Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Thank You

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Totally enjoyed this episode since it was so action packed. However...

Why does some female always twist their ankle running through the woods? Maybe the ASZers aren't getting enough calcium and even the young gals have osteoporosis.   OR conversely...Dammit, Annie!  I told you not to wear those stiletto heels during the run.  I commented right after seeing her fall,  "So, Jason Vorehees should be showing up any second now."  

Several,years ago, I was at Shiloh National Military Park, hiking with about 100 other people through the woods with no trails. I had on my hiking boots. And I tripped and fell. Glad I was surrounded by history geeks and not zombies. I would be Tara/Annie. No hope for me at all.

• Love 4

I'm leaning a bit towards Glenn not being dead. Because if he is, this is some fuckery to keep it ambiguous for possibly two weeks. I'd have more respect for TIIC if they just killed him off outright. I'd be sad, but I could begin grieving for a fictional character I'm realizing I'm more attached to than I thought. 

The ambiguity isn't enjoyable. It's not the fun kind of "what's going to happen?" It's manipulative, and if Glenn is dead, then both his character and SY deserved more. 

• Love 12

The way Glenn landed and with Nic on top, he could slide on his back under the dumpster.

I thought that, too, but then what?  As long as he's alive the walkers would mass and mill around and push on the dumpster and there are walkers on the other side of the fence that the dumpster is up against, it's why they didn't just jump over from what I could tell.  So where would he go.

The only way I could see him surviving is for someone to come along and rescue him.  At one point I thought maybe that Daryl would show up, that this would be the point of having him peel off from Sasha and Abraham.  That didn't happen.  And there's no one else, unless there's a new character to be introduced who comes along.  Everyone else is accounted for I think, being somewhere else.

• Love 4

I thought that, too, but then what?  As long as he's alive the walkers would mass and mill around and push on the dumpster and there are walkers on the other side of the fence that the dumpster is up against, it's why they didn't just jump over from what I could tell.  So where would he go.

The only way I could see him surviving is for someone to come along and rescue him.  At one point I thought maybe that Daryl would show up, that this would be the point of having him peel off from Sasha and Abraham.  That didn't happen.  And there's no one else, unless there's a new character to be introduced who comes along.  Everyone else is accounted for I think, being somewhere else.

Morgan was leaving the ASZ at the end of last week wasn't he?  Maybe next week does resolve the question of Glenn?

• Love 2

I thought maybe something could happen that could distract the walkers away.

But until further notice he is dead in my book.

• Love 1

Alright, so things besides Glenn maybe/maybe not dying did happen in this episode...

I really did like this one, even though it mostly followed a bunch of obvious cannon fodder red shirts. Michonne is awesome as always, and I like her leadership style. She is very tough and pragmatic, but maybe a little less crazy eyed than Rick. I think the Alexandirans would be more ok with following her than Rick sometimes. Michonne is usually a very calming presence, while Rick can be a little bit...intense. 

• Love 2

Interesting that among all the posts of stupid Alexandrians are birth control ads?

I still can't believe that they thought letting the walkers out of the pit was a good idea.  Yes, once the truck fell, they had to move ahead with the plan ... but I can't see why the bonfire would not have been better.

Sorry if it seems that I am being argumentative just for the sake of being so, but.......

Let's say that all speculation is true that the body being ripped apart was Nicholas', and Glenn did somehow pull himself free and under the dumpster... that only buys him a couple minutes - unless they retcon stuff shown all series long and from Days Gone Bye, the pilot itself.  The walkers will follow a live food source, whether they can shamble to it or crawl to follow it under something (like chasing/going after Rick after he dove under the tank).  So unless there is a bottom hatch to get through on that dumpster (again, like Rick and the tank), Glenn is toast in the end, no matter what.

I guess it could be played off that Nicholas' blood would have made him smell like a walker, but it would be total BS.  Nick was 'freshly dead' - enough so much that they were ripping him apart and eating him - so his 'freshly dead' blood should not work as a 'smells-like-a-walker bath' as has been used in the past.

The only way I could see it being even a smidgen bit of believable, is Glenn somehow does get under the dumpster, and then someone or something creates an undeniably strong and instant 'lure' to grab ALL the walkers attention away from his position - that or someone(s) [new?] come in immediately and start slaughtering walkers very quickly and efficiently. 

I just don't see it happening - as things were left as they were.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 3

I understand why some would be pissed if they jerk us around for two weeks and Glen turns up okay (ironic that they had Lindelof on the show because that was the reason I stopped watching LOST after the first season: manipulation), buuuuut... all I can say is if there was some way that Hershel could have made it out alive, I would've been the happiest fan on the planet.

Deus ex machina or not, I don't want Glen to be dead. Not Glen. 

• Love 9

Interesting that among all the posts of stupid Alexandrians are birth control ads?

A nice nod to the poster children, as it were....

I still can't believe that they thought letting the walkers out of the pit was a good idea.  Yes, once the truck fell, they had to move ahead with the plan ... but I can't see why the bonfire would not have been better.

Exactly.  It's not like you have to set the entire quarry on fire, for crying out loud:

1. Start a good hot fire.
  2. Zombies drawn to fire.
  3. Zombies catch on fire, making it bigger and drawing more zombies.

It's not rocket surgery.

• Love 5

What I would actually be pissed about is a show just keeping characters around because they are fan favorites and killing of red shirts left and right. Nobodies safe and they never should be. If Glenn is in fact dead, I will miss him a lot. But, I'm not mad about it. What I get mad about is shows doing backflips drying to appease fans. I want them to write the story they want to make and make the moves they want to do. I can't approve of all of the moves but I respect them.

I hear that. Darryl is a good example of a character that seems to have run its course but is still sticking around. I guess my point of divergence is the writers and their intentions. I think that shows should get to tell their story, without reading message boards to figure out what they are going to do. 

I'm disappointed that the story they apparently want to tell is basically "the funeral hour".  I've ditched shows before because of this. Unrelentingly grim is not a story choice that I respect. They managed to kill one of the few new characters I actually liked when Noah was horribly eaten. So I'm left with a dwindling amount of characters I actually care about and shitty new characters I feel indifferent towards. This is what irks me. I think it's easy to write sad crap that's depressing. "No one is safe! Even though we killed three people in the crew last year, we should kill some more. How about Glen? People like him and he's been on the show a long time. This is awesome. The story really calls for Glen to be eaten after making a series of out of character blunders." What happens as a result of Glen dying? Sad, broken people become even more sad and broken. OK. I shrug my shoulders at this and wonder what else is on. I should be fair and admit that this isn't just a Glen issue for me. I've had my ups and downs with this show. I've stopped watching in the past because I thought it was a major bummer. (And boring. A boring bummer. Post-Woodbury season, I'm looking at you!). But I caught up and came back.

Can we also light a candle for the fact that for all we know, the Asian population of the US has just been massacred? Poor Glen, the only Asian man in America to make it this far into the zombie apocalypse.

• Love 19

Morgan was leaving the ASZ at the end of last week wasn't he?  Maybe next week does resolve the question of Glenn?

The show had Morgan save Aaron and Daryl last season, when they were in similar peril, so it would seem like a bit of a retread.  

Maybe it will be Morgan's cheesemaker.  

• Love 1

Alright, so things besides Glenn maybe/maybe not dying did happen in this episode...

I really did like this one, even though it mostly followed a bunch of obvious cannon fodder red shirts. Michonne is awesome as always, and I like her leadership style. She is very tough and pragmatic, but maybe a little less crazy eyed than Rick. I think the Alexandirans would be more ok with following her than Rick sometimes. Michonne is usually a very calming presence, while Rick can be a little bit...intense. 

Why do people say 

Why do people say stuff like this. Rick is the leader for a reason. Last year some people were acting like Carol should start leading. Its easy to be pragmatic when everything is not your shoulders and when everybody isn't looking to you to come up with plans and make the tough decisions. Most of the time Rick's agression and intensity is crucial to not only his survival but the survival of the people he is leading.

• Love 7

I'm leaning a bit towards Glenn not being dead. Because if he is, this is some fuckery to keep it ambiguous for possibly two weeks. I'd have more respect for TIIC if they just killed him off outright. I'd be sad, but I could begin grieving for a fictional character I'm realizing I'm more attached to than I thought. 

The ambiguity isn't enjoyable. It's not the fun kind of "what's going to happen?" It's manipulative, and if Glenn is dead, then both his character and SY deserved more. 

I totally agree.   I am one who -- although it is sad and distressing -- doesn't mind the main characters getting killed off.  That was one of the original reasons I liked this show -- because it is not afraid to kill off main characters at random times in a season, or even in back to back episodes (Dale and Shane, for example).  I don't like the shows that manipulate and make it look like someone died, only to reveal later on that the person is not dead.  That's like straight out of General Hospital or something.

So, if a main character is going to be killed, I want to know for sure that person is dead so I can grieve, sob, shout at the TV, etc.  I can't grieve and sob when I'm 'not sure' if someone died.  Some of the emotion and momentum is lost now that we have to wait another week or two to find out if Glenn is actually dead.   The drama of the death moment would be diminished.   But if Glenn suddenly pops up in a week or two, miraculously managing to get out from under all of those walkers, I will feel manipulated.  I will also think it is totally implausible that anyone could get out from that mess. 

• Love 9

Can we also light a candle for the fact that for all we know, the Asian population of the US has just been massacred? Poor Glen, the only Asian man in America to make it this far into the zombie apocalypse.

Seriously, I've commented before on the rotating black men, but we haven't run into any other Asian characters in 5 years? It was nice to finally have a prominent Asian dude on my TV every week. 

• Love 12

The show had Morgan save Aaron and Daryl last season, when they were in similar peril, so it would seem like a bit of a retread.  

Maybe it will be Morgan's cheesemaker.  

God, that sounds perverted.  :)

• Love 2

This whole episode should be entitled, "Fuck You, Audience."

I am SO angry. I skipped over denial and went straight to anger.

I think it was.  They just weren't allowed to call it Fuck You, so they used Thank You.

• Love 11

Sorry if it seems that I am being argumentative just for the sake of being so, but.......

Let's say that all speculation is true that the body being ripped apart was Nicholas', and Glenn did somehow pull himself free and under the dumpster... that only buys him a couple minutes - unless they retcon stuff shown all series long and from Days Gone Bye, the pilot itself. The walkers will follow a live food source, whether they can shamble to it or crawl to follow it under something (like chasing/going after Rick after he dove under the tank). So unless there is a bottom hatch to get through on that dumpster (again, like Rick and the tank), Glenn is toast in the end, no matter what.

I guess it could be played off that Nicholas' blood would have made him smell like a walker, but it would be total BS. Nick was 'freshly dead' - enough so much that they were ripping him apart and eating him - so his 'freshly dead' blood should not work as a 'smells-like-a-walker bath' as has been used in the past.

The only way I could see it being even a smidgen bit of believable, is Glenn somehow does get under the dumpster, and then someone or something creates an undeniably strong and instant 'lure' to grab ALL the walkers attention away from his position - that or someone(s) [new?] come in immediately and start slaughtering walkers very quickly and efficiently.

I just don't see it happening - as things were left as they were.

It's a stretch but with so much crazy, implausible events happening consecutively, in the time it took Carol to bake a casserole, I suppose it's possible.
  • Love 1

/channels Paigow

Thank You for being a friend.

Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true,

You're a pal and a confidant.

- Apparently what Rick should be singing when he finds out Glenn is dead.

(yeah, I'm old and watched the Golden Girls....so sue me! *grin*)

I will say, this death blew me away. I did not expect it, did not read any spoilers, did not think it would happen. Noah's was more gruesome and so much more viseral and disturbing...either the writers wanted to spare their main guy a violent death, or that was Nicholas's body on top of Glenn's. (I vote Nicholas' body being disemboweled)

And no offense to Morgan-lovers, but next week's episode looks to be such a "downer"/mellow episode, that it in a way ruins the momentum and intensity of the last few episodes. But I know that this episode will be important for plot purposes/backstory. Still, it kills the "mood".

• Love 3

I did have a bit of a problem with the scene when they first entered the derelict town... they left the 2 gimps and the guy slowly dying by walker bite, to 'scout ahead'.  If there had been walkers near to come up on them, those 3 were food!

And also, talk about stamina!  David was bit, on the back of his shoulder - so you'd think the bite area would work faster in killing him, as it being nearer the heart and brain - but other than his struggle to get over the fence (and pulled back to get eaten), he never showed any real problems with complications from said bite.  And amidst all that, he was doing calisthenics, what with all the walking (running, too?) and fighting they were doing [thus keeping the heart rate and faster blood flow at a higher pace].  Amazing.

• Love 3

Why do people say stuff like this. Rick is the leader for a reason. Last year some people were acting like Carol should start leading. Its easy to be pragmatic when everything is not your shoulders and when everybody isn't looking to you to come up with plans and make the tough decisions. Most of the time Rick's agression and intensity is crucial to not only his survival but the survival of the people he is leading.

I am not saying that Rick should not be leader, at all. I am very strongly Team Rick, and his intensity and his crazy eyes. I am just speaking from the POV of the Alexandrians, who seem to generally think he is kind of scary, and are constantly questioning him and undermining him. This episode, we had the guy from the start being all "He`s going to kill us all!", and last week we had a guy wanting to assassinate him. From their perspective, Michonne would probably be the person they would be more comfortable with, just due to her personality, being more low key than Ricks. I don't at all agree with them. The last few episodes have proven they need Rick and company desperately.  

• Love 3

After hearing that statement on TTD, Glenn better be dead, yo. Or I'm going to be pissed off at the "shenanigans," as Damon Lindelof called it.

I am with the mightysparrow - I think Glenn will "live on" through the inevitable baby that the show has been telegraphing.

Would a baby that died in the womb become an inutero-zombie?

I am not saying that Rick should not be leader, at all. I am very strongly Team Rick, and his intensity and his crazy eyes. I am just speaking from the POV of the Alexandrians, who seem to generally think he is kind of scary, and are constantly questioning him and undermining him. This episode, we had the guy from the start being all "He`s going to kill us all!", and last week we had a guy wanting to assassinate him. From their perspective, Michonne would probably be the person they would be more comfortable with, just due to her personality, being more low key than Ricks. I don't at all agree with them. The last few episodes have proven they need Rick and company desperately.  

Following Rick and his plans has lead to lots of ASZers becoming walker chow, not that Michonne had any better luck in this episode.   At the rate they're dropping, they aren't going to be any ASZers left to follow Rick or Michonne.

• Love 2

Following Rick and his plans has lead to lots of ASZers becoming walker chow, not that Michonne had any better luck in this episode.   At the rate they're dropping, they aren't going to be any ASZers left to follow Rick or Michonne.

I was thinking the same thing, tbh. But the Wolves were part of the problem. Rick and co were leading the walkers to wherever (I still don't know where), without problem. It wasn't until the car horn blared out, that a group of walkers got distracted. This was the beginning of the end, because a) the Alexandrians were completely poor and naive and insufficient at dealing with the zombie apocalypse and b) too many bloody walkers.

Looking back, yeah, Michonne, Rick et all should have said "fuck you" to the Alexandria residents and took over. However, we have to remember our favourite characters when we first met them. I remember Glenn being pretty saavy yet scared, Michonne pretty messed up, Rick naive in the beginning, Carol timid and unsure. How far they have come...

RIP Glenn.

• Love 3

I really hope that they don't go with the expected cliche story arc that Maggie is pregnant (especially if Glenn did really die).

I say that not because I don't like babies, but if you're going to go that route, why hasn't Rosita been knocked up by Abraham yet?  Its been blatantly shown (at least once), & also heavily implied, that they are sexually active and I highly doubt they are using protection [ie, condoms, etc] nowadays (if ever).  And even if he pulls out each time before 'finishing', that is hardly really safe.

• Love 5

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. I didn't realize that I cared this much for Glen. I would have rather lost Daryl. 

And I have always loved Morgan, but screw him and his pacifism now. I'm actually kinda unnerved to discover this side of me, but screw them all.

• Love 6

I was thinking the same thing, tbh. But the Wolves were part of the problem. Rick and co were leading the walkers to wherever (I still don't know where), without problem. It wasn't until the car horn blared out, that a group of walkers got distracted. This was the beginning of the end, because a) the Alexandrians were completely poor and naive and insufficient at dealing with the zombie apocalypse and b) too many bloody walkers.

Looking back, yeah, Michonne, Rick et all should have said "fuck you" to the Alexandria residents and took over. However, we have to remember our favourite characters when we first met them. I remember Glenn being pretty saavy yet scared, Michonne pretty messed up, Rick naive in the beginning, Carol timid and unsure. How far they have come...

RIP Glenn.

As they say you go to war with the army you have and this is who Rick has (or had), his core group and the untrained, frightened ASZers.  If his plan was too ambitious for his troops to pull off, if he didn't plan for contingencies (no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy) I think it's easy to see those as failures in leadership.  Maybe, probably unavoidable given the situation but I can see why ASZers, who don't have a history with Rick, might wish this particular sheriff had never rolled into their pretty little town.

• Love 1

Would a baby that died in the womb become an inutero-zombie?

Thank you, I haven't had that nightmare. :p

Cue Caesarian by consumption! 

ZKid would end up eating his/her way out. 

Whoops - too late.  Alien already did that.

• Love 1

Well fuck. There was a lull when I didn't care as much about Glenn (season 4-ish?), but he's been smart and quick and plain awesome since. Dammit. I'm trying to jump on the hope bandwagon, but I can't yet. When he called Rick "dumbass"... yup, done.   

I know the show would lose some excitement in certain scenes if they all walked around in walker guts, but it was SOO necessary this episode. WTF Michonne? Glenn? You guys know this first hand.

And why do they never shoot their friends in the head when they're done for and screaming? Ugh, show. Often, I like to give episodes a second watch. Not this one.

Edited by dannymoon
  • Love 3

I'm with those who say there's no way Glenn could still be alive. On top of everything else that's been said, you can see the dumpster behind his head and it's only and inch or two off the ground -- not nearly enough clearance for him to crawl under.

• Love 1

No NO NOOOOOO!!! In deep denial here. This can't be happening!!!

o2oPwB.gif

I refuse to believe Glenn is dead. Those were clearly Nicholas's guts! He landed on top of Glenn and shielded him.

Glenn pulled a Rick move. The Horse & Tank from Season 1.

While the Walkers were busy feasting on Nicholas, he crawled under the Dumpster.

Something MUST happen next to distract the Walkers away from him.

• Love 5

I feel weird because I have no reaction to Glenn's death (never considered it might be a fakeout until coming on here, so I'm treating it as though it happened).  I'm not shocked, because it was about time for a major character to go.  I'm not angry for basically the same reason- had to be someone.  I might be sad if they get back to Maggie and she gets emotional, but it also feels like a really long time since I've seen them together and was actively rooting for them so I'm not sure.  Plus, I'm not sure if I think she should get sad or delusional, since they were separated before and got back together just fine, and her sister was ultimately OK too until that last minute mishap.

Bottom line, for me it's all just a little...whatever.  It happened.  It'll happen again in a few episodes, especially if they need a quick emotional jolt.

I appreciated the twisted ankle.  Once again, the main survival skill you'd really need is the ability to run safely over different kinds of terrain- they should train for that.  Or maybe get up in the trees or something.

I know the show would lose some excitement in certain scenes if they all walked around in walker guts, but it was SOO necessary this episode. WTF Michonne? Glenn? You guys know this first hand.

This.  There's excitement to be had from stealth in a giant herd of zombies, I would think, at least as much as there is when a couple people get instantly injured and slow the others down. 

• Love 5

Hello this is my first messsage here!

I am pretty sure that Glen is alive,  I went back to when they run in the alley (At 29:53) and the bottom of the dumpster seems high enough.

About the rv that Rick is using...  Is it the same one that Walter White and Pinkman get stuck with in the desert? :-)

• Love 6

That's part of what I enjoy about this, the differing perspectives. I was pretty sure the ground clearance I saw was about 8-10 inches. Then I ran outside and measured my dumpsters and, yep, 3 inches.

• Love 4

I don't know where Morgan learned to fight, but he must have learned to run from Forrest Gump. Guy made it back to Alexandria in a fraction of the time it took everyone else to get there. Ridiculous.

And what exactly was the point of Daryl going off all Easy Rider only to end up back with Sasha and Abraham? 

This show.

(On the plus side, lots of red shirt deaths, and maybe Glenn.)

• Love 1

Was there a visual clue to be had with the amount of sweat that Rick was emitting while sitting in the RV - like a complication with his hand injury, maybe? - or did the showrunners/director just decide to overdo it since Rick hasn't had a reason to really work up a sweat since the last quarter of last season?

His hair and face literally looked like he had just surfaced out of a swimming pool, in at least a couple of the inner RV shots.

Was there a visual clue to be had with the amount of sweat that Rick was emitting while sitting in the RV - like a complication with his hand injury, maybe? - or did the showrunners/director just decide to overdo it since Rick hasn't had a reason to really work up a sweat since the last quarter of last season?

His hair and face literally looked like he had just surfaced out of a swimming pool, in at least a couple of the inner RV shots.

He had just been running for most of the episode

• Love 5

Michonne is another that has to remember that weak get you killed. It is only the strong survive. You help if they can keep up, if they can't you leave them behind or kill them. At this point the new world is only going to have Rick, Carol and maybe Carl since he also kills when it's needed. Because what was she planning on doing with the guy that got bit? She knows he's a goner, why was she telling him he'd get home? Or was she planning on bringing home so they can kill him there?

Dave, (?) the guy that got bit was still able-bodied, he could fight and run, unlike the woman with the twisted ankle and the man who was shot in the leg by a panicky fellow Alexandrite. He could help to carry the wounded and he helped everyone else get over the fence before he was overwhelmed. There is a good argument to be made that it would have been best to leave the two injured Alexandrites in a secure location, but Dave was the opposite of a burden.

• Love 6

I am going back and forth, but I agree that Glenn is dead. Steven will only be on TD after his final appearance when Glenn might be a walker.

They didn't even tell us what caused (or I missed it) Nicholas's complete and utter stupidity and "zone outs" the spoiler articles were talking about. I'm not reading those anymore. I didn't think they would do it.

I think it was guilt, over seeing walkers who used to be his friends. People he left behind.

No NO NOOOOOO!!! In deep denial here. This can't be happening!!!

o2oPwB.gif

I refuse to believe Glenn is dead. Those were clearly Nicholas's guts! He landed on top of Glenn and shielded him.

Glenn pulled a Rick move. The Horse & Tank from Season 1.

While the Walkers were busy feasting on Nicholas, he crawled under the Dumpster.

Something MUST happen next to distract the Walkers away from him.

Gah! Quote 1 and 3 now have me depressed again. I was snuggled up all warm and relaxed on my couch, thinking that he isn't dead, that he was under the dumpster... but that animated picture doesn't show Nicholas as being anywhere near his head. Time for me to sob. And that quote from Gimple, about him showing up in parts, or flashbacks. Ugh! 

Glenn was my pretty much my favourite character. I loved his "not dead!" in episode 2, when he saved Rick. He survived an attack that he shouldn't have, when merle let the zombie in, when he was tied to a chair. I will be annoyed at the manipulation, if it's a fake-out, but I really don't want him to be dead. 

I was appalled that the others just watched people get ripped apart. I don't watch those scenes, because they just seem to need to fill a gore quota for the week. 

I liked Sasha's sarcastic comment to Daryl. "Did ya hear that, Daryl? They're coming our way!".

I thought about Glenn with Dale's RV. He showed Glenn how to get it going again. 

• Love 5

Okay, I have a way out for Glenn

1) He hit his head and it knocked him silly and he's imagining that he was eaten by walkers.

2) He suffered shock from Nicholas killing himself and actually just fell on the top of the dumpster

3) He fell through a hole in the dumpster..

......:(

• Love 4

So, I'm definitely fully on board the "Glenn's not dead" train.  From the looks of it, all the guts we saw being pulled out were from right below Glenn's head and, since they looked a lot like a small intestine, I'm guessing they're Nicolas'.

During that scene, I said to my spouse, "Since when are guts located in the sternum?"

The zombies are pulling out long sausage-like links from just below Glenn's collarbone. As Dawn from TM2 would say, that don't make no sense.

I may be grasping at straws (or poor stage effects), but Glenn's my favorite character on this show, and I need him to stay on my television screen.

• Love 11