Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerry in the finals.  Andrew also played well.

So far, going to the semis we have

Winners
Catherine
Brennan
Matt
Kerry

(2 women!)

and the four highest scoring non-winners

Andrew - 19,400
Vaughn - 16,599
John - 15,000
Dan - 14,000

After stumping me in FJ all week (and almost everybody was stumped yesterday) they gave us an easy one today.  Easy to guess anyway.

• Love 2

Yes, Kerry was a cool head and ruled this game. I got a laugh out of the fellow on the right. At least he seemed to be having a good time and didn't take it too seriously like that guy who flipped a tizwad a few weeks back when he got so many wrong answers.

• Love 3

i missed the Matt game. Kind of bummed about that.

In terms of demographics, both times I've auditioned, the group seemed pretty equal m/f, but also predominantly white. That's a fully non-scientific observation of a very small portion of the contestant pool.

• Love 1

Uncle Junior from the Sopranos was a TS -- how soon we forget.

I'm calling bullshit on that whole 'What is Jenner ?" response -- which one, there are so many Jenners ?  Would they have been ruled correct if they said 'Bruce Jenner' since it was Caitlin that made that statement ?

• Love 7

Uncle Junior was a QS, quadruple stumper, if you count me. I've never seen one episode of The Sopranos (no cable, no HBO). At least it was a lower-valued clue.

Trebek hesitated after the Jenner answer. And yeah, it should have been Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner, didn't she say that during Barbara Walters' Caitlyn interview (which I did not watch)? Letting "Jenner" squeeze by as correct kept judges from ruling on one or the other. The only problem is, as Otto says, there are a bunch of Jenners.

Whistler's Mother, easy peasy for me. It made up for me not having one single clue on FJ yesterday. I couldn't even understand yesterday's FJ clue. Showing the photo today for FJ made it almost as simple as Reagan's photo yesterday.

Edited by 17wheatthins
Proper pronoun use
  • Love 6

I knew Uncle Junior but did not recognize Whistler's Mother. I was running through every famous 19th century woman I could think of who could have been born in North Carolina and died in England. My first thought, embarrassingly, was Pocahontas in European dress, but she was about 200 years earlier.

I can understand the confusion on the "Jenner" clue. Was one supposed to use the old name, or the new name, or both, or sidestep the whole issue by just giving the last name? Any of these should have been an acceptable option.

• Love 2

What the hell is Alex's fascination with contestants in their 20's, which none of the ones tonight were? I don't get it.

I got Target, Schlitz, Uncle Junior, and of course, FJ. They should have just shown the painting. I guess that made up for yesterday's headscratcher.

That Jenner clue should have required a first name - both of them.

I swore I wasn't going to root for anyone but I made the mistake of fondly remembering Elliot. So, of course, he had a hard time. Then I remembered Andrew's eye-candyness and he lost. I'm putting a curse on my favorites. WTH?

Kerry bugged me, so she won. :-(

• Love 3

Elliot's rise from the hole in the first round amused me greatly. The middle guy's answer to FJ was what I was trying to figure out: whether the original title of the painting would be necessary, or the popular one acceptable. Turns out both were correct!

• Love 3

First-round-tournament players may be more cautious, because they're playing with the wildcard slots in mind and not just for the win.

Yeah, I get that they're all playing "strategically," but strategy is only as good as the context of the moment.  He was playing against Matt the Monster, and fate threw him a DD in the second-easiest position.  And it turned out to actually be a very easy answer.  Sometimes you have to bend with the breeze.  (I don't know what that means, but it seems wise.)

Weirdly, after today's show, I thought I'd go check out that "Hear what Alex and the contestants are talking about" video on the show website, except they had yesterday's post-show chat up instead of today's.  And Alex was agreeing with me--which I know isn't necessarily a good thing in these parts, but . . .  He was kind of chiding John for letting that exact opportunity get away.  So I may not be right about that, but at least I'm in hostly company.

My brain froze on Uncle Junior's nickname, but I remembered his much more obscure real name--Corrado.  I wonder if they'd have accepted that?

• Love 2

I missed the episode, but as Caitlyn is how she is now known, that's the way to refer to her in almost all circumstances.  There may be times when it makes sense to reference "formerly known as Bruce Jenner" or similar, but this doesn't sound like one, any more than referring to a woman who goes by her married name by her maiden name just because she happened to have gone by the former name back when she said/did the thing being discussed.

Now, while the GLAAD Media Guide is clear on this point, I don't think it's something that everyone knows, including many who have no wish to offend.  So I suspect they'd have accepted either answer, perhaps with a clarifying statement by Alex (which I shudder to imagine).  Because of the potential for offense, I'm a bit surprised they went there.

• Love 4

As for excepting Jenner at the time of the interview with Diane Sawyer Caitlyn had not yet publically announced that was what she wished to be called.

I missed the episode, but as Caitlyn is how she is now known, that's the way to refer to her in almost all circumstances.  There may be times when it makes sense to reference "formerly known as Bruce Jenner" or similar, but this doesn't sound like one, any more than referring to a woman who goes by her married name by her maiden name just because she happened to have gone by the former name back when she said/did the thing being discussed.

Now, while the GLAAD Media Guide is clear on this point, I don't think it's something that everyone knows, including many who have no wish to offend.  So I suspect they'd have accepted either answer, perhaps with a clarifying statement by Alex (which I shudder to imagine).  Because of the potential for offense, I'm a bit surprised they went there.

And that's why accepting just 'Who is Jenner ?" was such a bad call by the judges as this clue badly needed clarification -- plus, who's to say that Andrew would have even got the first name correct when as I mentioned upthread that there are numerous Jenners in that family on those terrible so-called "reality" shows ?

This is basically "Who is Ewing ?" from a couple seasons back all over again, where there were multiple people with the surname Ewing on 'Dallas'.

• Love 2

I missed most of the Jeopardy round last night, but looking at J! Archive, I would've done okay with it.  Double Jeopardy was not so great for me.  Can't remember what the FJ was or whether or not I got it right.  Seems to me the clues were more difficult for this game but maybe that's because there was a politics-related category and I stink at those.

Okay, that's right, Whistler's Mother - I did get that one, and it did seem really easy.  I spent some time trying to remember the actual title which Whistler gave to that painting, though, and finally came up with that as well.  Arrangement in Grey and Black, no. 1

Uncle Junior was a QS, quadruple stumper, if you count me. I've never seen one episode of The Sopranos (no cable, no HBO). At least it was a lower-valued clue.

I was in the same boat (although I do have cable), but after Alex said the correct answer, I remembered a friend talking about the show and mentioning Uncle Junior.

I got Target, Schlitz, Uncle Junior, and of course, FJ.

I didn't see the Schlitz clue, but would've gotten it because my dad drank a lot of it in his day.  I also remember one of that brand's less effective slogans: "If you don't have Schlitz, you don't have gusto."

I just can't, with Kerry's voice.

I don't mind her too much.  Her affect is a little flat, but her voice itself seems okay.  At least she's not Matt, for me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I remembered Andrew and I liked him quite a bit despite the swaying.  I'm glad he'll be getting a wild card spot.

Whistler's Mother was an instaget; I knew it had a formal name but I couldn't quite remember it (came up with Portrait in Black and White) so I was pleased that Whistler's Mother would have been accepted, as I figured it would be.

• Love 1

Yes, Kerry was a cool head and ruled this game. I got a laugh out of the fellow on the right. At least he seemed to be having a good time and didn't take it too seriously like that guy who flipped a tizwad a few weeks back when he got so many wrong answers.

Yeah, I really appreciate when people are relaxed with the game, especially in tournaments like this. I mean, they have already proven themselves, right? 

• Love 2

I liked Kerry, nice and even voice.  Nothing about her bothered me (and I liked her dress).  I also liked Andrew.  On the Jenner question, it almost seemed like Andrew was waiting for Alex to ask for more information, or at least waiting for him to say something more, because he hesitated before picking his next category.  I'm pretty sure he would have said Caitlyn if asked to be more specific.  That is the most famous Jenner right now.  And yes, Alex should have asked him to be more specific.

• Love 2

I goofed with the clue about Tony Soprano. I was thinking of Steve Buscemi's character, who was also named Tony (but not Soprano), so my answer was Tony Soprano. Doh.

As for FJ, that was an instaget for me. My sister said, "Oh, what's that pitchfork one?" i.e., American Gothic. I don't know why the clue included the info about where she lived. Anyway, her bonnet was a big giveaway for me.

• Love 2

I started thinking last night about FJ's Whistler's Mother. As the center contestant wrote, the REAL name of the painting is Arrangement in Grey and Black No.1. The colloquial name is Whistler's Mother. But that's not the proper name. It's sort of like accepting "Old Ironsides" instead of U.S.S. Constitution on a question about that ship. (Plus, Old Ironsides could mean a Raymond Burr tv role!) 

Of course, I am over-thinking this since the judge are playing pretty loose this season, and cutting a lot of questionable answers some slack.

I did not notice anything off or strange about Kerry, other than I do not remember her at all from this season. I guess I'll get to see her again next week. I did enjoy Elliott, even if he was not having his best day. I will say, there have been some cutie-patootie guy champions this year.

I don't know why the clue included the info about where she lived. Anyway, her bonnet was a big giveaway for me.

I think the "where she lived" part of the clue was to throw people off the answer and make them over think. And yes to the bonnet, plus Whistler caught her likeness dead-on, so I recognized her from the photo.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I thought the FJ clue referred to the name of the person who was being portrayed, not the name of the painting. This makes "Who is Whistler's mother?" a correct response, and "Arrangement in..."(whatever) irrelevant.

Doubting my recall, I just checked the J!Archives, but they don't have yesterday's FJ yet. I'll be curious to find out what the exact wording was, once it's there.

• Love 3

Surprising TS of the Day: Wes Craven's New Nightmare, and alternate/alternate. Not many TS today! Alex just dominated. Wowza. Cannot WAIT for next week, lots of great competitors.

I tweeted that Michael Billow is "really letting his Soul Glo." That hair, though. I think someone might have gotten drunk and told him he looks like Josh Groban, and he took it way too seriously. I tweeted that as well, and he seems to have a great sense of humor because he responded "I've heard that from a surprising number of sober people, too!" LOL

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 3

I goofed with the clue about Tony Soprano. I was thinking of Steve Buscemi's character, who was also named Tony (but not Soprano), so my answer was Tony Soprano. Doh.

As for FJ, that was an instaget for me. My sister said, "Oh, what's that pitchfork one?" i.e., American Gothic. I don't know why the clue included the info about where she lived. Anyway, her bonnet was a big giveaway for me.

I'd never heard of Whistler's Mother, so I didn't have any chance of getting FJ, but I did think that the woman looked like the woman with the pitchfork (I blanked on the name of the painting). I was 99% sure that was the wrong answer, but it was all I could come up with also!

I think this is why they didn't ask him to be more specific, though I agree it was warranted. I think that for the purpose of Jeopardy, either first name should be accepted. Although I am well aware that Caitlyn is the appropriate first name to use, because the clue referenced the interview and in the interview she was still using the name Bruce, my immediate response was "Bruce-no, Caitlyn-Jenner", simply because that interview was referred to as an interview with Bruce Jenner at the time it occurred, and therefore that is what it is in my memory as. I can easily see someone using 'Bruce' in a high-pressure situation where you have to answer very quickly.

I am cringing at the thought of Alex attempting to make it clear that she should be referred to as Caitlyn Jenner, so I'm kind of glad that they just left it at "Jenner".

• Love 2

For anyone curious, here is a picture of Alex with hair similar to Michael's:
  q4ZKTjh0_400x400.jpeg

And Alex Jacob's story about the Jeopardy cake was adorable.

The channel that airs Jeopardy where I live doesn't show the news, so no chance of it getting pre-empted in favour of news coverage.

• Love 2

It showed here before the Paris thing went down, so basically Alex Jacob owned it. Could not be caught going into FJ, which ended up being a TS but I can't remember what it was. No wildcards from tonight's game, they were all from earlier in the week, but Alex is moving on. He ended up with around $26,000. Nothing too outrageous besides a couple easy TS I mentioned in a previous post.

• Love 1

It showed here before the Paris thing went down, so basically Alex Jacob owned it. Could not be caught going into FJ, which ended up being a TS but I can't remember what it was. No wildcards from tonight's game, they were all from earlier in the week, but Alex is moving on. He ended up with around $26,000. Nothing too outrageous besides a couple easy TS I mentioned in a previous post.

I was surprised by the fact that FJ was a TS -- I blurted out the correct answer before reading the complete clue -- and surprised I was right because I have no idea where I remembered that answer from.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

A picture of Stalin? Really show?

Good entertaining game.

Marriage becomes Itchy Alex. He had on a different shirt and he didn't scratch himself. That wedding cake was adorable.

I slapped my forehead when FJ was revealed. My mind is shot. I once aced a contest regarding Greek and Roman mythology and now I can't remember a damned thing.

• Love 5

I hope we get to see an Alex Jacob vs. Matt Jackson match-up next week.  (Although I am secretly hoping for a Kerry win).  The jeopardy cake was adorable.  I loved the categories.  And yes, marriage must agree with him.

• Love 3

Normally I don't get too irritated by Alex T., but his reaction to Alex's cake was annoying. Alex was adorable saying the cake is now his favorite thing ever and Alex T. pooh-poohed it. Shut up, Alex. Also I laughed when Alex T. came out and said tonight's show was an episode of "Hair," and then he had to ruin it by making a second, less funny joke.

• Love 2

A picture of Stalin? Really show?

For a second there when they showed the pic of Hitler, I was afraid the clue was going to be to identify him.

I thought the FJ clue referred to the name of the person who was being portrayed, not the name of the painting. This makes "Who is Whistler's mother?" a correct response, and "Arrangement in..."(whatever) irrelevant.

Doubting my recall, I just checked the J!Archives, but they don't have yesterday's FJ yet. I'll be curious to find out what the exact wording was, once it's there.

"The woman seen here, who was born in North Carolina and died in England in 1881, was the subject of this painting." So they were asking for the name of the painting.

• Love 5

Double Jeopardy and the FJ clue were pre-empted here (for Paris coverage) but I did get the see the wedding cake and I thought it was fantastic. I'm liking everyone in the Tournament so far, folks are all coming across genuine and likable, with sense of humor. I wonder if they did some different kind of backstage prep to loosen people up this time.

ETA: interesting to see the clarification about yesterday's FJ clue, and that they did accept the name of the subject rather than the name of the painting. I wonder if there was some judge conferencing on that, or if it was an easy ruling.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

Oh yes! I remember the most unintentionally horrifying moment of the night, thanks to mojoween. After the Hair joke, Trebek (talking to the grey-haired man in the middle) said "it's us against the two blacks!" He meant "black-haired guys" but yowza, Trebek, you should NOT be ad-libbing.

• Love 9

After the Hair joke, Trebek (talking to the grey-haired man in the middle) said "it's us against the two blacks!"

I laughed at that.  Just think of the reaction if those two contestants really were black!

Did not get FJ either; I said Hera but didn't really think it was right.

• Love 4

ETA: interesting to see the clarification about yesterday's FJ clue, and that they did accept the name of the subject rather than the name of the painting. I wonder if there was some judge conferencing on that, or if it was an easy ruling.

I know 'Whistler's Mother' is not the actual title of the painting, but I think it's generally accepted as the title. If a contestant said "What is the mother of James Whistler," that would be ruled incorrect. :)

Did not get FJ either; I said Hera but didn't really think it was right.

I too said Hera not really thinking it was right. I even thought that might have been a Roman goddess. I always get the Roman and Greek ones mixed up. Pandora really surprised me.

• Love 3

I liked Alex Jacobs surprising himself with right answers sometimes. 

Maybe we're the only ones, but my family would totally watch "Scott Lord, Construction Attorney", on whatever network chose to turn it into a TV show!

I just remember him as only having stories about spending lots of money -- he's the one who flew everyone to France or whatever for his wife's birthday, right? Spending more than his J! winnings at that point? 

• Love 2

DC isn't showing J! - what happened on tonight's show? Anything exciting?

It's pre-empted in my area. (Can't complain - this is some serious shit going on.) Anything unusually interesting/ridiculous happen in tonight's show?

Considering the hour, please feel free to share details on tonight's show for those of us who were preempted by tonight's tragedy.

For those who missed it. I only got the first round. Not sure how long the link will work:

https://youtu.be/GI4UJfTaxqU?t=16s

• Love 1

I know 'Whistler's Mother' is not the actual title of the painting, but I think it's generally accepted as the title. If a contestant said "What is the mother of James Whistler," that would be ruled incorrect. :)

I suppose then that "Anna Matilda McNeill Whistler" would have, also.