showed a scene of him coming around the bend talking about a car wash. You just think, he's not in the car. 

Oh no, where did he go?! 

Then you see it looks like he went to a police station to confess.

IIR, Asher actually says he wants to make a statement. The way it was shot it looked like he left Bonnie at the gas station and went to confess, but now we know he didn't. So making a statement may not be him wanting to confess to anything. There is still a lot of flash forwards we haven't seen yet.

I can't really root for anyone anymore. From Asher's mother's behavior, I thought maybe he lied about his lack of active participation in the gang rape of Tiffany. I mean, why believe anything anyone says to anybody, really?

The thing is, Sinclair said that Tiffany suffered because of what Asher's father did and that Asher's father was a terrible person, so I'm thinking Asher didn't participate and maybe his father was covering for more than Asher being a drunk who let the rape happen on his watch. We don't know what Asher's mother knows or doesn't know about that night. She may know only what her husband told her.

• Love 2

Sure, I do think Asher killing Sinclair could have been somewhat preventable and it is on him, but....damn if I don't feel sorry for that boy. He was caught up in grief. His last conversation to his dad led to him being disowned, his mother blames him for his death and the Tiffany incident, and Sinclair was actively instigating him. Add to all of that, along with Asher's 'all-but-confirmed' anger issues, and it becomes a split second decision that alters his life, and one that his dad can't get him out of. I also appreciate that Asher was sincerely in shock and guilt-ridden and wanted to go to the police right away. You know, though, with all those meetings in Asher's car that had Sinclair blackmailing and threatening him, who knew that it would be her ultimate demise?

We haven't seen any of the flashforwards from the moment Annalise was shot. The only new thing we truly saw that was a continuation of the flashforwards is Bonnie seeing the empty car after wiping the blood off her clothes.

Wes shoots Annalise and almost kills her until she says his real name. Damn, Wes, you cold! But technically, he's the only one that has actively killed someone in the Keating 4 (I don't call it Keating 5 since they seem to not care in any way about Asher; they don't even have his phone number!). But please, please let Rebecca be laid to rest once Frank shows them the body, and please let us end this Rebecca arc. I'm done with her now. I will say mini Wes looks and acts so much like Alfred Enoch, it's kind of scary actually. It feels like they used some sort of anti-aging machine and made Alfred 10 years younger with all of his current memories in tact. Wes does seem like a total sociopath, though. Mini Wes was just so cold and so detatched from the fact that his mom might be dead, but he was just saying the right words. 

I started to get the feeling that Annalise planned her own shooting about halfway through this episode, and then felt stupid for not thinking of the possibility sooner. 

I'm starting to get annoyed with the Keating 4. It only took a season and a bit, but now I just wanted to tell Connor and Michaela to both shut up. I do appreciate Connor's breakdown, of course I do, but it's still frustrating. Also, I guess we'll see the aftermath of the shooting next half of the season. 

• Love 4

I was ridiculously excited for tonight's episode.  How long have the K5 been under Annalise's tutelage?  Wow she's raising them up to practice law just like her.  Michaela's first impulse when learning of the Hapstall gun?  Get rid of the evidence.  Second impulse?  Drag Connor in so he's implicated as well.  Phillip has a painting which implicates Catherine in her parents' death.  Laurel's first impulse.  Get rid of the evidence.  In a moment of rage, Asher runs over Sinclair.  Does he call 911, or attempt to help her?  No, he calls Bonnie, which now implicates her. 

Annalise was twisted before Wes was ever born.  I actually felt sorry for each of the K5 tonight (even though it was difficult with Connor).  These kids are about 21-22 years old, right?  They each started with such idealistic ideas of what being a lawyer was about.  In short order, they have been taught to lie, cheat, steal, obstruct justice, hide/tamper with/destroy evidence, dispose of a dead body, and manufacture false alibies.  Oh, I forgot one.  Frame innocent people.

Every last one was rattled and scared.  Even Laurel had tears in her eyes at one point. 

More collected observations…
The "four of them" did not kill Sam. Wes did. I know they still broke the law with everything that came after, but saying they all killed him makes it sound like a lynch mob or some kind of premeditated group attack. It was not. This lack of distinction bugs me (obviously), for some reason.

At this point, they'd probably all get the same punishment.  The lack of distinction doesn't bother me.  Wes was just as confused and upset as Connor/Laurel/Michaela.  Wes didn't know what Rebecca would do.  Wes acted instinctively to save Rebecca, and I think he would have done it to save any of them.  I would like to think that the other three would have done something other than watch Sam kill Rebecca, too.  Rebecca was an asshole, but she was acting on Nate's instructions when Sam was killed. 

Earlier today, I recalled a scene from one of the earlier scenes where the doctor mentions to Frank that the Annalise's shot wasn't fatal and my mind jumped to the possiblity of Annalise having someone else shoot her. However, I thought she would use that to frame Phillip not Catherine.

The doctor said that?  How odd.  Gunshot point blank to the gut is always a potentially fatal wound. 

When Annie told Asher that that they killed Sam, I was hoping one of them would say "Uh, actually, Wes killed Sam because of that dumb bitch Rebecca, then this crazy bitch over here had us dispose of the body", I'm really getting tired of Annie laying this all at their feet, this whole mess got started because of Rebecca and Wes. 

I've finally accepted that the only way to truly enjoy this show is to stop worrying about laws and morals.  But it confuses me that Annalise is thought of as the innocent in this whole thing.  "This whole mess got started because of" ...... a lot of things.

• Annalise allowing students to be intimately involved in her case. 
  • Annalise's husband knocking up a college student.
  • Annalise's right hand man killing a pregnant girl at Sam's behest.
  • Rebecca being falsely charged with murder.
  • Annalise's married lover being overly invested in the case.
  • Said lover instructing Rebecca to get evidence off of Sam's computer.
  • Rebecca getting evidence while Sam was present and aware.
  • Michaela calling Wes to tell him to come help.
  • K4 running around, screaming, wrestling with Sam.
  • Someone (Michaela, Laurel?) helping Sam over the bannister.
  • Sam attempting to kill Rebecca.
  • Wes hitting Sam in the head to save Rebecca.
  • K4 and Rebecca running instead of calling 911.
  • Annalise plotting cover up rather than calling 911.
  • K4 and Rebecca following Annalise's instructions.
  • Annalise framing Nate.

Annalise is the puppet master.  Let's also not forget this:  Annalise's husband was a killer, her right hand man is a killer, her assistant is a killer, her lover is a killer (although it was a mercy killing).  She also did something, along with Eve, that has damaged and impacted Wes as a child.  Add destroying Nate's career, framing him for murder, kidnapping and potentially killing Catherine with an overdose, and framing Catherine for murder of Sinclair, and attempted murder of Annalise.  It's an absolute cluster fuck, and Annalise's fingerprints are everywhere.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the character, I do.  And Viola played the hell out of that role tonight.  Annalise is teetering on the verge of self-destruction, and if she goes, she's taking them all down with her.

• Love 14

I think the acting award should go to the K5 this episode - that sequence where Michaela's jumps in front of the gun to Wes' face when Annalise tells him Rebecca was dead was on point and had me on the edge of my seat. And Matt McGorry was just on fire - understated when he needed to be but bringing the emotion when it counted. That crying scene was ugly and real.

Michaela, by the way, is terrifying to me. I can't decide if the way she rapidly swings between unhinged and collected is normal for someone going through this (and if they ever actually think of giving one of them PTSD, its her or Connor) or showing mental instability. She's screaming this episode but pulls herself together crazy fast in Nate's car later, just like last season when she went catatonic in the corner and then got rid of Asher, proceeding to swing between the two all night.

Sidenote: "Connor, please don't leave without me!" made me inappropriately 'aw.'

I was half convinced Annaliese was going to shoot herself, but I was almost sort of hoping Laurel would be the one to shoot her, because I thought Laurel would be the one to be like "Yep, this makes sense." But no, my favorite smug mafia princess let me down. (Note: I was actually proud of her.)

I watched the whole episode but I'd be super appreciative of someone walking me through how Annaliese became convinced that placing the phone call about Catherine and then shooting herself was a good decision.

Edited by aslightjump
  • Love 6

And why exactly is Annalise prepared to risk her entire life for a client?

Not a client, it was for Nate.  She was worried he would be blamed.  I guess she felt guilty about framing him for Sam.  Now how is she going to make it up to Catherine?

I like that Annalise is shown feeling guilty about these things, and that all this shit burdens her.  Rebecca was left alone and helpless in Annalise's home, and she was killed.  What Annalise leaked to the press led to Asher's dad killing himself.  Asher flipped on Sinclair for Bonnie/Annalise, and ends up killing Sinclair.  Obviously none of this was completely Annalise's fault, but she shares the responsibility, and it weighs on her.  She's probably now blaming herself for that family member her mother killed.

• Love 6

Eagerly waiting to see how Annalise explains away the parking garage footage of Nate/Sinclaire/Asher/Bonnie...Oliver hacks into the system and deletes the day's footage? Frank throws around another pile of cash? The cameras were conveniently on the fritz?

• Love 5

I guess I'm in the minority because I absolutely understand where Connor is coming from and my heart broke for him when he was breaking down under the house. So many keep saying "this all started when they killed Annalise's husband." Except as many others have noted, Wes murdered Sam, not Connor. Yes they were present and were incredibly stupid to not call the police immediately then but Connor did not murder Sam. And then the cover up that followed WAS on Annalise. 

The original plan was just for them all to run and leave the house and hope no one saw them there. Then Wes went back for the murder weapon and found Annalise who then convinced him that they had to dispose of the body because everyone would think she did it. She had nothing to do with it, came in and found her husband dead and instead of HER calling the police as well, she CHOSE to implicate herself when she came up with a plan with Wes to get rid of his body. So I'm not buying this "the Keating 4 created this" because Annalise did have a choice. She's such a damn impressive Defense Attorney and she couldn't get herself off for not having murdered Sam?

And then Wes dutifully went along with what she told him to do, doing so without informing the others that he was acting on Annalise's orders. Then later when Connor does decide to go confess and convinces Michaela to as well because really that was what they should have done as soon as Sam ended up dead, Laurel ran to Wes who ran to Annalise who convinced them again that she could take care of them and they were better off trusting her. And now Asher backs up his car on a woman who annoying as fuck as she was, was dead on about his shitty ass daddy and then they have to cover up that too. 

And when Connor rightly says he's not getting his hands dirty on ANOTHER dead body that he once again DID NOT kill, Annalise manipulates him by basically outing Sam's murder to Asher as an ace and at this point he feels stuck. He cannot do anything because it'll be him against Annalise, Bonnie, Wes, etc. He can't go to the police because they'll all just say he's lying and likely pin Sam's murder and everything else on him. The guy was living his life, man whoring and trying to get his law degree and one night on what should have been a study group, he ends up going to a house because Wes says his little girlfriend is in danger because their boss' husband is apparently a murderer. And next thing the husband's dead and his entire life has gone to shit. Yeah, I don't blame him for breaking down.

Because if things were already bad in the cover-up of Sam's death, this all but guarantees none of them are ever getting out of this without some significant jail time. Much as I didn't love this episode, I loved the scene of Annalise with the K4. I thought all the younger actors did well and all stayed true to their characters. While Laurel remained mostly stoic, she was still able to shed some silent tears. And you saw the heartbreaking realization from her when she said maybe they should go to jail because I think they were all realizing how far in over their heads they are and this is only going to keep getting worse. 

I never thought Wes would really be the one who shot Annalise only because he's already killed Sam and I was wondering how much damn blood that kid was going to have on his hands. But yeah I should have known the truth about Rebecca would do the trick. About half way through the episode, I figured out Annalise's shooting would be self inflicted in some way, as in she got someone to do it, to make the staged crime scene seem more believable. And I agree with others who are bothered at the fact that we still know nothing about who killed the Hapstall parents. I still say Caleb's not as innocent as he seems. 

Finally, I didn't love this episode as I said above and it's because exactly what I feared while watching the first season of the show seems to happening. Things are becoming too convoluted and with that, making it harder and harder for it be believable. Sam's death and the way it all went down, I could buy, even if I was baffled at the stupidity of Laurel, Michaela and Connor to not call the police and just let Wes fry. But that said, that was all simple and clear cut enough. But all this stuff with Asher killing Sinclair, them staging her body at the house, Annalise deliberately getting herself shot and all of it being put on Catherine who still may or may not have killed her parents. And now we have Annalise possibly having something to do with Wes' mother's death who by the way is not really named Wes but Christophe. It's all just becoming a little too Scandal for my taste and I checked out of that show after one season. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

She's probably now blaming herself for that family member her mother killed.

This is one she should NEVER even think about much less feel guilty. She was a little girl and instead of her uncle keeping her safe his sick ass was sneaking into her room and raping her. 

She should NEVER lose a drop of sleep over it, but tragically, that's not the case, because she's fucked up and that's mainly why as far as I'm concerned. 

Bonnie's fucked up for the same reason, it's just that Bonnie doesn't carry herself with the strong, aggressive persona that Anna has, but they both suffering from the same crime.

The other stuff, she should feel guilty, but not this, no way, IMO.

• Love 2

@truthaboutlove,  I agree with your entire post.  Why is Annalise giving a break on all that she's done?  She's twenty-something years older than the rest, and she's a very experienced criminal attorney.  I said that I felt for the K5, but it was harder with Connor.  Not because he broke down, I appreciated that human element.  He's just been acting (as I think someone else called him), like such a bitch baby.  He's the one who involved Oliver is this entire mess.  And he was down right nasty to Michaela, who he was closest too.

I loved the look on the K4's faces when Annalise walked in with the gun in her hand.  They jumped up and moved away from her, and they were afraid of her.  Interesting that as much as she goaded them, neither girl was tempted to shoot her.  Connor most likely would have if Michaela hadn't intervened.  But she got to Wes, and that actually makes me madder at her.  She knows her power over him, and she (apparently) already had some negative impact on his childhood.

• Love 1

Things are becoming too convoluted and with that, making it harder and harder for it be believable.

It went from 2 deaths, to multiple cover ups and plot twists.  The problem is how long the show can keep this up because it's already messy.

• Love 1