Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Ava

• Start Topic

Terry leaves Jake in charge of entertaining his pregnant wife, Sharon, while he and Rosa head to Rikers to learn more about the Douglass Street murders. But when Sharon's water breaks sooner than expected, crisis ensues at the precinct. Meanwhile, due to an internet outage, Amy and Charles must process all the paperwork by hand to avoid the bullpen from overflowing with perps and Holt is forced to confront his ex-boyfriend.

Charles' voice for Tommy Gobbler was just weird as hell (and a showcase of great range by Joe Lo Truglio). Speaking of great voices, Andy doing his Barry White voice.

I love that Sharon thinks Holt reminds her of Ents from LOTR. And she loves LOTR references.

I forgot hearing that Nick Offerman was going to be on the show, so seeing him as Holt's ex was a pleasant surprise.

• Love 1

The "she goes into labor and they can't get to a hospital" story has been done a zillion times on sitcoms, but damned if B99 didn't successfully pull off a new twist (as they often do). 

Several excellent running gags too (I enjoyed Charles being eternally denied the chance to give thanks).

And I think they really have succeeded in rehabilitating Gina for me, bit by bit. She's still still a resistant personality, but not intolerable as she used to be.

I totally believe that Holt's matter-of-factness would freak out an expectant mother.

• Love 7

I think it's been ages since we've seen Flashback Holt, so the return of the stache was a welcome sight.  80s Holt might be my favorite running gag.

I was kind of surprised that Nick Offerman wasn't in there for very much, but I enjoyed the moments they did have.  The idea of those two together at one time with their deadpan voices cracked me up.  And I loved that their break-up involved a wooden duck.  I wonder if the hold wooden thing was a nod towards Nick's real-life love for woodworking (not to mention all the stuff Ron Swanson did in Parks & Rec.)

What I really enjoyed about this episode was that Jake really was doing a good job at trying to keep everything together.  He can obviously be a goofy man-child at times, but he was truly serious about being a good godfather and helping Terry and Sharon out.  That has always been a trait about Jake that I loved and why I enjoy his character over similar ones in other shows.  He may be immature and has an ego, but he truly does care about his friends.  I like that he ended up being right to go against Terry's wishes and Terry not only apologized but allowed him to be the first to see Ava.

That said, I also enjoyed Jake always saying vaginal, even when he didn't need to.  And the Barry White voice was so perfectly bad.  Andy Samberg was on fire in this episode.

I was a little bummed we didn't see much of Amy and Boyle filing paperwork, because that has been one of the pairings that I wish we saw more of (still really liked the Halloween episode they were paired up in way back in season one), but I did crack up over Amy admitting she was briefly attracted to him after he admitted he was powering through hand-cramps.  Amy sure does love efficient paperwork filing!

Don't think I have mentioned it since we haven't seen her too much, but I really enjoy the actress playing Sharon.  She is great at both reacting to everyone else, but even has great lines of her own.  The show really did a good job at casting the main cast's family members like her, Kevin, and Boyle's dad.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 8

Don't think I have mentioned it since we haven't seen her too much, but I really enjoy the actress playing Sharon.  She is great at both reacting to everyone else, but even has great lines of her own.  The show really did a good job at casting the main cast's family members like her, Kevin, and Boyle's dad.

Merrin Dungey. Yeah, she's great. She played Deacon's wife on King of Queens and Jennifer Garner's roommate Francie on Alias. She was recently on Once Upon a Time playing Ursula(!) from The Little Mermaid.

Nick Offerman as Holt's ex was brilliant.

I got to hold my niece for the first time the day after she was born recently and man that's a great feeling.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I don't know if two fingers have ever been so funny.

I was unspoiled for Nick Offerman, so that was a great surprise.

I agree that this show is able to take traditional storylines and make them fresh.

• Love 3

My own inner Comic Book Guy made me not enjoy some of this episode. The whole storyline with Sharon not wanting to go to the hospital was bizarre. She had a C-section with her twins, so she would very, very likely need a C-section for this baby too. Not going to the hospital could result in SERIOUS problems, so I was just kind of worried about her the whole time. Plus almost nobody's water just breaks out of nowhere, with no "warning contractions." I dunno, it was just very wrong.

My own inner Comic Book Guy made me not enjoy some of this episode. The whole storyline with Sharon not wanting to go to the hospital was bizarre. She had a C-section with her twins, so she would very, very likely need a C-section for this baby too. Not going to the hospital could result in SERIOUS problems, so I was just kind of worried about her the whole time. Plus almost nobody's water just breaks out of nowhere, with no "warning contractions." I dunno, it was just very wrong.

VBACs (Vaginal Births After Caesarians) are increasingly common -- although I would expect the mother would still prefer to be in hospital for it.  (I haven't seen the episode but it sounds like Sharon just saved the family like $6k in medical bills by giving birth without medical intervention, so there's a plus.  Oh American medical system... you so crazy!)

VBACs (Vaginal Births After Caesarians) are increasingly common -- although I would expect the mother would still prefer to be in hospital for it.  (I haven't seen the episode but it sounds like Sharon just saved the family like $6k in medical bills by giving birth without medical intervention, so there's a plus.  Oh American medical system... you so crazy!)

Yeah, she would still need a hospital, because if stuff goes wrong they will need that operating room nearby. Sharon did end up going to the hospital so they still spent beaucoup bucks on the medical intervention.

Edited by ClareWalks

I was also unspoiled for Nick Offerman and tend to avoid looking at the guest star credits, so that was a brilliant surprise for me. I wish he'd been in the episode more than he was, but maybe he can turn up again.

Really loved the cold open, how it ended with Boyle having to deliver tragic news to the family while wearing the turkey costume.

My own inner Comic Book Guy made me not enjoy some of this episode. The whole storyline with Sharon not wanting to go to the hospital was bizarre.

Yeah. I have this thing where storylines with parents-to-be being dead set on following their birth plans just really rub me the wrong way - I've seen too many deliveries where complications happen and the birth plan has to be thrown out the window. Couldn't they have had the doula come to the hospital with them? (Okay, no, they couldn't for the purpose of this episode. But still.) Other than that, I do really like Sharon. Loved her appreciation of Jake's Gandalf/doula analogy.

Another favourite moment was Holt obviously being affronted by Sharon not wanting him around. "I don't take it personally. I mean, it's about me and my behaviour specifically and nobody else, not Hitchcock or Scully, but yeah, I'm fine." He was picked out over Hitchcock or Scully. OF COURSE he wasn't fine.

• Love 1

Successful rate of VBAC is 60 to 80% according to MayoClinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/vbac/basics/definition/prc-20020457

Whether a hospital or a non-hospital birth is best is something people tend to feel very strongly about with or without data to back them up, but when I was researching it in the 1980s, the rate of complications was higher for hospital births than home births. I don't know what the statistics are now. Lots of changes in hospital procedures have happened since the 1980s.

Either way, I liked that Peralta took his job seriously, functioned in it well, and maintained one of the things I love about his character, which is that he really doesn't have that "masculine imperative" entitlement crap that most "manboy" characters have, so he never tried to take over and tell Sharon what to do, even when she was basically tired enough to ask his opinion. She had to really lobby him to tell her what he thought, and he only took the reins reluctantly-- not because he wasn't sure of his own position, but because he truly believes she is the one who has the right to make those kinds of choices for herself. I love that about him-- he is the rare character who explicitly and often expresses that his wishes are not important when women decide what they want. He was like this about respecting Amy, also, when he was attracted to her and thought she wasn't interested. It's a small thing, but I like that the show has made a point of it several times.

• Love 21

VBAC success rates are definitely higher than they used to be, but Sharon (and the baby) is in several demographics where it would be least successful. No prior vaginal (STOP SAYING VAGINAL! haha) deliveries, over 40 years old, and having a truly ginormous baby (over 14 lb? Dear god!) come to mind immediately. 14 lb baby? Damn. VBAC or not, she could have bled to death right there in the 99! I was just worried about her the whole episode. Glad it all worked out though. And I agree with everyone who said the actress who plays her does a great job.

Loved how Scully and Hitchcock said they used to get all the paperwork done by "cocaine."

• Love 2

Either way, I liked that Peralta took his job seriously, functioned in it well, and maintained one of the things I love about his character, which is that he really doesn't have that "masculine imperative" entitlement crap that most "manboy" characters have, so he never tried to take over and tell Sharon what to do, even when she was basically tired enough to ask his opinion. She had to really lobby him to tell her what he thought, and he only took the reins reluctantly-- not because he wasn't sure of his own position, but because he truly believes she is the one who has the right to make those kinds of choices for herself. I love that about him-- he is the rare character who explicitly and often expresses that his wishes are not important when women decide what they want. He was like this about respecting Amy, also, when he was attracted to her and thought she wasn't interested. It's a small thing, but I like that the show has made a point of it several times.

My own favourite "Jake respects Amy" bit was when she was trying to keep it "light and breezy" and she said they shouldn't have sex. And you see it on his face that he's disappointed, and I seriously expected him to start begging (abjectly), because that's what tv and the movies have taught me about men.

And all he does is say "cool" and "no doubt" for about twenty times, which is enough to show us that sure, he wants to sleep with Amy, but doesn't think he's entitled to sex just because they're dating now.

In this episode, I kind of loved everyone. I loved that even in the middle of an offended rant, with the fire alarm sounding, Holt still remembered to use proper grammar: " . . . so Sharon doesn't know that it is I who-"

I loved Gina! I can't believe it! And I can't even blame wine ("the alcohol has rendered me a simpleton"), because I don't have any.

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 5

Sorry but I found the whole "I'm not going to a hospital" a bit stupid. So she'd rather have her kid there, in a dirty, far-from-sterile police station?!! And what if something went wrong?

Yes, I know it had to be done or else there wouldn't be a show but really? Funny moments but the premise was lame.

• Love 2

My own favourite "Jake respects Amy" bit was when she was trying to keep it "light and breezy" and she said they shouldn't have sex. And you see it on his face that he's disappointed, and I seriously expected him to start begging (abjectly), because that's what tv and the movies have taught me about men.

And all he does is say "cool" and "no doubt" for about twenty times, which is enough to show us that sure, he wants to sleep with Amy, but doesn't think he's entitled to sex just because they're dating now.

That is a great moment.  My first thought was his "#IStandWithWendy"* comment to Rosa last season.

*He did not use it right.

• Love 2

Loved it. I don't know how many times I had to pause the DVR because I was laughing so hard at what Holt just said or did.

"You look so big, like a mighty truck."

"Oh Sharon, I heard you've gone into labor in our police station. I hope you don't contract an infection."

"I know a lot about childbirth. My ex-boyfriend Frederick was an OB-GYN, and we would often talk about his work… Before he started talking about it with… Dave."

"I make her uncomfortable? I should go confront her about this at length."

"I don't know why you're talking to me. I'm not involved. You made that very clear." (slowly puts gum in mouth and chews)

"Yes, I'd love to help out. Perhaps you'd like me to wear a bomb suit with a opaque visor so Sharon doesn't know it is I who is---"

Just outstanding. I'd completely forgotten that Offerman was going to be on, so I was so excited and happy to see him when the door opened.

I loved Jake and Gina dealing with Sharon. Gina being so afraid and grossed out was very funny. And Jake was just trying so hard.

Sharon: Guys, my water just broke.

Jake: Don't worry about that, we'll just get you another one. Oh, you mean your body water. That's much worse.

Jake: So I spoke with your doily...

Vaginal Gandalf really is a great term for doula.

14 lbs 6 oz for a baby? Poor Sharon.

Amy: I'm already writing dangerously fast. It's smudge city here, Jake! Smudge city!

Charles: The problem is we only have one fax machine. It takes four minutes per page. It's log jam city, Jake! Log jam city!

Loved Terry and the perp crying together. "You're a terrible person, but you're welcome."

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 10

14 lbs 6 oz?  That's bigger than Sinatra! (13.5 # and apparently delivered vaginally *and* breech).

Oh he better have bought his momma several houses when he got famous.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

There was so much to love in this episode. :)

Holt flicking that duck off the bridge with two fingers wins everything. The expression on his face....

Any Holt flashback is welcome, but I am glad that the show is using them sparingly.

Yeah. I have this thing where storylines with parents-to-be being dead set on following their birth plans just really rub me the wrong way - I've seen too many deliveries where complications happen and the birth plan has to be thrown out the window. Couldn't they have had the doula come to the hospital with them? (Okay, no, they couldn't for the purpose of this episode. But still.) Other than that, I do really like Sharon. Loved her appreciation of Jake's Gandalf/doula analogy.

Another favourite moment was Holt obviously being affronted by Sharon not wanting him around. "I don't take it personally. I mean, it's about me and my behaviour specifically and nobody else, not Hitchcock or Scully, but yeah, I'm fine." He was picked out over Hitchcock or Scully. OF COURSE he wasn't fine.

Everything with Holt was, as usual, gold.

I didn't even understand the pregnancy bit, to be honest. The baby wasn't early, right? I mean, 14 fucking pounds ain't no preemie! So, wouldn't the midwife/whatever NOT make plans to be unavailable near their clients' due date? Also, why did Sharon stick around once her water broke? Surely they hadn't planned on having the baby at the precinct, so why didn't she go home??

A million yeses to this. He's a goofball but he's got a good heart, he's a good friend, he genuinely cares about and respects people. And NO attention is drawn to his behaviour by other characters because it *shouldn't* be noteworthy...

Gina cringing away from everything but coming through when needed was great. Her doing the lamaze stuff but using the Channing Tatum visual for her OWN comfort was so Gina, but I laughed. Her needing about 90 minutes to get over the birth plan was hysterical.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 2

It's really hard to believe that anyone would break up with Nick Offerman, "Dave" or not :)

I like the actor who plays Terry's wife a lot.  (Sharon).  I just wish we could have seen Cagney and Lacey welcome their new sister.

"Balloon Boy Grew Up Hot".   It made me Google the Balloon Boy, who is way too young to be 'hot', but is like in some kind of punk band with his brothers I guess.  Not surprised.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2563546/Balloon-boys-parents-insist-not-hoax-five-years-promote-childrens-metal-band.html

possibilities, wish I could like your post one more time.

Jake: So I spoke with your doily...

Jake:  So close.

The biggest surprise laugh for me was Gina finding out what an episiotomy is.

Gina:  I'm gonna need 40 minutes.

I think I was 8 lbs and 6 oz, which was even bigger than my brother, and you guys are making me feel badly for my mother, which I don't like to do :)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

There were way too many holes in that birth plan, even for a sitcom.  Sharon hung around because she was waiting for Terry, but it didn't matter because neither of their doulas were available.  Were they planning on delivering at home, or a birthing center?  There was no reason she and Terry couldn't meet elsewhere.  And what were she and Terry going to do once he did arrive?  Unless Terry was planning on delivering the baby solo, Sharon was heading to the hospital one way or another.  

I'm surprised that Sharon didn't end up delivering at the precinct with Frederick's assistance in pure sitcom fashion, because it certainly looked like it was leaning that way.  But it would have made more sense if the station was on lockdown or something else that actually prevented Sharon from going anywhere.

That wrinkle aside, I loved the episode.  Holt trashing that duck decoy with such abandon (for him), Rosa hauling ass on the motorcycle, etc.  So many great lines ("Bitch, you know I'm out of data!", the "Gandalf" line).  Best part was Sharon interrupting Terry's speech in the end to give a genuine "Thank you" to Jake.  Warmed my heart.

I enjoyed Offerman, but he was underutilized.  So was Amy, even though there was a lot going on.  

And I think they really have succeeded in rehabilitating Gina for me, bit by bit. She's still still a resistant personality, but not intolerable as she used to be.

ITA.  Gina's personality borders on mean at times, but between her trying to hang in there for Sharon's delivery, and pushing Charles to stand up for himself to Holt (about the car) she's really improved in my eyes.

I also loved Rosa's reaction to Sharon's water breaking - "Oh my God!!  Let's go!!"  It's pretty much the reasonable response but it was nice that she expressed absolutely no concern about getting info from the prisoner before leaving.

• Love 1

14 Pounds! I get that all women are different and there are reasons why some women don't want to deliver in a hospital and that they totally have the right to decide what is best for them, but I don't understand why. 14 pounds! Epidurals and pain medication are the greatest inventions of all time and I don't understand the desire to go through hours of pain and tearing and torture without pain meds. Why? Terry has big babies! Why would anyone want to go through that without help. I just don't get it. There's no prize for suffering. It's not like they keep your baby if you get pain meds. 

14 Pounds! I get that all women are different and there are reasons why some women don't want to deliver in a hospital and that they totally have the right to decide what is best for them, but I don't understand why. 14 pounds! Epidurals and pain medication are the greatest inventions of all time and I don't understand the desire to go through hours of pain and tearing and torture without pain meds. Why? Terry has big babies! Why would anyone want to go through that without help. I just don't get it. There's no prize for suffering. It's not like they keep your baby if you get pain meds. 

Well, Sharon did say that with the twins she had a novice give her the epidural and he stabbed her, like, ten times before he got it right. I can imagine that such an experience might sour one on hospitals. But, that said, a 14 pound baby? Fuck that. Stab me 15 times with an epidural if ya gotta, 'cause no way would I push that turkey out without drugs!

• Love 1

Well, Sharon did say that with the twins she had a novice give her the epidural and he stabbed her, like, ten times before he got it right. I can imagine that such an experience might sour one on hospitals. But, that said, a 14 pound baby? Fuck that. Stab me 15 times with an epidural if ya gotta, 'cause no way would I push that turkey out without drugs!

No kidding, especially since they give you a shot of local anesthetic before they put the epidural needle in, so you don't even feel that part. (Although it is a common problem with sitcoms that I swear, it seems like nobody who writes a sitcom has ever even been NEAR a birth.)

No kidding, especially since they give you a shot of local anesthetic before they put the epidural needle in, so you don't even feel that part. (Although it is a common problem with sitcoms that I swear, it seems like nobody who writes a sitcom has ever even been NEAR a birth.)

It wasn't 10 times but they fucked up my sister's epidural and she felt it.

• Love 2

I forgot hearing that Nick Offerman was going to be on the show, so seeing him as Holt's ex was a pleasant surprise.

I'm no fan of P&R (and Swanson is a big part of that), so I think Offerman was used just right.

What I really enjoyed about this episode was that Jake really was doing a good job at trying to keep everything together.  He can obviously be a goofy man-child at times, but he was truly serious about being a good godfather and helping Terry and Sharon out.  That has always been a trait about Jake that I loved and why I enjoy his character over similar ones in other shows.  He may be immature and has an ego, but he truly does care about his friends.  I like that he ended up being right to go against Terry's wishes and Terry not only apologized but allowed him to be the first to see Ava.

The show really did a good job at casting the main cast's family members like her, Kevin, and Boyle's dad.

The first part can't be said enough.  The people who write this show GET IT.

Also cast perfectly: Gina's mom.

Those are pretty standard TV tropes, in my opinion.  This show uses a lot of tropes but make more from them than any other show.

[H]e is the rare character who explicitly and often expresses that his wishes are not important when women decide what they want. He was like this bout respecting Amy, also, when he was attracted to her and thought she wasn't interested. It's a small thing, but I like that the show has made a point of it several times.

This show should be used as a textbook to show that writing this kind of thing doesn't need to be preachy.  Just do it right.

Amy: I'm already writing dangerously fast. It's smudge city here, Jake! Smudge city!

Charles: The problem is we only have one fax machine. It takes four minutes per page. It's log jam city, Jake! Log jam city!

Loved Terry and the perp crying together. "You're a terrible person, but you're welcome."

And then Jake said "We need to be in Calm City!  Calm City!!!!"

Loved how Terry made some comment that sounded like he was going to rough up the prisoner, and then we see him crying about Sharon.  Genius!!!

• Love 3

Loved how Terry made some comment that sounded like he was going to rough up the prisoner, and then we see him crying about Sharon.  Genius!!!

I always love it when this show plays up Terry's massive size and alpha-style look only to turn it right on its head and have him be a total softie/sap.

• Love 4

Plus almost nobody's water just breaks out of nowhere, with no "warning contractions." I dunno, it was just very wrong.

Oh, mine did, for the second baby.  I mean, no warning except the Braxton-Hicks you get towards the end anyway.  Just there it was.  Real contractions didn't begin for a while after that. 

Just watched - loved it. The biggest surprise laugh for me was Gina finding out what an episiotomy is.

That fell flat for me. I don't think the birth plan would have a definition. It would probably just say, "no episiotomy." 

• Love 1

I am real late to the party due to being sick and the holidays but I loved this episode.

I never get tired of seeing back when he had all that hair. My favorite part hands down was that long awkward silence as he took a piece of gum and slowly started chewing. I have no clue how they keep it together to even film this series!

I am real late to the party due to being sick and the holidays but I loved this episode.

I never get tired of seeing back when he had all that hair. My favorite part hands down was that long awkward silence as I took a piece of gum and slowly started chewing. I have no clue how they keep it together to even film this series!

Edited by Texasmom1970

It wasn't 10 times but they fucked up my sister's epidural and she felt it.

same here, it's been almost 12 years, but I still remember the pain! I don't remember how many times he had to try, but too many!   I don't think they ever really got it right, but I guess it was better than nothing.

This episode was fantastic! I loved all the LOTR jokes and Jake with his horrible Berry White imitation. 80's Cpt. Holt continues to be the bomb! I would love an all flashback episode with Cpt. Holt. Rosa continues to be a bad ass and I love it! I was a lil disappointed that the new baby wasn't named after a fictional female cop. I was kind of hoping for a Tonya Joyce(shout out to TJ Hooker) or Dee Dee (the female cop on the 80's cop show Hunter). 

• Love 1

This was a good episode for Jake. He did a good job handling the situation and he was a good friend to Sharon and Terry. Ava is a lovely name and all but I am mighty disappointed that they didn't name the baby Pepper. 

• Love 1

I’m quarantine binging this show under my daughters’ strict orders. She turned me towards parks & rec and the good place so she’s batting 100%. To be fair I made her watch scrubs when she was growing up so she owed me.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Wanda said:

I’m quarantine binging this show under my daughters’ strict orders. She turned me towards parks & rec and the good place so she’s batting 100%. To be fair I made her watch scrubs when she was growing up so she owed me.

Every show you named is stellar.  Welcome to the Nine-Nine!

• Love 2
On 11/23/2015 at 7:35 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I did crack up over Amy admitting she was briefly attracted to him after he admitted he was powering through hand-cramps.  Amy sure does love efficient paperwork filing!

Imagine what might have happened if he'd said he had a binder describing correct filing procedures...