Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: Death Becomes Them

Favorite quote I semi-remember: Nora seeing Megan come up to her "I'm so glad I got you" 

Me:" Fuck yeah! Megan doing the perky goat?! Damn right you should be glad Nora."  But it's nice to see the appreciation of Megan when she deserves it.  Also Ben's creepy uncle model did absolutely friggin incredible too. *shivers*

But just so maybe we don't have to hear these comments again. Special effects makeup schools? Can you please be sure to do units in both A. Beauty makeup and B Ethnic makeup  so we don't have to hear the whiny pants-ness again. It's like the Project Runway designers whining when they have to dress real people. Hey non-model thin people and people that aren't white are quite common! It's an extremely bad reflection of your skills and training if you can't work with said people.

Edited by Monty9
  • Love 11

Ben's creepy uncle was incredible. The eyes especially sold it, just looking out from the mask, he creeped me out on the TV. I fully believe that Ve was freaked seeing it close up.

Perky Black Sheep I think was partly sold by Megan, but it was quite good. 

The 1 hour fixup is a good twist, especially with the final slot on the line. I hope they keep doing it in the future. 

As for the final three looks; it was a tossup between Bully Brother and Zombie Dad I think. Spinster Aunt did improve from last looks 2.0, but she didn't really seem to click for me. I think the models were exhausted from the extra time though; they were a lot less active the second time up. For the final winner? I almost want a tie, but I guess I'm fine with Bull-y Brother winning.

• Love 2

Complete and utter bullshit that Scott was passed over and that Evan got in. That turd couldn't be polished and all the references to "form language" or "speckle patterning" or whatever other jargon they want to throw around will never convince me this was anything other than a push by producers or some other higher ups to get Evan in.

They should give the 100000 to Ben for that creepy uncle. Probably the best makeup ever.

• Love 11

Ben's George Jefferson creepy uncle was very good. Also liked Nora's Black Sheep. The spinster one didn't do it for me and it was a toss-up between the other two. Too bad there wasn't the possibility of an extra hour given in some of the other eps. Thought it was odd that the ep seemed to be ending at 7:45 pm here and wondered what sort of twist would be coming.

The makeup schools do need "electives" in terms of beauty makeup, ethnic makeup, and general aesthetics. Showing the budding artists how to properly research and conceptualize what they are working on - i.e. whimsy. Macabre does not always equal horror or monsters.

Ben's uncle looked a creepy version of himself. Loved it. I like Nora as a person, but I always find her creations to be kind of boring and felt the same tonight. She did have a great character idea and since she has been in the top looks so much, she deserved her spot.

I was a little confused as to the comments that the spinster aunt didn't fit the challenge. They were told to create a character that was unique to them so she fit in the same as the others. I know they referenced The Munsters and The Adams family, but the bull and goat didn't look really human either. I was hoping Scott would make it into the finale, but happy for the ones that did.

• Love 2

Damn it all to hell, I KNEW they wouldn't let Scott go to the finale because he's over 40. I'm so surpised at how ageist these judges seem to be, especially considering none of them are spring chickens.

I have loved Nora all season, more for her personality than her work, but I thought hers was boring tonight. Ben's was awesome, and even though I had previously complained about how he's bad, then good, then bad, then good, he definitely deserved his spot in the finale.

Evan: meh.

These guys are all so nice, though. They are so supportive of each other. One thing I noticed about Evan all season was how he was always rushing to someone's side when they were having a rough time.

I'm sorry I won't see Scott in the finale, but I don't really care who wins. Every season, except for Rashaad and Dina's seasons, I haven't really cared who won because everyone is so likeable. Rashaad and Dina were special for me, though. I was pulling HARD for those two wins.

• Love 5

I was rooting for Norah, and I'm glad she made it, but I have no idea why, if her chipper black sheep concept fit the challenge, then Jordan's cartoon cliché of a spinster aunt did not.

As I understood the challenge, they were supposed to mix their characters with humor and horror. I didn't see anything approaching horror in Norah's sculpt, and there wasn't much that read as humorous to me in Jordan's. Scott's zombie dad had a bit of both, in its first appearance. The judges seemed to be encouraging him to ramp up the horror when he had the extra time but, while he tweaked the paint job a bit, he didn't really strengthen that aspect of the character much.  Evan's bully brother had neither humor nor horror and, imo, came out of the second chance round looking worse than when he started. I didn't at all get what the judges saw that elevated his work over the other two.

Really the only one of the five that produced what the challenge called for was Ben, a great concept, a great technical sculpt and a genuinely funny/scary character.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2

Ben's character was terrific.  I liked Scott's a lot too.  In fact, I thought Scott and Jordan's characters were much better than Nora's and Evan's so I was shocked by the judges' decisions.  I'm still shaking my head over Scott not being a finalist.  I hope Ben wins.

• Love 7

Favorite quote I semi-remember: Nora seeing Megan come up to her "I'm so glad I got you" 

Me:" Fuck yeah! Megan doing the perky goat?! Damn right you should be glad Nora."  But it's nice to see the appreciation of Megan when she deserves it.  Also Ben's creepy uncle model did absolutely friggin incredible too. *shivers*

If I was a contestant on the show I would pick Megan every time and fight people over getting her. You KNOW she's going to sell the make-up even if it's so-so (and the contestants in the last several seasons who also watch the show have known that going in as well). Thought Ben's was the best though, and the model completely sold the creepy side. I knew Ben was in as soon as Ve was creeped out.

I have no idea how Evan made it over Scott (who had the better overall make-up of the final 3) or Jordan (who thought outside the box the most and who seemed to do more work in the last hour). At least this time they didn't have the semi-finalist losers go through the faux ritual of having them being filmed packing their kit, only to return minutes later when the finale starts. 

Edited by Mr. Simpatico
  • Love 6

While Nora's black sheep was okay they shouldn't have given her a finalist spot automatically. Both Scott and Jordan had characters that fit much better in an Adam's family "family". To literally make a bully a bull and a black sheep a sheep does not fit into the given task for this episode. They always say "It didn't satisfy the challenge at hand" when the make up is great but they have to decide between artists. Both of these makeups did not meet the challenge at hand. If this was a challenge to make a animal like family it would have. Why did they overlook the obvious? Scott and Jordan should have been in over Nora. Megan did do a great job selling the makeup however I think that made the judges overlook the literal translation for for a black sheep of the family and Bull Bully. They should have been human characters instead of animals. Also as a side note, did anyone else notice Evan's obvious copy of the anime Attack on Titan Collosal Titan for his "Death" Episode 9 Four Horseman character? It was an exact copy that I am surprised no one called him out on it. Do a Google search on "Attack on Titan Collosal Titan" and you will see what I am talking about if you are not familiar with Attack on Titan.

Edited by Reecepieces
  • Love 4

Boo for Scott not making it to the finale.  He's work throughout the whole season has been consistent and good.  His "Ward Cleaver" zombie was a great idea and well done.  Plus, more original than a bully who is literally a bull. Sigh.

Ben's was definitely the best. 

• Love 10

I've been underwhelmed all season by Nora and her waffling characters.  yeah, she's a nice positive person but she was definitely not the best one out there last night. My favs were the creepy uncle and zombie dad.

• Love 6

Ben's uncle looked a creepy version of himself.

That's exactly what I said when I first saw it! I love that he's a balding guy who finds humor in male pattern baldness. And apologies if this has been covered and I missed it, but is that a caricature of himself on his T-shirt?

I actually really liked Nora's. The idea that a black sheep in a Munsters-like family would be the sunny optimist was a good one (if not entirely original), and the sculpt was adorable.

I also wish Scott had made it over Evan. Even when Evan has won I usually haven't understood why, and his losers have really been duds. He does seem like a nice guy, but Scott was stronger overall. Also sad that Scott went out on a tribute to his dad, though I agreed that it didn't quite read Zombie enough - mostly just a grey grandpa. Walking Dad was a cute joke.

Jordan's over-the-top spinster made me laugh out loud (in the way he intended), so I would have chosen him over Evan as well. I didn't expect the third slot to go to "most improved" over "most talented."

• Love 4

I really liked the chance to go back and improve on the look for the finale, but it still felt to me like a way to justify Evan getting in rather than Scott, whose look was so much better originally. I'm not sure why, but that whole move seemed slanted toward Evan. Still, love the show, love the contestants and their hugs and high fives, love the models who throw themselves into their roles (Megan, of course, being my favorite) - so this is still my top non-scripted program!

• Love 4

I was shocked that Scott didn't make the finale. I thought his zombie dad was really good and clever. I liked Scott and Ben's the most. As always though, I'm sure there are significant differences between seeing them live like the judges do and seeing them on television. I generally really respect these judges, but I really felt like Scott should have gone on to the finale.

• Love 6

I am soooo upset that Scott isn't in the finale, he was consistently awesome throughout the entire season! Was it producer-pushed? Was it ageism? I'm not sure but I'm just pissed off about it.

You should have seen Twitter light up last night. People were pissed that he went home. Jordan I could kind of see (not happy with his spinster) but SCOTT?

Puh-leeze.

• Love 4

Creepy guy and zombie dad were the best. Sheep/goat girl and bull boy were the worst. I think they manipulated it for Evan since they want Nora to win and know Evan is less competition. Don't get me wrong, I like Nora but some of her previous looks haven't been done well and goat girl only seemed decent because of the excellent model. Nora and Evan have had bottom looks in the past. Scott and Jordan, IIRC, have never been in the bottom. Bull and goat were so literal and unimaginative. SCOTT WAS ROBBED! This entire season has sucked so I am not surprised it continues to suck. I still find it laughable that they often had separate contests to just focus on the face, lol, they should always focus on the face. Ben FTW (or Nora but his creepy guy beats anything created this season so he is now my #1---which means they will pick Evan…lol)

• Love 4

Yeah, in agreement with most of y'all : I wasn't too impressed by Bully & Black Sheep, and I would have liked to see Walking Dad get in the finals, he deserved it. However, not too surprised about Nora's finalist status, she's always been a favorite of the show/producers/judges, and she delivers solid (albeit unmemorable, as far as i'm concerned) work.

I can't say I'm particularly invested in this year's finals, though.

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 4

Like many of you, I haven't really had a horse in this race, since none of the contestants seemed to consistently produce high-quality work.  I have loved Nora all along, but it is definitely more for her, and less for her work, that I find appealing.  I also really liked Jordon because I think he's cute (I'm shallow, sue me), but he also seemed to think outside the box and created some very nice pieces. Ben and Scott were fine.  Evan bugged me because he was sort of a whiner and always seemed to TH about how bad his makeup was and how he was going home or he was lost... to my untrained eye he has been the most inconsistent of the remaining 5.  But then again, none of these guys really produced a "wow" piece this year, did they? 

So I guess I would have been happy with any of them making the final three, other than Evan.  So who makes it?  And with a literal bull for a bully?  Ugh! Again, Evan is a nice guy.  They are all nice people, but I think he's the least talented.  Therefore, Nora or Ben for the win (she said with little enthusiasm).

Here's hoping next year's crop of contestants is better.

• Love 2

I wasn't particularly thrilled that Evan got the third spot. I felt like he was the weakest of the five remaining designers.

I was upset Evan won, particularly since his project looked exactly like a previous entry of his. They've called other, better artists out on that before, but didn't say a word here? I call shenanigans.

• Love 4

I can't help but be really pissed that Ben made the finals.  Yes, his final character was great - but Scott and Jordan were way way WAY more consistent through the competition and it is totally unfair that the judges' favoritism kept Ben in the competition after he should have been gone.

I don't even think I can watch the finale because I will be so disheartened with the show if Ben wins.

These were ok, but I can't help thinking about the previous season which did highschool characters and did them so much better --

Cig's Manny Minotaur

8zjOm5u.jpg

And this killer Emo Goat -

AngqV2R.jpg

So I guess I'm ready for the next season, is what I'm saying.

• Love 6

If the bull and sheep didn't meet the challenge on account of being a bull and sheep, Mr. Westmore would have said so. He always points out to the contestants if their concepts don't fit.

Going into tonight, Scott was the only one that I was sure would be a finalist. But, and I know it was intended as a tribute to his dad and so I feel bad for saying it, his end product was boring as hell. He really put himself in a hole by choosing Stern Dad in the first place - that was just so much less interesting a concept to start with than the others. He put a zombie twist on it and that could've been fun, but his execution just really did nothing. It was solid but boring. I wouldn't even have known it was a zombie if he hadn't said so. It just looked like a stern dad. Yawnsville, and he was easily the bottom for me once Evan fixed his makeup. And that was the problem, the only thing Scott had going for him was that his dad was technically well-done even if dull, but once the others fixed their makeups, as Glenn said, Scott wasn't able to stay on top.

I would've gone with Jordan over Evan myself, but I acknowledge that it was impressive to do an entire paint job in an hour and I think the enormity of that feat may have influenced the judges.

Before Nora told Megan that she was so glad to have gotten her, Megan told Nora that she was glad that Nora was still there. Interesting, it might be the first time we've heard a model express a preference. I'm sure they all have their preferences, whom they like to work with and don't, but I don't remember hearing one expressed before. A little part of me kinda ships the idea of Megan/Nora now, heh. After all, McKenzie and Patrick met through Face Off...

• Love 3

That's exactly what I said when I first saw it! I love that he's a balding guy who finds humor in male pattern baldness. And apologies if this has been covered and I missed it, but is that a caricature of himself on his T-shirt?

I thought that too. But who wears a picture of themselves on a t-shirt?

• Love 2

Maybe someone else said this and I missed it, but the creepy uncle put me in mind of Keegan-Michael Key's basketball coach character.

I found this episode underwhelming, but I did think the extra hour for revision was a genius move. It seemed like a situation they might find themselves in professionally.

Ok, I'm going to come right out and say it: I think this is the most boring bunch of finalists we've ever had. They're not unlikable, just . . . boring. I'm not at all excited about the finale.

• Love 6

I found this episode underwhelming, but I did think the extra hour for revision was a genius move. It seemed like a situation they might find themselves in professionally.

Ok, I'm going to come right out and say it: I think this is the most boring bunch of finalists we've ever had. They're not unlikable, just . . . boring. I'm not at all excited about the finale.

I agree. I was underwhelmed by most of the designs. And yeah, nobody from this season is amazing. I'm rooting for Nora, but she's nowhere near as talented as most of the previous winners. (I don't think Darla from last season was that great either.)

• Love 2

F*** you show!  I thought Jordan and especially Scott were robbed.  They deserved to be there ahead of Ben and Nora.  I'm especially annoyed that Ben is there, considering some of the crap he's put out in recent weeks.  I don't think I'll bother with the finale, because I don't think the best people are there.  For me, a crappy end to a crappy season.

Merneith, I still freakin' love that emo goat. Thanks for the pic!

I wasn't sure how they'd be able to translate the "inappropriate uncle" idea into a concrete makeup, but Ben (and his model) did a great job. Loved how he was being so creepy to Ve at the closeup looks. Hee!

The judging has always been so subjective on this show (are they judging solely on tonight's makeups, or do they take past performance into account, what is creepy/macabre/whimsical to me may not be the same to you, etc etc) so I can't get too worked up over the results. While they've had some interesting challenges and some decent contestants this year, none of them have… popped for me, so to speak. In the past, I was excited to see what Dina and Anthony and Laura would come up with every week, what beautiful new looks they'd create, and and I looked forward to Tuesday night. This season, it's just kind of… there. Still think that cutting back to one season per year would be a good move, but SyFy seems set on having two per year no matter how thin the talent pool gets. *shrug*

• Love 2

Manny Minotaury is one of my favorite things ever on this show--I loved me some Cig Neutron, and I'm not even playing.

I'll add to the "Scott was ROBBED!" chorus...I was really surprised when they called Evan's name, because it seemed to me that Scott's was the one with the least problems initially, and that fit the challenge best. Evan's, to me, still looked like his dog character from the wedding challenge.

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 5

I was really surprised when they called Evan's name, because it seemed to me that Scott's was the one with the least problems initially, and that fit the challenge best.

Even the judges commented that he had less to do than the others, because it was superior before they started. That makes the whole "go back and improve it" complete bullshit. If he did too much, he would ruin what was a superior job to begin with. So, downgrading him for not transforming his original idea more was unfair. Transform into what? Something less effective? 

And, no, I don't think Nora should have been put straight through. I found her work this episode to be even more bland than usual. As for what Westmoreland did or did not say, we don't really know what all he says, since it's edited to fit the story. More importantly, he's not a judge. The explanation we were shown was to make them human characters that combined humor and horror. Nora didn't do that, and she didn't even make her non-human, humor-only character very interesting, in my opinion.

• Love 2

I Ben and Nora's were the best but i agree that Scott should have gone through. I think the judges liked Evans sculpt and basically all he had to do to please them was take the wig off and wash the guys face. But Scott's was much more in tune with the challenge and if they were going by who added the most it should have been Jordan who really transformed his piece.

Maybe this is just me rationalizing it, but I think it goes back to what we say about the job interview aspect of the show.  In a professional setting, it's very realistic to expect that an artist would get feedback and expect to adapt to it.  Evan did that, and I guess you could argue that he had the farthest to go.  Scott didn't.

They specifically told Scott to highlight the wound on his "Dad's" head, and he didn't do that.

ETA: They had a sneak preview of the finale last night that was essentially the first 15 minutes of the show. My DVR caught it because it was a "new" FaceOff episode.  Anyhow, it looks to be a good challenge.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

I feel as if Scott had done some more in the way of rotting flesh - rather as he did on the hand - on his character's face that might have but it over the top. That might have been beyond what could be done with a "last looks" type hour, though...did they have any access to things outside of paint and such? Though it still seems as though a skillful paint job could have brought that across by itself. I did really like it over Evan's and Jordan's though, and was really surprised that he didn't make it.

By the way, in total agreement with Bella that the character completely brought Bob Newhart to mind!