Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I usually like Leo so ok enough but mostly happy  the Leo deserves a Oscar rants can be over now.

How has no one mentioned Do-si-dos?

Anyway I am pretty sure people paid $20, $50, $100  for those boxes I doubt they were asking for change.

Yeah, Do-si-Dos are awsome.  And I'm addicted to the thin mints, I'll eat a whole stack of them at a time.  Good thing these cookies are only sold once a year.

Getting it back on topic, I didn't watch the whole thing, probably about an hour or so's worth.  I liked Rock's monologue for the most part.  Actually one of his jokes that made me laugh the most wasn't directly related to the black issue, it was when he related it to why do they separate acting categories into men and women.  And how it's not like sports where males are physically superior to women, it's not like DeNiro says, "My acting's too fast, I have to slow it down so Meryl Streep can keep up".  And I was also glad DiCaprio won, even though that was pretty anti-climactic.  He's made a lot of great movies over the years, and seems to be an all-around good guy.  So props to him.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3

I thought Chris Rock's monologue was a perfect balance of acknowledging the problem but calling out overreactions, and was very funny and sharp. 

I agree. Obviously, he's gonna go for the dagger, but I'm glad he also addressed the overreactions from the other side, most notably from the Smiths, acting like the Oscars are the ever-important barometer of equality, or inequality, for that matter. Like the Coen brothers said, the Oscars are not that important. 

And on a side note, I didn't know Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander are a couple!

• Love 3

I agree. Obviously, he's gonna go for the dagger, but I'm glad he also addressed the overreactions from the other side, most notably from the Smiths, acting like the Oscars are the ever-important barometer of equality, or inequality, for that matter. Like the Coen brothers said, the Oscars are not that important. 

But did he really go for the dagger? He spent a pile of time taking digs at Jada for having a problem with the nominations but he didn't really call the academy to task for not nominating any POC. Its not just Will who was snubbed (though I do think if Will had been nominated, Jada wouldn't have said a thing) but Idris Elba, Abraham Attah, Cary Fukunaga for Beasts of No Nation, Ryan Coogler, Michael B. Jordan and Tessa Thompson for Creed, Mya Taylor for Tangerine, Benicio Del Toro for Sicario, Jason Mitchell, Corey Hawkins, O'Shea Jackson Jr. and F. Gary Gray for Straight Outta Compton and probably so many more I don't even know about because those films never got the promotion and support they deserved. Chris Rock made this a black vs white issue while dragging out kids to perform an Asian stereotype joke. The only person who talked about other POC was that guy in the movie theater clip who brought up Asians and Latinos as needing representation. (And yes, Chris put that in there so he gets a bit of credit for that moment, but there was no need for him to leave out other minorities when talking about diversity.)

He called the Academy racist, but assured them it wasn't the real type of racism and told them that the people complaining were overreacting or self-serving. I think Chris Rock didn't say much by way of dagger.

• Love 3

Its not that I think Til It Happens to You is an especially good song, but the idea that any of the other songs lost to Writings on the Wall is a joke. When that song came out it was panned, barely hit the charts and people thought when it leaked it was a joke to protect the actual song. Its truly the worst Best Original Song I can think, full stop. Even the songs that didn't deserve their wins (hey Randy Newman, I'm looking at that time you beat I See the Light) weren't barely listenable. There's just no structure to Writings on the Wall or a hook that I can hear. I can't remember another winner of this award that was so bad.

• Love 5

I'll sit with you on this one. I didn't hate Gaga's performance (although I tend not to look at singers when they're performing because there's a reason most of these people are famous for their sound and not their visuals), but it's a terrible song. I didn't love Sam Smith either and I'm pretty sure only dogs could hear some of those notes, but I thought Til It Happens To You was the weakest song of the pack.

I'll join both of you. I didnt really like any of the songs preformed. The survivors standing on stage was powerful but I didn't care for the song or Gaga's performance of it. I thought this was a pretty weak year for Best Song.

I agree that Writing on the Wall is a bad best song winner but I think the other two would be as well.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 6

Normally I find Chris Rock to be overrated, but I really enjoyed him as host.

Loved DiCaprio and Innaritu winning, but was disappointed that The Revenant lost out to Spotlight. I haven't seen Spotlight, and while I imagine it is probably pretty good, I seriously doubt I will enjoy it more than The Revenant.

Also have to love Mad Max: Fury Road being the big winner of the night with 6 Oscars, even if none were in the major categories.

And on the shallow end, I found Margot Robbie, Charlize Theron, Cate Blanchett and, as always, Naomi Watts, to be the big winners on the red carpet.

• Love 1

I like Stallone and I'm sad he lost, but I really didn't think his performance was Oscar worthy.  If he had won, it certainly would have been because of sentiment. While Mark Rylance was good, my personal choice would have been Tom Hardy.  The dude is just awesome and really gives it his all in everything I've seen him in.  Stallone joins a number of other "last chance"  sentimental favourites like Lauren Bacall and Peter O'Toole (and others I am sure I am missing) who would likely never get another chance at an Oscar again.  On the plus side, Jessica Tandy and Christopher Plummer got theirs.

Deserved actresses with long careers who I would like to see win an Oscar one day:  Michelle Pfeiffer, Glenn Close, Sigourney Weaver.  Big stars in their prime, multiple nominations, never won.  I haven't seen much from any of them lately in terms of "Oscar bait" roles.  Perhaps they have unfortunately aged out of consideration.  Or perhaps one day they will become the sentimental favourite nominee.

Sam Smith thinks he is the first gay winner, but others have pointed out a few.  What about Jared Leto?  Isn't he gay?  I think he brought what looked like a boyfriend as his date?  I thought Kevin Spacey is gay too.

Chris Rock was fantastic.  I wouldn't mind seeing him host again in the future.

My vote is for Lemonades. I could devour a box of those quite easily. 

Not familiar with those, although they could be called something else depending on location.  I do like the Savannah Smiles (the lemon wedge cookie with powdered sugar) although my favourite was the the lemon sandwich cookie which I no longer see and assume was discontinued.  I noticed in a picture of Aaron Rodgers and the scintillating Olivia Munn that Aaron too prefers the Savannah Smiles!

• Love 1

He called the Academy racist, but assured them it wasn't the real type of racism and told them that the people complaining were overreacting or self-serving. I think Chris Rock didn't say much by way of dagger.

Because I think what his original point was has been missed.  There are more important things to be worrying about than who got nominated for a film.  The going feeling lately seems to be The Oscars are nothing but a bunch of self-serving assholes congratulating themselves about what fabulous human beings they are anyway.  The over-reaction to them being overly white was a little ridiculous and Jada was leading the charge for something she wasn't even included in.  Even Will didn't seem too chapped by it to be honest.  Of all the things she could've gotten up on a soapbox about, this seemed really superficial.

But he did let them know it was kinda fucked up.  He got his digs in without making it seem like it was so earth shatteringly important that people boycotted.  If you ask me, he walked that line rather well.  

It was a night full of "Ok, in the grand scheme of things this is not important...understood.  But really?" and I enjoyed how he didn't rant about it.  The Academy seems to get they need to diversify, or so it seemed from that lady's speech.  I'm willing to give them a chance to get their shit together.

It's just movies.  I mean, like Rock said, it's hard to care about who wins for Best Musical Score when some asshole up on Capitol Hill is debating the definition of rape.

That being said, I was down for every single slam on Donald Trump.  Every.single.one.

• Love 17

I was really over Mad Max taking every technical award but got a good chuckle when Ex Machina managed to sneak in there for something. You just know the Mad Max team was halfway out their seats when that result was read.

The schadenfreude becomes even more exquisite when you imagine what went on in the head of the individual (or team of individuals) who failed to win that award for Mad Max. "Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!?!? Every other craft on this f**kin' picture gets an Oscar but not me????"

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

I realize a number of excellent performances are not nominated each year because they only have the five slots.  Some years it can be tough to fill a category but most years there are more than five great performances.  The issue I had with the show last night was there really wasn't an acknowledgement that the actors that did get nominated deserved their nominations.  I don't think there was a clunker in the bunch this year.  So yes, it doesn't make sense that not a single nominee was black the past two years, but the sharp focus on that alone dismisses the performances that were nominated.  Obviously if Idris Elba was nominated, someone else wouldn't have been.  I just wish Chris Rock had at least one comment that wishing more black actors were represented doesn't mean the people that were nominated didn't deserve it.    Maybe that's too fine a distinction to expect from an awards show.

• Love 9
Sam Smith said that there was no openly gay person who's won the Oscars before, if I'm remembering his speech correctly. But wasn't that writer for Milk who won some years ago openly gay?

Sam Smith is an idiot. You'd think that one would actually make sure that what you were about to say in front of millions was accurate, but nah. He just started spewing a random tidbit he read in a magazine once, that he actually got wrong, and in the process kind of disrespected all of the gay men who HAVE won Oscars before by making it sound as though they never existed. (Here's the run down on what Sir Ian actually said.)

I actually squealed when Spotlight won, and I'm glad I kept the TV on long enough to enjoy a little Fight the Power. 

• Love 2

But did he really go for the dagger? He spent a pile of time taking digs at Jada for having a problem with the nominations but he didn't really call the academy to task for not nominating any POC. Its not just Will who was snubbed (though I do think if Will had been nominated, Jada wouldn't have said a thing) but Idris Elba, Abraham Attah, Cary Fukunaga for Beasts of No Nation, Ryan Coogler, Michael B. Jordan and Tessa Thompson for Creed, Mya Taylor for Tangerine, Benicio Del Toro for Sicario, Jason Mitchell, Corey Hawkins, O'Shea Jackson Jr. and F. Gary Gray for Straight Outta Compton and probably so many more I don't even know about because those films never got the promotion and support they deserved. Chris Rock made this a black vs white issue while dragging out kids to perform an Asian stereotype joke. The only person who talked about other POC was that guy in the movie theater clip who brought up Asians and Latinos as needing representation. (And yes, Chris put that in there so he gets a bit of credit for that moment, but there was no need for him to leave out other minorities when talking about diversity.)

I think he did. Towards the end of his monologue, or 3/4s way in, he said something to the effect that it's not like they're asking for a POC to be nominated each year, which would result in filling a quota more than actually recognizing the best. But that he asked that there should be more opportunities for POC to be in good movies and/or get great roles compared to their white counterparts. He correctly called out Hollywood for Leo getting great parts seemingly every year, but what about POC? Then he mentioned as an example, what about Jamie Foxx (but I don't know if he missed the small irony that Leo actually lost to Jamie Foxx that Oscars year). I dunno what Jamie Foxx is up to these days, but I think that was a good point.

Of course, he cannot mention all of the people who have been snubbed. Like you said, there's just too many to fit in the telecast. He gave a shout-out to Michael B. Jordan as someone who should have been nominated. And I think he also correctly pointed out that by saying a lot of POC have been snubbed, is also akin to saying that those who were actually nominated didn't deserve their nomination. So Idris Elba got snubbed, sure, but in place of Idris, who should have been removed? Tom Hardy? Mark Ruffalo? How about Abraham Attah, who should have been removed so he can get in? Maybe they should have made it six nominees instead? And what about the white people who have been snubbed who maybe also deserved a nomination? Johnny Depp? Jacob Tremblay? Of course, no one's crying for them because they're white, regardless of whether they did deserve a spot because they were among the best in their category.

• Love 9
Sam Smith thinks he is the first gay winner, but others have pointed out a few.  What about Jared Leto?  Isn't he gay?  I think he brought what looked like a boyfriend as his date?  I thought Kevin Spacey is gay too.

Kevin Spacey is pretty darned guarded about his private life, I think, so it's a big stretch to call him "openly gay." Elton John (1995ish Best Song winner for "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"), on the other hand...

Chris Rock's continued tiny jabs about the racism (after noting that there are much bigger race issues to worry about than who is given a gold statue) reminded me of this West Wing exchange about robes in the locker rooms:

Claudia Jean 'C.J.' Cregg: In the women's locker room.

Sam Seaborn: But not the men's.

Claudia Jean 'C.J.' Cregg: Yeah.

Sam Seaborn: Now, that's outrageous. There's a thousand men working here and 50 women.

Claudia Jean 'C.J.' Cregg: Yeah, and it's the *bathrobes* that's outrageous.

• Love 6

I have seen Spotlight and was delighted it won Best Picture.  Was also delighted to see Mark Rylance win, as I loved his work in Wolf Hall (yes, I know) and was glad his talent was recognized for something, FINALLY. 

I guess it was finally time for DiCaprio, and I don't begrudge him his Oscar, but I think Michael Fassbender is due, or way overdue.  He's awesome.

I always enjoy the Oscars, although having ABC own them gets kind of boring as they trot out all their up and coming new shows for advertising and I was disappointed that E wasn't allowed to conduct the red carpet interviews, as I just did NOT enjoy the ABC news team.  I loved (and have always loved) Chris Rock and thought he did well. 

• Love 1

I thought Kevin Spacey is gay too.

Well, Sam Smith did say openly gay, so there's that. 

Sam Smith is an idiot. You'd think that one would actually make sure that what you were about to say in front of millions was accurate, but nah. He just started spewing a random tidbit he read in a magazine once, that he actually got wrong, and in the process kind of disrespected all of the gay men who HAVE won Oscars before by making it sound as though they never existed. (Here's the run down on what Sir Ian actually said.)

Well, he did say "even if that wasn't the case...". But still, if you're not sure, then don't say it at all. Just stick with the "This is for all the LGBT people in the world..." speech. 

• Love 2

Kevin Spacey is pretty darned guarded about his private life, I think, so it's a big stretch to call him "openly gay." Elton John (1995ish Best Song winner for "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"), on the other hand...

The best part about all that was Sam Smith probably was invited to Sir Elton's famous post-Oscar party. Imagine walking in there after saying that in front of millions.

Because I think what his original point was has been missed.  There are more important things to be worrying about than who got nominated for a film.  The going feeling lately seems to be The Oscars are nothing but a bunch of self-serving assholes congratulating themselves about what fabulous human beings they are anyway.  The over-reaction to them being overly white was a little ridiculous and Jada was leading the charge for something she wasn't even included in.  Even Will didn't seem too chapped by it to be honest.  Of all the things she could've gotten up on a soapbox about, this seemed really superficial.

But he did let them know it was kinda fucked up.  He got his digs in without making it seem like it was so earth shatteringly important that people boycotted.  If you ask me, he walked that line rather well.  

It was a night full of "Ok, in the grand scheme of things this is not important...understood.  But really?" and I enjoyed how he didn't rant about it.  The Academy seems to get they need to diversify, or so it seemed from that lady's speech.  I'm willing to give them a chance to get their shit together.

It's just movies.  I mean, like Rock said, it's hard to care about who wins for Best Musical Score when some asshole up on Capitol Hill is debating the definition of rape.

That being said, I was down for every single slam on Donald Trump.  Every.single.one.

And maybe that's just me being me, but I hate the idea that people can only worry about one issue at a time. Yes, there are more important things in the world than the Oscars, but they are still important and even if they were the People's Choice Awards, people can still be upset about a trend in the nominees and winners while worrying about bigger issues. There's a reason they shut down streets, every other network cowers with crappy counter-programming and people talk about the Oscars. They matter in terms of how society views what movies are important or good. When people talk about classic movies today, we point to the ones that were rewarded and celebrated. No one is checking for "Alexander's Ragtime Band" or "Cinerama Holiday" despite those films each being the highest grossing the year they came out. People remember "You Can't Take It With You" or "Marty." I don't think "Quo Vadis" is a celebrated movie. Certainly not compared to "An American in Paris" or "A Place in the Sun" or "The African Queen" or "A Streetcar Named Desire." They all came out the same year and while Quo Vadis had the bigger box office, those other movies won Oscars. It matters. Not as much as Flint or the Presidential race or the Syrian Refugee Crisis, but it still matters and I think acting like it doesn't is wrong.

Acting like representation doesn't matter because there are other issues is just ignoring why representation matters. It helps audiences understand viewpoints that are different from their own. It lets audiences see performers who are different from them and grow to care about them. It gives a voice to people who haven't traditionally gotten to tell their story. It sounds hokey but when you never see yourself anywhere, seeing yourself on the big screen gives you hope and that hope can lead to incredible things and not just in the movies. So yes, Jada did seem self-serving, but the larger community calling for more diversity comes from a place of wanting to provide opportunity and hope to people who are often marginalized.

• Love 12

No white Girl Scouts. Reverend Al is going to protest, right?

BWAHAAAAAAAA!!!   I came across something which said he hand picked the Girl Scouts.   So using the assumption that the SoCal Council has a Compton troop, to paraphrase a Violaism, you can't win badges for roles that don't include you.   I should get in touch with them, I've stalked all the cookie moms I know and haven't been able to find ToffeTastics anywhere.

No Abe Vigoda?

I thought in Memorium was beginning to end of calendar year, no?  If not, it's bad form not to include him, but Abe Vigoda died in January 2016.  I have no idea where I was when Alan Rickman's death was announced, that sucker punched me.

There is almost no universe where I would be sympathetic to the moron Stacey Dash. I'd almost be OK with her if I thought her self hating ideas were her original thoughts, but it's clear that her statements are someone else's filtered through her atrophied gray matter.

She and I graduated in the same high school class.  I can tell you with certainty that she was made for the role she played in Clueless. 

Edited by ZaldamoWilder
  • Love 5

Well, Sam Smith did say openly gay, so there's that. 

Well, he did say "even if that wasn't the case...". But still, if you're not sure, then don't say it at all. Just stick with the "This is for all the LGBT people in the world..." speech. 

Sam Smith also wasn't the first openly gay person to win an Oscar either, so it was basically a complete gaffe on multiple levels. I agree, if he really wanted to say something about LGBT people and not make it about himself, he should have just left out the "first" part.

Apparently he dug the hole even deeper backstage, when one a reporter mentioned Howard Ashman having won in 1991. Sam made some joke about how he and Howard should date. (Howard Ashman died of AIDS and wasn't even alive to receive his Oscar...) 

• Love 5

Apparently he dug the hole even deeper backstage, when one a reporter mentioned Howard Ashman having won in 1991. Sam made some joke about how he and Howard should date. (Howard Ashman died of AIDS and wasn't even alive to receive his Oscar...) 

Jesus, one facepalm after another.

Also, Dustin Black, the writer for Milk whom I referred to in an earlier post, wasn't too happy about the gaffe either, and all the more because it was personal to him. Apparently, Sam Smith has been texting Dustin's fiancee. So Dusitn told him to stay away from his man. 

• Love 2

I forgot to mention that I absolutely loved Dave Grohl's "In Memoriam" song tribute.  That's how you do it.

Oh, and The Revenant should have won Best Picture.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
I thought in Memorium was beginning to end of calendar year, no?  If not, it's bad form not to include him, but Abe Vigoda died in January 2016.  I have no idea where I was when Alan Rickman's death was announced, that sucker punched me.

Alan Rickman and David Bowie's deaths were both before Abe Vigoda's. I don't remember exact dates for any of them, but I remember being gobsmacked by how many of my cultural icons were lost in January (Natalie Cole, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Glenn Frey, Abe Vigoda...) Vigoda's absence was even more pronounced to me because of seeing the Godfather clip they used for Alex Rocco.

• Love 1

ari333, that Stacey Dash appearance was the epitome of someone not realizing that people are laughing AT her and not WITH her. I think the *crickets* were a combination of much of the audience not knowing her (which is poetic in itself) and the remainder being stunned that she would have the audacity to participate in that bit. But I think audacity may be giving her too much credit.

Kevin Spacey is gay? Where have I been??

• Love 3

Iam SOOOO glad Sly didn't win. He's not that good an actor.

If Peter F'g Toole couldn't win out umpteen times, if Harrison Ford doesn't have an Oscar, and if Michael Keaton & Bill Murray got schelacked, then by NO RIGHTS should Sylvester Stallone have one.

• Love 7

Ok, on a superficial level, what was up with Spielberg's wife's hair, makeup, snd face? She used to look great. (I am blanking on her name...Kate? )

Capshaw.   Bangs from Supercuts or she did herself.  Either way.  Not good.

Alan Rickman and David Bowie's deaths were both before Abe Vigoda's. I don't remember exact dates for any of them, but I remember being gobsmacked by how many of my cultural icons were lost in January (Natalie Cole, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Glenn Frey, Abe Vigoda...) Vigoda's absence was even more pronounced to me because of seeing the Godfather clip they used for Alex Rocco.

All this just confirms that they suck. 

ari333, that Stacey Dash appearance was the epitome of someone not realizing that people are laughing AT her and not WITH her. I think the *crickets* were a combination of much of the audience not knowing her (which is poetic in itself) and the remainder being stunned that she would have the audacity to participate in that bit. But I think audacity may be giving her too much credit.

She still has no idea why that was awkward as hell.  Bless her heart.

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned upthread, but I think it bears repeating- Jacob Tremblay and his parents are too adorable for words. I haven't seen Room, so I can't speak to the young man's acting talent, but he and his parents seemed very pleasant during the bits I saw of them. 

• Love 4

David: Jan 10th

Alan: Jan 14th

Abe: Jan 26th

Abe was later, but it was still over a month ago.

Sam needs to stop talking.

Ashman did win an Oscar before he died and one after he died ("Under the Sea" in 1989 and "Beauty and the Beast" in 1991).

I am thrilled that Spotlight won for best picture, and that Mark Rylance won for his wonderful performance in Bridge of Spies. (I would have been happy with a Mark Ruffalo win as well). I don't care about Leo one way or the other. I did love a comment I read today though that last night he was playing the part of someone who is an expert on climate change - lol. Many Canadians, myself included, gave him the side eye when he described the 'terrifying' evidence he saw of climate change while filming The Renevant in Alberta when in fact what he was witnessing was a perfectly normal weather condition called a Chinook. In any case I will take Leo seriously when he stops flying on private jets and holidaying on mega yachts. I detest when Hollyweird elites preach to us little people.

I thought Chris Rock did a pretty good job, though I do think carrying the diversity problem through the whole show diluted the cause a bit. The best part though was his dissing of the insufferable Jada so that was a big plus in my book.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 6

I don't care about Leo one way or the other. I did love a comment I read today though that last night he was playing the part of someone who is an expert on climate change - lol. Many Canadians, myself included, gave him the side eye when he described the 'terrifying' evidence he saw of climate change while filming The Renevant in Alberta when in fact what he was witnessing was a perfectly normal weather condition called a Chinook. In any case I will take Leo seriously when he stops flying on private jets and holidaying on mega yachts. I detest when Hollywierd elites preach to us little people.

And, wasn't it like April by the time they had to move the production to Argentina? We have spring in Canada. That's normal. Maybe if they hadn't taken a 6 week break for Christmas, they would have had enough snow to complete the shoot in Alberta. But again, this just goes back to my problem with Inarritu winning when the production was a disaster.

• Love 4

I liked the man in the street bit, asking black people movie questions like did they recognize some of the best picture nominees, and none of them knowing any of those movies.  It was funny because I think you'd get the same response from most people.  If I was asked, it would be, "Spotlight...huh?", "Danish Girl" *shrug*.  It was more of a humbling commentary on how Hollywood thinks it's a much bigger deal than it really is.

• Love 8

Im a doofus. I still don't understand Stacy Dash and the black history month thing. There were *crickets*

In response to the controversy about the lack of diversity in this year's nominations, Stacy was on some FOX News show saying that if black people really want diversity, then they need to get rid of the BET awards and Black History Month because otherwise, they're being hypocrites. No idea why she thinks Black History Month has anything to do with award shows, but as others have noted upthread, Stacey is not a deep thinker. The joke of having her come out and wish everyone a Happy Black History Month bombed for a couple of reasons, I think. The majority of the people there didn't get it because for the most part no one knows and no one cares what Stacy Dash has to say about anything. And the people who did get it didn't think it was funny because they were just disgusted that she was there at all.

• Love 6

Jacob Tremblay is adorable, and I don't mean to be mean, but I hope we don't see him again for another few years until his voice deepens a bit more.  I get it, he's just a kid right now but as he was making the rounds during awards season, that high-pitched squeaking just got on my nerves. 

Many Canadians, myself included, gave him the side eye when he described the 'terrifying' evidence he saw of climate change while filming The Renevant in Alberta when in fact what he was witnessing was a perfectly normal weather condition called a Chinook. 

Thank you. Honestly, between this and the "we couldn't film in April due to a lack of snow" bullshit, I just about threw my remote control at the tv. Climate change is most definitely real, but stop talking out of your ass you moron. He proved himself to be totally ignorant of the weather in Alberta, we actually do get spring, including the mountains, scorchingly hot weather and some seriously scary tornados. It's not just snow and ice 24/7.  Dumbass.

Edited by briochetwist
  • Love 5

Abe Vigoda could easily have been included in the In Memoriam segment. They included Harold Ramis in the 2014 telecast's segment, even though he died on February 24th, and the Oscars aired on March 2nd.

As for Chris Rock, I was annoyed at first, when he addressed the diversity controversy by basically saying it didn't matter. It may not be a direct matter of life and death, but lack of representation in popular entertainment is a big deal - and the only reason the Academy is taking efforts to address it is because people started making a big deal about it.

But then he skewered the other side of the controversy, too - like when he said that Hollywood is "sorority racist," which was a great line.

My biggest complaint about him was that he made it sound like the diversity issue is only about the number of roles for black actors.

Sam Smith thinks he is the first gay winner, but others have pointed out a few.  What about Jared Leto?  Isn't he gay?  I think he brought what looked like a boyfriend as his date?  I thought Kevin Spacey is gay too.

Spacey's sexual orientation is Hollywood's worst kept secret, but he isn't openly gay. And Leto very much appears to be straight.

There's never been an openly gay male actor who's won an Oscar (unless you count John Gielgud - but he wasn't publicly out, so I don't see why some people count him.) Sam Smith somehow mangled that into thinking that no openly gay man had ever won in any category before.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 4

Im a doofus. I still don't understand Stacy Dash and the black history month thing. There were *crickets*

Yeah when she came out and did that you could literally hear a pin drop.  She managed to top David Letterman's "Uma/Oprah" for most awkward Oscar moment ever.  I don't know how they thought that wouldn't bomb.  This was an ultra liberal Hollywood celebrity audience, for one.  And I get she was going for irony, but there's funny irony and...not so funny.

BWAHAAAAAAAA!!!   I came across something which said he hand picked the Girl Scouts.   So using the assumption that the SoCal Council has a Compton troop, to paraphrase a Violaism, you can't win badges for roles that don't include you.   I should get in touch with them, I've stalked all the cookie moms I know and haven't been able to find ToffeTastics anywhere.

Is it just me, or did those girl scouts seem awfully big?  They looked like high school seniors.  Girl scouts are around 9-11.  I saw one last weekend, she was just a little thing.

Edited by Dobian

Since cookies were sold at the Oscars, I guess this is on topic, but many have taken to selling cookies for various troops on eBay, if you can't find or don't know a Girl Scout. It's how I got my Samoas/Tagalongs fix. And they were fresh.

I remember the days I did the cookie-selling thing for Girl Scouts (early '80s), and the selection wasn't half as good as it is now!

Although Samoas used to be just the shortbread cookies with the fudge stripes with the fudge on back. So it definitely improved over time!

• Love 2

Jacob Tremblay is adorable, and I don't mean to be mean, but I hope we don't see him again for another few years until his voice deepens a bit more.  I get it, he's just a kid right now but as he was making the rounds during awards season, that high-pitched squeaking just got on my nerves. 

I found him a little too damn precious for my taste.  I know he's young and out-going and in a very unique, exciting position . . . . I need to not see or hear him for awhile.  I haven't seen Room yet.  I'm not sure I can take 2 hours of him.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 2

I found him a little too damn precious for my taste.  I know he's young and out-going and in a very unique, exciting position . . . . I need to not see or hear him for awhile.  I haven't seen Room yet.  I'm not sure I can take 2 hours of him.  

I can see how too much of him could get on people's nerves, but I do think he was robbed of a nomination for acting in Room. He did a better job than Brie, and certainly seemed to be playing a kid very different than his own personality.

• Love 2

My biggest complaint about him was that he made it sound like the diversity issue is only about the number of roles for black actors.

But that was what the fuss was all about, isn't it? No black actor nominees in the acting category. Who cares about the other awards?! The important ones are just the acting awards. *smirk*

Obviocusly, no one's going to complain about diversity in the Directing category because Innaritu was there. And I'm guessing the Smiths and others who complained on surface level alone don't give a shit about whether there's diversity in the writing, visual effects, hair/makeup, etc. categories. 

But I do get what you're saying. The issue goes far beyond as just having roles. What about pay? Maybe that isn't an important issue as just being able to participate.

I'm glad though that Chris Rock did touch a point about separating men and women categories as precursor to just having separate black categories as well. I mean, I get why there's Best Actor and Best Actress, but he does have a point as well. That part about DeNiro slowing down so Streep can catch up had me laughing. 

• Love 4

I thought Gaga's performance was powerful, particularly with the survivors on stage.  However, I didn't think the song was all that good.  I hadn't heard it before, but it just seemed like the song repeated the one line over and over and over again.  It seemed an overall weak year for songs.  I had only heard of two of them before, and while the song by the Weekend should have won (imo), I just knew that voters couldn't let an academy award be associated in any way with Fifty Shades of Grey.

• Love 4

After reflecting on the show, I've decided my favorite moment was at the very end when Chris Rock was saying goodbye.  Not only did Morgan Freeman and Michael Keaton walk right over and take the cookies for themselves (as all of us would) but Keaton then stood there* like a tough guy all "yeah I took your cookies, what are you gonna do about it, huh?"

*Obviously he was just waiting for Rock to finish so they could chat/catch up but I still found it hilarious.

• Love 5
(edited)

But that was what the fuss was all about, isn't it? No black actor nominees in the acting category. Who cares about the other awards?! The important ones are just the acting awards. *smirk*

I'm glad though that Chris Rock did touch a point about separating men and women categories as precursor to just having separate black categories as well. I mean, I get why there's Best Actor and Best Actress, but he does have a point as well. That part about DeNiro slowing down so Streep can catch up had me laughing. 

What I think the poster was referring to is how Chris Rock basically reduced "Diversity in Hollywood" to a black vs. white issue, when as evidenced by last night, it's not just that black actors aren't being represented. In terms of race, you have Latinos, Asians and a host of others who are excluded. Except for a punchline, such as that Asian/Jewish accountant joke. 

But beyond that, there was a real opportunity for a dialogue beyond even just race. Hollywood is home to quite a few inequities: race, gender, sexual orientation. I mean, we need look no further than the handling of Best Original Song. The two nominated songs that were excluded from being performed? A trans female and an Asian woman. While I'm not going to say it was bigotry that prevented their songs from being performed (I think it was simply because the Oscar producers only care about ratings), but it certainly speaks to how Hollywood and the Academy aren't really giving voice to other minorities who aren't black.

Edited by KFC
  • Love 8