Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Flicker

• Start Topic

Absolutely nothing tragic about the beautiful couple being trapped together.  They're in love, right?  They had rats to eat.

Villains in old movies would make sure that their victims didn't have anything that could be used as tools to get through the wall. That didn't happen here; if the couple had tried to escape, they could have been out a long time ago, so they must not have tried.

• Love 5

I actually loved Gaga in this - the fact that she's essentially a "fraud" makes all of her acting earlier in the season make more sense.  She's not a Countess, she's the daughter of a plumber from Bensonhurst, "playing" at being a Countess.  Possibly my favorite episode of the season, and 3 cheers to Even Peters for having so much fun as March.

I expect we will have no resolution or explanation of why she's called the Countess.

Is no one going to address the fact that Ryan Murphy said that all the seasons connect somehow and the estate agent from murder house, got killed in the hotel this episode?!

I swear it seemed to me like that was an 'easy out' scene after Ryan Murphy slapped his own forehead with an 'oh, YEAH, i said these were connected. Let's throw someone in so we can kill them and I don't get called Liar Liar Pants on Fire again.'

• Love 3

I didn't make the connection that the realtor was the same as in Murder House. I think Christine Estabrook has had a cameo in all five seasons so I just figured she was playing another part here. Doh!

I'm truly enjoying Hotel much more than either Coven or Freak Show, and I think part of the reason is actually because of the absence of Jessica Lange. I think the past two seasons the showboating she did just didn't work anymore and they sort of bent over backwards trying to give her scenery to chew. This season isn't really catering to any one particular character except for maybe The Countess and in an odd way GaGa's low-key, moderated performance works to the show's advantage. I really can't see Lange playing this part, she'd be too over the top. (I could see her playing Sally in a heartbeat though.)

I thought the whole backstory with Rudy Valentino was inspired but it was kind of an odd choice to have Finn Whitrock play him after establishing him as Tristan. They haven't really tried that with any of their ensemble in seasons past.

Evan Peters was MVP again in this episode. The line about sending him some steaks was hilarious. Everything pretty much worked for me in this one. The story is so much more cohesive than the past couple seasons.

• Love 5

Soap Operas by necessity ignore plots for chunks of time because they would air 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Actors needed a physical "break". Ditto the ridiculous storylines that ignore coherence and could switch 180 degrees on a dime.

When Murphy has only 13 episodes and ignores major plots ( as it appears might happen with the vampire children let loose in LA) it's more lazy half assed storytelling then some love of a genre.

I wonder if the show would be better served if each season was only ten episodes. There's no need for fillers and it keeps the storyline sharp and tight. It seems to work well for HBO and Showtime series.

I expect we will have no resolution or explanation of why she's called the Countess.

I swear it seemed to me like that was an 'easy out' scene after Ryan Murphy slapped his own forehead with an 'oh, YEAH, i said these were connected. Let's throw someone in so we can kill them and I don't get called Liar Liar Pants on Fire again.'

100% agree with both your points!

This is my favorite episode so far of this season. I don't know why people criticize Lady Gaga's acting? I'm pretty sure she knows that she's not going to be the next Meryl Strep. This show is just one really long Lady Gaga music video - not Sophie's Choice.

My fave so far too. So much better than the serial killer dinner party episode. I loved the 20s costumes.

I'm in the that apparent minority that doesn't like March. I just find him annoying with that campy, ridiculous accent. Glad Finn Wittrock is back.

• Love 5

Chiming in on the Evan Peters Love Brigade -- I've liked him in every series of AHS and I really like him the most in this one. Love the accent, love March, just so much fun.

Oh me too, me too!!!!! This show needs more March! Evan Peters is knocking it out of the ballpark, and the accent is old Hollywood, not corny. It was the really the way they spoke back then.

• Love 4

Ok, I liked this episode because of - mostly - stylistic elements. [i'm shallow like the Countess, Valentino, and Natascha I guess.] While Gaga's acting abilities were really stretched this time, she was up against Finn and his ridiculous accent so...that helped? Also, her costumes were amazing - she must have loved filming in all those beautiful ensembles.

And - I say this as a straight woman - dat ass. Has Gaga always been so shapely? Or did she work out a lot to film this show? In any case, lots of really nice butts on display this season.

The three women at Valentino's crypt - I didn't see them listed on IMDB, but the middle one looked like Grace from Scream Queens to me. Possible because it's another Murphy show?

• Love 2

Peters' performance as March is second only to Angela Bassett's awesome introduction as far as I'm concerned.

As for Gaga, I would imagine seeing Taylor Kinney naked every night would really ramp up one's commitment to getting in shape.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 5

I'm wondering why they had to introduce the character of Tristan at all. Finn could have just played Valentino and it would have made more sense to me. Liz Taylor could have fallen in love with someone else (Matt Bomer's character?). The episode was just OK to me. I find it hard to care about so many different characters and story lines. While they all do have a connection of sorts with the hotel, the hotel itself really doesn't have much to do with a lot of the characters. If all of the stories were tied in Mr. March it would make sense because he build the hotel.  But really, all of the stories tie into the Countess so it could really be anywhere.

• Love 3

Villains in old movies would make sure that their victims didn't have anything that could be used as tools to get through the wall. That didn't happen here; if the couple had tried to escape, they could have been out a long time ago, so they must not have tried.

Last time I looked, no vampire lore had vampires breaking through 3 inches of solid steel and then a wall of brick to boost.

• Love 10
I'm eager to see the 'outbreak' or whatever happens because of the kids at the school - they can't possibly leave that hanging, right?

Hahahahahahahaha! Oh, my sweet summer child.

I liked this one because it stuck to two stories and actually carried them forward instead of just tossing random crumbs around like it was feeding pigeons (vampire pigeons.) I really don't care about the Ten Commandments Killzzzzz...., it's too late for that, but I will say the actor is committed to pretending to care about it. And the actress playing the vamp retort girl was great too--I was genuinely intrigued by how she ever met the TC killer (whether it's John or somebody else) and why she "has" to help him, why she clearly there to lure John back to the Cortez, etc. Didn't the Countess notice one of her filters was missing? Did Alex sneak her out in some kind of bizarre long con, or what? 

Poor Gaga. She was fine playing this little dazzled dope from Bensonhurst, and present day "smooth as cream" no emotions Countess, but when she was supposed to show genuine emotion? She'd just....her voice went all squawky, like a pelican's. Actual nice move on March's part; he clearly had no idea that Val and his wife were vamps when he sealed them up in the hotel, he was just pissy and jealous. I presume the Countess told him as some point since he's obviously noticed she doesn't age or die but enjoyed keeping that juicy little secret. And we STILL don't know who the father of her baby is! 

I enjoyed Kathy Bates and Mare Winningham being onscreen for one minute each and just acting rings around the rest of the cast.

Evan Peters is just KILLING IT (so to speak) and I think it's because he fiiiiinally does not have to play any version of angsty mopey Young Werther-lite crap. March loves to kill, revels and relishes and adores it, and it's a lot of fun to play a no regrets guy! Peters is just having a ball. And he got to grope a naked Lady Gaga, so I don't think he honestly is going to ask for much more from this life.

• Love 2
but a note delivered by the director from Rudolph inviting Elizabeth to dine with him makes her think otherwise.

That note, by the way, directed Bethy to go to The Garden of Allah, which is a real hotel. It appears in the book Chocolates For Breakfast as the home base of the main character's wound up actress mother.

I'm wondering why they had to introduce the character of Tristan at all. Finn could have just played Valentino and it would have made more sense to me. Liz Taylor could have fallen in love with someone else (Matt Bomer's character?).

I might be reading into this more than was intended, but it made sense to me why she suddenly dropped Donovan upon seeing Tristan in that fashion show, and why there was no way in hell she was going to lose her "Valentino" again to Liz, even if he was a dumbed down version of the original. But, then again, she was just as spiteful killing Raquel's (hmm, I think I got that name wrong) boyfriend, so who knows.

• Love 4

maddingcrowd

I'm wondering why they had to introduce the character of Tristan at all. Finn could have just played Valentino and it would have made more sense to me.

Except to explain why she tossed over her boyfriend Matt Bomer for a "stupid model" (who isn't, after all, so stupid.)  She told Bomer it was because the only thing she gets off on anymore is heartache --- which I found interesting but not quite good enough.

This answered that nagging question for me.  Tristan, the "stupid model" looked just like Valentino if he had been available (and not locked up in a hallway) in the 1980s.

• Love 1

JenE4, sorry I didn't see you beat me to the explanation that also works for me.

I mentioned somewhere else that I was confused by the Countess' reactions in both situations (Ramona's boyfriend versus Tristan's girlfriend) other than in the former, she was genuinely betrayed and not consulted beforehand and killed the boyfriend.  Whereas, in Tristan's case, both he and Liz made wonderful, heartfelt pleas to the Countess and then she killed HER lover (iow, to parallel, she should have killed the interloper, Liz.)

Which tells me she just seriously wanted to hurt Liz. 

That just doesn't compute for me.  It makes the character inconsistent, crazy, and really fundamentally demented.  I'm not sure Murphy means to say that.

ETA:  A little personal aside -- my very elegant and overwhelming Welsh grandmother who was born in 1890, had an 8x10 glossy of Valentino in her personal effects.  We found it after she had passed away in 1977.  She was utterly smitten by him.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2
"Who's the lucky fellow? I'd like to send him some steaks."   "Just a Hobo"  Mr.March had some great lines.  Evan continues to be a blast to watch.

He is fabulous this time! I never had much of an opinion on him before but I love, love, love him this season.

Even Peters however is delightful as Mr. Marsh.

Haha, I made almost this exact post on FB last night, right down to the word "delightful"!

I found it odd that people fell so easily in love with Gaga when she wasn't that pretty.

Reminds me of that Party of Five spinoff way back when, in which every male in NYC instantly fell in love with Jennifer Love Hewitt at first glance. Ugh. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Ya know?  I was taken aback by the tango, too.  I have no problem with lovers tangoing because -- HOT.  Or the spread of the tango to Hollywood in the 1920s.  Or, even, a wanna-be-starlet knowing how to do it.  

My issue was that Wittrock had that ridiculous Italian (?) accent and then they swept into a decidedly South American dance.

It gave me geographical whiplash.

Solid backstory for the Countess. Gaga's acting isn't amazing but she's been fairly consistent so far and she did well enough with an episode that heavily focused on her.

Having Wittrock playing Rudolph is a nice way of keeping him on the show and the character along with Natacha are intriguing enough too.

The Countess and March being married, I think everyone saw coming but it was done well enough.

Liked the plot with John/Wren to break up the main story but the idea of Will still marrying the Countess annoys me to no end, 7/10

Loved the 20s stuff cause, well, I love the 20s. I'm always a bit iffy on shows like this using real people in history but...yeah, whatever. I suppose they thought it was cool or we wouldn't care if it was someone we'd never heard of. That accent though....my ears are still weeping. And that is why they shouldn't have tried to do Valentino. The actor could NOT pull it off. Though he did make Gaga look better by comparison.

I zoned out every time idiot cop was on though I did like Wren.

Overall, this ep gets incredible props for style but still the storyline goes from silly to ridiculous.

Where the hell is Ramona!!?!?!? I miss her.

Is there irony that the whole raison d'etre for Valentino wanting immortality physically was because the talkies were the future and he knew his voice was awful -- and then, Finn Wittrock is taking no end of grief about his Valentino accent?

LOL

• Love 3

My issue was that Wittrock had that ridiculous Italian (?) accent and then they swept into a decidedly South American dance.

It gave me geographical whiplash.

This is  a leap that I don't think Murphy made but, lots of Italians emigrated to Argentina, so there's this interesting confluence of culture.  I am Italian, but my surname is  pretty common in Latin America, so people often ask me where I'm from.

He is fabulous this time! I never had much of an opinion on him before but I love, love, love him this season.

Haha, I made almost this exact post on FB last night, right down to the word "delightful"!

Reminds me of that Party of Five spinoff way back when, in which every male in NYC instantly fell in love with Jennifer Love Hewitt at first glance. Ugh. 

No one was looking at her face.

I didn't think much of Peters in the first three seasons, but he impressed me in Freakshow and this season he's holding his own with actors who have Emmy nominations, wins, and Oscars to their credit.

• Love 1

A dual role for Finn Wittrock, and I thought he did a great job as Valentino.  Evan Peters, yes, he's terrific.  And March is a great character.  This season is becoming one of my favorites.  AHS is like a repertory theater, it's a showcase for actors who can act.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

I think I've finally learned to appreciate this show for what it is.

Lots of pretty cool sets/costumes, with even some stellar acting thrown it.   But as far as the plot/writing aspect ?  It's always so BAD, scattered and non-sensical.  (why can't i spell that damn word?)      Anyways, I'm learning to just ignore the plot and enjoy the "pretty."  

I thought Valentino & whatshername were zombies, not vamps.   But what do I know?  Heh.

I actually quite enjoyed this episode as well. I liked the Countess's backstory reveal, including who her "true love" was and that she was married to James March. Lady Gaga's acting is uneven, as she was good in some scenes but totally lacking in emotion in others. Even Peters is as usual a joy to watch in the role of March, and I Ioved the 1920s costumes and sets.

The John Lowe / Ten Commandments killer stuff was boring. BTW is Wren played by the same actress who plays Scarlett? They look so much alike! I think Lowe (or his evil twin) is definitely the killer.

How did a girl from Bensonhurst learn the Tango?

The movies, probably. Going out dancing was a very common pastime during that time period (the flappers, etc.) and if she's trying to be in pictures she'd learn every dance she could to be more hireable.

• Love 4

I thought this was a terrible episode. To whatever extent it could be redeemed, it was only by Evan Peters/ March.

I know I'm repeating people, but that accent was terrible. At first, I thought it was Spanish, then later Russian. But at no time was it Italian. Nor was his spoken phrase any kind of Italian. I would not have noticed a year ago, but I'm surrounded by Italian all day long and it never, ever sounds like that from anyone who can actually speak the language. That took me completely out of the Valentino story.

Whenever he wasn't making me want to scream with that, I was just bored. The scenes in the mental hospital were laughable. If you're going to be the only guard, you should probably look up when you hear a door close.

• Love 2

Even though reality is not a major priority for this series (or even a minor one?), Valentino was known to be a very fine dancer, and did an excellent tango. They even do a shout out in Billy Wilder's classic "Sunset Boulevard" when Norma Desmond notes that Valentino said there was nothing for the tango like tile. (I'm paraphrasing).

John's such a sad and victimized character that I feel sorry for Wes Bentley, who shows a lot of wit and charm in other roles. He may, in fact, be the Ten Commandments Killer, but somehow I feel for him anyway.

Evan Peters continues to make me wonder why I never noticed how good he is before this season.

• Love 5

I found it odd that people fell so easily in love with Gaga when she wasn't that pretty.

She's very striking if not conventionally pretty, and she oozes self confidence and sexuality. I fully accept the idea that people are naturally drawn to her. Plus the whole vampire thing . . . they seem to have a special kind of allure.

Even Peters impressed me as Trevor, or whatever the Columbine character's name was.

Tate, in Season 1; Kit, in Season 2. I thought he was excellent in both seasons. He didn't have much to do in Coven which was a complete waste of his talent, and Freak Show was just so badly written he really failed to shine there too. I think he's awesome in Hotel. probably my favorite character he's played.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

Is no one going to address the fact that Ryan Murphy said that all the seasons connect somehow and the estate agent from murder house, got killed in the hotel this episode?!

I think as others have suggested, that we're "addressing" it with all the gravitas such a gesture from Ryan Murphy deserves; namely, there's zero guarantee that he'll do even as well as the Saw folks did with continuity of their mythology.  It's a nice little touch, but it's not like it took him a lot of work.

I'll second that. She has screen presence for days - and that's 90% of the battle. Also everything about her character pre-transformation to vamp was clearly differentiated from the countess as she is in 2015. The voice, inflections and body carriage were completely different. For her first crack at acting - she's been pretty successful so far.

I agree, I was surprised how good she was.  At least, she was 50% not-bad, they were clearly new-to-us and pleasantly surprising facial expressions.  

How did a girl from Bensonhurst learn the Tango?

I thought everybody danced ballroom in those days and it was just understood, including, quite possibly, a good deal of our grandparents.  Especially ones of European emigrated descent, and actors who wanted to be actors.  Either she paid for her own dance lessons because she wanted to be more marketable, or if she was high up in the food chain, the studio system would have paid.

• Love 1

I was so confused for most of this episode. At first I didn't even realize that Finn was playing a completely different character than Tristan and couldn't figure out how Tristan was alive in the 1920s. I don't watch old movies so I have absolutely no idea who Valentino is and it took me at least ten minutes to realize that Gaga was the actually women with Valentino dancing horribly. Yes, I'm feeling dense this evening.

John and Wren's story line had me scratching my head too. How did she get caught? If John is a patient in the hospital, why is he allowed to roam around freely?

Needless to say this was my least favorite episode of this season. However, I thought Gaga's acting was just fine. I'm liking her more and more as the season goes on.

She's very striking if not conventionally pretty, and she oozes self confidence and sexuality. I fully accept the idea that people are naturally drawn to her. Plus the whole vampire thing . . . they seem to have a special kind of allure.

Have you seen Gaga in that Barnes and Noble commercial with Tony Bennett? She looks gorgeous!

• Love 8

grumpypanda, a quick Google search will tell you who Rudolph Valentino was.  Here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_Valentino (Notice, in that thumbnail, Finn Witrock really does look like him.  I'm not the best authority because I suck at facial recognition but WOW does Witrock favor him.  I bet that's where Murphy got the idea.)

ANYway, Valentino was really the most adored "pinup" male actor of the silent film era in the US.  His most famous film was "The Sheik".  Women swooned for him.  As I mentioned, we found an 8x10 glossy photo of him in my Grandmother's effects after her death in 1977.  She was very fancy and elegant and even SHE fell under his sway.

Today, women swoon over a broader spectrum of men but I think, maybe, George Clooney is a pale comparison?  Brad Pitt?  For looks and seduction power, maybe Idris Elba -- but not in common notoriety.  Someday Elba might reach that level but not yet.  There just weren't that many to choose from in the 1920s and the media was very different from today -- it reached far less people.

Clara Bow was the "It" Girl of 1927.  That was her nickname, "The It Girl", because she had "it".  So if you ever hear someone mention a celebrity has "it" that's what they are referring to.  Modern people with "it"?  Princess Diana, John Kennedy, Jr., Marylin Monroe, (arguably) Kim Kardashian.  These are people who have buckets of charisma but do nothing particularly productive for society.  In Diana's case, it was marriage to a prince that placed her in the limelight, for young Kennedy it was his family and he died young, for Marylin Monroe it was acting (like Clara Bow and Valentino), for Kim Kardashian it's.....porn?  I dunno.  That's why I say she arguably has "it" because....I'm not sure what launched her into the media.  Porn.  Or ... um, yeah.  

*ETA:  Diana went ON to be a productive member of society, to be sure.  I'm not slighting her.  JFK, Jr. died before he could get much beyond George Magazine to do public good, broadly speaking. He was the Assistant DA in NYC.  (I liked George Magazine.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Capptanne- Yes, Finn really does favor him. Both are gorgeous men! I've actually heard the name Rudolph Valentino but I had no idea who he was. When I hear the name Valentino I automatically think of the fashion designer.

I still think using the same actor for both parts was a little confusing at first but anything that keeps my delicious tv boyfriend Finn Wittrock on my screen is a win for me.

• Love 2

I knew a fair amount about Valentino because there is a chapter about him in the Robert Greene book "The Art of Seduction" (which is a great read, by the way). It has chapters on different types of seducers, and Valentino is in the chapter for "The Dandy." Interesting connection to Finn's character in Freak Show, too.

Here's the best picture I could find of Valentino without any makeup on. What modern actor resembles him the most?

http://www.altfg.com/film/wp-content/uploads/images/moran-of-the-lady-letty-valentino.jpgmoran-of-the-lady-letty-valentino.jpg

Edited to add. I agree with the other that did realize Lady gaga was supposed to portray a scared look and were appreciative of Kathy Bates line letting us know she was indeed supposed to be scared.....compared to the excellent acting of Mare Winningham/ Miss Evers who was on screen for 2 seconds and portrayed a jealous broken hearted expression during Mr. Marches wedding. Everyone could tell what she was thinking just by the look on her face. That is great acting.

Edited by aurora296
  • Love 2

I am the WORST at facial recognition but I think that looks a lot like Finn Witrock.  Doesn't it?  (The one on Wikipedia is the one that caught my eye.)

ETA:  For the record, neither man -- just to look at -- does much for me.  Although Valentino has an "it" that Witrock doesn't.  And Witrock shouldn't feel bad about that; Valentino was a once in a long, long, long time beauty.  

I couldn't stand Witrock as Dandy last season.  I wanted him and that character off my screen.  Dandy annoyed to no end and I didn't like Witrock's performance.  So, Internet, please don't think, "Then Witrock did a great job!  You weren't supposed to like Dandy!" because that is not the point.  I loathed both the character and the actor's performance.  

Edited by Captanne

The movies, probably. Going out dancing was a very common pastime during that time period (the flappers, etc.) and if she's trying to be in pictures she'd learn every dance she could to be more hireable.

The Tango was fairly new in the 1920s, too, and Tango Orange was a huge Art Deco color, so I can see where a younger person, especially an actress would know how to tango. We think of Tango now as ballroom only, but a lot of those ballroom dances were more widespread dances then (tango, foxtrot, etc.)

I know I'm repeating people, but that accent was terrible. At first, I thought it was Spanish, then later Russian. But at no time was it Italian. Nor was his spoken phrase any kind of Italian. I would not have noticed a year ago, but I'm surrounded by Italian all day long and it never, ever sounds like that from anyone who can actually speak the language. That took me completely out of the Valentino story.

Yeah, that accent was just Generic, Not British, European Smash Up Accent. I'm 3/4 Italian, and my husband's family is straight up Sicilian. I know anyone on my side, during my lifetime, spoke Medigan (American influenced) Italian, but my husband still has a lot of relatives who speak straight up Sicilian. I can understand most things, and he can converse fluently in Sicilian and read and write basic Text Book Italian. Anyway..........I have no idea what Finn Witrock was trying to accomplish with that accent, or if they didn't think he needed any help, but seriously, that was Count Chocula sounding.

Here's the best picture I could find of Valentino without any makeup on. What modern actor resembles him the most?

http://www.altfg.com/film/wp-content/uploads/images/moran-of-the-lady-letty-valentino.jpgmoran-of-the-lady-letty-valentino.jpg

Edited to add. I agree with the other that did realize Lady gaga was supposed to portray a scared look and were appreciative of Kathy Bates line letting us know she was indeed supposed to be scared.....compared to the excellent acting of Mare Winningham/ Miss Evers who was on screen for 2 seconds and portrayed a jealous broken hearted expression during Mr. Marches wedding. Everyone could tell what she was thinking just by the look on her face. That is great acting.

That reminded me of Megan on Mad Men, when every scene she appeared in had to be set up with "you're SOOOO beautiful," "you SOOOOO talented," "everyone LOVES YOU," "we wish we had your charisma," to convince us she wasn't the most deadpan, expressionless actress on the series.

• Love 3