Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ellen went over fine last year in the room; maybe the crowd just doesn't like NPH. His turn at Emmys wasn't that well regarded and the Oscars are a much tougher audience.

I don't like when they don't use movie clips for the In Memoriam segment.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 4

The choice to do this watercolor/sketch tribute was lovely. It's more romantic and somehow more poignant. Also, it's nice to not have the distraction of a performer. I hope they don't ruin it by singling out people to pay tribute to later.

• Love 9

TCM creates the most amazing Memorium videos every single year - why can't the Oscars ever get anywhere close to their perfection?

I'll never understand. The TCM crew somehow manages to weaves the real movie clips and pictures together while playing amazing and heart breaking music that just fits the tone so well. And they devote a good bit of time to doing so as well. I feel like the Oscars' just rush the names and pictures past too fast.

ETA:

And now Jennifer is belting at me...oy.

The pictures were nicely done just too short a segment compared to all the other crap from tonight. Way way too short, and why couldn't some clips have been played as well? From some of the best movies ever made in that soulless town by some of the best performers to ever live?

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 11

Do they still show cartoons at the movies?

"Feast", the animated short that just won the Oscar was shown at theaters along with "Big Hero 6"

Well, Big Hero 6 won and that's technically a superhero movie.

And a Marvel connection. Heck, animated Stan Lee appeared in the coda!

As to Patricia Arquette getting "political" in her acceptance speech: Oscar presentations in the 1960s and 1970s were full of award recipients making political statements.

• Love 7

The In Memoriam was very well-done.  They needed to figure out if they were going to silence it or not. The occasional clapping was disconcerting. 

Great voice but I'm just not a fan of J-Hud...

Having Meryl Streep do the In Memoriam presentation is just wrong.  I know she's nominated this year, but someone of her stature should be presenting best picture or director.

Please go away Jennifer Hudson.  One of the least deserving winners from the past decade and that's saying a lot considering who has won an Oscar.

• Love 3

There are always the ones I remember who passed away (Robin Williams, of course), but every year, I reminded of somewhat I forgot, that hits me just as hard.  This time, it was James Rebhorn, who was one of those character actors I always enjoyed seeing (I remember him best as the slimy Security of Defense in Independence Day.)

• Love 6

Why is Jennifer Hudson singing? Another reason this show drags on and on. They can't let people make their acceptance speeches but we have to sit through this? The most boring Academy Awards I can remember, so far. And I thought NPH would be great.

• Love 4

They thankfully decided not to have the montage behind someone singing.  They did that the past few years and it was annoying as hell.  The way they did it tonight works much better.  

That being said, I'd have preferred not to have to endure Jennifer Hudson singing at all.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 2

I'm torn between the beautiful portraits and film clips. I think I prefer clips because it shows them at work.

Also, 'too many people died last year'. Sorry for the Anchorman quote, it was the most appropriate one I could think of.

Muted now during the song.  That was a lovely image of Robin Williams.  It looked just like him and was a completely fresh look at him.  Still hurts. 

Yes, I loved that image of him! When Jennifer came out I said, "What? No, thanks" and also hit mute.

• Love 1

Having Meryl Streep do the In Memoriam presentation is just wrong. I know she's nominated this year, but someone of her stature should be presenting best picture or director.

Please go away Jennifer Hudson. One of the least deserving winners from the past decade and that's saying a lot considering who has won an Oscar.

Meryl worked with Mike Nichols in three of his movies and one mini-series, I thought it was appropriate and heartfelt. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I still cannot believe that Robin Williams is no longer living. It still feels like a punch in the gut.

Gets me every time. I don't think I'll ever not be sad to remember he's no longer with us. He was...something special. 

• Love 5

Bumblebee Crumpetshire looks nice in a white dinner jacket.

I still cannot believe that Robin Williams is no longer living. It still feels like a punch in the gut.

Gets me every time. I don't think I'll ever not be sad to remember he's no longer with us. He was...something special.

My young nieces are on an Aladdin kick, and I have to swallow hard every now and then when I watch it with them.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

I do not need an extra song after the In Memoriam montage. Couldn't JHud sing during the montage?

It's distracting because you're thinking about the quality of the performance instead of the tribute. As for the clips, I think it's a subtle way of saying who's more important. If you're a fan of the talent, you know their work. You don't need clips.

I still remember the year the camera focused on the singer rather than the memorial.    Haven't forgiven the producer yet either.   I like the singing after.   But can live with just showing the memorial and going dark, then commercial.

• Love 4