Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

When Mark blew that whistle it reminded me of Captain Von Trap in the Sound of Music 

OMG, totally!

Islandgal, perhaps I was a bit unfair to Devar's mom, as I was somewhat distracted during the meeting scene. I just noticed how many times she said variations of "I can't tell him who to pick", which seemed kind of cold to me. You're right, of course, that Bev was much worse.

Devar seemed very concerned to me about his mother's reaction to his fiance being white; I was surprised he put the question out there that baldly, too, but what the hell--after Bev's performance, maybe he got the idea that one can blurt out whatever they want in America? :)

She wasn't Mother Warmth but she was a damn sight better than Mel's sister. Mel wasn't called a diseased whore. Mel was hugged, offered food and a home cooked meal and his mom hoped that her son would be a good stepdad to her son and they would be together forever. Maybe she just isn't effusive but that could be due to the fractured mother/son relationship? I probably stand alone but I thought the grill question of 'how do you feel about me marrying a white woman' was a bit much. Why doesn't Devar (or Mel) ask the same question of his new in-laws? Afraid of the answer? Already know the answer? Maybe this is me being overly sensitive but it kinda chaps my ass to see the whole potentially 'hating on black men/white women' trope thrown into the lap of the black woman shown on this show. YMMV.

Nope. Right there with you. It was if Devar was trying to get his mother to say on camera that she doesn't want him to marry a white woman. And mama wasn't falling for it. She was like "Pfft, whatever dude. It's your life. Talk to Danny's father." I wonder where in MD she and Paulette live.

Ok now I think I understand the layout of Kyle's filthy ass funhouse. The roommate has the bedroom and Kyle sleeps in the living room. That's why the roommate has to pass through Kyle's "bedroom" to get back and forth. Oh Noon. She's better than me. I couldn't sleep or eat in a place where I saw roaches. And when she screamed and pointed out that one was crawling on the wall of the freaking kitchen, Kyle just casually, and with annoyance in his voice, told her to kill it. No, you kill it assface. I can't imagine what his personal hygiene must be like. I can't look at him without imagining he smells really badly.

Ok, this is the second time Aleksandra has said the "bad person" line. This time about her tattoo. There's nothing wrong with this young lady's English. She knows exactly what she's saying. Her shyness and awkwardness doesn't have anything to do with a language barrier imo. It's because the Mormon kid and his family are creepy as hell. You can see it in her body language when she has to sit at their dry ass dinners and family gatherings. She stretched herself as far away as she could from those two weird kids at the cook out.

Fernando sounded like he was about to have a heart attack. I couldn't tell if it was because he was excited or because he wore himself out from walking up those two steps.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 15

I still think TLC is making the most of Kyle and Noon's bug infested, with weird roommate living situation. I know some people are pigs, but he does not appear to be demented, so you would think he would have brought in an exterminator or called the landlord or at a minimum bought a damn can of Raid. Maybe it's just his coloring, but Kyle always seems to look like he has a massive hangover and his eyes are perpetually red and watery.

Mel and Devar - as soon as I saw the Rolex sign on the jewelry store, I know it would be be big $$$$ to buy rings there. $2400 for a simple band with a few microscopic diamonds? Oh my, you can get such a better deal other places. Why are Mel's parents paying for the rings? I thought Mel had a god job. It's seems like a weird thing for parents to buy their child and future son in law. TLC punked us big time with the telling Devar's mom scene. The previews made it seem like she was going to be a bitch and forbid the marriage. Devar has been trying for a green card for years? Hmmm....

Alexsandra is a good kid who has been convinced by those Rexburgites that she is some horrible sinner. Talk about judgey  eyes (TM Meghan) coming from all directions. I loved when one of the many family members assumed she was another one of the huge clan and asked her how they were related. It seems like everyone is related to each other. 

Oh, God the shot of Fernando from behind walking toward Carolina's house was not a good look. I could see his enormous muffin tops through his shirt. Psst Fernando, wearing baggy pants and shirts hides nothing. And he was huffing and puffing when he got to her door and immediately had to sit down. Watch out Carolina, if he doesn't get healthy, you will end jp as his cartaker.  I also noticed that Carolina's dining room table came with a tablecloth. Who knew? I want to know what Carolina was cooking. It looked delicious. 

No words for Mark and Nikki. The train whistle, the car just like my wife's, the zebras running wild, the weeding and wheelbarrow. Mark thinks he;s such a funny cool guy, doesn't he? Those shirts be damned!!

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 5

Fernando gives new meaning to the term "muffin top".

Mel and Devar - as soon as I saw the Rolex sign on the jewelry store, I know it would be be big $$$$ to buy rings there. $2400 for a simple band with a few microscopic diamonds?

He shoulda gone to Jared's.

• Love 7

OK...Devar and Mel.  I still think something's up -- not right -- whatever, with these two.  Last night's episode just solidified it for me.  Her parents are buying the rings?  Bizarre in itself...but speaks volumes, to me, that she doesn't go for the least expensive rings, in that case, but somewhere in the middle.  I'd be mortified if someone else were buying my rings, especially if I had a good paying job (you know, the kind where you can jet off to Jamaica whenever you want?)..but I guess that just gives us further insight into Mel, and how her mind works.  Devar...did anyone else think it was odd, that little snippet of info around the table, where Mel asks Devar's mom, "Oh, so it's your intention to bring all your kids here?", and Devar's mom says something like, "Yeah, that was the plan, but it takes a long time, and then when Devar met you, he was like, "I'll drop this process, and go with the K1 visa, instead....."  Smart move, Devar...whatever gets you into the US the soonest...through mom, or some woman you met on vacay.  I don't have a good feeling about this couple.  They seem like Jerry Springer rejects.

Mark and Nikki....what can you say?  He's buying her a car to keep her happy, she seems to "expect" such gifts (just a vibe I have), and then let's it slip that he bought Wife #1 the same car, but with less options.  Clearly, he loves you more, Nikki.  What is it about Nikki that, while this guy is working, she is content to sit around playing on her cell phone? And he's apparently ok with that, because he wants to keep her happy. Does Mark want a wife, or another teenager to raise to replace his grown daughter?

Fernando and Carolina...first time I've seen them, as I missed the episode before this one.  What a slob.  Thinks he's a chick magnet.  Her dad didn't look too please with the whole situation, but maybe the footage was cleverly edited, I don't know.

Oops...forgot Alexsandra & what's-his-name....I don't think her Mormon conversion was a true, "I feel it in my heart" kinda thing.   I think she did it because she felt she had not choice.  She's having trouble letting go of her past life, because, hey -- she liked it! Don't really see this couple lasting, either.  That cousin-girl -- she was scary. Judgemental-scary.

Edited by OhioMom
  • Love 6

Maybe if Melanie hadn't travelled to Jamaica 10 times in 16 months, she'd have have some type of savings to put towards the wedding. I don't care if you're using Groupon, travel miles, or whatever. I'm sure she had to spend money every trip. I wouldn't dare have asked my mum and daddy to buy my wedding rings. Not to mention, she's been married before, and if they're traditional parents, they might have helped then. And they didn't go with cheaper rings? She said white gold or platinum. $2400 for that simple band? Ridiculous.

Mark seems to be suffering from empty nest syndrome. He wants a replacement child. Teaching her how to drive, the purchase of her first car, etc. are things a father often does with his daughter. I don't know if it's editing or if that's just the Specimen, but it's so creepy. TLC might be playing up the age difference, or he could be like that in real life and require minimal editing.

• Love 5

Melanie. You don’t have to have your parents get you the rings. There are stainless steel, silver and  tungsten rings that you can get. 

So Devar’s mom has been in the States but he never brought his sister’s and himself over?  I mean till a year ago or what not she hasn't attempted it?? 

The girls and guys that met Aleksandra are pretty sour pussed. They are really playing up Aleksandra’s “dark past” which is really nothing. Unless she was a prostitute and he saved her. Then it's her business and Josh's. Plus Josh, Aleksandra isn’t adjusting to “American” life but Mormon life.   Josh’s mother needs to get that stick out of her ass. 

!

His mom would have to get citizenship first and then for an adult child the wait could be up to a decade longer if he was already married.

Not knowing the Czch bar scene like the Philippines KTV one could it be she was in the same business as Nikki? Play nice to keep me in the bar or is it just dance to prime the dance floor for the DJ?

His mom would have to get citizenship first and then for an adult child the wait could be up to a decade longer if he was already married.

Not knowing the Czch bar scene like the Philippines KTV one could it be she was in the same business as Nikki? Play nice to keep me in the bar or is it just dance to prime the dance floor for the DJ?

I don't understand what you're getting at in the bolded sentence, above.  Is sounds as if you are rationalizing why Devar would rather get a K-1 visa with Mel (because it's more "convenient"), rather than wait for his mom.  It still sounds suspicious and dishonest, to me.

I don't understand what you're getting at in the bolded sentence, above.  Is sounds as if you are rationalizing why Devar would rather get a K-1 visa with Mel (because it's more "convenient"), rather than wait for his mom.  It still sounds suspicious and dishonest, to me.

There are different waiting periods for different family classifications in family reunions.A permanent resident can not get an adult child, that is a perk of citizenship. So first mom would have to be a citizen and if her child was over 21 she would have to wait for around 10 years before the child could be brought over on a family unification. On a hypothetical say Nikki wanted to bring a parent over, it is a different class it would take her roughly five years to get citizenship but then her parents could come a few months later. But if she was a 49 year old with a 22 year old son she would be around 55 when she got citizenship and around 65 when her son then in his 30s could join her.

edit to add: and if the son where married the waiting period is longer because his immediate family would be included with his visa

Devar's mom could not start the process until she was a citizen  and I don't know when or if that has happened 

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

I don't think it was all that weird of Melanie's parents to buy the rings.  Maybe they offered to do that as their wedding gift to them. Did she have to spend $2400 on just a simple band?? Likely not so I hope that was platinum cause I guess those are super duper expensive. 

It was a little weird that she didn't know the budget on the rings but that they went ahead and bought them anyways. 

As for Devar's mom.... maybe it's a family thing?? Devar speaks with little emotion and seems cold most of the time too. 

It seems like Mark thinks all people from the Philippines are the same.... his comfort zone seems to be to give Nikki the same stuff his ex-wife had.

It's a cute little car thought but I think I'd take someone go-carting first before letting them drive a nice new car.

They did state that the family visa takes a very very very long time.

• Love 2

If I had a 19-year old who had never driven a car, I'd find her a used Honda or Toyota from the nearest junker car lot so that when she hits something I won't have a heart attack. Mark is going to flip out with the first scratch, if he gets so worked up over fingerprints on the windows.

• Love 16

Does anyone else get skeeved out every time Mark starts a sentence with "I want Nikki to do x. When I was raising my kids I did y". It's like he is lumping his soon to be wife in with raising children. It's just creepy. He does it all the freaking time,  from regulating her bed time to scolding her for touching the windows. I wonder if he plans to teach her to drive. I cannot even imagine. 

Maybe he will ground her if she misbehaves. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 6

I wonder if he plans to teach her to drive. I cannot even imagine. 

He said he taught all of his kids to drive, so.....  This is the most shining example of Peter Pan Syndrome lumped in with someone who wants to recreate his past life.

• Love 5

If Mark is worried that Nikki is bored, why doesn't he, I dunno, TALK TO HER about it? Ask what she might like to do?

His pirate shirts? No. His train whistle? Would be shoved so far up his ass if he dared tweet it my way. And he is so damn creepy about his wife that fled, I almost wonder if it's an act. But then I look at his OK Cupid profile again and realize he really is just that creepy. 

You don't "surprise" someone with skydiving.

I'm really starting to feel bad for Devar and Mel. His mom is a bit of a witch, hey?

Or...I dunno....if Nikki is bored and sees Mark working, doing things she could be helping out with....why not get off your butt, put the phone down, and help out??? (Not that I like Mark, but I'm not really fond of Ms. Mail Order Bride, either.)

• Love 1

OK...I get that it takes a long time to get your family over here, and you need to be a citizen first, and that takes a long time.  But I also think that Devar is using Mel to get over here, because it would take too long to do through his mom.  Maybe I'm wired, and I've had too much coffee today, but it seems glaringly obvious to me.  They're probably both in on it (Mel and Devar).  Look at the way she got annoyed with him, when he was nuzzling her, telling her he loved her.  Him for K1 status, and her for money and exposure -- her 15 minutes of fame.  And maybe friends with benefits sex. And she snapped, "stop it!" Is that something that someone head over heels in love with would do to their so?  But if this was just a big ruse between them, I could definitely see her get annoyed with him and snap.

• Love 1

Nikki may be lazy, but I'm sure she had at least a 24-hour flight to BWI. I get a serious case of jet lag just flying from BWI to the west coast. I would've thrown that train whistle down Mark's throat. I think Mark is probably living out some Clark W. Griswold fantasy of having a hot girl driving a little red convertible with her hair blowing in the wind. I think it'll backfire on him though. Nikki's going to take that little car down the BW Parkway and never turn back. Maybe that's what the first wife did.

• Love 4

Devar asking about "white women" seemed 100% producer driven and scripted to me. Also, Melanie? Have you ever heard of silver? You are a grown woman with a job and you do not need fancy rings so much that your parent should pay for them - especially since you seem to have money to vacation in Jamaica every other week. 

I wanted to scream when Noon was cleaning. Noon: NO! Stop it! You are not in the US to be a live in maid. Your glassy eyed Prince Charming and his roommate need to clean for YOU. They won't, of course, because living in filth doesn't bother them one bit.  Also, when Noon talked about him being "very handsome" I started to seriously wonder about her eyesight. He has average features at best. That along with his sickly, gray skin tone and bloodshot eyes, he is scary, not handsome, IMHO.

I hope Caroline's father sees through Fernando's BS and stops the whole thing. 

• Love 5

Nikki may be lazy, but I'm sure she had at least a 24-hour flight to BWI. I get a serious case of jet lag just flying from BWI to the west coast. I would've thrown that train whistle down Mark's throat. I think Mark is probably living out some Clark W. Griswold fantasy of having a hot girl driving a little red convertible with her hair blowing in the wind. I think it'll backfire on him though. Nikki's going to take that little car down the BW Parkway and never turn back. Maybe that's what the first wife did.

He said she'd been there for four days. I've flown far overseas, and by the second day I've pretty much got my bearings.

I don't know what Carolina was cooking either, but I WANT to know! 

Devar needs to go clothes shopping. For shirts.

• Love 1

Aleksandra is sweet. She does look 16 and really innocent faced. Her MIL could not look more sour if she tried. The young lady's mother isn't there to help so she could've smiled or at least feigned interest.

Whats the point of converting people if you're just going to put them into a community where you constantly judge them?  I don't remember jesus making constant stink faces at mary even though she was a former hooker.  If you're going to constantly judge people, don't bother reforming them since you'll be judging them no matter what.

OMG, totally!

Islandgal, perhaps I was a bit unfair to Devar's mom, as I was somewhat distracted during the meeting scene. I just noticed how many times she said variations of "I can't tell him who to pick", which seemed kind of cold to me. You're right, of course, that Bev was much worse.

Devar seemed very concerned to me about his mother's reaction to his fiance being white; I was surprised he put the question out there that baldly, too, but what the hell--after Bev's performance, maybe he got the idea that one can blurt out whatever they want in America? :)

If Devar is close to his mother he may have told her about the conversation with Bev.  That is her only son in a culture where male sons are revered.  There is no way she would be okay with that.  And since she can't take out her frustration on Bev, she chose the next best person....Melanie.  I'm sure she knew exactly what she was doing.  

Devar asks a lot of loaded questions.  He asked Bev outright what she thought of their relationship which led her to start in on her diatribe.  Maybe the producers have encouraged him to ask these questions outright so they can get a juicy answer.

I still think TLC is making the most of Kyle and Noon's bug infested, with weird roommate living situation. I know some people are pigs, but he does not appear to be demented, so you would think he would have brought in an exterminator or called the landlord or at a minimum bought a damn can of Raid. Maybe it's just his coloring, but Kyle always seems to look like he has a massive hangover and his eyes are perpetually red and watery.

Mel and Devar - as soon as I saw the Rolex sign on the jewelry store, I know it would be be big $$$$ to buy rings there. $2400 for a simple band with a few microscopic diamonds? Oh my, you can get such a better deal other places. Why are Mel's parents paying for the rings? I thought Mel had a god job. It's seems like a weird thing for parents to buy their child and future son in law. TLC punked us big time with the telling Devar's mom scene. The previews made it seem like she was going to be a bitch and forbid the marriage. Devar has been trying for a green card for years? Hmmm....

Or how about they refer to another TLC show....Extreme Cheapskates.  Those people are always saving money on wedding rings by buying them at pawn shops.

Everyone has hit the highlights but two things:

Does Devar own a shirt with sleeves?

What meal did Carolina make because it looked delicious!!

Sleeves are for men with lesser arms.  At least I'm sure thats Devar's reasoning.

• Love 5

Carolina's meal looked delicious. I couldn't tell what it was.

Noon is so sweet. Bless her heart for living in the roach motel and not returning to the airport in the middle of the night. No to cleaning though. They need to clean up and hire someone to come handle their bug situation. They live in a humid place where bugs thrive. You have to stay on top of it and keep your place clean. Even when your place is clean, sometimes that isn't enough. If this was filmed during the summer, then on a cool day, it might have been 90. And at night, it is just as hot. I've visited N.O., and it was hot as hell then.

• Love 3

Noon is so sweet. Bless her heart for living in the roach motel and not returning to the airport in the middle of the night. No to cleaning though. They need to clean up and hire someone to come handle their bug situation. They live in a humid place where bugs thrive. You have to stay on top of it and keep your place clean. Even when your place is clean, sometimes that isn't enough. If this was filmed during the summer, then on a cool day, it might have been 90. And at night, it is just as hot. I've visited N.O., and it was hot as hell then.

Its just the HUMIDITY.  I remember having to shower 2x a day when I was there for work.  And like an hour later I would start feeling sticky.

They should be able to get someone to clean that place, he is a bartender on bourbon street living in a small, sparse place with a roommate.  He should be able to find someone to do a good cleaning for a few hundred bucks and put off some bug bombs.

• Love 2

So why are we watching fat ass playa Fernando and Carolina? Isn't this show supposed to be about the fiances' being in the US and trying to make a go of the relationships?  I have no interest in seeing a couple when they are not even at this stage yet.  Don't waste my time, TLC. You have 5 other couples, you could have saved these two for NEXT season. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 3

Yes. Go outside at 10 p.m. for 10 minutes in August and you feel like you need a shower. That scene of Noon sweeping while those slobs just sat there with their feet up was awful. Even if it was producer driven. I think her cleaning up will just make them into even nastier slobs because they'll come to expect it. Good thing they don't have any pets. I can't imagine how much more filthy that place could be.
  • Love 3

With its tropical climate, New Orleans is a haven for bugs - even with the most scrupulous cleaning it's hard to keep them out, but scrupulous cleaning is a good place to start! Kyle and Roomie just seem to have thought "oh well, if bugs are gonna get in anyway, why bother," and just made peace with their Uniramia brethren. Ew.

The house is a "shotgun" style, so named because you can fire a shotgun through the front door and have the shot exit out the back; so it is basically one row of rooms without hallways. Which is fine for many living situations, but not for a couple with a roommate. Noon is being such a trouper.

• Love 6
Maybe this is me being overly sensitive but it kinda chaps my ass to see the whole potentially 'hating on black men/white women' trope thrown into the lap of the black woman shown on this show. YMMV.

Yes, but see, they want to portray us black women as "angry because they're taking 'our' men."  Yuk.

• Love 4

The girls and guys that met Aleksandra are pretty sour pussed. They are really playing up Aleksandra’s “dark past” which is really nothing. Unless she was a prostitute and he saved her. Then it's her business and Josh's. Plus Josh, Aleksandra isn’t adjusting to “American” life but Mormon life.   Josh’s mother needs to get that stick out of her ass. 

I really like Aleksandra so much!  She seems very sweet, clever and fun.  I like Josh too.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy.  They both seem to care for each other a lot, and they seem to get along very well.  (Although I don't know if I have 100% faith that they are compatible as spouses)  However, I don't think that this restrictive lifestyle will be good for Aleksandra in the long run.  As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing eternally damning about drinking and dancing and wearing skirts above the knee.  And I don't think she was some out of control wild child.  She's from Russia and was going to university in Prague.  I don't know much about how student loans or scholarships work over there, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that either her family had money to send her (and most likely support her) or that she was smart and determined enough to get a scholarship.  Either way, I highly doubt that she was a doing anything too hard core to support herself.  She seems so young, cheery and innocent still.  I have a feeling that if she had been doing anything too intense that her demeanor would not be the same.  I'm just afraid for her that she's going to spend her years under Josh's family's thumb, constantly having her alcohol drinking and dancing past thrown in her face as if it's something she should be ashamed of.  She deserves better than that.  For her sake, I hope his parents' sour pusses are just part of the show.

Mark's next date idea:  Take Nikki for a picnic to the same remote area where he buried his first wife. 

And then show her two plots he has next to First Wife, for the two of them. 

• Love 7

One thing I don't understand and please help me out.  Would it take Devar's mom Yvonne 20 years to get her kids in the States? She left him when he was 9 to go to the US for work. he is now 28.  That is 19 years.  Even if it took her 10 years to get her citizenship, can it possibly take another 10 to get even 1 child in? My brain cannot comprehend that one. 

Other than that. The whole "opinion of me marrying a white girl" was totally TLC to stir the pot. At least Yvonne didn't bite like Danny's dad did. 

I also forgot to add, did anyone think "children of the corn" when you saw Josh's extended family? I did.

Edited by greekmom
  • Love 2

I wanted to scream when Noon was cleaning. Noon: NO! Stop it! You are not in the US to be a live in maid. Your glassy eyed Prince Charming and his roommate need to clean for YOU. They won't, of course, because living in filth doesn't bother them one bit.  Also, when Noon talked about him being "very handsome" I started to seriously wonder about her eyesight. He has average features at best. That along with his sickly, gray skin tone and bloodshot eyes, he is scary, not handsome, IMHO.

I think he has the potential to be like a 7.5/10, but with his pallid complexion, bloodshot, glassy eyes and foul odor (come on, what are the odds he doesn't smell?) he's lucky to be a 3/10.  And I can assure you, that I'm not picky when it comes to beauty.  But health and hygiene are non-negotiable.

• Love 2

Does anyone else get skeeved out every time Mark starts a sentence with "I want Nikki to do x. When I was raising my kids I did y". It's like he is lumping his soon to be wife in with raising children. It's just creepy. He does it all the freaking time,  from regulating her bed time to scolding her for touching the windows. I wonder if he plans to teach her to drive. I cannot even imagine. 

Maybe he will ground her if she misbehaves. 

I don't know if teaching her to drive is in Mark's best interest. (Because that's all that really matters anyway)  As anyone with kids knows (as Mark surely does) that once you teach your teenager to drive, that gives them a degree of freedom to come and go as they please.  I can see Mark being terrified that if Nikki can drive and isn't housebound all day until he comes home, she might go ::gasp:: OUT and meet people her own age!  Especially attractive guys her own age.  Nikki is pretty, I don't think she'd have a problem finding a cute 20 something guy.

• Love 3

How does a Grade-A creepozoid like Mark spawn a daughter as cute and mature as Elise?   Her expressions throughout his segment were priceless.

Mark: "You two must have something in common."

Elise: "I'm somewhat Filipino.   There ya go."

• Love 9

I'm really starting to feel bad for Devar and Mel. His mom is a bit of a witch, hey?

I don't understand why Devar's sisters depend on him financially, when their mother is alive and well and living in the U.S. For someone who hasn't laid eyes on her son for years, "Yvonne" didn't seem the least bit excited to see him.  As a matter of fact, their relationship seems strain.   I hope she  was just nervous because of the cameras.  The mother has been in the country for 19 years, so why has it taken so long for her seven children to acquire green cards?  I am going to give Melanie a pass for snapping on Devar in the jewelry store, because she seems to be under a tremendous amount of pressure.  There is a saying, "sometimes a good lay isn't worth the stress". 

• Love 2

One thing I don't understand and please help me out. Would it take Devar's mom Yvonne 20 years to get her kids in the States? She left him when he was 9 to go to the US for work. he is now 28. That is 19 years. Even if it took her 10 years to get her citizenship, can it possibly take another 10 to get even 1 child in? My brain cannot comprehend that one.

Other than that. The whole "opinion of me marrying a white girl" was totally TLC to stir the pot. At least Yvonne didn't bite like Danny's dad did.

I also forgot to add, did anyone think "children of the corn" when you saw Josh's extended family? I did.

First she would have had to been a legal immigrant. Then approval for citizenship and then comes the expense and proof of income to petition her immediate family. Any child who became an adult during that period goes to the back of the line because the US has a cap on the number allowed in. Last I looked it was about ten years waiting, if the child didn't marry during the wait.
  • Love 5

My favorite quote of the episode:

Mark -- "I need to find a way to keep Nikki captive........ated here in the States."

That is exactly what I was going to post.    

Ok, so they always pick questionable, skeevy, strange people with horrible relatives, but Mark is by himself.  He is a twisted sick perv with a scary agenda.

Not funny or entertaining at all.     I seriously hope someone got that young girl out of there.

• Love 1

OK...I get that it takes a long time to get your family over here, and you need to be a citizen first, and that takes a long time.  But I also think that Devar is using Mel to get over here, because it would take too long to do through his mom.  Maybe I'm wired, and I've had too much coffee today, but it seems glaringly obvious to me.  They're probably both in on it (Mel and Devar).  Look at the way she got annoyed with him, when he was nuzzling her, telling her he loved her.  Him for K1 status, and her for money and exposure -- her 15 minutes of fame.  And maybe friends with benefits sex. And she snapped, "stop it!" Is that something that someone head over heels in love with would do to their so?  But if this was just a big ruse between them, I could definitely see her get annoyed with him and snap.

You're probably right about all of it, but yeah...even if it is legit all that constant nuzzling could be tiresome.  I'd snap too.  

• Love 6

Mark's next date idea:  Take Nikki for a picnic to the same remote area where he buried his first wife. 

AWESOME

Yes, but see, they want to portray us black women as "angry because they're taking 'our' men."  Yuk.

they're also aching for somebody, ANYBODY, they run across to be appalled at an interracial couple.  They'll be waiting a long time I think.  

• Love 2

How does a Grade-A creepozoid like Mark spawn a daughter as cute and mature as Elise?   Her expressions throughout his segment were priceless.

Mark: "You two must have something in common."

Elise: "I'm somewhat Filipino.   There ya go."

I agree, I like Elise a lot on the show.  (She must take after her mother)  She seems very witty and mature.  She's rightfully weirded out by this whole situation, and doing her best to try to bring the obvious to Mark's attention.  I can't imagine how weird it must be to see your father dating someone younger than yourself.

• Love 1

Why are Melanie's parents paying for their rings? I'd be pretty embarrassed as a 30+ year old gainfully employed woman to have my parents pay for my rings.

Ok, this is the second time Aleksandra has said the "bad person" line. This time about her tattoo. There's nothing wrong with this young lady's English. She knows exactly what she's saying. Her shyness and awkwardness doesn't have anything to do with a language barrier imo. It's because the Mormon kid and his family are creepy as hell. You can see it in her body language when she has to sit at their dry ass dinners and family gatherings. She stretched herself as far away as she could from those two weird kids at the cook out.

I thought Melanie's parents were getting them the rings as a gift, and probably had a budget from them. I actually laughed a little at Melanie's testy "stop it!". No one is sunshine and rainbows all the time. Its a big change and she's had her share of stress, I don't blame her for getting irritated. And Devar's "oh yes" response to every question makes me laugh too. He is the very definition of laid back.

God, poor Aleksandra. So she used to go out and have fun. Why all the judgy side-eyes from sanctimonious cousin? And don't Mormons dance? Isn't it part of their religion to honor the Lord by dancing? I thought that was why there were so many Mormon ballroom dancers.Why make her feel bad about herself for dancing? Shouldn't someone say to her "oh we LOVE to dance! you should come to class with me sometime!" And lord, those wedding dresses. You can have a modest dress without it being cheap looking and frumpy. (See Trump, Ivanka, and Duchess of Cambridge, Katherine.) The poor thing, I just wanted to hug her. Josh's mother is just a professional Patient Sufferer, I guess. Everything seems like such a burden. Does she ever smile?

• Love 5

I know I'll get blasted, but many of the times when I see that situation I'm like "girl....you can have him"

• Love 4

they're also aching for somebody, ANYBODY, they run across to be appalled at an interracial couple.  They'll be waiting a long time I think.  

I totally got that vibe.  If we can just let me do some psychoanalyzing for a second (keeping in mind that I took like the bare minimum requirement of psychology classes at community college) I think that Melanie is someone who is desperate for two things: attention and validation.  (Kind of like Danielle)  She gets her validation from Devar, who is obviously very attractive and fit.  In addition to complimenting her, just the fact that he chose her out of all the floozies in the resort is probably a huge boost to her ego.  And their whole relationship has been getting her a lot of attention  (not just from her family and friends, but it got her on friggin TLC).  I think that Melanie seems a bit immature for being in her early 30s (not Danielle status immature, but more like a lovesick 20 year old) and the idea that her family and friends are so concerned about her probably makes her happier than she would like to let on.  In the first episode she and her gaggle of hens were talking about how an interracial relationship would cause a stir in their small Pennsylvania town, and that everyone would be talking about her.  Um, I think in most parts of the country, interracial relationships no longer cause a stir.  I think the fact that he was a lifeguard at a resort, and has probably "proposed" to plenty of women before her is more controversial than their races. Or maybe that instead of spending time and money on her son, she has taken plenty of vacations to go be with him in Jamaica. 

• Love 4

One thing I don't understand and please help me out.  Would it take Devar's mom Yvonne 20 years to get her kids in the States? She left him when he was 9 to go to the US for work. he is now 28.  That is 19 years.  Even if it took her 10 years to get her citizenship, can it possibly take another 10 to get even 1 child in? My brain cannot comprehend that one. 

I don't know exactly how long it takes, but I do think it takes quite a bit of time to get family members over to the States.  I still have family members that live here that are working to get their children/family members over.  20 years seems like a bit much, although it may have been a matter of putting the money together.  And if she was trying to get all her children over that may have taken a while.  

• Love 1

I totally got that vibe.  If we can just let me do some psychoanalyzing for a second (keeping in mind that I took like the bare minimum requirement of psychology classes at community college) I think that Melanie is someone who is desperate for two things: attention and validation.  (Kind of like Danielle)  She gets her validation from Devar, who is obviously very attractive and fit.  In addition to complimenting her, just the fact that he chose her out of all the floozies in the resort is probably a huge boost to her ego.  And their whole relationship has been getting her a lot of attention  (not just from her family and friends, but it got her on friggin TLC).  I think that Melanie seems a bit immature for being in her early 30s (not Danielle status immature, but more like a lovesick 20 year old) and the idea that her family and friends are so concerned about her probably makes her happier than she would like to let on.  In the first episode she and her gaggle of hens were talking about how an interracial relationship would cause a stir in their small Pennsylvania town, and that everyone would be talking about her.  Um, I think in most parts of the country, interracial relationships no longer cause a stir.  I think the fact that he was a lifeguard at a resort, and has probably "proposed" to plenty of women before her is more controversial than their races. Or maybe that instead of spending time and money on her son, she has taken plenty of vacations to go be with him in Jamaica. 

I'm IN a small Pennsylvania town.  Interracial = no big deal.  

• Love 2