Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: An Unconventional Carwash!

I wasn't going to watch this show because I don't like kid shows and I intensely dislike Kelly Osbourne but I was curious. I'm glad I watched. These kids are more talented than the last season PR adult designers.

I was blown away by so many of the designs using car wash materials. Zachary's design was awesome, he deserved to win. I thought Matt should have gone home, his poor model could barely walk in that rubber tube skirt. I felt bad for Ysabel, her design was a mess but she had some good ideas on the sponge top.

I like how the kids are so supportive of each other and I don't miss seeing where they are staying, the make up and hair deciding, and the product promoting accessory wall.

• Love 16

I'm loving this show. These kids are so talented. However…Matt is already on my last nerve. My heart broke for Ysabel. What a sweetheart. I wish she could have stayed.

I wish they could all stay. These kids have real talent (some more than others, obviously), and it would be more interesting to see how they develop over the course of a season than to see them eliminated one by one. I'll keep watching, because the show is much more enjoyable than recent seasons of original recipe PR. But I don't think the eliminations are going to get any easier to watch.

• Love 10

I understood the decision to keep Matt.  His garment though seriously flawed showed more innovation.  Interesting that Tim chimed in and told them Ysabel's had not changed after his critique in the work room.  True and that probably helped them feel their decision was correct.  I don't think he influenced them but rather gave them important information.  He also sticks up for those who trash their bad original plans and pull something off at zero hour.  It shows a serious intent to learn.  

Some stars are emerging.  Too early to predict but I see Zachary, Samantha, Peytie and Jesse going far and could be final 4 if they don't clutch and blow a challenge. 

Here are the designers so we can know names until we get familiar. 

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway-junior/designers

I have a soft spot for the Cambodian boy, Jesse, who was adopted by two gay men.  He is smart, centered and mature.  I just like the kid.  

• Love 12

Matt is basically is like some unholy combo of Jenny Humphrey from Gossip Girl plus a Miley Cyrus-esque hairdo run through a Lady Gaga tumblr page.

And Jaxson is basically if you took Jimmy Junior from Bob's Burgers and made his focus be design and not dance. 

• Love 2

I wasn't going to watch this show because I don't like kid shows and I intensely dislike Kelly Osbourne but I was curious. I'm glad I watched. These kids are more talented than the last season PR adult designers.

I was blown away by so many of the designs using car wash materials. Zachary's design was awesome, he deserved to win. I thought Matt should have gone home, his poor model could barely walk in that rubber tube skirt. I felt bad for Ysabel, her design was a mess but she had some good ideas on the sponge top.

I like how the kids are so supportive of each other and I don't miss seeing where they are staying, the make up and hair deciding, and the product promoting accessory wall.

I was just getting ready to post basically this same thing -- I am enjoying this so much more than I thought I would -- its like Project Runway used to be. Its enjoyable again, Tim Gunn is his old mentoring self, and the designs are better than we've seen from the adult designers over the past couple of seasons.  Maybe they should dump the adults completely and stick with the Juniors! 

• Love 19

I was hoping that they might give the Project Runway Junior contestants a bit more time with the challenges than the original recipe PR contestants. Though I wished original recipe PR had less one day challenges too. So I guess I cannot win.

This show has what I like about Masterchef Junior (though a lot of those kids sound coached now) in that there is less drama and more about the output, in this case the designs.

• Love 3

I was hoping that they might give the Project Runway Junior contestants a bit more time with the challenges than the original recipe PR contestants. Though I wished original recipe PR had less one day challenges too. So I guess I cannot win.

This show has what I like about Masterchef Junior (though a lot of those kids sound coached now) in that there is less drama and more about the output, in this case the designs.

Time is money and they now love the one day challenges to the expense of quality and viewer interest.  To have them with the Juniors is disappointing.  Established designers have trouble with this.  Jesus. 

Heidi, yes, you are more high profile in Americas Got Talent but why abandon the stellar success with your original creation?  AGT will fire you in a heart beat for the next sexy woman who is more relevant that you.  What then? 

Edited by wings707

With respect to the one day challenge thing, isn't it even less time on this show than on the original version because these are kids and there are child labor laws?  The adults start early in the morning, work until midnight or so.  These kids can't be doing that, and they probably have forced breaks.  It's crazy what they're pulling off. 

I'm assuming this show is where production's effort went, hence the quality dip in the mothership.  I'm liking everything about it, and not just by contrast with the last real season.  The host is doing really well for a first time reality host, imho, the contestants are cool (so far), Tim seems to be back.  And the judges...I do get annoyed by how excitable Kelly Osborne is, but I actually agree with them, I like seeing them wrestle with delivering bad news to teenagers, and what stood out most to me tonight was that they treat the models like the models are actual human beings.  They don't manhandle, they point.  It's refreshing.

I think this show (right now) is devoid of entitlement and arrogance, and I'm really digging that.  Plus the designs are pretty darn good.

• Love 13

I understood the decision to keep Matt.  His garment though seriously flawed showed more innovation.  Interesting that Tim chimed in and told them Ysabel's had not changed after his critique in the work room.  True and that probably helped them feel their decision was correct.  I don't think he influenced them but rather gave them important information.  He also sticks up for those who trash their bad original plans and pull something off at zero hour.  It shows a serious intent to learn.  

Some stars are emerging.  Too early to predict but I see Zachary, Samantha, Peytie and Jesse going far and could be final 4 if they don't clutch and blow a challenge. 

Here are the designers so we can know names until we get familiar. 

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway-junior/designers

I have a soft spot for the Cambodian boy, Jesse, who was adopted by two gay men.  He is smart, centered and mature.  I just like the kid.  

I cosign every word! I love Jesse too. I was disposed to love him since he lives in the town next to mine (North Shore represent!). plus I'm all about multicultural families; but I completely lost my heart when he said "its a carwash. calm down"! He seems very calm and focused, and clearly really talented. 

Great episode tonight. Nice to see Tim finding his mentoring chops again and the kids are so cute and enthusiastic. A win so far!

• Love 9

What a pleasant surprise this show is!  It does remind me of early the Project Runway years.  The kids are fun, creative and happy to be there.  It's so nice to see them support each other.  It's just like Top Chef Masters (where the chefs were happy to be working with their peers, totally devoid of drama) was a welcome breath of fresh air from Top Chef shenanigans.

I really like the judges and the host does not bother me.  This is a perfect venue for Christian.  Love him!

Given the choice between PR this past season and PR Junior; I choose PR Junior.

• Love 12

Okay, I'm going to be the lone voice of bitchery and say, while I LOVE this so far, they need to be careful or it's going to become Project Runway Crop Top.

Having said that, these kids are so supportive of each other it's amazing. It's like a weird amalgam of Project Runway the Halcyon Years and Face Off.

Matt was bugging me last week, but this week I liked how he knew his was bad and owned it and how crushed he seemed that Ysabel was sent home, while relieved it wasn't himself.

I would have had a hard time choosing between Zachary and Jesse for the win. They should have given it to both of them, seriously.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 8
what stood out most to me tonight was that they treat the models like the models are actual human beings.  They don't manhandle, they point.

I noticed this, too! At one point Kelly even thanked a model for turning around for them, which I thought was nice. 

Also, in general agreement with the posts here: I didn't expect to like this, only tuned in our of boredom, and am surprised to discover it is much more enjoyable than the flagship was this season. Some of these kids are really talented, and I love their enthusiasm, and the generally positive vibe.  

• Love 9

Yeah, this show is so much more enjoyable than the past few regular seasons of PR. I think it's because while these kids are still using the show as a platform to compete and show off their skills, there's also some learning going on, and genuine enthusiasm because they're so young. The adults on the parent show are jaded, and have been struggling to get their design careers off the ground and are more interested in showing off and being "on" for the cameras. When these kids go extreme, it feels more natural. That's just how kids are. They're not necessarily preening for the cameras or creating drama to get more camera time. They seem genuinely excited to be there and have this opportunity. When an adult contestant says they're happy for the opportunity, it rarely sounds genuine.

I'm still learning names, though. I thought Jesse's was terrific, and I think he's going to go far. He's talented and focused. I think it's going to come down to him versus the girl who did the muppet bath mat dress. She is also clearly talented and also has a good head on her shoulders. The hippy California girl grates a bit, but I did like what she made, even if we've seen that technique a million times before. It still looked good. (Even if I probably would've cut the muslin underneath the skirt a little shorter so it wasn't as visible behind the mop fringe.

I didn't mind Ysabele going home. That outfit was a hot mess. The sponge top was okay, but the white straps were kind of boring, the judges were right about that. And her skirt was just horrible. Even if she didn't get the Gilligan's Island reference, Tim was spot on. And when it was so short in the back, adding that fabric to preserve the model's modesty just made it look worse. Matt's skirt was a mess, but I actually liked what he did with the mosaic on the top. And from the front, the tube skirt photographed well and looked interesting. The model just couldn't walk in it and it was falling apart in the back. But overall, despite execution flaws, it had more visual interest.

Also, I'm totally going to hell because at the end when they revealed "We have four tops," I said to my husband: "I don't think there's a single top in that room." :D

• Love 6

I'm loving this show. These kids are so talented. However…Matt is already on my last nerve. My heart broke for Ysabel. What a sweetheart. I wish she could have stayed. 

Sigh. Me too. I knew Matt's was worse, and I knew he would stay. He's a more colorful character than Ysabel, and clearly not averse to stepping into the snarky/mean girl role ("my strategy is to take everything so no one else gets it"). He may have been joking, but somehow I doubt. 

The kids are all really cute, though. I like teens even when they're being over the top teen-ish, I find them amusing.  Everything is So Dramatic! So Important! So I am looking forward to a fun season! 

• Love 2

Also, I'm totally going to hell because at the end when they revealed "We have four tops," I said to my husband: "I don't think there's a single top in that room." :D

Because my mind lives permanently in the gutter, I laughed at the "we have four tops and two bottoms" comment too...jeez that's kind of personal info to know about these kids! 

I'm still all in for this show.  Kids are still cute and talented.  Samantha, Zachary, and Jesse are my early favorites. Samantha made that muppet dress really hot. Zachary's was fantastic too, the structure of it all was quite interesting.  And Jesse's detailing was really great.  All three are super.  

I knew Matt was going to stay over Ysabel.  His look was a hot mess, but he makes better TV than a sweet adorable girl does.  Ysabel was a good sport about going home, no unnecessary drama or hysterics. And Tim was right, her look really didnt' change after his critique, which isn't a good thing.  

• Love 6

I knew Matt's was worse, and I knew he would stay. He's a more colorful character than Ysabel, and clearly not averse to stepping into the snarky/mean girl role ("my strategy is to take everything so no one else gets it"). He may have been joking, but somehow I doubt. 

He was on the "Threads" show, so I think he has his sights set on being not only a designer, but a media personality type.  While I think he likes the designing, he likes the attention more and wants exposure.  As in "It's better to be memorable than good".   And because he also has annoying traits, he will get to stay til the bitter end. 

I really dislike those weird hair chain things that Peytie wears.  

I'm still a Samantha fan, I thought her Muppet Wash mitt dress was adorable.  I am always a sucker for color blocking!  

Wings707 - Thanks for the link to the designers, it helps SO much in the beginning weeks! 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Count me IN....loving it. I do think the first season of a show is often better...more "innocent" and that is the feel here along with the enthusiasm of teens

What I find I really like is the lack of product placement....I am so tired of the "go to hair" (we will sleek it back with xyz gel....spritz with zyg for a beachy look)

and makeup  (using our smoky dokey eyeliner...our hot red lipstick) ...on and the "thoughtful" accessory wall haha

Not to mention whatever phone, tablet etc they are push each season It is nice to not see that. 

• Love 14

I'm enjoying this show.  I wanted Jesse to win but the guy who won the challenge is just so cute as hell.  Good for them both.

I guess a couple of people find Matt annoying?  I do not at all.  Samantha rubs me the wrong way, especially in the first challenge.  I feel horrible saying that, but when I was that age I thought I was the bees knees too.

That boy who runs to hug everybody whether they win or lose!  Can I please adopt him?  I also like the precocious brunette boy with glasses who seems like such a character.

Ysabele was a sweetheart and a half.  So cute.

Does anyone else notice that in the runway show, the editors try really hard not to show the backs of the outfits?  I've noticed this both episodes in a row.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
Does anyone else notice that in the runway show, the editors try really hard not to show the backs of the outfits?  I've noticed this both episodes in a row.

I did notice that.  I was trying to get a good look at the back of the color-blocked dress, but they wouldn't really show it, especially not during the runway walk.

Does anyone else notice that in the runway show, the editors try really hard not to show the backs of the outfits?  I've noticed this both episodes in a row.

I noticed that too.  We got very few shots of the backs of garments and usually it was from afar.  I wonder if that's because many of the models were glued/taped/prayed into their outfits and things weren't actually properly sewn up.  

• Love 1

I think I'd find Matt annoying if he were able to keep up the bitchy-cutthroat queen facade, in the mold of that overly-tan guy from Anya's season.  He can't so far, though, and I'm interested to see how he develops this season. I feel like he'll either refine it or realize it doesn't quite fit who he is.

• Love 1

I have to echo the other posters who've said this version is in many ways superior to the mothership.  I hadn't even noticed the lack of blatant product placement until still hoping mentioned it upthread, and of course that's a huge plus.  Since, over at least these first two eps, the designs seem to be so much better than those of the adults, I tried to think if in some way their challenges have been dumbed down or made easier, and I don't think they have.  I think these kids are just hitting it out of the park.  And these judges aren't trying to be witty or snarky; just evaluate the clothes and give kind but honest critiques.

If not for the fact that they probably can only film this during summer when kids are out of school, I don't see why they even need a separate division for juniors. 

• Love 3

I love Samantha's (muppet dress) vibe.  I just click with her--would wear her stuff in a minute.  Think how comfy the hand mitt dress would be!  Clouds of softness.  She just seems super chill and smart to me.  I liked Zachary's and Jesse's dresses, but they aren't as effortlessly hip as Samantha. 

I was also surprised that Peytie's outfit was well-executed and well-proportioned.  I had my doubts about her. 

I am bored with Matt already.  I wonder if he will the "mean girl" of the season that Tim referred to in his interview?  He said there was one.

• Love 5

Question--Did Ysabel say "Matt is wearing his Louis Vuitton's or his Louboutin's?" Not that it matters but the reviewer says she said Louis Vuitton and I could have sworn she said "Louboutin's". I assumed she was talking about Matt's shoes, and although Vuitton does make mens' footwear, I associate shoes more with Louboutin.

Agree with most of you, this show has much more talented designers than the last adult season of PR! I like Maya (only 13!) as well as Peytie, Samantha, and Jesse. Tim is less cranky and more helpful too--although once again this episode, his suit jacket looked way too small for him!

I knew Matt was going to stay over Ysabel.  His look was a hot mess, but he makes better TV than a sweet adorable girl does.  Ysabel was a good sport about going home, no unnecessary drama or hysterics. And Tim was right, her look really didnt' change after his critique, which isn't a good thing.  

We said the same thing here -- Ysabel didn't stand a chance.   It's a set-up I've noticed before on Project Runway -- when it's down to a flamboyant male designer vs. a female, the female should just skip the formalities and start cleaning her space in the workroom.

How any of the judges could rationalize that horrendous plastic hose that hobbled Matt's model is beyond me.   Hobbling the model is a mortal sin on the adult version. 

"I want to take everything so none of the other designers can get it."   I'd pay to watch Sandy from New York kick Matt's butt all over the workroom.

Agree with most of you, this show has much more talented designers than the last adult season of PR! I like Maya (only 13!) as well as Peytie, Samantha, and Jesse. Tim is less cranky and more helpful too--although once again this episode, his suit jacket looked way too small for him!

Tim seems almost relieved to be with this group.

Edited by millennium

Question--Did Ysabel say "Matt is wearing his Louis Vuitton's or his Louboutin's?" Not that it matters but the reviewer says she said Louis Vuitton and I could have sworn she said "Louboutin's". I assumed she was talking about Matt's shoes, and although Vuitton does make mens' footwear, I associate shoes more with Louboutin.

I'm pretty sure she said "Louboutins".

So far this has been better than most of the last few years of the main franchise.  It was a good move having this on right after the mess of a season that just ended.

Most of the kids did a really great job considering this was an unconventional challenge.  A talented bunch!  Great casting.

I just realized that Hannah Davis is from the Hannah and her horse ads for DirectTV.    She's a pretty girl, but I'm not sure she was the best choice for the Heidi role.

• Love 1

Ha, I am with Jesse. Does being in a carwash really merit that much screaming?

I know it's still early, but so far I prefer the Juniors version of the show because they have eliminated a lot of the crap I hate about the regular version of the show. But I hate that they told the kids to get dressed up just so they could fake them out about going to the car wash (and this put a lot of the girls at a disadvantage because they were in heels). And while I understand giving them time limits when choosing their materials whether it's at Mood or at the car wash, I hate when they make them do one of those hysterical grabbing free for alls for a few minutes.

I like that the judges are being gentler with the contestants since they're so young, but I liked that when Bridget wasn't very positive about the unconventional materials, Tim said, "But you've seen the show before, right? And you know that we do this every year, right?" I wish he would say that to the designers on regular PR.

Although I have no doubt that these teenagers are competitive and want to win, I really liked that Maya was so unconcerned about using the same material as Zachary. You know on PR: Adult, the designers get so bitchy in the same situation.

Omigawd, you guys, I felt so old when Ysabel said she didn't know what Gilligan's Island is and then guessed that maybe it's a classy chic island. I have no idea how she was able to look at that Big Bird bikini and that wrinkled up vinyl skirt and think that looked classy or chic.

One of the dangers of the unconventional challenge is ending up with a bunch of looks that are just muslin with crap glued to it (which was the same problem with the "surprise" challenge on Threads).

One thing I like about the unconventional challenge on PR: Adult is that the list all the materials used as each model goes down the runway.

I still don't like the host. She sounds like she's talking to 5 year olds, not teenagers.

I didn't like the neckline on Zachary's top, but I really liked the way he used the flattened pinwheel material. The skirt was flouncy and fun.

I liked Petyie's top a lot more than I liked her skirt. The way she used the blue mop strings on the top made an interesting pattern/textile, but the skirt looked like exactly what it was: a bunch of strings glued to muslin.

Victoria's black dress looked better from a distance. In the closer shots, it looked like the material was too stiff to be manipulated the way she wanted.

Ysabel's looked like exactly what it was: a bunch of plastic cobbled together to make a skirt. I thought the bikini top was tacky in theory and even worse with that yellow muppet material. But I do give her credit for realizing the back of the skirt was too short and coming up with a solution for it (unlike the adult designers who just send their models down the runway with their asses barely covered).

I liked the mosaic effect Bridget did on her top which was an interesting way to use her unconventional materials. But the skirt was a mess. It looked like plastic bags layered on top of each other. At least she alternated the colors so that it looked a little interesting.

I loved Maya's skirt. It had such great movement when her model was walking. As much as I liked Zachary flattening the pinwheels for his bodice, the way that Maya kept them folded up really caught the light. The top was very basic, but I think that was a good choice because most things would be too much in combination with that skirt. The black top combined with the shiny pinwheel skirt looked more sophisticated.

Matt's skirt was terrible. He just glue gunned his poor model into black tubing and then she could barely walk. And you know she couldn't sit down backstage either. From what I could see of the top, it was not very flattering. The red part on her chest ended up making her breasts look small and weird.

Jaxson's fringe shorts looked good on the runway. I knew they would because that metallic material is awesome under bright lights. The top made of purple hosing was nothing to write home about, but the color went well with the shorts. Extra points to him for making shirts instead of a skirt.

Zach's dress was really nice. I loved the A-line silhouette. I wasn't crazy about the see through top but from a distance it looked great. I liked his use of the mosaic pattern on the front.

I did not like Samantha's muppet dress. It made the model look a mile wide (when she clearly is not) and there was no shape to it. She looked like she was wearing a giant blue rectangle. I didn't like the color blocking on the back either. The material was so thick that her model looked like someone had stapled three rugs together. I didn't like the host saying she didn't like the colors. It's not like any of the designers had much choice.

I liked Jesse's metallic outfit. I liked that from a distance, the plastic keychains looked like a cool fringe. Adding piping to create shape was great too. It was obvious that he put a lot of thought into this.

I was surprised that Zachary won because the judges seemed unanimously in love with Jesse's design.

I would have been fine with either Matt or Ysabel going home because both of their designs were terrible AND terribly executed.

Overall, too many crop top/skirt combinations this week but I am willing to concede that it may have been due in part to the unconventional materials.

For several seasons, I have not understood a majority of the choices the judges made on regular Project Runway. They praise hideous poorly made garments and ignore tasteful or interesting designs. Often I'm left wondering if they have the ugly designer version of rose colored glasses (I miss the days of Tim's vlogs when he repeatedly lamented the judges for smoking crack). But so far this season (which I know is only two episodes but still!), I have agreed with most of the judges' comments.

Matt is basically is like some unholy combo of Jenny Humphrey from Gossip Girl plus a Miley Cyrus-esque hairdo run through a Lady Gaga tumblr page.

Heh, except Matt can afford Louboutins and Jenny Humphrey would have to paint the bottoms of her Payless shoes red.

That boy who runs to hug everybody whether they win or lose! Can I please adopt him?

Hilariously, that was the same kid who mocked Maya for helping Jaxson because "this is a competition." Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Hannah has a really funny laugh that kind of trails off, like a nervous thing.  I have a weird laugh too, so I don't mind it, but it is funny.

Again I really loved what Jesse created.  Kind of evoked this for me:

jesse.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Is Aube one of the models again? I thought maybe I saw her. Also there seems to be either greater use of the screen for models to change behind or greater camera time for it. Is that for more delicate sensibilities?

Is Aube one of the models again? I thought maybe I saw her. Also there seems to be either greater use of the screen for models to change behind or greater camera time for it. Is that for more delicate sensibilities?

I noticed that as well and I assume they are trying to limit the amount of nudity around minors. Even if it were legal, I don't think the show would like the negative publicity of semi nude photos of women around children.

Sigh. Me too. I knew Matt's was worse, and I knew he would stay. He's a more colorful character than Ysabel, and clearly not averse to stepping into the snarky/mean girl role ("my strategy is to take everything so no one else gets it"). He may have been joking, but somehow I doubt. 

The kids are all really cute, though. I like teens even when they're being over the top teen-ish, I find them amusing.  Everything is So Dramatic! So Important! So I am looking forward to a fun season! 

And we can accept So Dramatic from this age group, whereas with the older designers it really wears thin fast.  It belongs in hormone-ridden teens, not adults.

• Love 1

In Tim's interview, he mentioned that the "mean girl" was the only girl there that was homeschooled, but I don't know which one that is.  I couldn't tell from their PR bios.

I think I'd find Matt annoying if he were able to keep up the bitchy-cutthroat queen facade, in the mold of that overly-tan guy from Anya's season.  He can't so far, though, and I'm interested to see how he develops this season. I feel like he'll either refine it or realize it doesn't quite fit who he is.

When he was on the "Threads" version, he was a pretty nice kid.  His downfall was that his primary competition was an incredibly sweet, gracious and talented young lady named Brianna.  Raised by a single mom, she had never had any new fabric for her designs, just thrift store stuff to use.  She made everybody cry with her appreciation.  This was just last year, so he's probably just "trying on" the persona.  

• Love 2

I think Ysabel was the right call to go home, but I loved seeing her connect with other designers. I think knowing there are others out there like her and doing what she's doing at her age were huge things for her. She found her people!

These designers are all so talented, way more so than the adult designers of late.

• Love 1

I too am enjoying this quite a bit.  I have watched the past few seasons of PR with my now 12 year old daughter, so this was obviously a perfect fit.

I love that Matt's androgyny is so perfectly fine-tuned that he could be a cute boy or girl--I wasn't sure which for a while.

Jaxson and Zach make me smile every time they appear on screen.

I was initially amused by what a stereotypical California beach girl Peytie seemed to be, but I can't really snark about her because she seems so genuinely nice, and talented.

My absolute favorite, though, is predictable to anyone who knows me: Samantha, the hip NYC girl.

Looking forward to seeing how the season plays out.

• Love 1

Usually skip anything labeled junior or kids...but on a whim watched this and was really taken with the designers and even the judges. As others have noted, it reminds me of the old PR...lots of time showing the designers working, minus the hair/makeup, the "thoughtful" accessories wall, and endless shots of their dorm rooms.

Christian Siriano is a favorite, and his critiques are on target, but softened, which is really nice. And the editor from 17 is very astute. And Kelly Osborne surprises by asking to see the backs of the designs and kudos to all of the judges for noting the finish and the detail work. In a first in a long time, I agree with the judges. I give them credit for the sensitivity with which they deliver straightforward criticism. And Tim Gunn is actively mentoring, just like the old days.

I am liking this.

These are talented designers, and a pleasure to watch.

I went and found this show on Amazon after reading so many positive comments about it in other PR threads. I love it so far! Honestly, I teared up a little when the girl who got sent home said the worst thing about leaving was that she would miss the other designers, because at home she's alone in her room designing. It's adorable how the contestants are so silly over things like going to a car wash but so mature in their work ethic and ability to accept criticism. Good show.

• Love 1