Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

To clarify. I wrote genetic predisposition. The latest research is pretty clear in that they believe these spectrum disorders are epigenetic. Which means you have the predisposition but environmental factors and/or issues like trauma can trigger the expression of the issue. So it's not "inherited" as a given. It's just a certain vulnerability that makes you likely to have issues IF the right trigger is pulled at some point in your life by some other variable.

Thanks for your reply &clarifying. This is not my native language and I was actually struggling to find the right words. I had something like sensitive to disorders at first but that sounded so bad...Hence my attempt to sort of put it into words with 'acquire', Anyway, I meant to say what you obviously put in better words up here, thanks for that!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, steff13 said:

Ha!  I was told to get the same booster as my original shot!  🤣  I got Moderna for all three. 

Curious to hear if you had any side-effects? My first two were Moderna and I'm scheduled for my booster on Friday which will either be Pfizer or another Moderna. I won't find out until I get it there.

I felt pretty miserable after my first Moderna shot and just a little down with a pretty sore arm after my second. Not sure if that was because of the vaccine or the nurse practising her darts skills... 

• Love 6

I had the JNJ shot.  Moderna booster that caused me a sore arm. 
Hubby has had Covid.  We didn’t isolate, but I never caught it.  My son currently has it.  My manager had it, my close coworker had it.  I’ve never caught it, much like I’ve never had strep throat.  
I read an article about the phenomenon of people not catching it despite close family having it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Please restrict any discussion of COVID/vaccination to your personal experience, only. No general statements, links, opinions or "I heard/I read" remarks: only anecdotes personal to you.  

I took a covid test with the results in 2-3 days. No result and it’s been more than 5 days. 🙄

At this point I’m wondering why I even bothered to get tested. I can’t get a booster if I’m positive. Sigh. 

Off to make more soup/tea. 

Have a nice day everyone!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I took a covid test with the results in 2-3 days. No result and it’s been more than 5 days. 🙄

At this point I’m wondering why I even bothered to get tested. I can’t get a booster if I’m positive. Sigh. 

Off to make more soup/tea. 

Have a nice day everyone!

Have you got access to a self-test? That may be a good indicator. 

I was in a similar situation (though not waiting for a booster but something else that was important) and my result didn't come back. In the end my neighbour got me a self-test which she left on the porch.  I did the self-test, which was negative, and typically only 10 minutes later I got the call that I was fine!

• Love 11

My sister posted a pink drink today. I didn't know where to mention this but here, as the one MLM shaming group I'm in on FB is now defunct. It makes me so sad. My sister has struggled with her weight for years and has Graves disease. I have hypothyroidism and am still learning how certain foods affect my disease, so I don't know how plexus works for those with Graves, but I'm guessing it can't be good. I was trying to think of a kind way to warn her (my delivery is pretty brusque even when I'm softening it, and I'm not a medical professional, so I was trying to think of the right words) but then my mom jumped in and warned her about MLMs, and my sister thanked her and mentioned she'd be talking to her doctor about it as well. I feel a little bit better that she's probably not sucked into selling this shit, but she did tag her friend (who I presume is her upline) so I will chime in on the predatory nature of MLMs and hope that this friend of hers sees it and knows she's on notice. My sister is a lovely, wonderful person and I want the best for her, including her health, but I don't want to talk down to her about it.

Ugh, thank you for letting me rant.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

My sister posted a pink drink today. I didn't know where to mention this but here, as the one MLM shaming group I'm in on FB is now defunct. It makes me so sad. My sister has struggled with her weight for years and has Graves disease. I have hypothyroidism and am still learning how certain foods affect my disease, so I don't know how plexus works for those with Graves, but I'm guessing it can't be good. I was trying to think of a kind way to warn her (my delivery is pretty brusque even when I'm softening it, and I'm not a medical professional, so I was trying to think of the right words) but then my mom jumped in and warned her about MLMs, and my sister thanked her and mentioned she'd be talking to her doctor about it as well. I feel a little bit better that she's probably not sucked into selling this shit, but she did tag her friend (who I presume is her upline) so I will chime in on the predatory nature of MLMs and hope that this friend of hers sees it and knows she's on notice. My sister is a lovely, wonderful person and I want the best for her, including her health, but I don't want to talk down to her about it.

Ugh, thank you for letting me rant.

If your sister is more or less house-bound and feels the need to generate some extra income, maybe you could help her think of some alternate ways other than MLMs.

For instance if she has crafting skills, she may be able to create something unique and or useful and sell the product online or on consignment in a local shop.  Sewing, painting, jewelry making???

If she has accounting skills, she may be able to work remotely for a small business or offer her services at tax time for individuals.

You and your mother are so wise to steer her away from MLMs, the outcome with them is rarely good.  Good Luck to her.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Sandy W said:

If your sister is more or less house-bound and feels the need to generate some extra income, maybe you could help her think of some alternate ways other than MLMs.

For instance if she has crafting skills, she may be able to create something unique and or useful and sell the product online or on consignment in a local shop.  Sewing, painting, jewelry making???

If she has accounting skills, she may be able to work remotely for a small business or offer her services at tax time for individuals.

You and your mother are so wise to steer her away from MLMs, the outcome with them is rarely good.  Good Luck to her.

Thank you! She is actually very active: she works full time and has a side business, and has teenagers in sports, and a bunch of hobbies. She stays busy--when I visited last month she worked every day I was there and still managed to see me every evening. She and her spouse aren't rich but seem comfortable. I'm hopeful she just got cornered by a "friend" who sells it and isn't selling it herself, and that her doctor steers her away from it. She's not one of those "doctors don't know anything" people, so I'm hoping reason will prevail.

A few of us chimed in warning her about MLMs and she seems to have taken it in stride. She's a smart woman so I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Love 10
On 1/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, LilyD said:

Curious to hear if you had any side-effects? My first two were Moderna and I'm scheduled for my booster on Friday which will either be Pfizer or another Moderna. I won't find out until I get it there.

I felt pretty miserable after my first Moderna shot and just a little down with a pretty sore arm after my second. Not sure if that was because of the vaccine or the nurse practising her darts skills... 

I had no side effects at all.  But I had COVID in November 2020, and had no symptoms, despite being overweight and asthmatic.  I only tested because I was in contact with someone who was positive. 

• Useful 5
12 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Anyone know how to change the avatar?

Go up to the top right, click your screen name and then My Profile.  The avatar is at the left. Click Profile Photo and change it to the image you want. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Go up to the top right, click your screen name and then My Profile.  The avatar is at the left. Click Profile Photo and change it to the image you want. 

The photos are too big. What a bummer. Thanks for the help.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

How much longer do I have to wait till both the family and show implode? 

I’ve been asking myself that question for the last ten years (at least). 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

I gave up watching the show along time ago and I just read this site and know what is going on with the family. 

Ditto. I find them all to be unwatchable, Kootie's voice makes me physically ill.  I just hang out here for the great postings.  

• Love 7

An extended family member died yesterday of covid. She lived in CA and had been on a vent for weeks.  Another close family friend in NC died with covid last Tuesday. She collapsed pretty quickly and made it to the ER, but coded twice and eventually, couldn’t be revived.    Two more extended family members in VA on vents.  My brothers, BIL and SIL.  One still on vent.  It’s been rough on the families.  I hope the deaths slow down.  

Weather reports predict  possible snow, icy mix, etc. over the weekend in parts of NC.  They say we will get possible snow or ice, cold temps OR maybe not. Prepare by buying plenty of food and supplies or not.  Might be warm…maybe good weather this weekend!  😝🤷‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ In other words….they have no idea! Lol. So, I’m planning on movies and a bottle of wine.  

Iwantcookies, I hope you’re feeling better.  

Can I vent about mask prices? This is getting ridiculous. So they want everyone now to be wearing N95 or KN95 masks (and I understand why) but you know what? You can’t find them anywhere! Everywhere I used to go to find them (Lowes, Home Depot) are sold out. I just ordered a pack of 10 off Amazon for $40 because, luckily, I can afford to. It’s frustrating because I’ve been using these types for over a year—and now everyone else has to—so they’re always gone (and overpriced now).  

If this is somehow mandated, they better be prepared to supply these things because many people won’t be able to find or afford them. Do they think of this stuff before changing guidelines? Do they assume everyone has an Amazon account and can spend a fortune on these things? 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Useful 7
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

An extended family member died yesterday of covid. She lived in CA and had been on a vent for weeks.  Another close family friend in NC died with covid last Tuesday. She collapsed pretty quickly and made it to the ER, but coded twice and eventually, couldn’t be revived.    Two more extended family members in VA on vents.  My brothers, BIL and SIL.  One still on vent.  It’s been rough on the families.  I hope the deaths slow down.  

Weather reports predict  possible snow, icy mix, etc. over the weekend in parts of NC.  They say we will get possible snow or ice, cold temps OR maybe not. Prepare by buying plenty of food and supplies or not.  Might be warm…maybe good weather this weekend!  😝🤷‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ In other words….they have no idea! Lol. So, I’m planning on movies and a bottle of wine.  

Iwantcookies, I hope you’re feeling better.  

SunnyBebe, I'm so very sorry you're going through so much, and dealing with so much loss. It's heartbreaking to read. Many hugs for you and your family.

Our weather is supposed to be the same as yours! The radar looks like we'll have mostly rain, while all around our little patch of land will have snow. We might get a little bit, or possibly not. Mother Nature must be menopausal! I'm planning on movies, too, but will add some knitting.

We're going to the close store today, for the specific cat food our tiny picky cat must have, and a few other essentials. Our stop to shop after husband's PT didn't yield much. It's worrisome to see the shelves so empty again.

TurtlePower, I don't believe they think about the common man at all when they change their guidelines! They don't think about price gouging, scalpers, the supply bottleneck, or anything else they should be considering first. It's very frustrating.

(My friend group has compiled a small list of places to get PPE that we have ordered from, and know that they are valid, and not completely exorbitant with pricing. Not certain if I'm allowed to put that info here?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

SunnyBebe, I'm so very sorry you're going through so much, and dealing with so much loss. It's heartbreaking to read. Many hugs for you and your family.

Our weather is supposed to be the same as yours! The radar looks like we'll have mostly rain, while all around our little patch of land will have snow. We might get a little bit, or possibly not. Mother Nature must be menopausal! I'm planning on movies, too, but will add some knitting.

We're going to the close store today, for the specific cat food our tiny picky cat must have, and a few other essentials. Our stop to shop after husband's PT didn't yield much. It's worrisome to see the shelves so empty again.

TurtlePower, I don't believe they think about the common man at all when they change their guidelines! They don't think about price gouging, scalpers, the supply bottleneck, or anything else they should be considering first. It's very frustrating.

(My friend group has compiled a small list of places to get PPE that we have ordered from, and know that they are valid, and not completely exorbitant with pricing. Not certain if I'm allowed to put that info here?)

If you wouldn't mind, I would suggest that those who are interested can send you a private message to get that list.  For those who don't know how, just click the envelope at the top right of your computer screen.

• Useful 5
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

If you wouldn't mind, I would suggest that those who are interested can send you a private message to get that list.  For those who don't know how, just click the envelope at the top right of your computer screen.

Excellent idea! Anyone who needs reliable sources for masks, feel free to message me❤️

• Love 8

It is a sad day for me.  A dear friend from another forum fell on New Year's Eve. She posted the next day she was OK but felt "beat up". That was her last post. We were worried about her having just lost another member to an untimely death.  

Admin contacted her family and apparently she passed away 3 days later. Cause of death Covid/Pneumonia. I find that odd as she was totally healthy before the fall and vaxxed. I have a bad feeling the  Covid numbers are being manipulated

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

It is a sad day for me.  A dear friend from another forum fell on New Year's Eve. She posted the next day she was OK but felt "beat up". That was her last post. We were worried about her having just lost another member to an untimely death.  

Admin contacted her family and apparently she passed away 3 days later. Cause of death Covid/Pneumonia. I find that odd as she was totally healthy before the fall and vaxxed. I have a bad feeling the  Covid numbers are being manipulated

That’s so sad. I’m so sorry @Gramto6.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I’m so sorry for your loss.  That’s incredibly sad and shocking.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

How terribly sad. My heart goes out to you. 

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I am very sorry 😢.

• Love 4

@SunnyBeBe and @Gramto6, my condolences on your losses.  We hear that Omicron is milder but not so much for older people with conditions even if vaxxed.

Regarding masks, my town distributed NIOSH approved N95 masks and rapid test kits on Friday and we got some.  I am impressed with the quality of the masks although they are the kind with 2 elastic bands that wrap around the head.  I just cut them and convert them to ear loops.  I researched them online and found them reasonably priced for sale by reputable sellers on EBay.  If anyone is interested PM me and I'll send you the links.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Absolom said:

All N95 masks have the over the head bands.  That's part of the specifications.  

Although I've done it, cutting the bands to make ear loops decreases their efficiency.  

I know that's probably true for most people, but not on my head.  I can't keep those headbands from slipping around on my head.  It's just the way my head is shaped plus my hair and the fact that I'm short.  I have tried every which way to get them to work for me and it only gets worse, not better.  When I cut and tie them into loops I get a MUCH tighter, secure fit.  YMMV.

Don't quote me on this because I'm not an expert, but another difference between the N95's and the KN95's is that N95s are rated by NIOSH for dry particles, not medical use, like the FDA ratings for KN95 masks with ear loops.  N95s are rated for filtering construction dust from sawing, sanding, drilling, etc.  But supposedly they provide an even finer grade of filtration than the KN95s that are rated to protect from wet particles carrying germs, not fine dry particles.  It's just because Omicron is so contagious that they're recommending the finer grade of protection offered by the N95s.  From what I've read the difference in protection from a virus standpoint is pretty small.  But again, I'm not an expert and I recommend researching this for the best information.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

64BC4F6E-5315-42FC-AE7B-7E8ADB49F31F.jpeg

81FF4D19-FCA3-466B-9EDD-243E39A166A4.jpeg

Thanks Meri 🍌 🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌

LOL, I had a vivid dream last night about a cute little white cat and then you posted this.  Then I read that dreaming about a white cat could mean something sexual or involving romantic relationships, LOL.  More than coincidence?  😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

LOL, I had a vivid dream last night about a cute little white cat and then you posted this.  Then I read that dreaming about a white cat could mean something sexual or involving romantic relationships, LOL.  More than coincidence?  😉

That’s wild!  I am a big believer in dreams.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I dream of cats a lot… it’s probably because I want a cat 🐱 

• LOL 4
38 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I dream of cats a lot… it’s probably because I want a cat 🐱 

I’m considering a pet, but it’s not practical right now.  I am already spread too thin.  Still, I do think about it.  My niece got a very lovable puppy a few months ago and it’s so tempting.  Its a commitment that I can’t justify right now.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

I just learned of Meatloaf passing.  I'm saddened by this, as I listened to his music all of the time when I was younger.  Bless you, Meatloaf.  Thanks for the music and the memories.  😪

I saw him in concert back in the early 90s, so sad really.

• Love 1