Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Guess I am in the minority but I love winter. I love bundling up and shoveling snow. I love the warm cozy darkness.  I love how beautiful the moon is on a snowy landscape.

Glad I live in the northern climes with the shorter days.

No, I love Winter too, I really dislike the heat and enjoy the cold. As long as my pipes don't freeze, I'm a happy camper with the cold.

• Love 5

I don’t think Kelly recognizes the responsibility of parenting.  Molly already has a special needs child.   I’m not sure he gets it.  

The only good thing I can say is that Ed did introduce me to Malbec wine.  It’s my new favorite.  It’s really good.  

(Wrong thread! 😝 Just realized. Hee hee,)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

People can be really mean and bizarre all over.  Crazy and aggressive driving is off the charts.  I’ve recently tried to do my part in being a good example. I now always offer to let anyone with a couple of items in line go ahead of me in stores.  I’ve done it before, but now make a concerted effort. I’m also asking any seniors or those parked in handicapped spaces, if I can push their cart back to the store.  Everyone is quite grateful. I hope it’s spreading a little kindness. As long as I’m healthy, I’ll keep doing it.  

It's like you're reading my mind here!  The crazy aggressive driving has gotten so out of control in CT that it has made the news since car accidents are up 20% in the past year.  20%!!!  I knew it had to be bad just from what I see out there on the road.  It has gotten so dangerous there's a public service announcement on TV now telling people to slow down and be careful not to hit seniors crossing the street!  My husband says the driving is worse now in CT than in NY, and he should know since he drives up and down between both places all the time.

I too am making a concerted effort to do what I can to counter this trend.  I give my shopping cart to people, especially at Aldi.  They try to give me their quarter and I tell them to keep it.  People are so grateful.  Speaking of the crazy drivers, we had two major accidents last week on the small mountain where I live.  It's a major thoroughfare in the area and when there's a big incident they shut down the entire mountain, causing traffic to tie up in knots all over the area.  I was caught up in that traffic coming home from being out the other day.  I had to go so out of my way it took me an hour plus the usual aggressive drivers were acting like children weaving in and out of traffic and behaving like brats.  I ended up at Aldi exhausted and hungry after I realized I needed a few things.  The man in front of me, who had a cart filled to the brim, offered to let me go in front of him since I had only a few items.  I thanked him and almost cried because I was so demoralized after dealing with all those crazy drivers and he was just the breath of fresh air I needed.  I told him about it and we started talking about the crazy drivers. 

It's scary.  The other day one guy was crawling up my rear end in the right lane on my local main street.  He was trying to go way too fast and got thwarted because the person in the left lane wasn't going fast enough for him.  So he thinks he's going to get in the right lane but soon realizes that I'm there abreast the person in the left lane and not going any faster.  So he goes out of his mind bobbing and weaving between lanes and trying to squeeze past us.  Meanwhile we were probably doing close to 40 mph. which is a little over the speed limit as it is.  So it's not like we were slowpokes.  Then he finally cuts me off almost scraping my car on the way.  Where the hell did he think he was going?  He only got caught up at the next red light with the rest of us.  When I looked at him as he past I thought he was typical of the alienated dirtbag that drives like this.  Then I saw him spit at the car in the left lane that had thwarted him before as it turned left.  Really nice!  We never had behavior quite this bad before recently in my area and it keeps getting worse.  Between drivers like this and the 90+ year old people that probably shouldn't be driving anymore it's getting more and more dangerous all the time.  

8 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

It’s now dark by 5 pm and that makes me so depressed and sleepy. I hate winter.

8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like it to stay as light as possible, as late as possible.  I don’t think I’d like it light 24/7 as in Alaska though.  

I'm with both of you!  I hate the cold and snow.  I never felt this way until I moved up here because it's much worse here even though it's only 100 miles away from NYC.  This is more inland than I've ever lived before so we have more temperature extremes.  Living closer to water the temps. are more moderate and so it snows less and isn't quite as hot in the summer by at least a few degrees.  I miss that a lot.  The ice and snow here can be horrible and the older my husband and I get the less we want to deal with it.  We pay a plow company now to do our plowing.  The driveway is too long plus it has a turn so it's just too much for us to deal with on our own anymore.  

It's weird how in the past few years I've really started to hate the fact that it gets dark out so early when we change the clocks.  And it seems to last forever, right?  Every year there's something on the news about the movement to get rid of the clock change.  I was afraid they wanted standard time all the time but no, this movement wants to put us on Daylight Savings all year round.  Actually, I would like that.  I don't care if it doesn't get light out until 8:00 a.m., which is what would happen where I live because we're so far East in the time zone.  I was always jealous of my friends in Indianapolis because even though it's in the Eastern time zone it doesn't get dark there until an hour later than it does for us.  They used to not even observe Daylight Savings there and that was a nightmare if you had to book travel there and didn't realize that, LOL.

I was reading about the time change issue and one person pointed out that in the early '70s they tried putting us on DST all the time but "people hated it" so they went back to the clock change.  I remember when that happened and I was unhappy that they put us back on the clock change because I liked more daylight after school.  Times have changed since then and I think more people today might like keeping DST all year round.  I've read that several states have passed legislation to make this law. 

BTW, my favorite season used to be Summer but now it's Fall.  I also love Spring.  I like it cool but not ice cold.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm with both of you!  I hate the cold and snow.  I never felt this way until I moved up here because it's much worse here even though it's only 100 miles away from NYC.  This is more inland than I've ever lived before so we have more temperature extremes.  Living closer to water the temps. are more moderate and so it snows less and isn't quite as hot in the summer by at least a few degrees.  I miss that a lot.  The ice and snow here can be horrible and the older my husband and I get the less we want to deal with it.  We pay a plow company now to do our plowing.  The driveway is too long plus it has a turn so it's just too much for us to deal with on our own anymore.  

It's weird how in the past few years I've really started to hate the fact that it gets dark out so early when we change the clocks.  And it seems to last forever, right?  Every year there's something on the news about the movement to get rid of the clock change.  I was afraid they wanted standard time all the time but no, this movement wants to put us on Daylight Savings all year round.  Actually, I would like that.  I don't care if it doesn't get light out until 8:00 a.m., which is what would happen where I live because we're so far East in the time zone.  I was always jealous of my friends in Indianapolis because even though it's in the Eastern time zone it doesn't get dark there until an hour later than it does for us.  They used to not even observe Daylight Savings there and that was a nightmare if you had to book travel there and didn't realize that, LOL.

I was reading about the time change issue and one person pointed out that in the early '70s they tried putting us on DST all the time but "people hated it" so they went back to the clock change.  I remember when that happened and I was unhappy that they put us back on the clock change because I liked more daylight after school.  Times have changed since then and I think more people today might like keeping DST all year round.  I've read that several states have passed legislation to make this law. 

BTW, my favorite season used to be Summer but now it's Fall.  I also love Spring.  I like it cool but not ice cold.

I think the reason some states don't want to change it is because kids have to wait for the bus in the dark, cases of children being hit usually rise.

But I agree, for those few days I'm off every week, I like for it to be daylight longer.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I think the reason some states don't want to change it is because kids have to wait for the bus in the dark, cases of children being hit usually rise.

But I agree, for those few days I'm off every week, I like for it to be daylight longer.

Actually some of the people in states pushing for permanent DST have proposed later start times for schools and have cited studies that support how this would benefit the children for other reasons too including giving them more morning sleep time which experts have suggested would help them quite a bit.  A lot of kids these days stay up too late and are chronically sleep deprived as a result.  And some parents would appreciate having kids get out of school later too.  Back in 1973 when permanent DST was first tried most mothers did not work so this was not appreciated.  I've read a lot of really convincing arguments for permanent DST based on new knowledge that wasn't available almost 50 years ago that is changing people's minds on this subject.  And actually the kids/school argument was never a factor in the creation of DST and changing the clocks twice a year despite what everyone thinks.  I've read over and over again that this is a myth.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

It’s now dark by 5 pm and that makes me so depressed and sleepy. I hate winter.

I hate DST so much, I start to get anxious a couple of weeks before - like a low-level anxiety because in my mind, it means we're all going inside to hibernate and be anti-social and eat lots of carbs until we emerge from our caves in March.  This year, I actually started a countdown journal, lol.  I know that once we've made it to the winter solstice, we're going to get that extra tiny bit of light every night - mentally, it's a big dill for me.  Then it's onward to "spring forward."  This year, I have an intense desire to purge the heck out of my house, every single room.  I already have two boxes full of papers that I need to take to get shredded.  And my husband doesn't know this yet but we are going to paint all three bedrooms this winter. :)

12 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Guess I am in the minority but I love winter. I love bundling up and shoveling snow. I love the warm cozy darkness.  I love how beautiful the moon is on a snowy landscape.

Glad I live in the northern climes with the shorter days.

I appreciate this take on winter.  It's definitely not all bad, and you pointed out some lovely things about it.  I do love walking in winter and taking note of the landscape, the frozen lake near my house, and the days when the sky is blue and not gray.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like it to stay as light as possible, as late as possible.  I don’t think I’d like it light 24/7 as in Alaska though.  

Depends on where you live—we hated that in the desert. In July when it’s 117 at 5pm, you just want the sun to go the fuck away. You can’t do sports late in the afternoon, it either has to be very early or after the sun goes down—and even then, it can still be over 90 until 4am (side note—don’t let anyone tell you “but it’s a dry heat”, like it’s somehow easier: we had people from the southeast part of the country collapsing left and right because they didn’t take our dry heat seriously). 

I enjoy seasons and change, so for now I’m enjoying shorter days and fall (and a real fall at that!). Snow won’t stop me either, there’s skiing and snowshoeing. If it get seasonally rough, there’s a tanning boutique a few miles away (because this place has EVERYTHING). And just when I’ve had enough, it will be spring. Seasons. Are. AWESOME. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I appreciate all seasons, and like most of you I like sunlight. But...

I would love the seasons to be one month of winter, 12/1 - 1/2, and then about 3.5 months each of the rest.

Most of December is still in the Fall but I hear you.  I'd be happy if the months of Jan. - March. stayed the same as December.  New England Winters are horrible.  We are often in the path of every storm and the ice is an issue.  And now I am worried because due to the warmer Fall we've had there are still leaves on the trees.  If we get another Nor'easter that brings ice we could be in for the same disaster we had in 2011 when most of the state was without power for weeks.  Seriously weeks.  It happened because usually the leaves are all fallen before we get snow and ice to any great degree but that year the snow and ice came early and weighed down tree branches so much they fell.  This wouldn't have been such an issue if the leaves had already fallen.  This year the leaves are late to fall but according to the TV weather this morning we could be looking at snow later this week.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Depends on where you live—we hated that in the desert. In July when it’s 117 at 5pm, you just want the sun to go the fuck away. You can’t do sports late in the afternoon, it either has to be very early or after the sun goes down—and even then, it can still be over 90 until 4am (side note—don’t let anyone tell you “but it’s a dry heat”, like it’s somehow easier: we had people from the southeast part of the country collapsing left and right because they didn’t take our dry heat seriously). 

I enjoy seasons and change, so for now I’m enjoying shorter days and fall (and a real fall at that!). Snow won’t stop me either, there’s skiing and snowshoeing. If it get seasonally rough, there’s a tanning boutique a few miles away (because this place has EVERYTHING). And just when I’ve had enough, it will be spring. Seasons. Are. AWESOME. 

I read that Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time and I don't blame them.  I think today we are technologically equipped to handle some states that differ from the rest.  One of the earlier arguments against these variances was that it was difficult for people to plan travel or meetings, but now our computers tell us these things automatically and "correct" for time zone variances so it's really not such a big issue anymore.

• Useful 4
12 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

enjoy seasons and change, so for now I’m enjoying shorter days and fall (and a real fall at that!). Snow won’t stop me either, there’s skiing and snowshoeing. If it get seasonally rough, there’s a tanning boutique a few miles away (because this place has EVERYTHING). And just when I’ve had enough, it will be spring. Seasons. Are. AWESOME. 

Ok yes, I do like the season changes, especially watching the changes in the leaves at each one. 

When we first moved out here to TN, we had snow the first winter and it was magical! I sat outside trying to catch snowflakes and just staring up into the sky watching them fall. I went outside at night when the temp hit -4 just because I'd never experienced that, and the air smells different when it's that cold, and our wood walkway got crunchy. Truly amazing!
  Last winter, we had a bunch of snow and I got to see snowplows -they even took out our mailbox, which I found hilarious- and I saw so many animal prints, like rabbits, deer, birds and even a snake. I loved the pristine look of the snow blanket that sparkled like someone sprinkled glitter all over. I like snow to last for about a week, and then I'm good and it can go, lol! TN has all 4 seasons and it's really beautiful. 

• Love 7

Just FYI, we just started Standard time.  Daylight Saving Time is from 2nd Sunday in March to 1st Sunday in November.   So if you're wanting what we just changed from you are wanting DST all year long.  And it was not for the good of school children nor for farmers which are the two most common misconceptions, it was advocated to save energy during wartime and to allow people to take advantage of the natural light well into evening.

https://www.almanac.com/content/when-daylight-saving-time

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Ok yes, I do like the season changes, especially watching the changes in the leaves at each one. 

When we first moved out here to TN, we had snow the first winter and it was magical! I sat outside trying to catch snowflakes and just staring up into the sky watching them fall. I went outside at night when the temp hit -4 just because I'd never experienced that, and the air smells different when it's that cold, and our wood walkway got crunchy. Truly amazing!
  Last winter, we had a bunch of snow and I got to see snowplows -they even took out our mailbox, which I found hilarious- and I saw so many animal prints, like rabbits, deer, birds and even a snake. I loved the pristine look of the snow blanket that sparkled like someone sprinkled glitter all over. I like snow to last for about a week, and then I'm good and it can go, lol! TN has all 4 seasons and it's really beautiful. 

I love that you are taking such delight in the details of winter.  I'll try REALLY hard to see and experience it from a perspective similar to yours because frankly I HATE it.  Maybe if I can enjoy the little unique things about it again I may be able to find some appreciation for it, doubt I'll make it to joy but baby steps.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I'm right there with you. I have the seasonal yuck anyway that seems to start earlier and get worse every year. The early darkness just feeds the deepening interior darkness. I need to make a doc appt to try and find some help, but we tried so many medications the last two years, and nothing worked, except for emptying my wallet 😆. I'm just so tired and have little hope over it at the moment.

I do have a 'happy' light that I have to remember to try. I just unearthed it from the closet. Also upped the D3, B complex, and making sure to get some outside time every day there's sun.

There is good stuff too, though! I have been enjoying the vibrant Fall colors and love observing the young deer family that grazes in our back meadow, (7 of them, all different ages and the one male just got his antlers!). I also heard one of the resident Barred owls a few nights ago. 

I was clinically diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) almost 30 years ago and have been using a therapeutic light box since my diagnosis.  A couple things to keep in mind when selecting and effectively using a therapy light 1) it needs to emit light at 10K lux 2) should emit minimal UV light  3) should be used on a consistent schedule from very early fall through well into spring 4) should be positions just off to the side or just above eye level and don't shine it directly toward your face or eyes 5) it is most definitely possible to over do it so should aim for a session of 20 - 30 minutes 6) mornings, shortly after waking is generally the recommended time of day, too late an you may have trouble falling or staying asleep.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/in-depth/seasonal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298

eta: I didn't realize all the posts I was reacting to were yours.  I must be connecting with you on some cosmic level today 😉

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sharkerbaby said:

I love that you are taking such delight in the details of winter.  I'll try REALLY hard to see and experience it from a perspective similar to yours because frankly I HATE it.  Maybe if I can enjoy the little unique things about it again I may be able to find some appreciation for it, doubt I'll make it to joy but baby steps.

Thank you! Small steps is the way to go! It doesn't have to be joy, but a small marveling or appreciation can help. (Just like trying to find the tiniest bit of good, even in bad times to change the perspective a little) It's what keeps me keepin' on, otherwise I'd be a Meri, and ain't nobody got time for that 😆

My dad in Calif has been taking daily pics of the sunrise, to see how/when the sky changes and the wildfire smoke clears, and it's incredible to see how dark it got and how long it took to see some blue again. He's pretty far from the fires, so it has been interesting to see how thick the smoke was at his house--with ash on his cars even! I'd love to take his picture chronicles and knit a scarf to show the color and sky change progression, but I'm quite lazy, so who knows if that'll happen.

Right now I'm trying to appreciate ladybugs, as it's swarming time (Spr is the other time) and I have brooms outside both doors and vacuums at the front and back set of windows.   They coat the house where the sun hits and somehow get in the house and drive us and the cats nuts! But they don't damage anything, and don't make a mess, and they are not spiders, so it's definitely not as bad as it could be. 😆 I remember my Granny telling me to make a wish when you see a ladybug, and well, I have a thousand wishes coming to me haha!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, sharkerbaby said:

I was clinically diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) almost 30 years ago and have been using a therapeutic light box since my diagnosis.  A couple things to keep in mind when selecting and effectively using a therapy light 1) it needs to emit light at 10K lux 2) should emit minimal UV light  3) should be used on a consistent schedule from very early fall through well into spring 4) should be positions just off to the side or just above eye level and don't shine it directly toward your face or eyes 5) it is most definitely possible to over do it so should aim for a session of 20 - 30 minutes 6) mornings, shortly after waking is generally the recommended time of day, too late an you may have trouble falling or staying asleep.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/in-depth/seasonal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298

eta: I didn't realize all the posts I was reacting to were yours.  I must be connecting with you on some cosmic level today 😉

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for this info! I was doing it all wrong last year! I was using it at night and putting my face all up in it. I only had the 20-30 minutes correct. 😆 
The little light box I have is only 5K, but is UV free. I'll have to see about a new one. I found this one at the craft store on clearance lol.

I have had SAD since I was a young teen and the older I get the worse it gets, then the depression that tags along with chronic pain muddies the waters a lot. My mood is generally positive-for which I'm eternally grateful. I do work at it, though it's sometimes like I'm slogging up Everest.

I love cosmic connections! We bump into each other for a reason. I love how much I learn from everyone here. It has really added to my life, and I'm thankful.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Thank you! Small steps is the way to go! It doesn't have to be joy, but a small marveling or appreciation can help. (Just like trying to find the tiniest bit of good, even in bad times to change the perspective a little) It's what keeps me keepin' on, otherwise I'd be a Meri, and ain't nobody got time for that 😆

My dad in Calif has been taking daily pics of the sunrise, to see how/when the sky changes and the wildfire smoke clears, and it's incredible to see how dark it got and how long it took to see some blue again. He's pretty far from the fires, so it has been interesting to see how thick the smoke was at his house--with ash on his cars even! I'd love to take his picture chronicles and knit a scarf to show the color and sky change progression, but I'm quite lazy, so who knows if that'll happen.

Right now I'm trying to appreciate ladybugs, as it's swarming time (Spr is the other time) and I have brooms outside both doors and vacuums at the front and back set of windows.   They coat the house where the sun hits and somehow get in the house and drive us and the cats nuts! But they don't damage anything, and don't make a mess, and they are not spiders, so it's definitely not as bad as it could be. 😆 I remember my Granny telling me to make a wish when you see a ladybug, and well, I have a thousand wishes coming to me haha!

Re: the bolded... kind of like a temperature blanket... What a cool idea, if you get around to it, you must post a pic when it's done.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I have had SAD since I was a young teen and the older I get the worse it gets, then the depression that tags along with chronic pain muddies the waters a lot. My mood is generally positive-for which I'm eternally grateful. I do work at it, though it's sometimes like I'm slogging up Everest.

Same - and I keep thinking that the older I get, it should get better because I should be used to this by now, I have lived in Michigan my entire life.  Maybe it's just because when my kids were at home we still had to go go go all the time with school events, sports, etc.  Now with them out of the house, the temptation to go to bed at 6:30 (yes I said 6:30, it's pitch dark by then!) with a book and a cup of tea is so strong, I don't bother fighting it anymore! :)

• Love 10
4 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

Just FYI, we just started Standard time.  Daylight Saving Time is from 2nd Sunday in March to 1st Sunday in November.   So if you're wanting what we just changed from you are wanting DST all year long.  And it was not for the good of school children nor for farmers which are the two most common misconceptions, it was advocated to save energy during wartime and to allow people to take advantage of the natural light well into evening.

I never understood this—it’s just humans being gullible. There is no “extra hour” of light—that doesn’t change. People are still free to enjoy natural light as long as it lasts—it’s just that humans see a clock that says 6 pm instead of 5. 

Silly humans. All they need to do is adjust their schedules, not their clocks (and every year I grumble about the fact that we have to do this dumb thing). 🥴

• Love 8
4 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

I know it was originally for farmers.  But some places did stay on DST.  Others tried it, but kids were getting hit at school bus stops or on their way to the stop, because it was dark so long in the morning.  Which is the reason some places want to keep changing it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

@Meowwww I am very sorry for what you are going through and glad your hubby is doing better. My heart breaks over the loss of your beloved horse. Just think of the move as a new beginning and its very exciting. Many months when I was laid off due to Covid, I looked around my house planning on what was going to take with me if I had to start a new adventure, and I actually was a little bummed that I got a job. My dream is still there, and it will happen, but this time it will because I chose it and it wasn't forced on me

• Love 7

We naturally and gradually lose a sunlight between June and December and naturally and gradually gain a little sunlight from December to June.

But the reason I like DST better than Standard Time is due when the sun is shining. I prefer to get out of work while its sunny. I prefer to have a little sunshine in the evening. I also live in New England so for me, the darkness is compounded by the cold. I'm usually fine until the end of February, but really start itching for sunshine and warmth in January. I still, after many decades, fool myself that March will have nice weather, when it rarely has more the a day or two.

• Love 7

Actually, farmers were against DST from the start.  They don't work by the clock they work by the sun and morning tends to be the most active for them.  All DST did for them was interfere w/ when they were able to interact with suppliers, markets, and such.

Children waiting for school buses by the side of the road also had nothing to do with the implementation, reintroduction, or the continuation of DST.  That is a "modern" day concern when the subject comes up.  When DST was first instituted buses didn't even exist.  When it was reintroduced, few children even rode a school bus with almost all kids walking to school.  (I'm sure you've heard your grandparents and probably parents had to walk miles both ways uphill thru the snow in shoes with holes in the sole to school - and while that may be an exaggeration the walking part was not.)

As mentioned before, those are both 2 very common misconceptions.  Below is another reliable source for the history of DST, both confirm my assertions.  

Also, fun fact, while Benjamin Franklin is credited with coming up with the concept, Germany was the first to introduce DST during WW1 and the US was one of the last countries to jump on board.  (Certainly no buses, or even cars, back in Benjamin Franklin's day.)

Finally, most people can't adjust their schedules because even when it was instituted, most families schedule's were dictated by work and school which were driven by the clock, not the sun.  The extra hour of light equated to saving energy during the war because when they got home from work and school there was still plenty of daylight to allow natural light to illuminate their homes until shortly before going to bed.

As promised, another reliable link giving the history of DST...
https://www.livescience.com/56048-daylight-saving-time-guide.html

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

But the reason I like DST better than Standard Time is due when the sun is shining. I prefer to get out of work while its sunny. I prefer to have a little sunshine in the evening. I also live in New England so for me, the darkness is compounded by the cold. I'm usually fine until the end of February, but really start itching for sunshine and warmth in January. I still, after many decades, fool myself that March will have nice weather, when it rarely has more the a day or two.

Growing up in NJ, by the time March rolled around and it was sunny and maybe hit 60 degrees, it was like play hooky time and head down to the shore, even if the water was still way too cold or a day road trip. Now where I live we get 330 days almost of sun, so when it cold and rainy and overcast, I want to play hooky and light up the fire place and watch some good movies and have something cooking in the crockpot.

• Love 9

When most of the rest of Canada started Daylight Savings Time, Saskatchewan said no they are not going to alternate Mountain Standard and Mountain Daylight time (the province is north of the eastern half of the US Mountain time zone), they went for permanent Central Standard Time. But at the latitude of the major cities,  with ~16 hrs of daylight in summer and only 8 hrs of daylight in winter, changing the clocks doesn't make much of a difference.  

Shopping & dining don't require sunlight, so I'd rather do them in the dark and be outside in nature when the sun's out.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I know it was originally for farmers.  But some places did stay on DST.  Others tried it, but kids were getting hit at school bus stops or on their way to the stop, because it was dark so long in the morning.  Which is the reason some places want to keep changing it.

The new movement to keep DST all year round is addressing this by suggesting later start times for school to compensate.  Today there are new issues that were not the case 50 years ago, or that weren't known about until recently.  Like the fact that kids are more sleep deprived having to get up so early now because they stay up later otherwise barely see their working parents in the evening.  And it's often more convenient for the parents for them to get out of school later too.  Plus studies are showing that permanent DST helps to reduce the incidence and severity of SADS. So a lot of those older arguments are not as relevant as they once were or can be solved by new and attractive solutions.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

We naturally and gradually lose a sunlight between June and December and naturally and gradually gain a little sunlight from December to June.

Thank you.  It's hard to explain to people in other parts of the country just how horrible it is up here in the Winter and how much better our quality of life would be if we could stay on DST all year.  What a lot of people don't realize is that latitude also affects how much daylight you get per day so that plus where you are in the time zone can conspire to make Winter a very miserable existence.  The farther North you are the shorter your days are going to be in the Winter compared with people in lower latitudes.  Here in the Hartford, CT area there are roughly 9 hours of daylight on the shortest day of the year and our sun sets at 4:20 in the afternoon, meanwhile it's even worse in Seattle at only 8 and a half on the shortest day, but the sun sets at just around the same time as in CT.  But they don't get the cold and snow we do so I would argue that we have it worse in some ways.

March is still pretty cold up here.  I felt like I used to get more Spring and Fall in NYC.  Up here it's more like Summer and Winter and very little in-between.  Although this year has kind of been an exception to that but even so it still has been warm enough to feel like Summer.  Today it was higher than the predicted 65 degrees here.  My car thermometer said 69 degrees!

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

DST also is a boost for the economy. More evening light, more shoppers and diners.

Yes and I've been thinking that for years now.  When the sun sets everyone wants to go home and hibernate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I completely understand. With humans and their schedules, it’s unlikely an employer would allow you to adjust your schedule to begin earlier and leave earlier. In that regard, it is understandable. We are bound by our clocks and watches. As Wonder Woman said to Steve Trevor about his watch: “You let this little thing tell you what to do?” 

Yes. Yes we do. 

• Love 7

My job is really pushing the return to office in January theme. None of us wants to return, of course. They keep saying how they've redesigned the space and it's so beautiful, and they keep sending us reminders about "wellness" and "avoiding burnout." They recommend meditation apps.

Obviously they are bleeding money paying for the unused office all these months. Wellness, to me = staying TF home!

I am looking for a fully remote new job. There is no earthly reason for my presence in an office in an online customer service role, except that they can't make an exception for me and force others on my "team" to come in.

(When did co-workers become a team? It's not like we're playing a sport....)

• Love 8

On 11/9/2021 at 10:34 AM, sharkerbaby said:

Just FYI, we just started Standard time.  Daylight Saving Time is from 2nd Sunday in March to 1st Sunday in November.   

Come sit next to me.  I've been telling people this for 3 days.

22 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

As mentioned before, those are both 2 very common misconceptions. 

I think the most common misconception is that every time we change the clocks, it's Daylight Saving Time!

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

My job is really pushing the return to office in January theme. None of us wants to return, of course. They keep saying how they've redesigned the space and it's so beautiful, and they keep sending us reminders about "wellness" and "avoiding burnout." They recommend meditation apps.

Obviously they are bleeding money paying for the unused office all these months. Wellness, to me = staying TF home!

I am looking for a fully remote new job. There is no earthly reason for my presence in an office in an online customer service role, except that they can't make an exception for me and force others on my "team" to come in.

(When did co-workers become a team? It's not like we're playing a sport....)

I can relate (sort of) because my daughter worked mostly from home most of last year, and earlier this year.  Then the university that she's employed by required her to work at the U 3 days a week, and remotely the other 2.  Offices there shifted around, and now the noise from the room next to her office really bothers her.  She loves working at home.

As I would have, back in the day.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

I can relate (sort of) because my daughter worked mostly from home most of last year, and earlier this year.  Then the university that she's employed by required her to work at the U 3 days a week, and remotely the other 2.  Offices there shifted around, and now the noise from the room next to her office really bothers her.  She loves working at home.

As I would have, back in the day.

Thanks. It's not worth it to me to risk getting covid from younger co-workers who aren't protecting themselves. Scientists are saying that cloth and surgical masks don't cut it with the Delta variant and we should all be wearing N95 (or KN95 with cloth on top).  N95 are now widely available for about 60 cents apiece and are reusable if aired out for 3 days. However, the one time I went into my office (for training), the CEO and several other people wore no mask at all, including the manager who trained us. Also, most of these young people can't get the booster yet - and who knows if they will when they are eligible. I think my best shot is to try to find a fully remote job. I just discussed all this in my weekly one-on-one zoom with my manager, who reminded me that when I accepted the job it was with the understanding that it will require two days in the office at some point. I pushed back saying I was more comfortable with that when she reassured me that everyone would wear masks - but that I became less comfortable after seeing that that rule was in fact not enforced.

Honestly, even before covid I preferred working from home. I was fully remote at my old company, except for traveling when we had out of town events.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Scientists are saying that cloth and surgical masks don't cut it with the Delta variant and we should all be wearing N95 (or KN95 with cloth on top).

That's interesting.  I know cloth masks are no longer recommended, but I haven't seen any articles recommending putting a cloth mask on top of a KN95.  Do you have any references handy?  I wouldn't be able to breathe sufficiently doing that for very long.  One hospital visit they had me put a surgical mask over a KN95 and I lasted about 50 feet.   The KN95 masks I bought are very tight fitting and have excellent filtration.  They make wearing a surgical mask feel like not wearing a mask at all.  

• Useful 2
7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

That's interesting.  I know cloth masks are no longer recommended, but I haven't seen any articles recommending putting a cloth mask on top of a KN95.  Do you have any references handy?  I wouldn't be able to breathe sufficiently doing that for very long.  One hospital visit they had me put a surgical mask over a KN95 and I lasted about 50 feet.   The KN95 masks I bought are very tight fitting and have excellent filtration.  They make wearing a surgical mask feel like not wearing a mask at all.  

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-we-need-to-upgrade-our-face-masks-and-where-to-get-them/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thanks.  Yes, I'd seen that one before.  It discusses double masking of a cloth mask over a surgical mask, but not over a KN95 unless I missed something.  The article seems to recommend an N95 or KN95 mask by itself over double masking of cloth over a surgical mask because of breathability.  I can agree with that.  I have some of the European masks they discuss and when the filter is inserted in those, breathing can become a real issue.  The advantage those have is the mask is very comfortable and washable and only the filter goes in the trash after multiple uses.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Thanks. It's not worth it to me to risk getting covid from younger co-workers who aren't protecting themselves. Scientists are saying that cloth and surgical masks don't cut it with the Delta variant and we should all be wearing N95 (or KN95 with cloth on top).  N95 are now widely available for about 60 cents apiece and are reusable if aired out for 3 days. However, the one time I went into my office (for training), the CEO and several other people wore no mask at all, including the manager who trained us. Also, most of these young people can't get the booster yet - and who knows if they will when they are eligible. I think my best shot is to try to find a fully remote job. I just discussed all this in my weekly one-on-one zoom with my manager, who reminded me that when I accepted the job it was with the understanding that it will require two days in the office at some point. I pushed back saying I was more comfortable with that when she reassured me that everyone would wear masks - but that I became less comfortable after seeing that that rule was in fact not enforced.

Honestly, even before covid I preferred working from home. I was fully remote at my old company, except for traveling when we had out of town events.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that, Tea, I would be reacting the same as you right now if that happened to me.  I am high risk in a few ways and that would be outside my comfort zone even though I'm triple vaccinated now (got my booster a couple of weeks ago).  I usually wear those KN95s from that website you posted by themselves because I try not to get too close to anyone, but I have on occasion double masked with that and one of those truly surgical grade surgical masks.  I just saw a doctor yesterday and wore that.  It was kind of suffocating, but I lived with it.

The good thing is that there are a lot more fully remote jobs now since the pandemic started so here's hoping you find one soon.  

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Absolom said:

My issue with this is that those KN95s are expensive! I can afford them, but not everyone can. If they want us all to be wearing masks because of their mandates and recommendations, they ought to be providing them to people who cannot otherwise afford them. 

• Love 7
On 11/8/2021 at 8:50 AM, TurtlePower said:

The last town I lived in out west I was nearly run over 3 times while running, drivers gunned for puddles after a rain just to douse pedestrians and the general vibe was pure rage. I hated it there (southeast New Mexico).

Completely off the topic...but...

An interesting thing about New Mexico.  My husband travels all over, as I've mentioned before.  However, the stand out about New Mexico was how many times he was openly hit on in public places.  He is a good looking guy and tall. 6'4" but 6'6" when wearing his work boots. He would be mixing his cream in his coffee in a convenience store and a woman would walk right up to him and start flirting. Getting out of his car/truck in the parking lot of a hardware store, hit on. Ordering in a restaurant...hit on, and by other customers, not just a waitress.

He was telling me how weird he thought it was and my only thought was that he was wearing his work clothes at the time and so women were hitting on him because it was obvious that he was employed... 😂🤣

• LOL 20

My husband is having hip replacement surgery next month, and I was curious if anyone here has had one, (or cared for someone who had one), and had any advice as we do this?

I'm a little nervous because they recently found that he has a small ascending aortic aneurysm, and some sort of small 1" mass in his chest between the heart and chest wall (it didn't light up on a PET scan, so it's not cancer, thank goodness).

He's getting the hip done before they figure out what the mass is. They would have to crack him open to see what it is, and don't really want to do that, so we're on track to see a cardio oncology surgeon after the hip stuff to see what to do. (My kinda antivax MIL has decided that the mass and aneurysm is from the vaccine 🙄.)

They've initially said the aneurysm is a keep-an-eye-on-it issue, and he will need scans every few months, which is a great relief, but feels like a ticking bomb, too. His warranty has apparently expired as he's now needing many repairs😆 

Timing, as always, is bad as my latest back mri is showing severe nerve squish above my previously installed hardware, which explains the new numbs and pain intensity. (Doc wants me to consult with a surgeon after some injections next month, ugh, AND she wants to revisit how much my neck site and hardware has degraded, due to new crazy pain and numbs topside, too--my own warranty was up years ago 😆)

But! pain is nothing compared to his heart and hip stuff, so I can put me on the back burner. I don't want any more surgery anyway, unless it's critical, or they can make me bionic ha! 

Sorry for the rambles and stress word vomit. I appreciate the ear since I feel a need to be stoic and logical irl. Oct and Nov have been quite the months! I must've made the universe mad. (Our well pump also decided to work only sometimes, but it was not too expensive to fix, whew! There's the car issues, too. Lol it's just all so ridiculous)

I'm a little overwhelmed and exhausted right now, but am working to stay positive, hopeful and find the funny in the circus of my life.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

@WhatAmIWatching I have no words of wisdom. I’m sending you both good thoughts.

❤️ Thank you so much! Good thoughts, hugs and jokes definitely all help a lot. This too shall pass.
  YOU also help a lot by bringing all of the Brown's SM foolishness here for me to read and see. I wouldn't see most of it otherwise, and at least I know I'm not as screwed up as the adults in that family 🤣 

• Love 10
On 11/10/2021 at 6:02 PM, Absolom said:

Thanks.  Yes, I'd seen that one before.  It discusses double masking of a cloth mask over a surgical mask, but not over a KN95 unless I missed something.  The article seems to recommend an N95 or KN95 mask by itself over double masking of cloth over a surgical mask because of breathability.  I can agree with that.  I have some of the European masks they discuss and when the filter is inserted in those, breathing can become a real issue.  The advantage those have is the mask is very comfortable and washable and only the filter goes in the trash after multiple uses.  

I can’t seem to locate N95 masks that have loops around the ears. They all seem to wrap around the head.  I bought a box like that, but they were very uncomfortable. So small like for a child, but were not.  I returned them as unwearable.  I see KN95 like I want, but I don’t want to have to wear 2 pieces.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4