Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

She was the purest love and such a gift. I know it was time, but as others have said, that doesn't make the loss any easier. I will be fostering cats eventually (I have a lot of vet tech-type skills now so I can nurture cats who may be recovering from neglect) but each animal is unique - and irreplaceable.

• Love 7

Teafortwo sorry I haven't said anything until now but this subject breaks my heart... my sweet baby died the day after Mother's Day 2 yrs ago and I still struggle with it and burst into tears.

I totally feel for you and I know how terrible it is and how your heart aches... I wish I could give you a big hug and make everything better.  😥

Try to take some comfort in knowing you are surrounded by your COL sisters.... we care and know how badly it hurts.  ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Teafortwo sorry I haven't said anything until now but this subject breaks my heart... my sweet baby died the day after Mother's Day 2 yrs ago and I still struggle with it and burst into tears.

I totally feel for you and I know how terrible it is and how your heart aches... I wish I could give you a big hug and make everything better.  😥

Try to take some comfort in knowing you are surrounded by your COL sisters.... we care and know how badly it hurts.  ❤️❤️❤️

What a beautiful post. Thank you so much. Messages like this are really comforting - it's amazing. But yes, I know I will always miss her. Thank you.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

I know I will always miss her.

And she can never be replaced.  But if you are able, consider taking in another homeless animal that might not ever get a chance to share that kind of love. I always waited until I felt I was ready and then got such wonderful, adorable loving shelter animals that I was always sorry I didn't come and rescue them sooner.  We're all different, I know.  After each one died I said "never again" but have been blessed with such perfect pets that I know my life would not have been as happy without them.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

consider taking in another homeless animal that might not ever get a chance to share that kind of love.

That's my plan, but I will start as a foster mom when I'm ready. In my area there is a big need for fosters.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

That's my plan, but I will start as a foster mom when I'm ready. In my area there is a big need for fosters.

I am a TOTAL foster mom fail.  They step foot in my house and I am in love, they are mine, I am their's... the end!

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I am a TOTAL foster mom fail.  They step foot in my house and I am in love, they are mine, I am their's... the end!

*Raises hand* 

I fostered ONCE, 3 years ago. A retired coworker died suddenly and his family couldn't take his cat, the head of my team asked everyone if they could take her. She didn't want his baby to be stuck scared in a cage in the pound. 

I already had two cats, but after some thought and prayer I said, I'll foster her and we can try and find her a good permanent home.  She actually was adopted out twice but both times it didn't work out due to her shyness. 

My two other cats were so happy to have her back home! I remember when my coworker and I brought her to my house - my big tabby girl ran over to the crate where inside the new cat was trembling and she meowed reassuringly to her. They're all buddies now ❤️❤️ But no fostering for me! I can't do it.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Ditto. One foot in the door and they are mine. 

My cousin is fostering two cats - one with three legs and half a tail and the other with no teeth.  For the past 10 years.  They hook you right away....

• Love 11

I hope this is the right place to post this.  If you are interested in odd lifestyles like polygamy or the Amish, check out Gloriavale on Prime.  It's about a strange group ( some might say cult) in New Zealand.  There are just 3 episodes but her interesting!

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

I hope this is the right place to post this.  If you are interested in odd lifestyles like polygamy or the Amish, check out Gloriavale on Prime.  It's about a strange group ( some might say cult) in New Zealand.  There are just 3 episodes but her interesting!

I watched this a couple months ago, I agree it was fascinating. I felt so badly for the women in that cult, they are worked to the bone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

@Kohola3, I'm your sister from another mister, or somethingk like that.  There's a newish local radio station here that's playing those old 60's songs that I haven't heard in forever.  Those one-hit wonders from junior high school, that I can sing word for word are being played.  Remember Classics IV and The Buckinghams?  

My dad actually bought and brought home Meet The Beatles.  One listen-to on the Hi-Fi, and it was mine!  I was 10 years old.  Good times.

• Love 4

As someone who has had several cats show up at the door and basically announce that they were our new cats (the last one simply joined us on our patio when we were having a glass of wine) I understand very well everyone's stories.  I have a small area (NOT in my house) where I can house strays/ferals.  I've only told a very few friends I have this area - friends I can count on to not tell me about some pathetic animal in desperate need of a home if I'm full.  Otherwise, it would be far too easy to end up with 50 cats🙀

Edited by DaphneCat
Spelling!
  • Love 9

After our little one died I was a wreck and hubby is very soft hearted about animals so he wasn't fairing much better... We both cried and were miserable.

After about 3 weeks of pain, sorrow and walking around like a couple of zombies he just looked at me and said "I know what we need to do...we need to rescue a cat that needs a good home we can give it all the love we had for our cat and honor her memory"

I looked up and I was gonna say "No, I can't just replace her!" but as I was going to say it I felt like a wave washed over my body and I knew he was right!

I looked online for our local shelter and clicked through the pics of available cats and suddenly there she was... I looked at her face and I knew she was meant to be ours and hubby knew it too.

Now she's our "Zoey" and we love the little stinker so much! 😍💕💞

As you can see she's a monkey and she's never met a box, garbage can, pot, bowl or anything else that she didn't want to sit in.

rsz_screenshot_993.jpg

Edited by Joan of Argh
pic
  • Love 19

We were watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" one evening last week, and a singing group on the show started singing "Tan Shoes with Pink Shoelaces."  

I couldn't believe myself . . . started singing along, and remembered every word - right down to "And a pink Panama with a purple hat band."

No, I don't remember what I had for breakfast.

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

After our little one died I was a wreck and hubby is very soft hearted about animals so he wasn't fairing much better... We both cried and were miserable.

After about 3 weeks of pain, sorrow and walking around like a couple of zombies he just looked at me and said "I know what we need to do...we need to rescue a cat that needs a good home we can give it all the love we had for our cat and honor her memory"

I looked up and I was gonna say "No, I can't just replace her!" but as I was going to say it I felt like a wave washed over my body and I knew he was right!

I looked online for our local shelter and clicked through the pics of available cats and suddenly there she was... I looked at her face and I knew she was meant to be ours and hubby knew it too.

Now she's our "Zoey" and we love the little stinker so much! 😍💕💞

As you can see she's a monkey and she's never met a box, garbage can, pot, bowl or anything else that she didn't want to sit in.

rsz_screenshot_993.jpg

You have a beautiful kitty!  Cats are so fun to have around.

• Love 7
On 2/3/2020 at 6:47 PM, Kohola3 said:

And she can never be replaced.  But if you are able, consider taking in another homeless animal that might not ever get a chance to share that kind of love. I always waited until I felt I was ready and then got such wonderful, adorable loving shelter animals that I was always sorry I didn't come and rescue them sooner.  We're all different, I know.  After each one died I said "never again" but have been blessed with such perfect pets that I know my life would not have been as happy without them.

I too would like to extend my condolences to @Teafortwo.  After I lost Gidget I was beside myself with grief.  She was a special girl.  My husband took one look at me and said you must go rescue another.  Think of all the kitties that would be blessed to come into this home and have all this love.  I did and Pippi is my little shadow. It is weird though.  Gidget used to be on my lap whenever I was on the couch.  Pippi will not sit on my lap on the couch.  She will other places but I think Gidget may still be there.  She WILL get on my husbands lap on the couch. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I believe that my late cat and current fur baby see things Mr. Xword and I cannot.  I'm reminded of Demi Moore's cat in Ghost.  Lucy will stare at a blank space sometimes.

Yeah that happens in our house and it leaves me wondering how many 'people' are floating around us?  Is it crowded?  HA!

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I too would like to extend my condolences to @Teafortwo.  After I lost Gidget I was beside myself with grief.  She was a special girl.  My husband took one look at me and said you must go rescue another.  Think of all the kitties that would be blessed to come into this home and have all this love.  I did and Pippi is my little shadow. It is weird though.  Gidget used to be on my lap whenever I was on the couch.  Pippi will not sit on my lap on the couch.  She will other places but I think Gidget may still be there.  She WILL get on my husbands lap on the couch. 

Thank you so much, Natalie. That's so weird - but interesting! 

• Love 4

I can't find the post so I am going to ask here:  Who was it that was watching Sanditon?  I know it was someone I really like here - but I can't find the post!  I would love to ask you some questions in messages!  I just finished the third episode last night.

I fumed when I was following this case but didn't know at the time that he was Kody's BFF. There are two articles about him, I will post them separately. Note the bold: 1) in light of the recent decriminalization of polygamy and 2) the identity of Nicole's father and the identity and tactics of KH's attorney. FYI you can't swing a cat in Utah without hitting some guy who looks just like KH - must be something in the water. 

Published: September 12, 2018
Updated: September 13, 2018

A husband who last year found himself at the center of a debate over polygamy and the law has been acquitted of trying to extort his wife.

An eight-person jury in state court in Provo found Mitchell Kyle Henderson not guilty of two counts of extortion or bribery. He faced up to 15 years in prison on each count.

Nicole Henderson is the daughter of state Sen. Kevin Van Tassell, R-Vernal. On the last night of the 2017 legislative session, Van Tassell showed his fellow senators photos of the bruises on his daughter. The Utah Senate was considering a bill that would have affirmed polygamy as a felony in Utah and increased the penalties for it in some cases. The Senate passed the bill that night, and Utah Gov. Gary Herbert later signed it.

Kyle Henderson’s lawyer, former Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, said he argued Nicole Henderson needs her husband to be convicted of a felony in order to gain full custody of their minor children. 

https://www.sltrib.com/news/polygamy/2018/09/12/jury-acquits-man-accused/

Published: 3 days ago (Feb 28, 2020)
Updated: 3 days ago (Feb 28, 2020)

Utah polygamists can party like it’s 1889.

The Utah Senate on Friday gave final approval 27-0 to a bill that would reduce polygamy among consenting adults to an infraction — an offense below some traffic tickets — essentially decriminalizing the practice.

Gov. Gary Herbert has indicated he will sign the measure. If he does not, there appear to be enough votes in the Legislature to override a veto.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/02/28/its-not-return-days/

• Love 3

Published: December 6, 2018
Updated: December 07, 2018

A state senator was in a Provo courtroom Thursday to see a family and political drama conclude with his son-in-law agreeing to a plea deal on misdemeanor domestic violence charges in a case that helped change Utah’s polygamy laws.

Mitchell Kyle Henderson, 50, entered a plea in abeyance on two counts and was sentenced to what is effectively a probation.

Fourth District Judge Christine Johnson will dismiss both counts if he obeys all laws for 12 months and pays a $400 fee. Henderson had been charged with six felonies for assault, domestic violence and witness tampering.

Nicole Henderson is the daughter of state Sen. Kevin Van Tassell, R-Vernal, who did not seek re-election last month.

After Thursday’s hearing, Van Tassell acknowledged his daughter and son-in-law were a factor in his not seeking office. “One of the reasons I didn’t run again is because I didn’t want to put the office of senator in the middle of this,” Van Tassell said outside the courtroom.

After the couple had three children, they talked about divorcing, Van Tassell said, but he advised them against it for the sake of their children. Van Tassell said he heard later from his daughter about abuse.

He said he has heard that some legislators or advocates would like to weaken the polygamy bill he pushed that night in 2017.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2018/12/06/domestic-violence-case/

• Love 3
(edited)

It sends a very powerful message to a jury and a society when the (white, male, LDS) former highest law enforcement official in the state (attorney general) defends a polygamist who is accused of inflicting grievous physical injuries on his wife. You have to ask how and why Mark Shurtleff agreed to defend a mook like KH. 

Edited by suomi
  • Love 2

I was told this was the off-topic place to chat about off-topic stuff - so here I am, talking about an off topic topic!  😄

Namely - the Coronavirus!  I have come to really like a lot of you ladies that post here with me, and I found myself wondering about all of you, and how things are, where you live.   I know that a lot of us are older, and this virus seems to have a thing for older folks (well... over the age of 36 I guess!) 

I understand that really so much is unknown, and we can't worry about every thing that comes along like this.  We have the Flu every single year.  So I am not trying to stir things up, upset anyone, scare anyone - or anything else of that nature.  I am pretty much a homebody and other than my grown children, don't have anyone to chat with about stuff such as this.  

I guess I just want to say - you all are in my good thoughts and prayers (as corny as that sounds!) and if anyone wants to talk, I'm here to chat with.  And if you don't - for pete's sake please do NOT throw verbal rotten eggs at me.  I can cry uglier than Robyn (but I don't have eye boogers to pick out.)  What IS that stuff she picks out, by the way.  Mascara chunks? 

• Love 10

I ain't scared.  I wash my hands frequently when I'm not home, and have always been cautious about touching things that other people touch.  I'm not alone.  There's a reason why stores started putting cleaning wipes near the grocery carts.

We went to Sam's this morning for routine stuff we always get there - bottled water, toilet paper, etc.  No problem with supplies there.  The Costco near us is jammed - no parking spaces and long lines at the gas pumps.  The store was wiped out of toilet paper and bottled water.

Like Dr. Drew says, "Wash your hands.  Don't touch your face.  Stop panicking.  More people die of the regular flu every year than are dying from corona virus."  And I saw a FB meme:  "Everybody's panicking about corona virus, but they don't bother getting a flu shot every year."

Stay well, virtual friends!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

Don't touch your face.

I don't even know I'm doing it, but I am constantly touching my face.  Pushing back my hair... whatever!  I'm a goner......

I'm not so worried about catching the virus, and if I did I will assume the best and that it's a mild case of the flu.  But if they quarantine me.....................

I have to be honest with you all - what would I do without my take-out food?  I'm a FOODIE, after all!!  But - if I had it delivered -  how can I trust that the workers aren't there sick - hacking into my bourban street steak and garlic mashed potatoes??  Oh the dilemma here.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I don't even know I'm doing it, but I am constantly touching my face.  Pushing back my hair... whatever!  I'm a goner......

I'm not so worried about catching the virus, and if I did I will assume the best and that it's a mild case of the flu.  But if they quarantine me.....................

I have to be honest with you all - what would I do without my take-out food?  I'm a FOODIE, after all!!  But - if I had it delivered -  how can I trust that the workers aren't there sick - hacking into my bourban street steak and garlic mashed potatoes??  Oh the dilemma here.

You already have no proof that food service and delivery people aren't sick. Don't start worrying about it now. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

But - if I had it delivered -  how can I trust that the workers aren't there sick - hacking into my bourban street steak and garlic mashed potatoes?? 

Viruses are killed by cooking so no worries there. You'd be more likely to pick it up from the bag or box and that's easily handled by washing your hands after opening the food containers.  There is no evidence at this point that  ingesting it orally can trigger an infection (the gastric acids likely would kill it anyway);  it's spread through the respiratory system when someone coughs or sneezes and you inhale it.  Or if someone coughs or sneezes onto a surface that you touch and then you rub your nose or mouth or eyes.  

It is difficult to keep your hands away from your face.  Just start with keeping your hands below neck level - if you work on it you'll develop muscle memory that will trigger an alert when you reach up.

Honestly, you're way more likely to catch a common cold or any of the usual strains of flu.

Remember that 99% of what we worry about never happens....

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Viruses are killed by cooking so no worries there. You'd be more likely to pick it up from the bag or box and that's easily handled by washing your hands after opening the food containers.  There is no evidence at this point that  ingesting it orally can trigger an infection (the gastric acids likely would kill it anyway);  it's spread through the respiratory system when someone coughs or sneezes and you inhale it.  Or if someone coughs or sneezes onto a surface that you touch and then you rub your nose or mouth or eyes.  

It is difficult to keep your hands away from your face.  Just start with keeping your hands below neck level - if you work on it you'll develop muscle memory that will trigger an alert when you reach up.

Honestly, you're way more likely to catch a common cold or any of the usual strains of flu.

Remember that 99% of what we worry about never happens....

My stomach thanks you.

• Love 4

I’m in Wisconsin, near the Twin Cities in Minnesota.  The panic buying for the coronavirus is alarming.  We have good, drinkable water here, mostly.  Yet all the water is sold out at the stores.  What, do people think water will just shut off?  The virus will “get” the water company workers and it will just end?  
I get sick at the drop of a hat.  In fact, this week hubby and I are fighting mysterious fevers that come on every night with aches. Maybe it’s coronavirus.  Maybe it’s not.  Either way, I am not running out to buy 64 loaves of bread. 
It is scary though, I may be just a bit glad my parents are no longer alive so I don’t have to worry about them, my mom died in July and it was horrible.  But I am glad she can’t get this virus.  
I touch my face constantly, pushing my hair back.  I do wash my hands a ton, always have.  
I hope those of us here who get it, recover well.  

2 hours ago, Kyanight said:

And now I want Applebee’s.  😜

• Love 5

What Az

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I ain't scared.  I wash my hands frequently when I'm not home, and have always been cautious about touching things that other people touch.  I'm not alone.  There's a reason why stores started putting cleaning wipes near the grocery cart

Like Dr. Drew says, "Wash your hands.  Don't touch your face.  Stop panicking.  More people die of the regular flu every year than are dying from corona virus."  And I saw a FB meme:  "Everybody's panicking about corona virus, but they don't bother getting a flu shot every year."

Stay well, virtual friends!

This is all correct.  I have friends in the medical field they are not worried. They concur, more should be worried about the flu.  Some of these people are also being misdiagnosed.  Wash your hands frequently, soap, hot water for at least 20 seconds. 

I see people talking about the anti-bacterial washes being out of stock. I can't use them, at all.. but  What people don't realize is they also kill good bacteria that you need to fight off things. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I am not worried and I am one of the ones that if I do catch the virus I could get sicker than most people. The thing is we are told not to worry then a school district has one person diagnosed with the virus and they close the school and do a deep clean. That makes it sound like something to be worried about. I work full time in retail dealing mostly with older people so I guess I have a better chance of being exposed. I do not have a car so I used Shipt to have my groceries delivered. I do not know about any shortage at the grocery store but I was curious and went into a medical supply store in my shopping center and they were sold out of face masks. I will do the things I normally do and wash my hands.

Edited by crazycatlady58
I am trying to make sense.
  • Love 4

The panic leading to hoarding toilet paper and water is crazy. Do people think that the US will run out of toilet paper? And just why can't we drinktap water? I don't get it. One person recommended that you purchase 120 proof grain alcohol mix it with water and spray your face and hands during the day. It just goes to show how easy it is to start a panic among ostensibly sane folks. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

It just goes to show how easy it is to start a panic among ostensibly sane folks. 

Right on. People believe all kinds of stupid things and then extrapolate from there.  They aren't even using the masks correctly and have created a shortage for hospitals with this nonsense. I blame the internet and the loopy conspiracy theorists who push all kinds of misinformation out there and then idiots believe it.  I especially love the ones broadcasting that the virus "escaped" from some secret test lab in China.  Sheesh.

Of course, to be fair, whenever there is a huge snowstorm forecast, people clear the shelves of bread and milk.  As though they are going to need 8 gallons of milk and 12 loaves of bread before the plow comes through later in the day.

When a storm was heading our way I was standing in line behind a guy who filled his cart with 4 huge boxes of Cheerios and 8 6-packs of beer. I had to laugh at that one.

• Love 4

The same person that I talked with yesterday said she had loaded up on batteries  in addition to toilet paper and water. We are not facing a hurricane or a massive snow storm or any other natural crisis that will affect the nation's electric and water sources.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, crimson23 said:

Wash your hands frequently, soap, hot water for at least 20 seconds. 

Fun Fact:  On Princess Cruises, dining room stewards are required to wash their hands for 20 seconds as soon as they enter the galley and as they are leaving.  So every time they go in to place or pick up an order, they spend at least 40 seconds washing.

When we did the galley tour, we were also required to wash both ways.  We were taught that you should sing the Happy Birthday song through twice to judge the 20 seconds.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Meowwww said:

And now I want Applebee’s.  😜

HAAAAAAAAA!!!!   I KNEW I liked you meow - and not just because your name is "meowwww" and I'm a cat lover!  YES - it IS Applebees!  I just discovered them recently and I love that gosh darn steak with the delicious onions and mushrooms... and that WONDERFUL garlic mashed potatoes.......!   Their onion soup is amazing, too.  They have lots of good stuff!!    😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

The panic leading to hoarding toilet paper and water is crazy. Do people think that the US will run out of toilet paper? And just why can't we drinktap water? I don't get it. 

Yeah, I don't understand that water thing whatsoever.  I DO know, though, that there could possibly be shortages of some things like medications.  It is a fact that India manufactures and exports quite a few medications for and to the U.S. and they have issued a statement that they are keeping these medications for themselves (their country) because they cannot get the raw ingredients from China to make these drugs.  Acetaminophen is one of them.

PLEASE don't think that I said that because I think people should rush to the store and stock up on these things (unless it's prescription drugs that you MUST have, maybe?)   The United States may not get a lot of cases and it may be no worse than the flu, but other areas are getting hit much harder, and we depend on them for certain items many Americans use.

https://fortune.com/2020/03/03/india-restricts-exports-of-common-drugs/

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I’m in eastern Washington, and the outbreak feels close. My Fortune 100 company has suspended all travel through the end of the month. I was supposed to go to India on the 29th, but that had already been canceled. I’m so relieved I don’t have to go—that trip is super hard anyway, last thing I want is to risk getting sick or quarantined in a third world country!  Plus we’re allowed to work from home for the duration.  Our Seattle office is closed because somebody was exposed (not Amazon, lol)

Our Costco locations are sold out of all wipes, TP, hand sanitizers, etc.  I can’t say much because we were out trying to stock up this past weekend ourselves. I was more focused on filling our freezer than anything, so that we have plenty of food on hand. I also don’t get the run on bottled water. It’s not a hurricane, people!  I’m just trying to make sure that if we need to stay home for a few weeks that we can. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Yeah, I don't understand that water thing whatsoever.  I DO know, though, that there could possibly be shortages of some things like medications.  It is a fact that India manufactures and exports quite a few medications for and to the U.S. and they have issued a statement that they are keeping these medications for themselves (their country) because they cannot get the raw ingredients from China to make these drugs.  Acetaminophen is one of them.

PLEASE don't think that I said that because I think people should rush to the store and stock up on these things (unless it's prescription drugs that you MUST have, maybe?)   The United States may not get a lot of cases and it may be no worse than the flu, but other areas are getting hit much harder, and we depend on them for certain items many Americans use.

https://fortune.com/2020/03/03/india-restricts-exports-of-common-drugs/

I keep a couple gallons of drinking water in the kitchen, but I've been doing that since last Thanksgiving when some drunk dumbass smashed his SUV into the bridge near my house and took out the water line for blocks. We didn't have water for an entire day and boy, do you realize how much you take stuff like that for granted when you don't have it! Especially if you wear contacts like me!

• Love 6

Most of the panic buying is because the media is stating potential shortages, naturally people go to the irrational thinking part of their brains...it brings up the old X-Files episode "War of the Coprophages" when people were doing panic buying in a mini market.

Anyway...everyone knows to wash your hand etc etc, but I'll add a personal experience to the mix.  Quarantine your mail and packages into one area of the house and be sure to wash really well after handling your mail. I have Chronic Fatigue and my mail is mostly junk mail with the occasional posted bill.  I have a country oversized mail box and I don't bother hiking down to get the mail every day unless a package is due, so it can easily be one trip a week for me.  My mail delivery lady is fully aware and just tucks my mail into the box, if she brings a package she will scoop all my mail up and bring it to the house for me.

So. 2 years ago my husband had flu symptoms and they didn't pass and he ended up missing work for the flu.  We were really careful but I ended up coming down with it as well.  It hit me much harder than it hit him.  I was in bed for 3 weeks and my son had to come and take care of my pets each day because I could do very little.  As the roll of luck happened my husband worked local that month (which is very rare) and so he had to run the house on his own. Even after the worst of it passed I just couldn't recover and I was pretty beat down for several months after.  We had NO idea where we had picked this up.  No one had these symptoms where he worked and no one I had come in contact had these symptoms, before or after.

I was in the fatigue recovery stage when a large package was delivered by my mail lady.  She is very chatty and I met her at the door for the package and mail and as usual she started chatting.  I mentioned recovering from being really sick and she asked the symptoms and I listed them, her eyes go bigger.  She said "OH!  I had that! But I had that months ago", but the same exact symptoms. Bingo. At that time my husband would often grab the mail after work or on Friday when he got home.  He handled the mail more than I did...and so he came down with it first. 

My new mail protocol is all mail is sorted and immediately dealt with at the back door.  Recycling, junk in the burn garbage etc and then I wash my hands like I just handled raw chicken. Packages are opened at the back door and boxes are broken down to reuse or recycle.  Up to that point I had never really thought about mail bringing in an illness, but I sure do now.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Kbo said:

I’m in eastern Washington, and the outbreak feels close. My Fortune 100 company has suspended all travel through the end of the month. I was supposed to go to India on the 29th, but that had already been canceled. I’m so relieved I don’t have to go—that trip is super hard anyway, last thing I want is to risk getting sick or quarantined in a third world country!  Plus we’re allowed to work from home for the duration.  Our Seattle office is closed because somebody was exposed (not Amazon, lol)

Our Costco locations are sold out of all wipes, TP, hand sanitizers, etc.  I can’t say much because we were out trying to stock up this past weekend ourselves. I was more focused on filling our freezer than anything, so that we have plenty of food on hand. I also don’t get the run on bottled water. It’s not a hurricane, people!  I’m just trying to make sure that if we need to stay home for a few weeks that we can. 

I I think this is one reason people are panicking, companies suspending travel overseas ( I am not saying it is not necessary) with companies doing that, schools closing to do a deep clean and hasn't China stopped all factories for a short time period? The news reports these things and they are not normal so people are frightened.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

My new mail protocol is all mail is sorted and immediately dealt with at the back door.  Recycling, junk in the burn garbage etc and then I wash my hands like I just handled raw chicken. 

95% of what we get in the USPS box is junk mail.  Fortunately, the community mailbox locale is about 50 feet from the large recycle dumpsters.  If it doesn't have our name on it, it goes straight in.  If it DOES have our name, I tear off just the name/address part and everything else goes straight into the bin.  I think I'm going to start washing my hands right after as well.

True story.  Many years ago, a co-worker/friend of mine came down with chicken pox (in her late 20s).  She said, "I can't figure this out.  My brother (who lived 250 miles away) is just getting over the chicken pox, too.  I don't know anybody else who has it.  What a coincidence that we BOTH got it in such a short time frame."  I - using my Sherlock Holmes powers of deduction - said, "Your birthday was two weeks ago.  Did your brother send you a birthday card?"  Yes, he had.  Sent it off to her right after licking the envelope with his mouth full of chicken box germs.

Weird, yes.  But it's the only interaction they had!

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I I think this is one reason people are panicking, companies suspending travel overseas ( I am not saying it is not necessary) with companies doing that, schools closing to do a deep clean and hasn't China stopped all factories for a short time period? The news reports these things and they are not normal so people are frightened.

It’s not just international travel that my employer suspended, it’s all domestic travel, too. If enough companies do that, it’s definitely going to impact the economy, that’s for sure. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4