Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: The Helium Insufficiency

I agree, the interactions with the helium guy were all fun, and the ending one was a nice touch. I enjoy erudite criminals.

They kind of blurred the distinction between liquid helium (cryogenic) and just plain helium gas in this episode. There is a helium shortage, and I imagine that it's even more of an issue for liquid helium because of the extra processing and more difficult storage. FWIW, the "Uncle Harvey" tank was labeled "GAS".

If liquid helium was stolen, it most likely would have been stolen from a hospital, I think, because it's used for NMR machines. Or from another physics lab.

• Love 2

The writers seem to be getting their groove back.  I liked Sheldon and Leonard on their "A" plot mini adventure, and the rest of the gang (minus Emily) in the "B" plot.  Also loved the subtle way everyone finds out (including us) that Amy had started dating.  With her inexperience it really was the smart thing for her to do, althogh she didn't seem very happy about it.  And Yay to less creepy Stuart this week (I really think someone in Lorre's camp is reading these boards).  Big surprise: although Michael Rapaport usually really, really bugs me (going all the way back to Boston Public), I wouldn't mind seeing him as a semi-regular.  Great chem with Leonard and Sheldon and it would be interesting to see how he would fit in with the rest of the crew.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 5

I think I know where they ordered the pizza from in the ending, based on the shape of the box.  Clearly I've lived in LA too long.  And the best part is that it's in Van Nuys, so perhaps it's close to where the prof was keeping his Russian girlfriend.

• Love 3

This one wasn't LOL funny for me, but it wasn't terrible I guess there's a low bar now. I had been wondering when Amy would go the internet dating route bc that's how she found Sheldon.

• Love 2

I am not an Amy fan by any stretch of the imagination.  She seems to be kind of depressed and gloomy.  She chose to break up with Sheldon quite some time ago, I don't understand why she is coming across as a Debbie Downer.  I get that she is trying to at least interact with other people by going out for breakfast (coffee).  Clearly, her heart isn't into it.

I am hoping (and think they will) eventually get back together.  Amy appears to be trying to get over Sheldon, but deep down  she loves him.  She's stood up for him several times the past few episodes when one of the others have made a snide remark about Sheldon.  I liked the main plot of buying the helium more than the dating storyline, but all in all, I thought it was a good episode.

• Love 3

The writers seem to be getting their groove back.

I agree. The last 2 seasons seemed to be hit or miss episodes, but this season I'm liking every episode.

Loved the helium storyline. Kept expecting it to have a stupid ending, so I loved when the seller ended up back at the apartment with them.

And enjoyed the dating app storyline, as well.  Wonder if Amy and Stuart will end up dating for a while?

• Love 4

I loved the Leonard/Sheldon plot.  I thought it highlighted what I like about the characters.  It showed them actually at their jobs, how clueless they can be when doing things outside of their jobs, Leonard being the more savvy of the two, and Sheldon's inability to not take things too far and taking things literally.  I loved him explaining the Mexican Standoff and not lying to Kripke.

The data plot was only ok for me because I thought it was getting mean-spirited.  In addition, Amy was very uncomfortable and expressed this but they still went on.  I am happy that she was able to find dates on her own and getting out there.  I did laugh really hard when Raj told Stuart that he should leave the room when his picture came up.

• Love 3

There was a whiff of "Justified" in the scenes with erudite criminal (to quote a post from above). I enjoyed the A-plot because it reminded me of vintage BBT. The B-plot was about to steer into mean territory but it was saved by the revelation that Amy had already started to date without telling anyone because they can be great but also really intrusive friends.

• Love 7

I am hoping (and think they will) eventually get back together.  

I think they will get back together, but I kind of hope not. They had written themselves into a corner where Sheldon was behaving insufferably toward Amy. I'm not sure how they can fix that and still have Sheldon be Sheldon (not because he has to be mean, but because he resists change/admission of fault). Maybe his cordial science partnership with Leonard will open his eyes to a relationship of equals? 

Having a single person in the group is usually a way for a sitcom to introduce new characters who stick around as long as they are interesting, and then leave  (a la Friends), though admittedly, they never got the knack of that with Raj's girlfriends. It could be interesting to try that with Amy instead.

• Love 2

I want Michael Rapaport's character to become recurring, because holy crap, his parts were great.  His comedic chemistry with Parsons and Galecki was fantastic.  Massive props to the 3 of them, and the writers.

I really enjoyed this episode, mainly for the Leonard, Sheldon, and dealer parts.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 18
They kind of blurred the distinction between liquid helium (cryogenic) and just plain helium gas in this episode. There is a helium shortage, and I imagine that it's even more of an issue for liquid helium because of the extra processing and more difficult storage. FWIW, the "Uncle Harvey" tank was labeled "GAS".

We use liquid Helium somewhat regularly and there is more to it than just ordering it.  We usually order it a week in advance.  The dewar (container) has to be prepped for the Helium or the Helium will just boil off.  It is continuously filled with liquid Nitrogen to cool it.  Then it is filled with Helium the day before it is delivered to us.  On the morning of delivery it is topped of since some of it will have boiled off.  When we get it it isn't full anymore.  So with all of the steps that were taken before Leonard and Sheldon finally decided to use, the dewar was probably greatly depleted.  BTW- We also use gaseous Helium for leak testing.  We usually have a dewar in our shop, but when we are low we just go to a party store and buy a small dewar.  It's completely different than the liquid.

• Love 3

Great episode!  I too like how Stuart's character is evolving.  Less sad-sack.  Amy: "What do you do when your date wants sex?"  Stuart: "I'll let you know when that happens." (Not an exact quote but lol.)

I too liked Michael Rappaport.  I missed the ending (DVR cut it off) if someone wouldn't mind telling me what happened.

• Love 2

I missed the ending (DVR cut it off) if someone wouldn't mind telling me what happened.

All three back in the apartment getting ready to watch "Ernest Goes to Jail."

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 1

Maybe this series is just getting too tiring for me.  Perhaps it has more to do with so much of the show being taken up with commercial time,  and too many characters that really aren't given a chance to develop given the short amount of time actually devoted to the show.  All I know is that for me, this show is missing something.  Something big.

I couldn't agree more. You put my feelings while watching the show into words very well. Lately, the show has been "eh.." to me. It may have something to do with the fact that it's not a half hour show. Or a 20 minute show. But a TWELVE minute show. Geeze.  Let's put that into perspective shall we? 12 is closer to 10 than 15. So that's like 10 minutes of show, 20 minutes of commericals. I was watching the voice at the same time and I would get all the way through a battle round and the commercials would STILL be on!

How can I get invested in a show that's only on like 12 minutes?  It's not bad. But it's not good either. It's kinda vanilla. They've got a lot of living to squeeze in to a measly 12 minutes and it's just not working for me anymore. Just when it's about to get interesting there's another 7 minute commercial break...snore...

I think BBT is a victim of it's own success.

Okay, I'm done venting now. But dammit. I ADORE this show, and it's just not funny anymore.

• Love 3

I am not an Amy fan by any stretch of the imagination.  She seems to be kind of depressed and gloomy.  She chose to break up with Sheldon quite some time ago, I don't understand why she is coming across as a Debbie Downer.  I get that she is trying to at least interact with other people by going out for breakfast (coffee).  Clearly, her heart isn't into it.  That all being said, I though her little group of friends were being mean when they were going through all of the people she could possibly date.

I came here to post almost exactly that.  But I need to stress the part about not being an Amy fan by any stretch of the imagination and her Debbie Downer personality.  Even before the breakup, she was never anything but irritating to me.

• Love 2

Four is too many questions. Even though the commercials basically spoiled that part, I loved the payoff with Sheldon saying that.

Man this cast is bloated. And Emily is a regular now too? Not that people shouldn't grow up, but I do miss when it was the four + Penny.

• Love 4

Either I'm getting more cranky or the laugh track on this show is worsening...it takes me right out of a scene often.

FWIW, that's a studio audience. Not that there aren't tricks that can be played with volume to "sweeten" certain audience reactions. But honestly, for a #1 show, they probably don't need to bother. Studio audiences are generally big fans of the show, and they get pep talks and warm up jokes (that we don't see) as part of the package.

• Love 4

Because of his occupation on "Friends," I kept expecting Michael Rappaport to whip out a badge.

Except for Amy's revelation, which was so well handled, I thought this was an awful lot of filler -- if under 19 minutes can have a lot of filler.  And how can a group of people that age not know all about Tinder? 

The writers either make Stuart extra creepy, or an absolute sad sack.  Can't they cut the character a break by at least giving him a little optimism in his life?

One of his dates was totally going to result in sex had she not said no. If that's not a little optimism, I don't know what is.

• Love 5

And how can a group of people that age not know all about Tinder?

I've never heard of Tinder (but then I'm not the ages of the people on BBT) but I'd guess it's the same way a group of women that age aren't supposed to know anything about Star Trek or Star Wars.  I've seen others here rant about this so I know I'm not alone in my annoyance at this - sure maybe obsessed fandom is a guy thing (maybe) but Star Trek and especially Star Wars are pretty mainstream, you don't have to be a big fan to at least have heard of them and seen a few of the movies if nothing else!

It may have something to do with the fact that it's not a half hour show. Or a 20 minute show. But a TWELVE minute show. Geeze.  Let's put that into perspective shall we? 12 is closer to 10 than 15. So that's like 10 minutes of show, 20 minutes of commericals. I was watching the voice at the same time and I would get all the way through a battle round and the commercials would STILL be on!

Maybe you watched a bit more of The Voice than you realized, because acccording to CTV.CA where you can watch the episode online, it was 19 minutes and 1 second.  That does include the opening and closing credits though, I think.

• Love 2

Because only Stuart was single until Amy and Sheldon broke up. Why would Penny or Howard or even Raj be looking into dating apps? 

• Love 4

Because only Stuart was single until Amy and Sheldon broke up. Why would Penny or Howard or even Raj be looking into dating apps?

You don't need to "look into" dating apps to be generally aware of their existence. Tinder in particular got a lot of press, if not publicity from comedians/sketch comedy/late night shows making jokes about it. It's old hat and common knowledge to most at this point.

That said, I didn't get the impression the show was trying to sell us on "none of these people have ever heard of this real thing before". I thought it was more like the producers decided in the BBT universe Tinder doesn't exist, and the app used in this episode is a Tinder-like app unique to the BBT universe and the fake-TV-universe app were still considered relatively new and therefore that's why the characters seemed to find it so novel.

Either that, or despite their initial reactions sort of implying otherwise, it wasn't so much the app they found new and interesting, but rather they were just amused at the notion of playing with it for Amy because they thought it was funny and couldn't help themselves, and never would've had such opportunity before.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

I'm in my fifties and have no interest in online dating whatsoever, but even I know all about Tinder from interacting with younger people in my life and from references on TV shows.  It would be extremely unusual for a group in this age range to act like this app was a revelation regardless of their relationship status.

• Love 3

Thanks, Latverian Diplomat, for that info.  I wondered if it was a live audience.  Since it is...yes, I'm sure they fiddle with the volume and pump up the audience...maybe have the word LAUGH blinking at them at the right time ;)

Trust me, the show doesn't need to have a blinking laugh sign (and doesn't have one). Something about being there in person makes people laugh out loud with greater volume and frequency than they would at the same joke heard on TV in their living room.

Also they throw candy at the audience.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

Finally saw this episode, it was almost as good as the vintage BBT episodes.  I loved that Sheldon just happened to have a $1,000. in his pocket.  A nice hark back to the way he always seems to have a lot of money around.

• Love 1

I liked the guy's storyline.

It seems they still don't know what to do with the girls on this show. They just seem to sit around talking about one thing or another.

To be fair to Chuck Lorre, when my girlfriends and I get together that's pretty much what we do usually whilst eating and or drinking. 

• Love 2

In this episode they weren't just sitting around and talking, the conversation led to the viewing of the dating app, which had some pretty funny moments, especially involving Stuart.  It also involved three of the guys and, of course, led to the big reveal about Amy.  I thought it was a good way to use a lot of characters in one storyline.

• Love 3

I absolutely love Sheldon and Amy as characters but I´ve wanted them to break up for a long, long time. So I really hope they´ll never get back together, but will become good friends sometime after Amy finds the true love of her life. She is a romantic soul and deserves someone "normal", hopefully a scientist who´s a bit older, rich perhaps; someone who´ll kiss her and want´s to sleep with her. I don´t want Sheldon doing anything sexual, he´s perfect just as he was/is. They were an awesomely funny couple for a while but then Amy just became too sad and hopeless, being stuck with someone like Sheldon who couldn´t really give her anything she wanted, without ruining himself.

• Love 2

So I really hope they´ll never get back together, but will become good friends sometime after Amy finds the true love of her life.

Considering they already have their "Ross and Rachel" couple you'd think they could relax and let Amy and Sheldon go their separate way but somehow I don't see that happening.  I've been wrong before so don't bet on my predictions but I think the grand plan is to get Amy and Sheldon back together by the end of the series.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them be the first ones to add a baby to the show, which I admit would actually be interesting to see.

get Amy and Sheldon back together by the end of the series.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them be the first ones to add a baby to the show, which I admit would actually be interesting to see

Baby Shamy would be fun, sure.  

But I just can't get past them sitting on the couch and making fun of people's faces.  It's mean and stupid and who would've thought those two words could ever describe this show.  

All I know is that for me, this show is missing something.  Something big.

Exactly.  And they really did have it for a few seasons- fresh, clever, sweet, surprising, funny.  It's not the same show now.  A few joke lines about science can't save the mess it's become.  The Big Blah Theory.  Really sad to see this. 

• Love 1

I think I know where they ordered the pizza from in the ending, based on the shape of the box.  Clearly I've lived in LA too long.  And the best part is that it's in Van Nuys, so perhaps it's close to where the prof was keeping his Russian girlfriend.

Scott - the show is taped in Burbank. Why would they order pizza from a Van Nuys pizzeria? They serve the same pizza to the studio audience every taping. I never saw the box though.

The audience gets Little Caesars pizza. The pizza used in scenes never looked similar to me to what they feed the audience (if/when they feed the audience), and the prop pizza boxes usually look like generic any-local-pizza-shop-can-order-and-use-these-boxes pizza boxes to me.

Random thoughts:

I am not an Amy fan by any stretch of the imagination.  She seems to be kind of depressed and gloomy.  She chose to break up with Sheldon quite some time ago, I don't understand why she is coming across as a Debbie Downer.  I get that she is trying to at least interact with other people by going out for breakfast (coffee).  Clearly, her heart isn't into it.  That all being said, I though her little group of friends were being mean when they were going through all of the people she could possibly date.

The writers either make Stuart extra creepy, or an absolute sad sack.  Can't they cut the character a break by at least giving him a little optimism in his life?

The Sheldon/Leonard helium plot was okay.  I don't think it was anything special.  Maybe this series is just getting too tiring for me.  Perhaps it has more to do with so much of the show being taken up with commercial time,  and too many characters that really aren't given a chance to develop given the short amount of time actually devoted to the show.  All I know is that for me, this show is missing something.  Something big.

I've always thought Stuart's progression as a character was weird. When they first introduced him he was presented as a guy who had his act together. He owns a business, is friends with a celebrity (Wil Wheaton), scored a date with Penny by flirting successfully using his art skills and got "invited in for cofffee". The last few seasons he's either been presented as a loser or creepy. I think everything they've done with him has been off target. This episode was no different.

He owns a business, is friends with a celebrity (Wil Wheaton), scored a date with Penny by flirting successfully using his art skills and got "invited in for cofffee".

Stuart's business started failing and his art career went nowhere, killing his confidence. He's about on par with the Howard we first met, except that Howard at least had a couple of good career accomplishments to his credit.

• Love 1

One more pizza comment - Scott, I did see the pizza and it was in a plain brown cardboard box.  Now I am wondering if it is not from Warner Bros. commissary (which is delicious, by the way).

Sorry again for being so off-topic!