Type keyword(s) to search

Dallas - General Discussion

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

What's funny is that Cidre smugly thought she'd get a season 4 to deal with Elena being pregnant and John Ross' sister (another made up character). Not:

Bobby dealing with the loss of his son (the interviewer seemed surprised that they were going to skip all over Christopher's death with the time jump)

The disintegration of Bobby's marriage

The demise of the Pamela/John Ross marriage

Pamela trying to get her company back (the Ewings wouldn't have Ewing Global at all without Pamela's help)

Sue Ellen recovering from alcoholism and moving forward

Whether Cliff gets out of jail or not

If Cliff gets out of jail, will he and Pamela join forces to bring down the Ewings ( This time there's a legitimate reason for a feud)

Emma dealing with her rape with John Ross' help as her friend (and just as a friend)

John Ross and Judith hooking up

Harris and Ann hooking up

The adventures of Bum

No, Cidre gushed about Elena having a Maury Povich pregnancy, Elena having the baby, Elena having postpartum depression, how Elena feels. Season 4 was going to be all about Elena. So if DALLAS were ever revived on Netflix or something, the Elena character and everyone associated with her must go, the Cidre must go and Christopher's death needs to be undone.

• Love 11

I watched Dallas 1.0 which was awesome. Dallas 2.0 was a well done show in Season 1. Unfortunately, Season 2 & 3 went off the rails & was so unlike Dallas. I never got into the drug cartel stuff & much preferred when it settled on the Ewing family & Southfork. I missed the old days when the Ewings would sit around the dinning room table or out on the terrace eating dinner/breakfast. There was more drama in those scenes alone than all the crap Cidre was showing. They hardly used the pool & the exteriors of Southfork except when someone would drive their car up. Granted, they did film more in the winters than the HOT Texas summer. That said, I was looking forward to Season 4. It was a good escapist 60 minute show with some good acting. Of course, Linda Gray looking pretty hot at 60+ didn't hurt. She was simply amazing looking. RIP TNT Dallas!

• Love 3

I'm hoping that this is TNT's roundabout way of dumping Cidre and that they'll bring back a retooled version under a different showrunner in a year or so. The big question would be whether the key actors would still be available or whether they would have moved on because they've still got bills to pay.

• Love 1

Marry me, Drivethroo.....your post was righteous!

It is like the old saying, 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!'  Back in 2011, TNT cancelled another wonderful original series, Men of a Certain Age.....reading today's Dallas news brought back all the bitterness I had about MOACA being taken off the air in favor of bullshit (Franklin & Bash?  Rizzoli & Isles?  Really?!)

To think I won't be seeing Hot Daddy on my screen again, with his bald sexy self....(blows nose)

Judith Light's campy Mama Ryland, Josh Henderson's wonderful John Ross (wipes tear)....John Ross and PamBecca could have gone so far, but nahhhhhhhhh, we had the fuckin' Crypt Keeper bitch shoved down our throats like a bad cough syrup! 

I was watching one of my favorite movies last night, The Mambo Kings, and guess who wrote the screenplay?  Fuckin' Cidre!  Gahhhhhhhh!!

No more first-run series for me, I'm sticking with my Martin/A Different World/Sanford and Son/Charmed reruns.

FUCK YOU, TNT!

(Oh, and Mitch Pileggi?  Call me!)

• Love 2

I will say that Mitch Pileggi was a real find for this show. He really brought the crazy evil, didn't he? I even got past he & Light playing Son & Mother while they should have been playing lovers.

• Love 3

I'm a bit disappointed that the show did not get renewed.  I'm not surprised because they really didn't do a good job promoting the show when it returned, and there were such long hiatuses between the seasons.  It sort of reminds me of when Lifetime cancelled Drop Dead Diva and the viewers were upset because they cancelled it with a cliff-hanger, and they eventually brought it back for another season to tie up loose ends.

I didn't care for Elena and her storyline.  I watched this with my mom just like we watched the original (I'm 37, she's 59) and when I told her it was cancelled, she mentioned that she did not like the drug storyline (it was too intense for her taste).  I'm disappointed because I wanted to see the aftermath of Christopher's "death" (because I doubt that he really died) and the reveal of John Ross's sister.  I'm hoping that there will be enough outcry that they will at least bring it back for a shortened season to tie up loose ends.

• Love 2

Well, I am alone most likely in the I'm Upset it Got Cancelled Camp. Their reasoning would hold a lot more water if they would quit renewing that stupid Franklin and Bash shitfest.

You're not alone.  I'm also upset that it got cancelled.  Sure it wasn't the greatest Dallas ever, but it was still a Dallas that I enjoyed watching.  I'm not sure why those that loathed the show so much even bothered to watch it.  I don't watch stuff I absolutely can't stand. 

so now I have to keep an eye out for anything else Josh Henderson does. 

• Love 3

I'm hoping that this is TNT's roundabout way of dumping Cidre and that they'll bring back a retooled version under a different showrunner in a year or so.

Seriously, seriously doubt it. Barring a change of mind by TNT or it being picked up by Netflix or Hulu or some other provider, Dallas is done.

Right now, the petition has close to 25% of the required signatures. It's a noble effort, but I doubt it will do any good.

I'm all for dumping the Mexican drug cartel bullshit, but what would the writers replace it with? The Ewings far outnumber the Barnes unless some newly-created distant relatives crawl out of the woodwork.

I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment that things started going downhill after Larry Hagman died. That might have been a better time to spring this long-lost daughter. It seemed like the EP figured this out at the very last possible minute and now it's too late.

Right now, the petition has close to 25% of the required signatures. It's a noble effort, but I doubt it will do any good.

It's not "25% of the required signatures," as this petition is no way sponsored by TNT, Warner Bros or anyone having anything to do with the show. Rather, it's 25% of some arbitrary number that the Causes.org "Campaign Leader" set. TNT will take one look at 50,000 signatures and yawn.

I did not SAY that TNT or Warner Bros. was circulating the petition. I went to the site and saw that the goal was 60,000 signatures and at that time, there were close to 15,000 gathered.

I also stated that I doubted this effort will do any good.

• Love 1

I have two words for Cynthia Cidre:  FUCK and YOU! 

I can't add much to what Drivethroo already said, whose epic post was spot on about exactly what killed this show.  It can all be summed up in one word:  E-L-E-N-A.  What was the point of that comprehensive poll by TNT last year only to have Cidre ignore it and continue foisting her Mexican telenovella on the audience when they made it emphatically clear that that was NOT what they wanted?  When I read her interview about her plans for an Elena-centric Season 4, I knew I wouldn't be tuning in.  Such arrogance and cluelessness!

With Original Recipe Dallas' rich history, the reboot practically wrote itself.  Instead, this bitch created La Familia Ramos using the city of Dallas as a backdrop with special appearances by Bobby and Sue Ellen.  I am bitterly disappointed for Patrick and Linda, who invested their time, energy and effort into making this work.  I wouldn't mind another network picking up the show, but ONLY if it got rid of Cidre and her team of hacks.

• Love 5

I really thought there would be a Season 4 and then TNT would cancel it. Like, I said before, this new Dallas was just all sorts of crazy. For some reason, Cidre felt the need to put the show on steroids. I guess she felt she needed to keep up with the network shows & Netflix & FX & so on. The show moved so fast she didn't give it (and, us) a chance to breath. They just needed to concentrate on the Ewings, Pambecca & Ryland. Juidth Light brought the crazy but she was OTT and not needed. Juan Pablo del Pace was a good looking guy & a decent actor but he too wasn't needed. Basically, it's all of Cidre's fault for running the show. Also, for TNT not leaving the show in the summer where it belonged. It was perfect for the summer in the doldrums of network reruns.

• Love 2

I also didn't like Cidre implying in interviews that Christopher could be Elena's baby daddy. When would Christopher have been able to sleep with Elena? If that's the case, why wasn't that shown? Cidre already made Christopher look like a silly chump by having him running after Elena after she blackmailed his family, then she started implying there could be a third baby daddy for Elena? Come on, now. And that just makes Elena look even more trashy for sleeping with Nicolas, John Ross AND Christopher in close proximity like that.

I enjoyed the show minus anything Ramos and feel the show could've been saved had Cidre focused on EWING instead of RAMOS. The show was called DALLAS, not MEXICO. I think calling Dallas a telenovela is an insult to telenovelas b/c most telenovelas today are remakes and try to stay somewhat true to the original show. For all we know, TNT might've considered a Season 4 but pulled the plug after Cidre ran her mouth in interviews about how Season 4 was going to be about ELENA and her problems and not about how the Ewings were going to deal with the loss of Christopher. I'm pretty sure the surveys TNT put out showed the viewers didn't like Elena/Mexico storylines but here is Cidre running her mouth in interviews saying Season 4 was going to be about Elena. TNT was paying Cidre to put on DALLAS, not Elena, and since they weren't getting what they paid for, they pulled the plug.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 8

If TNT was invested in Dallas, but not happy with the direction it was headed in, they would have just canned Cidre and continued on. I think the only thing that sold them on Dallas in the first place was Larry Hagman's JR,,,,Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray were icing on the cake. I bet they were banking on old fans returning in droves to see what ol'JR's been up to all these years, and Hagman didn't disappoint. After he died, I think they gave a 3rd season to Cidre only to see what an JR-less Dallas would look like and how fans would respond. Because fans responded negatively to it, they cancelled it.

If this show finds it saviour in another network, its practically non-negotiable to dump Cidre.  The cast is too talented for Cidre's hack writing, and Jordana Brewster has proven she can't keep up with the big leagues. She is light years behind Julie Gonazlo and Josh Henderson, who had the impossible task to carry on the JR Ewing torch, and proved himself more than capable if given the right material.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 5

The saddest person of them all should be Jordana Brewster for her losing her starring role in MEXICO.

Julie Gonzalo could go back to making Spanish language movies or get another TV role.

I think Josh Henderson & Emma Bell could easily pick up another series.

I'm very sorry for Patrick Duffy & Linda Gray.

I hope to see Mitch Pileggi in something soon.

Brenda Strong can live off of her Mary Alice checks.

I guess Jesse Metcalfe had no comment because the show was over for him anyway. But he might be twerking at the thought of Cidre getting chopped like she chopped him.

I think one of the reasons the Degrassi reboot was so successful is they built upon the history of the first show while adding new characters & situations for today (easy b/c the producers/writers were the same for both shows). So when when Child Character A and Child Character B go looking for Child Character A's dad (who was on the original show), Adult Character A can provide context for Child Character because they knew what happened back then. It would not have hurt Cidre to either watch the old series or go read up on the characters on Wikipedia or something. She didn't even know Cally was her neighbor or had JR's son (which could've been mentioned when Cally showed up at JR's funeral).

I'm sorry I'm ranting so much on this thread, but I enjoyed watching the Ewings again and an sorely disappointed they were canceled because the writer wanted to write MEXICO starring Elena rather than DALLAS.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 1

Wait, what? She never watched the original Dallas. Oh. My. Gods. That's fucking absurd.

fvwdp5.jpg

Now this is a little factiod that I was unaware of. Just how the Hell do you do that and think it's going to work?

Oh, I almost forgot, I was channel surfing the other night and ran across the last 30 minutes of A Cinderella Story with Hillary Duff and noticed that Julie Gonzalo played the part of one of the mean girls. LOL, I had no idea she'd been in that movie.

Edited by missbonnie

If this show finds it saviour in another network, its practically non-negotiable to dump Cidre.  The cast is too talented for Cidre's hack writing, and Jordana Brewster has proven she can't keep up with the big leagues. She is light years behind Julie Gonazlo and Josh Henderson, who had the impossible task to carry on the JR Ewing torch, and proved himself more than capable if given the right material.

I can't imagine Netflix or Hulu or whoever resurrecting the show, then dumping the showrunner and nuking one of the major projected Season 4 plotlines. Normally, shows that are cancelled and picked up by another provider ("Taxi" from ABC to NBC, "Arrested Development" from Fox to Netflix) have everything in place and a clear vision of what they want to do. Dumping the showrunner? Not gonna happen. Bottom line is that Dallas is almost certainly finished.

I hope to see Mitch Pileggi in something soon.

So do I.....preferably nude and preferably performing a scorching sex scene with yours truly!

I guess Jesse Metcalfe had no comment because the show was over for him anyway. But he might be twerking at the thought of Cidre getting chopped like she chopped him.

Yeah, Jesse is likely doing a serious Nelson Muntz 'HAR-HAR!' right about now.

Edited by Vixenstud

I think Jesse Metcalfe did the right thing by not commenting.  Cidre made it clear Christopher was really dead, so he wasn't part of the show anymore.

A few weeks ago, Cidre made the comment that if Dallas wasn't picked up, she might release the already-written scripts for the first two episodes of Season 4 - I'd be curious to see them.

I can't imagine Netflix or Hulu or whoever resurrecting the show, then dumping the showrunner and nuking one of the major projected Season 4 plotlines.

Why would she need to be "dumped"? Does she own the show? Unless she does, it seems to me that they could acquire the show and just say "No, thanks" to the addition of her services. I think it must be clear to everyone who isn't blind that her so-called new vision for the series is what killed the reboot so why would anyone still want her attached to the property?

• Love 4

I'm much sadder about this cancellation than for any show I've ever followed.  There was so much wasted promise! 

As most here, I didn't like (HATED!!) everything associated with the Cartel, the Ramos', and potentially anything else not Ewing-centric.  I think the Ryland-Ewing dynamic had a lot of potential, and I had begun to really embrace Mama Ryland as a worthy adversary.  In my version, Clif would get out of that Mexican prison, come back to Dallas, hook up with (marry?) Mama, and GAME ON!  Of course, with Bobby and Sue Ellen ultimately winning the war

Finally, bring (Pamela - John Ross) and (Christopher - Reformed Emma) back as couples who cross over all the family dynamics!!

Edited by barbarylane

Linda Gray will be playing the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella in Wimbledon Dec/Jan. Nice that she found a big money gig so quickly-I gather panto stars can earn around 20-25,000 a week! And I'm talking pounds, not dollars. I'll be in London at Christmas so definitely plan to see her in it. I saw Priscilla Presley as the Wicked Queen in Wimbledon in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs two years ago. They threw in one Dallas joke but I can't remember what it was. I gather she let them throw in only one Elvis joke, too.

I stopped watching after the first half of the ridiculous third season.  Deleted it off the DVR and didn't watch one episode when it came back a few months ago.  As many others have said, the main reason is because I had no desire to watch "Mexico" featuring Elena Ramos and family.  My parents were loyal Dallas watchers in the 80s, and they gave up midway through this reboot's season 1, because they said the show had no sense of history and the focus was not on the characters and families that they liked.  Seems to sum up many people's complaints.

I feel most bad for Linda Gray.    I hope Cidre never gets another TV producer gig again.  The woman is poison.

• Love 1

It was the oddest thing...as I was driving to an appointment this morning, several scenes of when Miss Ellie schooled Good Ole JR went through my mind...

It convinced me more than ever that Donna Reed was just so miscast for the one season she played her.

For all his screwing women and screwing them over, screwing over the Cartel, or just destroying other people...there were two people he RESPECTED and LOVED: His Mama and his Daddy. His Daddy? Jock? JR also feared him.

But the times when Miss Ellie had to step in because JR just went that one step too far....he listened to his Mama, and he Shut the Fuck Right Up, when she smited him those eyes, and with the line "Sit DOWN, JR!" And damned if JR didn't shut up and SIT DOWN.

Or when she would tear into Jock and JR...

It's why I so loved Miss Barbara Bel Geddes. She WAS Miss Ellie.

Man...I think I'll pull out my dvds this weekend...

I loved BBG/Ellie in those moments, but as much as I loved her in those, I hated her in those moments where she was whiney, weepy and weak.  One that always sticks in my mind was when Bobby left the ranch ("for good") because of JR and Ellie is crying for Jock to bring him back.  A) Bobby was a grown ass man and for to act like she lost her toddler to a black market baby broker was beyond clingy and B) if she was going to insist Bobby be brought back at any cost, she should have been tearing into Jock to get JR under control and to do whatever it took to calm Bobby down and get him to come back.  As I recall, in later seasons to explain BBGs reduced role they had Ellie shipped off on vacation by Clayton because she was too fragile to deal with the family fighting.  I just wish they hadn't made it out like Ellie was this glass flower that would shatter if someone talked too loud.   

• Love 2

Oh, without a doubt, Maverick.  And it made no sense, really, when you consider that Gary was her favorite among the boys. 

Yeah, I just roll my eyes whenever they referred to Miss Ellie as too fragile. My ass. It's one of the reasons I went apeshit when they threw in how she had been put in a mental institution when that hack Cidre got the okay to continue the saga of the Ewings.

At least, her being weak were very far and in between. I also loved how she ripped into both Jock and JR when it turned out that her brother had come home to die, and that the young woman with him was his nurse, and that he wasn't trying "steal" Southfork from Jock.

• Love 1

Ouch! I still haven't had a chance to watch the last 6 episodes (the 2nd half of Season 3); I was rushed to the ER the night of the premier and still not well the following Monday. I had let they stack up on the DVR and expected to find tie to watch over the holidays but during one of the many snafus with U-Verse, an episode was erased by the system randomly and isn't available anywhere free that I can find. I was just in Sam's Club today and saw the DVD set with an added sticker at the bottom proclaiming "Dallas Final Season" and I was like WTF?!? Came here and glad to get the update but terrified now to wade in and see what carnage Cidre served up. If they can get rid of her, reboot, especially with the "new normal" of <$50/barrel oil, and return to stories related to oil/energy, politics and sex with plenty of family hijinks and skullduggery thrown in, I'd be in for more. And give Christopher a spine/testicle transplant because I'm sure he was still the same dull wuss last Fall that he has been the entire run of 2.0.

A few more:

J.R.: Barnes just broke the cardinal rule in politics: never get caught in bed with a dead woman or a live man.

JR: Well, last night we went to the Oil Baron’s and we ran into that termite brother of yours!
Pamela: Are you talking to me?
JR: Anyone else in here gotta termite for a brother?

Sue Ellen: Which slut are you going to stay with tonight, J.R.?
JR: What difference does it make? Whoever she is, she has got to be more intersting than the slut I'm looking at now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The "Random Roles" is one of my favorite features on The Onion AV Club. Here Linda Gray talks about Dallas, both the original and 2.0, Models Inc. and ect. It's always great to hear how close Linda, Patrick Duffy and Larry Hagman were. Also it's infuriating but not surprising that after eight seasons she wanted to direct an episode and even offered to do it for free and not get a raise but TPTB would rather fire her than let her direct even one episode.

http://www.avclub.com/article/linda-gray-dallas-hijinks-and-playing-first-transg-226556

• Love 1