Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

Someone should get Daya from last season to verify that Nikki's ring is real.

I did find that most of the couples were more likable in the finale, but that only underscores how much of their drama was manufactured in the first place. There was never a question in the beginning that Loren/Alexei, Kyle/Noon, Aleksandra/Josh, Melanie/Devar were real couples and were going to get married. The Fernando/Carolina story was largely about whether she would get the visa, and so Mark/Nikki was the only real drama. And honestly, it was really uncomfortable to watch. He got her kicked out of her home and yet he continued pursuing the relationship. He's admitted now that he controls her financially. That is emotional abuse. We've never seen her with any friends aside from his relatives. That's disturbing. And that's what we see with the cameras on?

This whole season felt rushed to me. I'll probably give season 4 a try but TLC really needs to find more interesting couples, give them a narrative arc, and up the production value. It felt like everything but the reunion show was shot on someone's iPad.

• Love 7

Here's my wedding commentary...

Aleks/Josh. That hairstyle did not suit here. I hate that curled tendrils around the face look, it wasn't really acceptable after prom 1997. Dress was meh but that's to be expected.

Noon/Kyle- Noon looked absolutely beautiful. Classic and regal! Some folks on here said Noon is "round"- not seeing it, folks. She is a size 6, at most, and this is coming from a size 0 woman (looking at you, Mark-- also, happily married, hmmmm). Kyle never really won me over, but he's alright, I suppose.

Fernando/Caro- She looked pretty, but the star of that wedding was the dog in the sailor suit. Anicia's got jokes... I always knew she was just playing!

Loren/Alexei- The pink kippahs were too much. That dress did not seem like her style, more like her interpretation of what a "fashionista" would get married in. My aunt wore a similar number getting married in her 50s (30yr career in the fashion industry).

Melanie/Devar- White tuxes are NOT my jam. Never a good idea. Never. Melanie looked like a bag of smashed assholes. The dress was not flattering on her and that black ribbon was ridiculous! Why not a black sash or headband... You know, something that makes sense and didn't come from the Dollar Tree.

Nikki/Mark- 1980 called, and they want that ensemble back. She could have looked cute in a lot of things and that was not one of them. My mom got married in a similar number in '80- flower crown and all. That flower crown & funky dress did Nikki no flavors. Not even one.

• Love 4

I also felt rushed this season.  They should have had three couples and spent more time with them.  The show was cut up into too many snippets.  Just think if we could have had 17 delicious minutes a week with Mark!  I guess I would have chosen Mark and Nikki, the Mormons, and Jamaica Love Fest.

• Love 1

I also felt rushed this season.  They should have had three couples and spent more time with them.  The show was cut up into too many snippets.  Just think if we could have had 17 delicious minutes a week with Mark!  I guess I would have chosen Mark and Nikki, the Mormons, and Jamaica Love Fest.

I would have probably chosen Mark/Nikki, Loren/Alexi, and Kyle/Noon.....if I had to choose a fourth Mel/Devar.

I think M/N, L/A had the drama, K/N the sweetness and M/D had that one special family member that doesn't have any self-awareness.....although I remember Mark's sister with those blue leggings, and I feel like she probably didn't have much self-awareness either.

• Love 2

I wish this show was "on demand" (Time Warner's fucking around this week) so I could watch it again.   From what I saw, Mark is REAL, REAL old school.  He's from a time when men felt they only needed to protect and provide for their wives.  It was a time when men had their lives and women had theirs.  See, to Mark, providing for their wife is love.  And to some people, that is love, but the problem with Mark is he doesn't seem to want Nikki to have her own life.  I mean what does she do all day?  Does she go to school?  Does she have friends or is she at Mark's beck and call all day?  

I don't think his age is to blame.  If he is 58, then he was in high school/college during the "women's movement".  He was in his 20's during the 80's when it was very common for mothers to work and use daycare. He has no excuses, he's just an odd duck and, it appears, has always been.  With his quirks and resistance to change he has no business being with a younger woman.  (of course no man in his 50's has any business starting a relationship with a teenager)

• Love 7

"Sheesh, girl, don't you even find it sexy that this is the kind of man who'd run into a burning building to save people?"   Well, if she doesn't, I do!

well, we didn't get 2 dozen roses and 5 star dining so it wasn't the true Mark experience.  But, you can't woo all of America at once, right Mark?  And besides, he didn't want all us fat, ugly, bitter women to get all jealous because we can't have a specimen like him.

Especially those of us over 35.

• Love 4

I know I'm late to this party, but one (of a zillion) things that drove me crazy about Mark was how he kept saying that he went to the Philippines because he wants a partner. And yet everything he has ever done in relation to Nikki is in no way in support of a partnership. Learn words better Mark.

• Love 18

I thought the Tell All was awkward overall. The host was a little hard hitting with her questions, but at the same time this is "reality" TV - she's not supposed to be interviewing the GOP candidates or the CEO of Kinder Morgan.

My fave couple is still Noon and Kyle - he is really smitten with her and she seems to be the nurturing kind - they seem perfect together.

Aleks and Josh - still awkward, but very nice kids. I wonder if she went through with the wedding because she felt bad about turning around and going home. They are both so very young. I have this feeling that in 5 years, Aleks will go through a mid-mid-life crisis and let her suppressed (not oppressed or repressed) wild side out once again.

Fernando and Caro - I like them, but I still don't understand the attraction that Caro has for Fernando. She seems to miss home and family and friends a lot - I hope she finds a productive outlet for herself!

Melanie and Devar - I don't like either of them at all, but if I had to choose one, I think Hunter is the most likeable. :)

Loren and Alexei - I think she amps it up for the cameras or other people, but when it's just the two of them, I think she is probably more subdued and more likeable. I wonder if Alexei will tire of her, though.

Mark and Nikki - he is emotionally (and physically) stuck at whatever age he was in the 80s or 90s when his 1st wife left him. I think it was someone here who said that he is hoping to right whatever wrongs he felt had been done to him then with Nikki (or something to that effect) and I think that is so true. I also still stand by what I said earlier about Nikki not being some meek, subservient thing. She's got a temper that we saw very brief glimpses of and poor, unsuspecting Mark doesn't know what's coming his way.

• Love 2

"Fernando and Caro - I like them, but I still don't understand the attraction that Caro has for Fernando. She seems to miss home and family and friends a lot - I hope she finds a productive outlet for herself!"   I thought that at first too, but he ended up having a pretty good personality.  Plus he was 50 pounds lighter when they met and so a looker....and oftentimes that first impression sticks in your mind.  

• Love 2

Well, Aleksandra  said "I'm only 21 and I'm going to get married, I'm too young to have a husband. This is horrible". So, even though I think she wanted to get married and seems to want stability in a relationship (like her parents' long marriage) it all happened so fast that it will take a long time to process everything that has happened to her that year: leaving a lifestyle, school, becoming mormon, getting married and having a baby.

Her Dad's blessing at the wedding was "I wish you an ocean of children", so maybe culturaly  she was more open to being a Mom than we think.

Alexi and Loren: agree 100%. To this day I don't know what values keep them together.

I was wondering about birth control and the Mormons, is it okay to go on the pill, or anything else?

I do think Devar plans to work. If he and Mel decided that he shouldn't and instead take care of Hunter or do something else then fine.

I have no problem with any man being a stay at home caretaker for a child, but Melanie only has Hunter part-time, so what would Devar do with the rest of his time? 

• Love 3

I have no problem with any man being a stay at home caretaker for a child, but Melanie only has Hunter part-time, so what would Devar do with the rest of his time? 

Take care of household and family stuff?  Cook, clean, lawn work, shopping, errands, etc. 

• Love 3

I'm firmly in the camp that Devar was serious about the 90%, he made it clear he wanted to help his family, I won't go as far as to say he is only with Melanie to get into the states, they do seem to love each other, but I think he still sees himself as the bread winner and feels responsible for his sisters. I think it's great to help if he can, but pledging 90% especially before even knowing what 90% would be is a bit unreasonable. Even in the season when this conversation came up he backtracked... If it were a joke then why not say it then. Plus it's not funny, really at all.

I'm a little confused by Melanie's finances, it's not a huge deal, it's her business, but taking trips to Jamaica every six weeks, but then having her parents by her wedding band seems weird to me. It's like in some ways she seemed fully independent and well to do per se, but then in others she wasn't... Like I said it doesn't really matter, just kinda contradicts each other.

And as far as the redness, it could just be a reaction to being nervous or something, I turn red/flushed pretty much any time I'm the center of attention (I hate it) But that's also a reason I would never be on tv... Who knows.

On 11/15/2015 at 11:07 PM, cooksdelight said:

Let's all go make party, K? Because this was the episode of nobody being happy.

God, what a selfish asshole Mark is, telling us that he's not going to give up decades of his personal time to help someone else see their dreams. Run, Nikki, run like the wind! He keeps comparing her to the ex, OMG that would make me pack up and leave immediately. Maybe it's you, Mark... maybe that's why your ex changed and left you.

And his dirty feet. I thought he was so prosperous. Mark... stop damn talking about Nikki having her period. The poor girl is tired, in pain and you need to stop harassing her and get a grip. He's expecting her to act like someone his age, but she's freaking 19 years old!!!

As Nikki was using that knife to cut the mangos, I was hoping it would fly across the table onto his neck. If Mark doesn't want kids, get a damn vascetomy. And... why is there an electric keyboard in his bedroom next to the bed?

Yay, Noon got a new home with no bugs! I just knew that other place was a setup for the show. Noon, honey, flirting in order to get big tips is part of Kyle's job. Plus, those girls were setups, they barely drank half of their Hurricanes. TLC probably threw them $50 to appear.

Loren is going to drive Alexei crazy. He even said "to get her off my back" about the modeling. She drives me nuts and I don't even know her. He's already whipped. Carrying the pink Vera Bradley bag. He looked terrified in those photos.

I noticed one of Josh's brothers had on a red shirt with CCCP on the front, obviously a gift from Aleksandra. I think they are all closer than the show wants us to believe. I hate TLC for making a sweet, young couple look like misfits. And the choppy editing during the talk with the parents was so obvious. Glad to see that happy ending.

Melanie....Devar....whatever. The fakiness of their situation was jumping out because Melanie can't act.

Sorry for the delayed reaction as I'm watching Season 3 for the first time!

Mark.  Holy fuck, this is one sick, sick man in my opinion.  He's controlling.  He's angry.  He's a pervert.  Dating a teen at his age is flat out disgusting.  I'm really finding it hard to believe he's 58.  He seems much, much older.  

I feel so sorry for Nikki.  It must be a hellish existence where she grew up if she thinks Mark is her savior.

I'm always amazed watching these shows and seeing the shitholes these beautiful, foreign ,men/women end up living in.  At least Alla's husband had a nice house.  I can't imagine being a Mo and living in Danielle's dump.  And Nikki being in that cheeseball house. Loren's parent's condo is a dump.  I can't quite understand how living with them and not working was a good move, other than for a TV show storyline.  And maybe it's me, but I don't think Alexei is good looking.  He's tall, yes, but I don't see model.  

• Love 1
On 11/29/2015 at 10:25 PM, autumnh said:

Oh Mark....run, run....run far away....

I know I am years late to this discussion, but I just found out about this golden dumpster fire. When she said something along the lines of "so I do not get a reward if we are married for a few years and then get divorced?" Who thinks like that???? A reward? You're not helping Crime Stoppers solve a mystery, sweetheart. He seems kinda harsh but he makes sense. He was burned once, he raised four children on his own, and he had to still pay his ex somehow (that part I do not understand). He is simply saying "if it doesn't work out, we part ways and have no obligations to each other, but I hope it works out this time".