Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Costco this afternoon was out of homogenized and 2% milk, we use 2% at our house and debated buying the skim milk that was on the shelf and buying whipping or table cream to enrich it to our taste.  Luckily, I found some 2% elsewhere.

The dry staples like rice and pasta were there but in scanty quantities.  I thought maybe I should buy some flour and if need be, could haul out the old bread machine and make like Dora Domestic.  The smallest bags of flour were 10 Kg (about 22 lbs), so come on down to my place if you're hankering for bread or buns.

ok.  Where do you live, again?   Our stores are out of all kinds of stuff.

• Love 1

There are a number of businesses and churches in my town starting food banks for kids who normally depended on their school meal. One of the local restaurants is offering free breakfast for as long as school is out, no questions asked. That's the good side of all of this. To know that we still care about each other.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

ok.  Where do you live, again?   Our stores are out of all kinds of stuff.

I'm in Ontario, Canada. There was the expected depleted toilet paper, but we had laid in the big Costco bundle a few weeks before the panic started.  Other than that, there was no noticeable difference, the sample stations were not operating though and clerks were there wiping down the handles of the carts as they came in from the parking lot.

A Little Levity:---Q. - Why is there such a toilet paper shortage?

A. - Because when anyone sneezes, everyone shits themselves.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I'm in Ontario, Canada. There was the expected depleted toilet paper, but we had laid in the big Costco bundle a few weeks before the panic started.  Other than that, there was no noticeable difference, the sample stations were not operating though and clerks were there wiping down the handles of the carts as they came in from the parking lot.

And talking about sneezing we are heading into allergy season...there will be a lot of sneezing everywhere!

• Love 7

They just closed all Washington state schools for SIX WEEKS. I get why they’re doing it but it’s going to be a long six weeks.  At least my husband is home during the day so he can corral our 7 year old. My older kids will be doing school online. I really feel for families with two working parents and no childcare. Such a stressful situation. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

And talking about sneezing we are heading into allergy season...there will be a lot of sneezing everywhere!

Interesting thing about sneezing, is that it’s not a symptom of Covid-19. Obviously If someone did happen to sneeze while carrying it, it wouldn’t be good as they’re spraying the virus aerosol particles out there, but people need to relax on the sneezing paranoia. You can just as easily spread the virus by even exhale breathing full stop if you’re a carrier (from what I’ve read it’s similar to influenza that way).  My husband has allergies to dust and pollen, on every medication he can to control it, but sneezes escape here and there into his elbow and he dreads going out in public as he gets death stares now. 
AFD3B88B-7FFE-4FD6-8353-9E0EB7CF41E6.thumb.jpeg.f71235d587f0258be60b283f8101a935.jpeg

Edited by Sofa Sloth
Grammar
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1

Great post Sofa, and all very true, problem is, under the current situation, the majority of people are going to be freaked by people sneezing around them.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

There are a number of businesses and churches in my town starting food banks for kids who normally depended on their school meal. One of the local restaurants is offering free breakfast for as long as school is out, no questions asked. That's the good side of all of this. To know that we still care about each other.

My nephew's school district is going to provide "take away" sack meals for kids while the school is closed.  They just have to stop by and pick it up.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I saw a you tuber interviewing a Costco employee  who said they started limiting items to stop the customers from fighting and chaos.  The sample stations were suspended and those employees were offered work in the Costco stores doing other jobs. 

• Useful 5

You have to  buy a membership to shop at Costco so I think that implies an obligation to provide an experience that isn't chaotic. If that includes limiting items per customer, oh well, then do it.

Actually, I think all stores should be posting and enforcing limits in situations like this because what people are doing amounts to sanctioned looting.

Edited by suomi
clarity
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Kbo said:

My older kids will be doing school online. I really feel for families with two working parents and no childcare.

In my mostly poor rural area there is no way for kids to do work online - we don't have reliable internet access unless you pay the high dollar.  So not only will those kids be going without school sponsored lunches, they will not be able to do schoolwork.  And in many cases both parents work at minimum wage jobs so it's unlikely there is anyone to watch the kids without giving up a paycheck.  

Man, we are all in a world of hurt, aren't we?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, suomi said:

You have to  buy a membership to shop at Costco so I think that implies an obligation to provide an experience that isn't chaotic. If that includes limiting items per customer, oh well, then do it.

Actually, I think all stores should be posting and enforcing limits in situations like this because what people are doing amounts to sanctioned looting.

I don't think the stores were expecting this...

When I was in Safeway I saw some random dude open a box of Ritz crackers, take out a sleeve of them, put the box back on the shelf, and start eating. 

He was in one of the long lines so I guess he needed a snack. 

😳

15 hours ago, suomi said:

All the markets near me are out of TP (and  nearly out of wipes, Kleenex and paper towels) so I checked Amazon last night, nada. 

re "Can you spare a square upthread?" there are lots of people on eBay selling TP for 99 cents per square! But it was described as "new, unused" so that's a screamin' deal.

I ended up getting 4 rolls for $12 and that and the 4 rolls in the cupboard will have to do while I decide which bidet to get. 

Bastards!

We just ordered those bidet bottles from Amazon. We have plenty of TP, but, right now seemed like a good idea.  And funny story, there were some offered "used"!  What?????

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I stopped last night at my local grocery store, wow , shelves empty of TP, the 20lb bags of rice, lost of empty pasta, canned meat shelves, thankfully no shortage of Oreo cookies. My work just cut our hours down to 32 and almost everyone is told to work from home. I just wonder what the next 30 days will bring. Seriously, I hope the nip this thing soon 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Seriously, I hope the nip this thing soon 

I don't think nipping is possible but hopefully the social distancing approach will keep the number of new cases contained. In Michigan most of the newly diagnosed cases are people with a history of international travel with a few a history of domestic travel. 

I am not prone to going overboard but I did cancel travel plans for Easter. In an airport it is difficult to keep the recommended distance between yourself and strangers.  Otherwise I have kept up my daily routine and just got back from the supermarket.  Just washed up afterward.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I don't think the stores were expecting this...

When I was in Safeway I saw some random dude open a box of Ritz crackers, take out a sleeve of them, put the box back on the shelf, and start eating. 

He was in one of the long lines so I guess he needed a snack. 

😳

He's a big butt head!  I saw a couple with some older kids open up a package of cookies and eat a bunch and leave it on the gum packages by the register and pay for their other stuff.  I said THREE times (increasingly louder) "Excuse me!  You forgot to pay for your cookies!"  They were pretending they didn't speak English is my guess, and I don't know enough Spanish to say "cookies", lol.  I told the clerk at the register before the people even had their change that they were eating the cookies and I handed her the opened package and she just ignored me, so "oh well" I guess.  That's stealing.  Ritz dude is a thief and so were these people.  And you can bet they do it almost every time they go to the store because they can get away with it.

I was looking at movie titles at Walmart once and I watched a man open up a toy car and give it to his kid to play with and he laid the packaging on a shelf next to him.  A few minutes later the wife joined the husband.  The dad put the toy on the shelf next to the torn up package and they all walked off together.  SERIOUSLY?  His kid couldn't wait a few minutes without the Dad doing that?  They didn't steal the car, but now it couldn't be sold.

1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

We just ordered those bidet bottles from Amazon. We have plenty of TP, but, right now seemed like a good idea.  And funny story, there were some offered "used"!  What?????

I'm trying to get the words "Gross" and "disgusting" out of my head.  I'm not sure what these are, but maybe they come attached together (four-six bottles in a bundle?) and they have just been separated from the outer packaging or something .. so have to be classified as used?  The alternative is just repulsive!   lol

• Love 5
15 hours ago, suomi said:

I try not to let it happen but shit like this moves my meter from "Most people are good" to "Most people are assholes."

I had to go to the store for regular grocery shopping last night.

You know how sometimes you just feel really judgmental but you try to tell yourself to be kind and not think the worst if people? Well, if you want to bath in judgey judgement, just go to your nearest store. The guy in front of me had 7 gallons of bottled water and a gallon of cleaning vinegar lol. I was judging people left and right hahaha. But I wanted to do the cool head nod to the lady behind me, probably in her 60’s: her cart consisted of a single travel Pack of tissues, several packs of gum and a shit ton of snacks and candy. 

Also, there was no tp. People are ridiculous. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I bought mine (American Standard) from a website called "Just Bidets".  It is a "mom and pop" site that sells every brand and type of bidet you can think of.  When you email a question, the owner answers you, and he was so helpful.  I also have found that I like using the flannel "family cloths" (aka "untoilet paper") that I found on Etsy.  I keep a dedicated lidded waste can with a plastic bag liner next to the potty, so when it is time to do laundry, I just dump the contents into the washer--never have to touch the flannels.  So easy.  It is no different than washing cloth diapers or underwear.  I do mine on their own using regular detergent with added vinegar and a little bleach.  Hot dryer, and they are ready to be used over and over and over again. This has cut my need for TP to almost nothing.  (and they feel better...)

I cloth diaper and made my own cloth wipes for that. I’ve used them in a pinch when my children wouldn’t deign to get me to. Worse comes to worse, I’ll pull out my fabric stash and serge some more together. I never got a diaper sprayer (or hand held bidet sprayer) but it’s tempting. Especially when my crohn’s is flaring. 

It does feel much nicer than toilet paper and no fuzzy bits left behind 😉 

• Love 3

Like most publications, the online edition of the New York Times limits the number of articles available to non-subscribers. This has been suspended for articles relating to the virus. Nice move!

OTOH, this guy is a tool. By driving for miles around he was able to fill a U-Haul truck with 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer and now he can't sell them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

• Love 2

it's getting odd out there. Things changing fast.  Our Kroger owned store was crowded, they had plenty of water and paper products all over the store. I was surprised they were limiting soda.  But what really shocked me what was gone from the shelves.  No pillsbury roll, or refrigerated baking items. No bacon or breakfast meats.  No packaged meat in the open coolers.  there was some pork products. If you wanted any fresh chicken or red meat, you had to get it at the butcher counter.  they were also totally out of breakfast foods, like packaged breakfast sandwiches. pancakes.

the soup, cereal, butter, cookies, chips, ice cream, cereal aisles all half gone.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, crimson23 said:

But what really shocked me what was gone from the shelves.  No pillsbury roll, or refrigerated baking items. No bacon or breakfast meats.  No packaged meat in the open coolers.  there was some pork products. If you wanted any fresh chicken or red meat, you had to get it at the butcher counter.  they were also totally out of breakfast foods, like packaged breakfast sandwiches. pancakes.

the soup, cereal, butter, cookies, chips, ice cream, cereal aisles all half gone.

Probably for the kids being out of school. Things younger kids can make for themselves or cook quickly. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I was at my regular grocery store yesterday afternoon, about 15 hours after they announced the school closings, and while it was busier than usual, but not outrageously so - think day before Thanksgiving but with more stuff in the carts.  The store had pallets of tp and paper towels they were unloading, as well as non-dairy milks and kefir-type beverages.   The weird thing is that brownie mixes were wiped out, but not cake & cookie mixes.  Peanut butter supply was very low, but plenty of Jelly.  The cereals that were on sale were gone, but lots of regular priced stuff available.  I guess in that case, people were worried, but still frugal.  My 91year-old (92 next month) mother was relieved to know there is not an ice cream shortage.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, crimson23 said:

it's getting odd out there. Things changing fast.  Our Kroger owned store was crowded, they had plenty of water and paper products all over the store. I was surprised they were limiting soda.  But what really shocked me what was gone from the shelves.  No pillsbury roll, or refrigerated baking items. No bacon or breakfast meats.  No packaged meat in the open coolers.  there was some pork products. If you wanted any fresh chicken or red meat, you had to get it at the butcher counter.  they were also totally out of breakfast foods, like packaged breakfast sandwiches. pancakes.

I bought 2 packages of Pillsbury rolls the last time I went to the store - but the shelf was FULL!  It looked like I took the only two packages that day.  I wonder what it looks like now?   A friend of mine told me that all of the frozen foods were gone, but that same day I noticed the freezers were full of frozen foods.

• Useful 4

it's hard to gauge whether they are out of things or just don't have the employees available to restock it all.  Every checkout lane was open. I got an email from the store announcing they were hiring. That was  a first. 

1 minute ago, Kyanight said:

I bought 2 packages of Pillsbury rolls the last time I went to the store - but the shelf was FULL!  It looked like I took the only two packages that day.  I wonder what it looks like now?   A friend of mine told me that all of the frozen foods were gone, but that same day I noticed the freezers were full of frozen foods.

It also depends on where you live. We are outside of Chicago so we have a lot more options than some smaller towns.  

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, crimson23 said:

It also depends on where you live. We are outside of Chicago so we have a lot more options than some smaller towns.  

I live outside Denver - I imagine it's somewhat similar for us, although you probably have a lot denser population!   Almost EVERY day I think to myself that "I live in Chicago now" because it's ALWAYS so damn windy!  YOU are supposed to be the windy city!!  Not us!

• Love 3

If you have the means, it's a great time to give cash to local food banks, even if it's only a little (or to the "feed the schoolkids" programs, if they are asking for funds).  Demand is going to skyrocket and prices for food will probably be higher than average (assuming they can even get it).  I donated to Second Harvest in my area a couple weeks ago, telling them it's because of the Corona virus, and a head honcho actually called me to thank me personally.  I can use all the good karma I can get, and they can certainly use the cash.

Also, a lot of people will likely wind up having to get rid of their pets because they can't afford to feed them; give to local shelters as well if you can.

Good luck to us all.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

WalMart scoop from northern Utah (we have two in our town). I've been ordering online for pickup every week since November and the deal is you pick up the day after you order. This week I couldn't pick up until the second day (today) because all the hourly slots yesterday were full. They send an email about 20 minutes before the start of your hour letting you know your order is ready and when you get there you call them and they bring it out. My pickup today was 4-5pm and a half hour ahead I got an email saying they were running behind and my order would be ready later then scheduled. 

I called when I got to the store at 5pm and said I'm here, if you need more time I can come back later. She said "Corporate sent a memo to all stores this early this morning telling us to cut off pickups at 2pm local time and to suspend online ordering until further notice." She said that was because their system cancels an order when they can't fill a certain percentage of it. She sounded a bit harried, otherwise I would've said "And when were you planning to notify me that my order was canceled eight hours ago?" Her best guess was that online ordering might resume in a couple weeks. 

I trudged inside in my night wear that can pass as lounge wear and luckily I had sorta done my hair and had a jacket with me. An employee was posting a sign saying the store will be open from 7am to 11pm (instead of 24 hours). It wasn't terribly crowded but lots of shelves were empty or mostly empty. Plenty of milk, no eggs, very little butter or sour cream or yogurt, no fresh chicken, very little ground beef, lots of beef steaks and roasts and fresh pork, no canned fruit, very little canned vegetables or cereal, very little canned or dried soup, just a few boxes of saltines, eight 4-packs of tuna were left so I took 1. Plenty of cheese and lunch meat, bacon, sausage. The bakery and produce depts were fully stocked except for bananas, nada. The bread aisle was stocked like normal. No disposable diapers or baby wipes, no kleenex, no paper towels, ten 4-rolls of TP were left so I took 2 (and I saw a shit ton of people walking out with one or two 9-rolls of TP as I was walking in so I was like yay and went to that aisle first). I heard 2 people asking employees about distilled water for C-PAP machines, none available.

I mentioned the short hours to the cashier and she wasn't aware but she was glad, she said they need the time to re-stock. She said they're not out of anything, not even close to being out, they have pallets and pallets of everything, they just can't re-stock quickly enough. She said employees are ticked off about people grabbing 10 packages of TP or diapers or whatever but management doesn't listen to their input and refuses to place limits. 

• Love 4

All the empty shelves...so strange. Am I the only one who has always has several boxes of pasta, sauce, canned veggies & fruits and soup on hand? Our basement has a 9’ x 9’ room. I put some shelving up and keep some extra food there. Stuff like the above-mentioned items, plus things like toothpaste, toilet paper, deodorant, shaving cream. When things are on sale for a good price, I’ll buy like 3 or 4 of them. Because of this, I have no need to go to Krogers right now, except for eggs. Do none of these people keep extra stuff at their house? It’s mind-boggling to me. 

• Love 7

Grown ass adults (at least around here in PA) without children or grandchildren and without any child to give them to are buying up disposable diapers. Because they heard there’s a shortage. Direct quote. A mom in my mom group went up to this lady and asked her if she had grandkids or if she was getting them for needy families...a Costco cart full of baby diapers. No, she said. Fucking lemmings. 

(and lest anyone think this mom didn’t do her due diligence, she checked on the adult diaper section. Fully stocked. Words have abandoned me in the face of stupidity.)

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

Grown ass adults (at least around here in PA) without children or grandchildren and without any child to give them to are buying up disposable diapers. Because they heard there’s a shortage. Direct quote. A mom in my mom group went up to this lady and asked her if she had grandkids or if she was getting them for needy families...a Costco cart full of baby diapers. No, she said. Fucking lemmings. 

(and lest anyone think this mom didn’t do her due diligence, she checked on the adult diaper section. Fully stocked. Words have abandoned me in the face of stupidity.)

Color me stupid I guess.... but what are they going to DO with them?  Baby diapers?  Aren't they expensive?

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Color me stupid I guess.... but what are they going to DO with them?  Baby diapers?  Aren't they expensive?

Apparently the weasels are hoping to capitalize on other people's desperation.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Sandy W said:
21 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Apparently the weasels are hoping to capitalize on other people's desperation.

OHHHHHHHH!  People suck!

• Love 5

I was raised in music stores so songs and singers have always been a major interest. I stumbled onto something cool on youtube the other night and went down a rabbit hole for a few hours. I was watching Steve Perry videos and saw some vocal coaches evaluating his live songs and from there I saw some people called reactors. 

Reactors are kids, OK late 20s early 30s but kids to me, who have youtube channels where they listen to a song for the first time while taping their reaction and in the comments people suggest more songs and it goes round and round.

The three guys I glommed onto are charming and well-spoken and they have similar reactions: "My granny and my mom and my aunties always said their music was the best, the songs were about important things, important feelings, and I was like blah, blah, blah but now I been listening and I LIKE that music!"

They smile and they bop and they get chills and sometimes they're near tears. "And these people don't auto-tune or lip synch or sing over their track, they sing for real." Welcome to my world, kiddo. It's a trip to watch their faces when they discover stuff that "I" consider classic. Like Patsy Cline or the Bee Gees or Linda Ronstadt or Steve Perry. It's like watching your baby the first time they eat ice cream.

One guy said, after listening to Linda Ronstadt, "Please tell me she's alive still, you guys keep sending me people who have passed."

Bonus: they're not into negativity. They post only the songs they liked and they delete negative comments about the videos or their opinions. Yay!

• Love 9

I could not believe my eyes.  The Costco in my area had people lined up around the building this morning, and I was not going to stand in a huge line like that, in the cold.  The world has gone nuts.  I shopped at my neighborhood Safeway, and there were no more customers there, than usual.  No paper products or antibacterial stuff to be had, and no bags of potatoes.  Those were the only empty shelves I noticed.  Crazy times.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

@suomi  

Thanks for the recommendations. I have watched all 3 videos that you posted, and for the last hour or so have been watching the young guy, JayVee.  It's so sweet to wastch a young'un listen to classic music for the first time and really get into it!  Fun!!

• Love 5

@DakotaJustice, is that for everyone, even those who haven't exhibiting any symptoms?

My office finally closed its doors (100% telecommuting for us starting tomorrow).  I work in Ann Arbor, MI, home to the University of Michigan, and the news just showed a shit-ton of kids out and about celebrating St. Patty's Day.  Dummies.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

@DakotaJustice, is that for everyone, even those who haven't exhibiting any symptoms?

My office finally closed its doors (100% telecommuting for us starting tomorrow).  I work in Ann Arbor, MI, home to the University of Michigan, and the news just showed a shit-ton of kids out and about celebrating St. Patty's Day.  Dummies.

Everyone. 

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-Bay-Area-shelter-in-place-COVID-19-15135282.php

My mom is fortunately in Napa County which isn't affected. 

Apparently we're allowed to go on a hike or get out for exercise as long as we practice social distancing...thank God because my place is on the small side 😕

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I work in Ann Arbor, MI, home to the University of Michigan, and the news just showed a shit-ton of kids out and about celebrating St. Patty's Day.  Dummies.

Same thing happened in Lansing. But the Governor put a stop to that with all bars and restaurants closing except for carry outs.  I can't believe the irresponsibility of those asshole students.  They might survive it but they are complicit in killing off others by passing it along.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

We were just told my county and five other counties in the Bay Area are on mandatory shelter in place until further notice

I am pretty much doing that voluntarily but then I'm in the high risk old folks category. I do go out in nature, took a walk at the state park today. But I am avoiding stores as much as possible.  And no restaurants open so that's not an issue.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I am pretty much doing that voluntarily but then I'm in the high risk old folks category. I do go out in nature, took a walk at the state park today. But I am avoiding stores as much as possible.  And no restaurants open so that's not an issue.

I just went to my local tiny market - the line was insane! But I wanted to get mushrooms and pita bread. 

• Love 1

I just went to my local tiny market - the line was insane! But I wanted to get mushrooms and pita bread. 

You can't find bread or milk anywhere.   The clerk at the store said that they were surprised by some milk this morning but it sold out almost immediately.  I asked when they will get more - he said maybe a truck will come on Sunday.   I can only get to the stores at night and by then the hoards of people bought it all hours before.  

We were just told my county and five other counties in the Bay Area are on mandatory shelter in place until further notice 😕

My sister lives there. She is trying to keep it together - her husband is in the medical field. We are all late 50s. I hope that the edict does what is intended - to stop the spread. Sending you good thoughts, DakotaJ.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

You can't find bread or milk anywhere.   The clerk at the store said that they were surprised by some milk this morning but it sold out almost immediately.  I asked when they will get more - he said maybe a truck will come on Sunday.   I can only get to the stores at night and by then the hoards of people bought it all hours before.  

I managed to get pita bread and mushrooms, but bananas are sold out, as are eggs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Every time I am tempted to descend into the doldrums over this mess (which is way too often since we just started the cycle and it's only going to get worse before it gets better) I try to think of England during WWII with severe shortages AND daily bombings.  Time for me to buck up and soldier on.  

• Love 21