Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

YOURE INFRINGING ON MAH RIGHTS!! You SEE HOW THEIR TAKING OUR RIGHTS AWAY!!

Doesn't it make you stabby?  Don't these morons ever look at the statistics, at projections?  Maybe they need to see a graphic of the stack of bodies in China and Italy.  Morons.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Lovecat said:

For those with anxiety and a fondness for aquariums, I highly recommend the Monterey Bay Aquarium's webcams!  Yesterday I caught a livestream from the penguin cam and learned a lot about my favorite birds while watching them hop about happily.  This morning I watched a MeditOCEAN with the Moon Jellies on YouTube--10 minutes of a calming voice guiding you through a meditation while the moon jellies blooped along peacefully.  If you're not into the woo-woo, turn the sound off; it's still super relaxing.  And best of all, OTTER CAM!!  I legit rolled around on my back, squeaking in delight.  

Link

Thank you for the link.Those otters are too cute!

• Love 4

My morning routine includes tea and watching the birds at my bird feeder.  We have been having torrential rains here in Pa.  Here is a very grainy photo I took through my rain covered window of a pair of Mourning Doves enjoying the puddle made from the downspout.

1375400436_mourningdoves.jpg.f58cef2608e2797792a434a16baf13c7.jpg

• Love 18

My sister had a great idea and I have cleared it with the local nursing homes.

Right now the nursing home residents are cut off from seeing their families. They have suspended all of their group activities. Can you imagine being stuck in your room and not being able to go anywhere, not even for a walk in the hall?

The nursing home administrators welcome any mail for any of the residents. In our little town, they have asked homeschooling children to put together letters to cheer up the residents. They're going to include some pictures and drawings and so forth.

I thought I would do the same thing. I will find pictures of local attractions and include them. It's easy enough to do a file and insert pictures and make multiple copies for distribution. It's not much but it makes me feel as though I am helping out someone less fortunate. I am at home but I have a whole house to wander through. Plus my dog. I am blessed not to be in a nursing home yet so maybe it's good karma if I help out!

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
12 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

My sister had a great idea and I have cleared it with the local nursing homes.

Right now the nursing home residents are cut off from seeing their families. They have suspended all of their group activities. Can you imagine being stuck in your room and not being able to go anywhere, not even for a walk in the hall?

The nursing home administrators welcome any mail for any of the residents. In our little town, they have asked homeschooling children to put together letters to cheer up the residents. They're going to include some pictures and drawings and so forth.

I thought I would do the same thing. I will find pictures of local attractions and include them. It's easy enough to do a file and insert pictures and make multiple copies for distribution. It's not much but it makes me feel as though I am helping out someone less fortunate. I am at home but I have a whole house to wander through. Plus my dog. I am blessed not to be in a nursing home yet so maybe it's good karma if I help out!

You are your sister are such beautiful people!!!   

• Love 8

For those who think it can't happen here. "Washington State is engaged in grim discussions to determine which dying patients would get priority." 

"Roughly 280 people were on Wednesday’s three-hour conference call, including the chief medical officials and nursing representatives for most of the state’s hospitals and hospital systems, Ms. Sauer said. There was an overwhelming sense of shock, she said, as clinicians realized that the time to begin discussing such dire plans had arrived."

If you sort the comments from oldest to newest, AztecWarrior's reply to the first comment is food for thought.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/us/coronavirus-ration-hospitals-seattle-washington.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by suomi
clarity
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Roslyn said:

My morning routine includes tea and watching the birds at my bird feeder.  We have been having torrential rains here in Pa.  Here is a very grainy photo I took through my rain covered window of a pair of Mourning Doves enjoying the puddle made from the downspout.

1375400436_mourningdoves.jpg.f58cef2608e2797792a434a16baf13c7.jpg

I love doves, especially this time of year when they court and pair off.  We hear "hoot, hoot, hoot" outside, and go out & watch them.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Another thing, they presented customers entering with a box of plastic gloves you could just pluck out like kleenex, then a bin to discard them as you exited the store.  Nice touch.

Just be sure NOT TO TOUCH YOUR FACE while wearing the gloves.  You [the royal You, not you personally, Sandy] can't absorb the virus through your skin, so they are really not necessary.  If you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, it doesn't matter if you are wearing gloves or not, whatever you've got on your hands is inoculated into your mucus membranes.  Gloves or no gloves, don't touch your face while you're shopping, and use hand sanitizer when you get to the car.  Wash your hands well once you're home and have put everything away.  I know this is easier said than done!  

And what about masks, you may be asking?  Masks make more sense to me, but there is anecdotal evidence that the act of wearing a mask brings your hands up near your face more often to fiddle with/adjust it, so you may be better off leaving the masks to the health professionals that need them, maintaining social distance, and (say it with me now) NOT TOUCHING YOUR FACE 🙂

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

FYI: Make sure you read the instructions for any surface disinfectant you are using.  There are different instructions for cleaning vs. sanitizing vs. disinfecting.  Mine said to disinfect, wet surface and leave product on for 10 minutes, then wipe with dry cloth/wipe.  For food prep surfaces, you should then rinse with water.  The only reason I read the directions was because I was using a new brand.  Up until then, I thought just a spray and wipe was sufficient.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, deirdra said:

I was thrilled that my library books' due dates were pushed to April 30th.

Ours were pushed to June 1.  I came home with an armload after hitting up two of our libraries.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Here is a very grainy photo I took through my rain covered window of a pair of Mourning Doves enjoying the puddle made from the downspout.

I'm in NJ and have been enjoying watching local birds (mostly crows, I think) as they enjoy bathing in a big rain puddle that reappears every time it rains. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, suomi said:

If you sort the comments from oldest to newest, AztecWarrior's reply to the first comment is food for thought.

Can you give a summary, Suomi? I tried to find the reply and could not. Thanks

• Love 1

I work retail in a small family owned pet food store. We’ve been very busy lately, but today was crazy.  Soooo many people in, bored with working from home so they are shopping.  Bragging about how they are avoiding the virus but are able to go shop because they are bored. Hundreds of people, en masse.  Socializing, having a grand old time.  
This is not how you curb the virus spread.  My affluent town where I work was hopping today....people going from store to store, bored.  Community spread for real. 

6 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Can you give a summary, Suomi? I tried to find the reply and could not. Thanks

It's odd, the first post was removed along with the replies to it. Posts are moderated for civility but I'm not clear on how that entered into it. Anyway, the reply was four or five paragraphs, each one touching on an aspect of the fallout from medical care being triaged.

Two that I remember pertained to social ethics entering into triage decisions (whose ethics would be enforced and who would enforce them) and for-profit insurance (most likely meeting its downfall). 

Who gets the respirator: a 30-year-old with a violent criminal record or Jeff Bezos' 80-year-old mother? Which matters more, age or status? Who makes the decisions, who allows them to be made? 

The first bills for Covid treatment are coming in at around $25,000. What burdens will be added to the economy if for-profit hospitals and insurers are permitted to bankrupt extremely large numbers of patients in a relatively short period of time, many of whom will be unemployed (and therefore helpless financially) because of the pandemic, or already unable to pay? Who will give (or deny) permission for that to happen on a large scale? What happens to employees and stockholders if hospitals and insurers are forced to eat those expenses?

Good points were made regarding how this is going to be a huge test for our society in ways that haven't occurred to most of us yet. (And I hope I have remembered correctly). 

• Useful 9
5 hours ago, suomi said:

Good points were made regarding how this is going to be a huge test for our society in ways that haven't occurred to most of us yet.

There will be fallout from this the like of which we could never even imagine.  We're only at the very beginning, we have months to go.

Cheerful thoughts to start the day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Meowwww said:

This is not how you curb the virus spread.  My affluent town where I work was hopping today....people going from store to store, bored.  Community spread for real. 

I feel absolutely terrible for business owners if it comes to this but it's time to close down everything non-essential immediately.  People are not taking this seriously and by the time they do it will be too late.  If our citizens are that clueless they need to be managed like children.  How sad that in this time of availability to statistics, some continue to be so blase and uncaring.  It might not kill you but might be the start of the chain that kills many.

2020-03-20_14-26-01.jpg

• Useful 3
9 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I work retail in a small family owned pet food store. We’ve been very busy lately, but today was crazy.  Soooo many people in, bored with working from home so they are shopping.

Meowwww, I've been meaning to comment on this since the other day when you posted about working in the pet store. You and other folks working in grocery stores, drugstores and other stores are the unsung heroes of this crisis. Medical personal are heroes too, of course, but we don't tend to recognize the many, many, many store workers putting their lives, and the lives of their loved ones, at risk in order to keep our shelves stocked and our stores running. My heart goes out to you and others facing the same situation. You are brave. (That doesn't mean you're not scared - one can be both. Scared. And Brave. In fact the more scared you are, the more bravery you show by going to work.)

• Love 15
30 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Meowwww, I've been meaning to comment on this since the other day when you posted about working in the pet store. You and other folks working in grocery stores, drugstores and other stores are the unsung heroes of this crisis. Medical personal are heroes too, of course, but we don't tend to recognize the many, many, many store workers putting their lives, and the lives of their loved ones, at risk in order to keep our shelves stocked and our stores running. My heart goes out to you and others facing the same situation. You are brave. (That doesn't mean you're not scared - one can be both. Scared. And Brave. In fact the more scared you are, the more bravery you show by going to work.)

This is why I feel it's important now to seek out and patronize the small independent merchants in communities.  Most often, they are struggling at the best of times in competition with big box stores, who will lay off workers at the first drop in retail volume.  The family run business, through a sense of familiarity with employees circumstances, most often retain employees at great personal sacrifice because they care. 

If we must shop, now would be the time to support local small business.

• Love 11

We have a local small butcher store that no longer lets patrons come in the store. You phone in advance or from the parking lot, tell them what you want & they come out & put your order on your hood. It also reduces the constant cleaning with no customers touching everything in the shop.

• Love 12

Well, I ran out of napkins and my grocery store didn’t have any. So I went into my linen closet and dug around until I found all my cloth napkins.  I haven’t used them in YEARS! Some were even yellowed with age. These are desperate times!😀

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, deirdra said:

We have a local small butcher store that no longer lets patrons come in the store. You phone in advance or from the parking lot, tell them what you want & they come out & put your order on your hood. It also reduces the constant cleaning with no customers touching everything in the shop.

I just flashed on that I Love Lucy episode where they bought two sides of beef and attempted to unload some of it by putting on trench coats and setting up a table inside the butcher shop. 😄

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

A group of very speshul arrogant narcissists gathered at the SLC airport.

Utah health officials issue stern rebuke after hundreds greet LDS missionaries at airport in defiance of coronavirus warnings.

When officials of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints chartered five flights to evacuate more than 1,600 missionaries out of the Philippines due to the coronavirus, Salt Lake City International Airport spelled out ground rules for their arrival:

Two people could greet each missionary, and they had to wait at their cars.

Instead, hundreds of people gathered Sunday with balloons and welcome signs in the short-term parking garage at the airport, heedless of health officials’ pleas to avoid crowds larger than 10.

Missionaries, who had been ordered by the church to isolate themselves from their families for 14 days upon return, were swept into hugs. Some pulled off their masks to greet their well-wishers as children and seniors alike mingled in the scrum.

In all, about 900 of the 1,600-plus missionaries made their final stop at the Salt Lake City airport, Volmer said; the rest had connections elsewhere.

The church has alerted airport officials that more missionary arrivals are pending, Volmer said, but Woodruff would not say how many and referred only to a previous statement that the numbers would be “substantial.”

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/23/utah-health-officials/

Does Netflix fine tune your menu according to your selections? If so, I think they're on to me. Tonight for the first time I noticed the prominent placement of a category called Dark Psychological Dramas.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, suomi said:

A group of very speshul arrogant narcissists gathered at the SLC airport.

Utah health officials issue stern rebuke after hundreds greet LDS missionaries at airport in defiance of coronavirus warnings.

When officials of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints chartered five flights to evacuate more than 1,600 missionaries out of the Philippines due to the coronavirus, Salt Lake City International Airport spelled out ground rules for their arrival:

Two people could greet each missionary, and they had to wait at their cars.

Instead, hundreds of people gathered Sunday with balloons and welcome signs in the short-term parking garage at the airport, heedless of health officials’ pleas to avoid crowds larger than 10.

Missionaries, who had been ordered by the church to isolate themselves from their families for 14 days upon return, were swept into hugs. Some pulled off their masks to greet their well-wishers as children and seniors alike mingled in the scrum.

In all, about 900 of the 1,600-plus missionaries made their final stop at the Salt Lake City airport, Volmer said; the rest had connections elsewhere.

The church has alerted airport officials that more missionary arrivals are pending, Volmer said, but Woodruff would not say how many and referred only to a previous statement that the numbers would be “substantial.”

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/23/utah-health-officials/

Geeze, I guess these people think that God will protect them. It boggles my mind though how people are so dismissive of the risks they are giving so many other people once they may be exposed. They may not be sick but still transmit the virus. The infection chain is what is so frightening. 

• Love 6

I went to the first senior shopping hour at WalMart this morning at 6 before the store opened. In addition to the usual pop-up wipes for sanitizing cart handles there was also a commercial-type hand sanitizer pump.

An employee greeted shoppers in a fairly loud voice and made them aware of a specialty display near the registers. Packages of 8 rolls of Angel Soft TP and 6 rolls of Best Value paper towels, one per customer. Two items per customer available in two brands: 12 ounce hand sanitizer pump bottles, pop-up hand sanitizer wipes, household sanitizing wipes, sanitizing spray cleaner, aerosol sanitizer, flushable wipes and a few more similar items I can't remember.

Some grocery items were limited to one or two each but even when they weren't courtesy notices were posted along the way in many aisles, asking nicely for shoppers to be mindful that others need items also. 

The store was fully stocked (Kleenex!), haven't seen it that way for a couple weeks but I haven't shopped inside at 6am before. Ever. It's time for a mid-morning nap!

The senior shopping on Tuesday mornings is also scheduled for next week (March 31) and the week after (April 8). No idea if it will be extended beyond that but if you're a senior who has early morning transportation it's a wonderful thing. 

Edited by suomi
clarity
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11

I went to the store yesterday morning and it was more of the same.  No bread at all - not even in the bakery except for a couple of long loaves of garlic bread.  No paper products and a lot of the medications were cleaned out.  No frozen foods except for the evol Truffle mac and cheese I wanted - they had restocked that.  OH - no CHEESE!  We have a big long refrigeration unit just for cheese and it was empty except for one package of sliced provolone cheese for 50% off which I bought.  Not sure why it had a half price sticker, except that it expires March 31st?  Hopefully it wasn't left out somewhere and then they stuck it back on the shelf with the sticker, lol.     All of the shoppers kept a good distance away from each other, which was nice.  I brought in a big shopping bag and I used that as a shopping cart so that I didn't have to worry about using their carts or baskets, and then I went to the self checkout and used a cloth to press the buttons.    I tried to be as careful as possible, but you never know.  They just posted an article that said that the Coronavirus was still live in cabins of a Cruise ship that had been empty for 17 days.    I also heard last night on CNN (and today online) that President Trump is thinking of opening businesses back up, "defying public health experts".  I feel like we live in a science fiction movie, I swear.

• Love 8

The good thing about the early morning hours at Wallie World is that you get first crack at things since they are stocking the shelves at night. I haven't done that yet, I stocked up last week so I'm good for a while.

Hopefully  the governors (at least those with more sense than that moronic turnip) will mandate that their states stay closed up no matter what idiotic nonsense comes from Washington.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

The good thing about the early morning hours at Wallie World is that you get first crack at things since they are stocking the shelves at night. I haven't done that yet, I stocked up last week so I'm good for a while.

Hopefully  the governors (at least those with more sense than that moronic turnip) will mandate that their states stay closed up no matter what idiotic nonsense comes from Washington.

I honestly like our governor, Polis - but I think he's making a big mistake by not closing the state.  He's worried about the economy and I get that - but I'm worried this is going to spread really badly here.  Turnip, lol.   Weren't the Browns called turnips somewhere on this board?  I remember seeing them all with turnip bodies!  That is definitely going to be our new word for "doofus".  Turnip.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

They just posted an article that said that the Coronavirus was still live in cabins of a Cruise ship that had been empty for 17 days.    

I read an article yesterday, in the NY Times IIRC, referencing the fact that the virus has been found on cardboard and plastic 24 hours after being deposited there. I've been extra careful about handling incoming mail and I wonder how similar cardboard and paper are in terms of risk.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

I haven't been reading this thread, as I'm prone to anxiety and being stuck at home isn't helping.  Hubby (my hero) has been finding all the supplies we need, but a question popped into my mind.

It isn't hard to find toilet paper, etc., for two old people who are rationing it nonetheless.  But what does a huge family (like the Browns) do?  They are trying to maintain four separate sets of living quarters, requiring food, paper supplies, cleaning supplies, etc.  And I would assume that filming has shut down for the duration, so there are no production assistants to send out shopping.

Is Kody doing anything to help anyone other than Robyn?  How does Janelle feel about having to wait in the drive-thru line for a longer period of time when she goes out for food?  At least we know that Truely isn't upset about not being able to go out and ride her bike.  And is LulaRoe made of an acceptable fabric for Meri to use to make masks at home?

Honestly - IF Kody went out shopping, he'd probably be in the same situation as most of us.  "Here's your four pack of toilet paper, sir.  That's your limit.  What?  You have FOUR wives?  No problem.  Break the package open and give each one roll. . . . Next!"

• LOL 14
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I honestly like our governor, Polis - but I think he's making a big mistake by not closing the state.  He's worried about the economy and I get that - but I'm worried this is going to spread really badly here.  Turnip, lol.   Weren't the Browns called turnips somewhere on this board?  I remember seeing them all with turnip bodies!  That is definitely going to be our new word for "doofus".  Turnip.

That was done IIRC by our own @Sofa Sloth.  Hey, if the vegetable fits!

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

It isn't hard to find toilet paper, etc., for two old people who are rationing it nonetheless.  But what does a huge family (like the Browns) do?

Probably their fans help supply them.  I belong to an online neighborhood group and someone will write a post saying they need ________ , and the next thing you know they write a thank you follow-up saying 6 people came through for them.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Probably their fans help supply them.  I belong to an online neighborhood group and someone will write a post saying they need ________ , and the next thing you know they write a thank you follow-up saying 6 people came through for them.   

Our online neighborhood group keeps everyone up to date on what stores nearby are open and have supplies.  We're all high risk (old people), and really are sheltering in place.  I see some people walking around outside in the morning, but my allergies keep me inside.

Thank goodness, it seems like the hoarding situation is being ameliorated by stores which are limiting amounts.  

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

that is wonderful to hear how communities are helping out each other in this desperate time of need.  Your post made my day!!!

• Love 4

One thing about toilet paper and other necessities is that people (and their household members) have been using the TP at work and at school until now, and the same goes for a lot of meals.

Lots of people flipped lunch money to their kids while schools were open, lots of people ran next door or down the road during their lunch breaks. The number of people eating and bathroom-ing at home has skyrocketed. I think that's part of the panic-buying.

These chains are offering free delivery via their websites or apps:

IHOP through April 19 (and 20% off your first delivery order)

Wingstop through April 11

Chili's until further notice

Noodles & Company through March 31

Pieology through March 31

Denny's through April 12

Moe's Southwest Grill through April 10

Blaze Pizza no date announced

&pizza no date announced

KFC through April 26 

Chipotle through March 31

There are some others but they use a third party for delivery and the menu prices are higher because they include extra fees so I didn't list those. 

Olive Garden has $12.99 buy one/get one free entrees, no end date given. Order online or by phone. It's probably frozen, it usually is when you "take one" with your restaurant meal. When I BOGO'd this online a couple months ago it came with breadsticks and salad for two. Yeah, baby!

Edited by suomi
forgot about OG
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

I would kill for a restaurant to deliver but I am 20 miles from the nearest town and our only restaurants have shut down except for carry outs.   Not that I ate out a lot but probably once or twice a week and I miss it.  One less meal to have to cook!

• Love 4

Hey Kohola, here's another service you're missing out on:

Jeremiah Gratza, a co-owner of the Thunderbird Lounge in Phoenix, came up with a unique incentive for customers. After the city forced bars and restaurants to only offer delivery or drive-thru service, he started offering a free toilet paper roll for every beer or wine order.

“Since we had plenty of toilet paper for our bathrooms that we can no longer use, figured we’d give it out for free."

The scheme at Thunderbird Lounge appears to be working as its owners said they’ve been taking dozens of calls each day and made nearly $1,000 on their first day.

“We went until like 11 o’clock last night delivering and people were answering doors in their PJs and I handed them beer and toilet paper,” Thunderbird Lounge co-owner Brett Boyles told Fox News. "It’s kind of just door-to-door bartending, really."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/arizona-bar-finds-creative-way-to-keep-business-going-amid-coronavirus-closures/ar-BB11ExuJ?li=BBnb4R7

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, suomi said:

Hey Kohola, here's another service you're missing out on:

Jeremiah Gratza, a co-owner of the Thunderbird Lounge in Phoenix, came up with a unique incentive for customers. After the city forced bars and restaurants to only offer delivery or drive-thru service, he started offering a free toilet paper roll for every beer or wine order.

“Since we had plenty of toilet paper for our bathrooms that we can no longer use, figured we’d give it out for free."

The scheme at Thunderbird Lounge appears to be working as its owners said they’ve been taking dozens of calls each day and made nearly $1,000 on their first day.

“We went until like 11 o’clock last night delivering and people were answering doors in their PJs and I handed them beer and toilet paper,” Thunderbird Lounge co-owner Brett Boyles told Fox News. "It’s kind of just door-to-door bartending, really."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/arizona-bar-finds-creative-way-to-keep-business-going-amid-coronavirus-closures/ar-BB11ExuJ?li=BBnb4R7

That is so cool!  I love this type of story.  Makes me want to move south.

On the downside:  I read on the People mag website about some dirtbag that was caught stealing over 600 rolls of TP from a hotel.  The good, the bad, and the ugly are happening all over.

5 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

That is so cool!  I love this type of story.  Makes me want to move south.

On the downside:  I read on the People mag website about some dirtbag that was caught stealing over 600 rolls of TP from a hotel.  The good, the bad, and the ugly are happening all over.

And the A$$ who said he had the virus and was licking stuff in the grocery store.  I think he is going to prison.   Oh - and I heard he did NOT have the virus.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Useful 1

For those who may be becoming concerned that household TP supply is running low, consider checking your buffet or sideboard for supplies of paper napkins.  Cocktail size is just about right for single use and dinner size could be cut in half and they would be more flushable and softer than paper towels.

Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day would all lend a festive note. 🚽🧻😀

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

For those who may be becoming concerned that household TP supply is running low, consider checking your buffet or sideboard for supplies of paper napkins.  Cocktail size is just about right for single use and dinner size could be cut in half and they would be more flushable and softer than paper towels.

Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day would all lend a festive note. 🚽🧻😀

Related:   Many people in town are putting Christmas lights back up to cheer everyone up.   My daughter said that most of the houses in her town are decorated!  Also - in Boulder, (Colorado) they are going to light up the Christmas star!  I love this!

https://bouldercolorado.gov/newsroom/boulder-chamber-and-city-to-relight-boulder-star-as-a-symbol-of-caring-and-unity

• Love 7

Now the president wants the churches to be filled on Easter Sunday.  Does he not realize he is putting his own voters in jeopardy?  Jerry Falwell, a Trump supporter, is calling the students back to Liberty University.  I wonder what the Lynchburg hospitals think about that?

• Love 1

My Costco had a veritable mountain of Kirkland brand toilet paper this afternoon, but no other brands.  They also had a large supply of large eggs, which my grocery store was out of, and a decent supply of bread.  No disinfecting wipes.  

The store was laid out differently today. (I don’t know when it happened.) The carts were all outside and an employee was passing out wipes as you got a cart.  There was only one way to the checkouts and an employee working as traffic cop telling you which lane to go to.  I was there at about 2:30 p.m. and it was actually emptier than I have ever seen it.  (Michigan is in a lockdown.) 

I didn’t see anyone with more than one package of tp in their cart and, on the whole, people actually had less stuff in their cart than I usually see.  

Both Costco and my local grocery store chain had “sneeze guards” directly in front of the cashiers and I had to tear off my own receipts.  Costco’s cashier scanned my membership card while I held it and they looked at my receipt while I held it, as well.

Nobody had skim milk today, just 2% and whole, which surprised me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Went out Monday mainly because I had to pick up my diabetes test strips from my PO box. I went out early and went to the grocery store to pick up a few more things as I don't plan on going out again for a couple of weeks. Last week dairy section, and chicken section were totally empty, of course no TP then or Monday. This trip dairy was well stocked and there was chicken, but no bread of any kind and of course no paper products. Lots of different cheeses so I stocked up a bit (WI born...now in MT). Apparently Tuesday is when this store gets TP shipments...they call it TP Tuesday! I'm widowed and live alone and always have bought ahead so am not in any danger of running out soon, but next time I go out will be a Tuesday. 😊

With all the TP shortages people are using baby wipes and other wipes instead. A town South of me has reported sewer problems with clogging due to the wipes...don't flush them even if they say "flushable".  And especially if you have a septic tank, never flush them they will wreak havoc with the system! Having a septic system, I would never flush napkins or anything else besides TP in limited amounts. I barely use my garbage disposal just for small amounts of food, the rest of it goes in the garbage not down the drain. This whole TP hoarding is just mind boggling to me in the first place.

I belong to a neighborhood app Nextdoor and it is really helpful for finding things and people to help in a pinch. It is also kind of a neighborhood watch kind of thing. I think it is a nation wide app.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I belong to a neighborhood app Nextdoor and it is really helpful for finding things and people to help in a pinch. It is also kind of a neighborhood watch kind of thing. I think it is a nation wide app.

Nextdoor has been helpful.  I went to Home Depot one night and saw lots of paper towels and disinfectant wipes, which a lot of people had been looking for.  So I passed it on and I'm sure they were cleaned out the next morning.

• Love 7

I actually heard some Walmarts are giving free TP and wipes to the Seniors 

We have been on Shelter in Place since Friday evening.  The stores were crowded all weekend, but on Monday things seemed to settle down. The Kroger owned store we go to, closed down the bar, ice cream counter, candy counter. food bar and salad bar. They are boxing up all bakery items that used to be self serve.  The bakery was stocked.   The parking lot had about one third of the usual cars. Most things were in stock except for TP, paper items, flour and  the pasta/soup/rice/frozen pizzas were low.  They were limiting cleaning products and bread 

The only real differences I noticed was a red line in front of the checkouts where you had to wait until the person ahead of you was finished checking out. They were also only using the smaller carts. Not sure why. They were sanitizing the carts at the entrance. 

• Love 4

I do home health, so I’m out and about. I’m glad to have just one person at this time. I’m there 6 days a week. I start at home, go to my person, run out for prescriptions, make grocery runs, to keep her home. Under normal circumstances, I’d be accompanying her on these runs, and to her college classes, which she’s now doing online. She’s set to graduate, with no idea if there will be a ceremony. 

My son-in-law has been laid off, due to the virus. Except for myself, my children, and grandchildren, my family is mostly in New York.

My daughter has rescheduled her wedding from April 4th, to May 30th, and who knows if that date will end up happening.

I’m surprised at gas prices going down. I filled my tank yesterday for $1.10 a gallon. Thank goodness for small favors.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 7