Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I’m surprised at gas prices going down. I filled my tank yesterday for $1.10 a gallon.

There is a glut of oil on the market plus people are traveling less so prices are falling. Lowest in decades.

I have a friend who works at Walmart who says that shipments are finally moving here (MI) and that they are getting the shelves restocked. I have not been out at all, we are supposed to be sheltering in place as cases rise but also because as a single person I am normally well stocked.   Plus I have a guest room upstairs with its own bathroom and I have that supply as a back up.  Nobody visiting at this time!

In the Detroit area, which is hard hit, two of the grocery stores are taking the temperature of each employee as they come to work.

• Love 9

I made a big pot of white bean soup yesterday. My mom's recipe. 

Turns out she had contact with someone who tested positive so she's under quarantine 😕 she's pretty cheerful about it as she's discovered Zoom - she has virtual choir practice tomorrow night! 

My church has been doing online services for the past two weeks - this Sunday we had communion. My elements were pita bread and guava juice. 

I do feel like a hermit though. It's been raining here so I've been going out for long, lonely walks around the 'hood. 

OH and I bought a Peloton bike! It doesn't arrive until 15 April though, but at this point I doubt the gym'll be open by then and even if it IS classes are sure to be packed. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Sandy W said:

For those who may be becoming concerned that household TP supply is running low, consider checking your buffet or sideboard for supplies of paper napkins.  Cocktail size is just about right for single use and dinner size could be cut in half and they would be more flushable and softer than paper towels.

Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day would all lend a festive note. 🚽🧻😀

Yes, and I still have a stash of napkins that I bought for a dispenser years ago.  They may get used after all.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Yes, and I still have a stash of napkins that I bought for a dispenser years ago.  They may get used after all.

Yep, I have been hanging on to dibs and dabs of holiday napkins for years "just in case".  Good excuse to use them and free up some space.

• Love 2
On 3/19/2020 at 8:22 PM, deirdra said:

I was thrilled that my library books' due dates were pushed to April 30th.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, Angeltoes said:

Ours were pushed to June 1.  I came home with an armload after hitting up two of our libraries.

I am normally someone who checks out so many library books at one time, I have to keep renewing when I realize that once again I am never going to get them all read by their due dates.  I have a post-it note system so I know which order to read them in to get them turned in on time.  However, I managed to miss the closing dates of our libraries and only have three checked out at the moment.  I refuse to read on an electronic device.  When our libraries open once again, I am going to be so very happy and like many of us, there are going to be a lot of things I've taken for granted that I won't anymore.

I keep trying to think ahead to when we can finally look at this crisis in the rear-view mirror.  I think it's going to be a different world that we inhabit, in many good ways.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Yep, I have been hanging on to dibs and dabs of holiday napkins for years "just in case".  Good excuse to use them and free up some space.

Same here.  I just moved from a house to condo apt last month and considered putting them in the recycling bin, but didn't. Now I'm finally using them after 10-20 years.

• Love 3

Hello everyone!  I just wanted to send a quick thanks to everyone in this forum for being a connection to the outside world for me!  I live alone,  am a loner at heart and love my "just me" time, but not when it's enforced, like now!!   All of you have been keeping me company, and I appreciate it.  

I often share things that I find here, including the live cam link to all the cute animals (I shared with my entire staff, who all loved it).   I can't remember who posted it to give you credit, but a lot of people on my end are enjoying it!

Today's example of sharing  was the awesome, succinct update post from @doodlebug earlier today, which I shared with a couple of good friends.

So, without getting too mushy, thank you all for being here for me!  ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

I just realized I may be referencing things from the Counting On forum (my other favorite), and not Sister Wives.  But the sentiment stands!  I love all of my peeps in both forums.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 24
2 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

So, without getting too mushy, thank you all for being here for me

What a very heart-felt post.  I concur, I also live alone and most of my life is on my computer, especially right now during the virus.  I enjoy everyone's posts; as everyone is such a good writer, because they, like me, have been invested in these shows for years, and just want to talk to like minded people who have the same snarkishness about us.  Your post was so kind, thank you.  We need more kindness in this world, especially right now.

• Love 17

Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago has been discussing a universal do-not-resuscitate policy for infected patients, regardless of the wishes of the patient or their family members - a wrenching decision to prioritize the lives of the many over the one.

Richard Wunderink, one of Northwestern’s intensive-care medical directors, said hospital administrators have asked Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker for help in clarifying state law and whether it permits the policy shift.

Several large hospital systems - Atrium Health in the Carolinas, Geisinger in Pennsylvania and regional Kaiser Permanente networks - are looking at guidelines that would allow doctors to override the wishes of the coronavirus patient or family members on a case-by-case basis due to the risk to doctors and nurses, or a shortage of protective equipment, say ethicists and doctors involved in those conversations. But they would stop short of imposing a do-not-resuscitate order on every coronavirus patient. The companies declined to comment.

Health-care providers are bound by oath - and in some states, by law - to do everything they can within the bounds of modern technology to save a patient’s life, absent an order, such as a DNR, to do otherwise. But as cases mount amid a national shortage of personal protective equipment, or PPE, hospitals are beginning to implement emergency measures that will either minimize, modify or completely stop the use of certain procedures on patients with covid-19.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/25/coronavirus-patients-do-not-resucitate/

I have only rarely paid $14 for a kindle book but this one is 336 pages (and 300 pages is my minimum deciding factor) so I might get this one. I did order the free sample.

I didn't know how big the Nauvoo temple was: 54,000 square feet! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauvoo_Temple

Kingdom of Nauvoo: The Rise and Fall of a Religious Empire on the American Frontier [by Benjamin Park]

How Joseph Smith and the Early Mormons Challenged American Democracy

In Nauvoo, Illinois, Smith established a theocracy, ran for President, and tested the limits of religious freedom.

By Casey Cep

March 23, 2020

Park’s book is a compelling history, built from contemporaneous accounts and from the previously unreleased minutes of the Council of Fifty, a governing body of sorts that Smith convened in Nauvoo, Illinois, when he was feeling besieged by his enemies and anticipating the Second Coming of Christ. Its minutes help clarify Smith’s sometimes contradictory political theology, and Park’s explication of them elevates “Kingdom of Nauvoo” from pure religious history to the realm of political theory. 

Park, an ambidextrous thinker, is equally sensitive to the danger the state can pose to religious minorities and to the danger that a religious institution can pose to the secular state. In his account, the early Mormons were a rowdy band of neo-Puritans who mounted a fundamental challenge to the democratic experiment. The tensions that they experienced - between the right to religious freedom and the limits of religious tolerance - still persist today.

The city of Nauvoo took shape in an age when Ralph Waldo Emerson claimed that every intellectual had “a draft of a new community in his waistcoat pocket.” But Smith’s plans went far beyond the scribbling stage: within a dozen years of its founding, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had more than twenty thousand members, and Nauvoo quickly grew to be more populous than Chicago. But, unlike the Windy City, Nauvoo, operating under a permissive charter from the state of Illinois, developed a distinctly theocratic character: its independent judiciary could deny the validity of arrest warrants issued by neighboring authorities in order to shield Church members from prosecution, and its standing militia of several hundred armed men, known as the Nauvoo Legion, was empowered to protect citizens from any threat. Smith was made a Lieutenant General, a title previously held in the United States only by George Washington, and organized parades to show off the legion’s strength. (This was the military experience he would boast about during his Presidential campaign; he later added to his résumé a term as Nauvoo’s mayor.)

The city’s grandest feature was its enormous tabernacle. Smith wanted the temple of Nauvoo to rival the one built by Solomon; when it was finished, thanks to the tithe in time and muscle required of every resident, it was twice as tall as the White House. 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/03/30/how-joseph-smith-and-the-early-mormons-challenged-american-democracy

Edited by suomi
clarity
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Hello everyone!  I just wanted to send a quick thanks to everyone in this forum for being a connection to the outside world for me!  I live alone,  am a loner at heart and love my "just me" time, but not when it's enforced, like now!!   All of you have been keeping me company, and I appreciate it.  

I would like to echo this sentiment as well. This forum is one of the things that are keeping me grounded. I appreciate all of you and I love the free flow exchange of thoughts, ideas, helpful tips (thank you @Kohola3 for the link to your happy place!) and insights. It's pretty amazing that these snark-able Browns brought us together here!! 

• Love 18

I love it here, too.  We have so many smart posters here, and we know to direct our snark on the Brown Clown band of idiots, not on one another.  It's definitely a happy place that I look forward to, never more than now. ❤️

• Love 14

We just started re-watching (from Episode 1) "Call the Midwife."

It's calming to see people who have lived in adversity for as long as they can remember, and there's little thought mentioned as to the hope of their lives changing.  It's a lot different from what we've had here in America.

And yet, there is joy, kindness and babies.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We just started re-watching (from Episode 1) "Call the Midwife."

I ADORE Call the MIdwife.  The new season starts this weekend!  That will keep me happy for a while.  Also rewatching The West Wing, an all time favorite.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I ADORE Call the MIdwife.  The new season starts this weekend!  That will keep me happy for a while.  Also rewatching The West Wing, an all time favorite.

thx for that tidbit. my cable box died in a power outage a few weeks ago and all the shows i normally have scheduled were lost. i have to enter them now as i am reminded or see them in the guide. i would have missed out on this.

• Love 1

We have now surpassed China and every other country in the entire world as to the number of people with the Coronavirus.   (Unless China lied.)  ::Snort::

I am worried if the country goes back to business as usual, as the president suggests, that it will get way worse.

Just scared and wanted to vent.  Don't stone me.  😞

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

We have now surpassed China and every other country in the entire world as to the number of people with the Coronavirus.   (Unless China lied.)  ::Snort::

I am worried if the country goes back to business as usual, as the president suggests, that it will get way worse.

You’re not alone in being scared. How could any rational person not be scared?  Just trying to take it one day at a time. 

• Love 13

This is the first I've heard of Call the Midwife.  I'm going to see what I've missed.

I won't ever look at doing my own grocery shopping in the same way again.  

37 minutes ago, Kbo said:

You’re not alone in being scared. How could any rational person not be scared?  Just trying to take it one day at a time. 

I am, too.  Scared and trying to take it like it comes, one day at a time.  You fellow posters are helping me more than you'll ever know.  Thank you! 

• Love 12

I'm sharing a photo I took recently of the cats at the Pottery studio I work out of.  Toby is the tuxedo and he was a semi feral kitten that the owners mother tamed on her farm.  I believe he is 10 or 11 years old and still quiet and shy (unless he wants someone to open the door to outside) and the lovely calico is the new arrival Sophie.  She was found in the woods nearby, very underweight and covered in fleas and ticks.  She is now growing nicely and very happy in her new world.  A pottery studio is a play land for the cats!   She has managed to break a few things, walk colored clay over students work, she steals sponges and rubber bands and she loves to turn on the pottery wheels when your back is turned.  It's often hard to work when you end up playing with the kitten...

1095817484_TobyandSophie.thumb.jpg.352b7642d1d0c69d4686f014e0785451.jpg

• Love 21
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

This is the first I've heard of Call the Midwife.  I'm going to see what I've missed.

It's nice because you don't need to go back to season one to start since the characters have been somewhat fluid.  There are a few that have been on since the beginning (Sister Julianne, Fred, Sheila, the doctor) and others just a season or two.  It has been so interesting to see the vast changes in obstetrical care - the first season was set in 1050 or so and now they are into the late 60's.  I do hope you like it.  Very realistic (but tasteful) birth scenes so be prepared if you are squeamish at all.  Their Christmas episodes are fun - one was set in Africa and 2019 was on a remote island in northern Scotland.

And while sheltering in place, I get the dog out for walks although not quite this many.

walks.jpg

Although my girl does love to watch the webcam of the puppies playing on my laptop.

20200321_183401.jpg

Edited by Kohola3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 11

I’m still working every day, I work at a pet food store.  Essential.  We are still swamped, even though the governor has issued a stay at home mandate.  Whole families filled my store today, all day.  Out shopping.  I feel trapped by their ignorance and bad decisions. Yes, social distancing.  But when I ring someone up, I am maybe a foot from them.  Not to mention all the people who are angry and “going elsewhere” because our distributors are out and can’t stock us with certain dog foods.  Good luck, sunshine.  If we can’t get it, neither can anyone else.  People are SO ugly out there. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I’m still working every day, I work at a pet food store.  Essential.  We are still swamped, even though the governor has issued a stay at home mandate.  Whole families filled my store today, all day.  Out shopping.  I feel trapped by their ignorance and bad decisions. Yes, social distancing.  But when I ring someone up, I am maybe a foot from them.  Not to mention all the people who are angry and “going elsewhere” because our distributors are out and can’t stock us with certain dog foods.  Good luck, sunshine.  If we can’t get it, neither can anyone else.  People are SO ugly out there. 

Yes they are. I was at the store this week and this nasty old man was griping “I’ve been here 3 times this week and each time you’re out of chicken” in a very hateful tone  to the overworked, underpaid and lovely worker. 

I wanted to say “Why don’t you go fuck off somewhere else and leave her alone”.  Instead I stayed silent and felt very sad and walked on. 

So know for every jerk you encounter there is likely another one who wants to pick up 50 LBs of kitty litter and throw it at them but don’t know what to do in the situation. I am proud of you for going in and appreciate all of your hard work. Stay strong, kiddo. 

• Love 16

Another day at work, another day of disbelief.  I’m so over it, I could cry.  Soooo many people congregating in my store (pet food and supply). Calling, wanting curbside pickup, which I love but there are so many people in killing time and asking tons of questions and wanting conversation.  I feel like I am a captive to their germs and their mocking of the virus. 
We got tons of shipment in; by my 49 year old self, I broke down 6 huge pallets of dog food and super heavy kitty litter bags. There’s so much more to it, but the crux of the issue is allllll the people coming in, even though the governor has mandated a lockdown. 
I am happy to have my job. I just....don’t get all the people coming in and hanging out. 
Thanks for listening.  I am just so over it. 

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Another day at work, another day of disbelief.  I’m so over it, I could cry.  Soooo many people congregating in my store (pet food and supply). Calling, wanting curbside pickup, which I love but there are so many people in killing time and asking tons of questions and wanting conversation.  I feel like I am a captive to their germs and their mocking of the virus. 
We got tons of shipment in; by my 49 year old self, I broke down 6 huge pallets of dog food and super heavy kitty litter bags. There’s so much more to it, but the crux of the issue is allllll the people coming in, even though the governor has mandated a lockdown. 
I am happy to have my job. I just....don’t get all the people coming in and hanging out. 

Could you get your hands on some masks? Maybe if you wore a mask and gloves they would be reminded it's not fun and games.

Meowww, check our the Sweet Fellowship thread in the Duggar forum.  There is a great sign there from Aldi, about using one shopping cart and one family member in the store.  Just what you need!

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 5

I just want to say a HUGE thank you, for all of you working in thankless ‘essential’ roles at the moment. This kind of unfortunate disaster brings out the worst of humanity and highlights people’s true colors and ignorance. Just know many people DO appreciate you and value you! You are a hero right now, to which the world relies on!  This pandemic also highlights which are the REAL important jobs in the world and how woefully underpaid and undervalued many of them are compared to the ‘non-essential’ jobs - the people out working now on the frontline, are the backbone of our society and without them, the world would grind to a halt - the retail workers, the farmers, the truck drivers, the nurses and paramedics; they all deserve much love and appreciation for getting up and facing this head on, while the stock brokers, CEO’s and lawyers of the world can bunker down in safety. I’m going to add teachers that essential list, as in Australia our schools are still not closed and teachers are out there with 500+ children a day, who can’t social distance, don’t have great hygiene and they don’t even have access to hand sanitizer. (I personally value teachers very much as I’ve left work to homeschool my children - woooo boy, are they worth their weight in gold! It’s not easy! 😆)

I’m also amazed by the stupidity and values of people during this time! I can’t safely do my job as a cosmetic nurse whilst maintaining appropriate distance (despite our government not introducing specific rules to protect those in our industry), so I decided to do the right thing and close so I can school my children from home (so we won’t be a link in the covid transmission chain), yet still have women phoning and messaging me, complaining and abusing me, as to why I can’t provide them with their usual skin treatments, Botox and filler services! Just pure madness that vanity is some people’s priority in a time like this 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Meowwww said:

In Michigan many essential businesses are limiting the number of people in the stores to 5 at a time.  That way they are away from each other, they aren't prompted to hang around and visit and, after standing in line outside, are more likely to get in and out.  I feel for you, what a horrible situation.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Loneliness. Basically. 

Today I went to Safeway right when they opened at 6 am. There were only like 15 other people shopping so it was blessedly quiet and slow since 90% of shoppers were going thru the self checkout. I spent 10 minutes after being checked out chatting with the guy who runs the in-store Starbucks (who I've known for years) and my checkout dude. At a respectful social distance of course. They actually had hand sanitizer! Selling behind the counter. $2.50 each for like a 2.5 oz bottle, limit 2. 

All the bars, standalone Starbucks, restaurants, churches etc are closed so there's nowhere for single people like me to go other than the park. It's raining today. Sigh. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

My work started the stay at home this week, I went into the office yesterday to gather up some files and my boss was there and asked me why I was there, I told her I needed a reason to shower.

Stopped at a grocery store which I hate going to on a good day, but it was on my way home, I was able to get what I needed, bread, eggs milk and coffee and a few other things. I left not feeling so defeated..which was the 1st time in about 2 weeks.

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I left not feeling so defeated..which was the 1st time in about 2 weeks.

It's a whole new world when looking forward to getting out for a single shopping trip is a highlight of a week. I, too, have been sheltering for two weeks except for a trip to the dump.  Throwing a bag of trash in the dumpster wasn't as thrilling as I thought it might be.  

I did do a very long video call with my cousin and goddaughter on Sunday and that was uplifting.  Good to see some other face but mine when I brush my teeth.   Half the time I forget to comb my hair!

• Love 8

I am thinking of going to Super Target today to hopefully buy some things I haven't been able to find.  Like Eggs - for weeks on end.  I was wondering.... we are on a state wide lockdown - if you go to Target are you allowed to buy something that is not groceries?  I need some new socks badly.  I could certainly wait it you are not allowed to get them, but I was wondering about this last night.  I'm not planning on browsing and window shopping - I know right where they are - it would be a grab and go, just like the grocery items.  Anyone?

8 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I'm not planning on browsing and window shopping - I know right where they are - it would be a grab and go, just like the grocery items.  Anyone?

In Michigan you can purchase anything in the store.  Walmart has the early hour for seniors on Tuesday and you can get whatever is in the store.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I am thinking of going to Super Target today to hopefully buy some things I haven't been able to find.  Like Eggs - for weeks on end.  I was wondering.... we are on a state wide lockdown - if you go to Target are you allowed to buy something that is not groceries?  I need some new socks badly.  I could certainly wait it you are not allowed to get them, but I was wondering about this last night.  I'm not planning on browsing and window shopping - I know right where they are - it would be a grab and go, just like the grocery items.  Anyone?

I think as long as it is at a store that sells groceries it is fine.  As all other clothing stores have shut down for now.

• Love 4

No problem buying socks at Target.  No one cared.  My son also grabbed a boxed "entire series" of Parks and Recreation.  I love Chris Pratt, so I'm game.  We watched the first episode while we ate lunch and all I can say it "Meh".  But it almost always takes more than one or two episodes to get into a series.  This seems like it might be a nice way to get through quarantine.  

The grocery department at Target is still majorly picked over.  No sour cream, butter, cream cheese, yogurt, very few gallons of milk.  Very few frozen foods, canned goods, no T.P. , cat food really picked over.  I FOUND BREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  100% whole wheat bread!  Thrilled about that!  No eggs.  There were a bunch of people shopping and these apparently aren't the type of people who care about keeping space between them and others.  I had to constantly move away when people would come to stand next to me.  Ugh!!  I saw one man wearing gloves.

Stopped at our local Safeway grocery store because I still needed to find a few things.  I found a few containers of sour cream (only needed one!) and  ::::::::drum roll:::::::  they had several packages of paper towels (didn't need) and a couple of packages of toilet paper!  So I bought a package of Scot's brand toilet paper.   I also got two containers of yogurt.  I used my own large bag in both stores and no one cared.  In Target they had an employee stationed by the shopping carts who did nothing but wipe them down for shoppers.  (Again, I had my own bag.)  The clerk by the four self-checkout lanes would wipe down each area after a customer left.  Nice!  

Well that was MY thrill for awhile.  sigh.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Home Depot is open and I'm tempted to go, but it's raining today so not a good day to transplant the heirloom tomato seedlings that are under a Gro-Light in my garage right now - besides I need about 5 bags of potting mix, a trellis, tomato fertilizer, etc. and I don't want to dirty up the trunk of my still-new car, so I'm probably going to just have all that stuff delivered. Home Depot charges $9 for deliveries I think...I don't want to just loiter and be one of THOSE people.  

I feel like Steve Martin and Charles Grodin in the old film The Lonely Guy right now. ugh!  
That said, I'm editing my Match.com profile at this moment.  Apparently, this is a great time to do online dating and get to know someone for when we're released from Purgatory.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I read that every 17 minutes a person in New York dies from the Coronavirus.

That may have been yesterday. One every 17 minutes is 85/day.  200 would be one every 7 minutes.  😭

On 3/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, Kyanight said:

My daughters job sent everyone home until further notice, they were not deemed an essential business.  She made up face masks for me ,some for my mother, and various other family members.  I wear one at work every day.  Not sure if it will help, but hopefully it will.  Yes I'm worried also.  But I try not to think about it.  As I am working 6 days a week I only go to the store on Sunday, last week I went to 5 different stores to find all the things I needed to get.

1 minute ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

last week I went to 5 different stores to find all the things I needed to get.

That's my problem!  Today I also went to four different stores.  I thought after that first couple weeks, stock wasn't going to be a problem - but that simply is not true.  I HAVE to have distilled water for medical reasons and it's sold out almost everywhere - along with a lot of other items.

17 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

That's my problem!  Today I also went to four different stores.  I thought after that first couple weeks, stock wasn't going to be a problem - but that simply is not true.  I HAVE to have distilled water for medical reasons and it's sold out almost everywhere - along with a lot of other items.

Sorry to hear that.  Yes I only saw regular drinking water.    We have a store called Brookshire's and it is only in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas.  They are fairly well stocked up, but still no TP, paper towels, rice or beans.

• Useful 2