Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

How has the entire city of Port Charles not decided [Valentin] is scum of the earth? 

Because Julian also lives in Port Charles, and he's OMG TEH EVULEST EVUL WHO EVER EVULED. (In other words, Valentin has done nothing to Sonny.)

6 minutes ago, Linny said:

overall I'm still resentful that this storyline is a conduit for Sonny's pain. But I do think the compassionate and wistful vibe Sonny expressed today is a much more effective way to play this than the insensitive anger we've gotten from him previously.

Finally, MB dials back the exasperation and anger and gives Sonny a more subtle reaction to Mike's condition. But it's totally enraging that all of this is for Maurice Benard's Emmy Reel. Ugh.

Ugh, shut up and go away, Lulu. Your need for absolution isn't important.

8 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Nina is not Maxie's family

Nina is Maxie's sister-in-law. How is that not family?

I love how the package LWB/FS's book came in was so obviously some staffer's old Amazon envelope.

"How did we get an advance copy of P.J. Sinclair's novel?" "Well, we are in publishing." LOL.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Why did Lulu choose to ask Nina and Valentin of all people to check on Maxie? Maxie has parents that are good people and Lulu knows don't despise her. Why wouldn't Lulu go to Mac and/or Felicia?

Contrivance.

I hate to say it, but even Franco is less superfluous to the show at this point than Nina.

• Love 4

I thought that Spinelli was pushing too hard. Earlier in the episode Spinelli told Lulu that Maxie did not want to talk to her and Lulu should wait instead of pushing but Lulu convinced Spinelli to plead her case so he did rather too much I thought. The important person here is Maxie, not Lulu.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ulkis said:

Contrivance.

I hate to say it, but even Franco is less superfluous to the show at this point than Nina.

Most everything that happens on this show is contrivance. It was just another way for Valentin/Nina to act morally superior to Lulu and Valentin to be able to look like a good person offering his "many many connections around the world" to help Lulu find Heinrik.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Most everything that happens on this show is contrivance. It was just another way for Valentin/Nina to act morally superior to Lulu and Valentin to be able to look like a good person offering his "many many connections around the world" to help Lulu find Heinrik.

Well yes but there's contrivance that's well done and then there's the poorly done kind.

I don't think Valentin was meant to look good though. He made a snide remark to Lulu when the audience knows he is keeping secrets from Nina. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Valentin managed to make it up to Nina by fixing her horse's leg or something.

• Love 1

NuGeorgie looked so much like her aunt that I had to do a search and see for myself that she isn't related to Lindze Letherman.

I know Jason has had a few bumps on his head but it's killing me that he hasn't put together why Anna is being so protective of the son of a man she knew about the time the son would have been conceived.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

It might have been a way for Nina to act morally superior, but Valentin wants to throw Lulu off the scent of Heinrich. They're in cahoots, remember?

13 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I know Jason has had a few bumps on his head but it's killing me that he hasn't put together why Anna is being so protective of the son of a man she knew about the time the son would have been conceived.

Jason doesn't know that Anna had a kid with Faison, does he? Given the history between Anna and Faison (that Jason knows of), I can see why he doesn't make the connection. Also, Jason is thinking about how Faison and his son hurt him, not how/if Anna is involved.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

Jason doesn't know that Anna had a kid with Faison, does he? Given the history between Anna and Faison (that Jason knows of), I can see why he doesn't make the connection. Also, Jason is thinking about how Faison and his son hurt him, not how/if Anna is involved.

No, he doesn't know that Anna had a child. But he does know the mother is a mystery. I think it would be natural to have those suspicions with Anna acting so squirrely. 

Then again, I just remembered that Jason dismissed her idea of checking out boarding schools in Bern because there "must be dozens -- maybe hundreds!" C'mon, Jase.

3 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I want more Dante

I wish DZ would leave this show and get a lead role in something good,

Why is Sonny playing "lets go down memory lane" with someone who is losing his memory?

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Why is Sonny playing "lets go down memory lane" with someone who is losing his memory?

Actually older memories are often what Alzheimer's patients retain best.  My uncle could remember quite well things from the 1950's, but he didn't remember who I was because I wasn't from that era.

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Actually older memories are often what Alzheimer's patients retain best.  My uncle could remember quite well things from the 1950's, but he didn't remember who I was because I wasn't from that era.

That is what I was kind of expecting from Mike so that is why I found the scenes from today kind of weird/badly written.  Sonny "heh Mike remember so and so made us breakfast" Mike , feeling badly "no" Sonny, getting to be sympathetic "that's ok Mike no problem",  30 minutes later, Sonny "heh Mike, I need your advice, remember the guy..."  Mike sadly, "no".  Sonny, getting to be sympathetic "that's ok Mike, no problem"

seemed to me they were almost having Sonny taunt Mike with things he couldn't remember, just so Sonny got a chance to look sympathetic and supportive.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Why wouldn't Lulu go to Mac and/or Felicia?

Because Mac and Felicia are playing poker in the attic with Cashmere and Armageddon.  

2 hours ago, ulkis said:

meant in the Dirty Dodge Lovett isn't a Spencer kind of way.

Awww poor Ethan!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I thought that Spinelli was pushing too hard. Earlier in the episode Spinelli told Lulu that Maxie did not want to talk to her and Lulu should wait instead of pushing but Lulu convinced Spinelli to plead her case so he did rather too much I thought. The important person here is Maxie, not Lulu.

I agree that Maxie is the important one - something Lulu has had trouble grasping as she thinks about her own loss of Maxie's friendship.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Perkie said:

Awww poor Ethan!

I liked the lug well enough by the time he left, but I have a fondness for the nickname. Plus while I did like him I still don't really consider him Luke's son.

I think I would be open to bringing him back on the show recast. The things Frank drives me to.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

If there's a beat in the storytelling of late that I despise it's that Lulu, Girl Reporter, continues to act like a poor martyr.  All she, Girl Reporter, wanted to do was bring down the world's ~worst criminal.  Why can't everyone just understand that she, GR, is doing what she's doing both because it's her pre-ordained calling and to save the city. 

New Georgie really does look like her namesake.  I guess now that she has actual lines they wanted someone with a bit more acting chops than little Harper.  Great casting.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Blackie said:

So we're struck once again at how hard this all is for Sonny. He's the important one here, of course.

That said, I liked how MB played it when Mike said he thought Sonny (whom he didn't recognize at that moment) would like to meet his son and that they'd get along.

• Love 2

If there's a beat in the storytelling of late that I despise it's that Lulu, Girl Reporter, continues to act like a poor martyr. 

The writers have her in a cycle where there is no grey area.  FV doesn't seem to care much about the character and has spent vastly greater amounts of time trying to humanize Valentine.  When is the last time that Lulu had a positive story?  The guy who murdered her brother is somehow now considered an elder of Port Charles and Lulu's mother is off screen so some newbie male actor can play the role of a 'good' guy with bad genes.  Who cares about the Spencer family?  I won't even comment on how ridiculous it is to continue on with trying to make Michelle Stafford fit in to this soap.  Stick a fork in Nina.

Meanwhile, the writers sometimes can't really do much but wring their hands with some of the acting.  Wednesdays episode found Jason and Sam in PCPD reciting the lines "This is awful."  I had to rewind and see if the actors were talking about the coffee cups that they were holding or their relationship status.  But I will give FV props for showing that clip at the end revealing where Sam and Jason met - in the PCPD interrogation room.  Both were in jail because of and instead of Sonny Corinthos.  What a real solid foundation upon which Sam and Jason have built their lasting relationship.

Edited by sunnyface
Sonny
  • Love 3

Let me get this out of my system first: hellooooo, Dante. How you doin'? 

As Special Episodes go, this one didn't blow me away, but it was pleasant. Loved Bobbie and Maxie's talk, as well as Monica educating Michael on some of her tumultuous exploits (that's right, Michael, your grandmother is cooler than you'll ever be). Framing the episode around Mike by giving him a chance to be social and feel competent and secure was a good reason to get all the vets intermingling and reminiscing, and I'm a sucker for the really vintage flashbacks. Doesn't matter how many times I see it, that clip of Anna reuniting with Robin always gets to me.

Oh, and I can't believe the show had the guts to bring up Sonny shooting Dante. Only on a soap opera could that subject be treated as a simple regret and bygone with no hard feelings attached.

• Love 8

OK, I admit it.  I've become a casual watcher over the last few years.  Kevin was hanging out with Lucy at the party. Laura was nowhere in sight.  Where was Laura?  Is she still on the show, because it seems weird to have an anniversary without her if she is?  Did she and Kevin split up?  That was a short marriage even by soap standards, if so.

32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OK, I admit it.  I've become a casual watcher over the last few years.  Kevin was hanging out with Lucy at the party. Laura was nowhere in sight.  Where was Laura?  Is she still on the show, because it seems weird to have an anniversary without her if she is?  Did she and Kevin split up?  That was a short marriage even by soap standards, if so.

Kevin/Laura are still married as far as we know in that he is still wearing his ring but it wouldn't surprise me if they divorced them off-screen for a stupid reason if Genie doesn't return. (Backstory: Genie Francis was "demoted to recurring" and it's unclear whether she is coming back. Frank basically fired her and offered her 12 episodes a year.)

It was SO glaring that there was not one mention of Laura or flashback of her especially since this was an anniversary episode and they trotted out all the other vets.

Oh, and I can't believe the show had the guts to bring up Sonny shooting Dante. Only on a soap opera could that subject be treated as a simple regret and bygone with no hard feelings attached.

It's interesting what the show had the guts to bring up and what they didn't. Is the show going to just continue on with Jason never being told that Sonny killed AJ?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Kevin/Laura are still married as far as we know in that he is still wearing his ring but it wouldn't surprise me if they divorced them off-screen for a stupid reason if Genie doesn't return. (Backstory: Genie Francis was "demoted to recurring" and it's unclear whether she is coming back. Frank basically fired her and offered her 12 episodes a year.)

It was SO glaring that there was not one mention of Laura or flashback of her especially since this was an anniversary episode and they trotted out all the other vets.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Linny said:

Even for a soap opera, that is a bit much. Especially when Dante's partner recently got killed from an accidental-on-purpose paternal shooting lol.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 12

Putting aside my rage that the Luke's thing was a way for Sonny to pat himself on the back for Doing a Good Thing, it was nice to see all those people in one room.

Carly's dress was a horror. Lucy looked great. Olivia's dress was meh.

I love that the writers had Mike think Brenda is still with Sonny.

The BJ's heart flashback got me teary all over again. Ugh, that story was so, so good.

The flashback of Eddie Maine with a crumb catcher was terrifying.

Why are Sonny and Anna dancing together?!?!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The BJ's heart flashback got me teary all over again. Ugh, that story was so, so good.

Today I realize that "not Barbara Jean's heart" line is always going to make me cry

• Love 14

All in all, a nice episode. Loved the flashbacks except for Sonny/Robin/Stone. There was just something in MB’s delivery that was off. I thought it was recent but it seems it goes back quite a while.

some observations...

why did Dante look like an unmade bed? 

Carly’s dress was hideous.

was Michaels jacket burgundy or was that just the lighting?

no Franco!!!!! ? I mean, he absolutely shouldn’t have been there but that never stopped TIIC before.

can I have Lynn Herring’s body? Please?

i guess sequins are making a comeback because every single woman except Carly was wearing a sequined dress.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

it was nice to see all those people in one room.

I love that the writers had Mike think Brenda is still with Sonny.

It really was fabulous to see Bobbie, Kevin, Lucy, Mac, Felicia, Monica and Elizabeth interacting. It is sad that I was so thrilled to see Elizabeth chatting with adults who have known her since she was a teenager, she got to mention her grandparents' courtship, AND Franco was not by her side at the time!!  Between that and Kevin, Lucy, Mac and Felicia acknowledging their history together, I think I'm going to fall over in shock. But I felt sorry for Monica when she brought up the "moment" of realization that Jason Morgan loved her. I was underwhelmed by Jason's reaction. Anyone else would think, "hmm, maybe she deserves better from me than how I've behaved in the past." I don't for a moment believe all of his lack of attention, consideration of, and demonstration of love for his mother over many can be blamed on brain damage. 

God Bless Mike for thinking about Brenda and Sonny; he's probably the one person in Sonny's world not forced to act like his current wife is the most perfect center of the universe.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, LillyB said:

I hate the fact this turned into the all about Sonny hour.

Well, it is the all about Sonny show so....

18 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

Today I realize that "not Barbara Jean's heart" line is always going to make me cry

Every. Single. Time.  Though in my defence, I was already crying at the Anna/Robin flashback that gets me Every. Single. Time!!

11 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

There was just something in MB’s delivery that was off.

Right?   "He's dead.  Is he dead?  He's dead?"  So weird.  

13 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

why did Dante look like an unmade bed? 

Ugh, Dante looked scrumptious.  Me likey!

• Love 2

Today was so much better than the recent Nurses Ball. No unnecessary drama, just lots of heart and a nice tribute to characters (and some actors) that have passed.

BTW, that Bobbie and Felicia scene will ALWAYS make me cry.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I don't for a moment believe all of his lack of attention, consideration of, and demonstration of love for his mother over many can be blamed on brain damage. 

I think some of it was pure spite that the Qs wouldn't leave him alone after the accident. They were relentless about pressuring him to remember, even when Tony (RIP, Doc Bro-in-Law) told them to back off. Neither side showed much understanding for the other.

• Love 1

I hated that the episode was about showing what a wonderful son Sonny is, but I did like how they put in the flashbacks.  It was a clever way to showcase the 55th anniversary.  I'm liking what Chris van Etten is doing given that Frank Vs is handcuffing him.

So many of the flashbacks were great. I'd forgetting Felicia and Bobbie in "Barbara Jean's heart" but it explained why Bobbie was the one to get Maxie to come.

It was nice to have Lucy and her flashback outfits there, and Kevin and Mac in drag, but I really missed Laura.

3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

It's interesting what the show had the guts to bring up and what they didn't. Is the show going to just continue on with Jason never being told that Sonny killed AJ?

They didn't even mention that Jason helped steal Michael from AJ (who?). It was all about how wonderful it was for Carly and Jason to have Michael.

45 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think some of it was pure spite that the Qs wouldn't leave him alone after the accident. They were relentless about pressuring him to remember, even when Tony (RIP, Doc Bro-in-Law) told them to back off. Neither side showed much understanding for the other.

Those horrible Qs. Wanting him to remember too much. Of course joining Sonny was the healthier option.

• Love 5
On 3/29/2018 at 4:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

Finally, MB dials back the exasperation and anger and gives Sonny a more subtle reaction to Mike's condition. But it's totally enraging that all of this is for Maurice Benard's Emmy Reel. Ugh.

The Sonny-propping in the Michael/Dante scenes was pretty obnoxious. They made it all about him. Dante felt so bad for Sonny, because once Mike's memory was gone, there would be no one for him to reminiscence about his childhood with (wasn't that Olivia's role for about the first two years she was on?). I was going to let that one pass, but then Michael brought up some idea that Kevin had, and Dante said, wow, that would sure be great...for Sonny. Anything to give Sonny more time with Mike! 

It has to go unspoken that his grandsons might themselves like more time with him, or that, you know, Mike himself might like to have more time not being fed and turned at intervals. 

I'm on record as liking the storyline, but Thursday's scenes weren't the best case to make for it. Those are, in fact, the scenes I was dreading when it was initially spoiled.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 7
On 5/6/2017 at 5:56 PM, dubbel zout said:
On 5/6/2017 at 5:28 PM, ulkis said:

They also completely dropped Nathan's paternity, which would be one thing if they never said who it was, but all the characters think it's Victor Cassadine and we know it isn't him, so it's weird. What's funnier is no one ever brings it up (online) except once in a while.

I wonder if they'd dangle this in front of RP to get him to stay. Watch Nathan's father be Faison. Heh. He'd be horrified.

It's a little late for me to be patting myself on the back, but I'm going to do it anyway.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It's a little late for me to be patting myself on the back, but I'm going to do it anyway.

LOL.  No wonder RP decided to leave!!  Good call. 

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

So many of the flashbacks were great. I'd forgetting Felicia and Bobbie in "Barbara Jean's heart" but it explained why Bobbie was the one to get Maxie to come.

Best use of Bobbie since TG's retirement storyline. Otherwise - before and since then- for many years she's been on only to prop Carly, wave away Carly's heinous actions of the past, and most recently to be hostile to big, bad, devious (rolling my eyes) Nelle.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Best use of Bobbie since TG's retirement storyline. Otherwise - before and since then- for many years she's been on only to prop Carly, wave away Carly's heinous actions of the past, and most recently to be hostile to big, bad, devious (rolling my eyes) Nelle.

As with many characters, Bobbie SPENCER is useful only if she is supporting a Corinthos family story.  

• Love 2

I enjoyed most of the clips and that a good number of the cast was at the party, but with both the Sonny propping and getting a flashback of Geary (who also was always there in spirit since it took place at "Luke's" and the closing shot was of the sign) then not getting any Genie clips left me feeling bitter and pissed off.  That was just wrong, IMO.

Kristina Wagner is still incredibly stunning.  I also tear up a bit at "not Barbara Jean's heart" and when she collapses to the floor.

Hi Lucy!  See you in another six months or so.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 10

"Not Barbara Jean's heart" will never not make me a wreck.  Those episodes are just so incredible I don't have the words to describe them.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'd like to thank GH for including the clip of Sonny shooting Dante in cold-blood.  I had forgotten how vicious it was and how Sonny should still be in prison for it.  Fuckin' Dante and his "I accidentally shot myself" testimony.

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Didn't see today - how was the LUCY!!! of it all?  Did she and Kevin talk? 

They had a lovely scene together and another one with Mac and Felicia.

• Love 7

It was good to see the old clips but they are such a reminder of the fabulous, well-told, riveting stories we used to get as opposed to the endless circle of CarSon centered stuff that's on now. I won't watch a show where the main characters are morally reprehensible people who never learn from or pay for their transgressions. They never have any sort of epiphany thinking "that was wrong, I shouldn't have done that". It's always "oh well...".

Do better. Recognize that your audience may include a few young people who are trying to get clues on how to function in the world. Yes, I'm sure they're getting guidance at home, but media provides them with information too. As for the mature audience, we are not entertained by this core of unpleasant characters that are focused on everyday. They are annoying, to say the least, so why would anyone continue to invest time in something so rancid? Franco is unredeemable, re-cast the actor as another character. Sonny and Carly are petty dictators who should be sidelined and replaced with characters like Mac and Felicia or Kevin and Laura  who can provide roots to the past and a positive face forward. Or we can all cut ties with GH and do some more interesting things with our time. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Sake614 said:

All in all, a nice episode. Loved the flashbacks except for Sonny/Robin/Stone. There was just something in MB’s delivery that was off. I thought it was recent but it seems it goes back quite a while.

No wonder they don't show that clip often when they look back on Stone. "He dead?" 

• Love 5