Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

OH, I want to join!!  I don't actually have talent but I will very enthusiastically play either tambourine or cowbell!

I volunteer to dance, I've picked up some fancy footwork ideas from those high-stepping Browns.

• LOL 11
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

COL/tin hatter here too. I will never have an Alexa, or the other company's similar devices in my home as I just can't believe they don't have some way to tap into the device and listen/record things that are going on in the home. /removes tin hat and goes back to the porch to retrieve her hose...  😊

12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

My mother was adopted and I know nothing of my heritage on that side of the family.  I did order an Ancestry test a year ago, but it still sits on my desk for just that reason. TPTB are just gathering too much private inforrmation and that knowledge can go into the wrong hands so easily.

I so agree with all of you!  

Like the old joke, "I'm not paranoid - why is everyone against me?"  It's just too Brave New World for me to dill with those things.  I'll be donning my Tin Hat, as well.  

• Love 10
On 12/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, Gramto6 said:

COL/tin hatter here too. I will never have an Alexa, or the other company's similar devices in my home as I just can't believe they don't have some way to tap into the device and listen/record things that are going on in the home. /removes tin hat and goes back to the porch to retrieve her hose...  😊

Me too!  That thing is never coming in my house.  Not that it is very interesting in the Natalie home, but my mother in law works for the Gov (background clearance up to the Pres) and I get paranoid about that.  I KNOW we have been looked at completely and don't want to give them another mode.  Yes, my tin hat is being held firmly in place with barrettes!

On 12/8/2019 at 7:38 AM, DaphneCat said:

OH, I want to join!!  I don't actually have talent but I will very enthusiastically play either tambourine or cowbell!

I gotta fever and the only prescription for it is more cowbell!  

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, BradandJanet said:

Ditto with the smart refrigerators and other kitchen appliances that talk to the cloud. I don't want my fridge spying on me, and I know it would. 

It's downright scary.

Good grief you can even make Alexa run your faucet for you.  Never can figure that one out, especially the commercial with it filling the dog bowl.  You still need to go over and put the dang bowl into the sink and back on the floor so what is the point?  Can we get any lazier?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Ditto with the smart refrigerators and other kitchen appliances that talk to the cloud. I don't want my fridge spying on me, and I know it would. 

Exactly. One of "their" goals is not to waste advertising dollars.

For example: If your frig tells "them" that you have Heinz ketchup on the shelf the goal becomes that you should see Del Monte ketchup commercials because Heinz would waste money showing you commercials for what you already buy. 

Bible.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 12/8/2019 at 8:49 AM, lookeyloo said:

it is frightening what TPTB already have on us.  Just being connected to the inter webs does that.  And I'm convinced smart phones listen.  We don't have an Alexa or google whatever but sometimes when I am talking to Mr. lookeyloo about something, up pops an ad for it on Facebook.  Or I get an email about it, unsolicited.  Of course I could go without it all, but, I don't want to and figure the damage is already done!  I am not about to live off the grid.

I hear you.  I generally block ads on web pages but there have been those rare times it's been off and I've been shown ads for things Mr. Yeah No was searching for on his own computer.  It was very specific stuff that I would never search for myself.  Also, we never use each other's computers.  It boggles the mind to know that they can find out who else is on the same network with you and show them ads based on your search history.  Not that I care that much if my husband sees stuff I've been searching for, but what if it was a gift for him?  Yikes! 

Short of living off the grid there are a lot of things we can do to prevent being tracked and spied on by websites and apps.  I also use a VPN, a tracking and adware blocker, and a privacy browser a lot of the time and try not to grant too many permissions to apps on my cell phone either.  It's probably still not enough but at least it's better than nothing.  I know people that turn their location tracking with Google off too.  I don't do that because I personally don't have anything to hide and don't care if anyone knows where I go but I have friends in businesses that require client privacy that do care.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

In response to DJ post on Mariah thread re. themes for upcoming season...

Please also spare us variations on the Catfish theme.  The only reference to the CF I would be interested in would be to hear Meri declare:  "YES!, I went looking for love in all the wrong places because I was dethroned and no longer was powerful.  I bided my time in the family until Prince Charming appeared to sweep me away.  It didn't pan out but I'll stick around until the rill dill comes my way or until the program is cancelled, whichever comes first."

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Sandy W said:

In response to DJ post on Mariah thread re. themes for upcoming season...

Please also spare us variations on the Catfish theme.  The only reference to the CF I would be interested in would be to hear Meri declare:  "YES!, I went looking for love in all the wrong places because I was dethroned and no longer was powerful.  I bided my time in the family until Prince Charming appeared to sweep me away.  It didn't pan out but I'll stick around until the rill dill comes my way or until the program is cancelled, whichever comes first."

From what I saw in the clip all that understanding and blabbering Kootie did during the episode with the other catfish "victim" was a bunch of BS just like we said.

He acted all sorry for her and how it also happened to Meri because the catfisher was such a sneaky awful person who victimized people...... But now he's telling the therapist that Merii won't own up to her part and always wants to be the victim.

So which is it Kootie?  🙄

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

From what I saw in the clip all that understanding and blabbering Kootie did during the episode with the other catfish "victim" was a bunch of BS just like we said.

He acted all sorry for her and how it also happened to Meri because the catfisher was such a sneaky awful person who victimized people...... But now he's telling the therapist that Merii won't own up to her part and always wants to be the victim.

It's whatever he and the producers think will play out the best in front of the cameras.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

They ALL are very aware of what's posted on social media.  After trying to sell the Meri as victim of evil people when she was "just looking for friends" story, they are, I'm sure, aware that approximately 5 people actually bought it.  So either Kody keeps trying to spout the party line (making him look even stupider than he normally does) or he shifts the blame to Meri.  They've ALL seen the pictures so at this point they really can only try to salvage what little dignity they have left and start saying that Meri wasn't blameless.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

They ALL are very aware of what's posted on social media.  After trying to sell the Meri as victim of evil people when she was "just looking for friends" story, they are, I'm sure, aware that approximately 5 people actually bought it.  So either Kody keeps trying to spout the party line (making him look even stupider than he normally does) or he shifts the blame to Meri.  They've ALL seen the pictures so at this point they really can only try to salvage what little dignity they have left and start saying that Meri wasn't blameless.

Exactly... Their level of hypocrisy is exhausting.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Sofa, I have two vertical frown lines, and I'm over 60.  Would Botox help me at all?

No huge dill if it won't.  I'm fortunate to not have that horizontal line like Christine.

If a line is present at rest, (when you have a neutral expression), it is not going to improve with Botox, as all Botox does is immobilise the muscle that moves the face (which over time creates the lines). The ‘eleven lines’ you’re talking about may soften a little, but Botox won’t erase them if they are already etched.  

A combination of options like Botox and dermal fillers perhaps may work if appropriate (fillers like Bellafill or Radiesse, Restylane Lyft or Juvederm Ultra XC all last about 5 years). In Australia as an RN, I can inject these under the guidance of a surgeon, who only needs to consult with the patient and approve the dosage, but I’m not sure of the regulations in America.

If the lines were a big dill to you, then make an appointment with a plastic surgeon and consult with them about the options available, but otherwise remember my favourite quote -  ‘wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon the heart. The spirit should never grow old’ - 🖤 john kenneth galbraith

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Thank you, Sofa.  I've been told by my eye doctor that Medicare will pay for an eyelid lift for my droopiness when it can be demonstrated that my visual field is lessened.  She also tells me that is hereditary, too.  My late sister had droopy eyelids even sooner than I did, so I believe it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Thank you, Sofa.  I've been told by my eye doctor that Medicare will pay for an eyelid lift for my droopiness when it can be demonstrated that my visual field is lessened.  She also tells me that is hereditary, too.  My late sister had droopy eyelids even sooner than I did, so I believe it.  

Oh you’re so welcome. Yes definitely a genetic component with needing upper blepharoplasty and yes it definitely should be covered by Medicare if your eyelid obstructs your vision to a certain degree. A nice simple day surgery 😊 good luck with it. 

• Love 2

@Sofa Sloth I love your postings.  So informative.  I wish we could fly you to the US and give us all personal consultations!!!  I had an eye lift about 15 years ago - insurance paid much to my surprise. The surgeon did a field of vision test and said "your insurance will pay". Really?  And it did.  And after the surgery I had to wear sun glasses because my visors were gone, meaning the overhang of my lids.  Now 15 years later, I am older, turning 76, and I can see the scars more clearly.  I am not interested in any more plastic surgeries.  The eye lift is still pretty good. I have a lot of wrinkles elsewhere. My beauty advice to my 16 year old granddaughter is sunscreen.

• Love 6

I've been applying Hyaluronic Acid twice a day and putting my moisturizer over it once it dries.... my entire face and neck and I have to say I'm amazed how much better my skin looks in just 3 weeks of using... its so much smoother and starting to look dewy and so soft... i love it.

Hubby is so impressed he's doing it too.  😋

Edited by Joan of Argh
Spelling again, lol
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

Below are the best proven active ingredients, to look for in your skin care products (which are all fully backed by science). 

Zinc oxide, (anti-inflammatory, best physical sunscreen blocks UVA and B rays without irritation) - look for in a day cream. 

3-0-ethyl asorbic acid (vitamin c - helps protect skin cells against UV-induced oxidative & free radical damage) - look for in day cream/serum

Hyaluronic acid or Squalane (skin smoothing plumping/ moisture)- look for in day or night cream/serum 

Niacinamide (vitamin B) multi-tasker for pigmentation/ageing/acne - look for in  day or night cream/serum

Mandelic/glycolic/lactic acid (AHAs) improve skin cell turnover for aging skin - look for in an exfoliator/cleanser  or possibly day/night cream/serum.

Retinol (vitamin a) multi-tasker for ageing/pigmentation/acne - look for in a night serum/cream.

Edited by Sofa Sloth
  • Useful 7
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Wasn't sure which thread to post this on - Meri, Mykelti, Mariah - but this article about "Instagram Face" from the New Yorker just dropped in my feed...

Well, on the plus side I'll be easy to pick out in a crowd of cyborgs.  Have only had one procedure on my eyelids and that was for ptosis and was absolutely necessary.  Other than that, what you see is what you get.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 12/14/2019 at 7:52 PM, Joan of Argh said:

I've been applying Hyaluronic Acid twice a day and putting my moisturizer over it once it dries.... my entire face and neck and I have to say I'm amazed how much better my skin looks in just 3 weeks of using... its so much smoother and starting to look dewy and so soft... i love it.

Can I ask what brand of hyaluronic acid you are using?

Also, regarding the "eleven" lines....I was pretty young when I realized that I looked like I was always scowling in pictures due to those lines.  I also sleep on my side with a pillow over my head so in the morning, those lines were fierce.  I started researching Frownies on Makeup Alley and someone mentioned in the comments that Nexcare Flexible Clear tape works even better and is much, much cheaper.  I have been using the tape now religiously every night for about three years.  I basically take three small pieces and make an upside-down "A" with the tape pieces and place them between my eyes, smoothing out the lines.  It took a decent amount of time to see a difference but now at age 53, the lines are far less pronounced to the point where some mornings, the lines are difficult to see.

@Sofa Sloth...what tips do you have for a neck/chest area that is sagging and crepey due to being a tanning fanatic in the late '80's?  ☹️

• Love 1
On 12/18/2019 at 3:53 AM, laurakaye said:

@Sofa Sloth...what tips do you have for a neck/chest area that is sagging and crepey due to being a tanning fanatic in the late '80's?  ☹️

Hey @laurakaye you’re not alone! It’s a common complaint in us women who laid in the sun and solariums in our youth and are now paying for it 😞 

The décolletage, chest and neck is thinner than facial skin with less oil glands, so it can be harder to see results on than our facial skin with products and treatments. Many good active facial ingredients like retinol, or treatments like chemical peels which work well, are just not suitable for this delicate area unfortunately.

In terms of home care, I would look into a good quality targeted neck/décolletage cream for that specific area. Make sure you are using sunscreen always to prevent further damage. Simple things like using silicone décolletage protectors (google is your friend 😉) and sleeping on your back at night, may also help improve skin tone and prevent further damage.

Laser treatments may be able to help slightly improve skin tone, pigmentation and fine lines, but usually once the skin is sagging significantly, it means the underlying structure is lax and your only options that will greatly improve appearance are surgical, (like having a neck lift or facelift or fat grafting). 

• Useful 3
10 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Can I ask what brand of hyaluronic acid you are using?

Also, regarding the "eleven" lines....I was pretty young when I realized that I looked like I was always scowling in pictures due to those lines.  I also sleep on my side with a pillow over my head so in the morning, those lines were fierce.  I started researching Frownies on Makeup Alley and someone mentioned in the comments that Nexcare Flexible Clear tape works even better and is much, much cheaper.  I have been using the tape now religiously every night for about three years.  I basically take three small pieces and make an upside-down "A" with the tape pieces and place them between my eyes, smoothing out the lines.  It took a decent amount of time to see a difference but now at age 53, the lines are far less pronounced to the point where some mornings, the lines are difficult to see.

I'm using this one

It took a few weeks for me to notice a change but then it was obvious and I'm impressed. 👍

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1

Thinking a lot about Sofa Sloth this week (and any other Australian friends here).  I hope she and her loved ones are safe, the devastating fires raging through much of the continent are bound to affect everyone.

Australians are a resilient, courageous, people and they will come through this proud and strong❣️.

• Love 20
13 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Thinking a lot about Sofa Sloth this week (and any other Australian friends here).  I hope she and her loved ones are safe, the devastating fires raging through much of the continent are bound to affect everyone.

Australians are a resilient, courageous, people and they will come through this proud and strong❣️.

Thank you Sandy!💓

It’s truly devastating.  A nightmare for the poor families and wildlife impacted and all the volunteer firefighters putting themselves in harms way every day to try and get these fires under control (while the government sits on its hands watching and our prime minister takes holidays in Hawaii I might add 🙄). 

I’m in Queensland and we’ve got terrible air quality and we are in extreme drought conditions, but hoping for some Christmas miracle rain hopefully! 🤞🏼 

• Love 3

Just wanted to wish y'all a Merry Christmas!  🎅🤶  Thanks for all of the wonderful snark, laughs, guffaws and insights both gross and good that you've shared with me this year.  Y'all have made an unwatchable show interesting once again, and that's no small feat. Looking forward to spending some quality snark time with all y'all in 2020.  Ho Ho Ho!!!  🤸‍♀️🎄🤸‍♂️

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Just wanted to wish y'all a Merry Christmas!  🎅🤶  Thanks for all of the wonderful snark, laughs, guffaws and insights both gross and good that you've shared with me this year.  Y'all have made an unwatchable show interesting once again, and that's no small feat. Looking forward to spending some quality snark time with all y'all in 2020.  Ho Ho Ho!!!  🤸‍♀️🎄🤸‍♂️

A very happy holiday, however you may celebrate, to my fellow snarkers!  I love reading all your posts and commenting as well.  Safe travels to all of you that will have a road trip or a flight to deal (dill) with.  A new snarking season awaits us very soon, and I'm sure we will enjoy it! ❤️

• Love 20

This is completely and utterly off topic but I wanted to rave a bit about my wonderful new car!  I bought a Honda Clarity plug in hybrid last week and have not used a single drop of gas since then. Still has a full tank! Love it! 

Happy new year ladies!

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

This is completely and utterly off topic but I wanted to rave a bit about my wonderful new car!  I bought a Honda Clarity plug in hybrid last week and have not used a single drop of gas since then. Still has a full tank! Love it! 

Happy new year ladies!

Happy New Year to Dakota, and all the great snarkers here.  Congrats on your new car!

We are just a few days away from all new episodes to snark on.  I'll be ready! 

• Love 7

A new car for a new year, how exciting! I've had a hybrid since 2012 and love mine.  I'm sure they are even more efficient now.  I get about 44 miles to the gallon and am rarely off of battery in town at lower speeds.  Best thing is, no emissions!

Thanks in advance to whomever does the recaps this season.  Watching or even hearing their voices makes me physically ill so I appreciate those who take the bullet for the rest of us!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

A new car for a new year, how exciting! I've had a hybrid since 2012 and love mine.  I'm sure they are even more efficient now.  I get about 44 miles to the gallon and am rarely off of battery in town at lower speeds.  Best thing is, no emissions!

Thanks in advance to whomever does the recaps this season.  Watching or even hearing their voices makes me physically ill so I appreciate those who take the bullet for the rest of us!

After 14 years and 106,000 miles it was time for a new car! I wanted a clean air car to begin with, and the incentives made it too good to pass up...the Federal tax credit, state clean air rebate, PG&E rebates, Costco discount, etc...and it's so fun to drive!

• Love 3

...and it's so fun to drive!

I love how first time passengers freak out when they think the motor isn't running because it's on battery and I start to drive.  I admit, it took me some time to get used to it, I kept having to look for the little symbol showing I was able to go.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I love how first time passengers freak out when they think the motor isn't running because it's on battery and I start to drive.  I admit, it took me some time to get used to it, I kept having to look for the little symbol showing I was able to go.

My car hums a quiet little tune - I think it's to let me and any pedestrians know that it's on 😊

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DakotaJustice said:

My car hums a quiet little tune - I think it's to let me and any pedestrians know that it's on 😊

Interesting.  Mine is totally silent, I am very careful when in parking lots especially with people glued to their phones texting away.

• Love 2

So in the Mariah thread I mentioned a social media diet. 

One of my favorite podcasts is Natalie Lue's Baggage Reclaim Sessions. A couple years ago she had this episode about going on a SM Diet that was (quoting Janelle) a rockstar game changer for me.  I started by taking the FB/Twitter/IG apps off my phone and immediately became more productive in my life without the endless notifications, and went from there. 

https://www.baggagereclaim.co.uk/podcast-ep-96-is-it-time-to-go-on-a-social-media-diet/

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I have relatives on FB who post nasty political stories constantly.  Rather than being upset by them I block their posts so I don't have to read them.  Anyone who posts upsetting things gets blocked.  That way I don't have to "unfriend" them and cause problems within the family.  These are people who can be pleasant for a few hours and avoid politics but they can't stop posting about it on FB.  I guess they don't pause to think about their FB friends who don't agree with them.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I have relatives on FB who post nasty political stories constantly.  Rather than being upset by them I block their posts so I don't have to read them.  Anyone who posts upsetting things gets blocked.  That way I don't have to "unfriend" them and cause problems within the family.  These are people who can be pleasant for a few hours and avoid politics but they can't stop posting about it on FB.  I guess they don't pause to think about their FB friends who don't agree with them.

I have friends/relatives who post political stories. I don't want to block them because I want to see what else they are doing, pictures of kids, grandkids ect. Also I agree with SOME of the things things post. I wish I could just block the dumb/stupid posts.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, riverblue22 said:

Everything is so polarized these days. 

Not just the political stuff, but as a single woman who dates, I would frequently get creeped out by guys stalking me on both FB and IG.  Likewise, I wasted an inordinate amount of time checking out exes on SM to see what THEY were up to.  It's like what Nat Lue says about looking through your ex's window and rubbing your face in it. 

So the big question that comes up is "how do you date safely without researching the guy first?" I do Google a little, but mostly it's just a matter of being cautious. I limit text messaging because that creates false intimacy. I insist on at least 1-2 phone calls where we actually TALK ON THE PHONE. No phone call, no date. I'm able to weed out incompatible guys fairly quickly - there are actually "pick up artist dating experts" who offer text scripts that guys can copy and paste into messages. Hard to do that with a phone convo.  Lastly we always meet in a public place for at least the first few dates and even if it's a short walk from my house I drive there.  First dates for me are usually during daylight hours such as Saturday or Sunday afternoons - quick coffee dates. It doesn't take very long to find out if there's a connection with someone worth pursuing.  I tell the guys upfront that I'll commit to 45-60 minutes and then we'll go from there. 

I'm not missing any family stuff. I get texted photos pretty frequently. My mom and older sister don't do SM either and so photos are sent via email, text or Apple Cloud - shared albums.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, riverblue22 said:

Amazing how some people think that they can change opinions and sway others by being........nasty.  It. Doesn’t. Work. 

I have also unfollowed overly political people. Just go vote how you want and stop shoving down everyone’s throat. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I started by taking the FB/Twitter/IG apps off my phone and immediately became more productive in my life without the endless notifications, and went from there. 

Turning off notifications and moving the non-productive app icons to the second or third phone screen help a lot. I only check them when I want to.

• Love 3

Is anyone else getting really disgusting political ads when on the forum?  I have ads blocked on my laptop but they show up on my phone and I can't figure how to block them.  Makes me want to puke!

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Is anyone else getting really disgusting political ads when on the forum?  I have ads blocked on my laptop but they show up on my phone and I can't figure how to block them.  Makes me want to puke!

No, but I am getting a gross one about removing ear wax 🤮

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

No, but I am getting ones for camel hump fat and camel milk. WTF?

• LOL 5