Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I thought they did go in order, with the exception of New York.  Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention!

I think they showed a glimpse of one of the brides out of order but she was just standing around when they put her state under her name. I would bet that when Randy called the brides to come down the stairs that they were in alphabetical order.

I did enjoy that they showed a lot of brides getting dresses.  There was minimal time for drama. I don't think the show needs to go back to a half an hour.  If they did that, they'd just limit the show to one bride.

They just need to go back to doing 3 or 4 brides plus one alteration story, like the UK version, instead of this one or two brides plus an alteration.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Yeah, the gum chewing was unfortunate.  That's one of my pet peeves.  I hate seeing someone interviewed on TV who is standing there smacking their gum.  Also, there are some events in which one shouldn't be chewing gum, and this was one of them.  

It also appeared that as each couple embraced at the bottom of the stairs, they were standing on a manhole cover.  Couldn't they have had a better spot and maybe a beautiful arched arbor decorated with flowers for them to get their picture taken under?  I'm just being nitpicky though.  I thought that Randy and Haley & the producers did a great job overall.  

I would imagine it was a marked spot indicating where people were supposed to stand. There was a similar marked floor spot where Randy was supposed to stand.

All television productions have markings so the cameras know where to shoot.

• Love 1

I thought they did go in order, with the exception of New York.  Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention!

They had Colorado before California I noticed.  But with the editing, who knows if that's actually the way it happened.

I grew up in Vermont, so I tend to look especially for that state in all of these "All 50 states" things, but I didn't see her last night.

Isn't that the groom who had to go to the hospital?  I'm surprised more people didn't have to be medically treated.

It looked like the steps had a landing about halfway down.  Why not have the grooms/partners meet them there?  Walking down all of those stairs in a long, heavy dress would freak me out.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, amarante said:

I would imagine it was a marked spot indicating where people were supposed to stand. There was a similar marked floor spot where Randy was supposed to stand.

Upon rewatch (now I'm curious!), it's either a big silver medallion of some sort embedded on the white concrete surrounded by the brick, or it's a manhole cover.  It looks the same.   Either way, I suppose that was the best place to have the couples meet.   Let's start our marriage with a kiss on top of the sewer manhole!  🙂   Just kidding.  It might've been some commemorative medallion.  

All of the brides looked so beautiful with their long flowing dresses coming down the dirty stairs.  Really set the white off!  Sorry, I'm feeling snarky now. Seriously, they were beautiful.  It probably would've been too difficult and dangerous to have had a red carpet lining the stairs.  I'm not sure how they would've safely pulled that off.   

• Love 1

Count me as one who found the whole thing somewhat uncomfortable.  It reminded me of the "Moonie" mass weddings of decades ago.  

To be clear, I have no problem if the couples wanted to do it and managed to get a free dress and trip to NY and whatever out of it.  I just didn't enjoy it.  Here's what I didn't like . . . 

Having to select a dress in a few hours.  Maybe it's b/c I spent a lot of time selecting mine (oh so long ago), but it all seemed rushed.  

The mass hair and makeup event.  Brides know that it pays to do a preview of your hair and makeup with stylist who'll do it on your wedding day.  There just wasn't time.  I did think most of the brides looked okay but that whole part seemed awkward.

Lack of family involvement.  Yeah, the families held up signs, etc. but, for me, the best part of a wedding is having your relatives and close friends participate -- not just observe like gawkers and holding signs as if they were at a ballgame.

The "reception."  I kind of skimmed through it, but couldn't they have had real food?  And, while it's a personal opinion, I thought the cake was ugly.  Again, YMMV.

The whole thing seemed rather creepy.  I hope most of the couples could afford to have a "real" wedding where they wanted and the way they wanted it with their friends and relatives. With a free dress.  Assuming that's the case, I can erase the mass wedding as a bad memory. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, dogdays2 said:

Having to select a dress in a few hours.

Yeah, that was kind of unfair to be rushed through like that.  I guess the store/show didn't want to provide them with a hotel room for very long, assuming everything was paid for.  I was surprised that it all came off as well as it did given the time constraints.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, camom said:

They had Colorado before California I noticed.  But with the editing, who knows if that's actually the way it happened.

Isn't that the groom who had to go to the hospital?  I'm surprised more people didn't have to be medically treated.

It looked like the steps had a landing about halfway down.  Why not have the grooms/partners meet them there?  Walking down all of those stairs in a long, heavy dress would freak me out.

Delaware’s groom had to be hospitalized.

• Love 2

Another thing that bothered me about the wedding: The female commentator said the exact same thing, word-for-word (though I couldn’t tell you exactly what now), about the 2 couples who’d been together since they were high school sweethearts. She could’ve tried to think of something else to say about 1 couple so when they both watch this back—& you know they will—they won’t feel weird, or whatever, she used a “cookie cutter” comment to describe both couples. If it were me & my spouse, & we got married with another couple who’d been together as long as us, I think I’d feel awkward if a commentator or officiant, or something, described my spouse & I, & the other couple, in the exact same way during the ceremony.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I thought it was so sweet that Katie, the bride from Georgia, helped so many of the other brides with their makeup.  I think she should be voted Miss Congeniality!

Now all I can think of is Julia Sugarbaker saying that Suzanne won every segment of the competition at Miss Georgia World except congeniality because that was not what the women in her family aspired to 😉  (Julia phrased it much better). But she was a sweetheart and so positive. Florida and Georgia probably weren't phased by the heat!

I couldn't get over Hayley on dress picking day in dark underwear in those white pants that puddled around her feet so I was scared she was going to trip every second - she can't hem her own pants?

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ML89 said:

Now all I can think of is Julia Sugarbaker saying that Suzanne won every segment of the competition at Miss Georgia World except congeniality because that was not what the women in her family aspired to 😉  (Julia phrased it much better). But she was a sweetheart and so positive. Florida and Georgia probably weren't phased by the heat!

I couldn't get over Hayley on dress picking day in dark underwear in those white pants that puddled around her feet so I was scared she was going to trip every second - she can't hem her own pants?

Considering Hayley designs such beautiful gowns, her personal styling leaves a lot to be desired!

• Love 6
20 hours ago, kirklandia said:

So they gave the New York bride the pimp spot, and we got an extended look at her groom chewing gum with his mouth open as he watched her walk down the stairs to him.  Ugh.

NY bride's extended stop to perform a "royal wave" midway down the stairs was cringe-worthy. She really thought she was hot stuff. I had to laugh when I noticed her groom with his gum chewing open mouth. 

With all the shrieking I had to lower the volume on my TV. The over-the-top drama wasn't unexpected and I was so proud of my Georgia homegirl coming to the rescue with her makeup skill. We Southern girls are like that, y'all 🥰

• Love 6
On 3/14/2020 at 9:57 PM, answerphone said:

I can't imagine walking down those stairs, long dress, high heels, no railing, and smiling!

Me neither.  I didn't see many high heels which made sense.  But I would have bought a pair of pretty white shoes - some of them were just wearing old brown or black sandals or loafers 😡

NY bride had wanted that dress strapless when she tried it on and picked it.  I thought it looked better without those sleeves.

I loved sweet little Steph on the British show - maybe when she comes back for alterations they will show her again and we can see her wedding.

• Love 2

The brides all got stuck with their state flower for a bouquet didn't they?

A blood test used to be required but not anymore. Which is good because when my sister got hers many years ago, they stabbed her a bunch of times and collapsed her veins. Then they called off the wedding and a few months later eloped. I wonder if they brought them all by the courthouse before they got to Kleinfeld's because they needed enough time for the licenses, per the City Clerk:

You can begin the application process to receive a Marriage License online via "City Clerk Online". This will speed up the process which then must be completed in person at the Office of the City Clerk.

Regardless of whether you started the application process online, or will be filling out a paper form for a Marriage License, you and your prospective spouse must complete the process by appearing at the Office of the City Clerk in person, together and at the same time.

Proxy marriage is not permitted in New York, so no other party may apply on behalf of either spouse.

You will receive the application from the information desk and you must complete the application in our office.

Your Marriage License will be processed while you wait.

You should carefully read your Marriage License to make sure there are no mistakes.

You will take the Marriage License with you when you leave our office.

You must wait a full 24 hours before your Marriage Ceremony can be performed unless you obtain a Judicial Waiver.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2020 at 4:14 PM, kirklandia said:

So they gave the New York bride the pimp spot, and we got an extended look at her groom chewing gum with his mouth open as he watched her walk down the stairs to him.  Ugh.

That was gross!  But her hair and makeup were gorgeous!

I also noticed all the casual shoes/flats/sneakers.  I would have needed those and a hand rail!

The flowers were all so beautiful and unique.  I didn't like that cake either, but I am predisposed to dislike anything from the Cake Boss!  Team Duff, all the way!  (Oops! Wrong group!)  

Edited by Marisagf
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Marisagf said:

I didn't like that cake either, but I am predisposed to dislike anything from the Cake Boss!  Team Duff, all the way!  (Oops! Wrong group!)  

Me too. Especially since Cake Boss was a blatant ripoff of Ace of Cakes. 

But I imagine it tasted good. And I thought it was interesting that the slice we saw was red, white, and blue.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Marisagf said:

The flowers were all so beautiful and unique.  I didn't like that cake either, but I am predisposed to dislike anything from the Cake Boss! 

I thought the cake was pretty!  Hopefully it tasted good.  I know a lady who is a pastry chef and she trained in NYC.  She said that she tried something from his bakery and it was dry.   Maybe she got some day-old cake because most people you see eating his cake say it's delicious!

I was just glad that it wasn't made entirely of fondant.  I'm really not a fan of those cakes that are mostly rice krispy treats covered with oodles of fondant.  They're getting way too elaborate with decorating and half the time there's really no cake in there to be found!!  Just give me a beautiful white/yellow/chocolate cake with some yummy buttercream frosting and some pretty flowers and I'm perfectly content!  I don't need a cake in the shape of the Statue of Liberty or any other inanimate object! As usual, YMMV.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I had to laugh when I noticed her groom with his gum chewing open mouth. 

I couldn't decide whether to laugh or gag....I'm so anti-gum anyway (I'm a high school library services person)....

• Love 4
On 3/15/2020 at 3:43 PM, ChitChat said:

I just watched the ceremony part again, I guess you could say “On Demand,” on YouTube TV on my phone. They may have filmed the brides coming down the stairs (which did have a concrete railing, but the steps next to it weren’t as clean as the part of the stairs they walked down was... & I know it probably wasn’t that clean either, but it at least looked cleaner), but when they showed them in their walk to meet their groom, at least the A’s, the C’s & the O’s were out of order that I noticed. Like, Alabama went, then they skipped to Arizona & Arkansas, then went back to Alaska.

I wonder if they closed Kleinfeld for the taping. I recognized the male owner, Ronnie, in the crowd & I think I saw 1 of the Consultants, Lisa, in the crowd, in a blue & white print top or dress. Or maybe they didn’t close it & Ronnie & Lisa just managed to take the time off.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

I couldn't decide whether to laugh or gag....I'm so anti-gum anyway (I'm a high school library services person)....

I noticed the gum-chewing.  But I was too busy thinking how HOTTTTTTTTT he was to care that much. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Like, Alabama went, then they skipped to Arizona & Arkansas, then went back to Alaska.

Thanks for clearing that up!  I'll go with the theory that somebody can't alphabetize then!  Not surprising. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

(I'm a high school library services person)....

I'm a recovering high school librarian.  Maybe that's why it bugged me so much.  And don't get me started on the alphabetizing!

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 5

I'm watching the first new episode of Atlanta and all I can think about is how great Lori looks, I don't know if shes had something else done or if its just her hair but she looks at least 20 years younger

image.png.0103004221b9dd3156c708390c046f58.png

Capture2.JPG.ee9d1a74fe037bec8bc4d054ca423aa4.JPG

Loved the dress that Jessa Sewald's sister in law chose although personally I would have lined the sheer panels at the waist. Didn't love that we only got one bride though and a load of bridesmaid nonsense, I want wedding dresses not bridesmaids dresses

• Love 2
On 3/20/2020 at 10:15 AM, maggiegil said:

Loved the dress that Jessa Sewald's sister in law chose although personally I would have lined the sheer panels at the waist. Didn't love that we only got one bride though and a load of bridesmaid nonsense, I want wedding dresses not bridesmaids dresses

I agree.  I'm surprised none of them even suggested lining the sheer panel just to see what it would look like.  I wasn't too crazy about the design of that dress anyway.  It was rather plain.  YMMV.   Monty & Lori are right. The bridesmaids are the worst!!

• Love 1

I put this reply on SYTTD-Atlanta thread but thought I would put it here as well. 

Lori and Monty both look fantastic!!!!!    I like this version so much better than the NY one.   I like the bridesmaids side of the show as well.     

• Love 2

My only wish is that they'd quit saying "jack her up!"  In my neck of the woods, being "jacked" up is the same as saying something is effed up, so I cringe every time Monty says it!  There's got to be a better way of saying it!  We're going to glam you up.  We're going to style you up.  Or, something as simple as, we're going to go get a veil and finish the look!

• Love 2

I was happy that the bride stood up for herself against sanctimonious Jessa and the future MIL.  Her own mother was very encouraging over the FaceTime call, and I liked that the dress was simple but had some cute design features.  It looked so nice on her.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2020 at 1:52 PM, GrannySmith said:

Looks like a facelift. Lori looks good. 

Whatever she did, she looks really good.  The longer hair is a much more softer feature.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

I was happy that the bride stood up for herself against sanctimonious Jessa and the future MIL.

I didn't take their comments as sanctimonious.  The bride was well aware that she's marrying into a conservative family and that some of them would prefer a dress that wasn't too revealing.  We've heard that a million times on this show from other entourages!  It was obvious from the beginning that she really didn't care what they thought, so in the end, Jessa was very kind about it and said "Yay" and nothing more.  It's not as if she made a scene!  

• Love 2

A few weeks behind and the bride with the "wrong" colour dress. She was obnoxious in her first appearance and even more obnoxious this time. Her dress was hideous, but also why would you show up for your fitting, on TV, with such greasy hair?

• Love 2
On 3/16/2020 at 6:34 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

[Y]ou and your prospective spouse must complete the process by appearing at the Office of the City Clerk in person, together and at the same time.

I'm really trying to figure out how a couple can appear at the Office of the City Clerk in person, together and at different times, or separately and at the same time.

Anyone? 😉

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • LOL 1
On 3/22/2020 at 8:27 PM, ChitChat said:

I didn't take their comments as sanctimonious.  The bride was well aware that she's marrying into a conservative family and that some of them would prefer a dress that wasn't too revealing.  We've heard that a million times on this show from other entourages!  It was obvious from the beginning that she really didn't care what they thought, so in the end, Jessa was very kind about it and said "Yay" and nothing more.  It's not as if she made a scene!  

Regarding the bolded: By “the bride”, do you mean Jessica Seewald? If so, she’s already a member of a conservative family; but yeah, if she had her future mother-in-law with her (I forget), she apparently is marrying into another conservative family. Her brother Ben married Jessa Duggar. I wonder if they’ve ever gotten confused between Jessica & Jessa? She seems somewhat less conservative than her relatives & the others she brought with her. Maybe she’s the “black sheep Seewald”. I sort of can’t believe the family would make a big fuss about those 2 sheer bands around her middle, in a “safe” area, alternating with cloth bands. I wish, when the dress was finally agreed upon, she’d have said she called her mom & her mom was fine with it, which should’ve squelched any further discussion on it—although that might’ve made it sound like she needed permission to get that dress... which she didn’t, if she’s old enough to get married in Arkansas or wherever.

It’s funny... I’ve been waiting for a Duggar to show up at Kleinfeld. I don’t know why I didn’t consider they’d go to Lori’s shop since it’s probably closer to them.

Does anybody know where that SYTTD Northern Edition that was on over the weekend comes from? I searched, but really couldn’t find much info.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
12 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

It’s funny... I’ve been waiting for a Duggar to show up at Kleinfeld.

Didn't the Duggar brood mare shop there for some kind of second wedding outfit a long time ago?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Didn't the Duggar brood mare shop there for some kind of second wedding outfit a long time ago?

I think they went there when Boob and Meechele did a vow renewal.

23 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: By “the bride”, do you mean Jessica Seewald? If so, she’s already a member of a conservative family; but yeah, if she had her future mother-in-law with her (I forget), she apparently is marrying into another conservative family.

Yes, I was referring to Jessica.  They all talked about what type of dress they'd like to see her in when they first came into the store.  I was under the impression that her future mother-in-law would've preferred something not low-cut, but Jessica did say in her TH something to the effect of 'it's her wedding and she'll wear what she wants to'.  I don't think the entourage wanted to see any cleavage. They didn't make a big deal out of it, they just simply gave their opinion.  She shouldn't have brought them if she didn't want to hear what they had to say!

3 hours ago, rereader2 said:
23 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Does anybody know where that SYTTD Northern Edition that was on over the weekend comes from? I searched, but really couldn’t find much info.

Canada, I believe.

Yes, it's Canada.  This is my least favorite out of the group.  There's something so unappealing about that particular store.  It's just so bland and uninteresting to look at.  They need a re-do of the whole store.  I love the store in England.  The way it's decorated appeals to me.  YMMV. 

• Love 1
On 3/20/2020 at 11:15 AM, maggiegil said:

I'm watching the first new episode of Atlanta and all I can think about is how great Lori looks, I don't know if shes had something else done or if its just her hair but she looks at least 20 years younger

image.png.0103004221b9dd3156c708390c046f58.png

Capture2.JPG.ee9d1a74fe037bec8bc4d054ca423aa4.JPG

I watched over the weekend and literally did not recognize Lori.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2020 at 11:16 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

I'm really trying to figure out how a couple can appear at the Office of the City Clerk in person, together and at different times, or separately and at the same time.

Anyone? 😉

They're probably just being really, really obvious so that stupid couples don't act like, "I didn't know we both had to be here at the same time together!" The same reason there's a tag on your blow dryer telling you not to use it in the shower.  Or, just poor writing skills put in place by some hack state worker decades ago who thought it sounded smart.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2020 at 7:14 PM, NJMom said:
On 3/30/2020 at 12:09 PM, Kohola3 said:

I think they went there when Boob and Meechele did a vow renewal.

Yes, and Michelle tried on dresses while wearing some kind of modesty turtleneck liner under them. 

7 hours ago, magemaud said:

Yes, and Michelle tried on dresses while wearing some kind of modesty turtleneck liner under them. 

Yes, except it wasn't as structured or flattering as a turtleneck.  It looked like an old bed sheet wrapped around her chest.  Kleinfeld's actually has a part of the store devoted to covered wedding dresses for women who are members of a religious community that requires it or who just want a covered look.  They sell wedding attire to a large Orthodox Jewish clientele which has been featured on the show in the past.  I presume the reason Michelle Duggar didn't look at dresses from there was because it wouldn't have made 'good' TV.

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I presume the reason Michelle Duggar didn't look at dresses from there was because it wouldn't have made 'good' TV.

Probably the thought of an evangelical fanatic mingling with Orthodox Jews gave her the heebie jeebies.  

• Love 1
On 4/12/2020 at 10:32 AM, Kohola3 said:

Probably the thought of an evangelical fanatic mingling with Orthodox Jews gave her the heebie jeebies.  

There could have been some Mormons or traditional Catholics going through those dresses too! Danger everywhere. 

• LOL 4
On 4/12/2020 at 1:54 AM, magemaud said:

Hahahaha - and Michelle wouldn’t let the consultant help her in the dressing room.  Weirdo.

• Love 1