Type keyword(s) to search

Leon Brown: So Here's Me

Pallas
Message added by Scarlett45,

Leon is transgender and uses they/them pronouns. As defined in the GLAAD guidelines, they are a they, were a they, and will be a they unless they ever tell us something different.  Per those guidelines, referring to them as a woman or a girl or as she is not okay, regardless of any modifier placed before these words or the time period being discussed.  Referring to them by any name besides "Leon" or "Leo" is not appropriate, regardless of the time period being discussed. Intent matters and people may slip up. Let's strive to respect their identity.

Please review the guidelines of the site regarding the Hate Speech and Insensitive Language Policy, which includes guidelines from GLAAD for the LGBTQ+ community.

Also remember the Golden Rule of Primetimer is Be Civil.

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I wondered where Leo found a Moorish doorway to pose in front of in Denver.  The recent photos posted must have been taken while on the retreat.

Well, I'm out here now looking for a place to move. If I see the Moorish doorway in question I'll first warn them that the Entitlement Twins have arrived!  These poor people, they don't know what they're in for with these two.  😁  Then I'll let you, my peeps, know where its located.  🤪

Gosh, how I LOVE 💘  COLORADO!!!! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

Good for Leon. And I can only imagine Kody's head is exploding right now and I hope we get to see some of that on the show. (Not hoping for any violence or ill-will or attitude toward Leon, only relishing Kody's utter confusion and discomfort because this is yet another thing he has no control over.)  In truth, I don't know what, IF ANY, kind of relationship he even really has these days with any of his non-Robyn's kids. 

• Like 2
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

So Leon and Audrey are in Portugal at a meditation center?? And Audrey is on Instagram asking for donations for coffee and restaurant dinners?  

I hate that crap.  Entitled and then some, ugh!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10

I guess that I haven't kept up with these two. I thought that Leon formerly known as Mariah and Audrey were both working at Lizzie's Heritage Inn. So what's going on there?

Did they leave those jobs to move to Denver with no jobs or living quarters in sight?  But oh lets take a little trip to Portugal before we find employment and an apartment. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I guess that I haven't kept up with these two. I thought that Leon formerly known as Mariah and Audrey were both working at Lizzie's Heritage Inn. So what's going on there?

Did they leave those jobs to move to Denver with no jobs or living quarters in sight?  But oh lets take a little trip to Portugal before we find employment and an apartment. 

I think they were only at Lizzie's for a few weeks until Meri's friend Jenn stepped in to manage the place.  After that, they moved to Salt Lake City, where Leon was employed as a program director at (I think) a senior's home.  Audrey is a freelance graphic designer, so she can work remotely from anywhere I guess.  No idea if Leon has secured employment in Denver, but am sure they have scoped out the best coffee shops in the city.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Don't name changes have to be done through a court? Has there been time for this to have even happened? If not, the new name proclamation is meaningless.

Someone can change their name/preferred name without legal means, or while the legal process is still ongoing. 

For example, I don't go by my given name, and I probably will legally change my name in the future but not to what most people call me. But no one has ever said they won't call me by my chosen nickname because it's not my legal name. 

I would assume any legal changes are separate from Leo(n)'s request for people to use their chosen name. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I supposed it's possible but.....no way I believe that.  These are the Queens of the Con.  Reference the simultaneous sudden onset of mental illness (which coincidentally began the exact day they were flying home for Christmas) necessitating Emotional Support Dogs to fly with them for free thus avoiding bording kennel fees.

Dollars to donuts, mommy is funding their little sojourn to some exotic place to "meditate".  Because you can don't that anywhere in the US.

Grifters gotta grift.

I agree with you, otherwise why would she put her venmo info there? It really irks me when D list reality people do this kind of crap. I saw on another thread about the 1000 lb best friends asking for stuff like playstations and other non-necessity items. Meri must still be funding Leo in some manner. I will always think they are grifters & entitled assholes ever since the plane incident and them being so nasty on SM. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 10
  • Love 9
(edited)

So this definitely was an interesting week with Mariah saying goodbye to her old self and finally letting Leon/Leo out. Of the entire post, two things really triggered me:

First, the rather bitchy setting of boundaries  I totally get their need to be respected and addressed as their new me, but the tone rubbed me the wrong way. It feels like a harsh demand with no room for errors. Audrey was much more kind in "asking to be respected and addressed correctly" and I suspect Audrey is also more lenient if someone slips up. This bossy, demanding, bitchy tone is very typical for the old Mariah.  Let's hope Leon learns to be a bit more empathic, less rude and unforgiving.

Second, the statement that says:  

The first time that I knew I wasn't a girl, I was pretty young." This implies that the young girl Mariah at an early age realised she wasn't a girl. I very much doubt that the rigid religious teaching and brainwashing of the Brown kids left any room for other concepts than man-woman relationships and sister wives. I doubt any of them, back then in Utah knew about the existence of trans or non-binary people. It just didn't occur to them because they were never taught nor exposed to the real world and very sheltered and controlled by the church. (check the new documentary on the FLDS to see how scarily naive and limited in knowledge those women are because of their upbringing)  I'm 100% convinced that little Mariah knew that something was different about her, but I highly doubt that she was aware of Leon patiently waiting to come out. 

The move to Vegas probably triggered a lot which let to the coming out as gay. Eventually, it let to the discovery of Leon hiding inside and an understanding of what was really going on. I'm sure Audrey was instrumental in luring them finally out. So, to summarise,  I don't believe Mariah always knew about actually being Leon, but rather this was a very slow process of learning about one's true self and discovering who you want to be.

* In order to avoid confusion and because in the past there really was a little girl called Mariah, I used the old name and pronouns in part of my post which I hope is ok. It's not my intention to offend anyone in any way.

Edited by LilyD
removed accidentally inserted quote box
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I agree with you, otherwise why would she put her venmo info there? It really irks me when D list reality people do this kind of crap. I saw on another thread about the 1000 lb best friends asking for stuff like playstations and other non-necessity items. Meri must still be funding Leo in some manner. I will always think they are grifters & entitled assholes ever since the plane incident and them being so nasty on SM. 

Maybe but I still think Audrey was playing off the meme fever that was spreading around. Its certainly possible that they hoped the post would result in a few dollars for coffee I guess. Here is the NYT article and I saw lots of LGBTQ+ posting similar anti-capitalist "support your local..." posts elsewhere. So in context - seems like a minor grift at best.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/03/style/pride-month-memes.html

Leon is interesting. You have to wonder (and we will never know) how much of their attitude over the years is a result of feeling so alienated and somewhat confused growing up. I hope they finally find whatever they are looking for and I hope they work toward change in the world (more useful than just ranting about things).

• Love 7
(edited)
14 hours ago, LilyD said:

First, the rather bitchy setting of boundaries

* In order to avoid confusion and because in the past there really was a little girl called Mariah, I used the old name and pronouns in part of my post which I hope is ok. It's not my intention to offend anyone in any way.

Agree LilyD. You get more  flies with honey than vinegar. Also, I had typed a comment up thread and had to go back and check my pronouns. Only got one wrong and fixed it. LGBTQ allies like me are going to make mistakes with things, but not intentionally. Instead of being so pissy Mariah, let us have a chance to learn. 

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 2
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Maybe but I still think Audrey was playing off the meme fever that was spreading around. Its certainly possible that they hoped the post would result in a few dollars for coffee I guess. Here is the NYT article and I saw lots of LGBTQ+ posting similar anti-capitalist "support your local..." posts elsewhere. So in context - seems like a minor grift at best.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/03/style/pride-month-memes.html

Leon is interesting. You have to wonder (and we will never know) how much of their attitude over the years is a result of feeling so alienated and somewhat confused growing up. I hope they finally find whatever they are looking for and I hope they work toward change in the world (more useful than just ranting about things).

We’ll see won’t we. Leon has always been about Leon — bringing attention to and getting angry about things but rarely taking action to actually HELP.

Angry people like that certainly can change, but it requires the person to look within themselves and identify the source of the anger. They often don’t think it’s “them” or that they even come across that way — they feel their anger is 100% justified (and it may well be, but they don’t do anything but complain). 

• Love 10
20 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Don't name changes have to be done through a court? Has there been time for this to have even happened? If not, the new name proclamation is meaningless.

No.  Legal name changes have to be done through a court, but you can still call yourself anything you want. Some people don’t get legal name changes immediately. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2

Leon made the Primetimer home page. :)

And I agree about Leo's tone with regards to how people need to address them from now on - given the source it's not surprising, but I can see a future raging social media post on the horizon when someone inadvertently slips up.  In this post alone, I had to backspace while typing because I am learning, I want to keep learning, I want to call everyone by their correct name, but I will mess up.  Based on past posts, I don't think there's any space for that in Leo's world.

• Like 1
  • Applause 8
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Gotta love people like Leon who demand that others bend over backward to be correct at all times but cut them no slack and go ballistic when there is an innocent slip up. 

I have a name that can be either male or female - if someone makes a mistake it's hardly a reason to block them from all SM accounts and post outraged responses.

The world doesn't owe anybody anything.  Nobody is owed respect, it's something you earn by your words and actions.  Act like a brat, get treated like one.

I have a lot of issues with Leon's behavior over the years but this isn't one of them. Respect is earned, absolutely, BUT you don't need to respect or even like someone to use their correct pronouns and name. Just like how articles can criticize the hell out of Ezra Miller but still reflect their proper pronouns. 

My guess is that Leon's post is not about someone making an innocent mistake as they're adjusting. It's about someone not listening and repeatedly making that mistake. Here's an easy example: my best friend who I've known for 20+ years still has trouble with my name and pronouns, and I will never get upset with her about that because she's trying her best. On the other hand, if someone I just met fucks up my pronouns and name AFTER being corrected at least once, I'm going to cut them significantly less slack because they don't have the excuse of having known me for a long time. 

No one is saying it's easy or simple to adjust to new names and pronouns, but there's also a world of difference between "I'm going to try and if I screw up, I'll do my best to correct it" and "You know I'm going to call you what I always did and you can't get mad because this takes time." When someone chooses to go by different name and pronouns, it's not for shits and giggles, it's because it feels better on a visceral level. Again, I can't speak for Leon, but I can say that when people using the wrong pronouns even innocently with me, it fucking hurts, because admitting those felt wrong is still an open wound for me. But I also recognize people make innocent mistakes. It's when it feels like those mistakes are less innocent and more "well I don't want to/don't think you deserve to have me use your correct pronouns" that it cuts a fuck of a lot deeper. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 6
  • Love 11
49 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Gotta love people like Leon who demand that others bend over backward to be correct at all times but cut them no slack and go ballistic when there is an innocent slip up. 

I have a name that can be either male or female - if someone makes a mistake it's hardly a reason to block them from all SM accounts and post outraged responses.

The world doesn't owe anybody anything.  Nobody is owed respect, it's something you earn by your words and actions.  Act like a brat, get treated like one.

I too have a mans name and dress masculine… people think I’m a man all the time. I correct them constantly: I’m a she/female. 
I can wear all pink and still get called sir 

Apparently I am a manly girl?!

or I give off masculine energy. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

Leon also posted, quite a while ago stating anyone, including family who voted a certain way, were  not welcome in their life.

Once upon a time Audrey posted something I can’t recall now. I commented that life is a two way street, or something like that. I got blocked. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Leon also posted, quite a while ago stating anyone, including family who voted a certain way, were  not welcome in their life.

Once upon a time Audrey posted something I can’t recall now. I commented that life is a two way street, or something like that. I got blocked. 

Life is a two way street but there's also the tolerance paradox. You don't have to be tolerant of intolerance, and everyone has their own measure of what they can take. And it's a reasonable boundary to say that someone voting directly against the safety of a family member is not welcome...I have the same boundary, though thankfully I've never had to enforce it. 

Again, I can't stand the grifting, and I hate social media with a passion, but asking for someone to use the correct pronouns and not vote to strip their rights away are both fairly reasonable IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15

I assumed the comment about boundaries was because they had family members who told them that it wasn't going to happen, not because they'd cut someone off for one slip up.  Their dad or Robyn or someone else was like "trans isn't a thing" or refuses to acknowledge that they're nonbinary, and they're making it clear that this isn't something/someone they're willing to be around.

• Useful 7
  • Love 5

Leo is a lot like their mother, in that criticism is taken poorly and both of them can be terse and easily offended.  They're hardly unique in that way, though.

I get mail addressed to Mr., as my name can be either/or.  No big dill.  I probably would feel differently in Leo's situation, and I too would be not OK with someone that kept referring to me in a way that seemed to negate my wish to be called by my chosen name and pronouns.  I like to think I'd be understanding of an occasional slip-up.  I hope that people that know them will try to remember their wishes, and accept them as fellow humans with feelings.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, questionfear said:

My guess is that Leon's post is not about someone making an innocent mistake as they're adjusting. It's about someone not listening and repeatedly making that mistake.

Of course it is!  That much is obvious. However, Leon inherited a pretty annoying genetic trait from both parents: The ability to communicate in a very harsh, blunt, straightforward and demanding manner without any regard for other people's feelings or how a message comes across. 

And yes, the bitchy passage about respecting pronouns and names did rub me the wrong way because of this. The harsh and demanding tone perfectly matches the entitlement and unpleasantness we got to know so well over the years. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 16
9 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

Wow! I'm surprised by this news. But what sticks out most to me is...why the name Leon?! IMO it's an old man name.  Mariah is a very pretty name. Now Leon? 😄

Perhaps from their middle name, Lian ?

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

I'm a lazy typist, so for me, Leo is easier because it's one less letter.  I like the name better, too.  When I do crosswords, Leo is an answer to a question about a pope, sometimes.  

I wanted to add something, but it would seem too political, so I won't.  Maybe Leo is into astrology, since that's their sign.  I have old astrology books from my teens and twenties that are pretty accurate, but I don't live my life by my horoscope.  🙃

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 6/24/2022 at 2:31 PM, Natalie68 said:

I had a total get off my lawn thought while showering this morning.  Audrey's begging for coffee money or whatever made me almost irrationally angry.  When I was her age I would have NEVER done such a thing. 

I know on twitter there are apps where you can "tip" people you follow/ buy them coffee, etc. Maybe they were riffing off that. I'm not against people with big followings trying to make a few random bucks from people who slavishly follow their content. Leon's life has been media/internet fodder since childhood. Not going to begrudge trying to monetize it - just the manner in which it was done. 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:53 AM, TurtlePower said:

I never understood Leo’s declaration of “living on stolen land”.  

I know a lot of educational institutions in the past year have begun publicly acknowledging the original inhabitants of the land they now occupy. An explanation of land acknowledgment by University of CT can be found here:

https://nacp.uconn.edu/land-acknowledgement/#:~:text=What is a Land Acknowledgement,peoples and their traditional territories.

Their specific example is:

"We would like to begin by acknowledging that the land on which we gather is the territory of the Mohegan, Mashantucket Pequot, Eastern Pequot, Schaghticoke, Golden Hill Paugussett,  Nipmuc, and Lenape Peoples, who have stewarded this land throughout the generations.  We thank them for their strength and resilience in protecting this land, and aspire to uphold our responsibilities according to their example."

I've seen it other places as well. A lot of it is performative, but if it creates a reminder and connection between the people occupying the land now and the history of just how they happened to come in possession of it, it's for the good.  How seriously Leon takes it, who knows?

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

To me there's a huge difference between intentional disrespect and unintentional carelessness. But we all have our own line and our own perception which we need to honor. We can honor it in a plethora of ways, but I for one, wouldn't go the preemptive asshole route.

Leon could have said something more like, please be mindful that addressing me with they/them, Leo/Leon is very important to me, my identity and my mental health. Thank you all in advance for respecting this and supporting me.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 18

How old is Leo? Mid-twenties?  I think it's possible that they've developed this "me against every one else" mentality for a number of reasons. One, being trans and not really understanding those feelings growing up. Two, being raised in a large family yet somehow still feeling isolated since they were the only child of Meri (the hated one). Three, being raised by Meri  and Kody who never matured themselves. And lastly, being a member of a historically marginalized and outright ridiculed group.

I think it's impossible to understand what that feels like. Sure many of us might innocently mess up pronouns but that action in and of itself demonstrates our privilege. We honestly don't have to care much if we mess up. It's a simple whoops. And it's that distinction that matters  -  because that whoops sends a message - even if innocent. It demonstrates the distinction. There is a whole big wide dominant group of people that don't have to care - they don't even have to think about it. That is not even counting those who vehemently question trans rights. 

So yeah the world sometimes seems stacked against you - from that perspective. I get where Leo's declaration comes from. I am more than happy to hear that perspective and honor their right to speak directly and firmly. I don't think its my place to ask them to speak a little more quietly or nicely about the issue. Isn't that what people have done for centuries with race relations? Shhh. Quiet down. Be nice. What's the big deal?

Probably it would be more effective to their target audience if they were nicer about it. But that is just reinforcing the constructed power structure as it is. So its entirely up to them regarding how to ask. Their call. Their right.

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
(edited)
8 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Leon also said “so here’s me, definitely not having almost any of my shit figured out, to let you know that I am trans”.  Until they get their 'shit' together, Leon will probably slip up occasionally.

Leo turns 27 on July 29th

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Leon also said “so here’s me, definitely not having almost any of my shit figured out, to let you know that I am trans”. 

The world is working hard to make trans people feel inclusive and help them wherever we can. They also deserve the best care there is. But I see a  huge problem too: we want to get it right so badly that sometimes, we want things too much, too soon and ignore obvious red flags or other possibilities.
Concerns are currently voiced about people with psychological issues, confusion about sexuality and childhood traumas that now believe that being trans is the (simple) answer to all their problems. While this could be the case, we mustn’t ignore other signs and beingtrans isn’t a simple answer or solution!
You could wonder for example, if a strong dislike for one’s body is caused by a (sexual) trauma or because one is trans. Both are known to reject their body. A low self-esteem doesn’t automatically disappear with a new identity nor will bad memories disappear. It just doesn’t work that way.
Being trans is serious and complicated. If you feel you could be trans, I highly encourage you to explore the possibility. But please do so with an open mind and not exclusively focus on “
trans-related” care. Mental issues and traumas deserve attention and need to be dealt with if the transition is to become a success.

Back to Leon then: In the UK,  former trans Ritchie Herron made headlines the past few weeks. Like Leon he had a troubled youth, psychological issues and struggled with their self-esteem and coming out as gay. Ritchy thought going down the trans-path was the answer. Big mistake with devastating medical consequences! Leon obviously hasn’t had surgery or hormone treatment (yet) but for the rest, their story shares a lot of similarities. Is identifying as trans in this case the answer? For Leon, I hope so, but I have some concerns. All I see now, is a person who for years has tried to figure out who they are and what they want, coming from a family where they never completely fit in, and uprooted and messed up your life more than once. Leon hasn’t been particularly successful in addressing these things, though they did come out as gay, which was a huge step. I highly encourage the arrival of Leon, but I really really hope that “their shit” isn’t ignored if they truly want to be happy and at peace in the future.

• Like 9
  • Love 8

I love that we are living in a time where representation and language is out there, which makes it easier for some folks to figure things out and easier for some folks to say (and more importantly, live) out loud what they already knew. 

I also think @LilyD brings up a valid point. There's a small, very small, percent who are still figuring things out and they eventually find out they're exploring the wrong territory, and unfortunately there is a small percent of 'trenders'. I'm not saying Leon falls in either of these categories, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I had pause for a moment when I read Leon's post. The Mariah I 'watched' grow up could definitely fit in those two categories, but it doesn't mean they do.

But it really doesn't matter what I think and I truly hope Leon figures their shit out and lives a happy life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

Duh. I finally get the new thread name. Leon, if following proper pronouns they asked for, should have said "here's us" in their post-rant. Scarlett45, you are such the prankster.

Edited by BAForever
14 hours ago, kassa said:

I know a lot of educational institutions in the past year have begun publicly acknowledging the original inhabitants of the land they now occupy. An explanation of land acknowledgment by University of CT can be found here:

https://nacp.uconn.edu/land-acknowledgement/#:~:text=What is a Land Acknowledgement,peoples and their traditional territories.

Their specific example is:

I've seen it other places as well. A lot of it is performative, but if it creates a reminder and connection between the people occupying the land now and the history of just how they happened to come in possession of it, it's for the good.  How seriously Leon takes it, who knows?

I’m aware of the acknowledgment, we’re doing it also in our agency. But with Leon, I don’t buy it as being genuine remorse or concern. They’re just — angry. Like with the bees — “save the bees”, but don’t volunteer with a local bee rescue group.

Leon shouts it out and everyone else gets to do the work. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Cherry Cola said:

Wow! I'm surprised by this news. But what sticks out most to me is...why the name Leon?! IMO it's an old man name.  Mariah is a very pretty name. Now Leon? 😄

This was exactly my thought! There are a plethora of names to choose from and you choose “Leon.”

• Love 8
On 7/1/2022 at 6:15 AM, BAForever said:

Duh. I finally get the new thread name. Leon, if following proper pronouns they asked for, should have said "here's us" in their post-rant. Scarlett45, you are such the prankster.

No prank intended. The first-person pronoun for people with they/them third-person pronouns is usually singular and Leon used first-person singular throughout their post.

They/them pronouns are used in the third person because they are gender-neutral, not because they are plural. The first- and second-person pronouns -- "I" and "you" -- are already gender-neutral.

• Useful 7
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, Pallas said:

No prank intended. The first-person pronoun for people with they/them third-person pronouns is usually singular. Leon consistently used first-person singular throughout their post.

I've got lots to learn, but will try. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Pallas said:

No prank intended. The first-person pronoun for people with they/them third-person pronouns is usually singular. Leon consistently used first-person singular throughout their post.

They/them pronouns are used in the third person because they are gender-neutral, not because they are plural. The first- and second-person pronouns -- "I" and "you" -- are already gender-neutral.

Now I’m confused is @Scarlett45 now known as @Pallas ?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I wonder if Leon's former middle name (Lian) was pronounced the same way.

Has Leo updated Leo's IG page to include the land acknowledgement for where they live now in Denver?  Or is it all forgotten, like the bees?

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Please take time to review the Inclusion Policy. Invalidating someone’s gender identity is not civil, and will not be tolerated on the site. Leon (previously known as Mariah) has made their new name and pronouns public (they/them), and as such, those are the pronouns that should be used when referring to Leon. We understand there may be unintentional slip-ups, but there is a difference between making a mistake, and being rude.

The number one rule here is Be Civil. If you feel someone has crossed the line, do not engage, please report or PM the mods: @SCARLETT45 and @PALLAS

• Love 7