Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

am I one of the few people who doesn't like Gary Oldman?

Haven't been reading the news much lately I guess. His past has made him very unlikeable.

As for the Emma Stone moment. Make those digs at a time when it's not the big moment for the nominees. Those are five worthy nominees. Just celebrate them as a whole.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, pivot said:

Nope. He has hammed his way through movies for decades. Same indignant yelling, etc. Ugh. 

I actually did like him in The Contender.  Not a lot of yelling IIRC, though it was a pretty slimy character he played.

• Love 2
Just now, mariah23 said:

Lois Weber, Frances Marion, Mary Pickford, Alice Guy-Blanche look these ladies up.

Without Lying Down is a great bio on Frances Marion, I'd recommend that to anyone interested in film history.  The Lost Garden about Alice Guy Blache is available on YT as well.  

Two to go....

6 hours ago, Wings said:

Another problem- not as many of us go to the movies as much anymore, we wait until it comes on Netflix.  I used to see everything nominated and I would host an Oscar viewing party.   I still watch but so many say they don't anymore.

Totally agree.  There must be strong reason but have never heard why Sunday. 

I love Jimmy Kimmel and record him every night but I don't think he is a strong host.  His shtick does not read on an award show.  

Tina Fey and Amy Polar were excellent hosting the Golden Globes.  Bring them back for this one next year.  Ricky Gervais was another favorite of mine but not that popular with many!   :>) 

Those two women were horrible...mean girls as adults.  Neither are funny.

• Love 2

The lady that won for Fargo's going to win again tonight right? I think she's the one that they've been Telegraphing is going to win. Not happy about Gary Oldman never happy about him for a number of reasons and considering all the drama for all the other guys who have been accused of stuff why is he getting a pass again?

• Love 3
(edited)

"Streep"  "She iron-tired me"

"She tripped me once"

HEH! 

ETA:  Thanks to those who pointed out she said she was "I-Tonya'd"! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 15
(edited)
4 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

That said, Timothee Chalamet will so be back here.  I haven't seen Call Me By Your Name yet, but I was already impressed with him in Lady Bird and even Hostiles.  He is totally going places if he's already getting recognition now. 

Timothee’s final scene in “Call Me By Your Name” alone shows what an amazing actor he is.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

I get both points of view....but here's something to chew on - when the motion picture industry started, there were more women screenplay writers (or scenerio) and directors, and editors, all of it.  By the time sound came around the men had taken over.  It's time to gain that ground back.  I'd love to see more women directors nominated and I think it will happen.  The time is now.

And there we go, no surprise - but Gary Oldman is a great actor.  Sid and Nancy anyone?

All of that is true but it has nothing to do with how unnecessary it is to do something like that when it's all of the nominees big moment. They are all just doing their job. The system has slighted many over the years but that doesn't mean that the nominees deserve any kind of shade. I'm a black male but I wouldn't champion a four nominees and Jordan Peele comment either. There have been plenty of struggles there as well.

• Love 14

All the ladies who are nominated and never won and somehow Jennifer Lawrence has two of these bad boys I will never understand nor will I ever agree. Is Jodie Foster tiny or is Jennifer Lawrence an Amazon in real life?

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Meryl’s such a great sport. 

She SEEMS that way, doesn't she?  ;-)

Edited by jjj
  • Love 15

Apparently Gary Oldman is a terrible man.  I haven't seen Darkest Hour and have no desire to do so.  But I saw him in a play called 'Women Beware Women' in London back in the 80s and he was unbelievable.  Interestingly enough, Leslie Manville was also in the play and she was incredible too.  I don't think Oldman is a great film actor but he's never boring and that's a lot.

• Love 1

Not to get too maudlin but my 77 year old dad was killed on December 21 and my 99 year old grandmother died on Christmas so all of these people who are 20+ years older than I am thanking their mums and dads is hitting me terribly.

However.  I also notice things like how terrible Jennifer Lawrence’s eye makeup is.

• Love 12
Just now, mtlchick said:

Meryl Streep plays DIRTY. 

Complete aside: where's Jack Nicholson been?

I just got through saying to my husband that Streep has taken over the Nicholson position at the awards shows.  Last I heard he was supposed to be making a movie with Kristen Wiig.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, TV Mercenary said:

All the ladies who are nominated and never won and somehow Jennifer Lawrence has two of these bad boys I will never understand nor will I ever agree. Is Jodie Foster tiny or is Jennifer Lawrence an Amazon in real life?

J-Law only has 1 win.

• Love 1