Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Wrestling with Adoption

• Start Topic

There was one scene, perhaps when Sobbyn and Kody were discussing making a new baby after Sol's haircut, where you could see the relationship between then AND NO OTHER WIFE HAS THAT WITH HIM.  They are clearly "a couple" and I'm pretty convinced the adoption story was a ruse to get Meri to divorce him so they could have the "legal" marriage.  

• Love 20

There was one scene, perhaps when Sobbyn and Kody were discussing making a new baby after Sol's haircut, where you could see the relationship between then AND NO OTHER WIFE HAS THAT WITH HIM.  They are clearly "a couple" and I'm pretty convinced the adoption story was a ruse to get Meri to divorce him so they could have the "legal" marriage.  

Bingo.  Before Robyn gets too smug about having all of King Kody's attention, she should be aware that the day will come when she's on the wrong side of 40 and her ass no longer fills out those jeans so nicely anymore.  When Kody's eye starts to wander again, she'll get a taste of her own medicine.  If she has any questions or needs some support when that happens, she can look to Janelle, Christine, and Meri to shed some light on the matter.

• Love 5

The real reasons for the divorce/remarriage were 1) because Robyn/Kody wanted it and 2) for a plot device.  Yeah, I know that presumably the divorce was kept a big secret until it was leaked.  I figure that was all staged anyway to bring the ratings up for the end of the last season when they were going down the toilet quickly.

This is the way I figure the Browns do stuff.  They have something they want to do - like say move to Vegas, get divorced/married again, take a trip somewhere, get preggers again, whatever.  They're doing these things because they want to, and/or for plot devices, but they have to make up some half-ass reason why they're doing it other than saying "it's for the show". 

Kody might be arrested (first time in how many years someone was arrested just for polygamy in Utah?) - so let's move to Vegas on TLC's dime (whoops - Janelle let it slip in an interview shortly thereafter that they moved there because Kody's always wanted to live in Vegas!)

Kody didn't want to be married to Meri anymore, so he made her get a divorce for the show and so he could remarry Robyn.  Quick let's think of a reason other than "I don't love you anymore" or "we're doing it for ratings" - ummm adopting the kids.  Yup people will buy that. 

Robyn won't get preggers until Kody allows her to bring Sol to get a haircut.  omg.

of course there are the fanatics who believe anything that comes out of these people's mouths as truth, then there are the snarkers like us who know it's complete and utter bullshit for ratings.  But either way TLC wins because both sides view the show.  Except people like me, who have long since learned that one can enjoy the commentary without wasting an hour or two of life on these bozos.

Bingo.  Before Robyn gets too smug about having all of King Kody's attention, she should be aware that the day will come when she's on the wrong side of 40 and her ass no longer fills out those jeans so nicely anymore.  When Kody's eye starts to wander again, she'll get a taste of her own medicine.  If she has any questions or needs some support when that happens, she can look to Janelle, Christine, and Meri to shed some light on the matter.

Kody's not exactly Mr. Studly Wannabe Surfer Dude anymore.  What woman would have him?  ew.

• Love 6

I just want to serve Kody and Robyn such big bowl of SHUT UP.

I especially wanted to hit Robyn when she was trying to work the little kids into hysteria.  "Maddy will no longer be in our church."  Other kids: mostly crickets.  "okay."  "Don't you GET IT?  MADDY WILL NO LONGER BE IN YOUR CHURCH!"  God, the woman just kept repeating it.  

How in the world do the Brown kids honestly seem to be just so together and nice?  I like them.  

• Love 7

If Jessop does not sign away his parental rights, what are the chances that this adoption can actually go through?   It's confusing...two states, dad owes child support but is avoiding the legal notification service.  I mean does anyone here have the knowledge/experience/background to give some kind of answer?

• Love 1

There was so much to snark on in this episode, and this is seemingly small... But the whole "traumatizing Kody" by cutting sol's hair is absolutely ridiculous... TRAUMATIZED!? And just my 2 cents... Kody needs to let it go... He no longer has long luxurious hair, the stringy ponytail that starts halfway back in his head looks silly.

• Love 1

If Jessop does not sign away his parental rights, what are the chances that this adoption can actually go through?   It's confusing...two states, dad owes child support but is avoiding the legal notification service.  I mean does anyone here have the knowledge/experience/background to give some kind of answer?

Here's what I don't get - the parents I know who pay child support have it garnished from their wages by the state and then it's distributed to the custodial parent.  I thought that was standard operating procedure these days?

• Love 1

Here's what I don't get - the parents I know who pay child support have it garnished from their wages by the state and then it's distributed to the custodial parent.  I thought that was standard operating procedure these days?

That's been SOP for several years now, but if the parent doesn't have a job or gets paid cash under the table, it can be difficult to get money out of them.  I wish we knew more about David Jessop's circumstances.  The footage we're seeing is from a year ago.  I've read articles about how he's living off-the-grid in Montana, but who knows?

• Love 1

I was gobsmacked at this exchange about having another baby. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when jealous Christine saw it. How old is Christine? Has she ever said anything about wanting another baby? I'm sure Meri wouldn't be too thrilled to see it either since she got shot down by Kody about trying to have another baby. I'm assuming Janelle at her age is probably not wanting any more kids. Also, Kody balking at kissing Janelle at the end of her "very special episode." He asked if he'd ever kissed the other wives onscreen. Um, Robin, all the time.

When Christine was pregnant with Truley, she said that would be her last child. I'm sure she's not thrilled anyway.

Edited because my silly phone seems to think "Truley" is not a word. (PS it's not.)

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • Love 2

Robyn's discussion with the children should not have been televised, should not have included Kody, and shouldn't happen at all unless their father has actually deserted them. I never feel Robyn is sincere about anything  and I feel strongly she is using her children to get a one up on the other wives. There is really no reason for her to be thinking about her dying at such a young age (and yes I know people often have wills and guardianship plans but they should be discussed with the kids dad), and her so called worry about the kids if she dies seems like just another way to get Kody to marry her.

Kody should just come out and admit he really is only interested in Robyn and let the other women free. Christine would freak out but Meri and Janelle would probably be just fine. Being married to a man who doesn't love you destroys your soul.

As for the kids, they should talk with a counselor to see how they feel without having Robyn or Kody around. Maybe they don't see their Dad enough to care, maybe they don't want to say he is no longer their Dad. You can't tell their feelings by putting them on the spot like that on TV.

Kody and Christine are taking a therapist along on a romantic vacation? OK, then.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 6

I found it interesting when Gwendolyn was staying behind on the wrestling trip and going to stay Robyn's they told her to be respectful. Kind of sounded like she was going to a sleep over not her other mother's house. They keep telling us they are one big family but are they really?

• Love 2

Anyone catch when Kody came in and Robyn said we have to talk and he immediately brought up sol hair.   Then he said something like, we are just so connected.

It is SOOO obvious to me that he and Robyn and madly in love, still in the honeymoon phase, and he considers her his real wife. You can tell by the way they look at each other.  These other wives have to be fuming behind the scenes.   

• Love 11

Anyone catch when Kody came in and Robyn said we have to talk and he immediately brought up sol hair. Then he said something like, we are just so connected.

It is SOOO obvious to me that he and Robyn and madly in love, still in the honeymoon phase, and he considers her his real wife. You can tell by the way they look at each other. These other wives have to be fuming behind the scenes.

Yes I agree! The gleam in her eyes! They remind me of two teenagers. He was so on board with Robyn having a baby and was not nearly as gentle with Mary when she brought up her baby desires. I wonder if that's weird when they announce to the other sisterwives like "hey we're gonna be baby making!"

• Love 5

As usual when they show 'flashbacks' everyone seemed content, until black cloud Robyn and her 'romance' with Kody.  We don't see any romantic moments, or looks between any couple other than Robyn and Kody.  The rest get a chaste kiss every now and then.   I wonder if it was always like this... I would guess not since Jenelle and Christine both have 5 or 6 kids with the man.  Although the rest have been married 17+ years... and Kody has no reason to have to be romantic towards them, when he has his little VIctoria Secret wearing Robyn.

Meri and Jenlle both seem to have a comfortable frienship with Kody, at least... poor Christine can't seem to get more than him huffing and her, and complaining about PMS.

Taking a trip with your therapist?!  OH boy.  Christine... what a mess.

It drove me nuts how once again the show pretends that Jenelle wasn't married to Meri's brother.  In one shot, you see a photo of her with Kody and Meri on their wedding day, and a man's hand is clearly around Jenelle's waist, and that man is cut out of the photo.  

• Love 5

As for the kids, they should talk with a counselor to see how they feel without having Robyn or Kody around. Maybe they don't see their Dad enough to care, maybe they don't want to say he is no longer their Dad. You can't tell their feelings by putting them on the spot like that on TV.

I don't want to be condescending to them -- I don't mean this as , oh they're kids..., but rather-- given that they've been raised to believe you can have a hundred million mommies (and, unlike the rest of the Brown kids, they even probably believe that, as The Brown Brown Robin Goes Sob Sob Sob Sobbin in her Real Sisterwvies of Las Vegas VO Opening Credit, "It Seems Like Destiny (or, Dehztinnee, had this Destiny chick been Kristine's kid, instead)... and BrownBrownRobin counts as much as an equal mommy as the three with 20+ years seniority ....

And , we know KODY thinks it's "VULGAR" and all because, well, we don't know but and Kody probably doesn't either but ew cooties, for there to be TWO OR MORE DADDIES included in this shit show. But... here we are, worrying about what the machinations of the Brown BrownRobin will do to these kids, because, of course, we are thinking that when these lunatics ask these kids if they "want" Kody to adopt them, THEREFORE OF COURSE LOGICALLY AND INHERENTLY cutting out [and ::Manly Kody voice:: GOING TO WAR stupidfuckingcaetooncharacyerprick], but, uh, maybe the, um SNL-sketch-esque Overly Enthusiastic About Everything Preteen is doing what, in fact KODY'S errr REAL SISTERWIFE INTRO VO advises and assumes that, well, LOVE SHOULD BE MULTIPLIED AND NOT DIVIDED?! I actually don't mean this to be snarky (in fact, it could be totally heartbreaking), why WOULD they necessarily think Kody's adopting them means "replacing" their dad, rather than giving them a second one? (I mean, except for its obvious VULGARITIES AND ALL.... ;-) ).

Kody and Christine are taking a therapist along on a romantic vacation? OK, then.

Maybe she's auditioning? Or Christine wasn't kidding about not "just" wanting the man?

If polygamy is so darn  great why are these women always crying to pretending to cry?  I predict that because of the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage, polygamy will eventually be legal.  You can't redefine traditional marriage and stop with gays.  Then where will the Browns be?  They will no longer be unusual.  One less thing for them to weep about.

The last thing in the world polygamists, especially the Browns, want is to be legal. Financially it would be a real blow to suddenly be married to each other rather than a bunch of single women with a ton of kids.

• Love 3

Kody's not exactly Mr. Studly Wannabe Surfer Dude anymore.  What woman would have him?  ew.

It doesn't matter, there will always be someone to throw themselves at him because they consider him a "celebrity".  Even famous murderers have their groupies and wives!  But, I doubt Sobbyn will ever fall for any "reason" for getting a divorce and letting him officially marry another wife like Meri did.

• Love 2

The last thing in the world polygamists, especially the Browns, want is to be legal. Financially it would be a real blow to suddenly be married to each other rather than a bunch of single women with a ton of kids.

Never thought of it that way.  Good point, but I still think they will go for legality.

Can someone clarify something for me, I admit I don't try that hard to keep Robyn's girls straight... I guess I could just google, but I'm confused, I always thought that out of Robyn's girls the one that was generally over the top and the one always there in the middle of everything is Breanna, I always thought she was the older one, but then last night Aurora is the one who lept into Kody's arms, so she's the older one? But am I right that Brianna is normally the one who tends to inserts herself in every situation(like being one of the first to enter janelles home when they first moved in). I'm questioning myself now that all this time I thought to was Brianna, but maybe it was really Aurora.

And unrelated, did it annoy anyone else throughout all of that bs of who was going to the wrestling competition; am I right that with Gwendolyn opting out that was 7 people? (Because with the how many cars debacle they kept saying 8 people, and that was before Gwendolyn opted out), then when they are driving off they showed just Logan and Kody in his car, and 5 people crammed in Christine's. Granted I can see why I would much rather ride with Christine, but I just think it kinda speaks volumes to the whole situation that keeps coming up about Kody's effort with the girls.

Speaking of which (this is getting way longer than I intended... Sorry!) funny how Robyn is so concerned how Kody relates to the girls now that her girls are of the age he kinda quits trying.

• Love 2

Their "church" is going to remain as murky and unintelligible as possible because they DO NOT want a lot of people looking into the AUB, so they are going to try to make it as confusing and glossed-over as possible.  As it is, whenever someone tries to tell the truth about these jackwads on FB, all of the "fans" (most of which I surmise are either fake accounts or bought and paid for) freak out and say that the poster is a vicious liar, or a hater, or whatever.  It's infuriating that so many of those FB fans are so willfully ignorant.  

Robyn's girls make me cringe.  The older one seems especially "affectionate" with Kody and it seems like the younger one is pretty much the same.  And now I really want to know why Robyn didn't want Gwendlyn (Gwindlyn? Gwendlin?) to stay with her.  Some kind of inside story there?  

Also, was that Robyn's nanny who cut Sol's hair?  I only caught a glimpse of her -- or, rather, a glimpse of her copious cleavage.  She must not attend the church of "Kody's United Brethren (KUB)". 

• Love 1

I think Robin's girls want to fit in, so they cling to Kody, wanting to be considered the same as the other children.  Dayton or David as Kody referred to him, seems so sweet and respectful.  I think he may have had a hard time fitting in with Janelle and Christine's boys in the beginning and now is just along for the ride.  I wish him the best of everything including a decent father figure.

Edited by LucyEth
  • Love 3

Romance fades, especially when you live in a culture where a man can move on whenever he feels like it. Monogamous men have to face divorce, splitting of assets, living apart from their children, etc. Polygamist men just add a wife with no repercussions. Robyn will eventually feel the pain that Christine is feeling now.

and Meri feels.  I've been thinking about this.  Since the connection between Sobbyn and Kody is so evident to US, what must it be like in real life?  Meri had ONLY the "legal" marriage going for her.  Stupid woman (unless she intends to run far away) gave up the one thing that was important.  There's no way it was for adoption, so laughable.  Was it to try to get in Kody's good graces?  Or....she just couldn't stand it anymore?  

• Love 1

Thsi show gets crazier and crazier by the week!

I felt that this show got a heavy edit, trying to show the Browns in a more positive light. Didn't work though because they are so crazy that no edit will help them.

The whole divorce thing is so odd. The Christmas trees tell us that it was all complete fakery. Total lies, right? The divorce was in september 2014 and they are talking in December 2014?  

Christine has stated that she does not want more kids.  Apparently she had a very serious miscarriage and did not want to try again etc. She said she bled out and then passed out in the bathroom etc. 

• Love 3

On a shallow note, I don't get why Kody is so infatuated with Robin. Aside from her pretty hair,  she has the face of an old lady. 

I think Christine's hair is actually much nicer.  And Robyn's face looks like a voodoo witch started the process of shrinking her head and stopped halfway ... leaving a weird, wrinkly effect. 

• Love 5

And unrelated, did it annoy anyone else throughout all of that bs of who was going to the wrestling competition; am I right that with Gwendolyn opting out that was 7 people? (Because with the how many cars debacle they kept saying 8 people, and that was before Gwendolyn opted out), then when they are driving off they showed just Logan and Kody in his car, and 5 people crammed in Christine's.

I could not for the life of me figure out how this was a better plan than using a VAN.  More wasteful ways.

• Love 1

and Meri feels.  I've been thinking about this.  Since the connection between Sobbyn and Kody is so evident to US, what must it be like in real life?  Meri had ONLY the "legal" marriage going for her.  Stupid woman (unless she intends to run far away) gave up the one thing that was important.  There's no way it was for adoption, so laughable.  Was it to try to get in Kody's good graces?  Or....she just couldn't stand it anymore?  

I think it was a grand gesture of martyrdom calculated to keep her relevant to Kody--same reason she spearheaded helping Robyn in as 5th wife. The irony, of course, is that her grand gestures backfire and make her less valuable and less important, and Kody's appreciation is perfunctory at best.

Thsi show gets crazier and crazier by the week!

I felt that this show got a heavy edit, trying to show the Browns in a more positive light. Didn't work though because they are so crazy that no edit will help them.

The whole divorce thing is so odd. The Christmas trees tell us that it was all complete fakery. Total lies, right? The divorce was in september 2014 and they are talking in December 2014?  

Christine has stated that she does not want more kids.  Apparently she had a very serious miscarriage and did not want to try again etc. She said she bled out and then passed out in the bathroom etc. 

IIRC, that life-risking miscarriage happened before she got pregnant with Truely--I remember hearing Janelle expressing that she was very surprised when Christine got pregnant again after such a close call.

• Love 2

Can someone clarify something for me, I admit I don't try that hard to keep Robyn's girls straight... I guess I could just google, but I'm confused, I always thought that out of Robyn's girls the one that was generally over the top and the one always there in the middle of everything is Breanna, I always thought she was the older one, but then last night Aurora is the one who lept into Kody's arms, so she's the older one? But am I right that Brianna is normally the one who tends to inserts herself in every situation(like being one of the first to enter janelles home when they first moved in). I'm questioning myself now that all this time I thought to was Brianna, but maybe it was really Aurora.

And unrelated, did it annoy anyone else throughout all of that bs of who was going to the wrestling competition; am I right that with Gwendolyn opting out that was 7 people? (Because with the how many cars debacle they kept saying 8 people, and that was before Gwendolyn opted out), then when they are driving off they showed just Logan and Kody in his car, and 5 people crammed in Christine's. Granted I can see why I would much rather ride with Christine, but I just think it kinda speaks volumes to the whole situation that keeps coming up about Kody's effort with the girls.

Speaking of which (this is getting way longer than I intended... Sorry!) funny how Robyn is so concerned how Kody relates to the girls now that her girls are of the age he kinda quits trying.

Yeah watching that douche driving in his brand new convertible with the males made me sick for sure. While i highly doubt that man could do anything without me hating him more, that scene really pissed me off. HOW does that ass afford all this shit? CARS, HOUSES, TRIPS??
  • Love 4

Yeah watching that douche driving in his brand new convertible with the males made me sick for sure. While i highly doubt that man could do anything without me hating him more, that scene really pissed me off. HOW does that ass afford all this shit? CARS, HOUSES, TRIPS??

Interest only mortgages. Car leases. Trips in exchange for appearances or on sponsored through promotion on TLC.

They will lose everything within the next 12 months, especially the houses -- as the 3-year interest only mortgages are coming due.

• Love 4

Even though Christine and Janelle are done with the babymaking, Robyn is still behind.  After she pops this one out of the oven, she still has to come through wth another one so that she has her six.  And to really cap off her desire for superiority she ought to come through with a seventh, although time is running out for her.

Will Kody be satisfied with 19 kids?  Although if the adoption fails, I guess his planet will only have 16 kids. 

The most interesting thing about this epi to me was that the kids have no idea what 'church' they belong to.

It looked to me as if the scene where Robyn and Kody asked the kids if they wanted to be adopted was reinacted for the cameras. Early on when Robyn's one daughter (sorry can't remember their names) opened her mouth wide like this was supposed to be some surprise, then she asked Meri if she was alright because apparently Meri looked upset. The kid's reaction was not one of someone wondering if her fake mommy was upset. It was like she screwed up her line and didn't have the correct facial expression to go along with it.

Maybe this has been answered but I don't understand this whole adoption thing when the kids bio dad has given no reason to think he will give up custody. Surely his rights as their father cannot be taken away simply due to possibly not paying child support. I know one person who gave up rights to his child, and another whose 2nd hubby adopted her child. In both cases the bio dad signed away rights to the kid. It had nothing to do with the court saying he didn't pay child support so he lost his rights to the child. In the case of my friend her 1st hubby agreed to give up rights in exchange for not having to pay suppport. But had he wanted he could have both not paid child support and let her continue to pursue him, and not give up rights to his kid.

What I would dearly love is for Janelle or Christine to dump Kody, find another guy, and then tell Kody that the new guy wants to adopt his kids. Oh ya, and that he will go to war to do so.

• Love 4

Maybe this has been answered but I don't understand this whole adoption thing when the kids bio dad has given no reason to think he will give up custody. 

I think the time to worry is when anything these people do is understandable to you in a logical framework.  Adopting the kids is like the houses- they WANT them, so GOD must want it for them, so it will happen.  Reality doesn't have a lot of bearing on what they do.

• Love 9

IIRC, that life-risking miscarriage happened before she got pregnant with Truely--I remember hearing Janelle expressing that she was very surprised when Christine got pregnant again after such a close call.

Yeah, i think you might be right.

Well, something about Christine, a serious miscarriage and her stating no more kids.

Doesn't really matter what these Brown Clowns say because it's probably a lie or drama at the moment which means nothing.

If you ask Kody, she probably had PMS when she said that so who cares anyway!  

Totally agree. Meri is really trying to stay relevant in the Brown's Universe. Maybe meri is one who likes to play the victim and the martyr?  This divorce got her an entire episode and most likely kept the show on the air for one more season.  She is the hero! 

And who decides to have another baby because your child got a haircut?  Whoa...bad edit going on there. That looked so silly. A religious discussion would've been more interesting or a financial one.  They did touch on Sol growing up etc but the edit was not good. 

Sol haircut = time for another baby

I actually like this show...I find them so amusing and wacky. Kinda like extended family that you just laugh at when you get in the car.

This show actually could be decent if they stopped lying. I guess they lie so much to themselves to stay in this miserable marriage claiming that it's wonderful that lying to the viewers feels really OK to them. 

• Love 1

What I would dearly love is for Janelle or Christine to dump Kody, find another guy, and then tell Kody that the new guy wants to adopt his kids. Oh ya, and that he will go to war to do so.

Now that would be fun to watch!

• Love 4

Will Kody be satisfied with 19 kids?  Although if the adoption fails, I guess his planet will only have 16 kids. 

But here's the thing with that...they were all so adamant that legality does not matter for them in terms of family structure and Meri especially kept talking about how only her spiritual marriage matters and is for eternity; so going along that vein, shouldn't legal adoption of those kids have no bearing on whether Robyn's oldest three end up on Kody's planet or whatever the afterlife thing is for them? 

• Love 1
Shouldn't legal adoption of those kids have no bearing on whether Robyn's oldest three end up on Kody's planet or whatever the afterlife thing is for them?

I would wager all of my earnings that even a Mormon scholar could not possibly explain this whole thing with any clarity.  It's so goofy to begin with but throw in all of the vagaries of modern marriage/divorce/adoptions and there is no way in hell this stuff can be mapped out.  And since the Brown Clowns make it up as they go along....

• Love 2
I think it was a grand gesture of martyrdom calculated to keep her relevant to Kody--same reason she spearheaded helping Robyn in as 5th wife. The irony, of course, is that her grand gestures backfire and make her less valuable and less important, and Kody's appreciation is perfunctory at best.

I think you are spot on. While Robyn and Kodouche weren't going to complain, I firmly believe it was Meri who concocted this idea - to make herself appear this noble, self-sacrificing saint of a woman. 

Yeah watching that douche driving in his brand new convertible with the males made me sick for sure. While i highly doubt that man could do anything without me hating him more, that scene really pissed me off.

Especially after he's been moaning all episode about realizing he dropped the ball on spending time with his eldest daughters. So why couldn't one of the girls ride with him? He's so ignorant in thinking he can connect more to the boys because - sports! cars! As if girls can never be interested in those things. And he sure seems to spend a lot of time on his hair. Which one of his sons will connect with him over that? 

Will Kody be satisfied with 19 kids?  Although if the adoption fails, I guess his planet will only have 16 kids.

The planet thing confuses the hell out of me. What happens when your kids get married? Wouldn't they go to their own husband's planets? Are there highways connecting to two? 

• Love 4

I think you are spot on. While Robyn and Kodouche weren't going to complain, I firmly believe it was Meri who concocted this idea - to make herself appear this noble, self-sacrificing saint of a woman. 

I think so too, especially after reading the big explanation Meri posted on Twitter about how she was absolutely not put up to doing the divorce.  However I still find it hard to believe that Robyn and/or Kody didn't at least plant the idea somehow indirectly. I just don't see Meri coming up with the idea out of the blue. 

• Love 3
I think so too, especially after reading the big explanation Meri posted on Twitter about how she was absolutely not put up to doing the divorce.  However I still find it hard to believe that Robyn and/or Kody didn't at least plant the idea somehow indirectly. I just don't see Meri coming up with the idea out of the blue.

No, I don't think she did either. I'm sure Kody and Robyn sat around bemoaning the situation in front of her - "Man, I really want to be able to adopt your kids, Robyn, so we don't lose them in case you die". "But you can't, because we're not married". "Damn, this sucks". 

Meri - "Aha! I'll divorce Kody so he can marry Robyn and he will love me even more and the whole world will know what an honorable woman I am!"

• Love 5

I'm still convinced that this all began when Robyn told Kody that if they didn't get married, there'd be no more kids from her (and possibly a lack of sex as well).  Kody, doing all of his thinking with Lil' Kody, said "fine, no problem!"  Whereupon Meri came up with the martyr's edit to convince everyone (including herself) that she was fine with all this, and Janelle and Christine just kind of stayed out of it.

• Love 7

Shouldn't legal adoption of those kids have no bearing on whether Robyn's oldest three end up on Kody's planet or whatever the afterlife thing is for them?

I would wager all of my earnings that even a Mormon scholar could not possibly explain this whole thing with any clarity.  It's so goofy to begin with but throw in all of the vagaries of modern marriage/divorce/adoptions and there is no way in hell this stuff can be mapped out.  And since the Brown Clowns make it up as they go along....

Especially "making it up as they go along." I don't think their faith is half as important as they make it sound. The whole "planet" thing doesn't align with all their past marriages and divorces, let alone the rest of it.

The planet thing confuses the hell out of me. What happens when your kids get married? Wouldn't they go to their own husband's planets? Are there highways connecting to two?

That's the question I have always had. The boys would have their own planets and the girls would go to their husbands planets. And if Robyn's children didn't ever marry, they would go to her first husband's planet (despite adoption) because they were sealed to him when born, or something like that. Robyn would also go to her first husband's planet unless she was unsealed from him after divorce. Not sure about the highway thing. 

• Love 6

No, I don't think she did either. I'm sure Kody and Robyn sat around bemoaning the situation in front of her - "Man, I really want to be able to adopt your kids, Robyn, so we don't lose them in case you die". "But you can't, because we're not married". "Damn, this sucks". 

Meri - "Aha! I'll divorce Kody so he can marry Robyn and he will love me even more and the whole world will know what an honorable woman I am!"

THIS!  It's almost like you were there.

• Love 5