Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Plus I've never been a fan of Neil's singing voice myself, or Neil really, so this whole opening act business is not working out for me at all.

I don't think he has the best voice but he's got a solid one, especially for very lyrically dense songs like Dr. Horrible and Sondheim, at least the ones that don't require much. I thought they did a nice job of capturing movie magic, adding Anna Kendrick made it feel like when Hugh Jackman hosted and Anne Hathaway joined him, adding Jack Black lowered expectations just enough.

That wasn't too horrible.  I didn't get the urge to throw up.

Anna Kendrick is totally the new Anne Hathaway.

Oh she is much much better!

Yup, let's get right to it, start throwing the Oscars out there....oh thank heavens, the lovely J.K. Simmons got it.  And a great speech!   

• Love 4

Schillinger has an Oscar!

My night is now made, I don't care what else happens.

Indeed. I have always enjoyed this guy and his work over the years and he's finally getting his due so I am quite pleased.

Did she say "Emmy" first? "Oz" flashback probably.

I don't think he has the best voice but he's got a solid one

It's just not to my taste. It annoys me more than anything else.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 1

Love NPH or hate him, I'll give him this:  I didn't have to have the CC on to understand the words to his song.  That's rare.  The man can enunciate.

Theater performers are usually better at enunciating. Though I thought Ariana Grande came from theater and I can never tell what she is saying when she wails.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2

OK.  That's it.  I'm out.  'Hollywood is criticized for making movies people like to go see and gives some measure of entertainment.  Maybe that's true but we nominate pretentious BS."  So you won't nominate genre and comedy but you have to go one step further and criticize its existence.  That's the attitude of the Academy.  Got it.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 6

Oh, it's from Begin Again? I was wondering how Adam Levine got an invite. Yeah, this is irritating and terrible. I guess it's good to get it out of the way early but let's keep it short so the audience doesn't fall asleep.

They're hoping Adam Levine brings in the kids.

I would love to see the Academy Awards have a comedy category

I think that was one of the reasons the Best Picture category was expanded, so that a wider range of movies could be nominated. Of course, it usually doesn't work out that way. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

OK.  That's it.  I'm out.  'Hollywood is criticized for making movies people like to go see and gives some measure of entertainment.  Maybe that's true but we nominate pretentious BS."  So you won't nominate genre and comedy but you have to go one step further and criticize its existence.  That's the attitude of the Academy.  Got it.

Thanks for translating Neeson's speech to something I can understand.

Liam Neeson is looking seriously hot.

He's giving old age an ass kicking all the time, it's just what he does.

Lupita said "Actor," which is what they call the SAG awards.

ETA: Damn autocorrect.

Ah thanks. I was without CC and didn't catch it over the applause and laughter from the audience, at least she looked absolutely drop dead gorgeous as usual. That young lady could wear a paper sack and look like a million euros.

Why is the overly tattooed Voice coach assaulting my ear drums so?

• Love 2

Actually he did not post the pic, Jesse Tyler Ferguson's husband posted the pic of a cake that appeared at NPH's private Halloween party.

I don't see the point of the distinction.  I've seen countless posts about the cake, but I'eve never seen NPH condemn or explain why it was presented at his party. The theme was presenting food in a disgusting way, he surely did that, and I'd say it tells us what kind of man he is.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

So how soon will we get the angry tweets and/or open letters to Hollywood from people mad that NPH made a joke comparing Chris Kyle's kill record to a Hollywood Producers morning? 

I really wish I was joking, but mark my words. 

• Love 1

Well, I'm set for the evening.  Simmons was the only one that I was rooting for enough that it would have bummed me out if he lost.  But, Oscars fall suit with everyone else.  Congrats, J.K.!  Skoda.  J. Jonah Jameson.  Guy in the Farmers Insurance commercials.  The Yellow M&M.  And, now an Oscar winner.

The opening song was pretty fun.  The jokes were a bit hit or miss though: that Oprah joke kind of bombed.  Don't let me down, NPH!

• Love 1

So how soon will we get the angry tweets and/or open letters to Hollywood from people mad that NPH made a joke comparing Chris Kyle's kill record to a Hollywood Producers morning? 

I really wish I was joking, but mark my words. 

IKR?  

Those people take themselves too damn seriously.  With a few exceptions, they're nothing but a bunch of pretentious, self-righteous fucks.

Other than that-- great opening! One of my friends last year wished aloud that the sorry mess that was last year's opening would have been so much better if it was like NPH's Tony opening that year. Apparently other people had the same thought.

YMMV but I thought Ellen killed last year.  To me both Ellen and NPH stayed true to what they're good at. Ellen's a comedian so her opening was pretty much a stand up routine, while Neil's a song/dance performer and did that. But I personally loved Ellen's opening last year and thought the audience was clearly loving it. So far, I feel like there's a lot of polite laughter from the audience for Neil. They do not seem particularly impressed. And it's making a lot of his jokes fall pretty flat. He also seems pretty nervous and is kind of stumbling over his words. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4