Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The Grimm Identity

All I can say is I’m an evil person. When the baby’s heart rate plummeted, I kept chanting “die, die, die.” Then I looked at Nick’s face and went “Dammit.” “Dammit, dammit, dammit, DAMMIT.” Then I decided, screw morality. This is a TV show. I don’t care. A dead baby is the best outcome. I would rather have Nick grieve for the baby rather than the remote possibility of Nick and Adalind getting together as a result of co-parenting.

I just wanted a dead baby. Was that really too much to ask?

Chavez is Resistance, I think. This was the first time I was ever disappointed to see Meisner. I guess it makes sense, because if Verrat infiltrated the FBI, why not Resistance members? Of course, Chavez conveniently dies while giving Nick cryptic information.

Keep hating Adalind, Nick. Adalind is playing nice sweet Mommy until she has a chance to stab you in the back. I swear to God, if the showrunners try to pair Nick and Adalind together, I’m out.

This is why you don’t kill the loved ones of the main characters; it gives the writers license to pull stupid shit like that.

At least the menace seems real from the invasion of the Royals….Verrat….Body Snatchers?

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 5

Did they forget to pay the light bill over the summer?    Even the hospital delivery room was dark.    Shouldn't the doc have been able to see what they were doing?   The fight scene in the warehouse was so dimly lit I couldn't tell who was fighting whom.   Oh and the sound guy.   Chavez was practically whispering.   

There's no body.   I ain't believe Juliette is dead until we see her in the coffin with a stake through her heart, her head cut off and her mouth stuffed full of garlic.   And even then that might not be enough.   Off to consult Terry Pratchett to be sure.      I also think the producers read these boards.   The gang re-hashed our "but she didn't mean to become a hexenbeist so it wasn't her fault v. okay she didn't mean to become one but she sure as hell didn't try to control herself when it happened" argument.

Was that the world's fastest pregnancy?    I thought Adalind found out she was pregnant about the same time Juliette became a hexenbeist.   And Juliette knew she was one for about 2 weeks.   Now Adalind is giving birth.   To baby Kelly.   Oh way to push it with Nick.   No Adalind, you are not going to settle down with the Grimm and live happily ever after with your two children.

• Love 3

Boy Nick sure has had a crazy, tumultuous, extremely emotional 24-48 hours, even for this show.

Tumultuous is an understatement. At first, I thought Chavez was gas-lighting Nick. Then, I thought maybe the Scooby Gang would think Nick was crazy. That didn't last long. They had Nick's back. The only real issue they had Renard summed up in his statement. "You confronted her in her office in front of witnesses."

I have so much respect for this show that they began exactly where they left off. There was no time jump to minimize the consequences, physical and emotional, from the events of last season.

• Love 7

I have so much respect for this show that they began exactly where they left off. There was no time jump to minimize the consequences, physical and emotional, from the events of last season.

Thankfully, however, I don't trust these writers to follow through, I expect a retcon to make it go back to the status quo like it has in the past 4 seasons.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2

Juliette is so alive.

I'm hoping for that, but only if she's not a crazy, murderous Hexenbeist. And that she also gets to kick some Four Liners ass. That was four lines on the wall, right? I refuse to dignify the enemy by saying those somehow resembled claw marks.

Invasion of the Four Liners. I like that until somebody comes up with a clever nickname.

• Love 1

So, apparently the show continues to be Rapetastic.  In other news, Bitsie Tulloch is cheerleading the hell out of the show on her Twitter.  It's possible that Bitsie Tulloch is a living saint.  After the shit the showrunners did to her character last season, if I were her I wouldn't piss down their throats if their lungs were on fire.  And they would be.  Because I would have set their lungs on fire.

• Love 9

First, why did the PTB feel the need to have a lovely shot of Portland "destroyed" by the supposedly buzzy/"exciting" (?) new menace of the season? Why can't we and Nick just have a nice quiet end to the episode and end on that lovely shot of the lovely city? We know the loveliness will not last, so why not just take a moment. Geesh.

I will forever love Bud. He blathers when tense, but he's a rock when you need him.

Monroe and Rosalee are pretty much Love, so don't eff with them or their good friends and things'll be fine.

Drew, Hank and Renard were looking good and also worried for their Grimm. He's about to go all Mt. St. Helen's and he's aiming himself at the Feds. That ain't good. Now it's some group that's infiltrated the Feds, a different one, and that's not good either.  I also enjoyed the Drew/Hank/Monroe united front at Chavez. I also appreciated that Hank was wary, but wasn't interested in starting anything new unless he really had to do so.  "She had to use her thumbprint to answer her phone!"

The multiplying,dance-y, colorized boxes of Kelly's head? Not only fakey looking, but, imo, badly done. Then again, if that's the feel they were going for, done. If it was supposed to be spooky or evocative of the "Pink Elephants on Parade" section of Disney's Dumbo? Not so much. (Said section deals with drunkenness and what one can see while in an altered state.)

With all the shots of Nick in the car, I kept expecting/waiting for him to be t-boned. Especially with him on the phone while driving. (Bad example there, Nick the New-Fangled Grimm! *g*)

I really hate the trope of people talking until their (supposed) last breath. I hope Chavez was on the brink of death, but is spirited back to D.C. or wherever she came from originally. Not because I dislike the character, because I like her enough as a thorn in Nick's side. It's because I get tired of non-medical personnel just going, 'Welp! They stopped talking; they're dead' with no attempt to further verify their theory.  I hope that Nick at least anonymously called the scene in to 9-1-1.

I hope Josh is okay. If Teresa was induced to join Chavez with Josh as leverage, as was speculated here, then I am concerned due to the supposed death of Chavez. We still don't know what exactly is up with Teresa, so put me down as concerned about Josh, potential collateral damage.

ITA about the happy little family; if Show goes there, I am out. You can co-parent without actually becoming a couple.

It felt like it was trying to wrap stories from last season up as fast as they could, almost a done in one kind of episode. I enjoyed seeing characters I realized I missed like crazy, but I wasn't  super interested in anything other than where Teresa was and what was done/who the hell took Kelly's head and Juliet's body.  I hope that Nick has to deal with news crews and concerned neighbors on top of all the fresh hell he's having. While he was worried about Aunt Marie's warning about Juliet, nothing has ever been done to protect the neighbors from being collateral damage. Yes, Nick loves Juliet, but the neighbors super-especially didn't ask to be used in Wesen games.

I will hang in and see how the next few episodes go. 

• Love 1

No way Juliette is dead. This show does not kill of anyone that it should so I expect her to show up eventually. She was probably the beast that was locked up.

And why couldn't that woman just not tell Nick where Trouble is? At this point, she is the only reason I am hanging in there. She better show up soon.

I almost threw up in my mouth when Nick was watching over Analind's spawn. I hope that the baby is not Nick's, but whatever.

Edited to change "Juliette's" to "Analind's.".

Edited by SimoneS

Okay episode, I have to say that after being out for 2 seasons, Nick and Adalind having a baby is the most random thing ever.  That beings said, interested to see how this plays out. Nick may not be the father.

Loved Monroe and Rosalee, however their little disagreement tonight makes me concerned that there will be some trouble in paradise

Bud is still cute

Didn't see Chavez dying so that shocked me

I see Wu is in on the secret now

This show loves its babies.

No kidding.  I'm waiting for Juliette to give birth to Prince What's-His-Name's kid, since they had their own little session before Kelly showed up with Diana.  Wonder what the resistance will do with that particular Hexenbiest/Royal baby?

Count me in as another viewer who absolutely does not want a Nick/Adalind pairing, regardless of baby Kelly.  (I, too, was halfway hoping that the baby would die.  Sorry.)

• Love 3

No kidding.  I'm waiting for Juliette to give birth to Prince What's-His-Name's kid, since they had their own little session before Kelly showed up with Diana.  Wonder what the resistance will do with that particular Hexenbiest/Royal baby?

Another hybrid Royal baby.

Count me in as another viewer who absolutely does not want a Nick/Adalind pairing, regardless of baby Kelly.  (I, too, was halfway hoping that the baby would die.  Sorry.)

Same, I've already stopped watching, I'm just reading spoilers: angsty Nick and Nick and Adalind baby hour.

I didn't want the baby to die, I was hoping that Adeline would die so Nick could be single parent Grimm.  I think that would have been the best outcome.

This was a crazy episode.  So much happening all at once.  That's way too much for anyone to process at any one time.  Oh, and Juliette is totally not dead.

• Love 3

After being disappointed that the baby didn't die, I kept wondering if that was a professional actor baby or Coffee's own wee bairn.

Coffee tweeted that Hexenbaby is played by twins that actually do have the same birthdate as her son.

Also apparently Adalind was supposed to have gone into labor at the end of last season but they had to cut the scene due to her having her own kid first.

Back on topic, I get Everyone knew Nick went through a lot, but why non of them believed Juliette was dead and Trubel was taken was odd. Nick wasn't acting SO off kilter that his friends should wonder about his sanity at that point. Had he laid a carnage of wesen in order to get to Chavez (Jack Bauer levels of carnage) then I'd be worried.

But man did DG play though moments of grief over Juliette very well. Especially the one when he heard her in their bedroom and sank back against the wall as it threatened to overtake him. Then he pushed it down and went back to trying to find Trubel.

Chavez just annoyed the crap out of me with her monotone, her smirking, and her goading of the crew. The woman broke into a Grimm's house and took his mother's head and his girlfriend's dead body. She's lucky he didn't say to hell with it and break some bones. Meisner being a part of it makes sense as the Resistance can be in resistance of anything- Royals and this new threat. Still wish they'd play the angle of him and Adalind over Nick and Adalind since she's already bonded with him over Diana and they had decent chem. and shed once again be caught with trying to align herself with whichever man is in power -Meisner as high player in the Resistance or Nick, the Grimm of Portland.

My theory is Juliette is going to come back in the form of a poltergeist/ghost. Rosalee wanted to say good-bye and Nick heard her voice in the house. She may need to be exorcised which is when everyone gets their closure with her. Or they may Frankenstein her. Or since she was a really powerful Hexenbeist she can Wolverine levels heal herself, Or Juliette's spirit/soul is now trapped to the house with her corporeal soulless Hexenbeist body self is alive, kickin, and locked behind that steel door Chavez was peering into.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 4

What/who was in the cell that Chavez & Meisner were discussing? He asked it if was a bad idea & I immediately thought Juliette was alive. Please someone tell me I'm wrong & they mentioned something I missed.

[small vouce] I don't mind the babies. [/small voice] I'm a sucker & I also don't mind Adalind as much as some do. I liked seeing everyone again, but I'm ready for some WotW cases. I'd like a break from arcs or at the very least run them in the background. As for the stupid scratches, all I see is a hybrid of the Monster Energy logo. So war is coming. With who? Red Bull.

• Love 14

Wow, that episode moved fast. Yeah, Nick was on a war path in this episode, but other than yelling and acting like a manic at Chavez's office, in on way would make anyone suspicious of him once they find out she has been attacked and/or killed, cough*no*cough. One thing that I did like was that it started literally the moment where we left off last season, so we got to see some actual reactions about the events of last season. 

Also, was Adalind that far into her pregnancy? I thought that she was only a few months and not at full-term? 

• Love 1

This episode was kind of a disappointment in my book.  Even though they picked up right where they left off, all the characters and action felt completely different and foreign to me.  Even minor characters like Meissner and Chavez, whom we really haven't seen that much of before, seemed strange with different motivations than I expected.  This supposedly huge threat from the claw people or whoever they are seems like an afterthought, as if the writers were trying to think up something to distract us from wondering if Juliette is still alive or not and couldn't come up with anything better than some entirely new, cryptic threat that Nick et al have never heard of before.  Maybe it will end up being tied into the existing Grimm world better than I think, but right now it doesn't feel like it fits in and I am really beyond ticked off that I waited all summer to get Chavez giving us this cryptic crap and we don't even get to find out for sure if Juliette is alive or not, where Trubel is, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is I just wanted something from last season resolved.  This episode did everything it could to avoid that.

I did actually think it was sweet of Adalind to suggest naming the baby Kelly (I can't believe I said that about Adalind), but I only feel that way because I like the actress.  I know it wouldn't be realistic in real life.

• Love 1

This episode was kind of a disappointment in my book.  Even though they picked up right where they left off, all the characters and action felt completely different and foreign to me.  Even minor characters like Meissner and Chavez, whom we really haven't seen that much of before, seemed strange with different motivations than I expected.  This supposedly huge threat from the claw people or whoever they are seems like an afterthought, as if the writers were trying to think up something to distract us from wondering if Juliette is still alive or not and couldn't come up with anything better than some entirely new, cryptic threat that Nick et al have never heard of before.  Maybe it will end up being tied into the existing Grimm world better than I think, but right now it doesn't feel like it fits in and I am really beyond ticked off that I waited all summer to get Chavez giving us this cryptic crap and we don't even get to find out for sure if Juliette is alive or not, where Trubel is, etc.

That's because it is, nothing was properly planned out  especially if they retcon it all.  They supposedly 'retooled' it after the finale, but again, I don't trust these writers at all.  These new people are no different than the Royals, just substitute random new villains for another.

• Love 1

So, despite watching every damn episode of Fear the Walking Dead (hey, it might have only been six episodes, but it felt like six seasons sometimes), I don't why it didn't hit me until tonight that Elizabeth Rodriguez played Lisa there and Chavez here.  I'm usually better at that.  Eh, she's now dead, so I guess it doesn't matter.  I wished she actually told Nick what really is going on instead of just cryptic messages, but that kind of comes with the territory, in these types of shows.

Anyway, Trubel is now missing and Juliette is presumed dead, but yeah.... I don't think she is.  Personally, I thought that animal, crazed  voice from behind the door, sounded a bit like her/Bitsie Tulloch, so I'm thinking this mysterious group saved her, and are attempting to do some kind of crazy shit with her.  If I'm wrong, and she is actually dead, then she'll still be back in some form.  Have to think they'll give her a final good-bye.  But, again, right now I'm putting money on still alive.

I still can't believe that Nick and Adalind have a child.  Never would have predicted that. And are they truly trying to redeem her now?  Kind of not buying it, show.

Nick going on a rampage did lead to some cool moments with Hank, Monroe, Rosalee, and Wu. I liked seeing Hank kind of step up as the leader at times.  I also liked Monroe's attempt at talking Nick down, and reminding him (and the audience) about their past.  I sometimes think the show forgot how important that relationship was, way back in season one when Nick was a newbie.  And, of course, Rosalee was the best choice to accompany Nick to the hospital.

Renard seems to have successfully covered up his Ripper slayings, which is good since I'm sure he's going to have a shit ton to deal with this season.  Being the police chief of this version of Portland has to be one of the most tiring jobs of all time.

Bud continues to be the best.

Really hope these new bad guys are better then the boring Royals.  And when we do get "faces" of the organization, they aren't wasted like James Frain and Alexis Denisof were.

• Love 3

I enjoyed Bud and the breakfast/food. The jam instead of the syrup.

Didn't care for Chavez being so cryptic. The phone will play an important part, but the fingerprint part of answering it needs to be fixed. The four fangs/scratches? Wait and see. I'd have preferred something a bit less cryptic. War is coming. So is winter.

I hope we do see some more Ripper fallout. It was covered up too easily. Although with the new fangs in town, Renard will be busy.

No body means Juliette isn't dead yet. I was hoping that the baby wouldn't make it, but there must be some importance. Adalind as mommy will get boring and tedious.

• Love 2

I don't think it helps that they kept Bitsie's name in the opening credits, so I'm pretty positive (like, 90%) that she's still alive, or at least will be back in full form. 

I didn't watch most of last season (pretty much only a few episodes in total), but I did hear about the whole Juliette arc. I didn't mind Juliette per say, but I do think that they didn't give her the best material to make her look good. They started to, but by the beginning of last season, I was mildly annoyed by her. And now? I'd be perfectly happy if she didn't come back. Besides, I think it would be an overall waste of an arc for Nick if she wasn't really dead. It would have been different if he saw her get shot and then immediately taken away, and not actually have died in his arms and Nick getting this emotional arc. I actually thought, at first, that it was neat to have the main character in a steady relationship and to have that not change. But then the show kept throwing these stupid dramatic arcs and then this hexenbiest arc that apparently made Juliette look like a selfish individual.

All I want is a story arc that isn't boring, isn't drawn out for multiple seasons and something that actually has some poignant moments. The only arc that started off well that kept me interested was Nick becoming a zombie. Then they dropped it (for the most part). Nick being a new father? It could have been interesting, if it wasn't for stupid Adalind. I used to like her, but I think she outstayed her welcome and her being around makes little sense.

I really did love this show the first three seasons. Now, I just wish they would balance out their arcs better.

• Love 2

Okay, I'm over here in Grimm town, so I'm probably one of the last of you to see this.  I'm typing this up as I watch and before I read any other posts.   I apologize if this stream of consciousness rambling makes no sense.  (Also, there shall be bullet points....)

• Wasn't this in color in the previews?  And look!  Renard IS there!
  • I think the fact that it is BT in the casket and not a prop pretty much lets us all know that Juliette is alive. (https://instagram.com/p/9e7MD-P8Nq/?taken-by=bitsietulloch)
  • Woah...floating heads...
  • Not liking all the Adalind in the new opener.  I mean, I know we're stuck with her, but I was hoping that she's stay on the periphery
  • Hey, whatever happened to the rest of Kelly's body?  I guess the royals could have taken it, but they seemed to travel pretty light.
  • And we've just established that we can't trust what Nick sees/remembers....
  • Woah...massive info dump (for those viewers who missed all of season 4....)
  • Renard looks very pleased with himself...
  • People really shouldn't think deep thoughts when they are driving...
  • The writers really want us to know that THERE WERE NO PLOT HOLES REGARDING THE HELICOPTER!!!  Yeah, keep saying that....
  • Yes, Chavez is behind it all...not all the Royals that you spent 2 episodes chasing last season....
  • I've got to say it....crazy mad and going off the deep end Nick is pretty hot....
  • It's nice to see Renard with a backbone...it happens so rarely lately...
  • I think Rosalee forgot that she had washed her hands of Juliette.
  • Again, THERE ARE NO PLOT HOLES REGARDING THE HELICOPTER!!!!
  • Hee hee, Wu's got his fighting face on....
  • Can you really do background checks like that from your home computer?
  • How did that bed get made?  The last we saw it, if was all, um, post-coital
  • Crap, he's making me cry
  • Thank you Monroe....
  • Juliette's not dead proof #3 - Rosalee's speech
  • MEISNER! MEISNER! MEISNER! Okay, I'll admit I didn't expect to see him there.... (But, my oh my, between super hot crazy Nick and Meisner, I am glad my husband isn't watching this with me!)
  • I know who is in that cell!!!!!  

(Juliette's not dead proof #4)

• Oh Monroe, how I love you...you are just too sweet for words.
  • Oh Adalind, I really want to love to hate you but, alas, I just hate you.  
  • Sorry, I know she's fierce, but Fuchsbau Rosalee just isn't all that intimidating.
  • DIE ADALIND DIE!  (I know she doesn't, but it makes me feel better saying that)
  • Normally I adore Bud, but I'm finding him rather annoying tonight.  I blame Adalind.
  • You shouldn't be doing this, Nick.  You shouldn't. 
  • DIE ADALIND DIE!  
  • I like that Hank is starting to take the lead on things.  For 4 years, he's always just followed Nick.
  • Hmm, really thought Chavez was going to hang around longer
  • MEISNER!  MEISNER! MEISNER!
  • Ugh, Adalind...
  • Um, women who have just had c-sections definitely do NOT sit up in bed like that...
  • Sorry, Adlaind, what you'v done is not that easy to forgive
  • Kelly....CALLED IT!
  • Oooh, bad CGI claw.....

So, overall, an up and down episode.  I like the general direction of the season, but I still hate, Hate, HATE the Adalind story line.  However, it seems that Nick will be working with Meisner...and Meisner and Adalind had through the roof chemistry.  

When DG said in an interview that "proximity breeds romance," it could be (I hope) that he was referring to Meisner and Adalind, especially since it seems pretty clear (at least to me) that Juliette is alive, screaming, and locked in a cell.

I have to say, though, I was not impressed with the actual writing of this episode.  There was too much of an effort to try and make up for plot holes and such in the last season and some of the dialogue seemed too stilted.  DG's acting really stood out, which was a great thing.  If it hadn't, I'm afraid this episode would have failed miserably.

All I can say is I’m an evil person. When the baby’s heart rate plummeted, I kept chanting “die, die, die.” Then I looked at Nick’s face and went “Dammit.” “Dammit, dammit, dammit, DAMMIT.” Then I decided, screw morality. This is a TV show. I don’t care. A dead baby is the best outcome. I would rather have Nick grieve for the baby rather than the remote possibility of Nick and Adalind getting together as a result of co-parenting.

I just wanted a dead baby. Was that really too much to ask?

Chavez is Resistance, I think. This was the first time I was ever disappointed to see Meisner. I guess it makes sense, because if Verrat infiltrated the FBI, why not Resistance members? Of course, Chavez conveniently dies while giving Nick cryptic information.

Keep hating Adalind, Nick. Adalind is playing nice sweet Mommy until she has a chance to stab you in the back. I swear to God, if the showrunners try to pair Nick and Adalind together, I’m out.

This is why you don’t kill the loved ones of the main characters; it gives the writers license to pull stupid shit like that.

At least the menace seems real from the invasion of the Royals….Verrat….Body Snatchers?

I'm really not a fan of killing kids, but I was totally with you on this one.  

I was also a little frustrated about how easily they swept the Royals story line under the rug.  I get that they are trying to go in a different direction, but they needed to tie up some loose ends there.

Was that the world's fastest pregnancy?    I thought Adalind found out she was pregnant about the same time Juliette became a hexenbeist.   And Juliette knew she was one for about 2 weeks.   Now Adalind is giving birth.   To baby Kelly.   Oh way to push it with Nick.   No Adalind, you are not going to settle down with the Grimm and live happily ever after with your two children.

The whole pregnancy was ridiculous...it should NEVER have been part of the show.  Unfortunately, the show runners have some sort of sick baby fetish and now we're stuck with them.  I mean, if they wanted to add (yet another) baby to the mix, let Monroe and Rosalee have a completely unremarkable, "unspecial" child.

Juliette is so alive.

I'm going to get kicked off this board for this, but if Juliette alive means no Nick/Adalind, I'm all for it....

(If it were up to me, I'd leave her dead and let Nick be single for a while and then introduce a new character...but it isn't up to me....)

I almost threw up in my mouth when Nick was watching over Juliette's spawn. I hope that the baby is not Nick's, but whatever.

I think you mean Adalind's spawn.  Or do you?  I think there is a good chance it will turn out to be genetically Juliette's...because that's the way the cookie crumbles on this show.

But, yeah..HATED THOSE SCENES!

After being disappointed that the baby didn't die, I kept wondering if that was a professional actor baby or Coffee's own wee bairn.

It's not Cal (Claire Coffee's son).  They have a set of twins for the baby shots.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

Did they forget to pay the light bill over the summer?    Even the hospital delivery room was dark.    Shouldn't the doc have been able to see what they were doing?   The fight scene in the warehouse was so dimly lit I couldn't tell who was fighting whom.   Oh and the sound guy.   Chavez was practically whispering.   

I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain that that guard was standing in almost complete darkness before Chavez went into the basement or whatever to peek into that cell.  It was distracting.

Also, was Adalind that far into her pregnancy? I thought that she was only a few months and not at full-term? 

There is nothing about that pregnancy that made a lick of sense.  All it does is show some really, really bad story crafting on the part of Kouf and Greenwalt.

• Love 4

Wow . . . that was pretty bad. A lot of the dialogue consisted of various characters repeating what happened in incredulous voices. As usual, the writers struggle with giving the characters plausible motivations. Hank, Monroe, and Rosalie don't believe Nick because . . . I got nothing. Nick charges around like a lunatic, which only sort of makes sense if he believes Trubel is in immanent danger, yet he takes time to hang out at the hospital to be with a woman he has good reason to hate. Yeah, it's his kid, but that's a reason to make sure Adelind is safe and that somebody is with her, not a reason why he must be there himself, until Rosalie tells him to go. 

I want Juliette to be alive for two reasons, First, to avoid the dreaded Nick/Adelind pairing or some other godawful Nick-romances-wesen plots. Second, I'm repulsed by the idea that the show would kill off the two adult professional women, leaving only a woman who is literally a fox, a woman who seems to exist only to get pregnant every season, and a male-fantasy badass woman-child. I'm actually quite fond of Rosalie and Trubel, but Rosalie has been marginalized along with Monroe, and Trubel was at her best when interacting with Juliette and it would have been all kinds of cool to see her work with Kelly. That said, I fear that if the show does bring Juliette back, they'll do it in some stupidly contrived way. 

On the positive side, Renard and Meissner are hot. That is all ;-)

• Love 3

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego... ummm... I meant Trubel?

I liked it. But I think this was the first Grimm season premiere that didn't lead to a part 2. Nick being pissed, but nothing earth shaking. I guess the new bad guys of the season killed the group at the end? Adalind had the baby, so glad they weren't going to drag that out for another season, so at least that was accomplished this epsiode.

Juliette is SO alive. No body means not dead in television land.

Yeah, that final claw rip on the screen in the last city shot was cheesy as hell.

• Love 3

I want Juliette to stay dead dead dead dead dead dead. Is that too much to ask? And yeah, I'm a terrible person because I thought the whole Adalind thing would be resolved by both mom & baby dying in the c-section surgery.

Here's hoping at least that the new monster with the scratchy claws is Trubel - because I've always thought it would be way cooler if Grimms were themselves a pet form of Wesen.

Other than that, can never have enough Bud, liked the dark grim(m) atmosphere, and was pissed that Nick discharged his service sidearm when killing some of those guys in the warehouse. Good thing Portland PD can't do forensics.

• Love 4

There's no body.   I ain't believe Juliette is dead until we see her in the coffin with a stake through her heart, her head cut off and her mouth stuffed full of garlic.   And even then that might not be enough.   

Yep, I had my hopes up, but no way is she staying dead. The fact that Nick thought he heard her call him confirms it for me, she's probably stuck somewhere in limbo waiting to be brought back. 

Other than that, I don't like they way they tried to set up this whole new story, of course the FBI agent couldn't just tell Nick the story, even when they found all the bodies. No, we have to have vague clues that make no sense.

• Love 3

I came back after three years solely because Juliette was suppposed to die. The moment she's back (other than as a spirit to say her goodbyes, or as a body to be buried) I'm gone again. Been there, done that.

It was good to see the gang other than in full action like in the season finale. Too bad that it began with grieving Nick pushing people away and his friends doubting him, but I loved them all together interrogating Chavez. I loved Monroe offering his help even though he thought Nick had gone to the deep end, I loved Hank being pissed off that he doubted his partner. Love you guys, missed you!

I always thought that Adalind was interesting, but since she's no Wesen anymore, if her only qualification is "mother of Nick's child" I'm not sure I'll find her more significant as a character as I did Juliet-I'm-the-girlfriend in S1. I also always thought that she at least had chemistry with Nick, although I didn't want them as a couple, but I read about the way the baby was conceived and it makes it difficult to cheer for a relationship, to say the least. Striking a friendship, why not. The after-birth scene was good.

I used to be in Aunt Mary's "Nick needs to be single" camp for the first two seasons, when he discovered he was a Grimm and was dealing with the consequences in his job and life. Now he lost his mother, he lost Juliette, he just had a son, there's a Weisen uprising on the way? Still in the same camp.

I don't know how many seasons the show still has in the future, but if Nick has to have a love interest I think they should think about someone new, someone who didn't wrong him like Adalind or Juliette did. I think that as a character, and with all the shit he went through, Nick deserves better than either of them.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

You know, it never made sense when the Initiative showed up in Sunnydale in Buffy Season 3, and it makes even less sense now. How many magic babies will it take to kill JuliAdam when she gets out of the lab and convinces AdalinSpike to help her destroy PortlanDale?

I thought Bree Turner and David Guintolli were excellent in their grief for Juliette. I hate the baby storyline. It sends the message that rape is ok if it results in a baby. Nick and Adalind have no chemistry but Adalind and Renaud have plenty.

• Love 6

Nick Burkhardt and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Why did Hank, Monroe, et al have such a hard time believing Nick when he told them that Trouble killed Juliette and then someone kidnapped Trouble and took Juliette's body and Kelly's head? Of all the things that have happened to this group of people, THIS is the most unbelievable thing ever?

• Love 9

I agree with all the speculation that Juliette is alive and in the bunker Chavez said was risky. But wouldn't it be fun if the hissing monster was Kelly (mom, not baby) in Medusa mode? The actress is on Limitless right now, but her role is probably small enough that she could do double duty, especially if they CGI her head anyway.

The war is played with chess pieces, and is apparently against Wolverine. I think a Wolverine Army of Chess Players would improve the show greatly, and get it back to its campy roots, when we had Reapers walking around looking all costumey.

Meisner is a good guy, right? So that implies that Chavez is one, too. How would Meisner not be able to tell her Nick's a Grimm, though?? Also, why didn't Nick call 911 for Chavez on HER phone? That would keep him out of the official channels pretty well.

I kept waiting for someone to call Bud and ask if/why/when Trubel left his place.

Sean's still mostly just on the phone, and confined to his tiny little office. At least he was able to walk out from behind his desk at least.

And why does every birth on TV happen so damn fast? In real life, women are in labor for way longer than it takes to scream "THE BABY IS COMING!" And contractions don't start super-intense and super-close together, either.

I usually eat my pancakes with jam instead of syrup, so there's that.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

Kelly....CALLED IT!

Yes, you did, good one.  Maybe it's because some day Nick can present his son Kelly to his mom Kelly.  Because dammit, if Juliette is alive then Kelly better be alive, too.  I can't believe I was foolish enough to think Juliette was really gone.  So now when she is revived/rehabilitated/un-hexened, she can be stepmom.  Great.

I think in show time, she should have been over a year pregnant, since the conception happened on Monroe and Rosalee's wedding day.  Which was in spring, we saw them have Christmas, didn't we? and then lots more time seemed to have passed.  Ridiculous.

Edited by ShadowFacts
  • Love 2

I think you mean Adalind's spawn.  Or do you?  I think there is a good chance it will turn out to be genetically Juliette's...because that's the way the cookie crumbles on this show.

I meant, Analind's. I made the correction. Thanks. The baby might be Juliette's or someone's else completely. The showrunner and writers are so lazy and unimaginative. I hope Claire Coffee does not get pregnant again before the show's end. The only baby that should be on this show next is Monroe and Rosalee's.

Edited by SimoneS

I like Coffee the actress, she used to do funny football blog posts until she started selling overpriced baby stuff. The character, not so much. Every time the character seems to be okay the writers turn her stupid level evil or just stupid for little reason. A joint baby isn't going to help that.

Kelly deserves more than how she went out, and how she is used this epi.

How long til the Juliette is alive reveal?

The evil FBI boss is actually pretty good as a evil boss, the scenery chewing by the Royals was a little in excess even for an urban fantasy show. Who is her 2IC, he looks like someone I have seen in other shows. ETA: I hope she comes back to life.

Edited by Happywatcher

This show loves its babies.

I'm having a brain fart - where is Diana now? She was under Kellly's care, and walked up to Nick's house with her in hand - but I don't remember what happened after that.

Wow . . . that was pretty bad. A lot of the dialogue consisted of various characters repeating what happened in incredulous voices. As usual, the writers struggle with giving the characters plausible motivations. Hank, Monroe, and Rosalie don't believe Nick because . . . I got nothing. 

I want Juliette to be alive for two reasons, First, to avoid the dreaded Nick/Adelind pairing or some other godawful Nick-romances-wesen plots. Second, I'm repulsed by the idea that the show would kill off the two adult professional women, leaving only a woman who is literally a fox, a woman who seems to exist only to get pregnant every season, and a male-fantasy badass woman-child. 

boy, I just watched it and forgot details already - but didn't Hank come to the house and see it in pristine condition (no blood, nothing out of place)? That would make me doubt Nick's story if I were him.

Rosalee owns a store, which makes her a professional woman and her expertise has been key many times. Juliette was supposed to be one, but except for a few times in the first (maybe second) seasons, there was little reference to her profession (though it was one which could have been useful). I'll grant Adelind, who was a lawyer for goodness sake, has been reduced to a baby popping machine. 

And why does every birth on TV happen so damn fast? In real life, women are in labor for way longer than it takes to scream "THE BABY IS COMING!" And contractions don't start super-intense and super-close together, either.

*ahem* it's out of the ordinary - and TV does use it too often - but I delivered my first child in 45 minutes, beginning with my water breaking and then going into intense, seemingly non-stop contractions. I call it my "Rodney Dangerfield" delivery - because I never got any respect from other women whose labors were way longer. My second was actually faster. I was fortunate that they were both late at night, so traffic was light. So, for me, it's kind of nice to see "my" labor experience portrayed. 

And finally, the moment Nick woke up and there was no body - I thought "damn you show, Juliette better be dead! You promised me!"

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

You know, it never made sense when the Initiative showed up in Sunnydale in Buffy Season 3, and it makes even less sense now. How many magic babies will it take to kill JuliAdam when she gets out of the lab and convinces AdalinSpike to help her destroy PortlanDale?

They would take 1 of Buffy's weakest storylines.

I'm having a brain fart - where is Diana now? She was under Kellly's care, and walked up to Nick's house with her in hand - but I don't remember what happened after that.

She was with the Royals and then I think 1 of the Resistance people took her,  after that, Idk.  They're passing her around like a hot potato.

boy, I just watched it and forgot details already - but didn't Hank come to the house and see it in pristine condition (no blood, nothing out of place)? That would make me doubt Nick's story if I were him.

It was pristine, beyond belief for me, but Nick had been drugged so Hank should have realized the clean-up could have occurred then.  Besides, Hank and the gang have dealt with all manner of weirdness from long exposure to Wesen, royals, Verrat, et al.  And they know Nick and his temperament very well.  I would think they would have put a tad more faith in him. 

*ahem* it's out of the ordinary - and TV does use it too often - but I delivered my first child in 45 minutes, beginning with my water breaking and then going into intense, seemingly non-stop contractions. I call it my "Rodney Dangerfield" delivery - because I never got any respect from other women whose labors were way longer. My second was actually faster. I was fortunate that they were both late at night, so traffic was light. So, for me, it's kind of nice to see "my" labor experience portrayed.

Let's face it, it's way more dramatic to depict someone rushing to the hospital.  Someone progressing over 24 hours (not that I would know, well actually, yes), it just doesn't pack the same punch.  I think it would have been good to just have Bud be there for the labor and delivery, and Nick show up for the naming. 

• Love 1

I'm so excited this show is back. I love all it, magic babies and all.

I thought the screaming person locked in the basement was Trubel. I don't want Juliette to come back. I actually liked her character but I prefer when shows have real consequences for the characters' decisions. The group did know that messing with that spell was going to have consequences and Aunt Marie warned Nick that Juliette would be in danger if she stayed. I want them to be stuck with the consequences of their decisions and then have to deal with them. I don't like when writers do take backs. It's lame.

As for Adelind, eh. I've watched a lot of Dragonball. I am used to storylines that go from 'Character X is the most evil person we've ever faced and tried to kill the Hero and destroy the world' to 'Character X is a valued member of the team and is a better father to the Hero's son than the Hero could ever be.' I'm cool with Adelind joining the team. I'm confused if she's Hexenbeist anymore. I can't remember. Did she take a potion that took away her powers or just suppressed them? If she just suppressed them, I'm betting she'll get her powers back by the end of this season. 

• Love 2

I liked the cliffhanger aspects - the writers don't let you understand who the people who burst into his house to remove dead bodies were, and what they were motivated by. The downside was having to crunch so many things together, such as birth + conflict with Chavez. I realize this is a fantasy show and you shouldn't require realism in fantasy.

Meisner is probably a good guy because we know that he threw Renard's unpleasant father from the airplane. (I guess the show wasn't concerned with who the new leadership for the Austro-Hungarian royalty is yet).

I want to know if Meisner is wesen, and whether he was holding Trubel in a cell, and why.

Why was Chavez leading him to a fight at an abandoned creepy warehouse (does the show keep using the same one, north of Portland along the Columbia river? for it's photogenic aspects). Why didn't they have a conversation in the car on the way explaining more about why they were going there.

Edited by ottilie

The last time we saw Diana, she was with Meissner and looked very happy about it.  So I guess either he still has her or maybe he gave her to Chavez's group if they're part of the Resistance.  It doesn't make sense, though, since as another poster already mentioned, the Resistance knows Nick is a Grimm, so Chavez should have had that information if she were a member.  WTF?  So confused.  Chavez and/or the Resistance not knowing about Trubel makes more sense but Nick, not so much.

And finally, the moment Nick woke up and there was no body - I thought "damn you show, Juliette better be dead! You promised me!"

I know!  I have no idea what's going on but they sure are making it look like they're going back on what they said.  Of course, after last season and how much I ended up hating Juliette, I really wouldn't have been happy unless we got long, lingering shots of her dead body with a grief-wracked Nick beside it, then scenes of Trubel burning it to make sure it doesn't re-animate.  Just to get confirmation!

• Love 2