Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

On 9/15/2021 at 2:05 PM, laurakaye said:

Since going to Colorado I feel myself kind of slipping back into being "comfortably numb," - i.e., mentally shutting down because it's too much to do anything else.  I think it's because I don't see us going anywhere again until maybe late spring at the earliest (normally we head south in February to escape the dreariness of winter in Michigan but that ain't happening).  I am anxious about another hard winter, pandemic-wise.  I feel like it's getting to where I want to hibernate, turn inward, concentrate on little projects around the house, get back to doing yoga (probably online, which I hate but it's better than nothing), reading a lot of books, etc.  I still make it a practice to avoid the news but then I think to myself that I'm not really being an adult if I can't even handle two minutes of the national news, but those two minutes have been known to have a profound impact on the rest of my day, anxiety-wise, so I just don't look.  I've unfollowed almost my entire family on social media so I tend to avoid that too.  It's not the escape it once was, it just reminds me that if I scroll long enough, I'm bound to read something toxic and I'm so over it.

I hear you about fearing another hard winter of mostly hibernation.

Ever since the constant rain and 90+ heat slacked off my husband and I have been running around like crazy trying to fit everything in before the weather gets bad again.  We eat in restaurants outside only.  We walk on the trails, drive places, go to farmer's markets, do anything outside.  And it has been wonderful but that impending winter is always on our minds.  I will have to get an exercise bike or something before then because I'm not gaining another ten pounds for lack of exercise.  Last year I was grieving and dealing with some heavy crap in addition to the pandemic, so I couldn't also focus on exercise, but this year I will have to.  My health is too important to me.  My husband says we can mall walk but I don't much love the idea of walking indoors and dodging people while wearing masks.  Yeah, no.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I always equate the memory issues to a full filing cabinet. 

When we are young we have lots of empty drawers and folders that get filled up as we get older.  It takes longer and longer to find the right file when the drawers are full.

Now if we could just dump some of the useless folders like the lyrics to hits from the 70's.  I can still sing Build Me Up, Buttercup but can't figure out where I put one of my 50 pairs of cheater glasses five minutes after I took them off.

Haha, my father used to say the same thing about having more files as he got older and it taking longer to go through them to find the right memory!

My husband is always saying he wishes he could forget all those Flintstones episodes he has committed to memory forever so that he can at least remember why he came into the room.

LOL, I say the same thing about my 50 pairs of "cheaters".  Where do they all go?  My husband says they go where all those missing socks go.

• LOL 9
16 hours ago, Absolom said:

I find myself standing in the middle of a room looking around for a clue as to why I'm in that room.  That happens usually at least once a day now.

What you do here is - you ask yourself out loud, "what the (insert curse of choice) did I come in here for?"  Then you end up having a nice long conversation with yourself, where you mutter that the sink you just cleaned already has spots on it, you ask yourself if you have enough coffee to last the week because surely no one else is going to check on this or do you need to go to Aldi AGAIN and then you visit your secret candle cabinet because you know if you're going to Aldi you're probably going to end up with another candle so you'd better make room for it and then you remember that the laundry in the washer isn't going to dry itself and then you completely forget why you ever came into the room in the first place...........

Or maybe that's just me, never mind.  😎

15 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Now if we could just dump some of the useless folders like the lyrics to hits from the 70's.  I can still sing Build Me Up, Buttercup but can't figure out where I put one of my 50 pairs of cheater glasses five minutes after I took them off.

Well, thank you so much for the earworm.  And yes, I also know all of the lyrics.  😉

12 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I can't stand the feel of anything on my face, so I probably don't wear my specs as much as I should, and will end up with some squint furrows troughs before long. (I aways, always wear them for driving though, because safety first!)

Ooh, I had those but got rid of them using NexCare flexible clear tape.  You just place two pieces in a V-shape over those stupid lines and then one more small piece over the top of that (like an upside-down capital letter A).  I have been doing this every night for the past five years or so.  It took awhile but those lines (which I also totally got from squinting) were so pronounced that it looked like I always angry in pictures (at least to me).  Now they are far less pronounced than they used to be and I don't look mad anymore - mostly.

This unsolicited advice brought to you by not enough sleep, too much coffee and the letters LK. 😁

Edited by laurakaye
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 5

I’ve started making lists, and setting alarms on my phone as reminders. Of course that’s of no assistance when one walks into a room and can’t recall why.

When I worked for the Post Office, I would never remember to get stamps for myself. Age wouldn’t  have been a factor way back then. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 8
On 9/15/2021 at 10:43 AM, iwantcookies said:

How are you all doing? 

Doing ok actually. A little stressy with moving, but it’s better than where we live now—the town is a trash pit (the humans as well as actual trash).

We just sold our house and are off to Long Island next month. I can’t wait to leave the hell hole that is SE NM—we only came here for career advancement and 2 years later, we’re moving on (more quickly than we expected, too). The people here are nasty, trashy and mean—big oil pretty much runs things and it feels like the Wild West oftentimes. They do what they want and the mayor looks the other way. 

It’ll be nicer for running out there because it’ll actually be cool. We’re still in the 90s and sometimes 100 out here. SO over it. And being from WI, winters won’t be a problem. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, TurtlePower said:

Doing ok actually. A little stressy with moving, but it’s better than where we live now—the town is a trash pit (the humans as well as actual trash).

We just sold our house and are off to Long Island next month. I can’t wait to leave the hell hole that is SE NM—we only came here for career advancement and 2 years later, we’re moving on (more quickly than we expected, too). The people here are nasty, trashy and mean—big oil pretty much runs things and it feels like the Wild West oftentimes. They do what they want and the mayor looks the other way. 

It’ll be nicer for running out there because it’ll actually be cool. We’re still in the 90s and sometimes 100 out here. SO over it. And being from WI, winters won’t be a problem. 

I wish you the best of luck with your move and hope you love where you're moving on the Island.  You are certainly moving there at the best time as it is becoming cooler in this part of the country and the Fall is generally wonderful.  Not so much the Winters although they can be either mild or frigid.  Fortunately the Island doesn't see as much snow as my area.  I hope it isn't too much of a culture shock for you - I apologize but I forget if you have experience living in the Northeast.  The Island has its own particular culture and in many ways I like it.  I'll wave to you from across LI Sound!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I wish you the best of luck with your move and hope you love where you're moving on the Island.  You are certainly moving there at the best time as it is becoming cooler in this part of the country and the Fall is generally wonderful.  Not so much the Winters although they can be either mild or frigid.  Fortunately the Island doesn't see as much snow as my area.  I hope it isn't too much of a culture shock for you - I apologize but I forget if you have experience living in the Northeast.  The Island has its own particular culture and in many ways I like it.  I'll wave to you from across LI Sound!

Thanks! I think I’ll like it there, we’ll be close to Shirley/Mastic. I’ve got friends from the northeast but haven’t lived there myself, they’re kinda filling me in.

Hopefully it won’t be any more of a culture shock than where we are now—this place is truly a trash pit, the worst place I’ve ever lived in the US (and we’ve lived CA, AZ, NV, MO, WI, WY and MT). 

There’s trash everywhere, overgrown brush and weeds, broken-down trucks parked in front yards is common (so it looks like a junkyard), people don’t care for their properties, the power goes out somewhere in town every week (for NO REASON) and there’s little to do here so people do drugs and crime. It’s a hot, ugly, dusty, boring, ignorant, rude and nasty hell-hole. 

I’m optimistic about Long Island! 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Thanks! I think I’ll like it there, we’ll be close to Shirley/Mastic. I’ve got friends from the northeast but haven’t lived there myself, they’re kinda filling me in.

Hopefully it won’t be any more of a culture shock than where we are now—this place is truly a trash pit, the worst place I’ve ever lived in the US (and we’ve lived CA, AZ, NV, MO, WI, WY and MT). 

There’s trash everywhere, overgrown brush and weeds, broken-down trucks parked in front yards is common (so it looks like a junkyard), people don’t care for their properties, the power goes out somewhere in town every week (for NO REASON) and there’s little to do here so people do drugs and crime. It’s a hot, ugly, dusty, boring, ignorant, rude and nasty hell-hole. 

I’m optimistic about Long Island! 

Oh you're going to be in a nice area - pretty far out.  Should be more quiet than closer in toward NYC.  The only problem will be getting from there off the Island and I'm sure your friends have filled you in on the legendary traffic, which depending on the time of year or day can be brutal.  You will be close enough to take day trips out to the quiet North Fork, and close to the Hamptons which I miss - I haven't been there in years so I can't talk about how it is now, but I'm sure it's still a nice area.  One of my good friends lives in Greenlawn, further West by about 45 minutes by car which Google says is 32 miles so that should give you an idea about the traffic right now.

I confess that I too forget where you live now.  Sounds awful.  You are going to love where you are LI by comparison.

• Love 7

My mom was born on Staten Island, ginger90!

Turtlepower, I'm so excited to read about your new adventure! I'm coming along with you in spirit, as I've not been to that side of the country yet.

I was born and raised in California, and as an adult, lived all over the state. In 2017, we lived just below Silicon Valley and rents had just started going way crazier than normal, so we decided to take the leap and move to southern middle Tennessee and buy my sil's little log cabin house. We're very rural and in the forest, so it's peaceful and beautiful and has wild animals, but it really hates technology. (My millennial gamer son took one look at how awful the internet is, how our cells don't work here and hightailed it back to Calif the first day, lol)

It's been a little bit of culture shock, and the humidity is like nothing I've ever experienced, but I'm glad we chose to have the adventure. I do miss a lot about Calif, but still marvel over rain in the summer, so many shades of green, seeing the stars so clearly, and fireflies. 

• Love 13

I went shopping the last two weekends, looking for a dress to wear to a wedding.  Five stores - barely any selection.  Prior to this desperate search, I would wander through the dress aisles of JC Penney, TJ Maxx, etc., and think - look at all these cute dresses, but I don't need one!  Then when I do need one, ZILCH.  I was fortunate that the one dress I did find and try on will do the job, but now I need shoes....

I have been hearing the panicked reports that whatever you need to buy for Christmas, you should start getting RIGHT NOW because Covid, shipping, backorders, etc.  But this year everyone is getting gift cards to local businesses that are trying to stay afloat, so I'm not too concerned.  It's just weird, the things that basically disappear during a pandemic.  I remember last year when I was searching high and low for active dry yeast packets, rice, taco sauce, gelatin, etc.

• Love 7
On 9/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, Yeah No said:

Oh you're going to be in a nice area - pretty far out.  Should be more quiet than closer in toward NYC.  The only problem will be getting from there off the Island and I'm sure your friends have filled you in on the legendary traffic, which depending on the time of year or day can be brutal.  You will be close enough to take day trips out to the quiet North Fork, and close to the Hamptons which I miss - I haven't been there in years so I can't talk about how it is now, but I'm sure it's still a nice area.  One of my good friends lives in Greenlawn, further West by about 45 minutes by car which Google says is 32 miles so that should give you an idea about the traffic right now.

I confess that I too forget where you live now.  Sounds awful.  You are going to love where you are LI by comparison.

Southeast New Mexico currently. Las Vegas was a haven by comparison. I miss Vegas, but not the heat. I had long covid last year, when it first began, and it has affected my ability to tolerate the intense sun (I also developed a dairy allergy and kidney problems!). I was hoping vaccination would help the heat sensitivity, but it hasn’t (got my third dose last month due to autoimmune issues and steroid meds). Anyway, this part of the state is a corrupt, hot, dusty, stabby trash pit. 

I’m really looking forward to Long Island. And clouds. And snow. And actual seasons. And multicultural communities (though we have a large Hispanic population, the redneck here is strong making it miserable). I’m looking forward to taking the trains into the city even! 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I went shopping the last two weekends, looking for a dress to wear to a wedding.  Five stores - barely any selection.  Prior to this desperate search, I would wander through the dress aisles of JC Penney, TJ Maxx, etc., and think - look at all these cute dresses, but I don't need one!  Then when I do need one, ZILCH.  I was fortunate that the one dress I did find and try on will do the job, but now I need shoes....

I have been hearing the panicked reports that whatever you need to buy for Christmas, you should start getting RIGHT NOW because Covid, shipping, backorders, etc.  But this year everyone is getting gift cards to local businesses that are trying to stay afloat, so I'm not too concerned.  It's just weird, the things that basically disappear during a pandemic.  I remember last year when I was searching high and low for active dry yeast packets, rice, taco sauce, gelatin, etc.

I hear you!  It's getting harder and harder to find nice women's clothing especially if you need to try it on first, like with a dress.  It was already going in a bad direction before the pandemic but now it's downright awful.  When everyone was mostly at home this wasn't such a big issue but this Summer it has become one.  Due to the supply issues, they're putting less out on the racks and when it's gone that's it.  Plus with so many people finally having their canceled and rescheduled events over the summer demand was really high.  My EBay sales were insane this summer.  Even stuff that sat online for 2 years sold like crazy. I predicted this last year because I knew that eventually women were going to need clothing again and have a hard time finding it.  It's like no one in any position to make a difference cares about women's clothing anymore and the pandemic just made that worse.  

Kohls is making changes that IMO make no sense probably due to the weirdness in supply and demand right now.   They are putting a huge Sephora right in a lot of the stores taking up space from the women's clothing, (heaven forbid they shrink the men's department but that's another rant).  I think they're trying anything to make more money but shrinking their clothing offerings in favor of makeup and athletic wear seems ridiculous to me.  We can get that anywhere even online.  Plus in most of the locations there are Sephora stores very close by or Ulta's right in the same plaza.  We need clothing stores that let us try stuff on because lately we can't just get that anywhere.  Middle class brick and mortar clothing chains like Dress Barn have gone under and there are fewer places for us to shop.  I feel sorry for Penney's - I think they are doing the best they can.  Near me I have noticed them putting out the most stuff all through but it has been selling fast.  Even on EBay or Poshmark now I can't find stuff because inventory is low.  If you see something you'd better buy it or else risk losing it to someone else.

It's like that with stuff other than clothing too.  When I go to Walmart the food shelves are still half empty even this far into the pandemic.  Meanwhile the supermarkets are doing better but it's still not the way it was before and prices have gone sky high.  When is this going to end??

Sorry you just hit a button with me!!

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Southeast New Mexico currently. Las Vegas was a haven by comparison. I miss Vegas, but not the heat. I had long covid last year, when it first began, and it has affected my ability to tolerate the intense sun (I also developed a dairy allergy and kidney problems!). I was hoping vaccination would help the heat sensitivity, but it hasn’t (got my third dose last month due to autoimmune issues and steroid meds). Anyway, this part of the state is a corrupt, hot, dusty, stabby trash pit. 

I’m really looking forward to Long Island. And clouds. And snow. And actual seasons. And multicultural communities (though we have a large Hispanic population, the redneck here is strong making it miserable). I’m looking forward to taking the trains into the city even! 

I still think you're going to love it, but be careful what you wish for with the 4 seasons.  We've had the extremes of weather in this part of the country in the past couple of years.  Parching drought last year and too much heat, humidity, rain and tropical storms this year.  This time of year is beautiful but Winter is coming and these days it's anyone's guess what we're going to get.  Some Winters are mild but others have gone down into the single digits for weeks.  At least it isn't boring, LOL.

Speaking of a third dose, I am happy to hear you got one - My brother in law who just finished chemo and is now cancer free got one too!  I'm not happy about the recommendation that only those over 65 and with immune issues get the boosters after 8 months.  At 63 with multiple conditions no one is going to tell me I can't get a booster.  NO ONE, LOL.  😉

• Love 8

I’m glad I bought 2 coats for $50 last winter. This year inventory is low and prices are high. I figured a few extra coats can’t hurt.

Also got winter boots for $10.00 in Kohl’s when they re opened last time. Do I need more shoes? No. But for $10 why not.

JC penne closed a bunch of stores by me. I bought winter clothes for cheap. Next spring I will toss most of them. I got too many clothes. 

As you can tell I worry that I’m gonna freeze in the winter!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hear you!  It's getting harder and harder to find nice women's clothing especially if you need to try it on first, like with a dress.  It was already going in a bad direction before the pandemic but now it's downright awful.  When everyone was mostly at home this wasn't such a big issue but this Summer it has become one.  Due to the supply issues, they're putting less out on the racks and when it's gone that's it.  Plus with so many people finally having their canceled and rescheduled events over the summer demand was really high.  My EBay sales were insane this summer.  Even stuff that sat online for 2 years sold like crazy. I predicted this last year because I knew that eventually women were going to need clothing again and have a hard time finding it.  It's like no one in any position to make a difference cares about women's clothing anymore and the pandemic just made that worse.  

Kohls is making changes that IMO make no sense probably due to the weirdness in supply and demand right now.   They are putting a huge Sephora right in a lot of the stores taking up space from the women's clothing, (heaven forbid they shrink the men's department but that's another rant).  I think they're trying anything to make more money but shrinking their clothing offerings in favor of makeup and athletic wear seems ridiculous to me.  We can get that anywhere even online.  Plus in most of the locations there are Sephora stores very close by or Ulta's right in the same plaza.  We need clothing stores that let us try stuff on because lately we can't just get that anywhere.  Middle class brick and mortar clothing chains like Dress Barn have gone under and there are fewer places for us to shop.  I feel sorry for Penney's - I think they are doing the best they can.  Near me I have noticed them putting out the most stuff all through but it has been selling fast.  Even on EBay or Poshmark now I can't find stuff because inventory is low.  If you see something you'd better buy it or else risk losing it to someone else.

It's like that with stuff other than clothing too.  When I go to Walmart the food shelves are still half empty even this far into the pandemic.  Meanwhile the supermarkets are doing better but it's still not the way it was before and prices have gone sky high.  When is this going to end??

Sorry you just hit a button with me!!

It's a labor and supply chain problem.  I think at least 50-60 ships are waiting off the coast of California to be unloaded.  They don't have the manpower or truck drivers to get it where they need to send it.  No empty shipping containers to send back for more product.  This is worldwide, not just in the US.  My daughter said they are having their halloween stuff air freight in order to get something one the shelf.  They will make no money on it at all this year.  They are not even getting everything they are supposed to get.  It's crazy, they don't know how much of the Christmas set they will get.  My daughter also looks for certain items for projects at Dirt Cheap.  Their shelves are half empty.  Stores don't have much left to salvage.

Edited by Pickleinthemiddle
Spelling
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

The malls around here have been dead every time I’ve been lately, I fear for their survival. The selection is pathetic, though. It’s hardly worth going anymore. Stores that used to be crammed full have big spaces between the half empty racks. I even noticed it when we were at Disney World a couple weeks ago, the selection was nothing like years past. 

I just finished binging Lula Rich, and wow those owners are a piece of work. You could tell they’d rehearsed and it was just bizarre how they’d hold hands and look at the camera with rictus smiles on their faces. Absolutely dreadful what they’ve done to people while pretending they care and want to help. I can see how people without a strong support system or a lot of friends (cough, Meri, cough) could get caught up in that atmosphere, though.  I wish WA state would charge them with perjury in their depositions, what a bunch of liars. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

It's a labor and supply chain problem.  I think at least 50-60 ships are waiting off the coast of California to be unloaded.  They don't have the manpower or truck drivers to get it where they need to send it. 

I think what the "lazy people, they just don't want to work, they just want to sit home on unemployment" crowd seems to forget is that 670 THOUSAND people have died.  So figure half are above working age and that still leaves 335,000 less humans to do the jobs.  That's a huge number of workers of all ages and ranges of skills to have permanently disappeared.

And as Delta rampages among the brainless unvaccinated and anti-maskers, it's culling the herd at a rate of 1 out of every 500 deaths. It's only going to get worse.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

It's a labor and supply chain problem.  I think at least 50-60 ships are waiting off the coast of California to be unloaded.  They don't have the manpower or truck drivers to get it where they need to send it.  No empty shipping containers to send back for more product.  This is worldwide, not just in the US.  My daughter said they are having their halloween stuff air freight in order to get something one the shelf.  They will make no money on it at all this year.  They are not even getting everything they are supposed to get.  It's crazy, they don't know how much of the Christmas set they will get.  My daughter also looks for certain items for projects at Dirt Cheap.  Their shelves are half empty.  Stores don't have much left to salvage.

I noticed some stores like Macy's and Penney's put some tops out late in the season that would usually have been put out months earlier.  Now it's all on clearance.  I bought some nice tops for only $8.99 each at Penney's.  I'm a petite XL so it's hard for me to find clothes anymore.  The selection is always limited at best but now it's even worse.

Last year when the Lord & Taylor at my local mall was going out of business I bought a bunch of expensive bathing suits at rock bottom prices to sell on EBay.  The cashiers thought I was nuts - I must have bought 60 suits at once.  They had so many out on the racks that wasn't even half of it.  These were $200 suits for $39.99.  I sold them for upwards of $75.00 each this year.  They FLEW out of my house.  I was taking 2-3 to the Post Office almost every DAY.  I feel like a bottom feeder now.  What a sad situation.  There are fewer and fewer stores left to buy those bathing suits anymore.  And most women I know would rather try them on first.  I think a lot of my buyers knew the brand and how it would fit them.  I got a lot of repeat customers from warm climates.  Here in the Northeast a woman might own one bathing suit but in places like FL and CA women own at least a few a piece.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

So speaking of clothes, I am thinking about pairing a heather-gray knit tank top with a black maxi skirt for this 5pm Friday wedding.  The tank is from Gap, it's fitted and has a higher neck than a normal tank.  I would be far more comfortable in this than in the dress I managed to salvage from the Kohl's clearance rack.  If I added a pendant necklace, do you lovely COL's think it would work?

Honestly, part of this is because I haven't dressed up in so long I think I forgot how to do it - paired with a complete lack of choices at the stores.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

So speaking of clothes, I am thinking about pairing a heather-gray knit tank top with a black maxi skirt for this 5pm Friday wedding.  The tank is from Gap, it's fitted and has a higher neck than a normal tank.  I would be far more comfortable in this than in the dress I managed to salvage from the Kohl's clearance rack.  If I added a pendant necklace, do you lovely COL's think it would work?

Honestly, part of this is because I haven't dressed up in so long I think I forgot how to do it - paired with a complete lack of choices at the stores.

I think it would be lovely, and comfort is important! What type of pendant? Color(s)?

• Love 4

I have a pendant with a blue stone, I have one with a pink tear-drop shape, and one that looks like three necklaces.

This is just way more complicated than I bargained for, lol.  I am going to go home today and try everything on and see what I can come up with.  Meanwhile, my husband will ask me to iron his pants 30 minutes before leaving and will jump in the shower 10 minutes prior and still be ready before I am.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

I have a pendant with a blue stone, I have one with a pink tear-drop shape, and one that looks like three necklaces.

This is just way more complicated than I bargained for, lol.  I am going to go home today and try everything on and see what I can come up with.  Meanwhile, my husband will ask me to iron his pants 30 minutes before leaving and will jump in the shower 10 minutes prior and still be ready before I am.

When I’m deciding on some things I take a picture of myself. Choosing frames for glasses is good for this. 

What colors are in the one that looks like 3? This may be a good choice since you’re wearing solid colors.

Disclaimer: I am not a fashion person. 😊

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I still think you're going to love it, but be careful what you wish for with the 4 seasons.  We've had the extremes of weather in this part of the country in the past couple of years.  Parching drought last year and too much heat, humidity, rain and tropical storms this year.  This time of year is beautiful but Winter is coming and these days it's anyone's guess what we're going to get.  Some Winters are mild but others have gone down into the single digits for weeks.  At least it isn't boring, LOL.

Speaking of a third dose, I am happy to hear you got one - My brother in law who just finished chemo and is now cancer free got one too!  I'm not happy about the recommendation that only those over 65 and with immune issues get the boosters after 8 months.  At 63 with multiple conditions no one is going to tell me I can't get a booster.  NO ONE, LOL.  😉

I survived the 120s with body armor in the desert (don’t ever want to again) and -50 degree runs in Wisconsin. I’m excited for whatever! Anything is better than dry and hot 3/4 of the year. Nothing ruins the winter holidays like temps in the 80s and no snow (though we did get to 0 one day last February, it was so anomalous—I did go out and run in my snow pants!). 

Snow pants and thermal tights make anything possible in winter. I. Can’t. WAIT. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 10

So talking about online shopping, I found SO MUCH this last year on fb marketplace. 7 For All Mankind jeans for $20 (they’re normally $200-ish), Citizens of Humanity, Miss Me, Rock Revival, Rag and Bone all for amazing prices. 

You can’t try them on obviously, but if you already know the brand and fit, you can find some really good items. I now have probably 40+ pair of jeans in skinny, straight, low cut, high rise, flare and boot cut (no crops though they look stupid on me). Whatever fashion throws out, I should be able to handle! 

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

What colors are in the one that looks like 3? This may be a good choice since you’re wearing solid colors.

Just gold, nothing too fancy.

Disclaimer: I have had the luxury of wearing scrubs for my job for the past 15 years so it's not really my fault that I don't know how to dress, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

So talking about online shopping, I found SO MUCH this last year on fb marketplace. 7 For All Mankind jeans for $20 (they’re normally $200-ish), Citizens of Humanity, Miss Me, Rock Revival, Rag and Bone all for amazing prices. 

You can’t try them on obviously, but if you already know the brand and fit, you can find some really good items. I now have probably 40+ pair of jeans in skinny, straight, low cut, high rise, flare and boot cut (no crops though they look stupid on me). Whatever fashion throws out, I should be able to handle! 

I do that too with pants - buy the brands and styles I know online but even then they often don't fit right because sizing is so non-standard and depending on the factory they were made in the actual size may vary.  I am a nightmare to fit because I am short and all I have to do is gain or lose 5 pounds and I can be in a different size.  I have Summer and Winter pants because I'm bigger in the Summer due to water retention/edema.  I have a big plastic tub in my garage full of jeans in various sizes and believe me I go back and forth between sizes a lot.  Due to the expanding midsection issue of my stage of life I am a big fan of the pull on stretch jeans, LOL.  This is my post-menopause reality.  That is why I prefer to be able to try them on first!  I was always hard to fit - short and curvy, but clothes, especially pants are sized to fit a younger woman's figure so now it's always a nightmare.  Now they're trying to move on from legging and jegging fits into wider legs which don't work for my figure anymore.  I am determined not to look frumpy in my old age but now I realize why at this age a lot of women just give up and wear sweat pants all the time. 

• Love 8

If you’re on Facebook or Instagram, there’s a stylist who gives fashion advice for women over 40. It’s called The Well Dressed Life, and I’ve gotten some good ideas. She wrote a blog post about why LulaRoe type clothes are terrible, so she had instant credibility with me, lol. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I vote pendant with blue stone! It will match the simplicity and clean lines of the tank and skirt.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Disclaimer: I have had the luxury of wearing scrubs for my job for the past 15 years so it's not really my fault that I don't know how to dress, lol.

I hear that!! I’m currently doing home health and one of the people I have prefers no scrubs. That’s fine, her preference, but I’d rather the scrubs.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

https://www.altaonline.com/dispatches/a5143/a-tale-of-two-killings/

This is an example of a case that did not receive wide coverage.

Usually media covers missing pretty Caucasian women. 

This case received almost no coverage. Laci Peterson received a ton.

Poor Evelyn’s family got no justice. Evelyn was found. Both her sons remain missing. 

That is a heartbreaking story— sadly, there are too many stories like this 😢.

I am currently listening to season three of the podcast Up and Vanished (highly recommended), and this time the host is investigating a missing indigenous woman from Montana and the lack of concern about what happened to her is very sickening, and also very eye-opening.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I am currently listening to season three of the podcast Up and Vanished (highly recommended), and this time the host is investigating a missing indigenous woman from Montana and the lack of concern about what happened to her is very sickening, and also very eye-opening.

The thing about missing person cases is that they can be very tricky— some people “go missing” on purpose. If one does not have family members, next- of- kin to advocate for an investigation, it is highly unlikely that much will be done.

Add to that the fact that if the missing person is an addict or sex worker— good luck getting much or any attention. Many people of all ethnicities, races, gender, ages go missing every year— most do not get widespread media coverage.

Itis true that cases that do get covered by the media tend to be those that they feel will garner the most views—that of the girl- next-door, the mom who would never leave her kids,etc. 

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Adiba said:

Itis true that cases that do get covered by the media tend to be those that they feel will garner the most views—that of the girl- next-door, the mom who would never leave her kids,etc. 

That plus I was reading that often the ones that make the biggest news are people with families that actively seek the media exposure and know how to work that angle for the most attention.  Unfortunately poor indigenous people often don't have that.  Here in CT we just had a big story about a missing transgender teen that was later found alive and well.  

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

The Mormon Church is mandating masks in temples.  Don't know why that surprises me but they are not exactly known to be compliant in a lot of areas.

Perhaps because 50% of Mormons are vaccine hesitant and a mask is a lot smaller than a set of magic underwear.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Perhaps because 50% of Mormons are vaccine hesitant and a mask is a lot smaller than a set of magic underwear.

But they will buy and consume whatever energy drink that hasn’t been proven to have any of the health effects that it promises, just because their fellow Mormon sells it. Sounds about right.

• Love 5

Some black pandemic humor courtesy of Reddit:

On seeing the Covid case count map of the U.S. in various shades of yellow, orange and red, and Nebraska is grayed out the following exchange occurred:

Question: Why is there no data from Nebraska?

Answer:  Everyone in Nebraska is dead.

Answer:  Because they decided the pandemic was over so stopped reporting entirely.

Currently CT has the lowest rate of Covid of all 50 states (as of a few days ago).

Answer:  We are natural social distancers.  When this shit hit last March and the guidance came to stay 6 feet apart, Connecticut residents said "Why so close?"

Tennessee

Question:  WTF is going on in Tennessee?

Answer:  Rednecks Redneckin'

Answer:  God's will.

(My apologies at the political incorrectness!  Laughing in spite of myself!  No offense to any people from Tennessee or Nebraska (or Connecticut, LOL).  My husband has cousins in Tennessee and they are the first to proudly call themselves Rednecks.)

• LOL 11
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

Plus the MLM Queens are all supporting the church with their tithing so it's best not to kill the golden geese.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

Current CDC map:

image.thumb.png.4a380d4ef729d655b95e8c36f63d487a.png

Today CT's positivity rate was 2.28.  New York's was 2.75.  California's was 3.1 according to local state news websites.  It fluctuates daily and they often switch places. I saw that map on the CDC website and they're saying this is supposedly based on the average positivity rate for the past 7 days.  It places CT at between 3 - 4.9% which is way too high.  We have been fluctuating under 3% for the past week except for one day, which was early in that week in which we saw a spike of 4.22%.  But most days we were under 3%.  Even with that one day spike our 7 day positivity rate is still 2.78% and our rate is trending downward.

• Useful 2
8 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

But hallelujah that I will have enough money coming in now to stop worrying about finances - and most importantly, to stop waking up every morning facing another day of job applications.

Congratulations!  And maybe this is a sign that kitty will be happy with you since you'll be working from home.   You don't always get the pet you want but you always get the pet you need!

Sounds like a really safe environment with mandatory vaccinations and masks.  Doesn't get much better than that!

• Love 12