Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

We didn't get to start cruising until we were in our 60s.  It's a vacation that works well for us.  We don't have to worry about getting lost while driving around strange places, and it feel safer to be with a group in a foreign country.

This year:  Alaska (7th time) and Panama Canal (2nd time)

Next year:  Autumn leaves on the East Coast from Baltimore to Halifax (1st time - can't wait!)

I’ve dreamed of going to Prince Edward Island ever since I watched Anne of Green Gables (the one with Megan Followes) years ago. I definitely hope you post pictures when you get back!  It’s so beautiful. Makes me want to pull my old DVDs out, I haven’t watched it in awhile. That version was so perfect to me, even though I love the books I won’t watch the new Netflix version. I turned it on for a couple minutes and said nope!

I feel the same way about the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice. I don’t think anything could top that for me. 

• Love 12

I've always wanted to go on a cruise! First I was scared off by the pirates that boarded ships and killed passengers, then I realized I was afraid of boats on the water...yep big wuss here... But I do love to travel, have been all over Europe, India, Singapore, & Taiwan in my day.

I don't think I am up any more for long journeys, but this new virus is just another in a long line of those to come and we have weathered them all. Common sense needs to prevail here.  But common sense is so bombarded with fear/misinformation that everyone is in a heightened state of paranoia. The paranoia scares me more than the virus, scared people are more deadly than an illness...

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

How do I enlarge it enough to read it?

There is a magnifier icon in the upper right hand corner of the picture that enlarges it somewhat.  I had to squint, but could read it.

• Love 1

Allow me to share a tip for enlarging a screen on a computer. While pressing and  holding down the Ctl key, tap the + key until you have the size you need. 

To reverse it, while pressing and holding the Ctrl key, tap the - key.

• Useful 4
26 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Allow me to share a tip for enlarging a screen on a computer. While pressing and  holding down the Ctl key, tap the + key until you have the size you need. 

To reverse it, while pressing and holding the Ctrl key, tap the - key.

And if you have a little wheel on your mouse, you can just hold down the Ctrl key and wheel forward to make it bigger and backward to make it smaller.

• Useful 3
16 hours ago, Kbo said:

I’ve dreamed of going to Prince Edward Island ever since I watched Anne of Green Gables (the one with Megan Followes) years ago. I definitely hope you post pictures when you get back!  It’s so beautiful. Makes me want to pull my old DVDs out, I haven’t watched it in awhile. That version was so perfect to me, even though I love the books I won’t watch the new Netflix version. I turned it on for a couple minutes and said nope!

I feel the same way about the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice. I don’t think anything could top that for me. 

Agree on both counts! 🤩 Two of my favourite old DVDs are the (Megan Follows) Anne of Green Gables series and (the Colin Firth) Pride & Prejudice -(all other versions like the Keira Knightly one should be put in the bin immediately!) My sister and I still binge watch both these on the regular when we get together! I also desperately wanted to go to Prince Edward Island as a child after watching the scenery on Anne.

Edited by Sofa Sloth
Adding snark towards Keira Knightly version of P&P
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

wo of my favourite old DVDs are the (Megan Follows) Anne of Green Gables series and the (Colin Firth) Pride & Prejudice -(all other versions like the Keira Knightly one should be put in the bin!)

Ditto!  I dismiss any other versions of either as pale copies.

• Love 3

On the Panama cruise right now.  In fact sitting in the locks waiting for the water to lower.

We are on the Emerald Princess.  These are the precautions they are taking:

Must was hands at buffet before entering.

Cannot use spoons or serving devices, must be served by crew.  

Must not take plate, handed to you by crew.

Must use Purell when entering dining room.

Yesterday we entered the port for Panama City.  Captain announced that we would be boarded by medical team from Panama before we could leave ship.  Thirty five medical people boarded and we weren't told what they did after arriving.  I figure they checked the doctor's records, interviewed the doctor and looked around.

We were then told we could go ashore and had to use tenders to get to shore (no pier).  We were told to go down stairs to the boats.  After ascending the stairs we were met by five uniformed, masked and armed Panamanian soldiers.  After passing them we had our temperature taken by nurses wearing protective clothing and masks.  Then onto the tenders.

• Useful 11

It was just posted on Facebook that the Houston Livestock show has been cancelled because of the virus. This is a big deal. Hundreds of children has raised their animals for show. Thousands of dollars have been spent on their care. The children show these animals and the animals are sold and the money goes toward their education. Hundreds of vendors sell at the show. I don't know, this seems excessive but then I think maybe it is a good thing? I do not remember this EVER happening.

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Useful 5

I've shared several cute cartoons about the Coronavirus here and some other stuff on my FB page.  I can see the humor in most situations.  But some of my FB friends are posting downright mean stuff, in the name of humor.  I have friends who won't debate politics with friends, yet they will make fun of them many times a day on their FB page in regards to their beliefs regarding the Coronavirus.   Like I said, I am still in the middle - not sure whether to be worried and not sure this is just a mountain out of a molehill thing.  I prefer to wait and see how things go. 

I just feel like some of this is online bullying.  How is it funny to make fun of people who are scared, worried for their families or aging parents?  Italy just declared that it will no longer treat the elderly - they are going to let them die and instead focus on younger patients who have a better chance and more years to live.  It makes sense - but isn't this a tragedy?   

This is one example of what I am referring to - and since this friend has posted NOTHING but Coronavirus stuff lately, I know that's what she's talking about.

image.thumb.png.a80490ad43377722a68fe3122c49bc6e.png

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 3

I think abundance of caution is necessary because the WHO announced today that it has declared a pandemic, the first since 2009.

Officials worldwide are saying the numbers thus far appear somewhat small but that is because testing has been proportionately minimal (compared to other viruses/illnesses).

Not only is the number of test kits deficient but the ingredients needed to produce test kits are deficient. You can't treat, quarantine or control what you can't find and a sufficient number of test kits is not on the menu.

The biggest problem is going to be that large numbers of people are mingling without symptoms while they are infectious. 

Edited by suomi
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I do not remember this EVER happening.

It hasn't to my knowledge.  But harken back to the Spanish flu in 1918,  As Philadelphia planned a Liberty Loan parade, bound to be a large gathering, the director of public health had ignored the growing concerns of other medical experts and allowed the parade to proceed, even as a deadly outbreak raged on nearby military bases.  Within 72 hours of the parade, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled. In the week ending October 5, some 2,600 people in Philadelphia had died from the flu or its complications. A week later, that number rose to more than 4,500.

Those are the kinds of things we can prevent despite the hardship.

25 minutes ago, suomi said:

The biggest problem is going to be that large numbers of people are mingling without symptoms while they are infectious. 

Which is why limiting crowded events is important.

But still, we have to remember the number of cases at this time in the US remains low.  Not that it won't rise, it certainly will.  But the virus does not do well in warm weather which is on the way soon.

33 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Italy just declared that it will no longer treat the elderly - they are going to let them die and instead focus on younger patients who have a better chance and more years to live. 

I would be interested to know the source of this. I heard their health minister interviewed on NPR this afternoon and that was absolutely not mentioned.  I would like to see a link to a credible source on that before I would put an credence in it.

• Love 8

I've been ordering groceries online and picking them up since November because I've become more easily short of breath and it saves me from walking around a huge store. The only place I can afford is WalMart (I wish that wasn't the case) but the cool thing about shopping there is that I can put anything in the store on my order, not just groceries. Picture frame, bingo, curtain rod, bingo.

I like that I can add to the order for days until I check out and that my previous items are saved in a list and it's easy to go click, click, click, order those again. I also like having plenty of time to figure out the best deal instead of thinking "How long have I been standing in this aisle using my calculator while people wish they could elbow me out of the way?" 

I'm not a great cook, not creative, just the basics and, boy howdy, my pantry reflects that. It was different when I was married but that was long ago and too often now I think about buying something only when I need it and don't have it.

I saw a helpful article about stocking last week so I added a few extras and will do that for a couple more weeks until I feel better about what I have on hand. Anyway, thought I would share the link for any here who might be pantry stocking-challenged like me. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/dining/how-to-stock-a-pantry.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, suomi said:

I've been ordering groceries online and picking them up since November because I've become more easily short of breath and it saves me from walking around a huge store.

It is a great option, that's for sure. I tried it out this winter since it's relatively new to our area. I wanted to see how it worked before I recommended it to others. I volunteer at hospice and it's a great service for caregivers who cannot be away from their loved on for extended periods.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't just for groceries.  

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Which is why limiting crowded events is important.

IA. And as the infection rate increases singular encounters will gain nearly as much importance as crowd events.

A infects B in the morning and C in the afternoon and D the next day. Within a few days B infects one or two people (or no one), C infects seven people and D sets up a chain that infects 500. 

Tumblin' dice. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

It is a great option, that's for sure. I tried it out this winter since it's relatively new to our area. I wanted to see how it worked before I recommended it to others. I volunteer at hospice and it's a great service for caregivers who cannot be away from their loved on for extended periods.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't just for groceries.  

When I broke my ankle last year, Instacart was a godsend. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

My company just extended our internal travel ban through the end of April (initially it was just through March). Plus they’re encouraging everyone to work from home.   I feel blessed to be in a position to do so, I feel for people who have to be out dealing with the public all day. 

All the people on Facebook saying it’s nothing are driving me crazy. Pretty sure the people in ICU fighting for their lives wouldn’t call it nothing. Nor the families who’ve lost a loved one. So many people just seem to care about themselves 🙁

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Absolom said:

This is from a doctor in Italy:

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

Several sources have reported about not even attempting to save 90 year olds any more.

Depending on the country, the area, in question, the severity of the outbreak will put the most elderly and compromised people into a status similar to hospice. Automatically. Measures will not be taken. And the age will be bumped down in greater or lesser degrees, depending on the locale. 

This seems new but it isn't, it's just that information travels more efficiently and there is wider access to it now. 2009 (the last pandemic) was a long time ago, relatively speaking. 

6 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I'm SO glad I'm not on Facebook anymore.

I don’t blame you a bit. It’s enough to make you lose faith in humanity. I only stay on to share pictures with distant family and friends. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

This is from a doctor in Italy:

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

Several sources have reported about not even attempting to save 90 year olds any more.

Thank you!  I never make up stuff or pass along crap from unreliable sources.  At least I try to never do that! 😄

On a side note - did you all hear that Tom Hanks and his wife now have the Coronavirus?  (Truth).

• Love 4

https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-update-what-we-learned-today/

"Tests have found that the coronavirus can live in the air for several hours and stick on surfaces for as long as two to three days. Meanwhile, a new study found that patients with mild symptoms could still be extremely contagious. And a UK doctor warned that wearing gloves could actually increase the risk of catching COVID-19.

Stars, they’re just like us: afraid of getting sick. Cardi B launched into an expletive-filled rant about how scared she is of the virus. Howie Mandel stepped out in a full-on hazmat suit. And Celine Dion announced she had to postpone tour dates after getting a cold — but tested negative for the coronavirus."

Ok - I really like Howie Mandel, but I had to laugh when I read that.  As for Celine Dion - she is so damn skinny that a BREEZE will knock her over.  She SHOULD be afraid of catching the virus... she'd have a tough time fighting it!  Someone hand that lady some fattening food!  (Just cuz I love fattening food...but a LITTLE extra weight on her could possibly help!)

• Love 3

This is how it went down:

Jazz-Thunder game suddenly postponed in Oklahoma City just before tip.

Right as both teams were finishing warming up on the floor, the Thunder’s head medical director came sprinting out onto the floor and grabbed the officials - who then sent players to their respective benches while they and both coach Billy Donovan and Quinn Snyder conferred in front of the scorer’s table.

Shortly after, both teams and the officials left the floor completely.

Fans had already piled in to Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, and players were warming up normally on the floor.

While both teams were in the locker rooms, the Thunder proceeded to run the scheduled halftime performance and throw out shirts to fans inside the arena.

Officials then announced that the game would be postponed to a later date without specifying a reason, and that everyone needs to leave the arena. The arena announcer assured fans multiple times that there was no emergency.

The Jazz announced Wednesday that center Rudy Gobert was questionable for the matchup due to “illness,” which came just days after he touched every media member’s microphone and recorder to make a point about the coronavirus. There is no reason to believe, however, that he has COVID-19. Emmanuel Mudiay was also listed as questionable with an illness.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/jazz-thunder-game-suddenly-postponed-in-oklahoma-city-just-before-tip/ar-BB1149Hw?li=BBnbfcL

UPDATE: 9:27 p.m. — Rudy Gobert has tested positive for coronavirus according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

UPDATE: 9:32 p.m. — Following the cancellation of the Thunder and Jazz game, the NBA has suspended the season.

1 minute ago, suomi said:

This is how it went down:

Jazz-Thunder game suddenly postponed in Oklahoma City just before tip.

Right as both teams were finishing warming up on the floor, the Thunder’s head medical director came sprinting out onto the floor and grabbed the officials - who then sent players to their respective benches while they and both coach Billy Donovan and Quinn Snyder conferred in front of the scorer’s table.

Shortly after, both teams and the officials left the floor completely.

Fans had already piled in to Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, and players were warming up normally on the floor.

While both teams were in the locker rooms, the Thunder proceeded to run the scheduled halftime performance and throw out shirts to fans inside the arena.

Officials then announced that the game would be postponed to a later date without specifying a reason, and that everyone needs to leave the arena. The arena announcer assured fans multiple times that there was no emergency.

The Jazz announced Wednesday that center Rudy Gobert was questionable for the matchup due to “illness,” which came just days after he touched every media member’s microphone and recorder to make a point about the coronavirus. There is no reason to believe, however, that he has COVID-19. Emmanuel Mudiay was also listed as questionable with an illness.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/jazz-thunder-game-suddenly-postponed-in-oklahoma-city-just-before-tip/ar-BB1149Hw?li=BBnbfcL

UPDATE: 9:27 p.m. — Rudy Gobert has tested positive for coronavirus according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

UPDATE: 9:32 p.m. — Following the cancellation of the Thunder and Jazz game, the NBA has suspended the season.

Geeze Louise!!

20 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Guess I’m simple minded but I don’t understand how banning travelers from Europe to here for 30 days is the way to go.  

You and me both. For the sake of my 78 year old mom, I would love the opportunity to get a test. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, suomi said:

The Jazz announced Wednesday that center Rudy Gobert was questionable for the matchup due to “illness,” which came just days after he touched every media member’s microphone and recorder to make a point about the coronavirus.

If any of those journalist end up getting the coronavirus due to his stupid little stunt, they should be allowed to sue the pants off him. This crap is part of why it's going to spread so fast. Stupid people who believe it's all a hoax OR who figure they're young and healthy, so even if they get the virus it's no big deal. It may not be a big deal to a 25 year old, but I'm over 50 and have an autoimmune disease that has already compromised my lungs. If I get it, I'm gonna die.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Nysha said:

If any of those journalist end up getting the coronavirus due to his stupid little stunt, they should be allowed to sue the pants off him. This crap is part of why it's going to spread so fast. Stupid people who believe it's all a hoax OR who figure they're young and healthy, so even if they get the virus it's no big deal. It may not be a big deal to a 25 year old, but I'm over 50 and have an autoimmune disease that has already compromised my lungs. If I get it, I'm gonna die.

I'm beginning to wonder about this.  It seems like the people who are cockiest about it are those who don't even CARE if they get it because they are young enough it doesn't matter.  I honestly keep thinking - "Don't you have grandparents you care about?  Anyone that is older in your life?"  I can't imagine being so callous about people's lives.

What state do you live in, NYSHA?

• Love 7

All the Jazz players, coaches and staff who were in Oklahoma for the game will remain there in quarantine until further notice. There is no known time frame as to when they can be allowed to return to Utah.

It was estimated that Jazz player Gobert who tested positive had recent close contact with 50 NBA players (and other personnel as well but that number wasn't mentioned).

• Useful 2
7 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I'm beginning to wonder about this.  It seems like the people who are cockiest about it are those who don't even CARE if they get it because they are young enough it doesn't matter.  I honestly keep thinking - "Don't you have grandparents you care about?  Anyone that is older in your life?"  I can't imagine being so callous about people's lives.

What state do you live in, NYSHA?

I live in Idaho. I don't think we have any cases, yet, but I'm on the border of Washington and you know their cases are going to eventually spread east. I work at a college and all classes are going to go online for two days next week to give everyone an idea of what to expect. The University of Washington and Idaho State University are both talking about going completely online after spring break at the end of this month. If they do, we probably will to. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I live in Idaho. I don't think we have any cases, yet, but I'm on the border of Washington and you know their cases are going to eventually spread east. I work at a college and all classes are going to go online for two days next week to give everyone an idea of what to expect. The University of Washington and Idaho State University are both talking about going completely online after spring break at the end of this month. If they do, we probably will to. 

Idaho and Montana have been virus-free so far.  Hopefully by teaching from home you can avoid maybe all of this!

• Love 3

Utah has 4 cases. The U of U in SLC has gone strictly online and BYU in Happy Valley AKA Provo canceled graduation. The St Patrick's Day parade in SLC will happen and it usually draws 10-15,000 spectators.

Marianne Williamson posted a 15-minute Cororavirus meditation video today and tonight Jimmy Kimmel condensed it to about 30 seconds. LMAO.

"Anxiety and fear diminish the body's immune response system.

Let them go. Let the light enter.

Feel the light enter your heart.

Your stomach.

Your cervix.

Your vagina.

Your penis.

Your buttocks.

Ahhhhh.

Go wash your hands."

Edited by suomi
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

We just had a first confirmed case in my area of PA. I'm not sure how scared to be--I'm not young, but not immuno-compromised, either. Don't want to live in a bubble (unless I have to) but don't want to get sick or make others sick, either.

I live in rural western Pennsylvania.  It's finally in my best interest that I live a quiet life as a hermit.  Since my husband is a traveling man we have to come up with a system when he comes home.  I make my own soap and herbal mixtures and salves and have gallons of both mixed dark berry and elderberry sangria (the tastiest health drink EVER!).  Hopefully the toilet paper stores hold out.

The pottery studio I work out of is considering closing too. There are quite a few students that drive an hour or more from very populated city areas to attend classes. The owners are elderly and one had heart surgery a couple of years ago and doesn't need the added risk.

• Love 8

Michigan has decided that most of our larger colleges are going to go to all on-line classes (including my daughter's college).  They are asking that student go home if they can, but are keeping campus open (cafeteria, library, etc.) for the kids that can't go home.  I'm sure this is happening all over, but it kind of boggles the mind that huge universities like MSU and U of M are going to go all on-line.

I wasn't really nervous until that news hit today. 

• Love 5

My husband's company switched to 100% online work last week.  Then two days ago, my own company implemented telework.

Just two days, and I feel the need to go out and buy some land so we can build ourselves separate houses.  Maybe the Browns were onto something. 😆

#sharedworkspacesareabusive

#monogamistpersecution!!!1!

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Just two days, and I feel the need to go out and buy some land so we can build ourselves separate houses. 

imagine if you had two or more husbands! Eeek

Edited by Teafortwo
removed erroneous info
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

imagine if you had two or more husbands! Eeek

ETA I just wish we had adequate testing capacity. From what I read regarding Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, Australia was prepared and anyone can get a test, symptomatic or not. That will be a big help in containment.

Yes!  The U.S. numbers are low because not enough people are being tested - because there is a shortage of testing kits.  This means contagious people are walking around in the stores, etc.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

My husband's company switched to 100% online work last week.  Then two days ago, my own company implemented telework.

Just two days, and I feel the need to go out and buy some land so we can build ourselves separate houses.  Maybe the Browns were onto something. 😆

#sharedworkspacesareabusive

#monogamistpersecution!!!1!

I am dreading my husband working from home with me. It’s good for a day or two, but then he needs more attention than Kody with a new perm. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I'm sure this is happening all over, but it kind of boggles the mind that huge universities like MSU and U of M are going to go all on-line.

I wasn't really nervous until that news hit today. 

We have to remember that this is precautionary to lower the risk of passing anything on since they are large groups that move freely within other large groups. 

I was listening to NPR and what is sad is what will happen to the first generation and full scholarship students at colleges and universities that close up altogether.  For so many of them (estimated to be at least 35% at Harvard) the college is their home.  They have nowhere else do to go and many rely on their work/study programs to survive and also to send money home.  Closing up shop has so many wide reaching implications.  At least in Michigan (so far) the dorms and food areas will remain open.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 4

Update from Emerald Princess for anyone who is interested....

Denied entry into Colombia this morning.  Proceeding on to Florida to end cruise March 15.

We were told that Princess is pausing global operations on all 18 cruise ships for sixty days impacting voyages departing March 12 to May 10.  All ships out after March 17 will return to first suitable port and passengers will be returned home from there. 

Most passengers seem to be in good spirits even though they were disappointed about their Colombia excursions. 

We just want to get off this ship and return to Idaho post haste.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2