Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I just got my Moderna booster about 6 hours ago.  So far no symptoms, all is good, just feel a little tired.

Geting mine tomorrow if all goes well.  My sis had hers today and had all kinds of stuff but she has bad allergies (is still taking biweekly allergy shots at almost 70 years old) so I'm not surprised.  She had issues with the first ones as well (aches and pains, fever, headache) but says it beats the hell out of being intubated.

I'm not ready for enclosed spaces either.  I did take an art class but sat way in the corner away from people.  I am still operating under Agent Mulder's "Trust No One" slogan.  Of course, I probably jinxed myself by going because that's the night I hit a deer and demolished the front driver's side of my car.  If it's not one thing....

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I'm not ready for enclosed spaces either.  I did take an art class but sat way in the corner away from people.  I am still operating under Agent Mulder's "Trust No One" slogan.  Of course, I probably jinxed myself by going because that's the night I hit a deer and demolished the front driver's side of my car.  If it's not one thing....

Ouch, I hit a deer in 2019.  While the damage to the car was repairable, the damage to the deer wasn't.  I had to wait on the side of the road while the poor thing suffered.  As you know I have a soft spot for animals so this really shook me.  Only a few months later my husband hit one on the interstate late at night while doing his limo. thing.  Fortunately he was driving a very large SUV so no one in the car was injured, although the SUV was totaled.

14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Ouch, I hit a deer in 2019.  While the damage to the car was repairable, the damage to the deer wasn't.  I had to wait on the side of the road while the poor thing suffered.  As you know I have a soft spot for animals so this really shook me.  Only a few months later my husband hit one on the interstate late at night while doing his limo. thing.  Fortunately he was driving a very large SUV so no one in the car was injured, although the SUV was totaled.

In my state of PA we can call the Game Commission and they send out an officer who will dispatch the injured deer.  If we get caught doing it its a hefty fine.  Sadly we had to several years ago.  Based on where the poor doe was in our yard and neither of her back legs worked we suspected she was clipped by a train and then rolled down the embankment into our yard. It was clean and quick and the officer also took the carcass as well.

On 10/24/2021 at 4:33 PM, outtahere said:

Yes I just finished the third season of YOU.  It will blow you away.  Another excellent show on Netflix is OZARK.  There are many others including BREAKING BAD and BETTER CALL SAUL.

Enjoy.

I finished it tonight. I’m so sad how it ended.  I can’t say anything else because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone else. It got picked up for Season 4. 

• Love 1
On 10/24/2021 at 2:56 PM, iwantcookies said:

My little rant: 

too many streaming services and they all add up to a pretty penny every month. Plus internet. I wish it was all cheaper! I have 2 Hulu and HBO. Netflix only a few months a year.

Side question: anyone watching the show You on Netflix? I have not seen S3 yet. But oh my what a show.

I so completely agree with your first paragraph! I do have a big addendum though: we live in the middle of a forest, so can't get reliable internet. (Satellite, which is metered, expensive and sllllooooo....www) It's extremely frustrating and annoying that so much is headed for streaming when I cannot stream! But also, cannot afford 30 different services to catch all the good stuff, lol.

I feel left out, kind of like when I was in elementary school and all the kids got to watch sitcoms and discuss them at school the next day, and all I had to talk about was Jacques Cousteau, or whatever else was on PBS. 😆 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

It's extremely frustrating and annoying that so much is headed for streaming when I cannot stream! But also, cannot afford 30 different services to catch all the good stuff, lol.

Plus there is no local news or weather on streaming services and some seem to overlap.  So you are paying for umpteen services for one or two programs on each. It really adds up!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I get streaming with local stations.  The Weather Channel is on frndly.  I agree though about too many little pockets of things to have to sign up to get what I want to see.  My recent pet peeve is starting shows on one of the major networks and then peeling it off to a streaming only packet.  

• Love 4

Has anyone checked out YouTube TV? The one you pay for?  I think it gets local stations and a lot of other things too.  But one still needs internet. I added up Hulu, Acorn TV, Prime and Netflix and I think it is a little over $300 a year.  Not a month.  That doesn't seem all that outrageous. Of course we don't get AppleTV, Disneyplus, etc.  And we still have DirecTV because the Mr. likes the premium channels (and watches them).  And we still can't find all that much to watch.  I can put regular YouTube onto the big screen and a lot of times that is enough for me.   But we have good internet.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Yes, it's Youtube TV that I have.  It covers 80% to 90% of what I want to watch.  I also have Acorn and Britbox and already had Prime because I order so much delivered.  I had Frndly for maybe 3 months to watch two particular shows and suspended it when they were over.  That part I like that the services can go on hold.  My grandson is astounded that I can live without Netflix.  I tell him you don't miss what you've never had.  

• Love 7

Oh man, I want Britbox so bad but I cannot justify it.............yet.

Same, I have Netflix, Prime, Paramount, YouTube TV and recently HBO Max which I only meant to use as a free trial but then I got hooked on Succession and so....now I have HBO Max too.  It does add up, but like I tell my husband - we aren't really going anywhere, we don't go to movies (we never really did), and I cannot live without SW, The GBBO, Succession, and all my reality tv from Paramount.  A girl has priorities.  That's why I buy the cheap wine. 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

I use YoutubeTV as my main tv-watching app, but I have Acorn and Britbox as well.  I also have Amazon Prime.  I use YoutubeTv because it includes the sports I want as well as most of the stations I like.  It is the only streaming app that includes my local PBS station (as well as all the local stations), so I don't have to keep switching to the PBS app all the time.  I also watch PLUTO.  It is a free app that has so may good live stations, and on-demand stations.  It even has a dedicated station  for "Midsommer Murders".

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 10/27/2021 at 3:41 PM, laurakaye said:

Oh man, I want Britbox so bad but I cannot justify it.............yet.

Same, I have Netflix, Prime, Paramount, YouTube TV and recently HBO Max which I only meant to use as a free trial but then I got hooked on Succession and so....now I have HBO Max too.  It does add up, but like I tell my husband - we aren't really going anywhere, we don't go to movies (we never really did), and I cannot live without SW, The GBBO, Succession, and all my reality tv from Paramount.  A girl has priorities.  That's why I buy the cheap wine. 😉

I say the same thing to my husband when he kvetches about the cost of all of this but he has to admit that as we get older and especially since the pandemic our travel and entertainment costs have really shrunk a lot, and so this stuff means more now.  We have Comcast/Xfinity cable but we get Discovery+ and Netflix for free, plus I share passwords with friends even though that's considered shady, so I also get Paramount+ and Hulu for free.  I also have Chromecast, which I use with Daily Motion to watch stuff I can't find anywhere else for free, plus Roku, which I use to watch Pluto and all sorts of other free stuff.  I might have to break down and get HBO Max for a while to watch the "Sex and the City" reboot plus a bunch of other things that are going to air on it in the near future.  Of course I've also wanted Britbox but it's going to have to wait for now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I say the same thing to my husband when he kvetches about the cost of all of this but he has to admit that as we get older and especially since the pandemic our travel and entertainment costs have really shrunk a lot, and so this stuff means more now.  We have Comcast/Xfinity cable but we get Discovery+ and Netflix for free, plus I share passwords with friends even though that's considered shady, so I also get Paramount+ and Hulu for free.  I also have Chromecast, which I use with Daily Motion to watch stuff I can't find anywhere else for free, plus Roku, which I use to watch Pluto and all sorts of other free stuff.  I might have to break down and get HBO Max for a while to watch the "Sex and the City" reboot plus a bunch of other things that are going to air on it in the near future.  Of course I've also wanted Britbox but it's going to have to wait for now.

I just have Netflix, Hulu and my daughter has Disney+.  Her and her husband order enough from Amazon to go Amazon Prime.  They are thinking about doing that.  Between the three of us that keeps us entertained.  Plus we watch a lot of YouTube.  I haven't turned on local TV in ages.

I am looking forward to the next season of sister wives ( itunes ).  But really looking forward to the next book in the Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon.  Also the next season of Outlander, once it becomes available on itunes.

"" Go Tell The Bee's That I Am Gone ""

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

So today, my hubby got tested positive for Covid.  He’s 50 with diabetes.  I’m scared.  He’s coughing. 
A good friend of mine is 45.  She’s in the icu, on a ventilator, in critical condition with Covid. 
Today my horse got sick with colic.  I had her put down. it was horrible. She was 27, a long life for a horse.  But it was and is horrible.  She suffered horribly for a few hours.  
My mom died 2 years ago.  I was with her when she died.  I need my mom 
I just can’t with this.  I’m terrified for my husband.  I owned my horse for 24 years and saw her in terrible pain and saw her put down. 
This morning I got up, life was good.  Now my horse is dead and my husband has Covid.  I can’t. 

Edited by Meowwww
26 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

So today, my hubby got tested positive for Covid.  He’s 50 with diabetes.  I’m scared.  He’s coughing. 
A good friend of mine is 45.  She’s in the icu, on a ventilator, in critical condition with Covid. 
Today my horse got sick with colic.  I had her put down. it was horrible. She was 27, a long life for a horse.  But it was and is horrible.  She suffered horribly for a few hours.  
I just can’t with this.  I’m terrified for my husband.  I owned my horse for 24 years and saw her in terrible pain and saw her put down. 
This morning I got up, life was good.  Now my horse is dead and my husband has Covid.  I can’t. 

OMG, I am so sorry you are going through this.  My prayers are with you and your husband and best friend for a quick recovery for both of them.  You’ll see your beloved horse at the rainbow bridge and I think she is now with your Mom.  I am so sorry.

• Love 13

@Meowwww, I'm sure you must be thinking this is the worst day of your life and wonder how you will get on.  What a horrible thing for you and so much at once.  I just hope you can take it one hour at a time - just get through one and then the next.  Don't take it in big chunks, don't expect to feel better all at once.  It's going to hurt and that's to be expected.  But it's so fresh right now.  One step, one hour, one day. 

You've worked so hard throughout this whole pandemic it doesn't seem fair that all of this hit you at once!

• Love 17

@Meowwww (((hugs))) one step at a time. Prayers for your hubby and friend for a speedy recovery. So sorry for the loss of your horse, it is very hard to lose a beloved pet. I can understand how you want your mother's comfort at this time. Know she is with you in spirit and will give you the strength to get through this difficult time. Love and prayers coming your way.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Meowwww said:

OMG, this is so much to be dealing with right now all at once!  I will say my prayers for your husband and friend.  I hope you have someone near you to talk to about this.  You know you can always come here and we'll offer whatever support we can.  Many hugs!!

• Love 13

It's awful when so many things seem to go wrong all at once.  It makes you suspicious of having a good day because you don't trust those days to last, but we are all thinking of you and hoping for a very positive outcome for your husband.  Keep us posted if you can. 

• Love 15

@MeowwwwI am so sorry to hear that you're going through such an incredibly hard time. I will keep you, your husband and friend in my thoughts and send wishes and prayers for better days ahead. Please reach out as often as you need. It sounds like too much to bear and my heart goes out to you.

• Love 14

I was so surprised to have a dream about the Brown family last night! In my dream, which seemed so real,  I went to visit with them in their home. I stayed for several days.  It was a large house where they ALL lived.  It wasn’t  lavish, but a bit more upscale than the their old house in Utah.  I had conversations with all the wives and Kody. I particularly got along with Maddie, who lived there with Caleb.  Before I left, I left her a nice card thanking her for their hospitality, along with a small gift of candies.  Lol. I felt bad that I didn’t have time to leave the others cards or gifts and promised that I that I would, once I returned home.  I recall that Kody was a little annoyed with me once during the visit, as I left some pecan shells in their tv viewing room!  Such a weird dream……I have NO idea what it meant at all! 🥴

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was so surprised to have a dream about the Brown family last night! In my dream, which seemed so real,  I went to visit with them in their home. I stayed for several days.  It was a large house where they ALL lived.  It wasn’t  lavish, but a bit more upscale than the their old house in Utah.  I had conversations with all the wives and Kody. I particularly got along with Maddie, who lived there with Caleb.  Before I left, I left her a nice card thanking her for their hospitality, along with a small gift of candies.  Lol. I felt bad that I didn’t have time to leave the others cards or gifts and promised that I that I would, once I returned home.  I recall that Kody was a little annoyed with me once during the visit, as I left some pecan shells in their tv viewing room!  Such a weird dream……I have NO idea what it meant at all! 🥴

What a dream!  Maybe Kody was annoyed about the pecan shells as he interpreted that you were assuming that they're all nuts.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

So hubby is feeling better. He’s vaccinated and it seems his symptoms are rapidly improving.

Such great news, I know we have all been wondering.  One weight off for you.  It's so hard to lose a longtime pet but this, too, will get better.  You will never forget but it will get easier with time.  Just doesn't seem like it right now.

Good luck with the move!

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Update….

So hubby is feeling better. He’s vaccinated and it seems his symptoms are rapidly improving.  
I’m still sad over my horse.  Thank you all for your kind words. 
Hubby has been in his job for 25 years now.  He’s burned out and unhappy.  We want to move South. He’s a high level IT manager for the State of Minnesota.  
He got bored working from home and took a part time job at Walmart. Started looking at their jobs….and he just accepted an offer Friday!   We are moving from Wisconsin to Arkansas and he starts December 4. Walmart is moving us, they are sending packers and everything. 
I’ve found a realtor in Bentonville. 
im so proud of my hubby.  I’ve lived all around the USA.  He’s lived here his whole life.  He’s taking a big leap!  

Excellent news, my prayers are answered and then some!  Thanks for letting us know and best of luck to you and your hubbie on his new job and your big move.  What a difference a couple of days can make!

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Walmart is moving us, they are sending packers and everything. 

The government moved us years ago. The movers pack everything. They even packed a waste paper basket I had next to my dryer where I put lint. They packed it as it was, lint and all. 🤣😂

It took a while before all of the stickers were removed from everything. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

The government moved us years ago. The movers pack everything. They even packed a waste paper basket I had next to my dryer where I put lint. They packed it as it was, lint and all. 🤣😂

It took a while before all of the stickers were removed from everything. 

Just finished our 3rd government move. We’ve gotten to the point to where we pack stuff ourselves in large bins and the movers move the bins—because we were tired of finding random books packed in with blankets. Or tools packed in with dry goods. Or a uniform jacket with badge used as packing material. 

They just grab stuff and throw it anywhere. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Just finished our 3rd government move. We’ve gotten to the point to where we pack stuff ourselves in large bins and the movers move the bins—because we were tired of finding random books packed in with blankets. Or tools packed in with dry goods. Or a uniform jacket with badge used as packing material. 

They just grab stuff and throw it anywhere. 

I prefer to pack myself too, deciding what to keep, donate or toss.  Movers would not recognize items of great sentimental value to me that deserve special treatment, and give special care to something I would not have wanted moved.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I prefer to pack myself too, deciding what to keep, donate or toss.  Movers would not recognize items of great sentimental value to me that deserve special treatment, and give special care to something I would not have wanted moved.

They break stuff, too. After our second move we claimed $3k of damaged items…….and got it (because we document so meticulously).

They destroyed my elliptical machine, stole a ladder, damaged our washing machine plus a bunch I’ve forgotten off the top of my head. 

This last time, I did not want my indoor cycle moved because I did not want it damaged but in the madness it was loaded on the truck. Luckily this company did a stellar job—nothing was damaged. They’re based on the east coast. 

There’s something about the out-west work ethic that’s shitty, we’ve found. Our first 2 movers were the laziest shitbags ever. Now that we’re on the east coast, we’re constantly shocked that people not only do their jobs, but they actually CARE. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

There’s something about the out-west work ethic that’s shitty, we’ve found. Our first 2 movers were the laziest shitbags ever. Now that we’re on the east coast, we’re constantly shocked that people not only do their jobs, but they actually CARE. 

I hear you.  Born and lived on the west coast until my 30s, I saw a distinct difference when I moved to the east.  When friends and family from the west come to visit, they are sometimes appalled at what they interpret as brusque attitude from locals.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Update….

Hubby has been in his job for 25 years now.  He’s burned out and unhappy.  We want to move South. He’s a high level IT manager for the State of Minnesota.  
He got bored working from home and took a part time job at Walmart. Started looking at their jobs….and he just accepted an offer Friday!   We are moving from Wisconsin to Arkansas and he starts December 4. Walmart is moving us, they are sending packers and everything. 
im so proud of my hubby.  I’ve lived all around the USA.  He’s lived here his whole life.  He’s taking a big leap!  

Oh, I'm so relieved for both of you.  Give that man hugs for us, and you too!  Thank you for letting us know.  

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Update….

Thank you for the update. I'm so glad to hear your husband is feeling better and you're excited to move. I know the pain of losing a beloved animal family member. I still miss my elderly kitty that I had to let go almost 2 years ago. And I regret the pain I caused her by delaying that decision for a few weeks, hoping for a turnaround. She'd rallied many times but the vet knew when she was out of time. And a horse you've had and loved for a quarter century is a very big loss.

• Love 12

Cool factoid: I was watching old episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm (seasons 5 and 6, filmed circa 2005). Tim Gibbons was a co-producer and then executive producer of the show. The same Tim Gibbons that is half of the creative/production team on Sister Wives. Puddle Monkey productions = Chris Poole/Tim Gibbons. Clever.

• Useful 6
7 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Cool factoid: I was watching old episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm (seasons 5 and 6, filmed circa 2005). Tim Gibbons was a co-producer and then executive producer of the show. The same Tim Gibbons that is half of the creative/production team on Sister Wives. Puddle Monkey productions = Chris Poole/Tim Gibbons. Clever.

That explains a lot!

now if only they’d start referring to Kody as “that bald bastard” and omg I’d love to see Kody take a sister wife like Suzy!!  She’d rip Robyn a new butthole and toss her out with the trash!  😂

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I hear you.  Born and lived on the west coast until my 30s, I saw a distinct difference when I moved to the east.  When friends and family from the west come to visit, they are sometimes appalled at what they interpret as brusque attitude from locals.

We’ve had the opposite experience—we find most people out east to be quite nice. Out west, it seemed more brusque to us. It was like simply being alive was a bother to others.

If we scheduled tech service at the house, 3/4 times they would be no-shows and wouldn’t even call to cancel—no apologies when you called to say “I took off work and your tech didn’t show”—they didn’t care.  When you went to the store out west, it was like customers were a bother to the employees (IF they showed up). Tasks were done half-assed, reception staff were rude, it made you afraid to ask for help at all.  

It felt like drivers out west were out to kill you (CA were the worst followed by NM). I don’t know what it was, if it was the oppressive sun/heat but everyone seemed so damned angry

The last town I lived in out west I was nearly run over 3 times while running, drivers gunned for puddles after a rain just to douse pedestrians and the general vibe was pure rage. I hated it there (southeast New Mexico). 

Long Island is heaven compared to the wild, angry west. The people are charming and colorful and I’m loving it. My anxiety is even less because people here have been so accommodating, I’m not afraid of strangers as much as before. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

People can be really mean and bizarre all over.  Crazy and aggressive driving is off the charts.  I’ve recently tried to do my part in being a good example. I now always offer to let anyone with a couple of items in line go ahead of me in stores.  I’ve done it before, but now make a concerted effort. I’m also asking any seniors or those parked in handicapped spaces, if I can push their cart back to the store.  Everyone is quite grateful. I hope it’s spreading a little kindness. As long as I’m healthy, I’ll keep doing it.  

• Love 15
8 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

It felt like drivers out west were out to kill you (CA were the worst followed by NM). I don’t know what it was, if it was the oppressive sun/heat but everyone seemed so damned angry

I'm so glad you're enjoying Long Island! I felt the same way in Las Vegas. Some awful close calls driving. And people would routinely pass on the left and then cut over in front of me to exit, rather than staying behind and moving to the right for the exit lane.  It happens here too but not as often. You do have to be careful if you go on I-95 (ie if you go north of the Whitestone bridge).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

It’s now dark by 5 pm and that makes me so depressed and sleepy. I hate winter.

I'm right there with you. I have the seasonal yuck anyway that seems to start earlier and get worse every year. The early darkness just feeds the deepening interior darkness. I need to make a doc appt to try and find some help, but we tried so many medications the last two years, and nothing worked, except for emptying my wallet 😆. I'm just so tired and have little hope over it at the moment.

I do have a 'happy' light that I have to remember to try. I just unearthed it from the closet. Also upped the D3, B complex, and making sure to get some outside time every day there's sun.

There is good stuff too, though! I have been enjoying the vibrant Fall colors and love observing the young deer family that grazes in our back meadow, (7 of them, all different ages and the one male just got his antlers!). I also heard one of the resident Barred owls a few nights ago. 

• Love 10

Guess I am in the minority but I love winter. I love bundling up and shoveling snow. I love the warm cozy darkness.  I love how beautiful the moon is on a snowy landscape.

Glad I live in the northern climes with the shorter days.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Came back to add: 

I hate wearing so many layers, I feel like an onion😂

I like it when it’s chilly enough to wear a sweater with a vest and scarf and that’s it.  

• Love 3