Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Sugar said:

Ugh. I actually hope that speeches don't get political, because I don't watch for this shit. A few meaningful words that are relevant to the winner are fine (like when screenwriters talk about the importance of writing, or a first female winner talking about breaking ground in her category), but otherwise I am sick to death of all the politicking in Hollywood. We get it. Metoo, Weinstein, equal pay, POC, blah blah. I just want to watch pretty people win stuff.

Amen!

• Love 2
(edited)

Damn, the same person did both Beauty & the Beast and Darkest Hour?  Must have been a busy year!

But, of course Phantom Thread wins it.  Would have probably been embarrassing if it didn't.

ETA: Mark Bridges might be getting that jetski!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

She almost went down.  I wonder if the floor was slippery and her shoes were too new.

I really think it's time for her to start requesting some fancy flats from designers for these Award show. Love her but girlfriend clearly cannot walk in high heels. And with the long dresses, no one will see the shoes anyway so wearing flats won't be a big deal. 

I'm happy for Sam Rockwell but I really wish he didn't feel the need to yell his speeches. Dude, you're in front of a mike, we can hear you just fine. 

• Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

God, Eva looks great.  And I love those pearls

Yes she does. She's allowed herself to age naturally but still looks amazing. 

Mentioning her husband made me want to cry. 

I just logged on, so forgive my redundancy. 

I love the old Hollywood look of the stage and all of the movie clips. Classy. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, Neeners said:

Richard Jenkins, for me, was one of the few bright spots in that movie.

He is wonderful in everything and has been nominated twice but I fear he'll never win one.  He makes everything look so effortless.

10 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm sure Emily Blunt will be great, but I had always assumed that if someone was going to take the Marry Poppins mantle from Julie Andrews, it would be Anne Hathaway.

I like that they cast a British Mary Poppins.  

• Love 3
(edited)
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

He is wonderful in everything and has been nominated twice but I fear he'll never win one.  He makes everything look so effortless.

I like that they cast a British Mary Poppins.  

Hopefully Lin will have a better accent than DvD.

Edited by chitowngirl
4 minutes ago, ProudMary said:
22 minutes ago, Neeners said:

Richard Jenkins, for me, was one of the few bright spots in that movie.

His episode of WTF with Marc Maron was really good.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Holy crap I have not seen the movie, but does the lady get it on with the fish? WUT?

Not the first time in an Oscar-nominated flick, either. Remember in The Godfather Sonny said that "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."

• Love 8