Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

As with many of you, the show here went to Lester Holt right after the Jeopardy round, so I had to come here to see if Alex won. Friday was the first day I stopped working to actually sit and watch the show without distraction. 

Thanks to everyone who posted online links to the episode.

Alex Jacob tweeted a photo of his wedding cake back when the wedding happened. Someone asked him if he "jumped around" the Jeopardy board cake, and he replied that his first piece was a 1600 clue. He has a good sense of humor on top of being smart.

While I'm a gigantic Alex fan, I have to say I enjoy Matt more. Looking forward to seeing them play each other. Well, that's if they do.

Everyone does seem to be in a good mood during this week, Trebek and the players. Maybe because they all have been there many times so the stage-fright stuff is gone. Plus, everyone already has a nice paycheck in the bank, so there's that, too!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I mistakenly thought Howard Stern was the "mouthy media mogul."  My mind probably retained his boast of being the "King of All Media."  Add me to the list of people perturbed by pictures of FDR,  Stalin, and (correct me if I'm wrong) Hitler being used as clues.  Needless to say, Time's Man of the Year is a male-dominant club, past and present.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

I just got to watch Friday's episode, thank you very much teebax. Apologies to Pandora about Man of the Year, since the category was PERSON of the Year. So yeah, very heavily male-oriented. 

I don't know if it was because I read it here, but I was all "Howard Stern!" for the big-mouth media mogul too. 

I got a huge laugh out of Trebek repeating "pince nez" in his overly pronounced foreign way after Alex Jacob said it exactly as I've heard it pronounced my entire life. WTH, Trebek, can't you let anything go?

I also wondered what was up with Alex Jacob picking all the low value clues when there were lots of high-value ones on the board. What the heck!

And lastly, I got a charge out of FJ's clue saying the woman was "famous." Obviously, Pandora is not as famous as the clue writers think she is/was. 

The line up for next week is full of cuties. Of all sorts! Can't wait. It should be a stellar week of competition.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

And lastly, I got a charge out of FJ's clue saying the woman was "famous." Obviously, Pandora is not as famous as the clue writers think she is/was.

I missed the show Friday (because I was out,but the show would probably have been pre-empted here anyway). I read the FJ clue and can understand the contestants' confusion. If you asked them who in Greek myth opened the box (or jar) that let evils into the world, I'd be surprised if they didn't know it. But we almost never hear of Pandora in any other context. I don't even recall a source stating explicitly that she and Epimetheus were married, just that Deucalion was a son of Prometheus and Pyrrha a daughter of Epimetheus. It's a bit of Greek mythology sexism that the man was the child of Mr. Smart and the woman the child of Mr. Stupid.

• Love 2

The Pandora clue bothered me so much, I pulled out the 2 volume The Greek Myths by Robert Graves. It explicitly says Pandora and her jar were given to Epimetheus as Zeus's revenge for Prometheus's stealing fire. That's the only story about her. Obviously, there are other versions but the reason the clue bothered me so much is that I've never heard any myth like the clue referenced and I'm fairly well versed in Greek mythology (even if I couldn't think of Deucalion's name).

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

GreekGeek and ABay, your knowledge of Greek mythology impresses me. If I had been on that episode, I would have bet a big, fat zero dollars once I saw the category. So thanks for all the insight into the "famous" Pandora. I know Pandora best as a bracelet brand. How shallow is that? Although that could be a good future Jeopardy clue.

In thinking about my own statement wondering why Alex Jacob was choosing all the smaller-dollar clues, and from the top even, when other high-dollar ones were still on the board: It came to me that he knew he was so far ahead in the game, he was letting his competitors catch up a bit (but not too much) to him. JMHO, of course.

• Love 3

My "power ranking" of the remaining contestants.  Based on no serious analysis whatsoever, just my gut feel from watching last week's games.

1. Matt
  2. Alex
  3. Kerry
  4. John (runner up in Matt's game)
  5. Andrew (runner up in Kerry's game)
  6. Catherine
  7. Vaughn (runner up in Catherine's game)
  8. Brennan
  9. Dan (2nd runner up in Catherine's game)
  • Love 1

I have noticed a drop-off of the difficulty of questions this tournament. Really, identifying Stalin is a clue?

Rooting for Matt. He drove me crazy when he started his run with his kind of weird demeanor, but he grew on me (especially when his interview bits showed a less intense and kind of funny guy - his hand-waving during his intro this time cemented for me that he has a sense of humor) and when he called himself out for a mispronunciation of an answer on his last game, he rose to one of my favorites of all time as a smart and decent guy. And he exhibits an enjoyment in playing the game that I didn't see in players like this season's Alex, Arthur, or Roger Craig.

• Love 4

Did not get FJ either; I said Hera but didn't really think it was right.

I said Hera first, then changed it to Rhea.  Probably should've gotten Pandora, given that I watch Sleepy Hollow, but although I'm usually pretty good at mythology, I don't know much about the Pandora myth beyond the box with all the troubles in the world in it.

I was very surprised to find myself not minding Alex.  Maybe, as someone posited above, it's because marriage agrees with him, or maybe it's just because he's not Matt or JOSH!!!!!!.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Monday:

Each of the three contestants got a daily double, and each missed it, if I remember correctly.

Overall I found the clues harder today than they were last week.  But FJ was at about the right level of difficulty.

John took risks and rang in when he wasn't 100% sure of the answer.  He probably figured he had to in a game against very good players.  It backfired on him and he went deep into the hole before digging out.

Kerry - playing to the stereotype of the conservative New Englander.

I do not know what Hanseatic means but still said Hamburg. It sounded like it should have been something German to me.

Dammit, Dan. I wanted you to win so if Matt won, it would be a battle royale between Matt barking out the clues and Dan saying please and chuckling every single time.

Can't believe no one got Sphinx.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Sphinx and boot cut were surprising TS, imo.

I was hoping for a higher-scoring game, but I think there were a lot of incorrect answers.

For Kerry's DD about Pope Benedict, I was like "wow that's such an easy clue" because I was just thinking "Benedict", but then she said "Benedict the 26th" and I realized what was hard about the clue. I was pretty sure 26th was the wrong number, and I recognized 16 as correct when Alex said it, but for the life of me I wouldn't have been able to come up with that number on my own.

I didn't know what Hanseatic meant either, and I didn't get FJ. I didn't even know what part of Europe to start thinking of!

• Love 2

I remembered the Hanseatic League from high school (a century ago) and I knew Germany was part of it but I said Frankfurt instead of Hamburg - I don't think Frankfurt is even a port city but it was the only non-capital German city I could think of.

• Love 1

I got Sphinx and Guernsey. I was going to call foul on accepting elk for moose, but in Europe moose are called elk. Who knew?

As I've said before, I know next to nothing about opera, and most of what I know I learned on Jeopardy! To my surprise, I ran the Metropolitan Opera category.

Kerry. Ugh. She's just so bland I can't imagine a bar naming a drink after her.

• Love 4

Scooch over and make room at the kids' table, mojoween.  "CU next Tuesday" was my first thought, too.  But then it occurred to me that this was Jeopardy! so . . . no.

I would've just said Benedict for the pope clue.  Since there wasn't a Benedict before XVI for something like a hundred and fifty years, I think they might've accepted the name without the number.  (Like I know what's in the judges' minds.)

• Love 4

Oh! I forgot to mention how incredibly juvenile I am because when the category started with "cu" my mind filled in the blank with "next Tuesday" and then I cackled because I am a CHILD.

I thought CU in the funny papers. Something my Dad used to say.

• Love 1

...or Charles Osgood's "See you on the radio.."

Please don't mock Kerry's hairstyle.  Some folks are cursed with hair that will not do anything you ask of it.  I've got a hairstyle like Kerry's because it's the ONLY thing my hair will do that actually looks like a style, albeit a dated one.

I was puzzled by the elk/moose thing, too.  I got most of the opera category; the popes baffled me.  I always thought John Paul II actually should've taken the name George Ringo, instead of John Paul II.

I recalled (from my early days as a travel agent) The SS Hanseatic, owned by the German Atlantic Line, and I knew Hamburg was a port city, so I got FJ - even before the time ran out! (Unusual for me.)

• Love 4

John took risks and rang in when he wasn't 100% sure of the answer.  He probably figured he had to in a game against very good players.  It backfired on him and he went deep into the hole before digging out.

That guessing of his drove me nuts. OK if you want to take a couple of chances but once you're at negative $2,000 it's time for a new strategy.

I do not know what Hanseatic means but still said Hamburg. It sounded like it should have been something German to me.

I thought so too, just because of "Hans" but couldn't think of a German city other than Berlin.

I was thrilled, THRILLED, that I got a TS: australopithecus!

I recognized Lucy but didn't remember she was an australopithecus. Besides "australopithecus" being a fun word to say, I always smile when Lucy is a Jeopardy question because I was privileged to take an anthropology class with Donald Johanson and he signed our copies of "Lucy".

ETA: So sorry to see Dan lose

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 3

Me too! I would be toast if anyone expected me to find it on a map. I went to high school in an era when we were required to take world geography OR world history. I'm not visual, so I opted for the one with more text.

Does anyone else yell the right answer multiple times on a TS, each time with increasing urgency and disbelief, like one of the contestants would get it if they would just LISTEN? No? Uh, never mind.

• Love 10

I remember the first time I encountered a Hanseatic League question on Jeopardy -- and had no idea what they were talking about, so I definitely looked it up so FJ was easy. 

For example, that's where 'hansa' in Lufthansa Airlines comes from.

• Love 6

I was proud of myself for getting Marcel Proust from "Swann song." And I know very little about cows, but I figured out Guernsey. I had no clue on FJ, though. I guessed it was someplace German-speaking, but my mind went to cities in Switzerland for some reason.

Nice to see there will be at least one woman in the finals, even if she is kind of drab. It's good to know that not every woman feels the need to glam herself up for TV.

• Love 4

Love Kerry (hairstyle and all).  I think she is the epitome of a good Jeopardy player.  Glad she will be in the finals.

I agree...really enjoying Kerry and hope she fares well.  I'm not finding her drab at all and, in fact, think she's kinda' cute.  Have to stick up for a New England gal!

• Love 4

I was going to call foul on accepting elk for moose, but in Europe moose are called elk. Who knew?

I didn't know that. I'd always heard that elk was the largest member of the deer family, but when Alex said "or moose" I suddenly thought that moose are bigger than elk. So... I'm kind of lost.

I was thrilled, THRILLED, that I got a TS: australopithecus! That until-now useless anthropology degree finally pays dividends! :-P

Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't even understand what Alex said.

TS's I got were bootcut and Guernsey. I didn't hear the Sphinx clue, so I don't know if I would have gotten that.

All the opera tunes were familiar to me, but except for Wagner and Barber of Seville -- otherwise known as Rabbit of Seville -- I didn't get any others. Yes, I get my opera knowledge from Bugs Bunny and Gilligan's Island.

• Love 3

Does anyone else yell the right answer multiple times on a TS, each time with increasing urgency and disbelief, like one of the contestants would get it if they would just LISTEN? No? Uh, never mind.

Well, maybe not "yell", but I sit there repeating the answer, expecting one of them will hear me.

• Love 5
Kerry - playing to the stereotype of the conservative New Englander.

I find her ... soothing.

Given the histrionics of some of the other players this year -- drah! ma! -- give me Kerry every time. I also liked Julia Collins and Larissa Kelly for the same reasons. Smart, no quirks, plays quickly. My kind of player. I put Frank Spangenberg and Tom Nissley in that same category. Just soothing and smart.

• Love 7

Yes! I was screaming "Guernsey" at the top of my lungs repeatedly. They never listen to me. Ingrates.

• Love 9

Kerry's demeanor and hairstyle both seem perfectly typical and inoffensive to me.

I didn't switch back from the game in time to see FJ, so I have no idea whether I'd have known it.  I knew several TS (sphinx, Guernsey, boot cut ... but not the Lucy clue).

From Alex's remarks, it seems they were only looking for Benedict, and had she not appended any number, she'd have been ruled correct rather than being asked to be more specific.  And in another Pope clue, they gave the number as a parenthetical, which I thought was a little odd, as they always seem so specific (which is why I suck in Pope clues; even if I can come up with the name, I can't come up with the number).

The opera clues must have been over-valued, as I got all of them and I know precious little about opera.

And, yes, when a clue I can solve goes unanswered, I repeat it progressively louder as time ticks away.

• Love 3

Gee, I was really hoping that John would win, but his continuing to guess when he was in the hole was hard to watch. John, stop!  If you aren't sure and you're in the red, just stop!

Anyway, I thought this was a somewhat dull game, with some very easy clues and a few I had no idea about.

Kerry is probably a lovely person but she sounded bored to me and I hope that was just nerves.  As for her hair, I have really horrible hair too, but I think she could find something a little more flattering than that dutch boy look. 

I'm hoping the rest of the tournament is more lively.

• Love 3

Nice to see there will be at least one woman in the finals, even if she is kind of drab. It's good to know that not every woman feels the need to glam herself up for TV.

It's funny how we rarely see comments about male contestants' hair styles. I don't think she'll win it all, but I'd take Kerry over a number of annoying contestants we've had this season. And I don't give a damn about her hair. It's Jeopardy, not Tabatha Takes Over!

• Love 9

I like Kerry, but dispute her identification as  New Englander -- she lives in New Hampshire now, but I don't think she's been there for long. She couldn't identify Tom Menino (longtime mayor of Boston) in a picture!

• Love 2
I'd always heard that elk was the largest member of the deer family, but when Alex said "or moose" I suddenly thought that moose are bigger than elk. So... I'm kind of lost.

I was all in a tiz about elk being accepted when it is the moose that is the largest of the deer family AND has the dewlap required by the clue. Then I did a bit of research and discovered this: 'Alces alces, also known as the moose, stands at approximately six feet tall at the shoulder, making it the largest member of the deer family. In Latin, alces means "elk". This can sometimes cause confusion when talking about Alces alces because European countries refer to it as "elk" and North Americans refer to it as "moose".

So, the contestant who answered "elk" was wrong and correct at the same time.

I would've just said Benedict for the pope clue.  Since there wasn't a Benedict before XVI for something like a hundred and fifty years, I think they might've accepted the name without the number.

I definitely think just plain Benedict would have been accepted; Trebek implied just that. It goes with Jeopardy's standard of accepting just one part of a name as being correct. (Carson Bendict not withstanding.) Luckily, it did not affect Kerry's score.

I knew bootcut because I remember then that was all the style. Plus, I needed to buy them to fit over my boots. I also knew Guernsey because, you know, I am familiar with cow windows and such. Animal categories are usually stumpers on this show, and since bootcut sort of goes with riding horses (even if most wearers do not), I give all players a pass on those being TSs.

I sat and watched yesterday without trying to squeeze any work in between answers. I did not see a single thing offensive or "off" about Kerry. I like her. And I wish I had her hair. Mine resembles Rosanne Rosannadanna if it's not held captive by a clip. And I cannot complain about her hairstyle. As one co-worker said to me, "You've had the same hairstyle since high school." And trust me, gang, I've been out of high school many more years than has Kerry. Hair ... it's not a big deal. It's what's underneath the hair that counts IMO.

It's funny how we rarely see comments about male contestants' hair styles.

A while back there was a guy on who had sort of a pompadour  with the sides shaved. I commented on it here and was told it's all the style with the young whippersnappers these days. Who knew?

I still can't believe that a contestant on the TOC got all the way up to negative $3000.

I felt sorry for him. He had to be fighting the stress of being up against those brainiacs, then failing made him all the more stressed. It was an achievement to even appear in this tourney. He needs a hug.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I don't have an issue with Kerry's hair, but my ears just find her voice so displeasing I cannot get over it. I've often been told I have the ears of a bat and also the ears of a dog so that's probably why I cannot root for her.

• Love 3

No, but I have been known to shout "Oh, you idiot!" at the TV when someone gives a spectacularly wrong response.

I know they're all easy when you know them, but I was really surprised bootcut was a TS.  And even though many people wouldn't claim opera as a strong suit, I was surprised at Aida as well, especially since they correctly answered the rest of the category.  I would have thought "opera + Egypt = Aida" was another of those basic Jeopardy Arithmetic rules.  

• Love 1

And even though many people wouldn't claim opera as a strong suit, I was surprised at Aida as well, especially since they correctly answered the rest of the category.  I would have thought "opera + Egypt = Aida" was another of those basic Jeopardy Arithmetic rules.

I got it because of Beaches.  Thank you, Otto Titsling.

• Love 1

I have no issues with Kerry's haircut. Of course, I take after my mother with a total lack of regard for my personal appearance, never wearing makeup and keeping my hair in a perpetual "mom ponytail," so I might not be the best person to ask. But maybe Kerry just doesn't care about hair and makeup and clothes and boys. I have been greatly enjoying her because she seems like such a chill lady. Like, she seems a bit standoffish but once you got to know her she would be the most fun person in the room. That's the vibe I get from her. Can't wait to see the inevitable Alex/Matt/Kerry finals.

• Love 5

'Alces alces, also known as the moose, stands at approximately six feet tall at the shoulder, making it the largest member of the deer family. In Latin, alces means "elk". This can sometimes cause confusion when talking about Alces alces because European countries refer to it as "elk" and North Americans refer to it as "moose".

So it's like American football and soccer and the rest of the world football/futbol.

• Love 2