Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Color me disappointed, though, that you all didn't strike up a nice down-dog in the lobby of the restaurant while waiting to be seated.  Next time!

This is brilliant! Boy, we really dropped the ball.

@Galloway Cave I'm just blowing through town for work, but am loving this weather so hopefully I'll be back someday. I definitely recommend meeting @AZChristian if you if you can, she is a hoot!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

I'm a hermit just north of Phx but I definitely need to meet up with ya'll. @AZChristian and I have talked about doing a road trip to Prairie Dog Flats sometime.

Wear protective gear while visiting Prairie Dog Flats.  This could be the right occasion to deck yourself out in a LLR onesie and a pair of Meri's scuffed suede boots.

• LOL 14
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm always here.  Let me know if you get down near Mesa. Would love to meet you,  too. 

If only I had known!  My mother spent several years of her childhood in Miami, AZ, just about one hour east of Mesa.  I have visited there 3 times, it's a town that has almost stood still for the past 100 years.  Many of the old buildings remain and it was fascinating to me to absorb the atmosphere and stroll the streets she would have as a child.  The 3 room schoolhouse she attended is now privately owned and the present owner was kind enough to invite my brother and me in for a tour.  He is using the schoolhouse as a workshop but has retained the old chalkboards and most of the old woodwork.  It filled my heart with joy to run my hands over these pieces of her past.

When inquiring about where the schoolhouse would have been located on my first visit there, I visited the present day school and they miraculously produced her report cards from 1916-19 and kindly photo-copied them for me.  These are among my most treasured momentos of her life at that time.

Sentimental journeys for me with the kind and gracious people of Arizona, unfortunately for me, a road trip of over 3000 miles is probably out of the question at my age.  If you do get together, I will be with you in spirit.

• Love 16
On 11/11/2019 at 12:34 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Be sure to skip the gladiator sandals.  The camo onesie should work.  

Now I wish I lived closer to AZ.  A road trip to PDF would be so fun!  

If given a little notice I can be there, or anywhere that we COLs care to meet.  We're truckers and we'll just roll it on in. 

Moreover, we have plenty of room in the trailer for those tacky Lulanoes, cheap fashion joolry, woke foodstuffs, fake Emotional Support Dog Certificates, and eyebrow pencils!!!  Afterwards we'll be happy to roll it ALL over to the nearest landfill! Or build a bonfire, whichever is more fun.  😁 🙃 😛 😎

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

Serious question . . . are any of you really interested/able for such a meet-up?  Among other places, there's a nice hotel in Flagstaff ("Little America").  Those interested could share rooms, others (like me) would likely bring their husband along, etc.

It gets cold and snowy in Flag, so doing it in warmer weather would probably be better.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Serious question . . . are any of you really interested/able for such a meet-up?  Among other places, there's a nice hotel in Flagstaff ("Little America").  Those interested could share rooms, others (like me) would likely bring their husband along, etc.

It gets cold and snowy in Flag, so doing it in warmer weather would probably be better.

I am seriously toying with the idea of renewing my passport and flying in, then renting a car to get around. 

Robyn has lots of room, maybe she could put us up for a few days.🤣.  I'm pretty sure that Christine would be game to have us over for an afternoon session of line-dancing and she could deck us out in LLRags for the event.  Janelle may be induced to invite us for lunch or a least an afternoon tea, she still has those bags of peppermint tea she needs to use up.  For those of us that need it, Meri may be willing to meet with us for makeup and hair grooming tips while sneering and insulting us one and all.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I would totally love to do a meet-up.  I've been to Flagstaff once before, but didn't spend a lot of time there.

I'm in Michigan, but have bus fare, will travel.  😀  So count me in!!

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 5

Bravo has announced a new show starting in 2020.  The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City, I don't know what we can expect of this or if they will incorporate some polygamous families but we can probably be assured there will be no drunken brawls on the agenda. SLC is just a half hour up the road from Lehi, I wonder if #WorldTraveler Meri Brown auditioned.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I’ve only been to Flagstaff once and it was freezing cold.  I have been to SLC many times and stayed at the Little America there and loved it.  Used to do it on the company dime, because it was a bit pricey.  Great rooms and food though!  We could do a caravan of RVs with bunks and park along the road in front of Prairie Dog Plague Flatts too.  That might be fun.  I know we joke around a lot about forum trips and get together, but we really probably could do this in a safe and inexpensive setting if we put our minds to it!

Hey, how far away from Flagstaff is Williams?  That’s where the Grand Canyon Railroad is and they have nice package deals there sometimes where you stay, eat in the communal dining area and can do day trips into the canyon on the train or over nights.  If Flagstaff could also be done as a day trip, that might make a nice long weekend!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Bravo has announced a new show starting in 2020.  The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City, I don't know what we can expect of this or if they will incorporate some polygamous families but we can probably be assured there will be no drunken brawls on the agenda. SLC is just a half hour up the road from Lehi, I wonder if #WorldTraveler Meri Brown auditioned.

I thought you were kidding, I was sure you were kidding!

Given the expected age of the HWs, polygamy would pertain only to great-grandparents. I cannot see it coming up because it's rarely acknowledged and never discussed. It's the third rail in Utah and you make enemies for life if you mention it. 

I predict that this franchise will eventually be known as The Real Housewives of Stepford. 

I. Can. Hardly. Wait. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

I’ve only been to Flagstaff once and it was freezing cold.  I have been to SLC many times and stayed at the Little America there and loved it.  Used to do it on the company dime, because it was a bit pricey.  Great rooms and food though!  We could do a caravan of RVs with bunks and park along the road in front of Prairie Dog Plague Flatts too.  That might be fun.  I know we joke around a lot about forum trips and get together, but we really probably could do this in a safe and inexpensive setting if we put our minds to it!

Hey, how far away from Flagstaff is Williams?  That’s where the Grand Canyon Railroad is and they have nice package deals there sometimes where you stay, eat in the communal dining area and can do day trips into the canyon on the train or over nights.  If Flagstaff could also be done as a day trip, that might make a nice long weekend!

It's only a out 35 miles from Flagstaff to Williams. The train to the canyon is awesome. 

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Galloway Cave said:

I'm in for a meet-up! I need to lug my doggo with me, so I will bring my little vintage canned ham trailer.

Too bad Lizzie's doesn't have enough rooms for a meet up! What a hoot to maybe meet Meri! Though in Flag, we could possibly see several of them. It needs to be late Spring, Summer or Fall though because the driving over passes in the Winter can be treacherous. I'm kind of getting excited...

• Love 7

Hey, here's one for our COLs - have you been seeing the Applebee's Sizzle commercial backed with Peggy Lee's Fever? It charted in 1958 and it rocked my world. Finger snaps! Like the beatniks!

I was 8 years old and, along with my girl posse, we lived on our roller skates from morning 'til night, with our skate keys on a string around our necks. I was lucky because popular music was big in our house and my parents always had the radio or the hi-fi on.  

Lip syncing never occurred to my posse, nuh uh, we belted that baby and we sizzled. I don't know why such a sultry song spoke so strongly to us but it did. The Pocahontas verse was our favorite part and my bff who went to Catholic school not only snapped but did something with her hips!

Most of us moved away within a few years and in the late '60s we realized that some of us were cruising Whittier Blvd so we met up at Bob's Big Boy. Someone started humming Fever and man, that was all it took! We treated everyone there to Some. Sizzle.

That night (and many others) was straight outta American Graffiti. We also cruised Harbor Blvd in Anaheim, Firestone Blvd in Downey (Harvey's Broiler), and Beach Blvd in Buena Park. In fact, we are the reason Knott's Berry Farm built a fence around their property. You're welcome!  

Captain Smith and Pocahontas
Had a very mad affair
When her daddy tried to kill him
She said Daddy ooh don't you dare
He gives me fever (with his kisses}
Fever when he holds me tight
Fever (I'm his missus)
Daddy won't you treat him right?

Here's a version she did about 10 years later which is visually worth it purely because of the drummer. He was one cool cat!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, suomi said:

He was one cool cat!

Cool cat indeed!

Is it a COL attribute to love the old music that you could sing along to?  Does anybody snap their fingers anymore?  I love the music from WWII with great lyrics that you can slow dance to as well.  Hard to do with rap.

Damn, I feel ancient.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

suomi, thanks for that verse of Fever. I was 4 in 1958 and remember dancing, snapping & singing it around the living room while it was playing then and later.  Curiously, I remember every verse but the Pocahontas & Captain Smith one you posted - I wonder if that was left out of some recordings for PC reasons or if the whole song was too long for radio.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3
On 11/16/2019 at 11:29 PM, Gramto6 said:

Too bad Lizzie's doesn't have enough rooms for a meet up! What a hoot to maybe meet Meri! Though in Flag, we could possibly see several of them. It needs to be late Spring, Summer or Fall though because the driving over passes in the Winter can be treacherous. I'm kind of getting excited...

I would love to do a meetup as well, any of these places sounds good! If in Flagstaff, maybe we can stay at the place Meri and Kody stayed when they first went to look at properties. 

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure it was on this thread where one or more of you mentioned that you used Mederma AG as a moisturizing face cream.  I've been using it myself for a couple of months and I kind of can't believe how it smoothed out my skin - so finally, in my early 50's, I have a skin care regimen, LOL!  So now, I ask you lovely COL's of all ages - whatcha got for tightening the skin on your neck?  Discuss! 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I'm pretty sure it was on this thread where one or more of you mentioned that you used Mederma AG as a moisturizing face cream.  I've been using it myself for a couple of months and I kind of can't believe how it smoothed out my skin - so finally, in my early 50's, I have a skin care regimen, LOL!  So now, I ask you lovely COL's of all ages - whatcha got for tightening the skin on your neck?  Discuss! 🙂

THIS!  

My skin used to be so nice but the last few years the skincare I always used just isn't cutting it.

I need help!  my pores were always great very small almost invisible but now around my nose, forehead etc they are enlarged and I have dry patches as well so it's dry and oily.... And it's dull no glow.

I always used Philosophy but I think I  need something new because it's not doing the job anymore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/25/2019 at 10:23 AM, laurakaye said:

Well, I looked on amazon and apparently the reviewers are not happy with the reformulated version after it was  bought out. Are you doing okay with the new formulation?  I splurged on a jar of the new Clinique two in one because there were free with purchase gifts I wanted.  I've been using it over a month and notice no difference.  The dermatologist would sell me something she guaranteed would improve my almost 76 year old face, but it was over $500 every 3 months.  And if I stop using it, will revert back.

• Love 1

I really am seeing a difference with the Mederma AG.  I also noticed those reviews but thought I'd give it a try anyway.  It makes my skin much smoother and the imperfections are not as noticable, for sure.  I also splurged on some IT CC cream (I loathe foundation of any kind) and I actually really like it.  I feel like such a grown-up now. 🙂

• Love 2
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I really am seeing a difference with the Mederma AG.  I also noticed those reviews but thought I'd give it a try anyway.  It makes my skin much smoother and the imperfections are not as noticable, for sure.  I also splurged on some IT CC cream (I loathe foundation of any kind) and I actually really like it.  I feel like such a grown-up now. 🙂

I also bought the IT CC cream and I like it but I'm hoping to find something with a little more glow.

I just bought "M. Asam Magic Finish" because I've heard good things... Haven't tried it yet but I'll post again when I have.... It only comes in one shade but apparently works for almost everyone, you can layer it to get the coverage you want and it's a wonderful whipped mousse consistency that feels delicious.

masam.jpg

Edited by Joan of Argh
pic
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I use tretinoin on my face.  It’s totally renewed my skin!  It’s an RX.  I really like It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream moisturizer. 
my neck though....ugh. I am almost 49 and my neck has necklace lines and a waddle.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I swear by Rodan and Fields. They have different regimens for different skin concerns. It's expensive, but worth it. It's the only non-prescription product line I've seen actual results with--the only catch is that it takes time and you need to be consistent with use. The reverse regimen seriously reduced my dark spots from sun damage, but it took about 4 months to really notice. I also like the redefine regimen, the micro needling roller, eye cream (aka eye crack), serums and enhancements products. 

I'm totally digging the micro-needling and have been doing it for a couple months now. It's nice to be able to do that at home and not at a spa (and no spa costs). 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

(Googles microneedling)...........

Um, this looks a bit scary!  Do you do it at home?  Does it work?  What does it do for your skin?

It's not scary and it does work. It just takes time and needs to be done safely (clean roller, use proper serums). By causing tiny "injuries" to the skin, it causes an increase in collagen production which can reduce the appearance of fine lines and improve skin tone. It took a while to see a difference, but it does work. 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

(Googles microneedling)...........

Um, this looks a bit scary!  Do you do it at home?  Does it work?  What does it do for your skin?

I just googled it, too, and read a mag article written by a woman who did it at home; she seemed to get results rather quickly, but it didn't have before/after pix (that I noticed) and I am not sure how young she was.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:23 AM, laurakaye said:

I use the Pear &Pink Magnolia Body Souffle by Crabtree and Evelyn on my face and  Shea Body Butter with Dead Sea salt by Vivo Per Lei on the rest of me.  And sometimes just coconut oil.   I lucked out with good genes as far as facial lines are concerned;  my mother had only marionette lines when she died at 91.  I have escaped the necklace lines on my neck so far  because I have always had a fatty neck which will eventually become a waddle.  I do neck stretches in hopes that it will delay the waddle.  (I am 66)

My concerns other than my neck are the marionette lines which I hate and the circs under my eyes, although they are not dark and the one under my right eye is much less noticeable.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

It's not scary and it does work. It just takes time and needs to be done safely (clean roller, use proper serums). By causing tiny "injuries" to the skin, it causes an increase in collagen production which can reduce the appearance of fine lines and improve skin tone. It took a while to see a difference, but it does work. 

What type of microneedle device do you use, and what kind of serum?  I'm starting to look online and of course, there's an overwhelming number of options.  

This is why it takes me so long to decide on what to use...how on earth does anyone know which product to try?  I mean, I'm still using Great Lash mascara which I'm pretty sure was invented in like 1960, so........😎

P.S. If Maybelline still sold that eyeshadow duo of pink and light blue, I'd totally use it.  That, plus blue mascara, was everyone's go-to in the '80's to make blue eyes look bluer!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

What type of microneedle device do you use, and what kind of serum?  I'm starting to look online and of course, there's an overwhelming number of options.  

This is why it takes me so long to decide on what to use...how on earth does anyone know which product to try?  I mean, I'm still using Great Lash mascara which I'm pretty sure was invented in like 1960, so........😎

P.S. If Maybelline still sold that eyeshadow duo of pink and light blue, I'd totally use it.  That, plus blue mascara, was everyone's go-to in the '80's to make blue eyes look bluer!

Most of my products are from Rodan and Fields, including the microneedling roller. It’s just easier and they’ve been formulated to work in specific regimens/sequences. 

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

All the products I like get discontinued or hard to find.  I have yet to find a cream blush that I really like anymore.  That is true for scents as well.   The universe hates me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

A lot of the scents I've liked have been discontinued, as well.  I tend to be choosy and wear just a bit.  Nothing starts a migraine for me like overpowering perfume.  The detergent aisle at the grocery store can do the same thing.

I rilly should get Botox or something on my RBF frown lines, inherited from my mom.  I'm a bit scared of needles.  

• Love 4

Ooh, now perfume....that's my jam.  I fell down a rabbit hole of perfume collecting about 10 years ago and at this point I own more bottles than I will ever use...something like 120 or so, including minis and testers.  I know I need to stop.  And I will.  Someday!

As for Botox, I would love to try it, but as @xwordfanatik said....needles. ☹️ Still might give that microneedling thing a try, though.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

A lot of the scents I've liked have been discontinued, as well.  I tend to be choosy and wear just a bit.  Nothing starts a migraine for me like overpowering perfume.  The detergent aisle at the grocery store can do the same thing.

I rilly should get Botox or something on my RBF frown lines, inherited from my mom.  I'm a bit scared of needles.  

Botox (for some reason now it’s usually called Dysport, I guess that’s the major brand) doesn’t hurt at all. The needle is so fine, you barely feel it. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Cherry Cola said:

I am a fellow tin hatter. No shame in questioning what we are fed. Anyhow, I think that is exactly what the challenge is for.

On to Mariah's pic, she was adorable with blonde hair! She should definitely try that again. 

COL/tin hatter here too. I will never have an Alexa, or the other company's similar devices in my home as I just can't believe they don't have some way to tap into the device and listen/record things that are going on in the home. /removes tin hat and goes back to the porch to retrieve her hose...  😊

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
46 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

COL/tin hatter here too. I will never have an Alexa, or the other company's similar devices in my home as I just can't believe they don't have some way to tap into the device and listen/record things that are going on in the home. /removes tin hat and goes back to the porch to retrieve her hose...  😊

I won’t do those ancestry tests because I I don’t trust them having everyone’s DNA.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I won’t do those ancestry tests because I I don’t trust them having everyone’s DNA.

My mother was adopted and I know nothing of my heritage on that side of the family.  I did order an Ancestry test a year ago, but it still sits on my desk for just that reason. TPTB are just gathering too much private inforrmation and that knowledge can go into the wrong hands so easily.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

There have been reports of things like - you  could be talking about your friend Jane.  Alexa calls her and she now hears your conversation.

Other tin-hatters have said that if you want to know if Alexa is listening to you, you should have a discussion about buying something you have no intention of buying (like dog food if you don't own a dog.)  Then see if you start getting targeted ads for dog food.  

But yeah, I won't even use the voice feature on my computer or my TV because I KNOW they're listening 🙂  (By the way, my tin hat is quite stylish but I'm REALLY waiting for Lulano to come out with their line of tin hats.)

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Try being Canadian or British and spelling colour, neighbour, jewellery or a myriad of other spellings we use. 🤣

Oh MAN! I’m with you Sandy 😂 I always worry my American COL’s must think I’m terrible at spelling and or am making typos, as being Australian we use British English and there’s many differences! I do try to use American English with words like Mom (instead of mum like I’d normally write), if I remember when posting here, but mostly I just forget as it’s so ingrained! Forgive me American COLs, I’m not spelling like Mykelti, I promise. 

There’s the -or/-our differences such as British spelling of colour, humour, labour, neighbour, flavour.

British English doubling is used for all inflections (cancelled, counsellor, cruellest, labelled, modelling, quarrelled, signalling, traveller, and travelling) Conversely, there are words where British  prefer a single l and Americans a double  appal(l), fulfil(l), fulfil(l)ment, enrol(l)ment, instal(l)ment. 

American English uses the –ize spelling at the end of words, British  –ise ending instead such as apologise, organise, recognise.

While the Americans generally prefer –nse, British uses -nce, such as licence, offence, pretence.

Words that end in –er in American have those two letters reversed when spelled in British, such as centre, fibre, litre, theatre.

British English sometimes keeps a silent "e" when adding suffixes where American English does not eg. ageing, ageism. 

Before -able, British English prefers likeable, liveable, rateable, saleable, sizeable, unshakeable where American practice prefers to drop the ‘-e’

Then, there’s just the random differences in words used like - 

mom/mum

trash/rubbish

sidewalk/footpath

soccer/football

And then there’s the British metric system vs American imperial... the list goes on... 😂 

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

My mother was adopted and I know nothing of my heritage on that side of the family.  I did order an Ancestry test a year ago, but it still sits on my desk for just that reason. TPTB are just gathering too much private inforrmation and that knowledge can go into the wrong hands so easily.

it is frightening what TPTB already have on us.  Just being connected to the inter webs does that.  And I'm convinced smart phones listen.  We don't have an Alexa or google whatever but sometimes when I am talking to Mr. lookeyloo about something, up pops an ad for it on Facebook.  Or I get an email about it, unsolicited.  Of course I could go without it all, but, I don't want to and figure the damage is already done!  I am not about to live off the grid.

• Love 8