Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Shouldn't that be a reverse relationship? With twice as much work at home, shouldn't the mom of 4 be expected to volunteer half as much as the mom of 2 does?

Depends on which side of the fence you're on. I'm guessing the mom of two thinks the mom of four should volunteer twice as much since she's got twice as many kids who need looking after.

Experience in my own family:

Mom of 2: The school needs another volunteer for the field trip besides me, could you do it?

Mom of 4: I have four kids, I don't volunteer.

Mom of 2: With four kids, maybe you should volunteer twice as much as I do.

I think I would have then said, "Or maybe the school doesn't need to have so many field trips."

Anyway, I agree that this one was too Sitcom-ish in the way that makes me not watch any other sitcoms. Bow could have had a moment when she lost it with the "white volunteer moms of leisure" but going off in the way she did was too much. Jack and Diane (their names are still funny!) were cute and fun, Zoe and Junior were annoying. This was my least favorite episode, although yes, calling on Black Jesus will always be funny and the remix at the end was priceless.

I always thought a lot of black women don't swim not because they can't but because it will wreck their hair.

I've personally heard the 'bone density' thing several times in my life.

I always thought a lot of black women don't swim not because they can't but because it will wreck their hair.

Sad to say, my significant other thought the same thing upon meeting me. Combine it with the regular stereotype and he was shocked when I invited him to a community pool. My response was to swim several laps in the 9 ft deep area and scream 'I'm melting' upon exiting the pool.

• Love 9

I think Rainbow largely went at the SAHM's so harshly because the way she was raised (with a strong sense of self) coupled with her intrinsic Type A personality was compounded with the fear that two of her children were sacrificing themselves on the altar of popularity for material goods.

A stance which she was taught, as a child, to abhor; yet occasionally feels guilty about, because her demanding career is something she's worked hard for and is extremely proud of, but also often keeps way too busy to stress her 'Free To Be You & Me' value system over Dre's 'Started From The Bottom' consumer based extravagance to their children.

Edited by Dee

I grew up in the 80s, and our community pool was not open to blacks. They achieved this by making it private and charging a nominal membership fee. Problem is, they only sold memberships to whites. We had a few restaurants in my city that were the same way: no blacks allowed.

Lest you think this was some backwoods, redneck town, it was a thriving suburb of Philadelphia. I finished high school in 1990, and all these places were still segregated then. I don't know about now since I left after graduation and never lived there again.

Anyway, my parents signed us up for swim classes at the YMCA, so that's how we all learned to swim. We also had to take swimming classes as part of our school curriculum, which was easy because our district had a few pools. But I can totally see why a lot of black folks can't swim: no access to pools.

• Love 2

Is it just me, or is the whole notion of kids swimming becoming less commonplace all together? I mean, when I was a kid, swimming was the.only.thing. we did all summer. Everyday, unless it rained. If there was a park, they dug a swimming hole or a pool. It just strikes me that kids have so much else to do these days, that swimming just isn't as high up on the list, and parks (public and private) are so much more paranoid about lawsuits. I hope I'm misapprehending. 

• Love 1

Is it just me, or is the whole notion of kids swimming becoming less commonplace all together? I mean, when I was a kid, swimming was the.only.thing. we did all summer. Everyday, unless it rained. If there was a park, they dug a swimming hole or a pool. It just strikes me that kids have so much else to do these days,

I'll take it a step further and say that kids doing stuff outdoors on a daily basis is becoming less commonplace. I'm not talking about organized activities -- just going out after school or on weekends and playing. Everyone's too attached to their electronics.

OMG!!!!!!

White woman checking in here: I thought the same. Blame Oprah. I distinctly remember one of her shows many years ago where she discussed having her hair done -- she was talking about straightening/relaxing -- and then if one raindrop hit it, it was all for naught. Not true, I guess?

Edited by designing1
  • Love 3

To me the black folks don't swim is right up there with black folks don't like dogs. I'd love to see the blackish take on this.

One of my favorite things about the movie Friday is his dad was a dog catcher.LOL

Britney Daniels should have been a dermatologist. THAT I would believe.

I thought this was a funny one. We have a big joke at our church about Big WHITE Jesus so help me Black Jesus is NEVER  not funny.

• Love 1

I'll take it a step further and say that kids doing stuff outdoors on a daily basis is becoming less commonplace. I'm not talking about organized activities -- just going out after school or on weekends and playing. Everyone's too attached to their electronics.

White woman checking in here: I thought the same. Blame Oprah. I distinctly remember one of her shows many years ago where she discussed having her hair done -- she was talking about straightening/relaxing -- and then if one raindrop hit it, it was all for naught. Not true, I guess?

Partially true.  If you had/have a relaxer then you stay away from getting your hair wet. You spend a million hours at the beauty salon getting your hair done and if it gets wet it does not just revert back to its style when it dries, it's a hot mess and if your next appointment isn't for another two weeks what are you going to do with your hair?  If you wear your hair naturally, without a relaxer, you may be able to be a bit more versatile and it can get wet and you can still manage it. I thought that was why Bow had her hair in a braid, so she could get in the pool.

• Love 4

Is it just me, or is the whole notion of kids swimming becoming less commonplace all together? I mean, when I was a kid, swimming was the.only.thing. we did all summer. Everyday, unless it rained. If there was a park, they dug a swimming hole or a pool. It just strikes me that kids have so much else to do these days, that swimming just isn't as high up on the list, and parks (public and private) are so much more paranoid about lawsuits. I hope I'm misapprehending. 

It's probably less commonplace as an activity for any number of reasons including the fact that parents now accompany kids to the pool instead of the kids just walking themselves and spending the whole day there like in the past.  But there's a difference in don't swim and can't swim - almost all of the high schools in my area require passing a swim exam as a requirement for graduation.  And yes I do realize that they probably wouldn't hold someone back for that, but they definitely make the kids take swimming lessons.  So there's some effort at least.

• Love 2

OMG!!!!!!

Sorry if my original post offended anyone. I didn't mean "can't" swim as in they don't know how, I meant "choose not to" swim. I've seen it in movies and on TV shows, sometimes it's jokes told by black comedians or the black women themselves refusing to go in because it will mess up their expensive hairdo.

ETA: Yes, I know comedians often use stereotypes as the basic of their jokes. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1

I live in AZ, and almost everyone I know here has a pool, so we do swim. I wear my hair natural, so the water isn't an issue, but when I used to relax it I wouldn't go near sprinklers, much less get in a damn pool, unless I was getting my hair done the next day. I think swimming is popular here because there's not much else to do when it's sweltering in the summer.

To me the black folks don't swim is right up there with black folks don't like dogs. I'd love to see the blackish take on this.

One of my favorite things about the movie Friday is his dad was a dog catcher.LOL

Wait. We don't like dogs? Boy, I'm doing this whole black thing incredibly wrong. I love to swim, and I love my dog. Black Jesus, please help me!

• Love 11

I'm from an island, and we still have the same black folks can't swim thing.  There weren't any swimming classes when I was growing up in the 80's.  Unless you had some family member who was willing to teach you, you didn't learn.  I mean, my uncles' (all of them) method of teaching you how to swim was to throw you in and tell you to swim.   The boys in the family all know how to swim, the girls don't, but that's a story for another day.    When you go to the beach, there is always a slew of folks with showercaps on.  No bathing caps, shower caps and people are dressed when they go into the water.  

I have a coworker who's like Dre.  He touches EVERY SINGLE bagel or cookie before he picks one.  Several times I've gotten a bit angry and have said: Joe, just pick one,  no need to touch them all!

• Love 2

Somewhere buried in the recesses of my mind is an episode of Designing Women. The late great Meshach Taylor (well, his character anyway) is asked by one of the ladies why black people don't swim.

His response, and I'm paraphrasing here, was that black people don't swim because there's no money in it. If you could swim your way out of the ghetto, it would have been River Jordan instead of Air Jordan. 

• Love 2

Somewhere buried in the recesses of my mind is an episode of Designing Women. The late great Meshach Taylor (well, his character anyway) is asked by one of the ladies why black people don't swim.

His response, and I'm paraphrasing here, was that black people don't swim because there's no money in it. If you could swim your way out of the ghetto, it would have been River Jordan instead of Air Jordan. 

Ha-ha. That's funny. 

Wait. We don't like dogs? Boy, I'm doing this whole black thing incredibly wrong. I love to swim, and I love my dog. Black Jesus, please help me!

I've heard --mostly from black comedians--that it isn't that black people dislike dogs. They just don't treat them like a member of the family the way white people do. And maybe I've been "whitewashed" by my friends or television, but when we got a dog last year and my husband wanted to build a dog house for him and keep him outside, I was like, "Oh, no you won't. Chico sleeps in the house." He doesn't sleep in my bed or lick my face, and I don't share my dinner with him, so I've avoided some of the stereotypes of white dog owners. 

I've heard --mostly from black comedians--that it isn't that black people dislike dogs. They just don't treat them like a member of the family the way white people do. And maybe I've been "whitewashed" by my friends or television, but when we got a dog last year and my husband wanted to build a dog house for him and keep him outside, I was like, "Oh, no you won't. Chico sleeps in the house." He doesn't sleep in my bed or lick my face, and I don't share my dinner with him, so I've avoided some of the stereotypes of white dog owners. 

I have heard comedians talk about how we don't kiss our dogs but not that we didn't like them. I can tell you with 100% candor that I would never kiss my dog on the mouth. I know their mouths are supposedly cleaner than ours, but I've seen my dog lick his own ass. I'm not kissing that.

Mine lives inside and used to sleep with me. Now he has arthritis in his leg, so it's difficult for him to get onto my bed. He has a dog bed right next to my people one.

• Love 1

When the kids ask some tough questions in the midst of a highly publicized court case involving alleged police brutality and an African-American teenager, Dre and Bow are conflicted on how best to field them. Dre, along with Pops and Ruby, feel the kids need to know what kind of world they're living in, while Bow would like to give them a more hopeful view about life. When the verdict is announced, the family handles the news in different ways while watching the community react.

Jack & Junior's stereo night terrors had me in stitches.

Kudos to Zoey for effortlessly surmounting every hurdle Dre set in her way to getting her car. She's flawless like her Mama.

Between referring to Bow as Hybrid, setting the car's radio station pre-sets to AM church music & Rickey Smiley and wondering who stole her Shalamar cd, Ruby was cracking me up this episode. Jenifer Lewis is overdue for an Emmy nomination.

It was sweet that Diane & Jack both realized they missed their special bond, even if they occasionally get on each others nerves. I did, however, howl at Diane smothering Jack with a pillow. That's why you in court mandated therapy girl!

Loved the ending montage of Dre's acceptance that his kids are still pretty good kids despite experiencing the occasional growing pains.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 12

No one's mentioned my favorite line, which was Ruby screaming something like, "Devil, compel!" while rebuking Bow.  Jenifer Lewis is a national treasure.

I usually like Ruby, but she got on my nerves a little bit this episode. I know they're playing up the gender roles for comedic value; I just don't find that funny anymore. I feel like it's been done to death.

That being said, Jennifer is definitely a national treasure. My favorite Ruby episode is the one in which she and Pops kept cursing each other out. Good times.

• Love 2

I'm black and I'm a good swimmer - I can swim a mile and am thinking of doing a triathlon this year! My parents are good swimmers too, we love the water. My brother CAN swim, but he's not great at it. My mom's mom though? Couldn't swim a stroke. She'd sit on the steps of a pool with her feet in the water, or go in the ocean up to her ankles. That's it.

There's no way Brittany Daniel was a neurosurgeon who had time to do yoga 4 days a week and attend school activities during the work day. That is not a thing.

By far my favorite part was the end, when Ruby showed up out of the blue based on mother's intuition and everybody was calling on Black Jesus. Calling on Black Jesus will always get a laugh from me.

As someone with multiple doctors most of whom work 3 days a week I totally bought it. If she were a pediatrician no but. A surgeon? She could work 3 afternoons a week. What she does is highly specialized. I did love the line "she looks happy right now."

Bows judginess wouldn't have worked if she had been a SAHM because she was feeling superior due to her education and work. She was going to scorn whatever career that woman had in a nasty way.l. She'd alreadyvstarted doing it. Not cool. What if she had been a freelance anythingk a gardener, a part time teacher? Bow does an important job that demands lots of training but it doesn't give her the right to be mean,

I did love the neighbor telling the other guests quickly to say they'd signed a release. There is racism there. And flat rudeness. It's one thing not to invite your neighbors to a graduation party, day, but if you are having regular parties, everyone, everywhere, asks the neighbors. Don't they? And of course, you don't have to swim at a pool party.

I will be honest. I didn't know that "Blacks don't know how to swim" was a stereotype or ( and pardon my ignorance) what the correct word/phrase for this is.

I'm a child of the 70s. I grew up in a predominantly African American apartment complex/community. In elementary school, we all got free swimming lessons, and all of us-Me (the only East Indian), the white, hispanic, asian and black kids went. During the summers, one of the local pools-90% black-adults and kids alike, swam.

Even in junior high, same thing. And as an adult.

So I’m roughly around the same age as Dre is, so his not knowing, ever learning? Head scratcher for sure.

I will admit, when I’m at the beach, I don’t go out too far, because, Jaws.

What?

The wonderful late Vincent Price had it right when he did a special about that movie—it wasn’t so much as making us fear the Great White, but the water itself. In my case, so very true!

Yes, I’m a wuss.

Hah I'm your age and Jaws freaked me out so much (and I was too young to see it! I sW the trailer and read the book which had some weird sexual stuff in it I did not understand at ALL because 70s novel)

I remember feeling freaked out swimming in a lake in the Adirondacks. The image of the womans leg being snapped off!

There are no sharks in lakes.

Edited by lucindabelle

I really liked this episode.  I find Ruby extremely hilarious.  She was pure Ruby last night.  I love it when Zoe has mature moments.  Her reaction to the car and Dre's mess was wonderful.

I have gone back and forth about how I feel about Diane.  Sometimes I love her and others I can't stand her.  This episode has brought it into focus.  In general, I don't like her when she is mean to her siblings.  Any other time I am fine.  I loved that Jack excelled on his own.  What I didn't understand was if it was Diane's idea to be separate why did she get to keep the room.  I would have liked to see how that decsion was made.

• Love 7

This was one of the better ways to enclose an in show commercial for a product.

Lots of laughs.

Agreed on both counts. They even made sure to include a scene shot from the back seat so we could see all the dashboard toys. I'm surprised they didn't find a reason to pop the (I'm sure roomy!) trunk. Still...one of the best, smartest sitcoms in years.

• Love 2

I know it was played for laughs, but Diane trying to kill Jack just reinforces that she is seriously mentally disturbed. She is beyond needing court mandated therapy. If her behavior isn't checked now, she is going to pose a serious threat the society, as she has all the makings of a socipath.

Ruby kills me. When she had that Facebook posting of her with the car and kept screaming about her Shalamar cd, I laughed so hard.

Bow and her not understanding that psychiatry and psychology were different things as she tried to analyze the twins was just a mess.

I'm glad the show finally addressed that Jack and Diane issue. I always assumed the kids were named for that song, which I found troubling based in the content. Leave it to Bow to think that made sense -- hints of where Diane's crazy came from, I think so.

• Love 5

I love that instead of being a brat and having a temper tantrum, Zoey learned all the things on Dre's list. Dre's reasoning behind all these tasks may have been silly (because, come on, if high school students want to have sex, they are going to have sex regardless of whether they have their own car to do it in), but knowing how to change a tire, check the oil, etc. are things that EVERY driver should know. You can't assume that someone will be there to do it for you. If you're driving by yourself in the middle of nowhere at night  in an area with no cell reception and you get a flat tire, you are going to have to change that tire yourself. Wanting her to learn a million languages in case she needs to ask for help was a little overboard, but hey, she learned more than one language which is never a bad thing!

• Love 8
If you're driving by yourself in the middle of nowhere at night  in an area with no cell reception and you get a flat tire, you are going to have to change that tire yourself.

Eh, just do what I do -- drive on the rims. :)

• Love 8

I'm going to dissent from the majority opinions here and say I did not care for this one.

I was cringing way too much for my comfort level. I hated seeing Jack treated the way he was, including being relegated to sleeping in Junior's closet. I also didn't like the way they treated Junior. I don't find the idea that Dre doesn't like him amusing. And why would Jack have to move out of the room instead Diane having to move? I didn't understand that.

I also hated the Buick commercial that ran throughout the episode, although it does look like a nice car. I think Angie Tribeca did the commercial-within-a-show much better.

Dre straight up got on my nerves. I know he's always over the top, but he was such a dick about that car with Zoe. And then to let his mom have it? 

Bow did amuse me, so there's that.

Where was Pops?

• Love 9

The kid who plays Jack is really a good actor. When Jack became popular, he was the same kid, but just slightly more mature and a little bit less adorable. It was subtle but believable and reminded me of when I see the kids of friends who I haven't seen in a little while. I'm always like, "aw, why you have to grow up? Stay seven!"

Ruby's Shalamar CD, hee.

• Love 6

White person who grew up in a mostly black area in the 80's, now lives in a diverse suburb and has a black son -
The hair thing with black women and girls was very true in the 80's when relaxers were more standard. The girls were always yelling at the boys not to mess up their hair in the pool. I didn't know the stereotype about not being able to swim until I was an adult, as there were plenty of black people at the pool we went to, although it was a pool that was forced to integrate and white people started leaving it. As natural (not chemically straightened) hair is more popular these days, the "don't get my hair wet" thing isn't as prevalent.
I have noticed that when we're at a pool, sometimes lifeguards question my son if he can swim when he gets in the deep end and don't question white children of the same age. So, I wonder if that's based on the stereotype.

I don't think that Dre doesn't like Junior. I just think he doesn't get Junior a lot of the time, which puts him roughly in the same boat with Zoey, who doesn't even like to be seen at school with her geeky little brother.

Dre has shown to be into status symbols like clothes and fancy cars, which is why he and Zoey get along so well.

But when Dre wants to impart sage advice or important cultural nuances to one of the kids, Junior is usually the one he goes to the greatest lengths to connect with. Not just because Zoey is more independent and/or the twins are too young, but because he wants to share a stronger bond with his oldest son. The kind he feels was lacking between he & Earl, growing up.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3
Wanting her to learn a million languages in case she needs to ask for help was a little overboard, but hey, she learned more than one language which is never a bad thing!

She is now ready to ride cabs in LA! She'll probably have to, too, because Dre is not going to stay rational for long. Honestly, Zoey should just tell him to take the keys and shove them (in a polite and dignified manner, of course).

I hated seeing Jack treated the way he was, including being relegated to sleeping in Junior's closet.

On the plus side, he got in good with Pacino's grandson. Might come in handy for Jack's planned future career in showbiz, no?

Was it me or was Wanda Sykes actually acting in this episode? Maybe it's just that she wasn't simply reacting to things happening around her but had her own hint of a backstory when she cautioned Dre about the car being very useful for meth production (yay for product placement, right?) and right after that decided to get one for herself. I liked how random that was. 

• Love 2

I wouldn't say I loved this episode, but I did like it.

What did I like? 

1.  That Jack was accepted with the Cool Kids, while Dianne was stuck with the Dorks! She so deserved that. And I officially hate her now.  She didn't want to go back to being twins because she missed Jack; no, it was because she lost to him--meaning, instead of her being the Queen Bee and the Cool One, she ended up being the dork. Though to be fair (because I do so try to be), she sort of missed his "And THEN..." way of telling a story.

2. That Zoey went off on Dre in Farsi. Loved those bits.

That's all I got.

Though I do believe, that after Dre saw that Zoey had gone to the libary (that's how it sounded to me!), Dre returned the gift of the car back to Zoey. He put the keys on her night stand so she would see it in the morning.

DISLIKE: The continued way that Bow is put in situations where her smarts should be obvious, but made to look like an idiot/clueless.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

Was it really so awful that one of the kids was tired of sharing a room with an opposite-sex sibling? I'd think Bow would have welcomed the chance to tell Ruby that one of the twins was taking over the guest room. (I doubt Monster-in-Law is crashing on the couch.)

And shouldn't someone explain why Ruby is underfoot all the time? If Dre let her move in, that should be grounds for divorce.

I did like smart and capable Zoey.

• Love 4

"All my AM church stations AND my Ricky Smiley!" 

Ah, I was wondering what she said. Thanks. (I googled Rickey Smiley.)

Jack has always been my favorite, so it's good to see him more of him AND in a different environment. I really hope that as Miles Brown grows up he retains his charm and talent.

I was laughing right at the beginning when Dre was narrating and said, "Twins: Nature's weirdos."

I loved how Ruby turned off the car key fob panic button.

The bit about Zoe juggling danish while learning Mandarin/juggling mandarins while learning Danish was cute and clever. I loved that Zoe handled all of Dre's challenges expertly. 

I liked the little exchange when Bow tells the twins that Jack & Diane in the song are boyfriend and girlfriend -- 

Jack: This feels right to you?

Diane: Wait a second, I say that!

Jack: Not any more… friend.

Diane helping him out by getting nails out of his sandwiches was great.

Ruby: Somebody stole my Buick! Call the police! But before they come, you make sure they know a black man owns this house.

I didn't understand in the montage at the end why Junior put an Open House sign on the door. 

• Love 6

I didn't understand in the montage at the end why Junior put an Open House sign on the door. 

Since Jack moved out, he was willing to rent his closet to another tenant.

Lots of funny moments in this episode.

2. That Zoey went off on Dre in Farsi. Loved those bits.

So that was the language. Yara Shahidi is half-Iranian, so I'm glad they got that in there. And I like that she pronounced Tehran correctly.

A few things I didn't like:

I don't think that Dre doesn't like Junior. I just think he doesn't get Junior a lot of the time, which puts him roughly in the same boat with Zoey, who doesn't even like to be seen at school with her geeky little brother.

Yes, but older siblings are supposed to find their younger brothers geeky and annoying. Parents are not. At least, they're not supposed to treat their children with open disgust, which Dre does in almost every episode.

I hate Ruby. Every episode with her just makes me hate her all the more. I just can't with her anymore.

Ruby is hilarious, but her schtick gets old and annoying really fast. Dre's also. In fact, can the two of them run off somewhere together and leave Pops, Bow, and the kids behind?

DISLIKE: The continued way that Bow is put in situations where her smarts should be obvious, but made to look like an idiot/clueless.

This! Bow is smart, and I don't know why the show won't let her be intelligent. And there's no way a physician wouldn't know the difference between psychiatry and psychology. Even surgeons have to call for psychiatry consultations on patients. I understand Bow not remembering the details of the psychiatry she learned in med school--that part was funny. But her not knowing the difference between psychiatry (a medical field) and psychology (a social science) was unrealistic. Only in sit-com land.

• Love 6

I did love the neighbor telling the other guests quickly to say they'd signed a release. There is racism there. And flat rudeness. It's one thing not to invite your neighbors to a graduation party, day, but if you are having regular parties, everyone, everywhere, asks the neighbors. Don't they?

Why is it racist that she never invited them? Janine gave multiple reasons and examples of why she believed Dre didn't like her. If I thought someone didn't like me, why would I invite them to my parties, even if I had one every week? Dre's an asshole and he isn't shy about letting people know when he doesn't like them.

Why is it racist that she never invited them? Janine gave multiple reasons and examples of why she believed Dre didn't like her. If I thought someone didn't like me, why would I invite them to my parties, even if I had one every week? Dre's an asshole and he isn't shy about letting people know when he doesn't like them.

I think it was racist to make only the black guests sign a release. I get it that the two families don't really like each other (they both said as much), but Janine should have invited them once just to be polite. It's like eating a meal in front of someone without offering them a piece or a bite.

• Love 1

I think it was racist to make only the black guests sign a release. I get it that the two families don't really like each other (they both said as much), but Janine should have invited them once just to be polite. It's like eating a meal in front of someone without offering them a piece or a bite.

Being polite is inviting your bitch of an aunt or your drunk uncle to your wedding to keep peace in your family. It's not being obligated to invite your asshole neighbor to your party.
  • Love 1

I only meant the racism was on the release. She lied to him about that to try to get him not to go. But I think if you're inconveniencing your block every weekend then yes, you do have an obligation to make a pro forma invitation to the neighbors, that's why I said not for a one off part but it's clear from the show she's holding this party every single weekend. She has the nerve to go over and ask about parking and not also invite them? Whatever her reasons for not asking them before, that's betind bitchy. She's badically inviting neighboring families to complain, again, it would. E one thing if it were one individual party and you needed parking and didn't invite them. But if you're doing this thing every single weekend all summer long it's a little much.