Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E04: Good Old Fashioned Spit In The Face

• Start Topic

I usually do well with adapting to cultures when I travel but no one spits in MReid's face without consequences lol and I dont care how much I disliked a team there is NO WAY I would have used my express pass on that incredible roadblock what a wasted once in a life time opportunity!

• Love 19

Only one of them had to do it, so why didn't the one afraid of heights sit it out!? I don't understand! and I thought they were going to use the pass when they got themselves u-turned or something? I didn't really get their thinking about that.

• Love 6

They're covering some very familiar ground. Mukuni Village was featured in the second episode of the first Amazing Race, complete with the "spit in your face" blessing, and The Knife's Edge Bridge was where a clue box was in the first episode ever of The Amazing Race!

• Love 10

Goodness no, I wouldn't want to have someone spit in my face. I always say if you spit in my face, it's over....for the spitter.

Would Team Texas STFU, sick of hearing them talk about the EP and Team Green. Would everyone stop talking about Team Green, just focus on the race and not being last and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I hate that this stupid TeamTexas vs GreenTeam is eating up most of the show. The hot high school cafeteria gossip is that Team Texas used their EP on the RB. Goodness me. You wouldn't know it because just about every team had to remind us. Dumbasses used their EP at the wrong time, I said to myself that they should have done the RB and not waste the EP. You mostly hand the EP over during the detour, not the RB.

Team Paparazzi is so annoying especially the girl. OMG, girl needs to take a chill pill.

I would have done the giraffe because I suck at those athletic type things and if it's like golf, I know I would be in trouble. I'm really great at painting and artwork and things like that.

Track Stars very lousy when it came to getting to the bridge. I don't even think tey said the correct bridge on the original trip after the RB, just a bridge between a pink building. I didn't see a pink building near the bridge, what was wrong with her. You saw the taxi driver take them to a pink building. SMDH.

Funny how the U-Turn was in front of Phil so he can see. They're trying to turn Phil into a mustache twirling villain a little bit. He was standing at the pit stop smiling quite gleefully seeing who is going to be U-Turned. Almost like he was rubbing his hands together. That sucks to go to the pit stop only to learn that you've been U-Turned. Trying to be extra douchey this season aren't they.

Damn cliffhanger. 

I like this show, but I'm really not enjoying this season mainly because of Green, Texas, Alabama Mother, and Team Paparazzi are very unbearable.

• Love 6

So, we have a leg that was 90% listening to two 100% annoying teams plotting against each other.  And absolutely 0% came of it - not even an elimination AND a lame TBC note to end on.  Boo.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 22

This is what happens, Texas, when you focus on another team instead of on your own race.  You miss fabulous opportunities! 

I am glad, however, that the Justin and Diana honored their mini-pact with Texas and didn't U-turn them.

Oh, and James Earl?  It's pronounced "cro-kay", not "cro-ket".

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 10

So, we have a leg that was 90% listening to two 100% annoying teams plotting against each other. And absolutely 0% came of it - not even an elimination AND a lame TBC note to end on. Boo.

Could not agree more! Waste of an hour of my TV-viewing time. Other than the gorgeous scenery, that is.

• Love 8

I've always thought the Race is at its best when it shows the human side of the adventure and that orphanage at the pit stop brought tears to my eyes.

Was this the first return to Victoria Falls since the second episode of the first season?

• Love 4

Other than the stupid u-turn and express pass drama that dominated 90% of the episode, this was utterly fantastic.  Gorgeous vistas, an awesome throwback to the first season, and I also like how they threw some wrinkles in there, like having the u-turn right in front of the pitstop, and the real pitstop basically being the overnight between the RB and detour (though if there's another equalizer next week, that makes the mid-leg bunch here really stupid).

Say what you want about Justin, but he absolutely won my heart when he started singing the song that TAR uses every single time they go to Africa.  It had been featured about 20 minutes earlier in the episode, and I hum with it every time it is used.  So if I wasn't already rooting for the green team, I officially am now.  Loved it!!

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 9

Oh, man. I'd give anything to fly over Victoria Falls. That was incredibly beautiful.

Don't any of these bozos realize Team Texas is using them to get rid of a strong team? Why should they do them any favors?

• Love 3

The biggest takeaway from this episode is that the Texans are idiots. I can dig that. Sure, this is more than likely a non-elimination leg, but I liked everybody talking shit about Tanner & Josh. They make me happy the Astros and Rangers got beaten in the ALDS.

I'm still liking Justin, even if he acts like Chip (TAR5) after eating a pound of pure sugar. He's a fan, so is Diana, and I'm glad they're out in front. Only problem is that they may be the only team worth rooting for. The rest of the field are jackasses (Texans), ticking time bombs (Chacs, Paparazzi, Alabama), not doing much either way (Track Stars, Anchors) and circling the drain (Cheerleaders). And the scheming? Oy. I feel the only reason for the field to scheme about taking out a team is if that duo a. Appeared on another reality show on two different occasions, and b. Won $1.1 million between them.

Not much else to add. I feel the Dancers' pain  . . . they needed the bunching from this episode.

ETA: "Tonight's episode is brought to you by Stray Monkeys. Stray Monkeys . . . . maybe you don't really need that banana."

• Love 5

Well that was disappointing. 

Fantastic waterfalls and critters !

"We just wasted our express pass"  Boo Hoo.  Nice job stepping on that rake.   THWACK!

Blew the express pass on an easy one then an HOO bunching.  Stop with the pointless scheming.  Just run a better race.  It's not Survivor, there is no immunity or alliances to vote people off.  Some collaboration always happens, but it's usually on the fly out of mutual convenience and informal.

Justin seems to have dialed it down a notch.  He's dead right about proper U Turn strategy.

Croquet looks like the better choice.  That staining looks tedious and then there's the drying delay.

I hope somebody caught all the spitting locations.

The Reporters got it like in the stomach, then Texas got nailed in the face.  Team Green got it in the chest and the Trackstars were hit in the feet.  I missed the rest until the last place cheerleaders got nailed in the face.

• Love 3

The Texans should give the express pass to the weakest team left, the one they are most sure they can beat, so probably the cheerleaders.

I was actually looking forward to the teams spending some time in the orphanage with the kids.

• Love 4

The tasks were great.  The location was great, too, as it was nice seeing Victoria Falls again for the first time in a long time.  But the fact that the whole plan to get rid of Justin & Diana made up most of the episode marred this episode by quite a bit.

But anyway, on to the teams:

Justin & Diana: I'm glad that Justin seemed remarkably toned down this week.  And they seemed to do all of their tasks very well.  They definitely earned the win for being good for their word alone.  I love that they foiled Tanner & Josh's plan.

Tanner & Josh: I'm pointing and laughing at these two right now!  They wasted their Express Pass for nothing!  Their plan failed utterly and completely, and now they have to rely on finishing all of their tasks fairly if they want another chance at U-Turning Justin & Diana!  Yes, their task performance was once again strong, but that doesn't matter!  Their plan blew up in their faces, and I loved it!  Cindy & Rick were right -- you should've waited till the Detour, boys!  Ha!

(The rest are by relative position.)

Kelsey & Joey: They're still racing solidly enough, but it's sad to see them join in the mob mentality.  I want to keep liking them, but this needs to stop.  But Kelsey killed the Roadblock, and their strategy at the Croquet Detour was sound, with Kelsey blocking the pro's ball.  Let's see if they can keep this up!

Denise & James Earl: Justin wasn't the only one toned down this week.  Denise was, too.  She did her first Roadblock very well, and she seemed to have no trouble with the Croquet Detour, to her credit.  James Earl definitely seemed more comfortable with her, too.  So I think she really did take her own advice from last week.

Cindy & Rick: Rick rocked out the Roadblock, and they seemed to do the best job at the Co-Op/Wood Detour.  I definitely think they're good to survive next week, since they're not really faltering all that much.

Logan & Chris: So their fighting is mainly because of how excitable they are.  Interesting.  They need to calm down if they want to get their tasks done faster, but I doubt they'll manage to do that.

Tiffany & Krista: I'm not sure what put them so far behind.  They seemed to be about on par with everyone else.  But what tasks they did, they did well.  Krista did very well on the Roadblock, and they seemed to be making decent progress on the Detour.  Let's see how it shakes out next week.

Jazmine & Danielle: I don't know what Jazmine was thinking.  They probably could've been in the second departure group if she hadn't sent herself and Danielle all the way to Zimbabwe prematurely.  But they're doing all right on the Roadblock.  It'll be interesting to see if they can recover next week.

Not much to say with the teams who hadn't finished their legs.  But whatever.  The plan to get Justin & Diana out failed, and I'm happy!  Great episode for that alone!

• Love 7

Since I wouldn't have had to fly the thing myself, I would be SO into doing that challenge!!!

I was looking at their helmets and thinking "Yeah, it's totally going to save you if you fall off of that flying thingie into the Falls."

So, what's better - to use the Express Pass Texas'style or not to use it a-la what's-his-name that made Phil go "oy vey"? At least these two doofuses didn't get eliminated.

• Love 4

Best closed caption of the show...

For the detour "co-op or cocaine"  I could not figure that out (as I couldn't hear the pronunciation) until I saw the sign and said Ohhh   lol.

No comment on the race- I'm still not a fan of Texas and even less of a fan of Justin.

• Love 8

Jeez,casting really came up with some crappy, unmemorable teams this season. It's actually making me miss last season - at least the Dating Game version was a somewhat recognizable TAR. This has turned into a waste of my time every Friday night.

• Love 2

Only one of them had to do it, so why didn't the one afraid of heights sit it out!? I don't understand! and I thought they were going to use the pass when they got themselves u-turned or something? I didn't really get their thinking about that.

If I understand correctly (which is a big assumption, with this team), it had nothing to do with not wanting to do the task itself. They figured that the U-Turn would be positioned right after it, and they wanted to be absolutely certain to be the first team there, so they could put their U-Turn strategy into effect (it won't work if Justin beats them there). So they used up their Express Pass, and then the U-Turn wasn't there. A bad leg for them, and as all the other teams were saying, a bad decision.

• Love 5

They sure are repeating a lot of stuff from Season 1

One thing I like is that they're doing more overnights when the Race is live instead of the overnights essentially being only at the pit stops, something that seemed to happen a lot more in the first few Races than what we've gotten lately. Gotta be adding to fatigue when you're never really able to relax at night because you know you've got a task bright and early the next morning.

This was a leg designed to generate killer fatigue- shortest Argentina-Victoria Falls routing I could find was 20 hours in transit, and even with a planned overnight in the middle, they're going to be totally dead on their feet by the end of next episode. Could be that Justin was more tolerable because he was feeling that already and didn't have his usual energy to mug for the cameras.

• Love 3

Jeez,casting really came up with some crappy, unmemorable teams this season.

If these teams are "crappy" or "unmemorable," it's no doubt because of all of the focus the editors are placing on Tanner & Josh, the crappiest team of all.  The others could be delightful, for all we know, and we're not seeing any of them because of those two and their obsession with Justin & Diana.

• Love 11

Slow clap Team Texas. Too consumed in taking a team out instead of running your race and only to find out that you land on a HOO situation which negates everything you were plotting.  Nothing is ever guaranteed in terms of layout.  Never assume.

Meanwhile, Victoria Falls is just as beautiful as when it was first featured many moons ago. And I had a really tough week so seeing the kids at the orphanage softened my heart for a moment. But to end on a TBC on an Express Pass? BAH.  

• Love 3

The obsession that Texas had over Justin and Dianna totally took their focus away from what the real prize of the Amazing Race is-the locales, culture, and wonder of going to new places and having experiences that few are ever able to have. The flying over the falls and seeing the various animals was just fabulous and something that I would love to do. That the Texas boys were so intent on getting rid of the other team just distracts from the show and makes this episode like an episode from almost any other reality show. I am so glad that the plan blew up in their faces. Justin was absolutely right that if one U-turns someone right behind them and they are in the leading group, that team rarely ends up going home.

Although I wish more of the episode had focused on the wildlife and scenery, I really did enjoy watching the Texas boys' plan fall apart.

• Love 12

Jeez,casting really came up with some crappy, unmemorable teams this season. It's actually making me miss last season - at least the Dating Game version was a somewhat recognizable TAR. This has turned into a waste of my time every Friday night.

Totally agree.Not one team that I can get behind to root for. For me the only likable teams have been eliminated (dancers & little people).

• Love 2

And it all comes back to a TAR truism: READ your clue. Does it say "Warning: U-Turn Ahead"?? No?? Then don't burn your express pass on that task. I also enjoy that they were "rewarded" only with missing out on a fabulous once-in-a-lifetime experience. Hah. I guess I'm old school but I think the Race takes care of itself, and you shouldn't do things that are against the very fabric and spirit of the Race or you risk getting a nice bit of karmic whiplash!!

Yes, you're racing which can't be forgotten, but it's also about the experiences and the locations and enjoying the ride. To quote the Roaming Gnome "Go and smell the roses"!!

When you are so tunnel-focused on eliminating another team and strategy and alliances every second of the race life passes you by (or you hit a bunch and are screwed). Let'd hope everyone can move on from today's contentious episode and just race.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 16

The fly over Victoria Falls was beautiful but I know I would be scared shitless if I ever had to do that.

Yeah seriously. Eff that. I don't think I could be paid to go up in that motorized hover bike thing. No one seemed at all phased by that thing. How cool though. Must have been, for a lack of a better word, amazing.

That orphanage. Oh man. I wish they had a real pit stop there and were able to interact with the kids for the afternoon/night. Incredible. Would like to learn more about it.

If I understand correctly (which is a big assumption, with this team), it had nothing to do with not wanting to do the task itself. They figured that the U-Turn would be positioned right after it, and they wanted to be absolutely certain to be the first team there, so they could put their U-Turn strategy into effect (it won't work if Justin beats them there). So they used up their Express Pass, and then the U-Turn wasn't there. A bad leg for them, and as all the other teams were saying, a bad decision.

But  the u turn station never comes  right behind a roadblock . It's behind the detour , otherwise the u turned team would do the roadblock twice . That was just dumb  game play and planning too far ahead to see what's right in front of them .

Edited by lianau
  • Love 5

But  the u turn station never comes  right behind a roadblock . It's behind the detour , otherwise the u turned team would do the roadblock twice . That was just dumb  game play and planning too far ahead to see what's right in front of them .

No, Tanner & Josh knew that the U-Turn would come after the Detour.  They likely just figured that the Detour would immediately be next, so they could do it and use the U-Turn on Justin & Diana.  As we all now know . . . they were wrong.

• Love 1

The welcome wagon woman appeared to sometimes spit at racers' mid-sections, and sometimes in their faces. I would like to think that she picked her spots.

I hope Cheerleader #1 was not fucking screaming in her pilot's ears all throughout her flight.

I don't get how the giving-your-2nd-express-pass-away right there on the mat is supposed to work, or to be fair. Doesn't it mean that Texans can only give it to the teams who get to the mat after them? What if they wanted to give the pass to the team ahead of them, Diana and Jus... Oh, wait. HAHAHAHAHA.

• Love 7

Team Texas wasted the express pass, ha ha ha ha. And now they have to give up the other one, & they don't have a plan. Poor babies.

That one cheerleader when they were staining the giraffe put herself into Justin territory, "100%! 100%!" How about you STFU 100%?

What happens to the orphans when they turn 17?

• Love 1

Justin & Diana: I'm glad that Justin seemed remarkably toned down this week.  And they seemed to do all of their tasks very well.  They definitely earned the win for being good for their word alone.  I love that they foiled Tanner & Josh's plan.

Tanner & Josh: I'm pointing and laughing at these two right now!  They wasted their Express Pass for nothing!  Their plan failed utterly and completely, and now they have to rely on finishing all of their tasks fairly if they want another chance at U-Turning Justin & Diana!  Yes, their task performance was once again strong, but that doesn't matter!  Their plan blew up in their faces, and I loved it!  Cindy & Rick were right -- you should've waited till the Detour, boys!  Ha!

Yeah! I don't like Team Texas and I think Team Green is fine, so it was a very good episode for me.

I was confused by the end -- now that Team Texas (stupidly) used their express pass, they can pass it on to another team? Has that always been a rule, or is it new for this season?

• Love 1

I was confused by the end -- now that Team Texas (stupidly) used their express pass, they can pass it on to another team? Has that always been a rule, or is it new for this season?

This season.  Phil said it to Tanner & Josh when they won the first leg.

• Love 1

Karmic justice...so rare in life, but there it is, right on the Amazing Race. Texas, you deserved that. So busy hating on Justin that you didn't think through your strategy, and I use the word strategy very loosely. I was amused at Team Texas, having made so much of their prayerful natures last week, making a deal with Kelsey and Joey to crush Team Green and then without missing a beat, saying to the camera they would screw both teams without any qualms,  because hey the money. Since the other teams saw their weak move in action,  I doubt there will be much enthusiasm next week for any deal-making with Texas. 

• Love 6

Did I hear one of the Texans monologue that they didn't know if they wanted to give the Express Pass to anyone as if they had a choice?

Beautiful scenery. Though I'm thinking the one saw crocodiles and not alligators.

They're covering some very familiar ground. Mukuni Village was featured in the second episode of the first Amazing Race, complete with the "spit in your face" blessing, and The Knife's Edge Bridge was where a clue box was in the first episode ever of The Amazing Race!

Paraphasing from memory:  Kevin:  "Mukini freaking Village!!!!" 

Drew (crossing the Knife's Edge Bridge):  "This is the most beautiful thing I've every seen in my life!"  (We wiss you, Frats, and the rest of the Racers of TAR1 for that matter.  Far better cast).

I also noticed they had to drive into the Batoka area.  I was waiting for Justin, as a super fan, to ask someone where Batoka "George" was.  In fact I'm pretty sure he probably made a lot of references to Season 1 there and the editors cut them all out for some reason.  (Same in Rio when they first were driving off to hang glide to TAR2).  Maybe TPTB don't want the newer viewers to know their own fabled history?!?

Regards the previews:

Next week it also looks like the rickety bungee jump/swing from Batoka Gorge. Though maybe just a similiar one on the other side of the gorge since it is on the other side of the border and not in Zambia.  That TAR1 bungee was scary with the big wild swing that was part of it.  Somewhere TAR1 Paul fainted dead away seeing that preview last night.  ("I don't care if the Pope would do it!).

I'm enjoying the shout-out to the first two seasons plus the carrying part of the beef one as a slight TAR5 (Charla) one too.  Except for Season 4 I loved those first five seasons the most.  Justin must feel like he has stepped through a time portal into those past Classic TAR races.  And damn Phil holding the clue up in front of the falls at the exact same spot he did that over 14 years ago.  That got to me.  Though back then he looked to be a fresh faced 20 year old in that particular shot.  A tad older for sure these days.

As for this race, still love Justin warts and all.  And Diana is getting a bit more air time and seems really cool.  Still can't stand Texas.  So obviously I really enjoyed the results of this episode at that level.  And glad Texas missed the experience of a lifetime flying over the "the smoke that thunders" in that ultralight as well because of their obsessive stupidity.

The Track Stars were so lucky this is a "to be continued" leg when the roadblock spotter got the bridges mixed up.  They may be the first team in history to literally run off to the wrong country.  Good thing crossing the border there isn't like many ports of entry cause crossing, crossing back (with possibly a now cancelled out visa stamp??), then re-crossing would normally have spelled the end for a team in some border situations.  I like them so glad they survived but that was a scary mistake.

Overwhelming No, I agree the look on the mother's face on the mother/son team was hysterical.  She looked like she was both stunned, wanted to explode in fury but also realized it was a traditional greeting so she should zip it but she still couldn't embrace cultural differences even so.  All that in the space of one second.  And obviously she never watched TAR1's greeting footage at Mukini Village because she seemed totally surprised by the traditional greeting.

Ken & Barbie (plastic newscasters) playing both sides look like a strong team.  They are too artificial and obviously recruited through "conections" in the industry so I can't root for them since they don't seem like real people but "image presenters".  But I respect that they at least aren't "presenting" an annoying image as of yet.

The rest?  Doctors solid getting through things okay and without drama this episode.  Team National Enquirer not so much.  Interesting edit showing how the man on that team is totally out of control while the woman has to calm him down and make him read clues.  Forshadowing?  Guess we will see.  Cheerleaders always trailing as usual despite being stellar "atheletes" (cough).

The episode was too much about Texas' plot to take out Justin.  But I guess the editors have to use what is there.  They obviously aren't allowing this season's Racers to drive their own vechicles around getting totally lost and looking to turn "at the big tree" and such.  So we get the soap opera instead.  I personally had rather look at footage of looking for the equivalent of the big tree turn off whilst "approaching people in an affable manner" or one that passes as one for a desperate Frat looking at Nambia on his map.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

One thing that made me like the news anchors and the doctor/dentist (sorry, I hate their stupid cutesy name) teams this week was that both teams stopped for a quick kiss in front of Victoria Falls. I know it's a silly thing to waste time on the race, but at least they recognized that they were in front of something so gorgeous that it deserved a little smooch. And I say that as someone who is not into schmoopie couples. It was a nice contrast from the Texans who were so focused on beating another team that they missed the experience of flying over the waterfalls and then running near it.

Also good: both the cheerleaders and the doctor/dentist didn't berate each other, blame the other person, or otherwise fight when they realized they had left their whips behind. They just sighed and went back to retrieve the whips. In comparison, it appears that Denise can't stop yelling at James Earl no matter what they're doing. I was so annoyed with her last week when she told him not to look angry and to stop crossing his arms when they had their 30 minute penalty. Sorry, bitch, but I'm allowed to cross my arms and/or look angry whenever I damn well please. But this week she was yelling at him while they were transporting their horse. Stop! Where are you going? Don't stop! Pull the horse! Seriously, STFU. She's not quite to Justin's level of annoying yelling, but her yelling is so much more mean spirited that I can barely stand to watch her constantly yelling at her son.

I was surprised that the track girls' inadvertent detour on their way to the bridge didn't knock them out of contention but I guess they had enough of a lead to catch up with the middle of the pack.

Poor Ernest and Jin. I really liked them but they were just way too far behind to catch up. If only they had been able to catch the second bus, they might have had a chance (especially since Ernest appeared to finish the gaucho challenge on his first try).

I was cracking up when the green team and the Texans both promised not to u-turn each other and then said in separate interviews that they might still u-turn each other because lying for a million dollars is okay. The main reason I'm glad that they didn't u-turn each other is that I didn't want to hear the inevitable and hypocritical whining about "I can't believe they lied to our faces and then u-turned us!" I am fine with teams using the u-turn but I am also fine with people just trying to race better and faster than everyone else.

• Love 3

I can understand why they wanted to use the EP.  They wanted to get so far ahead of the Green Team that their plan would work.  If the Green Team got to the U-Turn first then the Texans couldn't have U-Turned them.  But really, they would have been better off with the plan I was psychically telling them to use last week, and they were in the perfect position to do it.

1. Let Reporters stay in first place - with Texans in second place - Green Team in third

2. Reporters U-Turn Texans

3. Texans U-Turn Green Team (Green Team can't U-Turn anyone)

4. Texans use their Express Pass to keep from having to complete the second task

5. Green Team is the only team that has to do two tasks so they are either out or the last team

But, because the top three teams were all so close together I could see why Texans got nervous about getting to the U-Turn board before the Green Team.  But that was a risk they should have taken.

• Love 1

I've always thought the Race is at its best when it shows the human side of the adventure and that orphanage at the pit stop brought tears to my eyes.

Was this the first return to Victoria Falls since the second episode of the first season?

That was the one thing that actually made me like Justin for a minute.  Maybe he was doing it for show, and maybe they all were, but I think it was very sweet to donate the rest of their money to the orphanage.  He was right, those kids not only don't have any money, but they don't have any parents.  And I think that should help everyone to put the race into perspective.  Yes, the chance at a million dollars is wonderful, but most of these people already have so much to go home to, even if they have nothing at all to go home to.  And then Justin kept his word about the U-Turn, which was pretty good of him too.  I think Texans may be softening towards him.

Actually, now that I think about it, I kinda like most of the racers.  I just don't like Justin (but who knows, if he calms down he may grow on me), Logan is starting to get shrieky, and I'm not all that into the cheerleaders ("he just kept dropping me because he was probably flirting with me because I'm just so cute, tee hee")

But other than that I kind of like all the racers and I'm glad that we are getting snippets of the other teams instead of 100% Texans v. Justin.

First time posting for this show. The reason being that TAR finally stopped in the country I grew up in (Zimbabwe) for more than just a quick view of Victoria Falls and even though the country has been and is still going through some really tough economic challenges, it's a beautiful place to visit. It still retains a large amount of its culture and the people are some the friendliest you'll find around. Next week's preview looks like the teams will be doing a lot of things I've had the privilege of doing myself. If you're ever in Zimbabwe, schedule as many activities as possible, you won't regret it.

Side-note: if you visit Victoria Falls during the rainy season (December-March) no matter which side you see it from, you will get soaked from head to toe.

The scenery was beautiful.  African Elephants are my favorite animal EVER.  So when I saw one casually crossing the street I was like OMG!!!!  If I were racing I probably would have asked if the taxi could stop just so I could pet its leg (not sure how elephants feel about that, but what an obituary I would have!)

The Elephant scenery alone was magnificent.  This leg of the race is one giant advertisement for tourism in Africa, because if there is a place where I can see an elephant casually walking the streets....I want to go to there!

Best closed caption of the show...

For the detour "co-op or cocaine"  I could not figure that out (as I couldn't hear the pronunciation) until I saw the sign and said Ohhh   lol.

No comment on the race- I'm still not a fan of Texas and even less of a fan of Justin.

That is exactly what I heard, and I was like "huh?"  It totally sounded like the announcer said cocaine, and I said "well this will be interesting...."

Yeah seriously. Eff that. I don't think I could be paid to go up in that motorized hover bike thing. No one seemed at all phased by that thing. How cool though. Must have been, for a lack of a better word, amazing.

That orphanage. Oh man. I wish they had a real pit stop there and were able to interact with the kids for the afternoon/night. Incredible. Would like to learn more about it.

Yeah, I'm shocked even the "I'm afraid of heights" contestants seemed fine.  I don't have a fear of heights, but I think I would have been scared going that high in something with no strong motor, no windows, no doors and no discernible exit plan.

Did I hear one of the Texans monologue that they didn't know if they wanted to give the Express Pass to anyone as if they had a choice?

Beautiful scenery. Though I'm thinking the one saw crocodiles and not alligators.

I think what Texans were saying was that they didn't know who to give it to because they like everyone and they didn't want to be seen as picking favorites.

I agree with the poster above to give it to someone who seems weak.  Strategically I think that makes the most sense since they don't know when the next U-Turn will be, and they don't want to give it to someone who can use it to jump ahead of them.  I would say give it to the track stars, because I'm not huge fans of the cheerleaders

• Love 5

The editor's focus on Josh/Tanner's hate for Justin so far this season was a real downside of this season for me until this episode's sweet, sweet payoff. It was like watching a super elaborate domino puzzle satisfyingly click-click-click across "God decides our fate" and "multiple secret alliances" until they had to stand there at the mat knowing that not only did they have an express pass, several teams on their side and advance warning of the U Turn, they still came in second.

It seemed like maybe the Track Ladies got a bum steer from their cabbie.

So far, Denise has referred to James Earl as "Spider" and "Spud". I still don't care for her, though.

"Smoke that thunders"... Aw. I got hooked on this show via the season one DVDs on crew channel while working at sea, so each ep repeated every 43 mins for the whole day. When they do throwbacks like this I just want to shout "Lenny!"

• Love 5
What happens to the orphans when they turn 17?

I don't know the specifics of the place they showed in this episode, but I know someone who adopted a child from an orphanage in Ethiopia and once the kids reach a certain age they get kicked out. I read the memoir of a guy who grew up in an orphanage in Russia and he said the same thing happened there. Places in the United States and the UK have similar cut off ages.