Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

You should see the movie just for that scene, telling Miss Scarlett with her high pitched voice that she didn't know nothin' bout birthin' babies. And Scarlett just snapped at her and told her to pull herself together (or something like that). Yes, you must've picked up this info' re: GWTW via osmosis! Thanks so much. Who knows--some day on Jeopardy, it might be FJ 😉

...with a picture.

• LOL 7
54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Salpingo meant nothing to me I just assumed it was a technique related to the "ectomy".  I did recognize oophorectomy, so I got it right and learned something new on the forum.

I embarrassingly said it was the removal of eggs. Which wasn't totally incorrect, I guess, as there would be eggs removed.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:
10 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Emma is obviously bright and quick but if she hadn't beaten James, would she even be in the ToC?

She would not, which is why I can't root for her to win. I almost wish she wouldn't have made the finals so the James/Emma rematch anticipation would have been a bust. Guess that makes me petty af, as the kids say. 

This is me! I really want a James win but I was rooting against Emma because I don't think she belongs here. She had a nice money amount but she was only on for 3 days, any other season she would not have made the TOC. Wonder how many other 3 day winners have won that much? GO James and if not you, then go Francois!!

• Love 5

Having watched James in most of his Jeopardy games, I still believe he wanted out after so many weeks of taping those games all day long.  So, I'll be watching him tonight 😎 to see if he's really into the game (I'm sure he will be cause this is nothing like his original, multi-week time on the show). I can't get over how much he knows about almost everything in the world! He's like a walking/talking Wikipedia. He should've left Emma in the dust that time she beat him. But I'm still rooting for Francois.  He may not have a TV show personality but who cares.  And Dhruv is going to be on Ellen's show?  Whoever gets to watch, let us know please how it goes. That was such a special gesture toward Alex.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

And Dhruv is going to be on Ellen's show?  Whoever gets to watch, let us know please how it goes.

Ellen is on here opposite Jeopardy, and since I can no longer watch Jeopardy, I will try to remember to watch Ellen. Dhruv's clip, audio and video, has been all over tv and radio. I'm guessing he gets prizes!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Ellen is on here opposite Jeopardy, and since I can no longer watch Jeopardy, I will try to remember to watch Ellen. Dhruv's clip, audio and video, has been all over tv and radio. I'm guessing he gets prizes!

Here, Jeopardy airs at night and Ellen during the day.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Here, Jeopardy airs at night and Ellen during the day.

Here they both air during the afternoon. My antenna picks up ABC (Ellen) but not NBC (Jeopardy). Jeopardy airs at different times all around the country. Some places, it's on in the morning. You can watch while eating breakfast.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, we know what the Rust Belt is. But how does it apply to how the FJ clue was written? The clue: In 2018 Forbes said this "Belt's Demographic Delight is" this other "Belt's Demographic Dilemma." Why is one belt's delight the other belt's dilemma? See if your son can explain that. I live in the Midwest and we have plenty of sun here.

The Rust Belt has been losing population for some time, and the Sun Belt gaining it.  For me, demographics = population in this case.

18 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I hope this isn't Alex's final ToC, but if so, I hope that the players who would have qualified but were left out are able to play in the post-Trebek era. I would imagine there would be some sort of a time-lapse between hosts, and the producers may want a clean slate. 

I doubt that, I think they'd very much want continuity.  Just my opinion, though.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, catlover79 said:

It's so funny. I was watching tonight's episode with the folks when all of a sudden my mom shouted, "These questions are TOO EASY!!" I knew she was right because even I was answering the majority of questions correctly. 😂

I felt the exact opposite - like last night's game was by far the hardest of the Tournament.  Although I knew Jane Austen would be in the Her First Published Novel category.

I had no clue on FJ.  I did know Good Night and Good Luck, thanks to the George Clooney movie.

16 hours ago, lb60 said:

I did get Demi Lovato, so that made me feel better. ;-)

Me, too.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Having watched James in most of his Jeopardy games, I still believe he wanted out after so many weeks of taping those games all day long.  So, I'll be watching him tonight 😎 to see if he's really into the game (I'm sure he will be cause this is nothing like his original, multi-week time on the show). I can't get over how much he knows about almost everything in the world! He's like a walking/talking Wikipedia. He should've left Emma in the dust that time she beat him. But I'm still rooting for Francois.  He may not have a TV show personality but who cares.  And Dhruv is going to be on Ellen's show?  Whoever gets to watch, let us know please how it goes. That was such a special gesture toward Alex.

I don't buy that at all.  He didn't look or act tired during his final regular game.  He just got beaten.  It happened to Ken Jennings after 70-odd games.  It happens to all champions in the end.  Except for Brad Rutter, who's only ever lost to a computer.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't buy that at all.  He didn't look or act tired during his final regular game.  He just got beaten. 

Totally agree with this. Why would any player want out when he/she could go on and win 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 million. I wouldn't. I'd find a way to tough it out for a few years and pocket a cool zillion bucks if I could. And James, while intelligent, is no Watson. Every human can be beaten.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I hope this isn't Alex's final ToC, but if so, I hope that the players who would have qualified but were left out are able to play in the post-Trebek era. I would imagine there would be some sort of a time-lapse between hosts, and the producers may want a clean slate. 

Are there really any players who were left out?  They got all the five time winners and the top money-winning four time winners, plus Francois (Teacher's Tournament) and Druv (College Tournament) for this ToC; the only one who wouldn't normally make it in is Emma (since Larry Martin died, there was a vacant spot).  The rest of the four time winners just don't qualify for a ToC.

There's already a new ToC Tracker eligibility list for the next ToC.  I don't think they'll bring forward any past 4x winners unless they are really needed to make up 15 players.

This is the qualifier re who might or might make it, at bottom of list:

Presence on this list does NOT guarantee an invitation to compete in the Tournament of Champions. Other eligibility rules apply and final selection is up to the producers' sole discretion.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Are there really any players who were left out?  They got all the five time winners and the top money-winning four time winners, plus Francois (Teacher's Tournament) and Druv (College Tournament) for this ToC; the only one who wouldn't normally make it in is Emma (since Larry Martin died, there was a vacant spot).  The rest of the four time winners just don't qualify for a ToC.

There's already a new ToC Tracker eligibility list for the next ToC.  I don't think they'll bring forward any past 4x winners unless they are really needed to make up 15 players.

This is the qualifier re who might or might make it, at bottom of list:

Some posters (myself included) felt that Sam should've been included in this year's TOC instead of waiting for next year's, but honestly, I'm not sure when the cut-off date was for this year anyway.  I haven't really spent a lot of time worrying about it.  Sam & Jason (who won 19 games) are both eligible for next year, so I don't care that much.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I think a lot of people think Emma only made it for the rematch with James since she was a 3-game winner, and that a 4-game winner should've had her spot instead.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think a lot of people think Emma only made it for the rematch with James since she was a 3-game winner

I'm pretty sure that is why she was invited, but the person who really should have had the spot was the second place contestant in Larry Miller's tournament. I don't think another 4 time winner should have got it anyhow.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I felt the exact opposite - like last night's game was by far the hardest of the Tournament.  Although I knew Jane Austen would be in the Her First Published Novel category.

I had no clue on FJ.  I did know Good Night and Good Luck, thanks to the George Clooney movie.

Me, too.

Sense and Sensibility is the only clue I thought was elementary school level (at least when it comes to Jeopardy viewers). Though I don't think it was the hardest (for me) of the Tournament, I didn't think it was easy either. As always, easy or hard depends on our individual knowledge bases. Heavy on geography and sports...it sucks to be me.

I was ticked I didn't get Good Night and Good Luck, it was on the tip of my tongue. I knew a fair bit about Murrow once upon a time. (did not see the movie)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, suebee12 said:

This is me! I really want a James win but I was rooting against Emma because I don't think she belongs here. She had a nice money amount but she was only on for 3 days, any other season she would not have made the TOC. Wonder how many other 3 day winners have won that much? GO James and if not you, then go Francois!!

I was rooting for Emma because I think she's getting a lot of look-related hate, which annoys me.  But, on Jeopardy's FB page, they said the Finals are a rematch between James and Emma. So, now I need to root for Francois, because that's pretty crappy of the show to just ignore him like that.  

• Love 8
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, it's 6 p.m. and I just remembered that Ellen was on two hours ago.

Eh.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Well, it's 6 p.m. and I just remembered that Ellen was on two hours ago.

Eh.

Just watched a clip of it on Twitter. Ellen gave him a 75-inch TV. He really seems like an awesome guy.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, opus said:

Weird seeing James in the middle.

That's what I said!! 😂 In the tournaments, how do they dictate where the contestants are placed, anyway?

I totally blew FJ. I thought it was Lamentations, based on the way the clue was phrased.

Glad to see Alex saying "genre" again!! The studio audience seemed just as tickled.

Thanks, @suebee12, for posting the video. I had forgotten that he was going to be on today.

• Love 2
Just now, catlover79 said:

That's what I said!! 😂 In the tournaments, how do they dictate where the contestants are placed, anyway?

I was thinking they were in the order of the games they qualified, but no, on reflection James wouldn't have been in the middle.  So I'd guess it was random draw.

I got Final Jeopardy.  I was surprised to learn that my mother (who watches with me) had never seen the word "jeremiad" before.

• Love 2

Awww crap.  I could tell Francois was dragging behind Mr Smarty and Emma early on.  So, these 3 will again be the contestants tomorrow night. Sure. Un-hunh. Another opportunity to witness the walking/talking Wikipedia. Has there ever before  been a contestant like James? How can one human being know so much?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I know I am at a lonely table but I am actually rooting for James.  I became more fond of him as his run went on. 

Me too!!

Although I do also really like Emma and Francois, I think James is the better player and I thoroughly enjoy watching him dominate.

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I got Final Jeopardy.  I was surprised to learn that my mother (who watches with me) had never seen the word "jeremiad" before.

I'm with Mom - I've never heard of that word before either.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Me too!!

Although I do also really like Emma and Francois, I think James is the better player and I thoroughly enjoy watching him dominate.

I'm also a fan of James. I was surprised nobody knew Michael Avinatti and that James missed Oscar Wilde.

• Love 3

I said Lamentations for FJ.  I have never hear dof the word Jeremiaed (sp?).  Fun fact.  Jeremiah also wrote Lamentations.

I got Oscar Wilde.  Whoo-hoo.  I got an answer James missed.  I'm clearly ready to go on the show myself now.  We'll just ignore all those other questions I got wrong.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

In the tournaments, how do they dictate where the contestants are placed, anyway?

Winnings (scores) dictate the placement. Jeopardy has rules for almost everything.

Semifinals scores:

Francois 34,801

James 30,156

Emma 29,601

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/13/2019 at 8:39 PM, secnarf said:

I also chafed a bit at "SQ" as a medical abbreviation. It should never make its way into a medical chart. It's on the list of abbreviations that aren't allowed for safety reasons.

Can you explain this a little more?  What is the safety issue?

2 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

My big surprise of the game? No one know Mickey Spillane! I have seen that photo many, many times!  So not only did James not get it, it was a TS!

I said Phillip Marlowe because I'm a moron. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

According to consumermedsafety.org

SQ mistaken as "5 every;" the "q" in "sub q" has been mistaken as "every" (e.g., a heparin dose ordered "sub q 2 hours before surgery" misunderstood as every 2 hours before surgery)

"q" is an abbreviation for the Latin "quaque", which means "each" or "every."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Name the state on this map where we've labeled Utah and Wyoming was $1600! In the TOC! That clue belonged in the kids tournament.

I didn't see the show, but I can name every state around Utah and Wyoming, even when they are not labeled. So ... I agree on your KT assessment.

2 hours ago, lb60 said:

Well, that was horribly disappointing.

Stay strong. It will be over soon.

• LOL 4
6 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I've been a nurse since Florence Nightingale was a child and I've seen sq written many, many times.  (I used to help Florence keep her lamp lit.) The "S" and the "Q" are not separated when being written for an injection.  If a medication is to be given by mouth every 4 hours it's written, p.o q 4 hrs.  For example, "Give Hershey Bar q 4 hrs, p.o.". 

Now I have a confession.  I want James to win.  Yes!  I admit it, I'm a James fan.  I also like Francois and I'd probably like Emma more if she'd smile or show some sort of facial expression once in a while.  I have another confession that may get me ostracized from this group.  I liked Austin too.

As for donating a dollar to the pancreatic research foundation for every correct answer for tonight and tomorrow..... I think they deserve more than ten dollars from me so I'll be adding to that.  I didn't do too well tonight.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
18 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

SQ mistaken as "5 every;" the "q" in "sub q" has been mistaken as "every" (e.g., a heparin dose ordered "sub q 2 hours before surgery" misunderstood as every 2 hours before surgery)

Yep, that's it in a nutshell. The 'approved abbreviation' for subcutaneous is subcut.

• Useful 1
46 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Name the state on this map where we've labeled Utah and Wyoming was $1600! In the TOC! That clue belonged in the kids tournament.

That was ridiculous; I hate when they do clues like that, period, but it's especially aggravating in a ToC.

The Mickey Spillane and Michael Avenatti TS both surprised me a bit, but that was it. 

I'd never heard the word jeremiad and I can name only a few Bible books, so I stared blankly at the TV during FJ.  In fact, I performed pretty poorly throughout the game; thank goodness for the synonyms for black, new news, teen letter words, and legal categories to make me feel better, because I was pretty spotty in the rest.

• Love 2