Type keyword(s) to search

Dallas - General Discussion

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Elena's become Southfork's Lana Lang. 

I feel terrible for Julie.  She's a dynamite actress who made Pamela real and three dimensional.  I cared about her.  Jordana isn't in the same league but will always have more story because Cidre thinks Elena is the sun. 

I am praying TNT cancels this worthless piece of shit show. 

• Love 4

I always forget that John Ross is supposed to be 35 years old. Half the time he acts like a very young and petulant asshole, like when he made the bare minimum effort to make amends with Pamela for CHEATING on her with more than one woman. Then she does the same thing he did ONCE, and that prick calls her a whore? He can fuck off. This bullshit bond between Emma and John Ross is built on nothing substantial and nothing more than a pathetic attempt to really get rid of Pamela for good.

• Love 3

With all of these other things, the message from JR that John Ross had saved has gone overlooked.  Apparently using previously-used audio from Larry Hagman, it said something like "Bobby signed the papers.  Welcome to Ewing Oil.  I'm proud of you."  I'm not sure of where to fit that message in the Dallas timeline though...

You lost me with the Lucy was never the bad girl?

Lucy Ewing in the original show, wasn't really bad; just spoiled. Okay, in the mini-series, she pulled some bratty and bad shit (trying to frame her guidance counselor for attacking her, but Pam shut that down shit, but FAST). But she was a neglected/abandoned teenager, who was overindulged and spoiled by her grandparents.

When she was being stalked by the photographer she slept with once, tried to get another photographer during her modeling days, he decided to kidnap her, and raped her while he was holding her. Thankfully, we were spared the rape scene.  I loved how Bobby slammed Roger The Rapist's ass against the wall when he and Pam went to go look for her and saved her.

Lemme see if I can find the clip...quality's not the best. It's obvious someone recorded this from a phone camera or whatever and then uploaded it...

Is it any wonder why I LOVE Bobby and wanted to marry him my own damn self?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

I'd say it's just another excuse for Cidre to stick on another one of her made up characters.

I'm assuming the plan now is to have Pam as public enemy number one until they wrote her out. Cidre hasn't written any decent place for her now that Elena will once again become John Ross's main woman and baby momma with Emma filling the role of BFF and now the new sister.

Last season Pamela owned. This season she was all but written out and id say part of this was mainly down to the positive reaction to Pamela compared to the negative reaction to the other two Cidre original characters. Cidre clearly doesn't care what fans think but you'd think TNT would maybe try and get some input. By sounds of the post finale articles Cidre has a very Elena centric season four planned and I can't see many continuing to tune in for that after nearly everyone tuning out this year. Are TNT actually going to continue paying big money for a show nobody is watching?

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 3

By sounds of the post finale articles Cidre has a very Elena centric season four planned and I can't see many continuing to tune in for that after nearly everyone tuning out this year.

Please. This WHOLE show has been Skeletor-centric since Day One. Awww, lookit poor Skeletor, caught between two cousins....aww, lookit poor "Ellie", the most righteous and perfect person who wants JUSTICE....Awww, lookit poor Skeletor, caught between her first love and brother....awww, lookit poor Skeletor, as she seeks JUSTICE for her Papi and Brother...

Next season: Awww, lookit poor Skeletor, pregnant with whose nino? Whatever shall she do? She must suffer in silence and hope for the best, because she's a good person and doesn't want to hurt anyone.

Me: BARF.

• Love 3

At the end of last season, someone put up a link to an opinion survey that Cidre and co. was hosting.  I blasted the whole Ramos family/TMSO, and also that I loved the "power couple" pairing of John Ross/Pamela.  And I know I wasn't alone in voicing those opinions.  Look where we are today.  The complete opposite of what viewers stated.

• Love 4

I'm very bummed the character of Christopher will no longer be part of the series.  Yes, he had turned into a drip with very little to do, but that could have always been corrected with a new storyline.  Wasn't the show supposed to be about how the rivalry between JR & Bobby trickled down to their sons?  Now one of those sons is gone?  It really hurts the focus of the show, if you ask me.  Though with JR gone, I suppose to balance the scales all we need is John Ross vs. Bobby?  

I wish producers would acknowledge other offspring that would seem vital to the drama.  I can't believe James wasn't at least mentioned during JR's funeral/will.  I'm hoping this new daughter is either Cally's presumed infant son, or the product of JR's affair with whacked-out Katherine Wentworth, just to keep it in the family.  The show is about the Ewings and the Barneses.  Having only one Ewing (John Ross) and one Barnes (Pamela) of their generation on the canvass really weakens the show.  Yes, you can have your Rylands and Ramos', but they should only serve as satellite characters around the core family.  Time to really mine this show's amazingly rich history and bring forth Lucas Krebbs, Margaret Krebbs, James Beaumont, his son Jimmy, Cally's unidentified child; hell, bring on Gary & Val's twins Bobby and Betsy while we're at it!  We are in desperate need of Ewings & Barneses here!

• Love 4

The problem with this show:

Too much Ramos!

Too much cartel!

Too much Ryland (although I like the team of John Ross and Mama Ryland) !

This show always was a drama about two families.  One of the best episodes of the reboot was the wedding when we got to see Afton at a down-home Southfork function.  Weddings, BBQs, the Oil Barron's Ball, Ewing family meals, all of these were rich with family drama.  Dallas 2.0 has turned into more thriller and less family drama.  Dallas needs to be family drama first.  You guys even lost my mom, the biggest Dallas fan of all time.  She hates the reboot.  If the writers can just get the show back to what it was... a family drama about two very rich very dysfunctional families, I think more of the show's core fans will come back.  I'm about to jump ship and I have seen every episode of 1.0 & 2.0.  Please writers please fix it!!!!!  Oh yeah, and I have posted many times bring back James, Cally & baby (who is now 20 something), & Lucas!  Bring Dallas back to its roots!    

• Love 4

This whole season's storyline was a loser for me - what a load of hooey and a real sign of a bankrupt writing team.  It was fun while it lasted.  

Now - along with a bunch of other junk recently watched - is off my list.  

Hoo-boy - what a crazy thing to have done to this thing.  I don't pay attention to ratings and haven't read reviews so I don't know if this season was a hit or a miss with most viewers but - ugh.

The poster named roughing it mentioned a survey that was available last year to provide TNT your thoughts on the second season of "Dallas."  Well, here's the link to a survey about the third season that just ended.  I filled it out honestly.  I really do love the show and appreciate its existence, so my overall input was positive, but I was candid about what I didn't like.  How about you?

https://www.tvinnercircle.com/S.aspx?s=526&r=N4MyzSh0G0.yu_oCNeCNYg&a=983&fromdetect=1

I filled out the survey and said there was too much Ramos and they needed to go.  I actually don't even mind Nicolas...I wish he had been brought on as a sneaky ambitious executive at Ewing Global instead of this cartel crap, or perhaps a rival exec at a start up and maybe he and Pamela could get something going...

Too much Ramos, too much Mexico and too much cartel.  All of them gots to go!

• Love 1

If they want Dallas: the Telenovela just spin the damn Ramos family into their own show.  Then have an occasional crossover.  Keep Dallas at it's roots of the Ewings vs the Barnes et al against whomever else.   Keep Christopher alive.  Give Cliff some long lost son to cause shenanigans.

• Love 2

1. Despise Elena

2. Despise Emma

3. Sick to death of everything associated with Mexico

4. Don't necessarily care that Christopher bit the dust.

5. Love John Ross

6. Love Judith

7. Love Bobby

8. More Pamela - Love her

9. Want Pamela BACK with John Ross

10 Would LOVE to see original Pamela back with Bobby. BTW, Is Victoria Principal still alive? Anybody know why she refused to be on the new Dallas? I assume she was asked..if alive.

11. Interested in seeing exactly who John Ross' sister happens to be.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 1

OK, I can understand why you feel that way, but she did some really shitty stuff to Pam when Bobby brought her home. I get that much of her stuff was because she was a spoiled brat but she did pull some shit just out of spite during the first couple of seasons.

Um...all of our talk about season four may be moot.  I just saw last night's ratings and they were pretty poor - 1.7 million total viewers. That is less than last week's numbers.  TNT canceled Men of a Certain Age when their season 2 finale came in at 1.8 million total viewers.   

OK, I can understand why you feel that way, but she did some really shitty stuff to Pam when Bobby brought her home. I get that much of her stuff was because she was a spoiled brat but she did pull some shit just out of spite during the first couple of seasons.

Actually, her spite was just in the first four episodes of the mini-series. After that, she and Pam were on friendly terms. And a lot of the "first" full season was her acting out.

I guess it depends on whatever else TNT wants to air that determines If Dallas gets renewed with those numbers. I think they've been steadily going down from season to season.

If it does get cancelled I wouldn't care although if it gets renewed I'd probably watch at least the first few episodes. I'm a little curious about who this sister is although I wish they went with James or Callie's child but that wouldn't be a Cidre creation.

Loved the scene with John Ross and Mama Ryland teaming up as well as the mention of the Lesser Prairie Chicken, lol. Enjoyed Pamela's scenes as short as they were. I doubt she's going to get Cliff out of jail since she still has a grudge against him. I won't miss Christopher at all.

yeah, so I'm out.

I made a deal with myself…went something like this:

SueEllen, the lifeless exposition monkey= I'm out.

Elena lives= I'm out.

So, yeah, I'm out, squared.

That's math, Cidre.  You might want to familiarize yourself with it and it's association with ratings and advertising revenue.

100k to blow up a car?  Folks in my neighborhood will do that for less than a grand.  Just sayin'

• Love 3

I'm not seeing how Elena skated by on anything. Her life is a shambles. She found out that she was played for a fool and made enemies of people she considered like family, her brother was killed by a man she brought back into their lives, and said man screwed with her diaphragm and has stuck her with a kid she didn't want or ask for. And judging from Cidre's interview, she's not only going to be shunned but also struggle with PPD. Not to mention she pretty much witnessed the death of her first love right in front of her. That hardly sounds like the triumphant heroine.

• Love 1

Anything Elena got she brought on herself. She hasn't even been called out on half the shit she's pulled. Chris and her brothers death is an indirect result of her stupid revenge plot. If she's shunned (which she won't be for long) it's because she fucking should be. She doesn't deserve the Ewings. They've let her away with far too much as it is.

As for the pregnancy.. yeah it's messed up but i don't think she's helped the situation by sleeping with all the leading men either.

I guess I just can't pity her because we know how Cidre loves her so it's obvious that by the next season she'll be right there in the middle of them with John Ross's baby getting her happy ending while judging and spinning her righteous yarn on everyone else. Meanwhile every other female in the show (or probably just Pamela as the lone non Cidre creation) gets shat on.

Also, outside of Chris being her first love I'm not too big on her being that upset (unless it's to make it all about her). She couldn't have cared less about him this season and they'd only just broken up. She's gone from John Ross to Christopher to Jaoquin back to John Ross all in the space of a year or so. She's barely reacted to either of the Ewing breakups. She's like a robot.

Or a succubus of all Dallas leading men.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 8

tinderbox, I totally agree with everything you feel! I will not watch if it comes on for another season and that's a big IF. It turned into a joke from the beginning season with that skelitor wonky eyed family. I can not believe they give her all this storyline when the dynamic couple of John Ross and Pamela is really who viewers are screaming out for! Also, that damn cartel. Never was interested in that kind of crap south of the border and never will be. Was so excited for Dallas to bring back the warm fuzzies with Bobby, Sue Ellen and of course the late great J.R. but noooooo! This show litterally. went south! I remember how I lost all interest in Weeds when they started all this mexican cartel crap. Thery're ratings got crappy around that storyline also, I believe.

• Love 2

Cidre's got a new interview up at Dallas Fanzine (link for the site below, and click "Interviews" to get to the inteview. And their webmaster seriously needs to update the site, which has one of the best designs of 1998).

Some tidbits:

• Cally was specifically brought back for JR's funeral so her and JR's daughter could be introduced later. Apparently, Cathy Podewell lives two houses down from Cidre.
  • Katherine Wentworth is not dead, and Cidre has both apologized to Morgan Brittany for the error and hints that she (Katherine) may be returning next season.
  • Lucas Wade (Bobby's son with Jenna) may be a character next season.
  • Cidre thinks Larry Hagman would have approved of the show's direction. (That sound you heard was likely GHScorpiosRule simultaneously laughing hysterically and retching, which is not easy to do. My compliments.)

http://dallasfanzine.com/

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 3

Actually, her spite was just in the first four episodes of the mini-series. After that, she and Pam were on friendly terms. And a lot of the "first" full season was her acting out.

She was portrayed as someone who'd never had decent parenting: Gary had run off from Dallas, Val was banished from Southfork, Ellie was too old to keep up with Lucy, Sue Ellen couldn't have cared less about the offspring of a brother JR had only contempt for, and Jock, JR and Bobby all considered parenting a girl something the women take care of, not the men.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS

Hopefully with Christopher gone, Elena gets no more Ewing Cap'n Save A Ho benefits and has to own her ish. None of the other Ewings gave 2 damns about Elena being off with Nicolas except Christopher. The only Ewing I can see giving her another chance is Bobby, because Sue Ellen was like Gurl Bye back in Season 1. I guess that's why they kept Nicolas. SOMEBODY needs to blow smoke up Elena's now that Christopher is gone.

I wonder if the actor had the same concerns about the writing for Christopher and the character constantly running after Elena and the writers said "Ok, we'll fix you by killing your character off." The producer lady basically said Christopher was a non-entity so he had to go (but that would be the writers' fault, not the actor. He can only work with what he's given."

Edited by drivethroo

That was horrible.  It's like watching two shows.  Dallas a show I like which has scenes with Bobby, Sue Ellen, John Ross, and Pambecca.  Then it keeps getting interrupted by this stupid drug dealing Mexican cartel show which sucks.

I like Bobby and Sue Ellen's loyalty to each other.  Sue Ellen looking at the alcohol, and Bobby immediately reassuring her John Ross would be okay was a nice touch.  So was Bobby and Sue Ellen talking about missing JR in front of his portrait.

Pambecca should have decked John Ross when he called her a whore.  Newsflash, John Ross, you cheat on your wife, you lose any and all rights to say anything about what she does after she has dumped your lying cheating ass.

• Love 2

It's possible. I noticed she also said in that interview that John Ross is more or less carrying the show. I kind of took that as a sly dig as well.

I think Cidre basically wants a show that focuses on John Ross, Elena, the mexican cartel and Emma. I reckon they'll continue to degrade Pamela before writing her out completely next season.

The only Ewing I can see giving her another chance is Bobby, because Sue Ellen was like Gurl Bye back in Season 1.

I'd say John Ross will be back up her ass once he realises she's having his baby next season. He'd probably be back up there regardless. It's not Dallas 2.0 unless everybody loves Elena.

• Love 1

I'm not seeing how Elena skated by on anything. Her life is a shambles. She found out that she was played for a fool and made enemies of people she considered like family, her brother was killed by a man she brought back into their lives, and said man screwed with her diaphragm and has stuck her with a kid she didn't want or ask for. And judging from Cidre's interview, she's not only going to be shunned but also struggle with PPD. Not to mention she pretty much witnessed the death of her first love right in front of her. That hardly sounds like the triumphant heroine.

If any of this had been played as comeuppance, I might agree. But it's not. It's Perils of Pauline stuff, reasons why she is a heroine by virtue of being a victim, which is something I hate. Elena Nobly Suffers at the Hands of Bad People, Don't You Feel Sorry For Her? No, I do not. It's terrible writing.

• Love 7

Elena Nobly Suffers at the Hands of Bad People, Don't You Feel Sorry For Her?

Except who were the bad people and when has she ever suffered? They don't even bother showing us. We just get some stupid sob story about Papi and we're supposed to be on board with everything.

• Love 1

The producer lady basically said Christopher was a non-entity so he had to go (but that would be the writers' fault, not the actor. He can only work with what he's given.

Yes and no. Metcalfe can only work with what he's given to be sure, but Henderson is a better actor and more appealing screen presence. Therefore, the writers will naturally gravitate towards giving him the juicy storylines because he can make more with them. A similar situation would be the original series itself, in which JR was initially only a supporting character; Hagman was so good that everyone (even PD and VP) wanted to see more of him and less of Bobby and Pam (I believe PD's quote from years later was "You couldn't take your eyes off him"). So that's the way the writers went. Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 1

Yeah but if you take that logic then you have to wonder why the show became all about Elena when Pamela/Julie was clearly the better character and actress. She was also more favorably received.

Because Cidre sees the Ramos family as her characters and has a vested interest in pushing them. Gonzalo is the better actress and Pambecca the better character, and the show would benefit by giving Pambecca more to do.
  • Love 2

Good point.

Well Cidre, thank you for making me love Pambecca and Pambecca/John Ross and then subsequently dissecting them piece by piece.

Given the decline in the ratings since her vested interests took over the show, it's unbelievable that she'd actually risk the entire show in order to get viewers too like her characters.

It doesn't say a lot about her professionalism to me.

• Love 3

Except who were the bad people and when has she ever suffered? They don't even bother showing us. We just get some stupid sob story about Papi and we're supposed to be on board with everything.

I think we're supposed to see Elena as a victim of Nicoquin (don't care, lie down with married druglords, get up with a some very nasty fleas) and the Barnes-Ewing Feud (please, I can't even). Certainly nothing is truly her fault! It's ridiculous.

I said at the beginning of this season (I think it might've been back at TWoP) that they should have just gone ahead and made Elena a villain, the scorned (in her mind) woman out for revenge, playing dirty and vicious and being completely unapologetic about it. That could have been interesting. Instead, she's been just as boring and self-righteous this season as she ever was, with far less justification.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 6

When she and Chrisopher entered the house no one called her on her shit or mentioned her betrayal at all.

THIS!  I was screaming at the telly, 'You don't fucking BELONG there!'  Oy.

Wow, Christopher's gone, eh?  Hmmmm, pass the chips.

Who was that hot rescue dude John Ross hired?  Between him and Hot Daddy, Vixy's ovaries were workin' overtime last night.

So are TPTB gonna add Melinda Clarke's old Pia Zadora lookin' ass next season?!  If you must have Tracy back on the canvas, either get Beth Toussaint or a hot looking actress, not Frumpy van Frumpleton.  And Anne sho'nuff had that bitch's number when they were introduced....all I know is if I had seen that text I would have invited the ho to lunch and properly introduced myself; any flirting after that gets her ass handed to her in a muhfuckin' sling!

So are TPTB gonna add Melinda Clarke's old Pia Zadora lookin' ass next season?!  If you must have Tracy back on the canvas, either get Beth Toussaint or a hot looking actress, not Frumpy van Frumpleton.

It looks like she's both botoxed herself and done a Lara Flynn Boyle on her lips. The results are not good.

Um...I have a different interpretation of what Cidre said.  The interviewer asked about “JR’s son with Cally” (the baby's gender being  established as canon towards the end of the last season) along with Lucas and some other characters.  Here is Cidre’s reply:

Cally who was in the J.R.’s Masterpiece episode; we wanted to her on the show and the casting director couldn’t find for some reason and then because it’s a very small world it turns out that she’s my neighbor who I’ve known for ten years.  And she did say once; when I started working for Dallas, she said she used to be on the show.  She probably even told me who she was but it didn’t stick with me and yes, she literally she lives two houses from me!  So we thought about her, we thought about her child.  We talk about Lucas and the people who are out there and we have plans you know to get a few of those for next season. (Boldface added)

Now it may be that Cidre is going to do a gender switch, but I don't read that into the fact that she didn't say "we thought about her son" instead of "her child".  It sounds like that they wanted Cally because she was JR's other wife, and at the time they initially were trying to cast her Cidre didn't not even realize her neighbor had played Cally.  Just my interpretation :)

Is the governor really going to appoint a madam as the railroad commissioner?   That was a bit of a stretch to me.

Well I don't think the governor is aware of this aspect of Judith's life, or he thinks she can keep it secret.  Of course, her predecessor (yes, Bobby!) did some pimping to keep Ewing Oil clients happy, before he returned from eloping with Pam (in the 1978 pilot) and decided he wanted to move into a management position.  In fact, Bobby and Judith may have employed some of the same women!

Edited by bagert
  • Love 1

If any of this had been played as comeuppance, I might agree. But it's not. It's Perils of Pauline stuff, reasons why she is a heroine by virtue of being a victim, which is something I hate. Elena Nobly Suffers at the Hands of Bad People, Don't You Feel Sorry For Her? No, I do not. It's terrible writing.

Yes..It's all about absolving Elena of shit she actively engaged in, or butted her nose into (Cliff in jail). Just like Nicolas, he can miss me with the John Ross "made" her degrade herself bullshit.

Edited by Sugarbaker
  • Love 4

I didn't love most of Chris' stories, but I didn't want him to DIE. Especially to cap off such a grim storyline - it's too much.

I would agree that John Ross ended up getting more story because the actor was more dynamic (and also there's more you can do with the bad boy). But I do think they handicapped Jesse Metcalfe with the writing for Chris. Although, as dumb as the Heather story was, I still preferred it to the Mexican drug stuff!

This show is sorely lacking in fun, especially after losing Larry Hagman. John Ross and Pambecca scheming with and sometimes against each other, and both having affairs ... that would've been fun. Giving Chris a better, more fun love interest might've worked.

Instead, we got the nasty drug cartel stuff. And Elena's unsmiling, self righteous passive aggression all season.

And John Ross calling Pambecca a whore - which was so dumb! Um, yeah John Ross, you cheated on her repeatedly and she basically told you she was only staying in the marriage for business. He looked like a moron getting so indignant about it.

(Random note: did Elena's hair grow four inches between the time she was puking and when she walked out to the parking lot in time for the explosion??)

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2

Considering who the possible fathers of her child are, wouldn't Elena just have an abortion. Why continue the pregnancy with her life in shambles?

I thought Bobby would go to prison for his railroad stunt with the cartel. Didn't he flat out say that doing that would certainly send him to prison? How did he get away with that??

No doubt we'll find out she's a hard-core Catholic, even though she's never once made any religious comments.

She's such a hard-core Catholic that both of her potential baby daddies are married to other people...and she KNEW they were married to other people when she spread her legs for them.

That's why if we MUST have Nicolas on Season 4 that Lucia comes and puts her elegant foot straight up Elena's ass.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 7

Yeah, killing Christopher is a "bold" choice.  But it loses something because there was a nice parallel between the Bobby/JR balance of the original show and the John Ross/Christopher rivalry here.  So I think it might be a mistake.  And I think he's gone for good. 

Ms. Cidre is pretty confident in that EW interview there will be a Season 4.  But count no chickens...

I love Judith Light, but man, she ramped up the scenery chewing these last few episodes.  Never mind the fire--if she hangs around Southfork there'll be nothing left.