Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

Dan, oh Dan!  Why?  Why didn't you know about the Golden Guernsey breed of dairy cattle?  Why?  (My uncle worked at a dairy farm famous for its Golden Guernseys - the local elementary school used to take us on field trips there.)

Not that I mind Kerry, but Dan was attractive and I am shallow.

I got Hamburg, mainly because what little I know about the Hanseatic League, beyond the name, made me think it included the eastern part of Germany, and Hamburg was the only German port city I could come up with.  So sort of a lucky guess.

Not a great game, overall, judging by the scores at the end of Double Jeopardy.

• Love 1

I ran the hell out of that Met category.  But I pronounce the 't' at the end of Turandot because every classical station I've ever listened to does, and apparently there is debate within the opera community regarding the pronunciation.  I'd have fought for that answer.

• Love 5

Given the histrionics of some of the other players this year -- drah! ma! -- give me Kerry every time. I also liked Julia Collins and Larissa Kelly for the same reasons.

I have no problem with Kerry but I am in a significant minority in that I was not a Julia or [soft voice] Larissa [/soft voice] fan. I will never ever be able to prove this but I found the questions asked during Julia's run very easy and when she got her ass handed to her in the first round at one of the tournaments by the college tournament winner, it just reinforced my (completely unverifiable) suspicion. Plus she had some serious vocal fry. As for Larissa, I found her very affected. I did admire her gutsy DD bets though.

(Ducking from the thrown debris of the Julia and Larissa fan clubs.)

That said, if I had to choose between these two and some special snowflake who dances to the theme music during the introductions - not even close.

• Love 1

I have no problem with Kerry but I am in a significant minority in that I was not a Julia or [soft voice] Larissa [/soft voice] fan. I will never ever be able to prove this but I found the questions asked during Julia's run very easy and when she got her ass handed to her in the first round at one of the tournaments by the college tournament winner, it just reinforced my (completely unverifiable) suspicion. Plus she had some serious vocal fry. As for Larissa, I found her very affected. I did admire her gutsy DD bets though.

(Ducking from the thrown debris of the Julia and Larissa fan clubs.)

That said, if I had to choose between these two and some special snowflake who dances to the theme music during the introductions - not even close.

There's no need to apologize for liking or disliking contestants. I only take issue with people who post things like, "I can't believe people feel this way," which I don't see on this board. It's one of the reasons this board is one of my favorites. We all can agree to disagree. I don't feel pressured to stop liking what other people dislike, or vice versa.

That being said, you are incredibly wrong about Larissa and Julia. (I kid, I kid. If you'd brought up a dislike for Stefan, we would have a problem!)

• Love 3

I think the problem with "boot cut" was that they didn't identify the proper name in the clue (which I can't remember now)  as a brand of boots.

I could be wrong or I may be reading your post wrong, but I thought the clue did include Tony Lama, which is a brand of boots.

• Love 3

If a word is in the answer, it's usually not stated in the clue, or there's another term for it used instead. Example: if the answer is "serial killer," they might use the phrase "multiple murderer" in the clue. So maybe they were trying to do that with the "bootcut" answer. Those clever Jeopardy bastards! ;)

I think the problem with "boot cut" was that they didn't identify the proper name in the clue (which I can't remember now)  as a brand of boots.

I could be wrong or I may be reading your post wrong, but I thought the clue did include Tony Lama, which is a brand of boots.

Jesse said the clue didn't identify Tony Lama as a brand of boots, so the Tony Lama part of the clue didn't help.  (It didn't help me, either, as I said, because I've never heard of it, but the category and the rest of the clue got me there.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I was thrilled, THRILLED, that I got a TS: australopithecus! That until-now useless anthropology degree finally pays dividends! :-P

Awww does that mean my soon-to-be third degree in anthropology will be useless? :)

I was saddened none of them got it!  And I've never heard anybody pronounce it the way Alex pronounced it.  I choose to believe that means he's wrong and I can be spiteful in reaction to all of his over-pronounciations.

• Love 3

Awww does that mean my soon-to-be third degree in anthropology will be useless? :)

I was saddened none of them got it!  And I've never heard anybody pronounce it the way Alex pronounced it.  I choose to believe that means he's wrong and I can be spiteful in reaction to all of his over-pronounciations.

I hope you use your degree more than I used mine! Of course, my subfield was linguistic anthro, specializing in theory and relativism, so it was a perfect storm of uselessness. 

• Love 1

Well, university isn't a trade school. A liberal arts education should equip you with skills you can apply anywhere: critical thinking, written communication, ability to synthesize ideas, familiarity with other cultures.

Falling off my soap box now. I've heard too many insults to higher education in the last few months and it's made me stabby.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 8

Okay. Sorry you feel "stabby" toward my mild self-deprecation. I am done doing it now.

Cannot wait for today's episode!

Don't beat yourself up. Lots of us are told our degrees are useless. People pick on me for having majored in English. Then they see my house and my cars and shut the hell up.
  • Love 5

Don't beat yourself up. Lots of us are told our degrees are useless. People pick on me for having majored in English. Then they see my house and my cars and shut the hell up.

Living well is the best revenge ;) Don't worry, I am actually proud of my education, and I majored in something I truly enjoyed. I just poke fun at myself because I now work part-time as a personal trainer, which makes my degree less useful *to me specifically*. It is a very pretty diploma though, and I know more about the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis than any other personal trainer in the country, I bet.

• Love 2

Holy cow, Alex Jacob!  That was one impressive game.

I even chuckled at his Final Jeopardy response.

Were I betting, I would put my money on Alex to win it all at this point.  But anything can happen in a short tournament...

• Love 6

Man, I really hope Alex and Matt face off. They have similar styles of play, with the board-hopping and the stalling/speediness. I am so sad that I didn't get the FJ, I knew one of the countries was Gambia but I could NOT pull up Zambia for some reason. *face palm*

• Love 2
I think the problem with "boot cut" was that they didn't identify the proper name in the clue (which I can't remember now)  as a brand of boots.

The category was Words Containing CU, and the clue had to do with "this style of jeans are made to fit over Tony Lamas" or something close to that. Of course, one had to know jeans styles (peg leg, skinny, full cut, stretch and so forth) and that Tony Lamas are (perhaps the most famous) brand of cowboy boots. So, "boot cut" jeans was the easy peasy answer for me, who owns a bunch of those jeans, one pair of Tony Lamas, and the horses that go with them.

Opera category ... a complete and total bust for me. I would have stood there like a drooling moron while you guys ran that category.

No way are any degrees useless. Maybe they do not apply to what career paths we take or end up on, but no learning is bad or useless learning. I try to learn something every day. Point in fact: I knew Lucy was a skeleton fossil but no way in heck would I ever have come up with its official name. So, good on you guys.

Lots of good stuff in today's game. Will be back tomorrow to post about that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

"What is Aleve" Bwhahahaha! 

Thank you, Otto Titsling.
Oooh! Oooh! I always knew that was a fake answer in Trivial Pursuit but until last week's Drunk History, I had no idea the person who invented the bra was Mary Phelps Jacob, and that was one of the least interesting things about her. Love that show.

For some reason, my DVR went on strike this afternoon, so no Jeopardy for me.

And Alex Jacob being from Chicago -- I hope not a lot of people had the same problem I did.

Good to hear he won, and I'm cranky that I won't get to see it.

• Love 1

I was thrown by the '6 letter' part of FJ. Isn't it The Gambia? So I figured they were playing loose with rhyming Rwanda and Uganda, and that there were rivers I wasn't familiar with.

Do you use a darning needle when you knit? I don't. Did I misunderstand the dragonfly question?

I do, to weave in the ends.

• Love 3

Scooch over and make room at the kids' table, mojoween.  "CU next Tuesday" was my first thought, too.  But then it occurred to me that this was Jeopardy! so . . . no.

Off to sit in the corner for both of you! My juvenile mind and I will be joining you.

Edited by Seestra1
  • Love 1

I'm a knitter who didn't get darning needle, though I had missed the categories due to dinner. But I only use a darning needle when I'm done knitting!

As for The Gambia, Jeopardy doesn't care about initial articles--except in "Los Angeles." Tonight we had A Midsummer Night's Dream. I would kind of love for someone to test them on their rules by saying "What is the Midsummer...?"

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

Alex (Trebeck), it's the books of Judges and Kings, not Judge and King. Did Vaughn not understand that DD clue?

I wonder why Itchy Alex started acting stressed in the middle of DJ. He started scratching himself. I can't believe he didn't know FJ. And I hope he mops the floor with Matt, the Serial Killer.

• Love 5

I really love Alex Jacob. That "What is Aleve" made me laugh and laugh!

Yeah, I just meant that the contestants didn't know that! Sometimes too much information in the clue makes it harder to guess, because I get distracted. I assume that's true of other people, too.

I was thrown by the '6 letter' part of FJ. Isn't it The Gambia? So I figured they were playing loose with rhyming Rwanda and Uganda, and that there were rivers I wasn't familiar with.

I know Ukraine doesn't want to be called The Ukraine anymore for some specific reason, but forget why -- I bet Gambia has a similar stance?

• Love 3

The football category was awesome and I ran it. Ballet made me feel like a troglodyte.

I love how animated Alex J. is in the interviews and then is all business as soon as they go back to the game. I was also highly amused that at the interview portion Brennan had not rang in once, Vaughn was in the negative and Alex had eight grand.

I was not a Brennan fan, but I give him credit for getting eleven thousand in DJ alone.

• Love 5

Boy, Alex was fast on the buzzer.  I guess practicing with the toilet paper holder really does help.  I could see Brennan trying to ring in many times and just not being fast enough.  I think Alex will be faster on the buzzer than Matt, but I'd rather see Matt win.  I'd really like to see Kerry win, but that's probably not going to happen.

• Love 1

Alex is a beast. What a great performance for him. I hope Matt holds up and they meet in the finals. Kerry is strong too, but I don't think she'll be as fast on the buzzer.

The last couple of TOCs haven't been enjoyable for me because of my dislike of certain contestants. I will genuinely be okay with any of these contestants winning this year. It certainty will be well-earned.

• Love 3

As for The Gambia, Jeopardy doesn't care about initial articles--except in "Los Angeles." Tonight we had A Midsummer Night's Dream. I would kind of love for someone to test them on their rules by saying "What is the Midsummer...?"

Ha! Yes, me too!

I understand not requiring the initial article to count as a right answer, but if they're going to say the number of letters that's a whole different thing (to me)

• Love 4

I love Alex Jacob's dry humor.  

I'm a not-very-good crocheter, but I've only heard of those needles being called "yarn needles."  I have no idea if there is a difference between darning needles and yarn needles though - other than not calling a dragonfly a yarn needle.  Maybe I should be getting a BFA in textiles so I could answer that question!  (I know, I know, I'm being silly.  I completely agree with saber5055 that there is no such thing as useless learning.  I took a basketweaving class with a Mayan weaver - suck it people who joke about underwater basketweaving.)

I enjoyed the ballet video clues.  The videos actually showed something supplemental to the voiceover, and by mostly being in conjunction with the voiceover rather than after, they didn't take up a bunch of time.

• Love 5

I didn't like that phrasing, "lofty positions." My mind was in the clouds, kind of literally. I think Vaughn was lost the way that I was. I wish the clue could have referenced "occupations" instead.

I think there was just one TS, and I got it. Vile vial.

• Love 2

I didn't like that phrasing, "lofty positions." My mind was in the clouds, kind of literally. I think Vaughn was lost the way that I was. I wish the clue could have referenced "occupations" instead.

I think there was just one TS, and I got it. Vile vital.

Thank you! I knew there was a TS I got but couldn't remember. Old brain. [sigh]

Alex bugs me the way Matt does many others. I DO think they would make an awesome match up! I answered "Judges" and "Kings", but when the correct version was singular I realized that I'd named the books and not the occupations. I got the women's books wrong by answering "Ruth" and "Judith", because Judith is a better story, and I keep forgetting it's apocryphal! I may have misheard, but when "Revelation" was correctly given as an answer, did Alex (Trebek) add an "s"?

• Love 1

I'm a knitter & I call them tapestry needles. That term doesn't make sense either, tho. I can't figure what the dragonfly had to do with the question.

Apparently, dragonflies are colloquially known as devil's darning needles, because of their long thin bodies. I have heard that, although I would also have missed the question.

• Love 3

Maybe I should drink this particular wine more often, because I was on fire tonight.  Stuff was coming out of my mouth that I didn't realize I knew (e.g. ballet).  I even got most of the Bible books clues, and that certainly never happens.

Loved the football plays category.

FJ was an instaget for me.  I had no idea Gambia was The Gambia, even though geography is a strong subject for me, so that didn't trip me up; when thinking of rhyming African countries with short names that coincide with rivers, the two sprang immediately to mind.

Alex is a bit weird at times, as the other Alex said, but he's a great player I have always enjoyed. 

• Love 2

I guess board hopping is the new normal.

sigh.

Board hopping has a long and honored tradition on Jeopardy since Chuck Forrest first did it on a regular basis in the 80s; hence it being referred to as the "Forrest Bounce" back in the day.  But it does seem like a lot more contestants do it now.  Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.  I'm not keen on it but it's obviously not going to go away.

Board hopping has a long and honored tradition on Jeopardy since Chuck Forrest first did it on a regular basis in the 80s; hence it being referred to as the "Forrest Bounce" back in the day.  But it does seem like a lot more contestants do it now.  Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.  I'm not keen on it but it's obviously not going to go away.

It seems to be much more prevalent than it used to be.

Not a fan :/ but what are you gonna do?

• Love 3

I just had a conversation with someone with whom I occasionally work, whose family is acquainted with Matt's family, and apparently both he and his brother have Asperger's.  Which, if true, probably explains some of his quirks.  Won't make me enjoy watching him any more than I did before (that is to say, not at all) but at least it's not all something he's doing on purpose.  Unlike Turd Ferguson and Dancing Jennifer and probably JOSH!!!!!!! as well, all of whom seemed quirky (and loud) for quirkiness' sake.

Loved Alex's FJ answer - something I wouldn't have thought possible during his regular Jeopardy run.  See, TF, THAT'S how you do an amusing FJ answer.

{edited to make it less specific}

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4