Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

After seeing Melanie's segment on this episode I had a couple of questions. Why is her face so red all the time, does she have roseacea? And does Bev's husband ever talk?

She could have Rosacea.  I do, and it flares when I'm nervous, upset, or having hormone issues.

Many of the people from Coal Country -  Schuylkill County (and lower Northumberland County - they run into each other) -  tend to be very blunt, brusk, and to the point.  They're also very wary of "outsiders".  This happened just right up the road from where Mel lives:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/jury-acquits-teens-murder-mexican-immigrant-beating-death-article-1.409620

• Love 3

Ug, Fernando. Way to be the bloated, overconfident, douchy embodiment of everything I hate about my hometown. He gives me the creeps something awful. I do get the Cuban vibe from his mom and I call bullshit, BULLSHIT on his parents moving in with him. What happened in actuality was that after his divorce (of which he is SO PROUD) his mom told him to move back home so he could focus on work and not worry about menial tasks like cooking or washing his underwear. I also get the vibe that he met this girl while still married. Class-y. Every Cuban I know (my own family included) makes rice everyday. My darling grandmother would make so much that we had the only pigeons in Miami with sleep apnea and high blood-pressure. :) I think the "no rice" thing was mom's way of telling her son that she wasn't going to be waiting on his chippy hand and foot. And the table cloth and wine glass thing? GTFOH. Way to Captain Save A Ho poor Carolina and bring her to the splendor of freaking Doral, douche. Seconding whoever said the croquetas looked good. Mom probably bought enough for the entire film crew. Yuuuuum.

• Love 7

Loren is a high maintenance drama queen. Alexei's in for a lifetime of headaches with that one. Good luck, buddy. The crazy thing with them is that all this visa crap is only necessary because she wants HIM to come to HER. She's Jewish and entitled to Israeli citizenship if she wants it. Simple as that. They're going through all this because she doesn't want to be the one to move away from her family, learn a new language, etc. etc.

Bev...what a hosebeast! She looks like Jeremy Renner in a bad wig.

VERY thinly veiled. Ditto her disgust over Mel & Devar's kiss. He's a class act, and he is really winning me over with his attention to Hunter.

I'm guessing they're Cuban. B-roll of Fernando puffing cigars, croquetas on the table in the first scene, snotty attitude toward other Latinos...I'm going with Cuban.

I can't believe I'm saying something in Roach Boy's defense, but she's from Bangkok. I can't believe anything on Bourbon street would raise an eyebrow.

Are you me?? hahahaha, I was saying the exact same thing about Noon's pearl clutching on Bourbon St. Really? Bangkok is a sleepy little provincial village I guess, where the townsfolk live quiet lives, playing with the kids and singing hymns, with nothing to compare to New Orleans debauchery?  What sort of chumps does TLC take us for?

And I too was perplexed by Loren's hysterics. They could try again, she could go to Israel. Geez, girl, switch to decaf.

Bev the Beast and her scintillating husband (did he utter one word?) are going to be Season 3's Danny's dad, I guess? She never said in so many words but clearly she was dismayed not just by the "whirlwind" romance.

• Love 3

That whole conversation sounded like they were some wealthy aristocratic family with assets and this foreign street urchin could potentially bring down their empire. Like Melanie is the dime piece and Devar is the nickel. Please. Devar's mom could be just as suspicious of Melanie and list all the negatives in Melanie's column. Five years older (allegedly) and divorced with a kid. Not a crime, but carrying some serious baggage and maybe not necessarily the type of woman she wants for her son.

Could Devar be in it for the green card? Absolutely. But I don't think he's conning this woman. She's benefitting just as much as he is.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 6

Oh yes Fernando, your family is so classy drinking out of water bottles at the fancy dinner table.  How will Carolina ever keep up with you modern day Jonses.

And I want to see the mortgage statement on that house, because I would bet dollars to donuts that the house belongs to his parents.  No way in life does a 30 something guy buy a crocheted black chicken to decorate his house.  I've seen the homes of 30 year old men who live by themselves and while they can be nice, they aren't trying to find doo dads to decorate with and fancy table clothes.

Pffft....my parents live with me....whatever, I've heard that before

• Love 8

OMG -- Imma need Loren to stop crying STAT.  You're not some special snowflake and you don't "deserve" to be with your man anymore than anyone else who is denied a K1 visa.  Its not so unfair that you have to go through this process..just stop.

• Love 8

That whole conversation sounded like they were some wealthy aristocratic family with assets and this foreign street urchin could potentially bring down their empire. Like Melanie is the dime piece and Devar is the nickel. Please. Devar's mom could be just as suspicious of Melanie and list all the negatives in Melanie's column. Five years older (allegedly) and divorced with a kid. Not a crime, but carrying some serious baggage and maybe not necessarily the type of woman she wants for her son.

Could Devar be in it for the green card? Absolutely. But I don't think he's conning this woman. She's benefitting just as much as he is.

Agreed. Melanie may be many things but I don't think she is stupid. Maybe they are in love, maybe they made a deal, maybe she's thinking "hey, if I can get five years' happiness with this hot young stud, I'll consider myself ahead". Either way, its her life, Hosebeast Sister. She has given no indication that she's the kind of person who makes poor decisions or does things foolishly. She has a career, a nice home, and her son is happy and healthy. Back off. Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 4

Beverly isn't protective. Beverly is jealous. Melanie may not be much to look at, but she has probably grown up the prettier sister. I have always found it so insulting and rude when the families of the American will start assuming that because someone is from a foreign country they are going to cheat. Americans cheat all the time, and Americans use their mates for money and other stuff all the time. But I doubt that anyone asks such rude questions when their family member is dating another American. OMG, did she just accuse him of having some STD? And that Devar just sleeps with anyone? Even if you think it, you don't just say it to someone like that. Apparently this sort of behavior is acceptable as long as someone is from a foreign country. Although Devar doesn't help the situation by acting like some dime store Romeo "Me? I already have what I want." Paging Dr. Corny.

And Fernando's mother has some fucking nerve, she is questioning Carolina's loyalty when its Fernando that has a history of cheating and is apparently texting women while he is engaged to Carolina. Whatever.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 9

I'm going to reserve judgment on Devar. But I'm definitely on the suspicious side. Not very long ago I went to where he's from on a trip with friends and relatives, one of whom became very cozy with our "very nice, super helpful" bus driver. He showed up where we were during the week - dinners, trips out - and when something horrible happened during the trip, he was there to help. When he continued talking to this relative after we left the island on a daily basis, and subsequently proposed 4 weeks later, green card opportunities crossed my mind but mostly we thought it was real, thinking everything that happened sped up the relationship. He was super attentive and we all got excited behind the prospective marriage. Deposits were put on dresses, venues were visited and menus planned.

And then he came to the US to visit, and after returning home, the calls dwindled, then he was never available, and eventually there was no more contact. He talked a really good love game beforehand, and my opinion is he saw us traveling in a certain manner as a family, then came to NY and saw this particular relative's very small, basic Bronx apartment and how she was living (simply, on a small budget) and when he got back, likely looked for brighter horizons.

Where Devar is from is only a tropical paradise for the occasional visitor. There's a horrible lawless, seamy, corrupt, poverty-stricken underbelly that doesn't usually come with your tropical drink. Even Buttfuck, PA is a come up.

You may be right, but Melanie's sister didn't have to be such a witch about it.  All that talk about STD's.  I don't believe the USA is the envy of the world anymore, not since obesity, gun violence and jobs getting sent overseas happened.  

And BTW, Beverly was really saying to Devar, "no way you found MY sister that attractive.  Something like that would never happen to me!"   Well, of course not, Beverly's a beast, ugly inside and out IMO.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

Fernando admits on camera, in front of millions of viewers, that he texted other women while he was with Carolina. Girl.... you've got that and his mother to deal with. No green card is worth it. I cannot see him being faithful to her, or anyone.

Mark talks to his fiance and his daughter as if he's teaching a class of 5th graders. "OK...I am going to fix a meal now....you two sit here and talk....and try to find something in common....until I return....understood?"

Any idea why Mark's daughter Elise dyes her hair gray?

Loren not only has vocal fry, she has vocal cry fry.

Poor, poor Noon.... honey, not all homes in New Orleans are overrun with "bug" and naked roommates. Did y'all see the dead bug on the top of the refrigerator door when he opened it? That's in there with the food, baby!! I can almost see one of them crawling out of the egg carton. Kyle is a stoner, you deserve better, Noon. She's not a partier, he is, therefore I think this is doomed-couch-city. Of all the people coming over, I feel the most sorry for Noon. I don't want to see the girl wind up miserable and homesick.

Beverly is one opinionated sister, isn't she? And Melanie's vocal fry is a family trait, apparently. That whole scene had to be scripted, my god.. or that sister is one of the most hateful people in PA. Yeah, let's bring up sexually transmitted diseases over dinner. Beverly's husband looked uncomfortable as hell, I bet he has that constipated look on his face a lot.

Carolina is another one that I wouldn't blame for getting her green card and moving on.  The one thing Fernando's mother is right about is that he is too old for her she and Nikki should be discovering the world, not shackled to someone nearly 20-40 years older than them for a lifetime.  His mother is going to be one of those that will feel a sense of superiority by putting down Carolina at every opportunity and in every way she can think of.  I have no idea why she or Fernando are under the impression he is a prize. 

I actually like Kyle and Noon.  Yeah, his house is a disaster and he needs to get that bug situation under control.  But the New Orleans I remember was a historic city with older buildings and a muggy atmosphere.  It seems like the perfect place for bug problems to develop.  And it doesn't help that they appear to be two bachelors who don't care very much about keeping things clean.  I think in a city like that you have to be almost hypervigilant to ensure you don't get a bug problem.  But I absolutely agree....a roach in the refrigerator is something I don't think I could deal with.  At that point, its time to do a massive cleaning and get a new refrigerator.  But at least he is real with her, unlike Fernando who I think is lying through his teeth about his parents "living with" him.  He is a single guy that probably doesn't make a ton of money and lives with his friend.  His friend is odd, but I think his friends have shown much more compassion and kindness than most of the friends/family on this program thus far.  Not a one of them has said anything about how Noon must be trolling for a green card, or how she must have slept with every American  that came to Thailand, or basically called her a hooker.  I do wonder what happened with Kyle's parents, but I know that the producers are working on a way to get us the full story and an awkward/angry family reunion!

• Love 3

I'm a little more sympathetic to Kyle. The apartment is a pig sty to be sure. However, the walk down Bourbon St reeked of TLC manipulation, and while this admittedly comes from about 15 minutes of total airtime, I'm pretty sure the parents stuff is on them not him.

• Love 2

You may be right, but Melanie's sister didn't have to be such a witch about it.  All that talk about STD's.  I don't believe the USA is the envy of the world anymore, not since obesity, gun violence and jobs getting sent overseas happened.  

And BTW, Beverly was really saying to Devar, "no way you found MY sister that attractive.  Something like that would never happen to me!"   Well, of course not, Beverly's a beast, ugly inside and out IMO.

I agree. That was just out of line, period. If she needs to be a personal PSA, take it up with her sister, who should know enough to protect herself because WHATEVER country she's in, she's sleeping with a man's history if she's raw dogging it.

Whether he is or isn't in love, is really Melanie's problem. Like was mentioned upthread, if she's going in thinking "if I get five years with this (IHO) hotness I'm good," then doing whatever she wants to get it within legal means is her business. The whole "relationship" just sounds highly familiar, so I'm basing my opinion of their relationship on that. Which only buys me a ticket to the shitshow and the right to snark on it, nothing more!

• Love 1

I also get the vibe that he met this girl while still married. Class-y.

That's a possibility. I smelled BS when he was talking about "delays" with his marriage/divorce papers from a previous relationship. I also suspected be might be another repeat K-1 applicant or that his previous marriage also took place in another country.

• Love 2

RCharter, having lived there I agree that New Orleans is perhaps more prone to bug issues than a lot of places.  You get the big roaches (palmetto bugs) and there are also a few weeks every spring of termite spawning season, which was DEEPLY DISTURBING to me.  But Kyle's house goes waaaay beyond that.  I'm scared to think what else might be in that fridge. 

Mark and Nikki and Elise's dinner was so weird.  The tiny table.  The awkward conversation.  The Chinese takeout being served in what looked like chafing dishes used by catering firms. 

• Love 1

RCharter, having lived there I agree that New Orleans is perhaps more prone to bug issues than a lot of places.  You get the big roaches (palmetto bugs) and there are also a few weeks every spring of termite spawning season, which was DEEPLY DISTURBING to me.  But Kyle's house goes waaaay beyond that.  I'm scared to think what else might be in that fridge. 

Mark and Nikki and Elise's dinner was so weird.  The tiny table.  The awkward conversation.  The Chinese takeout being served in what looked like chafing dishes used by catering firms. 

That refrigerator needs to go.  There is nothing more than that.  They need a new refrigerator period.  

I didn't even know that roaches would want to live in a cold refrigerator -- and if thats the case than they either got the refrigerator second hand with some roach colony in it, or the roaches got in while the refrigerator was disconnected or the energy was off and they left food in there.

Either way -- there is no saving it, I think they need a new refrigerator

• Love 1

Some thoughts

Alexie said he is is Ukrainian (Jewish) moved to Israel at 10 ...his accent sounds more Israeli (Hebrew) which is kind of "nasal' like French....Lauren is also obviously Jewish (br trip) so she could move to Israel....not sure bout the army LOL

JMO - the money wasted on Canada could have allowed them to remain in NYC in her apt....MY guess is the producers wanted parents, more space etc to film. They do seem "into" each other....no story line if 2 young hot peeps hook up every nite in teeny apt LOL .

Karaoke? in Philipines it is huge....they have "schools" that teach u to sing like various groups they form cover band,

go on any cruise u may see cover nand group. Also a lot of K Jay....clubs...so maybe she worked in a k club>?

Mark is Cuban Italian it seems (not all that usual)....Maybe Mom got into Pasta but rice is sooo much a part of Cuban food

I can't see why they would look down on Columbian....?? tv drama

JMO Miami will be fine for her - no need to speak English unless she wants to....tons of people and opportunities..

he seems to have a nice house some money...poor Devar is the true fish out of water....from beaches to freezing winters in an awful lil town...eek

JMO - the money wasted on Canada could have allowed them to remain in NYC in her apt....MY guess is the producers wanted parents, more space etc to film. They do seem "into" each other....no story line if 2 young hot peeps hook up every nite in teeny apt LOL .

JMO Miami will be fine for her - no need to speak English unless she wants to....tons of people and opportunities..

he seems to have a nice house some money...poor Devar is the true fish out of water....from beaches to freezing winters in an awful lil town...eek

I want to see the mortgage statements, because I call total BS on that being his house with his parents living with him.

Guys used to always try to use that line that it was funny.  "Well, its my house, but I let my parents live with me." is the go-to line for guys who have never left home but want you to think they have.  

Since he is almost certainly paying nothing to live in the house its probably why he has so much money to fly back and forth to Columbia.

I think Loren's apartment was pretty big by NYC standards....I suspect parental help to pay the monthly rent so that she could live alone.  Which means that they probably could have lived in NYC if she wanted to...but.....drama.

• Love 2

1) Melanie and Devar - Between her red hair, red/bitch face I thought Beverly would burst into flames at any moment.  Geez take it down a notch, your sister is a grown woman.  The least you could do is be cordial.  Damn you Beverly for making me side with Devar.  Beverly's husband was an ass too.

2) Kyle and Noon -  Run Noon run.  Cockroaches in the fridge!!!   I'd been on the first plane back home.  Can you imagine what that bathroom looks like?  Kyle better thank his lucky stars that Noon is blinded by love.  Hope she's had her shots cause living in that apartment, surely she will catch some disease.  

3) Carolina and Fernando - watch out Carolina, nobody will be good enough for mama's boy.  I expect fireworks from the start.  Cant wait.

4) Alexie and Loren - why does she cry so damn much?  Them living with her parents will be a disaster.  Here for it.

5) Mark and Nikki - save yourself Nikki.  Get out while you can.  His ex-wife did.  

• Love 4

Is it just me, or is Alexi not that into Loren? I just don't see a spark, and she is so obviously into him.

Can I say, it is a total pet peeve when they play that jazz/Latin music whenever they show scenes of Miami. I know that there is a huge community, but it's obnoxious.

Melanie's sister is in need of a definite chill pill. She was going a overboard on her line of questioning and he actually handled himself a lot better than I would have. I think that the person who really takes the blame for this one is Melanie. Were I in Devar's place, I would have been really pissed if she had just sat there while I was being berated by that red faced woman.

• Love 5

Is it just me, or is Alexi not that into Loren? I just don't see a spark, and she is so obviously into him.

I have a feeling that while Alexei is in love with Loren, he isn't thrilled about his current situation.  First, he is being followed by a camera crew and second they are going to be living with the in-laws.  Somehow, I don't believe this is what he had in mind when he proposed. 

• Love 12

I feel terrible for Noon. She seems so nice and adorable, and that living situation must have been a terrible thing to come to when you just arrived in America. Even minus my feeling bad for Noon, I kind of can't stand Kyle anyway though... I don't really like looking at him. I do like that his friends are friendly and nice to Noon though.

Like everyone else, I hope Colombia girl (I forgot her name...) dumps that cheating loser's ass quick. What a bag of dicks.

And does Bev's husband ever talk?

He's probably too scared to talk with that creature in the room. She is just plain nasty. I so wanted Devar to set her straight. She was completely out of line. And Melanie just sitting there? Yeeesh if you don't stick up for your man when you're sister calls him std-ridden (and uh, by extension, calls YOU std-ridden) at the dinner table, then when do you? I hope that was editing, but I got the vibe Mel is just as afraid of Bev as Mr. Bev is.

• Love 5

OK, I wrote a big long post going over all the couples, but the computer ate it, so now I'll just stick to Alexi and Loren.

She did not live in the NYC apartment alone. There was way too much stuff left in place when she exited for the last time. I can totally understand her roommate(s) not being cool with some unemployed dude (even if it's for a legit reason) just moving in.

And I'm going to cut him a huge amount of slack in terms of the perceived affection gap. We've only really seen him immediately after very long flights. And she's super over dramatic, so he'd need to be on speed to seem equal.

• Love 8

Fernando and his family disgust me. He is not helping his parents, he lives in their home. Also, where is mamma bear from? Switzerland? Hun, unless you grew up in Geneva, don't give me that crap about "people from those poor countries" ( like Colombia)....Carolina does not seem poor. She needs to get her head examined though, A beautiful girl like her can do waaaaaay better than Mr. Telletubby playa wannabe from Doral. 

• Love 10

Josh's family is shocked by Aleksandra's past; Melanie goes ring shopping and meets Devar's mother; Mark and Nikki's cohabitation gets off to a rough start; Kyle goes to extremes to express his love for Noon; Fernando has bad news for Carolina.

**Please remember not to discuss previews in the episode thread, feel free to discuss them in the Media/Spoiler or First Look threads. Thanks!

Josh's family is shocked by Aleksandra's past

Oh, really? REALLY?

Geez, will Aleksandra ever get an episode that's not just Josh's dad glaring her down and his mom making a sad panda face like she wants to dive headfirst into a bottomless pit? Poor girl :(

• Love 17

Some thoughts

Alexie said he is is Ukrainian (Jewish) moved to Israel at 10 ...his accent sounds more Israeli (Hebrew) which is kind of "nasal' like French....Lauren is also obviously Jewish (br trip) so she could move to Israel....not sure bout the army LOL

His accent sounds like a typical Russian accent, not Israeli (Jewish people from Ukraine tend to speak Russian). English is more nasal than Russian, and when Russian men speak English, their voices tend to get higher and more nasal. 

As far as the VB bag... Loren either left it in Israel/Canada OR she had to bring a whole bunch of crap to the airport with her and then had him carry it. 

I want to see the mortgage statements, because I call total BS on that being his house with his parents living with him.

Guys used to always try to use that line that it was funny.  "Well, its my house, but I let my parents live with me." is the go-to line for guys who have never left home but want you to think they have.  

I have an ex who graduated from college and then moved back home.  His parents "gave" him their house since they were near retirement and didn't want to show assets.  So on PAPER it was HIS house ... decorated completely in lace doilies and curtains with plastic on the "good" velour furniture. 

SO many "good" men out there taking care of their parents.  /sarcasm

• Love 7

Melanie. You don’t have to have your parents get you the rings. There are stainless steel, silver and  tungsten rings that you can get. 
So Devar’s mom has been in the States but he never brought his sister’s and himself over?  I mean till a year ago or what not she hasn't attempted it?? 
The girls and guys that met Aleksandra are pretty sour pussed. They are really playing up Aleksandra’s “dark past” which is really nothing. Unless she was a prostitute and he saved her. Then it's her business and Josh's. Plus Josh, Aleksandra isn’t adjusting to “American” life but Mormon life.   Josh’s mother needs to get that stick out of her ass. 
Idiot Kyle. It’s not the feminine touch Noon wants to add. It’s CLEANLINESS. Embrace it. Learn it. Love it.
Mark you are such a Debbie downer in regards to the car/gift.  You mentioned your wife because….!?!? Nikki you feel weird?  I think we all felt uncomfortable.
Fernando and Carolina.. I can’t. Just I love the looks her father gave Fernando. Daggers!

• Love 16

Why can't Kyle and his roommate switch bedrooms? If the roommate is going to be the one getting up early and coming through there. Kyle redeemed himself just a tad with that proposal. That was sweet.

Fernando....dude, you're not convincing anyone at that table that you are not running some type of scam. I'm not saying he is, but if he's taking their only daughter to a foreign country where she doesn't speak the language, you better start moving some mountains.

Mark just gives me the creeps. From that silky blue shirt he wears in his talking heads, to how he keeps reminding Nikki of his ex, with the car..... the whistle.... the 70s track lighting above his platform bed. I want to burn that red Polo shirt.

• Love 9

Idiot Kyle. It’s not the feminine touch Noon wants to add. It’s CLEANLINESS. Embrace it. Learn it. Love it.

THANK YOU! Just gross. No amount of tapestries or scarves you hang is going to cover up the fact that there are roaches crawling all over your shit. She must be in love because I would not stay there or clean it up because it's not my mess. Do these people even think or plan before bringing over their fiances? It's bad enough that she has to walk through Bad Ronald's room to pee or leave the house or whatever...just no.

• Love 3

Here, have a car.

It's just like the one I bought my ex wife 20 years ago.

She's from the same town as you, did you know that?

Anyway, she asked me for it, same color and everything.

No, I'm not trying to fix a past relationship by bringing you here and getting you a visa and buying you the same clothes and car as my ex-wife who escaped...er, left me with 4 kids under 4. That's a normal thing to do, right? I mean it probably happens in Cebu all the time. Lots of women leave their 4 children to find themselves and not in a Leah from Teen Mom kinda way.

Anyway, here's the car. Don't ask me to not talk about my ex wife. You just remind me so much of her. But you're much nicer.

• Love 13

I've been trying to give Mark the benefit of the doubt, but the train whistle, zebra upholstered headboard and matching sheets, wall phone, and the fact that he went out of his way to buy the exact car that his ex-wife had. He's not over her.

Fernando just strikes me as shady. Her parents are right to be throwing daggers and asking questions.

Aleksandra is sweet. She does look 16 and really innocent faced. Her MIL could not look more sour if she tried. The young lady's mother isn't there to help so she could've smiled or at least feigned interest.

• Love 6

If Mark is worried that Nikki is bored, why doesn't he, I dunno, TALK TO HER about it? Ask what she might like to do?

His pirate shirts? No. His train whistle? Would be shoved so far up his ass if he dared tweet it my way. And he is so damn creepy about his wife that fled, I almost wonder if it's an act. But then I look at his OK Cupid profile again and realize he really is just that creepy. 

You don't "surprise" someone with skydiving.

I'm really starting to feel bad for Devar and Mel. His mom is a bit of a witch, hey?

• Love 3

I couldn't help but notice that Carolina's family was eating on a beautiful tablecloth. So shut your stupid mouth Fernando. And I loved how he was all "there are a million Carolinas" to her family. Way to make her feel special.

Noon is a good sport. I would not have done that. Roach man should have spent the money on an exterminator instead of a sky diving jaunt.

Why are Melanie's parents paying for their rings? I'd be pretty embarrassed as a 30+ year old gainfully employed woman to have my parents pay for my rings.

Can Mark go for a single episode without comparing Nicki to his ex wife or children? Jesus.

• Love 7

I'm really starting to feel bad for Devar and Mel. His mom is a bit of a witch, hey?

She wasn't Mother Warmth but she was a damn sight better than Mel's sister.  Mel wasn't called a diseased whore. Mel was hugged, offered food and a home cooked meal and his mom hoped that her son would be a good stepdad to her son and they would be together forever. Maybe she just isn't effusive but that could be due to the fractured mother/son relationship? I probably stand alone but I thought the grill question of 'how do you feel about me marrying a white woman' was a bit much. Why doesn't Devar (or Mel) ask the same question of his new in-laws?  Afraid of the answer? Already know the answer? Maybe this is me being overly sensitive but it kinda chaps my ass to see the whole potentially 'hating on black men/white women' trope thrown into the lap of the black woman shown on this show. YMMV.

Woah, that 'stop it' Mel snapped at Devar when he was kissing on her at the jewelry store and his look of astonishment. 

Mark just seems to be passive aggressively threatening with Nikki vis a vis his ex-wife. It is like he is using her to keep her insecure and as a cautionary tale in a way. 

Carolina reminds me of someone but I can't think of who. And wow look at that her family doesn't eat with their feet on the floor. That Fernando is a real charmer. 

• Love 13