Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E03: Where My Dogs At?

• Start Topic

Justin's response to Team Texas threatening to U-turn them was,  "Cool, you U-turn us I'm just going to U-turn the team behind us, and then when there's another U-turn, its time to pay you back."  But once Team Green has used their U-turn, they can't use another, so how exactly do they plan on paying them back?

The first part is good game play - you were U-Turned, you could come in last and be out of the game, you u-turn someone else to make sure they're delayed to.  The second part is the opposite of good game play - There seems to be at least one team every season that does this - Both Texas and Justin (but mostly Texas although the quote is Justin's) are going to become so focused on getting each other out, getting revenge for u-turns or just getting the team that's nearly as good as they are that they're going to forget there are other teams in the race and you have to beat all of them.  Not just the one getting on your nerves.  It's good to want the biggest threat out but if they go tunnel vision on that idea they usually get blindsided by the second biggest threat that's catching up to them because they're not paying attention.

Other than that the leg was fun but not great - Not a fan of the Cindy and Rick - I think they're just as overly confident in their ability and their superiority to the other teams as Tanner/Josh just not as vocally; so there was some enjoyment when they forgot that whip.  I'm still not clear on what Denise did; haven't others yelled things like "try the red one" or "look in the left section" (not real examples but close).  Or maybe people say things that aren't specific like "try a different color" and Denise's advice was too specific?  Either way James Earl gets credit for being able to explain why he's upset without any drama or hysterics while waiting out the penalty.  But mostly..........................I was watching the dogs.

• Love 3
I'm still not clear on what Denise did; haven't others yelled things like "try the red one" or "look in the left section" (not real examples but close).  Or maybe people say things that aren't specific like "try a different color" and Denise's advice was too specific?

Exactly.  She told him the big one was wrong.  That is not allowed.  Partners can yell things like "Look at it again" or encouragements but are forbidden to give any specific hints.  The examples you mention are absolutely out of line.

• Love 4

I also am not as irritated by team Texas. Last week they were running so hard because they thought they were racing for first place, not second. Green team had finished almost 30 minutes ahead of them. ..they did not know that at the time. Texas even said (it goes by quickly, you have to listen for it) they thought they were racing for first in the talking head. This week they said their physical strength was their asset ..and now that was taken from them...they didn't brag they were going to win it all. Like them or not, at least have the criticism be fair. Now Justin.....that is another story...and that mom...just....No.

I'm not minding Team Texas, either.  I'm not rooting for them to win, either, but I don't dislike them.  Justin would annoy the hell out of me, too, and he's probably much worse than he's been shown.  I wanted to like Team Green, too, since they're big fans of the show but Justin should know that being loud and overly obnoxious is not a good strategy.  And I can't quite decide if he's being OTT for screen time or if he's just that excited to be playing.

I really, really dislike James Earl's mom (can't remember he name right now) but I like him and wish he was racing with someone else.  He would probably be my favorite if not for her.

Team Cheerleader truly annoyed me when they were hugging and kissing on the local's.  I just don't think it's cool to get all up in someone's personal space like that and it seemed to make them uncomfortable.

And finally, I don't like God bothering in the race.  Just don't like it.  Please, guys, don't do that again.

• Love 2

Justin reminds me of a big, clumsy Labrador puppy -- just plain happy to be here, and can't control his exuberance about it.  It gets wearing over time, but I haven't quite gotten tired of it yet.  I suspect I will, though.

All I could think of when the cheerleader was whining about how heavy the meat was was Charla toting the entire side of beef with few complaints and for a much longer distance.  Come on cheerleader, sack it up.  You might be an athlete, but you aren't as tough as Charla!

• Love 7

I wish the penalty were longer just because Denise is so annoying. Too bad we couldn't swap and have James Earl race with Diana. Then all the irritation could be harnessed in one place.

The penalty should have been longer, or they should have been disqualified.   My problem with the "penalty" is that this early in the race, when the teams are so spread out (and you're in the top tier), chances are that 1/2 hour penalty isn't going to affect you all that much. You won't finish where you thought you would, but it's doubtful you'll be sent home. If it was later in the race, and the teams were all closer, it's a different story and can have a larger impact.

So, really, you could decide to "help" your partner, knowing that you risk a penalty that probably won't amount to much.  Granted it's always a risk, but it can be an acceptable risk depending on how many teams are left and what the spread is.

I loved the dogs, but they made me sort of sad too.  Especially the one that was limping.

Overall, not that enthused with the show this season so far.

• Love 1

Why is Team Texas bribing another team to U-Turn Justin & Diana? For that Express Pass, please. If you want Justin and Diana U-Turned then do it yourselves and give the pass to another team. I can't stand when a team wants another team to do their work for them. Why does another team have to give up their U-Turn to fulfill your needs? 

If #TeamLonghorn doesn't use their U-Turn this time around...........

I think almost everyone has dated a Justin, I know I have and I'm not sure how long its going to take before Diana poisons him with antifreeze.  

I'm not a fan of the Texans, but I hate Justin more so I think this is how they should do the U-Turn.....

1. Texans let someone ahead of them by a few minutes.

2. The team ahead of the Texans u-turns the Texans

3. The Texans u-turn the Green Team

4. Texans use their express pass for the second task

This way the Green Team can't U-Turn anyone else so they are stuck having to do the second task.  That probably gets them out of the race entirely since no one is as behind as the dancers were.  But even if it doesn't fully get them out of the race it puts them way, way behind everyone else.

By the way -- how many damn hats did Justin pack?

Wrong execution..

1. #Longhorn lets a team get ahead of them

2. They U-Turn #RADONREDUX

3. #RADONREDUX U-Turns #Longhorn

4. #Longhorn uses the XPass

The first part is good game play - you were U-Turned, you could come in last and be out of the game, you u-turn someone else to make sure they're delayed to.  The second part is the opposite of good game play - There seems to be at least one team every season that does this - Both Texas and Justin (but mostly Texas although the quote is Justin's) are going to become so focused on getting each other out, getting revenge for u-turns or just getting the team that's nearly as good as they are that they're going to forget there are other teams in the race and you have to beat all of them.  Not just the one getting on your nerves.  It's good to want the biggest threat out but if they go tunnel vision on that idea they usually get blindsided by the second biggest threat that's catching up to them because they're not paying attention.

Other than that the leg was fun but not great - Not a fan of the Cindy and Rick - I think they're just as overly confident in their ability and their superiority to the other teams as Tanner/Josh just not as vocally; so there was some enjoyment when they forgot that whip.  I'm still not clear on what Denise did; haven't others yelled things like "try the red one" or "look in the left section" (not real examples but close).  Or maybe people say things that aren't specific like "try a different color" and Denise's advice was too specific?  Either way James Earl gets credit for being able to explain why he's upset without any drama or hysterics while waiting out the penalty.  But mostly..........................I was watching the dogs.

At this point there's no one I'm rooting for, so I'm hoping a #SourTasteInMyMouth ending doesn't happen

The dancers leave, but I don't think we heard them say anything this week about having 5 jobs and living in their car, and I don't think we heard Mom&Son talk about how she didn't speak to him after she found out he was gay, but we had to suffer through the cheerleaders telling us they are athletes.  Now, I have never been a cheerleader nor have I known any professional cheerleaders, so cheerleaders may certainly be athletes, but I don't care, I don't want to hear about it anymore.  I get that these repeated comments/stories are probably in answer to questions from the TAR staff, but those cheerleaders need to find a different way to answer them.  

A few seasons ago, a lot of people disliked the Afghanimals because they were "Mugging for the camera all the time." I didn't have a problem with them and felt that their "mugging" was just them enjoying the race (picking up the locals was rude though) and theat they were probably rather fun-loving guys outside the race too.  However, I dislike Justin because he is mugging for the camera all the time.  Looking straight into the camera to make any joke he can think of.  I haven't seen anyone mention this, so maybe I got it wrong, but I thought I saw Justin dance with one of the locals, not as a requirement, just as a a way to get camera time.  

I can see how someone else might feel that what I see as "mugging" is really Justin "enjoying the race."  I saw it that way with the Afghanimals, so why don't I see it that way with Justin?  Perhaps because the Afghanimals joked around together and played off each other.  Diana never laughs at Justin's jokes or antics, Diana never joins in with Justin's "fun."  

Not a fan of the Texans either - too cocky, and because they are doing well despite doing foolish things like their "get Justin tunnel vision."  

Denise needs to shut it as well.  God, she's a heinous bitch.

I wouldn't be surprised if James Earl just said he was gay so that his mother would stop talking to him for a while.  

Next year, he will tell her he has joined some religion she doesn't approve of to get her to give him the silent treatment.  Then the following year, he will do something else she doesn't approve of - not sure what that would be (how narrow-minded is she?), maybe get his tongue/nose pierced? get a tattoo of Liberace? Grow dreadlocks? 

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 13

With both the cousins and the dancers gone, I don't care who wins now. I don't hate anyone, but no one stands out as someone I want to root for either. However, I do give the cheerleader an F for the day for referring to herself and her teammate as "little girls," as if she was being self-deprecating but really was just bragging about how cute and petite they are. And an F for Justin for general Justinness.

Poor dogs. I really wanted someone to just stop doing the roadblock and give them the meat.

• Love 5

If #TeamLonghorn doesn't use their U-Turn this time around...........

Wrong execution..

1. #Longhorn lets a team get ahead of them

2. They U-Turn #RADONREDUX

3. #RADONREDUX U-Turns #Longhorn

4. #Longhorn uses the XPass

At this point there's no one I'm rooting for, so I'm hoping a #SourTasteInMyMouth ending doesn't happen

Are these nicknames for teams? I can't decode them.

• Love 5

Free Diana. Free James Earl. Can we have a mid-race swap where they start racing together instead of having to be with their hellacious partners who never, ever shut up?

I thought for sure this was shaping up to be a non-elimination leg with the total lack of bunching. Bye Jin and Ernest. I liked you.

There aren't too many people I'm actually rooting for at this point. Maybe Kelsey and Joey, and probably against my own better judgment, Tanner and Josh.

Edited by hendersonrocks

I loved the way each team was issued a dog. (Though it could have been the meat aroma)

The Texans don't bother me that much, so far. At least they are polite to the locals and speak Spanish respectfully (No "Andele!, Adele!" or "mucho quicko" that we have seen from racers in the past.) I was actually amazed at how many racers spoke Spanish this leg. Okay it's not Hindustani and a lot of Americans have studied it in school, but still it seems like more teams than usual.

I'm not a fan of the God bothering, though, and they can quit that any time. I don't mind the rivalry between the Texans and Justin and his partner, if he has one. Justin irritates me, so I am Team Texans for this one. 

I had liked the track stars but they kind of blended into the masses this leg. 

Sorry to see the dancers go. Funny, but this would have been the leg where it would be appropriate to mention their homelessness and working the 5 jobs thing, and they didn't say a word about it.

Two tasks that involved matching things to a model. I find those tasks kind of inherently boring. I prefer more action than watching teams try to figure out what detail they screwed up. 

If I were the non performing member of a roadblock, it would be hard for me to remember to keep my mouth shut, and not shout out the answers. No wonder the watchers are always yelling out the same stuff over and over again "C'mon, Teammate! You've got this!"

I'm surprised that more people aren't penalized for this, since it must be maddening to sit and watch a teammate screw up, when the answer might be perfectly obvious to YOU. Personally, in this case,  I think that a 30 minute penalty was fair. It's not like she got up and turned the meat for him. There may be a longer penalty for physically helping during a road block or for repeatedly yelling out instructions. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the scenery more than the actual tasks during this episode. When teams get to the pit stop and Phil tells them what place they're in and they say "we'll take it" like they have a choice. I mean they can step aside and let another team take the spot. 

It's just a figure of speech that means "I'm ok with that result".  

One was once again bragging about how they're "real athletes", followed immediately by a clip of the other one dropping the slabs of meat and whining that it's too heavy.  LOL

I didn't mind the "real athletes" part but the preceding line, "People look at us and see a couple of little girls" kind of made me sick.

I think most of the racers were having trouble with the direction of the bones because the sample they kept looking at was not placed near a fire.  They were looking at the details of hooking it to the skewers but could not see the fire reference.

Also, I am past ready to see the last of that screaming harpy and her son, but giving her a bit of pass on his name.  I don't think she named him after the infamous assasin James Earl Ray or the actor James Earl Jones...but former President James Earl (Jimmy) Carter.

I thought they all had the spit on the animals front side, not its back.  

I think someone said James and Earl are family names.  

Today I wished the show was fixed because the most entertaining team left and that sucks.  And all they'd have had to do was make Denise's penalty longer.  Oh well, fair is fair.

I loved Ernest for the title quote: "Where my dogs at?"  He was worried about hitting them with the horse cart, I think.  Awww. 

I was so mad the dancers got eliminated. Reminded me of Harley and Jon's exit - good team, fun to watch, behind the pack with absolutely no chance to catch up. Sucks.

The race seems really dull now. I can't keep any of the teams straight, and they're either annoying as hell or totally bland.

• Love 2

I'm sad the dancers are gone but I got the impression that they were very unsure of their navigation skills. Justin doesn't annoy me and I think Diana finds him amusing; as long as he doesn't start berating her, I'm good.

I don't think any team should 'volunteer' to be u-turned, what if you get a task that you simply cannot do? I'm thinking of the times Phil has had to come eliminate someone in the field (literally with the hay bales girl), I wouldn't take that chance.

The reporters are surprising me, I thought they would be 'on' all the time and instead they are practically invisible, I hope to see more of them. (pun not intended)

Edited by dgpolo
  • Love 2

I cannot stand when the teams talk about God as if God is invested in the race.  Team Texas--the one said to the other--I prayed and then 10 seconds later you got it! This was in the meat challenge I think. Dude if you are that tight with God pray for a healed hamstring!

Of course God is on their side...He's rewarding them for demonstrating the pure Christian virtue of talking shit about someone behind their backs.

Their vendetta against Justin is not just tactics against a competitve threat. It started as and remains pure personal animosity of the most shallow "cool kids" sort.

Don't like someone, fine. Actively seek to undermine them out of that dislike, and then turn around and brag about how Christian you are? Stuff it, hypocrites.

• Love 17

I'm a total veggie person anyway, and man, that meat challenge just felt like Hellraiser to me. We had to fast forward through most of the episode. I get that people eat meat. I get that other countries have different customs, cultures and that meat may be a big part of this culture... but still.. just really uneasy and queasy for us to watch.

• Love 2

I'm a total veggie person anyway, and man, that meat challenge just felt like Hellraiser to me. We had to fast forward through most of the episode. I get that people eat meat. I get that other countries have different customs, cultures and that meat may be a big part of this culture... but still.. just really uneasy and queasy for us to watch.

It could be worse. From the wikipedia summary of Season 7, leg 3 (also in Argentina):

Leg 3 of this race featured a difficult Roadblock in which players had to eat four pounds of meat and organs. Four players actually quit the food eating task: Rob, Meredith, Deana, and Patrick; the most anyone has ever quit a task in a single leg. Although it was not aired on television or in the DVD, Patrick quit the Roadblock but later decided to complete it. The aired portion had Patrick eating and finishing the meat and never did take the four hour penalty.
Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Loved the dogs, every one of them, and I was struck by how healthy and well-kept most of them looked. If they were strays, this speaks well of the town and its attitude towards animals. Ernest got extra points for being so aware of 'his' dogs and working to avoid hitting them with the carriage.

I have very little to say about most of the teams because I don't have strong feelings about them. 

Team ChacAttack - I think he's probably a fine doctor and I enjoyed the low-key pride he took in his 'stitches' on the Roadblock, but based on his treatment of his own (new) wife, I wonder what kind of bedside manner he has. They bled time after a promising start.

Team AlphaTexas - I don't particularly like them, openly dislike their hate-focus on TeamGreen, and think it may cost them in the end. Or maybe I'm just wishing it would. The hamstring didn't seem to be a problem this leg, and I'm ok with that since I don't like seeing anyone in pain (well, Jonathan of Jonathan/VictoREEA infamy could have gotten slightly injured and I wouldn't have wept, which makes me a terrible person, but it's true). And guys? God is in the tub - he doesn't care if you - or anyone else - wins the Race. They do get a point or two from me for speaking respectfully to Team Green at the Mat, even if they do talk trash behind their backs. They acknowledged that TG is formidable, and even that Justin's 'superfan' status could be helpful.

Team Green - I know Justin is annoying, and not just to Team AlphaTexas, but I can't help but like him. He loves the game, he's studied it, and he's trying to use what he knows to advance his team legitimately. And when he isn't upset about mistakes he makes (which he owns as his, not blaming anyone else)  he seems to be having a good time.

TeamPaparazzi - Between what they do for a living and the tension between them I didn't expect to like them, but I do. There's something about them that's mature and maybe even elegant. Or maybe I'm still influenced by her Tango.

Team Anchor - Competent, pleasant, not getting wrapped up in dramatic rivalries. I like them and should probably like them more. Probably will, if they last, which I think they will.

Team Cheerleader - Yes, I get it, you're athletes. Except you're not very good athletes so far.  I don't hold the hugging against them - I might do that myself if I was excited. I'm ashamed now.

Team ILoveMyDeadGaySon (tm "Heathers") - She really is kind of awful. He really is amazingly patient and articulate. I thought the penalty was appropriate, and I think they did, too.

Team Trackstars - I like them a lot, but they were barely featured in this leg at all.

Team HomelessDancers - Damn! They were warm, funny, sweet, gave their best effort to every task, enjoyed the experience, charmed the people around them... so of course they're gone now. They just simply were so far behind that they couldn't catch up without some serious bunching, which didn't happen. They even tried to look out for the dogs that stalked them for beef.

• Love 7

I'm liking Justin a lot because:

1.  He is a real, everyday person unlike the local TV anchors who know how to present a "polished" (fake) personna on television.  (They look like Team Manikin).  He is the ultimate anit-mactor.  Raw, annoying a lot of the time, but joyful and somewhat innocent.  Overly critical of any mistake he makes because he cares so much for the show.  And watching ALL seasons at least 3 times?  Even The Family Edition?!?!  Kudos for that perserverance.

You don't think the fact that he has his own radio show puts him a bit more in the "mactor" group rather than anti-mactor?  As a person doing radio, I would think he should be every bit as polished as you say the Anchors are. 

Please, don't manhandle the people in charge of the tasks. They aren't your new pals. Hands (and lips!) off!

This x100.  All this person did is approve how you did a task and hand you a clue.  Let's save the hugging and kissing for family members, best friends, and people who save your life.

Justin's response to Team Texas threatening to U-turn them was,  "Cool, you U-turn us I'm just going to U-turn the team behind us, and then when there's another U-turn, its time to pay you back."  But once Team Green has used their U-turn, they can't use another, so how exactly do they plan on paying them back?

Now see, I would have thought that Justin would have already known this.  After all, he is a super fan and has watched every single episode at least 3 times.  I'm no where in his league, despite the fact that I started watching this show even before 9/11 (at which point they discontinued it until the next year), and I knew that.  Sure, you might be able to get someone else to do it, but it ain't always that easy.  Ask Chip about the response he got about U-turning Colin, and nobody wanted Colin to remain in the race.

A few seasons ago, a lot of people disliked the Afghanimals because they were "Mugging for the camera all the time." I didn't have a problem with them and felt that their "mugging" was just them enjoying the race (picking up the locals was rude though) and theat they were probably rather fun-loving guys outside the race too.  However, I dislike Justin because he is mugging for the camera all the time.  Looking straight into the camera to make any joke he can think of.  I haven't seen anyone mention this, so maybe I got it wrong, but I thought I saw Justin dance with one of the locals, not as a requirement, just as a a way to get camera time.  

I can see how someone else might feel that what I see as "mugging" is really Justin "enjoying the race."  I saw it that way with the Afghanimals, so why don't I see it that way with Justin?  Perhaps because the Afghanimals joked around together and played off each other.  Diana never laughs at Justin's jokes or antics, Diana never joins in with Justin's "fun."  

This is absolutely a YMMV topic.  I'm with you as far as being annoyed by Justin's looking first for a camera and then mugging and/or shouting.  And he must, it seems, shout every word that comes out of his mouth just in case someone, dog forbid, is not looking at HIM.  If Diana were joining in on the fun, it probably wouldn't bother me as much.

Free Diana. Free James Earl. Can we have a mid-race swap where they start racing together instead of having to be with their hellacious partners who never, ever shut up?

Oh, please, let this happen.  I can't root against James Earl because he seems like such a nice buy, but I can't root for him because of Denise.  I can see why she never does a Roadblock.  It must be hell carrying all that make-up around.  She sure does wear enough of it.

The reporter are surprising me, I thought they would be 'on' all the time and instead they are practically invisible, I hope to see more of them. (pun not intended)

I find them delightful.  No fuss, no muss, no drama.  They act just like the real people they are when they are not on screen. 

• Love 5

Justin seems to get a pass because he is fat and ugly and a superfan of the show.  Yet he is annoying ling cocky and desperate. 

Tanner and Josh are slammed because they are young, attractive, athletic white males. 

I call Double Standard.

Edited by escape
  • Love 7

... despite the fact that I started watching this show even before 9/11 (at which point they discontinued it until the next year)

It was discontinued (like most regular primetime programs at that time) for a while, then resumed (episode 2 aired on September 19, according to Miss Alli's TWoP recap).

• Love 1
Justin seems to get a pass because he is fat and ugly and a superfan of the show.  Yet he is annoying ling cocky and desperate.

Getting a pass from who, exactly? And I think many would agree he's annoying without needing to bring his looks or his body into it.

• Love 9

I don't see Justin "getting a pass" here, or being fat and ugly.  He just looks like Justin from Project Runway to me.  I don't see the Texans getting slammed, either, though.  And typically viewers are predisposed to LIKE the better looking racers, not vice versa.  So I'm not seeing any of this.  

Justin seems to get a pass because he is fat and ugly and a superfan of the show.  Yet he is annoying ling cocky and desperate. 

Tanner and Josh are slammed because they are young, attractive, athletic white males. 

I call Double Standard.

It could be worse. From the wikipedia summary of Season 7, leg 3 (also in Argentina):

Leg 3 of this race featured a difficult Roadblock in which players had to eat four pounds of meat and organs. Four players actually quit the food eating task: Rob, Meredith, Deana, and Patrick; the most anyone has ever quit a task in a single leg. Although it was not aired on television or in the DVD, Patrick quit the Roadblock but later decided to complete it. The aired portion had Patrick eating and finishing the meat and never did take the four hour penalty.

Anyone who saw that season will remember that it was Rob's Jedi skills that made 3 other racers decide to take the penalty after he did so he didn't fall behind teams that completed the task.  That was one of the worst roadblocks ever devised by TAR.  This episode definitely made me think of the meat eating task.

Wow.  I wouldn't consider Justin to be either fat or ugly.  Cocky and desperate?  Understandable opinions.  I also don't understand what "get a pass" means.  

• Love 3

I don't think they ran the whole series twice, but I vaguely remember that they reran the first episode before resuming with the second one. According to IMDb, the first episode ran on September 5 and the second on September 19. I think they might have rerun episode 1 on the 19th as well and done it as a two-hour block? I really can't remember now how they did it, but I'm pretty sure you're right that the first episode aired twice.

Thank you for remembering that.  It gives me hope on the senility front. 

Anyway, I may not be a "super fan" like Justin, but I have watched continuously since it aired, own several DVDs, often watch a repeat of a whole season now that I have On Demand, and even attended a TARCON or two.  And while probably not in Justin's class, even I'm aware that you can only use the U-Turn once unless you're lucky enough to hit a Blind U-Turn.  That part of my OP still stands.

• Love 1

Justin seems to get a pass because he is fat and ugly and a superfan of the show.  Yet he is annoying ling cocky and desperate.

Tanner and Josh are slammed because they are young, attractive, athletic white males.

When have those opinions been pronounced?

That was one of the worst roadblocks ever devised by TAR.  

Worst why?  I admit, it would be very difficult to complete, but what about eating (drinking?) a huge bowl of polish soup, throwing it back up into the bowl and having to eat it again?  Now, that was nasty!

(And the band played on...)

• Love 3

^ I agree, Netfoot, that's why I said one of the worst. I think any time racers are forced(*) to eat large quantities of anything it is horrible. The pounds of caviar was a terrible task too.

* on the other hand if it's a choice between that and another task, that's ok.

• Love 2

Just got caught up on the new season.

I'm SO bummed about Ernest and Jin. They're the ones I wanted to see do well (I'm a SYTYCD fan). They didn't seem worldly enough to last long, but others like that have gotten further than expected. I'm glad Phil was so kind to them. That *was* one of the nicest elimination scenes ever. I hope they get something out of this.

Two of my favorite teams were racing for last this ep -- yep, I am surprised to say I'm a fan of the cheerleaders -- I was really hoping for a NEL.

Also enjoying the Tracksters.

One of the Texans looks just like Nico Tortorella. I couldn't remember the actor's name and at times was convinced it was him.

Edited by Electruck
  • Love 2

Funny, I don't mind Justin at all.  He's so full of enthusiasm and so over the top that he makes me smile.  And Diana seems like a good counterpoint, very calm, and they have solid communication.

On the other hand I can't stand the Texas boys' hatred of Justin, or their cockiness that they thought they'd coast (the show HAD to put that in because they have a huge embarrassing exit right? RIGHT????), or their twice invoking God and prayer.  And I hate Tanner's stupid hairstyle.

Sorry to see the dancers go..  Glad Ernest didn't comment on how dusting a carriage is beneath him.  I guess I'm rooting for the track stars now.

• Love 3

The only thing I could think about when they were carrying, and often dropping, the meat was Charla lugging that 50lb hunk of meat in Season 5.

I'm very sorry that Ernest and Jin are gone. I need to remember not to mention to anyone which team I like, it immediately jinxes them. On the other hand, Go Denise. Go far...away.

• Love 3

Hi to all ,,new to this forum but not new t o reality shows/TAR etc,,,

like Justin I am a fan but he is soooo annoying. I dislike Youtube "stars" 

Docs annoy me (him).....and Denise is another irritant

I don't mind Team Texas...I sort of like the reporters - they may go far and even win IMHO

Papparazzi were gracious when they saw mom-son penalty

I liked Dancers and wished a non -elim..sigh

• Love 3

Hi to all ,,new to this forum but not new t o reality shows/TAR etc,,,

like Justin I am a fan but he is soooo annoying. I dislike Youtube "stars" 

Docs annoy me (him).....and Denise is another irritant

I don't mind Team Texas...I sort of like the reporters - they may go far and even win IMHO

Papparazzi were gracious when they saw mom-son penalty

I liked Dancers and wished a non -elim..sigh

Yeah -- that made me like Team Paparazzi (or at least him)

I just can't with Justin.  I totally thought it was going to be a NEL just to save the dancers.  I wasn't a fan, but they both had a very good attitude about the whole thing so it would have been nice to see them stay and maybe win a leg, or a prize or something.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

I was asking myself (since I can't speak to god the way the chosen can): "Why, oh, why did god pull Numpty's hamstring?"

Turns out god, omnipotent & omnipresent, foresaw the venal plot he and his fellow fomented...

Beware a righteous reckoning. It'll a git ya limpin'!

• Love 7

Justin is a dick.  The Texas boys are a holes.  A pox on both of them.  Diana seems to be trying to hide from embarrassment.

I hate this whole "alliance" idea and hope it bites them in the butt.  I guess it's human nature to jump in with a group having a common target, but this isn't Survivor.  Trying to bribe people with the cursed Express Pass is really tacky, but in typical jock a hole self-centeredness, they seem to think that everyone else will let them run the show.  Even God wants them to win.  Ughh.

I would yes them death and UTurn them if I got the chance.

I hate the Texans -- such entitled douchebaggery. Justin is socially awkward and a loud-mouth, but I get the feeling the Texans have picked on similarly awkward people in their past (I get such a "frat boys picking on nerds" vibe from them, it isn't funny.) I did sense one of the Texans is nicer than the other, since he seemed to give his partner the side-eye when he bitched about Justin for the umpteenth time. But, they come as a package, so I want them both gone. Plus, all their God-bothering really grated on my nerves.

I also like Justin's partner way better than him (Diana?) and I admire her calmness in the face of the Justin whirlwind. Wish I could cut the teams apart and reorganize...

LOL at the cheerleaders bragging how they're athletes, then dragging the meat through the dusty grass. Ew. I agree cheerleading is athletic, but I'm sick of the female teams who go on and on about how people underestimate their smarts or ability because they pretty or cute or whatnot. Just prove it to us and quit drawing attention to your appearance -- sort of defeats the message you're trying to send.

Sad about the dancers -- they seemed genuinely nice.

Hate the homophobic mom, what a nag. If I could split up the teams, keep her son and the nicer Texan and have them join up, I'd be happy. Looking forward to seeing the last of her. The fact she couldn't remember the rules and had to nag at her son how to do a challenge shows where her head it at. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again before the race is over.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 5

I call Double Standard.

#MorningWin #IBetTheyHateRobAndBrennanToo

I call Double Standard.

I don't think Justin is either fat or ugly and even if he was that's pretty cruel to say that imho.  A person looks the way they look and shouldn't be judged by same.  I don't dislike the Texas guys cause they are "attractive" (that's always in the eye of the beholder too) but because of their assumption that as the alpha male team they are somehow entitled to win the race as a given and their hating on Justin.  And yeah if you pray, maybe pray for strength to never fall into backbiting and criticising someone endlessly.

Oh, wow, I really didn't remember it coming back that soon.  Thanks for the correction.  It seemed a lot longer than that before regular programming returned.  Maybe because in the NYC area, everyone was consumed with cleaning up, etc.  I guess I'm so mixed up with the timing as all that ever seemed to be on TV (once the stations got up & running again) were WTC events.  Also, days seemed very long for me as I was so busy collecting supplies and taking them into downtown NYC by boat.   I do remember that David Letterman was the first to appear on air on 17 Sep, 

I think I must not have watched it then because we didn't even have all of the memorials for our townsfolk by then.  Also, when I started to watch, I saw the first episode all over again.  Was it repeated as a series a little later that year of into the next year?  Or am I just more senile than I know?

I don't think they ran the whole series twice, but I vaguely remember that they reran the first episode before resuming with the second one. According to IMDb, the first episode ran on September 5 and the second on September 19. I think they might have rerun episode 1 on the 19th as well and done it as a two-hour block? I really can't remember now how they did it, but I'm pretty sure you're right that the first episode aired twice.

I don't think they repeated the first episode ever.  I remember thinking at the time why in the heck don't they?  They really needed to re-set the show to the start line again big time after 9/11.  I could be wrong of course but I think I remember others asking comments online about that too.  I guess someone could try googling TAR1.01 + air dates.

The only time I ever remember them repeating an episode already aired on TV was the first handful of episodes of TAR2.  They farmed them out to some secondary cable network -- don't remember which (one that CBS owned I think) -- to "catch" people up and trying to draw in new viewers I guess.  They showed the first two episodes as a block of 2 together without the titles or previews or anything in between too so the other network could jam in an extra commercial or two.  I know that cause I started recording (VHS back in the day) the show for the first time ever at that point taking advantage of the re-broadcasts to catch my belated tapings up to date.  They stopped after the first 5 or 6 episodes though but hey my taping was all caught up by then so I didn't care, hah.  :-)

You know if I still had my old VHS tapes I could find out what network it was too since they had their logo splashed all over the screen.  Now it's going to bug me.

• Love 1

I think the Texas guys just need to have someone to zero in on, though at least they are correct that Justin & Diana are a strong team; if you're going to target someone, it should be a team who's a threat.  Still would rather not hear about their obsession, though I assume they're being producer prompted.

This strikes me as quite astute. Many people really just need an external benchmark, so to speak, against which to push themselves. It's why one will usually push harder in a group fitness class than when one just works out by oneself. The Texans seem to have zeroed in on Justin and Diana as their closest competition, and therefore their rivals, whom they need to beat at all costs. The fact that Justin also annoys the hell out of them just cements the feud. It will be interesting to see what will happen if Justin & Diana do get eliminated. Will Team Texas switch to targeting someone else?

Denise is the worst.  Her son was being respectful and calmly explaining himself.  At least she seemed to learn a little something in the 30 min time out.

Did she, though? Didn't they basically have this conversation last week, too?

I kind of appreciated that for once, when a racer commented on being good with details, he actually backed up the claim by nailing his detail-oriented task on the first try. Too bad he then followed it up with failing to read the clue properly and having to go back for that whip...

Still on Team Reporters.

• Love 2

That is exactly what I was thinking as dog after dog started chasing the teams -- it must have been like watching shish kabob going down the street for them.  But I really wanted to give every dog a good meal.

Loved all the doggies! I felt so sad for the lame dog. I hope someone gave him at least a pat on the head.

Dogs! I wanted to make friends with every single one. Maybe I should go live in a stray dog colony instead of trying to get along with humans.

Wow, there are doggies everywhere!  At least they don't look .

I was secretly hoping the whole episode that all those doggies belong to the people at street festival and gauchos. I gave extra hard pets to our doggie, he was on streets before he spent year in shelter where we found him and adopted him. He is the cudliest ever. Hope all of the dogs we saw have someone who loves them.

• Love 2

I'm starting to dislike the teams that seems to be on the race for reality reasons. The reporters feels like one. Might have been scouted by the production. They seem to be fine racers and nice people but I keep asking myself why are they on the race? Where is the fire in their bellies.

Texasteam and Justin are certainly something that will explode later in the show. The hatred that Texas, one moreso then the other, has taken to Justin is odd. It certainly feels like there is something more then Justin being ON. For instance, normally he is someone they would just make fun off and then go home with the girls they picked up. Now they can't treat him like that and he even had the audacity to win against them. Or he reminds them of someone from their past. It's odd since Justin hasn't done anything against them except being better in one or two tasks and being loud.

Justin reminds me of Rob but there is one big difference. I see no meanness in Justin. He's like a big child who got the permission to pick what he wants in the candystore. I don't see it as mugging more then I see it as just being so happy and in the moment that he wants to interact with everything. He has been watching this for so long and as everyone keeps saying over and over again on this forum he is enjoying everything about the race. The big difference is that he's not as in tune with what the race thinks about him. I would also dance with the fiesta-girl but would probably be really sensitvie to if she didn't appreciate it. Same with the judges on tasks.

Also his partner might be even more race driven then he is. She seems very focused on what to do and probably is compensating because/to allow him to be all over the place. So fas she seems to be a very competent partner and it must feel wonderful for him that the woman he loves is so into the race and good at it.

TeamTexas might be pretty but that doesn't score any points with me. I see nothing but bullies in them so far. They should focus on running the race instead of trying to get someone out. Teams like that bore me.

The other teams haven't left much of an impression yet. The more profilic teams have left and now we are down to more standard teams. With the exception of the mother and son who isn't that entertaining and will probably blow up soon.

• Love 6

I don't see Justin being similar to Boston Rob at all. BRob was often scheming about the other teams, like making deals with bus drivers not to open the door most were hoping to disembark from, or strategizing about how to get them to take penalties. Justin is 100% focused on his own race, and I have not seen him think about what the other teams are doing or try to mess with them at all. He did want to make an alliance and not share information outside it, but not sharing info with the other teams, especially the frontrunner, I think is just sensible, and he hasn't been shown to be obsessing about them or trying that kind of thing again. He's just running his own race. I find him a little annoying sometimes, but he owns up to his own mistakes, and he clearly loves all the tasks and does not complain or blame anyone else for his problems, and he is all about his own performance, not about liking or disliking the other teams. I respect that. And for all his mistakes, his team is actually doing really well. RBob and Amber did well, too, but they relied on their fame to get local help, they obsessed about other teams instead of running their own race, and they seemed to be in it for their own glory more than because of any actual joy in the race itself. Justin maybe rough around the edges, but I get the sense that he actually is totally sincere in his excitement about the experience for its own sake.

• Love 3

From what little I've been told by a few reality show contestants, they are ALL recruited. For one reason or another. I think production might have hoped the reporters and the TMZ team would get into some sort of rivalry, but it didn't happen.

I don't see it as mugging more then I see it as just being so happy and in the moment that he wants to interact with everything. He has been watching this for so long and as everyone keeps saying over and over again on this forum he is enjoying everything about the race.

I don't see him as a guy who desperately wants to be on TAR.  I see him as a guy who desperately wants to be SEEN on TAR

• Love 7

From what little I've been told by a few reality show contestants, they are ALL recruited. For one reason or another. I think production might have hoped the reporters and the TMZ team would get into some sort of rivalry, but it didn't happen.

I would like to think that some teams still apply on their own but it wouldn't suprise me if production handpicked them all.

I don't see him as a guy who desperately wants to be on TAR.  I see him as a guy who desperately wants to be SEEN on TAR

They aren't mutally exclusive. One of the joys on being on the race is so others can see you being on the race. Both locals and us viewers, it is afterall a tv-show. So far he has been gushing over everything that has come his way and never intenially done something that would offend anyone. He just seems to want do everything he can do.

• Love 1

With both the cousins and the dancers gone, I don't care who wins now. I don't hate anyone, but no one stands out as someone I want to root for either. However, I do give the cheerleader an F for the day for referring to herself and her teammate as "little girls," as if she was being self-deprecating but really was just bragging about how cute and petite they are. And an F for Justin for general Justinness.

I'm keeping up hope that the focus will shift to some of the other teams as the field gets smaller.  I think it's natural for the producers to pick the strongest personalities early to keep viewers hooked, and with any luck it's not a sign that it's going to be the most disliked two teams in the final plus a sacrificial lamb.  I really hope it doesn't end up that way, unless there's some cosmic twist out of the blue, like the way Maya and Amy steamrolled the Dentists at the very end a couple of years ago.

At any rate, I thought they did a good job on the leg -- clearly things were set up in a way to hurt teams which were sloppy, and I liked the amount of on-foot navigation in the race.

I was also struck with the contrast to the Peru legs in the last season -- it really drove home how different Argentina and Peru are, and shows off some of the diversity of South America.

• Love 1

I was asking myself (since I can't speak to god the way the chosen can): "Why, oh, why did god pull Numpty's hamstring?" Turns out god, omnipotent & omnipresent, foresaw the venal plot he and his fellow fomented... Beware a righteous reckoning. It'll a git ya limpin'!

I don't mind something like "God, give me strength for this task" but "God has a plan for us to win" makes me hope he gets gangrene on his hamstring injury.

I didn't care for #TeamTexas, but that made me loathe them.

• Love 5