Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Episode Talk

This is my public apology to Padua. He unfortunately looks like the cocoa version of a vanilla person I can't stand, and I have to admit that I was glad to see him eliminated this week. Definitely not his fault, and he seems like a good guy to boot. So I wish him the best, just not on my TV where I can see him.

I'm starting to feel like Haley is taking advantage of her pretty blue eyes in getting away with murder. Really? I had to decorate the plate too? Oh, OK, I'll do it next time. Lucky for her that there was gonna be a next time.

Can I just say I'm tired of shows that judge only on what happened in a specific episode? Why can't Padua and Adalberto be judged on their overall work?

I for one am very happy that they don't judge on past performance.  This is like the Olympics of cooking--have a bad day and you are out.  I think that judging on past performance leaves way too much room for producers to muck things up by developing story arches or redemption themes or all the other crap that ruin (IMO) a pure outcome competition. 

• Love 8

"Oh, OK, I'll do it next time."

I was SO hoping that would be an ironic comment and there would be no next time for her. I am gobsmacked that she continues to advance despite her lack of creativity or presentation. So she made three edible cookies. I could have done that myself. I think she's getting by on her doe eyes because they want at least ONE attractive contestant and none of the others really fit the bill.

Sad to see Padua go but he was classy about it.

I'm still going to call Adalberto for the win, despite his being B2 this week. 

The rest of the finalists all irk me to varying extents (I'm looking at Steve in particular but Maeve is a close second, followed by a tie between big-mouthed Melody and hapless pointless Haley) whereas Adalberto seems like a total sweetheart as well as someone who has been creative with all of his challenges.

Also, on a personal anecdotal note re: Steve's dessert ... I had a kitchen catastrophe during our Thanksgiving dinner prep (we were working in shifts in my daughter's small kitchen and so while I was making dessert I asked hubby to help me out since he was already in there and I needed four hands) ... I was making ... wait for it ... ginger ice cream (pretty much exactly how Steve made his with the chopped candied ginger AND the chopped fresh ginger root but without the vanilla aspect at the time) and had stirred and steeped the mixture.

I set down the colander and asked hubby to strain the mixture ... and just spaced out reminding him that we'd need to strain it into a bowl, because unlike most things we strain (pasta, etc.) we were keeping the runoff, not what was left in the colander. 

So, of course, we realized the mistake simultaneously but not before three quarters of the mixture was down the drain in the kitchen sink. And had neither time nor ingredients to do it again ... 

I ended up melting down half a container of vanilla ice cream and mixing it in with what was left of the ginger ice cream and churning it together to put with the pecan pie ... and so Steve's making ginger-vanilla ice cream because it was less in-your-face than straight-on ginger ice cream vindicated me ... and yes, it was delicious and yes, you could still taste the ginger and yes, had we not screwed up the ice cream probably would have been a little TOO strong.

• Love 5

The thing about Padua  was he froze due to the mishap.  He did nothing to spruce up either of the same dough cookies.

They might have still figured it was the same dough but if he put icing on it or something it might have helped..  What did he do for the 10 minutes the second batch was baking?

• Love 1

How is Haley still hanging around?  It's got to be due to her puppy love crush on Bobby (blurgh, BTW).  She actually owns a bakery?  Her stuff seems so bland and simplistic every week.  My daughter and her friends are 9 and they can make more complex things than Haley.  She seems sweet, but she's in way over head. 

Maeve irks and I can't pinpoint why.  But I know I wouldn't want to spend much time with her at a cocktail party.  She's too smug?  Too smirky?  Too cocky?  Dunno, but don't like her or her stupid ginger "chews" (or her white nail polish).

I think Steve thinks he's auditioning for Next Food Network Star.  He is always "ON". It's exhausting.

I guess I'm rooting for Adalberto then.

I don't watch very much Food Network anymore other than Chopped and some of these holiday shows, so I don't know too many of their so-called "celebrities",  Who is the grumpy granny "I can't taste the X" blonde judge?  What makes Nancy Fuller a celebrity?  She is humorless and never has much positive to say.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 5

I don't watch very much Food Network anymore other than Chopped and some of these holiday shows, so I don't know too many of their so-called "celebrities",  Who is the grumpy granny "I can't taste the X" blonde judge?  What makes Nancy Fuller a celebrity?  She is humorless and never has much positive to say.

They said over in The Judges thread that she is the host of Farmhouse Rules?

• Love 1

Late in responding, but I believe they are doing a 4 week holiday version of the GBBS in America again. I've been seeing commercials for it. Unless I missed part of it and they are just airing the British version.

PBS has actually been airing the most recent British version here in the US. Our PBS affiliate carried it on Sunday nights (as I think most of the PBS network did) & this season's finals have already aired here. I unfortunately spent half of October in the hospital because of an infection & I caught the last 2 eps while I was there, thanks to a more limited channel selection than my home cable package has.

• Love 1

My issue with this show, is that the cakes are the least important part,  Yes sometimes flavor or texture come into it, but other times they make cookies or cupcakes - they are not all equal. 

But this is the Holiday Baking Championship, not Cake Wars.  

Was watching a "Chopped" marathon with my daughter on Friday and we all love that show but I hadn't realized until then how much they just clobber you over the head with the cheftestants' stories with a castiron crying pan (just saw this typo but am actually going to leave it because it's pretty fitting) until the episode we saw -- we heard more about their sob stories than we saw them cook.

I have a feeling "hit over the head with a crying pan" is going to become a well used phrase. Genius!

Maeve irks and I can't pinpoint why.  But I know I wouldn't want to spend much time with her at a cocktail party.  She's too smug?  Too smirky?  Too cocky?  Dunno, but don't like her or her stupid ginger "chews" (or her white nail polish).

I think Steve thinks he's auditioning for Next Food Network Star.  He is always "ON". It's exhausting.

Maeve annoys me because she seems to try too hard in her talking heads - the exasperated looks, the whining, and, especially, she tries too hard to be funny and clever.  It is like she is playing a character and she is a bad actress.  

I agree on Steve - I feel like he thinks he is on Food Network Star - the helpful tips, the way he explains things, etc... 

• Love 2

Maeve is a bit much - I want to like her because she loves rescue dogs and has pugs (LOVE) but she is wearing thin.  You all are right about Steve and I would not be surprised to see him on the next rendition of Food Network Star.   Puke.  Just bake - the over the top theatrics wear me out on all of these shows.

• Love 3

Agreed:  Steve's trying way, way too hard to be madcap and Maeve simply cannot convince me she is having a good time.  Apparently the camera man shooting down her cleavage at every opportunity is enjoying himself though.

I think Adalberto has this in the bag but they're playing a bit fast and loose with the judging to make it look like the others have a shot.

• Love 3

I recently discovered the Great British Baking Show and binge watched the Season 5 eps on PBS (just the last 5, unfortunately) and then Season 4 on Netflix. Coming off that to this show was a shock. I had to FF over every bit with Bobby because he's so awful and I skipped over most of the contestants' personal stories because I just don't care. I'm not sure why GBBS is so much more compelling but I watched every minute and was never bored. This show seems short on enjoyable content and long on filler.

I liked Padua and am sorry he's gone. Steve bugs, Haley looks like a scared bunny. Maeve is a bit too intense, the other woman (Melody?) is pretty bland, but Adalberto seems sweet and charming. And he seems like the best baker left, so I hope he wins.

• Love 3

Since the beginning, I've been trying to figure out who Haley reminds me of, and today I finally got it. Put on different hair and she looks like an old school Midge doll. Her face just looks so plastic looking to me. And her excuses for her bad bakes are wearing thin, and I can't figure out how she's still on the show.

• Love 2

One thing I kind of love about this show is how often the judges disagree. That feels more realistic to me than having them on the same page even a majority of the time.  People like different things.  Some like more salt.  And it makes sense that there are culural differences in how someone from England likes something and how someone from the US likes a dessert.

• Love 2

I agree, what is overly sweet, minty, salty, to one person is just fine to another. I, for instance, can taste the slightest hint of coffee in chocolate cake or brownies, and it totally ruins them for me. Every time I hear a chef say to put a little coffee in a cake to enhance the chocolate flavor, "but you won't taste it" I want to clobber them. You may not taste it, but I can and I hate it.

I just watched the latest episode on On Demand and again they had flavor issues. I have never used candied ginger, so don't know if the baking process weakens or enhances the flavor, but shouldn't these bakers have some idea?

Couldn't Padua have thrown some butter, sugar, vanilla and flour in a food processor and made some shortbread in about 60 seconds? Ten minutes or so to bake, sprinkle on some colored sugars and boom!, a third cookie. Or, as others have said, a no-bake. Marshmallows, corn syrup, butter and some kind of cereal. Or oatmeal, cocoa, peanut butter and corn syrup, boil for 1 minute and portion out. Presto! Cookies! At least it would have been something. Did he even add nuts, chips or a different flavoring to try and differentiate the two cookies?

• Love 7

I, for instance, can taste the slightest hint of coffee in chocolate cake or brownies, and it totally ruins them for me. Every time I hear a chef say to put a little coffee in a cake to enhance the chocolate flavor, "but you won't taste it" I want to clobber them. You may not taste it, but I can and I hate it.

I think you may be my long lost twin (that my mother never knew she had).  I can taste the slightest bit of coffee in anything.  I understand that a lot of people, who enjoy coffee, feel that coffee and chocolate are a great combination - hence the populaity of mochas and all those mocha flavored foods.  And I can believe that a regular coffee drinker wouldn't notice a slight bit of coffee in their chocolate cake, but it might taste better to them than a cake without coffee.  But that is not me.   I cannot stand the taste of coffee.  There is no other flavor that I don't like, other than coffee. 

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 5

Team Adalberto here!    

Though, truth be told, my husband and I discovered his bakery about a year ago and had eaten an obscene amount of his perfect macarons before he went on the show.  He makes individual versions of each of his show creations to sell the following week, and so far every one has been more than worth the drive across the valley to get them.

Maeve seems constantly pained - I saw a Facebook photo of her where she was smiling and it was a surprise.   Agreeing with the others here, Steve is exhausting.  FN tends to recycle their contestants, so I would be not at all surprised if he showed up on NFNS next season.  

I think what defeated Padua was the time pressure and panic.  I could come up with a dozen options sitting on my couch in my pajamas with no one watching me and no pressure, but I can't imagine having to totally change gears with time and lights and all those eyes on you.  It was sad to see him go.

• Love 3

I enjoyed tonight's episode. I'm starting to like Maeve so I'm glad she won. And Haley's cookies looked delicious, with my kind of flavors. She should have had Erin help with construction, not filling!

I like Steve and I like Maeve less every week so I was disappointed in the final decision.  Steve's looked a lot better to me.

Melody's "redneck croquembouche" looked like plain ol' monkey bread to me.  I felt for her when she burned her hand because burns are so painful but it didn't seem to be bothering her when she was hugging people on her way out the door so maybe it wasn't as bad as it seemed at first.  She was in over her head so I knew she wouldn't make it to the end but I was hoping they'd get rid of Maeve first.

Interesting that croquembouche is a difficult creation that people who bake for a living can have trouble with but little kids on Master Chef Junior can make one in a couple hours - or so they'd have us think. 

Lorraine is just stunning.

• Love 3

The highlight was Nancy knocking Lorraine for taking such tiny bites that she could not not taste the spices in that cookie (or something).  Lorraine responds, I have 3 protein shakes a day, how much more do you want me to eat?!  Oh good god.  They need a judge sans eating disorder for this show!   I don't dislike Lorraine but I do wonder what is up with diet especially after that comment.  

• Love 5

I enjoyed this episode. There aren't enough people saying, "Hee-haw," on my TV. (Maybe I'm watching the wrong things!) My eight-year-old and I try to replicate Steve's dance moves. He can pull it off better than I can.

• Love 2

The highlight was Nancy knocking Lorraine for taking such tiny bites that she could not not taste the spices in that cookie (or something).  Lorraine responds, I have 3 protein shakes a day, how much more do you want me to eat?!  Oh good god.  They need a judge sans eating disorder for this show!   I don't dislike Lorraine but I do wonder what is up with diet especially after that comment.  

Or we sure Lorraine wasn't joking?

• Love 2

Or we sure Lorraine wasn't joking?

Ohhhhhh, she might have been.  This is the first time I have ever watched this show so I am not familiar with her.  Thanks, this sounds right!

Wings, she said 3 meals and 3 protein shakes a day.

Melody's hand looked really red. I burnt my finger taking a bowl out of the microwave yesterday and I can still feel the presence of pain (it doesn't hurt now though).

I too think Steve should have won. On a different show, judges would complain about decorations that you couldn't eat.

Hailey is pretty disappointing now.

• Love 2

I am of the tribe for whom rugalach is a special treat, so it was pretty funny to watch the confusion they had with it. I laughed out loud when Haley said (for the umpteenth time) that since she's just a girl from a small town in Kentucky, she doesn't have rugalach on the menu at the bakery. I guess there are no Jews in Kentucky. Who knew?

I thought for sure that those who made it in unconventional shapes were going to get dinged, but they didn't. And btw, macaroons are not Hanukkah cookies. They're for Passover.

• Love 7

While Maeve's personality grates a bit (I'm glad she finally won one so she can shut up about it), I do like that she takes chances on unusual flavors.  That combination of carroway, cracked pepper, and fennel(?) sounded weird to me, but it sure was different.

It seemed like Steve was the only one to get the crackling caramel right, and that clip of him trying to get it to break apart was funny.  I don't get the raves for his minimalist decorations, though, and thought Maeve's looked lovely.  I think the right person left because it sounded like everything was wrong on Melody's tower.

It seemed everyone did well on the first challenge, which was nice.

I too thought Steve (can't stand him) should have won over Maeve (really can't stand her).  Steve had all the elements, the crack of the caramel mostly.  

I did think it was ridiculous that Lorraine thought the berries was very non-holiday in Hayley's dessert.  Seriously?!  Berries are a year round decorating go to.

• Love 5

I don't like Maeve at all but "Holy banana pants!" did kind of crack me up.

I would rather have seen sad waif Haley go over Melody who I kind of liked but I'm not really too invested. I would like to try and make her pecan, cranberry, cinnamon chip cookies from last week, though.

• Love 1

She said 3 meals and 3 protein shakes a day.

• Love 1

I am a little surprised last year's winner hasn't been mentioned more or at least mentioned how annoying she still is. I don't understand the extra help benefit. Everyone seems to do poorly when they get it. Duff was badly used last year, too.

• Love 1

I am a little surprised last year's winner hasn't been mentioned more or at least mentioned how annoying she still is.

I meant to mention it and forgot.  After last season, I hoped never to see Erin again so I think I just blotted her out.  I think she means well but she's too saccharine and ends up being annoying.

• Love 1

Melody's hand looked terrible after she burned it, I hope it wasn't as bad as it looked. I think Haley should have lost just because she was the one who told Erin not to fill the puffs with so much cream.

• Love 4

Prefacing this to say I am having major memory issues so I could be totally wrong on this, but IIRC didn't Padua make some pretty amazing-looking rugelach last week? I remember being impressed that he threw those in there as part of his repertoire. They looked MUCH better than anyone's attempt at it this week.

And also, totally epic fail for the show to have the contestants make MACAROONS for Chanukah. That's like having an egg hunt for Christmas. I'm okay with the rugelach because I think of that as an all-occasion treat, but YES they should have gone with the sufganiot!

I still love Adalberto. How cute was he when he tilted like his croquembouche (sorry on the massacred spelling ... but, hey, a tower of cream-filled puffs? YES please!)?

And Steve can leave my TV screen forever right now. PLEASE NO on the possible return for FNS. He is NOT a FNS. He is an annoying guy who can bake pretty well and is not anywhere near as funny or engaging as he thinks he is. (Though I think I have used up all of my FNS good karma points by getting Eddie as our winner this year and now I'll never have another winner I like and I'm okay with that.).

• Love 1

Prefacing this to say I am having major memory issues so I could be totally wrong on this, but IIRC didn't Padua make some pretty amazing-looking rugelach last week? I remember being impressed that he threw those in there as part of his repertoire. They looked MUCH better than anyone's attempt at it this week.

And also, totally epic fail for the show to have the contestants make MACAROONS for Chanukah. That's like having an egg hunt for Christmas. I'm okay with the rugelach because I think of that as an all-occasion treat, but YES they should have gone with the sufganiot!

I still love Adalberto. How cute was he when he tilted like his croquembouche (sorry on the massacred spelling ... but, hey, a tower of cream-filled puffs? YES please!)?

And Steve can leave my TV screen forever right now. PLEASE NO on the possible return for FNS. He is NOT a FNS. He is an annoying guy who can bake pretty well and is not anywhere near as funny or engaging as he thinks he is. (Though I think I have used up all of my FNS good karma points by getting Eddie as our winner this year and now I'll never have another winner I like and I'm okay with that.).

You didn't massacre the spelling on croquembouche. You got it totally right. Just an FYI.

Oh lord I hard a hard time enduring Erin bouncing in, if only for a few minutes! I love Christmas but damn woman stop mainlining sugar or whatever, take it down about 5 notches!

I totally think Steve should have won over Maeve, his seemed like he did better technically and his decorations were good as well.

Maeve is just too intense for my taste she reminds me of those soccer Mom's that tell their kids it doesn't matter if they win but gets too amped and crazed

about winning!

• Love 4

I never thought much about Nancy and Lorraine not liking one another, but on this episode I totally bought that it was more than just a show for the camera.  I think it's more about Nancy not caring for Lorraine and her tastes.  I'm as crass as they come, but I know when to speak my mind and when not to and Nancy calling out Lorraine not being able to taste everything b/c she just "nibbles" on the food was rude...but that's my opinion of course.  I get why Duff and Lorraine just nibble on the food b/c it's a lot of food to go through, especially at the beginning.  I couldn't be a judge on these shows mainly b/c my hatred for coconut and nuts.  

As for my hatred of Maeve, I don't know how to explain it really, but I think it's her crazy eyes, and her hair color and the fact that like I mentioned upthread at some point that she does seem like she would be hardcore if you didn't care for her food, even if you were polite in just saying it wasn't your taste.  I think she would talk shit about you behind your back...or straight to your face, w/o blinking an eye.

As for the dancing guy, I can't recall his name...Steve I think.  He just comes off like he's overcompensating for something.  I don't know if it's b/c he is gay and he feels he has something to prove ( I'm gay as well so i'm not trying to malign him ) but something just strikes me as off about him.  I think this whole prancing ballerina shtick is a mask for the camera.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 3

I think he's just a camera-whore, plain and simple.  I imagine he watched season one plus every other Food Network competition and took notes about what to say and do to get the most screen time.

• Love 2

I don't think that Melody should have necessarily gone home over Haley. Haley has been skating by on safe choices every week and I think she should have been dinged for not making the best use of Erin's time.

Maeve reminds of that other tightly-wound female contestant on this past season's FNS. I think her name was Emila. I kind of like Maeve because of her consistently trying to push the envelope. (Not at all fond of her personality.) However, I think that right now she's just at the very edge of becoming OTT with the bizarre flavor combos. I can very easily see her adding just one touch too much of something next week and going home.

Sadly, I think this one is Steve's to lose. On the bright side, if he wins this one, there should be zilch chance for him to be on FNS 2016.

• Love 1

I finally figured out who Maeve reminds me of - the woman on Rehab Addict.  The looks are a bit similar - thin, angular, etc. - but it is mostly how they talk.  They both talk too loud in a nasally voice, whine and complain, and use too many period when speaking - "I. Need. To win. A challenge."  

• Love 3