Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like the hat.  He was someone I never heard of in my life before last year so it's nice of him to do something I will remember.

Damn that coat Michelle is wearing in the Manchester clip and its 155 dollar price tag.

Another case where I liked a bunch of the nominees; any other year, I would be pulling hard for Naomie Harris and Nicole Kidman; but Viola Davis is awesome, so great for her.  And she owned the screen in Fences.

Surprised by some of the choices for the clips.  For Viola, I figured they would do her big "For eighteen years, I stand in the same spot as you!" scene, and for Octavia Spencer, I thought it would be her scene with Kirsten Dunst in the bathroom.

If they ever had a "Best Performance in One Scene" category though, Michelle Williams should have gotten it.  She wasn't in the film for very long, but that scene and her performance was gut-wrenching.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

From the Washington Post- When Viola Davis wins an Academy Award on Sunday, as she’s favored to do, she will be the 23rd person to achieve the triple crown of acting: a competitive Oscar, Emmy and Tony (two Tonys, in her case). She will be the first African American to join the club.

• Love 20
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Ahahahahaha the voiceover lady said Viola was nominated for "The Help" but I heard "The Hulk" and I was like wait what?  How could that movie birth an Oscar nominee?

I  heard the same thing and was way confused for a few seconds. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

She wasn't in it long enough to justify an award but that Michelle Williams scene is the best one in the movie.

Yes. It was gut-wrenching -- so powerful and brought me to tears.

• Love 5
Just now, maraleia said:

From the Washington Post- When Viola Davis wins an Academy Award on Sunday, as she’s favored to do, she will be the 23rd person to achieve the triple crown of acting: a competitive Oscar, Emmy and Tony (two Tonys, in her case). She will be the first African American to join the club.

Now we just need to get her a Grammy...

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Yes. It was gut-wrenching -- so powerful and brought me to tears.

Not disagreeing, but again, you can't just go crying your ex husband telling him that you love him when you remarried and are starting a brand new family. Just saying.

1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

Viola thanked her husband and her daughter.  The camera went to her husband who was sitting next to Emma Stone, only those two in the frame.  My husband says "Emma Stone is her daughter?'  LOL.

HA! After that tear jerking speech, I needed that laugh!

• Love 4

Viola thanked her husband and her daughter.  The camera went to her husband who was sitting next to Emma Stone, only those two in the frame.  My husband says "Emma Stone is her daughter?'  LOL.

I'd watch a movie with Viola and Emma as mother and daughter.  I know some weren't a huge fan of The Help, but I liked their interactions in that movie.

• Love 13
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

Not disagreeing, but again, you can't just go crying your ex husband telling him that you love him when you remarried and are starting a brand new family. Just saying.

Well he did (don't click if you don't want to know major spoiler!)

Spoiler

accidentally kill their children. 

Edited by double-elvis